Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet TrailBlazer Maintenance and Repair

1789101113»

Comments

• mathewsnellmathewsnell Member Posts: 4
    I have a couple wierd things going on with my 2006 trailblazer. First and most important, the port that is used to diagnose problems under the drivers side dash does not work. I have taken the vehicle to two places and they both say that they cannot connect to the vehicle for some reason. The second issue that I have is when the weather is damp or really cold, the trailblazer bogs down for 10-15 seconds when I first put it into drive and then accellerate. After 10 seconds or so, it is fine. Any ideas here would be appreciated.
  • fj4072fj4072 Member Posts: 29
    Do you have power to the cigarrette adapters? Could be fuse # 13 under the hood. If not, unscrew the port and make sure the wires are all still connected in there, check grounds too.

The 2nd issue MAY be loose bolts on the PLASTIC intake manifold. Try tightening the bolts, sometimes these come loose and just need to be retightened. This seems to be the problem when we're dealing with damp or cold issues.
  • tfjmtfjm Member Posts: 1
    The lease on my '07 is up in July. I'm trying to decide whether to purchase it or not. New tires and water pump last year. It's at 70,000 miles currently. What maintenance and repairs can I expect for the next 30,000 miles? I was going to have the dealership go thru the it completely and check everything. Feedback would be appreciated. Thank you.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    It's not uncommon at that mileage for weaknesses to show up in struts/shocks and in your battery. Also you might check the owner's manual to see if there's a "whopper" service schedule coming up at 90K or so.
  • sooner14sooner14 Member Posts: 2
    I have a leak in the extreme front end of my 05 trailblazer; it is a clearish brown fluid but I can't tell if it's oil or not. It does leave a rainbow effect on the ground when it rains. It appears to be leaking from a small pipe/tube leading to a long ribbed black plastic piece at the very front of the vehicle. There are no warning lights coming on and my oil level has not changed (still normal). I have a pic of the place it's leaking from but I don't know how to post it here. Any ideas?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited May 2011
    To post a pic, you need to park it on the net at a photo hosting site (like flickr.com or Picasa). Then you'd link to the pics on the host site.
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    Hmmm....Could be transmission fluid (it's red but can look brownish once it spreads out on the ground) leaking from a cooler line going to the radiator, or possibly power steering fluid, which is very similiar if not the same.
    Without a picture, it is difficult to say. I would just monitor all your fluids for now until you can find a definitive answer. Post a picture and we should be able to tell you exactly what it is.
  • sooner14sooner14 Member Posts: 2
    Took it in and the shop said it was transmission coolant that was leaking from a line/gasket going into the radiator. I didn't take it in, hubby did, so I didn't get all the answers I wanted, mainly: is transmission fluid the same thing as transmission coolant? If so, is there a way I can test the level to see if i need to add some (with this leak, I'm sure I do.) I can't get it fixed right now ($ issue) but I don't want to screw up the transmission by not having fluid in it.
    If it's not the same thing, how can I check the level of the tranny coolant and how do I refill it? The little pathetic book in the glovebox says nothing about transmission coolant, only fluid. And all it basically says about checking and changing the fluid is to have a pro do it because it's difficult.
    This is probably not a big ticket item to repair and very risky to just try and monitor. If it's just a loose fitting or cracked line I'd step up and get it fixed. And sure, the fluid level should be checked and topped off right away.

Yes, we say transmission "fluid" not transmission coolant, even though the fluid, while a lubricant, does also take heat away from the transmission.
  • rhubertyrhuberty Member Posts: 18
    I have a 2006 Trailblazer with about 50,000 miles. When I fill the tank my fuel gauge immediately drops to 0, I get a low fuel light and diagnostic code PO463 (Fuel Level Sensor Circuit High Input).

The vehicle no longer starts by just turning and releasing the ignition switch as it normally would - I have to hold the ignition switch until it starts. After the code is gone this works as normal.

After burning off about about 20% of the fuel everything turns to normal and works fine (may have spurts of erratically jumping around down to the 20% mark). In doing research it is clear that there is a major issue with bad sending units. GM dealer also said in some cases a component in the dashboard causes similar issues and has been warranted. They want to charge me $60-120 to diagnose the issue.

If someone smarter than I can help me isolate the issue to the sending unit with some degree of certainty I will drop the tank and replace myself. I can't fix something in the dash so if I can't be comfortable I will have to go the dealer route. I'd like to save myself the diagnostic dollars but don't wish to go through the effort of replacing a sending unit if it might be something else. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    rhuberty,

Could you please email me your VIN? I would like to look further into your situation.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
    I have a 2006 that also did this at around 30K. Our level sending unit has completely gone bad and the dealer wants betwen 800 to 1000 to fix the issue and was not covered under our regular warranty for some reason. Anyway, we have been living with the issue instead of repairing it by keeping track on the odometer....probably not the best way to do it, but works for now. Although ours does not work, the "auto ignition" feature still works just fine. The only other thing that ours does is that since the level sending unit is shot, the check engine light comes on sporadically.

You are correct that GM has an issue here and they have been aware of it for some time, yet no corrective action has been taken on the matter. You are not alone my friend and this will be the last chevy that I will buy as ours has been plauged with other issues. We may have just got a lemon.
    "was not covered under our regular warranty for some reason". Can you explain that a little further? Was the warranty expired due to time? This part is certainly covered under the factory warranty.
    If you're mechanically inclined, I'd replace the whole fuel pump which includes the sending unit yourself. Not that difficult to drop the tank with the help of a buddy. The sending unit itself is around a $100, and the entire pump assembly is around $200, but the sending level sensor is attached to the pump, so I'd replace the whole thing since you're in there anyway. Rockauto.com has both in stock for these prices. Also, if you aren't having the no start issues like the other person is, check out the tiny stepper motor on the back of the guage itself. Very cheap and easy to replace, can get on e-bay and is a common failure for TB's and Envoys.
  • rhubertyrhuberty Member Posts: 18
    GM Customer Service posting was a dead end for me.

I'm still open to suggestions. Again, I'm hoping someone with some degree of certainty can help me isolate this to the sending unit. My feeling is that this is the issue but based on a short discussion with a GM service advisor I was left with some doubt after he stating there have been similar issue related to ECM. Vehicle is just off the full mark now and everything is working fine. I hit a full tank and all hell breaks loose.
  • mari123mari123 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever resolve this problem? I have an '04 Trailblazer with a vibration that I noticed after having a new set of tires put on. I've had the tires rebalanced, tires and wheels checked, and air pressure lowered. Similarly the repair shop doesn't seem to notice the vibration, and I am missing the smooth ride my TB used to have.
    I would check your wheel bearings. I had one go bad and had a bad vibration coming from the front left wheel. You can check this by simply jacking up the car at the wheel, place your hands at 10 & 2 and push on the tire. If there is any deflection or if the tire moves, you may have a bad bearing.
  • chevydevotee67chevydevotee67 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Chevy Traoilblazer that is having multiple problems.
    1.Instrument guages are showing innacurrate readings (ex: false fuel readings, 10 mph speedometer reading, oil pressure displaying excess pressure)
    2. When AC is on the truck will stall out when we come to a stop
    3. Ignition Coils are going out every other month
    4. Auto Transmision slips during first drive of the day.

I have had the truck looked at and repaired at least three times over the last two weeks!

Upset Chevy Devotee!!!!
  • aaron84aaron84 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 02 trailblazer that I had to have almost the entire engine rebuilt after it hit a little over 90k miles. Now, after having the O2 sensor on the exhaust somehow come disconnected and melt the wireing harness replaced, I have been told the a damper or something in the camshaft is bad and I have to have that replaced which will cost me around $2k(again like rebuilding my engine). The worst part is that this was replaced when i had my engine rebuilt. Now after about adding 50k miles or so it is happening again. I want to know if someone might have some other ideas on what could be wrong cause I am tired of spending money on this **** vehicle. The vehicle has been running on extremes amount of gas(using a tank where it should use 1/2 a tank). They said it was the o2 sensor but after it was replaced it still wasn't running right and now the mechanics say that I have to replace the dmaper or something in the camshaft or driveshaft or something. The worst part is that I am stationed in Korea and can't be there to see whether its BS or not. Any ideas anyone?
  • mc54952mc54952 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2011
    I have a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer LT 3rd row 4.2 Ltr V-6. I replaced the battery today and everything was fine before hand, but right after instalation of the new battery the driver side A/C blows weak and only hot air qall other vents blow cold. it has the dual climate control (manual not digital) and rear air. I have had this happen once before 3 years ago when I replaced the battery. There is a climate control reset sequence that fixed the problem last time and I can not find it online anymore. Does anyone know it??? :confuse: :mad:
  • tamarlyntamarlyn Member Posts: 1
    The whine is getting louder and I noticed she is losing power. I am at about 47K. Just had the oil changed two months ago and OnStar says I am at 60% oil life.
  • wirenut2wirenut2 Member Posts: 9
    after changing the battery the instrument cluster stopped working anyone know what would be the fix PLEASE HELP
    edited September 2011
    I'd check your battery ground strap for tightness and cleanliness; also see if you blew a fuse or a fusible link.
  • mbrun315mbrun315 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having trouble with raw fuel dripping from the intake manifold on my 2003 chevy trailblazer. The problem pointed to the fuel pressure regulator, I purchase one/ install it problem solved. Now after one day it has begin to drip again. Any suggestion.
    Try to disconnect the battery again, for 30 minutes or so. Hook it back up and see if this clears it up.
  • wblawwblaw Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Chevy Trailblazer, LTZ. I tried to unlock the car doors with the key fob, and the alarm went off. When I pressed the unlock button again, the alarm continued to go off. I then tried pressing the locked button but the alarm continued to go off. I then unlocked the car with the key and started the car up, but the alarm kept going off. I then called AAA and tried their suggestions. I put the key in the door lock and turned it back and forth for 10 times. I then put the key in the ignition and moved the key to the on position and let it sit there for 10 minutes. I even tried to change the security settings, through the dashboard icon. All the while, the alarm was going off. AAA even came and disconnected the battery, but the minute the battery was re-connected the alarm went off again.

Anyone have this problem? I am waiting to hear back from the dealer, but I would like to know myself what is wrong.
  • anigroanigro Member Posts: 1
    Did You ever find the sequence I have the same issue, Disconecting battery again didn't work :mad:
  • weiscatweiscat Member Posts: 1
    I have an 06 TB that also has a whine went I accelerate. Do you know what causes that?
  • trailblazer1trailblazer1 Member Posts: 18
    Worn Idle Puley Belt
    That's a real good guess...or alternator bearing.
  • sparky545sparky545 Member Posts: 1
    03 Trailblazer the headlight will come on at any time day or night and run battery down.
  • motomandanmotomandan Member Posts: 1
    Hello all! I have a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer EXT 4x4 inline 6, 101,000 miles, I do not drive this vehicle much anymore due to gas prices! Its always had the common "A/C not blowing very cold air at idle and stop and go but works fine at highway speeds", however, I recently drove it and needed to turn a/c on, only ambient air coming out in auto mode or manual, blower would kick up to high in auto but just ambient air temps coming out (later realized the compressor isnt kicking on either). That night on return home it was cold outside so I turned heat on, still ambient air temps! So in a nutshell, everything seems to work fine, ie: auto mode selected, blower motor goes up and down depending on level of heat or ac selected and what it perceives as being needed to heat or cool inside, manual mode operates normally except as stated it only blows ambient temp air. Mode selector works fine in that I can switch between floor vents, dash vents, combo of the two, defrost, rear controls work to change blower speeds for back but still no temp difference. ANY help would be appreciated!! I've read a lot of threads on similar items but always points to blower not operating correctly, my blower works fine. And havent seen any threads that address BOTH heat and a/c not working.
  • mbilas1mbilas1 Member Posts: 1
    I have owned 3 trailblazers, 04, 06 and now and 07. On every model that I have owned in colder weather (neve happens in the summer months) when I start up the car the Stabilitrack light and ABS light come on. If I turn off the engine and then restart, the lights dont come back on. It only happens when the colder weather is around. Happened with all 3 cars which suggest something of a common problem. any advise?
  • cosmos1957cosmos1957 Member Posts: 1
    Outside vent and center vent on driver side blowing cold air. Outside vent and center vent on passenger side blowing hot air. Also back seat vents blowing hot. What could be causing this
    If you were recently denied auto warranty coverage for a surprising reason, please email PR@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, January 9, 2013 to tell your story to a reporter.
  • coiiikoscoiiikos Member Posts: 1
    I hit a 300lb mule deer with the whole front end of my 2004 trailblazer. Half of the deer went over the truck the other half went under the truck. Depressing the whole front end about 1 foot. I struck this at 70 miles an hour. With all the damages done the air bags should have deployed and they did not. GM stated that with this vehicle you have to deploy the brakes 1/20th of a second prior to impact for the air bags to deploy. I believe that this is a bunch of hog wash. Brakes have nothing to do with the air bag sensors.
    Hope you weren't hurt!

You may want to let the NHTSA know - the link is at the top of the discussion header.
    I don't think, even at that speed, that hitting that amount of weight would trigger the air bag sensor. The impact wouldn't be that severe.
    You may be right. I'm a bit sensitive to this issue since there's so many deer up where I live it's just a matter of time before I hit one. And last week a woman hit a moose and was killed up in AK where I used to live; no indication of air bag deployment in the story. But I've seen at least one forum post elsewhere where someone hit a deer at 55 and the airbags deployed.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100
    I have to agree.... an airbag deployment usually only happens when there are extraordinary forces in play.... as in something that will actually slow the vehicle speed when hitting it.. (a building... another vehicle, etc..)

Now, if you told me you hit a deer, and that your head bounced off the windshield and the airbags never deployed... then, I would guess there is a problem...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• dooper67dooper67 Member Posts: 26
    My 2004 Trailblazer 4wd started making a slight buzzing sound several months ago. I thought it was the tires wear indicators so I lived with it while it progressively got to be a louder rumbling sound. My mechanic says it is the front bearings and it will cost about $400 per wheel to replace the ABS assembly on both sides. Does this sound correct and is the price reasonable? Thanks !!!
    Jerry