Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 and newer Chevrolet Tahoe and GMC Yukon

Comments

• janscaperjanscaper Member Posts: 2
    Help! I've had my beautiful new 07 Tahoe 3 days now, went shopping and had some bleach spill out onto my tan carpet in the back. ;) The white spot is about the size of a half dollar. Does anyone know of a carpet dye kit I can use that will match the chevrolet carpet color?
    thank you!
  • zepreszepres Member Posts: 16
    ooooh I did not have time to get on the forum until today. I ordered a cheap 3M chrome handle set off ebay 2 days ago already. I might do tthe real things if this does not work out.

Thanks
    Installed the combo billet grill last weekend. They look great. They are made by Carriage Works. The screw holes are not aligned correctly.

Cecook, I ordered a set of taped-on chrome handles. Will post result later.
  • rockin_ltzrockin_ltz Member Posts: 61
    I too installed this billet grill from Carriage Works. I think it looks great. The 2 piece grill itself was very easy to install, but the tow hook (2 small lower) grills required a little more effort. Here's a pic that I posted a little earlier about the HID's I installed...But you can also see the grills here too:

Thanks. Very nice!
    Hi rockin_ltz, can you tell me how to remove the rubber covers from the bumper (toe hooks). Instruction says to push straight back, which I did but it wont come off.

Thanks,
  • rockin_ltzrockin_ltz Member Posts: 61
    If you do push hard enough they will come out. I crawled up under the front bumper and was looking back up through the openings and you can see where the rubber boots/covers are attached to the bumper itself. Just work the rubber covers around a little as you're pushing back on them and they should come off. Don't worry if you tear them (which you probably won't) as you end up just throwing them away any how once you install the tow hook grills. Hope this helps.
  • frank07frank07 Member Posts: 8
    Hi guys. Well I am ready to install an Eclipse sound system to my 07 Tahoe. BUT I have been told by 2 diffrent installers that the Interface for Onstar and the Interface for the steering wheel are not available yet.

My question is: Is it true?

If they are available right now please provide me with those links!
    Thanks in advance!

FJ
    Got it! Thanks very much. That was pretty tough installation. I crawled up under the bumper too :) that was what saved me from failure. If you r not too handy I would not recommend doing the toe hook grills yourselves.
  • cecookcecook Member Posts: 23
    I have the full set of Husky liners in grey to go with my titanium interior. The fit is perfect and the lip around the edges holds lots of anything, keeping it out of the carpet. The mats were pretty expensive but I have used several sets and these Huskys will last forever. Not a bad investment if you look down the road. The front and rear mats fit without a problem. I also got the cargo liner and it is able to be used with the 3rd row in or not. There are locations to cut the mat to allow for the 3rd row seats to be attached. There is also a lip around those cuts so when the 3rd row is out, nothing will get under the liner. Let me know if you have any other questions about them.

73shark, I cant wait to see pics and find out more about the install.
    Collins
    For the front I picked one up off of ebay. I am please with the way it looks. I have a chrome one but I am still looking for a black one that will fit.

The rear I had ordered one but it came scratched so I am still waiting on its return. Since then though I have come across some info where one guy had taken off the rear emblem and removed the gold part from it. Apparently it is attached with double sided tape and is chrome underneath. With some additional cleaning to remove the tape his looked really nice and stock. I am going to look into it this afternoon and see.
    Collins
  • 73shark73shark Member Posts: 325
    Refresh my memory. What install are you referring to? :confuse:
  • ltzinltzin Member Posts: 15
    Hey guys I just purchased an 07 LTZ (also summit white). I have been following your conversation with 73shark and was wondering about your sound levels of your GM Performance sys. Did you go to the Zoomers web site and listen to his system? If not cold you and tell me how much of a difference there is. I'm in S.Cal so 70, 75 is norm on the 14 I really don't want an annoying interior sound.
  • frank07frank07 Member Posts: 8
    Any help guys??
    Have you found a part no. for the GM exhaust for the 2007? All I could find was for 2006.
  • lbccptlbccpt Member Posts: 1
  • tahoedavetahoedave Member Posts: 9
    cecook -

Did I understand your post about the Husky cargo liner correctly that you can cut the liner to allow for the 3rd row seats but even after cutting the liner, the holes for the seat guides can be covered? I'm looking for a cargo mat, ideally a carpeted one, that will cover the 3rd row seat guides, creating a flat surface, but that will still allow the seats to be installed on the rare occasion I need to use them. Does such a thing exist? Is the Husky a rubber or plastic mat? Thanks for the help.

Dave
  • lapilotdudelapilotdude Member Posts: 3
    Maybe I am being anal but there are two things that, according to GM, are working as designed that are driving me crazy. One, rear DVD screen goes off after ignition key is cycled. I have to dig for the remote, reach back so I can point it at the screen from the rear to repower it. Second, the destination entry for the nav does not work while moving. I know they are trying to keep me safe but now I need to pull off the freeway and stop to make an entry?? Any comments or work arounds?
  • chile96chile96 Member Posts: 330
    That drives me crazy too. All of my other cars had a disclaimer screen that you had to click through in order to play with the nav while moving but not GM - you cannot enter a destination unless you're at a complete stop.

While at the dealership on Wed, I asked the service rep about possibly disconnecting the speed sensor wire or anything of the like so that I could enter a destination whilst driving - he looked at me as if I was speaking Japanese with this blank stare on his face. After about 5-7 secs of silence, he boldly states that the new model GM cars are run by computers and they cannot be changed at all! A blustering idiot is what this guy was so I just gave up on any sort of an intelligent conversation about possibly solving this issue.

Let me know if you figure out a hack for this. I'm half tempted to take out the nav and have a look-see behind it. Should I cut the green wire, no wait the red one? :D
  • awf_axisawf_axis Member Posts: 136
    I also experience the DVD going dead after cycling the ignition, while a DVD was playing. Grandkids go wild until I get it going again. I close the screen, stop, then restart the DVD (via the front touch screen), and then reopen the DVD screen. This works too, since the remote is buried somewhere in the rubble that is surrounding the kids.

As far as the Navigation, and it being "computerized", this is partially correct. A company rep who is working on creating a bypass has said that this generation of Navigation-Entertainment system is connected to the vehicle via a bus system, which would be akin to a USB type interface.

Even though is seems to the layman that it is a complicated system, from a manufacturing point of view, it is much simpler, than running "wires" for each function in the car.

Dave
  • chile96chile96 Member Posts: 330
    Yeah, I realize and understand the whole computer and DME thing about these cars - I guess it was just the way he said it. I could tell he had absolutely ZERO idea of what he was talking about and as well treating me like I thought the cars were basically an engine, wheels and a speed sensor wire :D My next question should've been "Is the Pope Jewish?" and I know I would've witnessed another 10 secs of silence followed by a "Lemme go check with my manager" :P
  • ltzinltzin Member Posts: 15
    Yes. In the GM Performance Parts cat. pg 265 they list two for the 2007 Tahoe.
    Performance PN# 19156346
    Touring PN# 19156345

They come with out tips so you can customize your own exit they have a few in the catalog.

I do not know the difference in sound or performance. If anyone has one or the other please let me know.
  • sierra_mistsierra_mist Member Posts: 3
    I must admit that cockpit in the 2007 Suburban/tahoe doesn't look good... We'll the exterior is cool but they could've made a more "original-looking" panel. The Interior doesn't look like a chevy, looks more like a japanese luxury suv..

Dissapointed... Do I have to buy a Ford now? :cry:
    Definitely stay away from the '07 Navigator.. That's gonna cost Ford/Lincoln big time in sales...
  • jntjnt Member Posts: 316
    In the old days, the vehicle speed sensor has its own wire. But I doubt that is the case anymore on newer GM vehicles. Even the ignition wire is not available in the previous generation Tahoe. Everything now, if not having its own wire, is on the vehicle bus, CAN bus to be exact.

So if you cut the CAN bus to the Navigation radio, you probably won't be able to turn on the radio at all. In modern cars, there are not many little computers throughout the vehicle. Basically, each box has it own computer(s). So the sales guy is right stating that. In fact, if you take the Tahoe radio out of your dash, you will not be able to turn on the radio even if you hook up battery and ground to it (like a typical old radio). You need another box that tell the radio it is OK to turn it on after checking VIN number and other things. Another word, the whole thing is a complicated system for the salesman to comprehend and explain. May be the tech guy in the Service area can give you a better answer

Good luck in hacking the system

jt
  • cub21cub21 Member Posts: 5
    I just got one 6/23 gets 13.2mpg
  • 2tahoes2tahoes Member Posts: 6
    My 07 black ltz is getting around 13.4mpg hwy and city combined. Anyway, when I had it the dealer for 6,000 service, I asked why mine was getting such bad mileage, truck sales mgr told me to tell tech to "recalibrate system that I should be gettin better". Service tech said he didn't have any calibrations from GMC - Has anybody heard of this?
  • junglegeorgejunglegeorge Member Posts: 129
    Looking for advise on a performance exhaust system. I am picking up my LTZ on Wednesday. I have already purchased a Cold Air Intake (CAI) system from Airaid hopping it will help the engine breather better, and thus burn less fuel. I turn 24k + miles per year. Now I would like to improve the exhaust. Not sure what top get, I read some of the earlier posts, however they all seam to concentrate on Noise/Tone/etc. That is not what I am looking for, I would like to keep the noise/tone as close as possible to OEM, however want the engine to breath better. I understand that one goes with the other, but there must be some compromise out there. Not too loud, but free flowing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • dsquaredsquare Member Posts: 6
    My 07 4wd LTZ is getting 12.5 MPG Which sucks! :mad: I went to the dealership and they said the same thing. Recalibrate the DIC. which is the onboard computer. But when I went to service they had no idea what I was talking about. I think that the computer is not calibrated for the 20's even though they are stock. If you do some math with you fill ups you should be able to get your actual MPG. Min eis really about 13.4 MPG. The recalibration won't help one bit with MPG jus thow you computer calculates it. Does anyone else know of any computer reprograming that will help with the MPG?
  • acmathacmath Member Posts: 2
    So do they hold up as well as the rubber mats? You did get the carpet ones instead of the rubber ones? It seems like they wouldn't last as long or look very good for very long. I would have to get the 3rd seat cut out for the seats and that website doesn't sell the 3rd row with the cutout for the seats. I might have to look on there again, thanks for your help.

I need to buy them soon so my kids don't destroy the interior.
  • tony20fantony20fan Member Posts: 30
    I got the carpeted ones because I like the look better. It is true that they are more difficult to clean, but I have gotten a spot out of mine with a towel and a bit of Ivory soap. Also, they are rubber backed and you can take them out and scrub them and hose them off. They probably won't be a "fluffy" after that, but cleaner. My previous Tahoe had pewter interior and the mats didn't show as much soil as my new cashmere interior. I have only one child, and he's pretty careful, so the carpeted mats haven't been a real issue.
    As for the cargo area, I think I am going to get the Husky mat with the template for 3rd row cut outs. I like leaving my 3rd row in, but tumbled forward and I don't think CatchAll has something for that. And, I want that one to be rubber so when I go to the nursery for flowers, or my dogs get fur in there (gasp!!), I can just brush it off. I think carpet wouldn't be the ideal material for the cargo area.
    Good luck!! And have fun in your new Tahoe!
  • nosbor77nosbor77 Member Posts: 40
    I am getting the same milage. I'm pissed. I understand that mileage will vary with driving habits and terrain, but they claim 16 to 22mpg. 13.5mpg is too far off. I'm having to baby it when I drive to get this mileage. That's false advertisement. I never would have bought mine if I new this. They keep telling me that it will get better when it breaks in. Thats BS. Foreign cars would NEVER be that far off in their MPG estimates. I can't believe this is legal in the U.S.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    That's false advertisement.

The mileage figures are from EPA testing.

tidester, host
    Didnt you plan to install some chrome door handles?

Collins
    The husky mats are plastic. It is a one piece cargo liner that once is cut to fit the 3rd row seats then the seat guides cant be covered. The 3rd row guides are visible once the mat has been cut but there are built in lips to prevent stuff from rolling into those crevices. I have not seen any liners that will do what you are looking for.

Collins
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    Just got my 2007 Avalanche, and the Nav / DVD system is pretty much identical to yours, including the same annoyances. In my case my daughter is ten, and so is mature enough to use the remote to turn it back on.

At least it starts up at the same point that it was at when it cut off. I had an aftermarket DVD player installed by the dealership when I bought the 2003 Trailblazer, and it "forgot" where it was at any time power was cut.

Talk about annoying!
    I really like the sound of the stock exhaust on the new Avalanche, but I knew when I ordered it that I was gonna hate the look of that coffee can resonator behind the back wheel (had the same problem with the Trailblazer). So I ordered the Touring exhaust and the dual walled angled polished tip w/Chevy bowtie logo as part of the final transaction. It should be in sometime in the next two weeks according to my salesman, and then I just have to get them to install it. I'll post back my thoughts on the new sound and performance (if I can really feel any difference), as I'm sure that the Av's system sounds / feels much like the Tahoe with either setup.
    Not really. I've only been driving the new Av for about three days, put over 100 additional miles on it (had 5 to start with). The average MPG display keeps climbing a little bit at a time, despite my "break in" driving routine (basically keep off the interstate as much as possible, side roads w/lights n stop signs, varying speed limits between 20 and 55ish, etc.). Right now it has worked its way up to 15.7 from a start at roughly 6. I fully expect it to be 17+ on the display by the time I fill it up, and probably really close to dead on 16 when I calculate it manually.

Once I finish the 500 mile break in period I bet it exceeds to 20 highway estimate. But I usually exceed my EPA numbers, due to my driving style and conditions. Why am I telling you this- mileage results are HIGHLY driver dependent. If you aren't getting EPA numbers in your Tahoe, there's a very strong chance you wouldn't in any other vehicle either, unless something is actually wrong with your vehicle (and you'd have had other concerns ahead of the mileage then).

I'd love to elaborate on what kind of driving it takes to get better mileage, but it's really hard to say. Easier takeoffs, keep RPMs below 2000 where you can, keep speeds high enough to get into top gear with the torque converter locking up, minimize the amount of pressure you put on the throttle once there to what's needed to maintain that condition, anticipate stops and starts, minimize speed changes.. could go on and on. Everyone drives differently, and all driving conditions vary. So results do too.

The numbers on that sticker are the results of EPA "similated" city / highway test loops, standard for vehicles across the board (same route, speeds, stops, etc.), so you can't really expect them to exactly match your own results. All you can make of them is that vehicle 'A' will do better or worse than vehicle 'B' in the conditions they tested under (meaning likely the same relationship for your results from 'A' to 'B', even if the numbers don't match directly).
    I'd be interested in hearing the results of this myself. I held off adding the door handles to my up-front mods to see what experiences others have. I really want to avoid messing up the interior door trim when replacing my handles, but the last thing I've seen online indicates that the interior door panels have to be removed to change out the handles. That's good because it means the handles are REALLY chrome handles, rather than just stick-on appliques. But that's bad because it means there's lots of potential to break a fastener or incorrectly reinstall something in the process.

I'll let someone else work out the correct procedure and the "gotchas" before I do the job myself. :)
  • 07denali07denali Member Posts: 17
    Didn't anyone test check the computer during the test drive before they bought to see the MPG it was getting? My Denali XL gets about 7-8 MPG city and 16-17 MPG highway. Am I surprised, no I looked checked the computer before I purchased and saw I averaged 7mpg during my test drive.
  • junglegeorgejunglegeorge Member Posts: 129
    Does anyone have the scoop on this newly released 2 inch leveling kit? JUST RELEASED !! This is the first leveling kit for the 2007 Chevy Tahoe / Suburban 4x4. Works with autoride option as well. This kit raises the front of the vehicle 2". It is very easy to install and is backed by a lifetime warranty. Made from billet aluminum and the best hardware. Will not rust or corrode. This kit is made by Skyjacker and brought to you by Top Gun Customz (an authorized national distributor). This kit is very easy to install and does NOT require compressing the coilover for installation. It WILL maintain the factory ride of these vehicles unlike other leveling kits which install IN the coilover. This one installs on top of the coilover.

Maximum recommended tire\wheel size
    285/70/17 with OEM/stock backspacing

George
  • landy manlandy man Member Posts: 39
    Reset the computer and start over again. The instruction manual tells you how to do this. I am regularly getting 17 to 18.4 MPG in mixed driving. If you zero out the computer and then do mainly stop and go driving, you should expect much less mileage than if you average it with highway driving as well. Mine now has 9,000 miles; the best I ever got was 22 MPG from Vermont to NJ.
  • 2tahoes2tahoes Member Posts: 6
    It's interesting to see everyone's posts regarding their MPG situations. I really appreciate the posts. While I was so excited to hear that the 07's where supposed to be so good and then be a little dissappoined, I wouldn't trade mine for any foreign job. So much to love compared to my 01 tahoe. Still can't figure out what GM was thinking when they show (on their web site and in their brochures) all these great after market goodys that still aren't available!
    Nope. Did put in billet grill tho. Thinking about the GM perf. or touring exhaust. There was someone who was talking about chrome door handles in this forum.
    I remember seeing on this forum or some other online forum that to get the best mileage, you should drive such that you never have to brake above 40 mph. Of course this excludes emergencies. I think the point was is to look ahead and anticipate what traffic and signal lites are doing so that you can let up early if needed (without blocking someone behind you like Matt Kenseth did yesterday at Chicagoland to Jeff Gordon). I know this is hard to do especially if you like the sound of the induction noise (I do) when you get on it. Was really surprised that it is that loud with all of the resonance chambers they use. Kind of like when we use to turn the air cleaner cover upside down. That probably dates me.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check out the Chevrolet Suburban/GMC Tahoe: MPG-Real World Numbers discussion too.

Steve, Host
    I've got an '07 Escalade running the 403hp, 6sp tranny. At 5000 miles, I'm averaging 15.2 combined.

Pure highway, minding a 65mph max, I get 19 (flat road). In the hills here in Tahoe, about 16.5.

Pure round-town with no more than 45mph, and no more than 1/2 mile between stop signs or round-abouts, about 10.5.

Dave
  • ekcjwcekcjwc Member Posts: 1
    I currently have a 04 Honda Pilot. I love the looks of the Tahoe but am a little concerned about the size and gas mileage. My Honda gets 20.5 MPG around town and 24 on the highway. Would love to hear your thoughts about the 07 Tahoe! Thanks!
  • samk17samk17 Member Posts: 13
    I have a 07 LTZ w/ navigation. I was driving to work this morning and noticed that the digital clock was missing. So I flipped through all the manuals, called my dealer, and called Chevy... but found no answers. Anyone have a similar problem?
  • samk17samk17 Member Posts: 13
    If you do a lot of stop and go city driving don't expect more than 13-16 MPG... on the HWY it's much better.
This discussion has been closed.