Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 and newer Chevrolet Tahoe and GMC Yukon

Comments

• dsquaredsquare Member Posts: 6
    My mileage is still terrible. I have an 07 LTZ 4X4 with the 4:10 Gear. My wife drives it like an old lady around town here in Los Angeles. We haven't seen better that 11.6 MPG.
    Does anyone know if anything will help besides burning it and calling the insurance company?
    :mad:
  • nosbor77nosbor77 Member Posts: 40
    What's your gear ratio??
    What's your miles at??
  • dardson1dardson1 Member Posts: 696
    Gotta say I've gotten (all three) a bit better than the posted milage (city) by driving conservatively. That's more than I can say for my 2000 Sienna (my brief attempt to be PC) that averaged mid 16's (on premium fuel) around town but promised 19. I was dissapointed to see GM make these trucks 500 lbs. heavier and 4" longer which seems like a silly decision even 3+ years ago when they likely decided such things. I never read any reviews suggesting the darn Tahoe was too small except when complaining about the 3rd seat. Why GM insists on stuffing a 3rd row into Tahoes is beyond me when they have a perfect alternative, the Suburban. Love my Tahoe(s).
  • bk777bk777 Member Posts: 32
    The Tahoe tested by Consumers Union got 9 MPG city. Your 11.6 MPG is looking pretty good at about 30% better than the one CU tested.

Ever wonder why Edmunds is in lock step with the mfg's mileage claim of 17-21 MPG on the Tahoe? Maybe they are afraid of losing GM's advertising?
    What city MPG do you get?
    about 12mpg.. that's pure stop & go driving in downtown Austin.
  • dsquaredsquare Member Posts: 6
    We have a little under 7000 miles. We leased the Tahoe back in April. I have heard so many different stories and reasons on why we are getting such poor mileage. The Dealer said thatThe traffic here in L.A. is the reason.
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    That's very reasonable. Just as pure stop and go traffic in Austin would destroy economy too. These aren't hybrids, so every second spent with the engine running but not moving (as at lights) is basically 0 mpg. And constantly accelerating (don't even mean drag racing) as you leave that stop light or the next also sucks down gas in any vehicle, especially these V8s. Once you're at a steady cruising speed they seem to get a lot more efficient. That's how I have such good mileage so far.
    The EPA's CITY MPG "estimate" is actually modeled on traffic patterns in L.A. Next time your dealer blames it on L.A. traffic you can inform him of this fact.

You can also confirm this along with the 9 MPG CITY mileage that consumers reports got when they tested a Tahoe just like mine and yours.

When the dealer responds with another "reason" or possible cause for missing the 16 MPG city estimate for your Tahoe ask him if the GM District Representative can become involved in determining the actual cause of the problem.

Every $1000 that you spend on gas at 11.5 MPG (not 16 MPG) and $2.25 per gallon is $282 dollars that could have been spent on something else. At 15,000 miles per year it costs us $4219.
    Uhhhh!!! So you're saying that because Consumer's Union got 9 MPG for their test results, I got 12.5 mpg for my "real life" test results & dsquare got 11.6 mpg for his/her "real life" test results, we should be happy when we consider EPA was 16 for city?? I don't understand.. Does that make you happy?? If that makes anyone happy post "hell yeah, I love getting screwed"..

I understand that EPA may not match real world numbers, but the Consumer Union's difference of 7mpg seems a little too far off to be satisfying..
    My Tahoe gets the same crappy mileage that you guys are getting. Guess we all got duped. My salesman was pushing AFM with mileage in the twenty's...think they fired that dude.
  • obravadaobravada Member Posts: 37
    I have a 2007 LTZ with about 6,000 miles. Currently the overall MPG is 15.9. Just got back from a trip to Vermont to the Stratton and Bromley ski slope and I actually gained another .1 mpg during the 300+ mile trip. I live in Connecticut so the going to part was all uphill. Coming back on I-91 is where I must have gotten the avg. mpg up. I traded in a 2005 Tahoe and that truck didn't do any better than 16.8 mpg. I'm happy with the mileage that I'm getting.
  • junglegeorgejunglegeorge Member Posts: 129
    I also live in the Northeast, upstate NY, and I am getting similar MPG with my 07 LTZ 4x4 with 3:73 gears, and nearly 7000 miles on the clock. Overall I average 15.6 with mixed driving, although I occasionally will see 17.2 on a long trip all highway. I had a perfectly good 2004 that was consistently beating these numbers by 2-3 MPG. I talked myself into purchasing the 07 based on the MPG claims. Duped Again, I am very disappointer in the faults advertising and performance claims. I am pursuing this with my dealer, and I have a case open with GM. I honestly don’t think they can do anything about it at this point, other than possibly changing the final gears to 4:10’s. Bottom line is I purchased a large SUV, in my heart I knew I was never going to see the 21 MPG advertised, I love the truck, I am going to live with crappy MPG.
  • allison5allison5 Member Posts: 130
    We are going back and forth about the possibility of getting a 07 Tahoe. At the moment we have a 04 GMC YUkon but I got to tell you we have had quite a few problems with this vehicle and now we have 46,000 miles on it and our warranty is out. I just assume get rid of it and start again and maybe go with the tahoe. Another option is going with a Honda minivan, many people think I should do with to have lower car payments,gas, better car for environment etc etc. So basically I am trying to figure out if my 4-5 times a winter going up to Lake Tahoe (normally lots of snow) that I should get a 4-wheel drive car or go with something less expensive. Any ideas from anyone?? Also my pay off on my 04 Yukon is over $25,000, will I lose out tremendously if I get another vehicle?
  • rockman59rockman59 Member Posts: 250
    allison5 said: Also my pay off on my 04 Yukon is over $25,000, will I lose out tremendously if I get another vehicle?
    Kelly Blue Book trade-in on your vehicle is somewhere between $16K and $18K so you will have to give up your Yukon and $7K to $9K. My advice is to keep driving your Yukon. You can fix a lot of "problems" for what you will have to pay to end current deal.
    Thanks for the advice, it is true I might just have to keep driving it since I am so upside down on this deal. However I am wondering something. Say if I kept in another year or two, well by then their will be more miles on it, it will be older etc and then it will have depreciated even more. I realize my pay off will be less but it sounds like the difference will even be worse if I wait. Do you agree?
  • jjohnstonjjohnston Member Posts: 7
    Go to one of the online trade in sites and change the numbers to the same vehicle one year older and with 12,000 more miles. That is where you will be next year with the same trade. Its true that a lot can be fixed for the cost of a trade, but we sure enjoy our 07 Denali after trading in a trouble free 99 Yukon. Remember two things: 1) why have it if you don't enjoy it? & 2) its only money! J
  • annshusband1annshusband1 Member Posts: 1
    Well the first issue is does your state use ethanol? Here in Connecticut we use 10% and it does drop gas milage by 2 or 3 mpg. I took the truck to Maine where they use straight gas and got 17 and 21.
  • powder73powder73 Member Posts: 15
    well it's the first post with my new suburban ltz 07 and what can i say...i love it!!!!i love it!!!i love it!!! :blush: Before that one i had a toyota 4runner sport edition and although you'll never hear me complain about that fine 4x4 the suburban is another thing...and with now 4 kids it was the only thing!!!! LOL....

I guess my only gripe is that there is no telescopic wheel like my previous 4x4 and for me at 6'2'' it was appreciate.
    That and the 20' tires that came with it....i so should have ask for the off road version cause it plainly suck when you're outside in muddy road....so much that i'm willing to exchange my nice 20' tires with mag for the other version...so far i'm still hoping , my seller looking at it and i only drove 10000 km before changing for the winter tires...

About mpg....well i never look at it and it surely wasn't a selling point for me....i mean here we have one of the biggest suv on the market....so yeah it eat gas like a growing child but heh i knew what i was getting at the first place...

So so far so good....being the first american car i purchase i back it up with the all-around extended warranty ...but for me this was the DREAM car i always wanted....so everytime i put the key in the ignition there is a big smile on my face and i feel like a child again....:)
    Did you ever think of getting the Tahoe instead of suburban? I have 3 kids ( 12, 10 and 6) and a large 85 lb dog that goes with us to Lake Tahoe (here in Calif) and the beach more often than not. So I realize that you have an extra kid than me but do you use that extra space often? As a mom I just have a fear of driving such a big vehicle. Before my yukon I had a minivan and the transition to a SUV was easier than I thought but still very different at first.Anyway my husband would probably prefer the bigger one but I am the one that would mainly drive it. Thanks
  • bonzo6bonzo6 Member Posts: 4
    Hello all,

I have been driving myself nuts with this--is there a way in the menu for the Nav to convert from miles to kilometers? I still do not have the owners manual for my new Yukon (dealer is attempting to track it down)...HELP!!!
  • ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    I have three kids and a 2005 Yukon XL, and we definitely could not do with the regular length Yukon or Tahoe. We have the bucket seats in the middle row, so there is always someone in the third row, usually two in back, one in the middle. There just isn't enough room behind the third row of the Tahoe for even a week's worth of groceries. The XL does fit in the garage. Not a lot of room to spare, but it does fit. My wife was concerned about the size, but it's suprisingly easy to drive and see out of, and I hear the 2007s are even better handling then ever. For the small difference in price, I would encourage you to at least test them both and see how much more room you get. You'll be surprised how often you fill it.
  • gmfangmfan Member Posts: 188
    You all need to let your engines break-in before getting pissed off, which will probably occur when you are at least 30,000 miles. I have the 5.3 that started at 14.7 MPG brand new. Now, at 16,000 miles, I am getting 16.5 avg city driving. On the hwy I get 18.4 MPG @ 70 Mph, level road.
  • rbb1rbb1 Member Posts: 4
    The recall is for a whistle like noise due to the aerodynamics of its design. The new design eliminates all noise.
    OK Zyborg - There is no "break-in" for modern internal combustion engines made in the USA or Japan. You have not been keeping up with modern engine technology. All of that was way back in the long distant past.
  • gmfangmfan Member Posts: 188
    I don't know about that...does the host have any data that supports either?
    Zyborg ;)
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    ... does the host have any data that supports either?

I would go by the recommendations provided in the owner's manual. :)

tidester, host
  • awf_axisawf_axis Member Posts: 136
    The latest manual that I had indicated that the only restriction was on towing. Get 500 miles first.

The general information about "break-in" is that current assembly line engines are "pre-spun", which supposedly seats the bearings and rings.

What is contradictory is that my ski-boat (new in '02), with a 5.7 GM engine, required a very tender break-in, or the warranty could be voided.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Break-in is an interesting question - a while back I was looking at some break-in links and the motorcycle crowd is really split. One theory with those folks is to run it hard the first twenty minutes you get your new bike to make sure you set it up for high performance for the rest of the life of the bike.

In looking around the forum here just now, I found this post about the idea:

gvmelbrty, "How to properly break-in your new engine" #117, 13 Jun 2003 3:41 am

Like Tides says, it's hard to bet against the owner's manual.
  • 73shark73shark Member Posts: 325
    He says to delay switching to synthetic as it delays the ring seating process. Does that mean that Corvettes that have been coming from the factory with Mobil 1 have had their engines broke in at the factory? :confuse:
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Heh, could be - then there's Honda. They put in "special" break-in oil and demand that you not change it for the first 5,000 miles.

Pick a theory, any theory - just tell your service manager you are going by the manual. :P
  • sastokersastoker Member Posts: 11
    Has anybody done this? I’m going to attempt to try it this weekend and was looking for some key pointers.
  • rspencerrspencer Member Posts: 63
    O.K. - so then the host has no data.

Edmunds is just not all that scientifically involved in these topics. That disappoints becase they have a good reputation, make a ton of money off the advertising and have been at this for a long time.

Any data to support the conclusion...one way or the other would be appreciated. Edmunds?

What can you say about ring seating...compression and oil rings?

What about valve seating? Valve stem seal material?

What about actual compression testing on an engine as a fxn of time?

What about fuel economy testing during the so-called breakin period?

What about actual measured wear profiles taken off internal components?
    The hosts aren't here to provide data or promote one point of view over another. If you have issues with the reviews then you should use the "Contact Us" link on the help page (see link at bottom of page). Our editors would love to hear from you.

tidester, host
  • rspencerrspencer Member Posts: 63
    Tidester, nothing personal, but maybe some education and training would be helpful. Data would be useful in understanding and answering many of these questions being posed by the forum members.

Do you not agree?
    maybe some education and training would be helpful.

That's not the issue. There simply would not be enough time for hosts to handle all the requests for information and data in these Forums. Instead, the Forums are set up for members to share information and interact with each other.

tidester, host
  • powder73powder73 Member Posts: 15
    sorry if i took a long time replying.....the answer is no i didn't consider the tahoe cause with 4 kids it was too small for my taste....with the suburb i took the 2-2-2 config....so we have a little peace dutring long trip!!! LOL...plus the extra cargo space is much needed...but with for kids i still had to get a thule!!!! I had forgot how much space a baby took in stuff whenever you're leaving for a weekend!!!!
  • vanmannnvanmannn Member Posts: 1
    All the manuals are available on line at mygmlink.com
    I actually read up on all the manuals before I took delivery of my 2007 Avalanche
  • dennis27dennis27 Member Posts: 6
    true!
  • greggbostongreggboston Member Posts: 39
    Hello,

Found out yesterday that there is a recall on our 2007 Suburban (recall number in subject). Dealer said it's to re-program the ECM however they didn't say why GM wants to update this. Anyone out there know what this update does? Improve gas mileage?? Fix battery dead issue?? ??

Thanks

- Gregg
    Boston, Mass
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    The same recall is out for the Avalanche- probably all the 07 900's before a certain build date. I wonder what it is all about?
  • firefighter3firefighter3 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I have an early 2007 Yukon with every option. Vehicle has had nothing but electrical problems. One day doors won't lock. Another day no nav, xm, steering wheel audio controls. Another day backup camera ad sensors out. Washing car and listen to radio for 30 min - key in acc mode - battery dead. And every combo in between. Dealer had to reprogram 22 out of 24 modules and reprogram keys. Dealer has been great, rental car etc however I still travel w/ a set of jumper cables and additional snacks for my 2 year old. Dealer claims numerous programing updates issued for these modules and my problems should be over - we'll see. All said and done still love my Yukon.
    My 07 Yukon was just in the shop for a leaking front differential. While they were doing an oil change on it they discovered that it was leaking.

Only 14,000 miles and seals are already leaking. Even though I love the thing it drives me nuts that GMC engineers/manufactures so poorly.
    Look out...the dealer may tell you that a certain amount of leakage is "acceptable". GM has been doing this forever. Take a position that zero leakage is the only acceptable solution...otherwise you may get something(big repair bill) that you won't like.
    They fixed the seal. According to them it was either a faulty seal or installed incorrectly. Lucky for me since it was in the shop they also performed the new reprogramming recall that previous posts have referenced. I just hope the reprogramming doesn't cause me any new problems.

Paying ~$50K for something that leaks is a quick way to get customers upset. I would have not settled for anything other than them fixing the leak.
    Kind of like the Harley Davidson legacy. Although in the case of GMC it could play a part in ruining them further.

One more comment for kicks, when the service rep told me that my rental was a Saturn I guess he was expecting me to blow up. Although it is pathetic that they give Yukon/Tahoe owners little compact ($12K) cars to drive while their SUV's ($50K) are tied up being fixed for a manufacturers defect it isn’t that big of a deal for one day.
  • greggbostongreggboston Member Posts: 39
    A little more info on the recall (#06162).

GM is calling it an "enhancement" for flex fuel vehicles (FFV) and are planning on updating dealer inventory and customers I assume as they return to the dealer. It is not a safety related recall. The date of the recall was 12/12/06.

From what I have observed the AFM system may have been desensitized and seems to drop into V4 mode more readily and stay there. Haven't had an opportunity to do some MPG studies to see if it has actually improved.

I suspect, and this is pure speculation on my part, that a lot of the compliants about MPG with the 2007s may have been related to FFVs and this is GM's answer to the issue. I'm really really curious whether anyone out there has had this update applied and noticed an MPG improvement.

BTW this board has been really quiet lately - guess everyone's out there enjoying their 2007's!

Regards,
    - Gregg
    Boston, Mass
  • p356ap356a Member Posts: 3
    I just had the "enhancement" performed on my 2007 Yukon which was delivered in late august 2006 and definitely noticed an improvement in the engines ability to go in v-4 sooner and stay longer. Hopefully this translates into better MPG.
    I learned about this recall on this forum and when I asked my dealer he said my car was due. I never received a recall letter. Is this a recall or simply an enhancement performed by the dealer at will.
  • johny7johny7 Member Posts: 1
    Has anybody tried out the new GM LOCKPICK GEN 2 from coastaletech? Are there any unsupported features with this version of the GM LOCKPICK GEN 2? Finally, how well does it work…..would you recommend it?
  • junglegeorgejunglegeorge Member Posts: 129
    Works great, I just got back from NC a 1500 trip, and I installed it just before I left. I have a 07 LTZ with all the toys except the rear DVD (no kids). I purchased the GM LOCKPICK GEN 2 to unlock the nav and Xm, it works perfectly as designed, I used the switched power output to power my radar detector. Installation was simple, the most difficult part was removing the trim from dash. Try a blunt blade with some duct tape, that worked for me. Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.