Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet TrailBlazer Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• doug55doug55 Member Posts: 2
    Ended up having the dealership do mine, ran out of time (I needed a inspection sticker). When I asked them, they said that there were only two latches to undo in order to get the assembly out.
  • claymclaym Member Posts: 4
    I had the same problem. The belt was glazed over and the dealer replaced it under warranty. Another cause could be the idler pully bearings are going out. I'd replace the belt and see what happens.
  • bxjohnsbxjohns Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if you are able to retrieve the trouble codes on the trailblazer without a scanning tool. On my previous automobiles it was possible through the radio controls. I may have problems with the transmission and cooling fan clutch, hoping to be able to get as much information as I can before taking it in for service.

Thanks for any response,
    KJ
  • myfire101myfire101 Member Posts: 1
    I have an '02 Trailblazer. My 3rd brake light is out and we can't figure out how to replace it. Everytime I go to the dealership and ask them, they say I don't want to know the price to fix it. My husband is extremely handy and is willing to fix it himself, but he doesn't know where to start. Is in all one piece? Is it individual bulbs inside??? How do you get the cover off?
  • trailblazer1trailblazer1 Member Posts: 18
    O2 TB were notorious for rear light bulbs continuously going out. Eventually I had to replace the entire housing to correct the problem. Have not had the same occurrence since.

Replacing a bulb or the entire light housing lens assemblies are very easy.

1) Raise up the back end tailgate door.

2) Once the gate is open and your looking at the tail light lens you'll see two
    screws that hold the housing(s) to the body fender. Remove the two screws to simply detach the housing from the car. As you detach and pull the housing away from the vehicle you'll notice that the housing is tethered to the car via a cable with a plug on the end. Detach the plug from the housing. Now your light assembly lens assembly is free from the vehicle.

3) Notice the pins on the back of the lens housing where you detached the cable.
    That entire assembly is held in place by 4 small screws. If your just replacing burned out light(s) you'll need to remove those screws and take that piece off the back of the housing to get access to the lights for removal. The bulbs are in individual sockets. Simply pull them out and replace.

4) If you decide to replace the entire housing with a new one, which I highly recommend, the new housing will come with new bulbs.

Hope this helps your situation.
  • slm9976slm9976 Member Posts: 1
    My driver side power seats quit working. Well, not altogether, but it will not move forward/backward. Anyone have this problem and know how to correct it?
  • tblazedtblazed Member Posts: 945
    On the 3rd brake light, aka Center High Mounted Stop Light "CHMSL" it is known to fail. You have to replace the whole light assembly because it is sealed and not repairable. It has a long neon tube and electronic module inside to power it, no way to open it without destroying it because of the way it's glued together. The '02s and '03s came with a neon CHMSL. It is no longer available. Dealer replacement is with the newer type LED CHMSL from '04+. Supposedly the whole top trim molding piece the light mounts to also has to be replaced and painted to match the vehicle, in order to upgrade to the newer type LED light, so that's probably why they don't want to tell you how much it will cost. Or, maybe find one from an '02-'03 in a salvage yard or on eBay. If you can find a good used old type CHMSL from an '02 or '03 that would be the easiest cheapest fix. To get to it, you raise the rear window glass and take out two screws. But before you do that, raise the whole liftgate, remove two push pins from the headliner at the rear, there will be a smaller wire from the top of the liftgate to a rubber grommet, on the other side of the grommet above the headliner is the plug. Unplug it and pull the grommet out with the wire and connector, then lower the liftgate, raise the window, and remove the CHMSL. Do not raise the liftgate with the window open! Good Luck!
  • trapjack4trapjack4 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone had a problem with various tubing rusting through? Have a 03 Trailblazer LT that has had power steering tubing rust through which was partially compensated by Chevy. Since then I have had tubing that supplied heat to the back vents rust through. These lines I had bypassed so that I at least have heat to the defroster. Also the AC tubing has rusted through so I have no AC and it looks like the tubing for the transmission cooler is pretty rusty and I don't know how much I can trust it. Although it drives nice I've been pretty disappointed with this vehicle considering all the above problems plus how fast it goes through brakes and rotors. Two sets so far. About ready to ditch it rather than make more repairs. Only have about 75,000 miles on it.
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    Can't speak about the rusting tubes, but everyone I talk to has nothing but good things to say about the brake life on the TB. Ours has 64K on the original brakes and the fronts are only worn about 60%.
  • kabakkabak Member Posts: 7
    HI ! I have a TB 02 with only 90,000 km

Please can you give me some points to check to repair a fan problem

when I push the fan's arrow to use the fan, the lights move but the fan don't !

I tried to search in the forum but I'm not sure that they speak about the same problem.

some talking about burning pieces, others about corrosion

thanks for your help !
    I just comeback from the garage and I think that my problem is near to be solved.

for find the resistor ( trial blazer 2002 cj2 )

between the floor and the glove box you have a panel
    ( two screws to remove ( 7mm )) behind you will find two things
    the resistor and the motor

check the motor first... remove 3 screws ( 5.5 mm )
    and with cables directly to a 12 v battery
    if the motor don't turn it is dead

after, check if you have power out of resistor ( with a light tester, start the car and push the blowers buttons, the light may be burn too ) mine was ok.

here you see the panel ( in small ) the resistor ( my model ) and at the right top of the photo you have a part of the case of the motor ( 3 screws 5.5 mm )

• kfragkfrag Member Posts: 1
    I just had to replace the power steering lines due to rust. I have also had to replace the fuel sending module due to rust through of the tubes. I,m assuming the A/C and transmition lines are next. We are getting rid of this vehicle ASAP. Other problems so far: Replaced the steering rack, cooling fan, water pump, front wheel bearings, and all four brake rotors. I have a 2003 EXT with 65,000 miles. :mad:
  • joanybjoanyb Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2004 Chevy trailblazer with the same problem, the fuse thing previously brought up did not fix it. any other suggestions?
    finaly, I was curious to see if the motor was so dead as it appeared !

I opened the motor and surprise ! many black dust and a bit of rust

the little room where the spring extend was dirty ( 1 ) , I cleaned and slided the carbon many times,

probably, it was why only one carbon was touching the center ( # 2 piece )

I rebuilded the motor ( a bit difficult to put the carbons at the goods places )
    and tested directly on a battery ! the motor is still running !

• wocwoc Member Posts: 3
    Yes, I have a 2003 TB and the seat will not move forward or backward, just up down and the back rest moves. Had it from day one. At one time had a loose cable assembly under the rear carpet, had a pinched wire. I had several issues , power going to the instument cluster was intermitent. Seat worked for one day, not to work again. Very strange problem. I have had no luck finding issue. :confuse:
  • wocwoc Member Posts: 3
    My window goes down, but only up 4 inches from top then stops? I believe someone tampered with window, trying to break in to car. Any ideas to repair?
  • tblazedtblazed Member Posts: 945
    Nice work on the illustration! And congratulations fixing the motor.
  • vargovargo Member Posts: 1
    I've only got 38K miles on my trailblazer but the water pump is history. I would rather not take it in to get it fixed so I purchased a new one. Now I realize that maybe it is something I should not try to do myself. Do you have to have a special tool to take off and replace? Do you have to remove the fan shroud first? Should I take it in to someone else?

Thanks,
    Dan
  • trix4trix4 Member Posts: 1
    My auto's fuel gauge registers empty except for when I fill it up. /then it registers briefly about a quarter of a tank. Asked brake place if they had any idea about it. They did a scan on it and said the computer chip needs replaced and that it would cost $500 to replace plus more to install. Is this the only thing it could be? What else should I do?
    No, it's not the only thing it could be. My suggestion is get it diagnosed at a good auto electric shop, which for most people means a trip to the dealer.
  • graydog59graydog59 Member Posts: 5
    Tracy,
    Did you ever get the 4wd repaired? I have a friend who's having the same problem. I suspect it's the actuator but I don't want to spend $100. (part only) on a guess.
    Please let me know how/if you resolved it.
    Thanks
  • jwmarlantajwmarlanta Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a 2004 Trailblazer back in May 08 and through the hot summer I ran the AC often. Water would build up on the floor board on the passenger side. I thought I had a windshield leak but now I am convienced it is the AC draining inside the car. Maybe the hose has come loose from the drain plug in the unit? any ideas or solutions short of taking it to the dealer would be welcome unless there is a recall which I could not find.
  • jwmarlantajwmarlanta Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2004 Trailblazer at Car Max back in May 08 and through the hot summer I ran the AC often. Water would build up on the floor board on the passenger side. I thought I had a windshield leak but now I am convinced it is the AC draining inside the car. Maybe the hose has come loose from the drain plug in the unit? any ideas or solutions short of taking it to the dealer would be welcome unless there is a recall which I could not find.
  • bluechevy1bluechevy1 Member Posts: 10
    Hello Sorryowner.. not sure if you still have the TB or not. I had the same problem with my 04' TB when I first purchased with the passenger side temp control light out. It was a minor nussance but the car only had 29,000 miles on it at the time and i wanted it repaired. The GM dealer had to order a whole new panel. Apparently there are no bulbs to replace. I was also having problems with the air flow direction not working properly. The new panel took care of both problems..

To respond to your question about my radio not working.. That only happened to me once, the chimes sometime work/sometimes not. I do not have the BOSE stereo. Mine has the regular factory radio with cd/cassette combo.
  • stankiestankie Member Posts: 2
    Hey Everyone,

Just had the front brakes/rotors replaced and the back ones sanded/pads replaced at the chevy dealership on my 04 Trailblazer. A new noise is coming from the car every time the wheels turn. Like something is grinding - sounds almost like a bird chirping(I now....That's scary). Went back on Friday - they visually inspected the brakes and everything looked find - Told me to drive it a couple of days and if it doens't go away - call. the noise is driving me crazy and people are looking at me on the highway(stuck in traffic) like I'm crazy.I have an appointment tomorrow - What could be wrong?

Thanks,

Stankie
  • pitaz33pitaz33 Member Posts: 1
    I am currently trying to replace the rear hatch struts since they no longer stay in the open position. I purchased OEM struts from the dealer and my only problem is that the new struts are stuck in the open position. Is there something I must do to get them to open and close?
  • hrob421hrob421 Member Posts: 1
    Not sure if anyone has had this issue. When I first start my '04 TB, within 10 seconds, a series of clicking noises can be heard near the right rear wheel well, from inside the vehicle. The clicks come in a series of nine clicks, stops for a second, then starts again. This goes on for about 2 minutes then stops. This happens every time the vehicle is started, either cold, or after running for a while. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • chapablazerchapablazer Member Posts: 1
    Hi Stankie, did you figure out what was the cause of this? I have a rear pasenger wheel that is doing the same thing.

Doug C
    My 02 has been having the same problem w/ intermittent issue of the headlights not coming on. Just spent $$$ to have a sensor replaced, but within 3 weeks of this fix the problem has returned.

Did you ever resolve your's with a permanent fix?
    More than likely it is the contacts on the sending unit. I had the same prob on my 06 TB. It eventually quit working altogether and triggered the Check Engine Light. Anew sending unit with fuel pump (only way they come), was over $500. I removed the sending unit and sent it to Tri-Starr Radiator. They rebuilt it for $170.00 and it's working great. I haven't followed up on it yet but I'm told that there may have been a recall on this. Also, since the CEL light was reading an emissions code, it may be covered under the 100,000 mile emissions warranty.
    Link to Tri-Starr: http://www.tristarrradiator.com/
    Good luck.
    Good chance that it's as simple as the external drain being plugged. Look under hood on passenger side firewall area as well as under vehicle in the same area. I'm not sure where it's located exactly but it should be in this area. Look for a rubber tube that looks like it's squeezed shut. You can open it up by squeezing it and determine if it's plugged. Good luck.
  • bubs1bubs1 Member Posts: 1
    First my battery died. Jump started to get home. Changed battery. After this my 4WD selector switch did not light up. Put in new switch. Did not fix problem. Does not light up and wont let me get into 4WD. Fuse OK. Any solutions?
  • PcolaSurfer85PcolaSurfer85 Member Posts: 2
    Ok well i am having loud sounds like winening coming from the alternator i think. it happens at start up and keeps going and gets louder when i and pressing the gas. Is this the same as your problem? and if so how did u fix it? thanks 2006 chevy TB LS
    Many Trailblazers have had the same issue with the winning sound. The fix has been to replace the idle pulley which has worn out. Have the same problem with my 02 but is not real annoying...yet!
  • PcolaSurfer85PcolaSurfer85 Member Posts: 2
    ok thanks bud and mine is so annoyin its not even funny bro
  • biglinkbiglink Member Posts: 13
    My 03EXT first transmission went out with just over 70k and then 16mo. later went out again. No help from GM. I have owned a 99 Blazer and 02 Trailblazer with no real issues however this 03 has had numerous from cracked gas tank to catalytic converter going out as well as now having loud engine noise!
  • stankiestankie Member Posts: 2
    Hi Doug - Just a small fix by the dealership and off I went. They didn't get into details, but they didn't fix something right the first time - Regardless - Everything is all set. Thanks,

Stankie
  • txpeachmomtxpeachmom Member Posts: 1
    My cigarette lighter outlet quit working, and I found that the fuse was blown. After I replaced it. The cigarette outlet started working, but accessory outlets (next to cigarette outlet & on back console) isn't working. I have searched throught my manual, and I cannot find the number for the location of the fuse for the accessory outlet. The cigarette outlet was 13, but I don't know what the book is calling the accessory outlet under the descriptions for the fuse locations. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
  • dawnandmark10dawnandmark10 Member Posts: 3
    My wife and I are planning to buy a 2002 trailblazer LTZ. We really like the body style and features and have read many good things about it. As with all vehicles I know there are problems and we've read our share of complaints. We are not the complaining type, and I'm not worried about fixing a few things.

But what's up with the paint on the steering wheel and radio buttons wearing off?! Every trailblazer, envoy, and bravada we've looked at from that year (and other years I think) have the same problem. What happened? Is there a fix or a recall on that? It looks so annoying!
  • StevesintnStevesintn Member Posts: 1
    I have an 04 TB that has developed a high pitch whine that changes up and down with the RPM's of the engine. I have not noticed any decrease in power or actually any other problems at all but the high pitched whine is getting louder and louder. At a drive thru the other day, I had to shut the engine off so the girl could hear me. Any ideas?
  • biglinkbiglink Member Posts: 13
    The dealer says it comes from the oils on your fingers and they will not do anything about it.
    Nice! I've not seen that happen on other vehicles I've owned. Sounds like a manufacturing problem. I hope they've solved it or have a new button-making company now. Can the buttons be replaced or removed and painted or something? It just looks so cheap. I've read about others' complaints about cheap materials used in those interiors, but I'm going to try and trust the Chevy name. The car looks and runs great otherwise, and I've also read positive opinions about it generally.

Thanks.

Anyone else have an opinion?
    I have an 02 and the steering wheel and radio buttons look just like they did the day I bought it. Maybe I have dry skin?
    I don't know. Its wierd. How do you like your '02 TB overall?
    Ours has been fine. We have about 72K on it and haven't had any real problems. It's was in the shop for minor warranty items and a couple of recalls. I have had to replace the rear shocks since one of them started to leak hydraulic fluid, plus replace the tires. Early on I replaced the factory rear sway bar with the Hotchkiss heavy duty one to minimize the sway that a lot of people complained about, that did the trick. The brakes are original and still have plenty of lining left. They're probably the best brakes overall that I have ever experienced. The rear suspension is sprung kind of soft in the back, but I understand it was on purpose so the ride isn't hard like a truck. When you put some load on the back like towing a trailer it firms right up.
    Don't break that tailgate glass however, someone broke ours and the bill to the insurance company was over $2,000 to replace it, and only about $100 was labor.
  • reidsreids Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Trailblazer ltz. When I drive vehicle in reverse, or if i make a turn when driving slow or when I come to a stop theres a load "clunking" noise coming from the rear end. My original thought is the rear diff, so I replaced the rear differential oil and theres no metal shards in the old stuff. After adding the new oil it still makes the noise. Now heres the other thing too. I wasn't able to get the fill plug out to "properly" fill the rear diff. so I had to force the oil into the top of the cover. It worked and theres no leaks (if been monitoring it for a week now) but the issue is I can't measure to see if I have enough fluid in it. I put almost 2 pints (jugs) of oil in it. Could that be the issue? of is there something else? This noise only is heard when driving slow (turns, reverse of stopping)
  • towmater1976towmater1976 Member Posts: 3
    I have had a misfire cylinder one and a compression of 90 with it draining off. I already know that I need a new motor. Here's the real kicker, my TB only has 49761 miles on it. I have no extra warranty on it. Everyone is telling me to contact GM about their good faith warranty has anyone had a similar problem.? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know I have a :lemon:
  • tbls04mujotbls04mujo Member Posts: 1
    i have the same sound...

ive looked for other problems similar to this one...

and everyone says they get a whining sound. but... the grinding sound and the air releasing is exactly how i would have explained it.

did you fix it by any chance??

my dad thinks i need to get a new muffler.. but i dont know if thats gonna help

but it is coming from the back.. back right... :/

mujotagani@hotmail.com

email me if you can help me out. thanks a lot :confuse: :confuse:
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    email me if you can help me out

It's best to keep the discussion right here. To do otherwise deprives other members of valuable information and tends to defeat the purpose of a Forum. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • ticadooticadoo Member Posts: 40
    Wasn't sure where to post this so..here it is. I have a "spoiler" over top of my rear gate on my 2003 Trailblazer, EXT. One morning after it had snowed (melted ice/snow must have re-frozen)..I forced the gate up to load trash..heard a "crunching noise" and now when I am going down the road and wind blows a certain way or I get up to 60 mph, it makes the worst noise..can't even here another person talk. What do I look at to fix? How do I fix???