Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet TrailBlazer Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• johnny83johnny83 Member Posts: 2
    My TB is a 05 and after I drive for a while the speedometer freezes and eventualy goes to zero. Is this in the cluster or in a sensor. If it is in the cluster can I just change it or will the mileage not stay the same
  • jerrcribjerrcrib Member Posts: 21
    I would check for a sensor but more then likely its a problem within the cluster you can change the cluster and the mileage will remain the same
    back blower is seperate from front,i had this problem and changed the ac/heat control module,fairley simple job,manuel will help but does not show all the bolts and screws you have to remove. cortrol module 200.00 plus at dealer.rock auto parts has it for about 138.00. ac delco has it for around 165.00
    check by hand grab fan and see if you can wiggle it up,down sideways.could be water pump bearings,check bolts on fan for looseness
  • ceetownceetown Member Posts: 1
    I just had my instrument cluster replaced because it was making a noise that sounded like air was escaping and a grinding noise. The grind is gone, but at start-up it still sounds like air is escaping from somewhere in the cluster. any ideas?
  • seneciosenecio Member Posts: 3
    I bought an 06 Trailblazer and had my one year anniversary Dec 6th of 2008. It has been a NIGHTMARE since I bought it and the dealership won't buy it back. I was hoping there were similar issues that someone could suggest that I have them look at at the dealership, they are ready to total it so they don't have to look at it anymore, I didn't think that was a good solution. Here are a few of the issues:
    -Sounds and feels like driving on rumble strips at 45-70mph LOUDLY.
    -Tranny intermitant shifting problems
    -Mild intermitant vibration at 35-70 mph in gas pedal
    -Diminished Eng Capacity Light comes on and off
    - Intermitant 12mph max speed
    -Speed/Power cuts out randomly (no more acceleration regardless of gas pedal pressure)
    -Trac light intermitantly on
    -Check engine light intermitatly on
    -Clock auto resets itself occasionally
    -Intermitant power steering
    -Gas mpg drop to 10 if I'm lucky maybe up to 12mpg
    -CD randomly pops out on startup or shut down or while driving
    -Vehicle shakes and chugs worse than a disel pickup on start up occasionally
    -Cruise control sometimes quits on its own
    -Replaced transmission pump/ignition switch
    -Torque converter locking up (tech told me potential problem)
    -Starter sometimes has issues, turn key and nothing...no click, hard turnover, nothing then wait 10-15 seconds and without touching the ignition switch the truck starts.
    -Continually warping rotors
    -Clunk on occasion when shifting from "P" to "R" or "R" to "D"
    -After startup while idling sometimes there is a loud clunk from the passenger side sounds like someone is kicking the side of the truck
    -Windows intermitantly work powering up
    -Transmission "whistles" when rpm's going up to shift occasionally
    -Radio/CD sometimes just shuts off
    That's about all I can think of off the top of my head I have had it in the shop at least 50 times in the past year and they keep telling me their computer doesn't say anything.....last week it lit up like the 4th of July but they still couldn't figure out why all the problems. If anyone can help with ideas that would be great, I don't know what else to do. It is all still under warrenty thank goodness!!!
  • rose15rose15 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 trailblazer. When I apply the gas pedal it shifts ok. But when I get up to a good speed and release the gas pedal it doesn't shift down. What is the problem?
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    I don't exactly understand your question. It you release the pedal it won't shift down right away while your coasting, it's based on speed, demand, load, many variables and controlled by the PCM. When you stop and start out again it shifts from first gear up through the entire range, right?
  • jdodge0001jdodge0001 Member Posts: 3
    I own a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer, which I love. I love the way it looks, the way it drives, and the overall features it has. HOWEVER, it is a piece of crap. Last Friday, the speedometer malfunctioned like everyone elses, and then today I rolled my window down at the ATM and it wouldn't roll back up. Of course it was raining. If that isn't enough, of course my warranty just expired. The dealership says it is a well known issue, but GM isn't doing anything about it, and it would be a little over 1000 to get fixed. If GM knows this is a problem they need to step up to the plate. I want to buy American made, but if we can't stand behind the products we make then I am crossing over.
  • deerhunter3deerhunter3 Member Posts: 2
    We own a 2004 Chevy Trailblazer LS, 6 cylinder - inline, 4WD, that has about 45,000 miles on it. We live in the central/southern part of Nebraska. We are using 5W30 Quaker State Oil in it right now and are getting about 16 miles to the gallon. We change oil about every 3000 miles. We would like to get better gas mileage out of it. It was recommended to us that we first consider changing the type of oil we use from the regular oil to a synthetic oil. What are your comments on doing this? How much of an increase would there be in mpg? If we did change to a synthetic oil, what type of oil and oil filter would you recommend? What are the steps to follow in changing from regular oil to a synthetic oil? Are there other ways to improve the mpg on this vehicle other than just changing the type of oil we use?

deerhunter3
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Changing from one kind of oil to another may affect your gas mileage somewhat but the greatest improvements in gas mileage usually come from adjustments to driving habits.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • deerhunter3deerhunter3 Member Posts: 2
    I was considering changing the oil to Mobil 10W30 synthetic during the next oil change. But one of the guys in the shop recommended that I use a synthetic blend during the change process (3 oil changes) then use the full synthetic oil after that throughout the length of time that I own the vehicle. I thought it was not a good idea to use a synthetic blend, that I should switch to a full synthetic oil right away. What are your thoughts.

Thanks
    deerhunter3
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I am by no means an expert on oil, synthetics or otherwise, so I can't advise. With a little luck, someone who knows will drop by and provide some guidance! Anyone?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • cavalier14cavalier14 Member Posts: 4
    My mom recently bought a 2004 TrailBlazer LT with the 4.2L Inline-6 that has a hair less than 35,000 miles on it. The second day she had it, the "Service Engine Soon" light flashed about 3 times and then shut off. It does this periodically and absolutely randomly. Other than that, it seems to run fine. I hooked my scanner up to it to see if there were any pending codes that wouldn't have set off the light and I came up empty handed. Please let me know if you know what's going on. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
  • leabugleabug Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2005 Chevy Trailblazer LS and I have had this happen to me only a couple of times. However, I previously owned a Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo and this also happened a few times. This may sound weird but it has something to do with your gas cap or door. Next time it happens, try this. First, turn the engine off. Then open the door to the gas, take gas cap off and then replace. Make sure it is correctly in place then shut the door back. Then just restart your engine. The "check engine" light should go off. Very simple and it has always worked for me. I also noticed that it usually only occurs just after filling the tank completely. My problem right now is the cluster. I was hoping there was a recall on it since I have heard that many have complained about this same problem. My speedometer works on occasion but the fuel gauge stays on empty at all times and the oil pressure gauge stays at 120. Its really irritating and my warranty has also expired.
  • biglinkbiglink Member Posts: 13
    It could be that the gas tank has a crack in it Chevy will replace it for free or the catalytic converter could be going bad they will also replace that for free. It could be as simple as the gas cap not on tight enough however the two things that I mentioned before went bad on mine.
  • paulanthonydfwpaulanthonydfw Member Posts: 6
    My 2006 Trailblazer LS started acting funny about a month ago. The gas gauge will go to the correct reading and then after about 1 minute it will go to empty and the amber light will come on. I guess I should take it in to the local chevy dealer, has anyone had this similar problem. Also there is a whining noise coming from the engine when you give it gas. I'm no longer under warranty so any help would be appreciated. This has been a great vehicle and my first Chevy. Thanks!
  • trailblazer1trailblazer1 Member Posts: 18
    Love my 02 Trailblazer as well. Currently have over 200,000 miles and runs as good know as when I first bought it. Beautiful Black Onyx color. Never had any major problems. Just change all the fluids when recommended.

Anyway, according to past posts the whining noise comes from a worn idle pulley. My 02 has the same noise but not a big issue. Have not experienced the gas gauge problem. Maybe somewhen else could steer you to the right fix.

Hope this helps.
  • gramm6654gramm6654 Member Posts: 3
    Hey There! I have an 07' Trailblazer with only 1 problem to date. The rear window won't lock. Unlike others, the alarm does go off when opened. When I do lock it, it sounds like the lock engages. Am I doing something wrong or is this a common problem? I didn't find much when searching for this before posting this.

Thanks for your help.
  • phrnzyphrnzy Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if you had the BOSE sound system in your TB and if you have had the "no sound" problem again with it. If it happens when it is cold outside and the vehicle is cold (below freezing) it is a problem that GM issued a TSB on but they have since either lost it or deleted it. I have been chasing this problem on my '04 Bravada. I have found references to the TSB online in a couple of places.
  • sorryownersorryowner Member Posts: 3
    I have had my 2003 TB in the shop several times for no brake lights and no cruise control. They finally found the problem, but of course it wasnt covered by the ext warranty. I got it fixed elsewhere alot cheaper. Now I have the passenger side temp control panel light out. The driver side still works ??? Any suggestions? Also, the front end ( I think it has to do with the brakes) is making a squeeling noise the majority of the time that I drive it. I was told it is just dust. Also, something in the rear end rattles everytime I hit any kind of bump. Sounds like something is ready to fall off any minute. Of course, the dealership mechanics tell me they cannot find anything. I am tired of spending the 99.99 deductible to have them tell me its not covered by the warranty or they can't find anything...must be in my head. Also, I am very disappointed with the gas mileage! Also there is a rattling in the back passenger door panel when I close the door and rattling in the dashboard on and off. It has just started "choking" a little when I back it out of the driveway and change it into drive, almost stalling. I have really wanted to get rid of this vehicle and get a foriegn SUV but I owe too much on the TB. I will never purchase another GM product.
  • sorryownersorryowner Member Posts: 3
    I have an 03 TB and had the same problem. Check engine light, tried making sure the gas cap was on right, everything else the dealership told me to check. Turns out it was a hole in my gas tank. Thankfully I had extended warranty. It would have cost me 1300.00 for the new tank had it not been covered. Sorry to have to tell you that, it's not good. Hopefully that is not your problem
  • dbl2ddbl2d Member Posts: 1
    Hey, I also have '07 Trailblazer with rear window that won't lock and won't alarm. Yours is the first posting I've seen on this issue. I assume I need to bring it in for service. Sorry no help.
  • juliep83juliep83 Member Posts: 2
    I've had my 05 trailblazer since July '06. The first year was good.. no problems.First, my radio (lights and everything) would just stop. I took it to the dealer and they reprogramed something and it was fixed... then last fall, i had a really loud noise coming from the engine and had it to the dealer several times before they found out that it was a problem with the alternator. They fixed it, then it was fine. Now in the last 4 months or so, i have many many problems! First my gas guage would just "bounce" around. It would say full then 1 minute later the low fuel light is on. Now pretty much all the time it says i'm on empty then it goes up to where it should be then down again. Also it has stalled quite a few times, when i first start it. Sometimes when i start it, it seems like it doesn't want to stay running then it will get a "burst" of power (while still in park) it seems like i am pushing the gas pedal. It is making a whining sound, my headlights flicker, half of the climate control lights are out, when i get above 40 mph it vibrates for a few seconds and then quits (also if i let off the gas it quits) it doesn't do that a lot but has done it a few times. This past winter, i had it in 4x4 low and all of a sudden it seemed like it didn't want to go, so i put in back in 2 and it made a loud boom and my whole car shook, sometimes it seems like it doesn't want to shift, clunks when i shift out of park, it also feels like i am driving on rubmle strips at time when i get aroun 40 -50 mph..... I talked to someone that works for a GM dealer (service) and he told me that some of the modules need replaced.... Does that sound like thats all it is??? Any advice??????
    :mad:
  • doingitbigws6doingitbigws6 Member Posts: 1
    My mom has a 05 TB it was doing real good for maybe 3-4 months when all of a sudden it wouldn't want to turn on at all. We used to have a system (sub woofers) in there with the stock radio an door speakers since we got it, had no problems with it then just one day my mom got out of work an it wouldn't start for like an hour or two, finally it started no problem with alternator or battery she got home an had to run to the store when it didn't want to turn on anymore,so it sat on the drive way for a week, when it finally turned back on she had no problems with it for about two weeks the system was pulled out for a week already. Then about three weeks after the car wouldn't start it did the same thing it wouldn't start left her at work so my brother towed it with my dad's truck got it home checked the fuses nothing was wrong with then but still wouldn't turn on we got it to turn on like two hours later ran good for another week then she was paying some bills in town when the car was making this loud noise while she was driving then it started to stall IN HEAVY TRAFFIC luckily she pulled into a store fast enough turned it back on like if nothing is wrong the next day if finally gave out just no crank everything is still good it just won't start so me an my brother pulled of the dash, the wire's underneath the steering column, fuse box underneath the hood messed with everything it still won't start. finally took it to the dealership were we got it an they couldn't find anything earthier i don't know whats wrong with it, my dad, me and my brother do mechanic work all the time an we can't find the problem never have i ever, ever encountered a problem like this. Please if anybody know's or has the same problems we have an found some kind of a solution it would be helpful the Trail Blazer has been at the dealer for 2 weeks now going on 3 and still they can't find anything wrong with it and it's hasn't been working for a month now :sick:
  • lanitiaglanitiag Member Posts: 1
    My 2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer LS gas gauge read empty and the light came on right after I filled up and a few minutes later started bouncing back and forward. This put into a panic because I only had my Trailblazer a year what happen next lead me to call the dealership. My engine light came on and my 07 trailblazer sounded like it was idled up when I drove. I took it in for a diagnosis which they said it was the fuel sensor $539 and suggested I also replace the fuel module which pushed the repair up to $1001. I was floored and upset. This is my second trailblazer I previously on a 2005 which I turned in due to a recall. I will not buy another TrailBlazer. Although my suv has 47000 miles I do not believe I should be having problem with this particular part. After placing a complaint with the dealership and corporate recall office They refuse to offer any help as of today 5/7/2008.
  • tbbluestbblues Member Posts: 1
    Got an '03 Trailblazer EXT with front diff noise, took it to the dealer to have repaired.
    After 2 weeks informed by dealer that no front diffs are available because American
    Axle is on strike. Ask about availability of parts to rebuild diff told they are available,
    had dealer remove diff from vehicle and ordered parts at my work--A Medium Duty GMC dealership. After most parts are bought and installed told ring gear and pinion are not available. Now I'm out lots of money, have a vehicle I cant put back together. and a Spat case that says we will try to find your parts. I will never park another GM product in my driveway. THE CUSTOMER SERVICE SUCKS. THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE CONSUMER AFTER THE VEHICLE IS OFF OF THE LOT. THIS VEHICLE IS MY WIFES PRIMARY TRANSPORTATION, THE RESPONSE FROM GM IS TOTALLY UNSATISFACTORY!!!! :mad:
  • juliep83juliep83 Member Posts: 2
    My '05 Tb had the same problem! i took it to the dealership and they told me it needed a fuel sending unit repair kit. $120 part and a total of $400 with labor... i took it to my mechanic and had it done for $175 including the part! My mechanic told me when he was calling around to get the part people were acting like he was crazy that there was no such thing as a sending unit repair kit... there is though. He had to order it from the dealership (GM) but i saved $$$ on labor. If anyone tells you there is no such thing they are way wrong!!! A new sending unit is $300-$400 so the repair kit is well worth it!!! Good luck!
  • jaketrtl1jaketrtl1 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 05 Trailblazer and the engine light has been staying on. When I hook it up to a tester the code is 410, what does that mean and what needs to be fixed?? :confuse:
  • grettlgrettl Member Posts: 2
    Chevrolet secrets....?

Can anyone tell me what type of Fuel/Air Sensors are installed in my 2007-TB with a v8 engine... Narrow-band or High-band....?
  • njoycenjoyce Member Posts: 2
    I am looking at buying a used 2002 trailblazer lt with 111000 miles on it and I was wondering what are the routine maintainence things that need to be done with it? Please help me out. Thanks!
    If there's not a maintenance/repair history for it I would stay away from it.
  • grettlgrettl Member Posts: 2
    Hi Karen S...

Unless your mechanically inclined, I would certainly get some help from a friend, knowledgable in that make and model or have an inspection by a professional. There are just too many "if's" when purchasing a vehicle with 111,000 on it. Very hard to say how it was maintained, if it was, or even when the last time the oil was changed. I would seek local help on that one..... good luck....
  • njoycenjoyce Member Posts: 2
    thanks for the advice. I will do that
  • renee76renee76 Member Posts: 2
    Last month, someone backed into my '02 TB, causing damage to front bumper cover & passenger headlight. I've gotten those repaired, however my bumper cover is noticeably looser on the passenger side than it is on the driver side. I was told that this is normal & all TB's are this way. I'm just trying to see if anyone else has had this problem, or noticed if their cover is loose before really pitching a fit at the body shop! Thanks for any help....
    How is it looser? On the corner around where it ends near the wheel, or just looser overall?
  • renee76renee76 Member Posts: 2
    If you grab the bumper above the passenger tow hook & tug, the bumper is moveable about an inch. On the driver side, the bumper only moves slightly in the same area. It's not uniformly tight on both sides.
  • tms6tms6 Member Posts: 1
    My 2006 TB has been drivivng fine but when I set on the gas, it sounds really loud. The normal sound of the TB when stepping on the gas was quite but now it is getting louder. Someone told me to check the power steering fluid level, that was fine. The sound worries me, no warning lights are on. Does anyone know what the loudness could be from?
    That bumper cover is held on mostly by plastic fasteners. Maybe you can look up underneath and see if some are missing. Body shops don't always put them all back in, or put in the wrong size and they fall out. If I remember correctly the only bolts are on the top of the cover right under the grille, the rest are all plastic fasteners. There's a large hidden clip on each side that locks onto a post when the cover is slid on, that's why I asked if it was loose near the front wheel. There's also support bars underneath, but they too are held on with plastic fasteners.
    It would help if you described the sound. Is it a loud roaring fan noise?
  • farley1farley1 Member Posts: 1
    04 Blazer w/100K miles. I have lots of give/looseness in my steering wheel. Instead of being tight I have to oversteer constantly when driving straight ahead.
    Curious to the solution and is it something a home mechanic can take care of.
  • madisonsmommymadisonsmommy Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem. I have a 2005 trailblazer. For the whining I replaced the Smooth Idle pulley and the alternator. But I do not know what to do about the gas gauge. Chevy offers an additative for the gas tank. I added it yesterday but the light is still moving back and fourth. I really don't want to take it in and have them drop the gas tank. I am sure that is really expensive.
  • paulanthonydfwpaulanthonydfw Member Posts: 6
    Thanks Madisonsmommy! I took it to my local Chevy dealer here in Dallas. The service advisor seemed to think the same thing. I also need to have the fuel sensor replaced. My gas gauge will not even move anymore, and when I fill up the engine light comes on and the engine seems to lose power. Go figure the warranty just ran out :(
  • garfield8garfield8 Member Posts: 1
    I just joined the Trailblazer forum. I happened to run accross your problem. By now you might have gotten it fixed or since have sold it. But, if you are still having the problem, you might want to have the transmission fliud flushed out. They can do it at any like 10 minute oil change or someplace like that. That's what it sounds like to me. Sounds more like the transmission's not shifting like it's supposed to in the lower gears. Hope that helps. :)
  • trailblazer5trailblazer5 Member Posts: 1
    well, like it says, i've apparently blown the driver's side front speaker. i dont know what speakers are compatible with my trailblazer, or if i just need to get a new bose speaker from the dealer. i've checked ebay, and i find no bose speakers for a trailblazer except those from a 2006 ss trailblazer (which obviously wont work--they take four screws and mine only takes three).

is there really any difference in the bose speakers from the standard speakers? and does anyone know what models would be compatible with my trailblazer? i have no idea.

help me out guys.
  • trailblazer1trailblazer1 Member Posts: 18
    Here's an interesting fact you might be interested in about the that driver side speaker in the 2002 TB. It may not be the speaker!

I've had a problem with that speaker going on and off for quite some time.

When it stays off I've noticed this additional sympton - all my indicator chimes won't work. The chime for the low gas level, chime for the turn signal staying on too long, and the chime for turning off the daylight headlamps.

The strangest part of this is that when the car sits long enough in the afternoon
    and the temperature in the car gets really hot the speaker come backs on.

So when the chimes all work the speaker works or vice versa.

I truly believe it's a control modlue issue not the speaker. Just have not had the time to get it resolved. You may want to check this out for yourself as well as see if anyone else has had this unusual problem.
  • sunshine06sunshine06 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2006 Trailblazer in Dec 07. No problems until just last week. Tried to start it...no sound, nothing. After a few times, it will sound as though it won't turn over...and eventually it will start. The next day, it stalled while I was driving...lost power steering, everything. No check engine light or anything on. Took it to the dealer...started right up for them for 3 DAYS!!! Got it back home and it was fine for four days. Now it's doing it again. There seems to be a delay before turning over, but won't start right up. After three or four times, and removing the key completely, it will start. Dealer says they cannot find the problem if there are no diagnostic lights on for them to check codes for.
  • daduv2boysdaduv2boys Member Posts: 1
    I just my 2006 TB in the shop yesterday for the same thing. They replaced the idler pulley and the sound had gone away completely. Mine was under warranty still, so I have no idea of the cost but I can't imagine it was too much, they only had a little over an hour. Let me know if this helped!!!
  • jctrailblazerjctrailblazer Member Posts: 1
    I've had my '07 trailblazer for nearly a year now, and I've had no problems/accidents with it. It's still new, though something is wrong in my seat adjustments. After getting out to pump gas, my set reset itself. When I got in to change it back, my driver's seat is advanced forward as far as it can go, and refuses to move back. I can use the rest of the commands(ex; tilting the back or bed of the seat). Is there a setting locked that I failed to see or is this an issue I can't resolve on my own? Help me out if possible, thank you.
  • mrjames2mrjames2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Trailblazer with the same problem need help!