Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 and newer Chevrolet Tahoe and GMC Yukon

Comments

• wrongshuiwrongshui Member Posts: 1
    I really like the way the new z71 looks, but I bought my LTZ about 6 months ago...

Does anyone know where I can find the satin chrome insert grille and the sidesteps?

I looked through the GM parts list, and didnt see them. Would love to get atleast the grille... not sure if I want to put out the $$$ on the sidesteps.

Thanks!
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    I'm afraid I don't see how my last paragraph states any such thing. The only thing bound is your deposit- you end up giving up the vehicle. In theory, the "good faith" money is like paying the dealership to place an order using their limited number of allocations. Since your order gets placed (assuming they didn't screw something up, as in the current situation), they are perfectly within their right to keep that money regardless of whether you then also purchase the vehicle when it arrives on the showroom floor. That money could also be seen as giving you "first dibs" on buying the vehicle when it's in the showroom. That deposit is also normally credited against the negotiated price of the vehicle if the orderee chooses to accept it.

So I see nothing inconsistent with what I stated above? You're basically paying the dealership to take a risk, and they're subtracting it from the costs, once known, of the vehicle, when it comes in.

In practice, most people seem to have little trouble getting their deposit back when they turn down a vehicle they've had ordered though, regardless of the reasons.

BTW, this is the same practice most repair shops (including dealerships) use when you take a vehicle in for "diagnosis" of a problem- they charge you a diagnostic fee, which is normally subtracted off of the actual repair charges if you also agree to let them fix the problem, once identified.
    I'd try the parts department of your local dealership. Even though these parts aren't (yet?) on the accessories site they should be able to help, just as they would for nearly any other part of our vehicles.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    We had a recent deposit conversation somewhere in SUVs; don't remember which discussion off-hand. The upshot is that some state laws don't permit the dealer to keep a deposit. The consequence is that it's hard to special order cars in some states. :P
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Jerry, if the deposit is simply buying an option to purchase a car for an unknown price at a later date which deposit will be credited against that sale, OK, I understand your position. This is not the usual meaning though of the word "deposit".
    A quick review of the Tahoe "build this vehicle" web site doesn't show much in the way of towing options. Sure it comes with a trailer hitch but there are no engine, radiator, suspension, etc. upgrades. The Yukon site does show an external tranny cooler as an option. This is in sharp contrast to the Silverado site which has a MaxTow kit for roughly 2K which includes bigger antisway bars, bigger rear end, bigger shocks, the 6.0 engine, a "SD" version of the transmission (I think the torque convertor is much bigger and holds more fluid), etc. etc.

Given the number of people who tow with a Tahoe, I'm surprised that there aren't some (profitable) options to choose from. Does it even come with an external tranny cooler?
  • tuscotoddtuscotodd Member Posts: 50
    I know that when I ordered mine (early build Tahoe 4x4 LT3) - that as soon as I chose the locking differential it forced other options. At that time - to get the locking differential, you had to order 4.10 gears. If you ordered 4.10 gears, you had to order the external tranny cooler. What was interesting though - is at least at that time - you couldn't set it up the other way. In other words, you couldn't order the tranny cooler without getting the 4x4 and 4.10 gearing option.
    Not sure if it is still structured that way, as there are options now available that weren't then (I ordered mine mid-Feb 2006). :confuse:
  • hardin_thickehardin_thicke Member Posts: 35
    I just ordered my Tahoe with the locking differential and it did not force any other options. I did so because as far as I'm concerned a 4x4 isn't a 4x4 unless it has a locking differential. It was around $300.00
  • tuscotoddtuscotodd Member Posts: 50
    Sounds like things have mellowed a bit as far as option requirements. :) I guess that is part of the price I paid by ordering mine shortly after they became available.
    BTW - I'm with you - if I am ordering 4x4, it had best have a locking differential in the rear at a minimum! :D
  • tyresmokertyresmoker Member Posts: 266
    I actually drove the Denali last week. I must admit, I was smitten by the exhaust note in the cabin. Pretty cool. A new Rover is out of the question. Completely. I love the truck and the experience has been an interesting one, but the basic economic theory of diminishing returns is in full effect.
    What are some of the "real world" gas mileage results Denali drivers are experiencing? I can live with 13-14 city mpg burning regular gas, but anything less....
    Does your buyers order have a VIN number on it? If it does, then you left a deposit for said real property. If it does not, you will not be able to collect on your claim due to the fact that there is no assignment of real property (actual VIN)to the sales order. Flip your order and read the fine print regarding ordered vehicles. There should be a performance clause in there that addresses issues such as these. The bottom line usually defaults to the fact if the dealer does not deliver requested property in a given period of time (usually 8 weeks), they are to return your deposit. In other words, the dealers out is their inability to deliver.
    Btw..you can do much better on your own in putting a deal together, avoiding the supplier discount.
  • valvestudvalvestud Member Posts: 35
    I have a Denali XL and love it! I'm getting 13-14 mpg consistently. If you're not getting an XL, you should do as well or better... unless you can't stay out of the throttle. The best parts of this vehicle are:

Looks, Sound System, power/acceleration 6.2 380HP, 20" wheels, and all the other little goodies not found on base models.

Regards,

Joe
    Tyresmoker, I'm not an attorney but after enough years running a successful business, I know a couple of things. One is that contract law varies significantly from state to state. But in no state does a valid contract require citing a VIN (or any other) number. Secondly, I've always been amazed at how casually people approach buying a car. Companies use Purchase Orders when buying things. Some POs run many, many pages (you should see GE's: it is so one-sided it is comical.) Yet, Joe Consumer accepts and uses unchanged the dealer's buyer's order (really, the customer's Purchase Order) and other forms. All the prospective buyer has to do is to tell the guy whose name is handwritten (it always is) in on a business card that he needs a day or so to run it buy his attorney "to check the language". Everyone slows down, the paperwork gets reviewed calmly and in a business like venue (not a showroom floor) and no one gets hurt.
    At this point, there is no purchase order, buyer's order, invoice, or B.O.S., only my cancelled check, and a receipt for it. The Tahoe is due in tomorrow, and I have no problem paying the additional amount due. The question I had was whether or not they were trying to pull fast one on me. I've since discovered that they're not. People make mistakes and since the salesman is a neighbor, I don't feel the need to squeeze the dealership to make good on something we haven't even signed on. I'm comfortable with that situation because the Tahoe was purchased on Supplier Plan. Otherwise, I think I would have required an invoice at this point in the process.
  • gfraigungfraigun Member Posts: 70
    Hey, if you are good with the price thats what matters. When I purchased my tahoe I relied on the price they gave me and specifically ordered based on the price I was given in a written quote, so I did complain when they tried to raise the price on me and they honored the price quoted. But, that may be a different sitation.

However, did you say that you ordered more features on the truck because of the original great price? I personally think its a little unfair that you ordered extra because of the price you were given just to find out its almost $3000 more than they said. But mistakes do happen.

But there is one thing I can say... I hope you like yours as much as I like mine. Now that I have my tahoe I hate driving my wife's infiniti which is supposed to be a higher end car. Good luck and happy driving...
  • rhame13rhame13 Member Posts: 23
    blckislandguy

Not sure from your post what I have overlooked about pointing out the positive experience that I have had with my 07 Yukon to tyresmoker?

I have always had a pleasurable experience buying both my Denali's and my Corvette from GM dealerships. The service has always been good. (Does a limo pick me up and take me to the office....no but I will live.) Maybe you have had a different type of experience with your Tahoe\Yukon at your local GM dealership. If so, please share your experience with us. I know from a previous post on Feb 2, 2007 you mentioned you had a F150 Supercab.

I do however, must disagree with your characterization that anyone looking to purchase a Range Rover or a Tahoe LTZ is both pompous and racist (wouldn't hire a migrant workers). Those unflattering characteristics are widespread and unfortunately can be found in someone shopping at the John Deere, Saturn, Mercedes, Ferrari or Dunkin Donuts. I am sure that you meant to convey something different when you typed that paragraph than what I took away from it.

Anyone of us can pick people out of the general public at the businesses that we frequent and find inept people that we would never hire.....GM dealerships do not have a racket on these people (unfortunately these people are everywhere so we must deal with it). The same can be said for a rude person that treats you badly whether it is in person or on the phone. All businesses have them.

Waiting for service? Almost no one could tell you with a straight face that they love waiting in line FOR ANYTHING. If I am driving an 07 Range Rover and take it in for service at the dealership, there could very well be an 04 Freelander in front of me getting service.....and I would have to wait. I would just have to deal with the fact that they beat me there.

Your statement on the Escalade? I am not sure about your locale, but most of the people that I see driving Escalades are suburban soccer moms. Come to think of it....many of them are also wearing really nice gold chains.....because they can afford it.....like the Escalade.

The 20' wheels. Your statement was valid on the older body style Yukon\Tahoe...20'+ wheels without any additional modifications would beat you to death. However with the new body style.....it's night and day difference. With my 07 I ordered the 20' wheel option and I am very happy that I did. The ride quality & handling are excellent with the 20' wheels even after 7500 miles.

So make some time to go to a different GM dealership than what you have previously dealt with and talk with the general manager and tell him of your previous experience and I am sure he will put you with a dedicated salesperson to help address your needs. While you are there, drive a new Yukon\Tahoe with 20' wheels and see what you think.
    :shades:
  • rhame13rhame13 Member Posts: 23
    tyresmoker

That exhaust is really cool isn't it.....It will make you a believer. Look at getting the power running boards....I love mine....well worth the wait when I ordered it.

MPG....I have the regular Denali and I am also consistently getting 13-14 with a lot of stop and go daily traffic. I also have a pretty heavy foot and tend to 'get on it' to hear the exhaust. On the one long trip that I have taken so far....16-18 was my avg.

Good luck with your decision.
    :shades:
    I have always stated that the best warranty and service department is the one that you never use (except for routine maintenance). As far as loaners, they do make it "easier" to deal with problems, but not ideal. I use my car as my office, and moving from it to a loaner, regardless of how nice, gets old really fast.
    As far as the Tahoe pricing mistake...Didn't you build and price your car online through the GM supplier site? If so, didn't you notice the price descrepency when you talked to your dealer? If so, why didn't you question it then? If not, perhaps better preparation on your behalf would have avoided the situation that you are presently in...The term "buyer beware" comes to mind..
    Thanks for posting the real world mileage figures..they do not seem too bad...
    "As far as the Tahoe pricing mistake...Didn't you build and price your car online through the GM supplier site?"

No. I wasn't aware of a build program on the supplier site. We used the GM dealers' site for building the vehicle. Apparently there's a bug in the program that is not including the LT3 option price.

"If so, didn't you notice the price descrepency when you talked to your dealer?"

No. I was sitting side by side my salesman going thru the build. The price doesn't tally until the end so there's no way of seeing if an option doesn't add to the price.

"If not, perhaps better preparation on your behalf would have avoided the situation that you are presently in..."

Situation? It's $2,800 dollars, not $28,000, and far from a "situation" I'd say.

Let me state again that I'm not interested in taking something that I didn't pay for. I'm only interested in making sure that a)they're not taking something from me that they shouldn't, and b)I'm getting my supplier discount for the LT3 option, and I am.
    Ummmmm, maybe you could have built your truck on the edmunds site, took the invoice price, added 4% and compared it to the price the dealer gave you...At that point you would have noticed the delta.
    As far as the "situation"...$2800 or $28,000..Money is money.
  • ksm2007ksm2007 Member Posts: 1
    The manual says OK for unleaded, but gas cap says prefers premium. What are most drivers choosing for the 6.2l engine?
  • 73shark73shark Member Posts: 325
    Most vehicles that require premium will tolerate regular but performance is reduced by the computer by retarding the timing to prevent knocking/detonation .
  • pvorwerkpvorwerk Member Posts: 9
    I ordered an 07 Yukon 4wd a few weeks ago, and this post scared me - I didn't remember checking off the locking differential option. I looked, and it appears that the GMC 4wd's come packaged with the locking differential.
    Here's the deal with the Tahoe. The locking differential is an option on all trim levels with the exception of the Z71. It is included with the Z71. If you get the 4WD option, it's a major blunder to omit the locking differential, also called limited slip differential. It's also one of those options that are way more expensive to add later on versus ordering it on the vehicle. Even if you never plan to go offroad, a locking differential is a lifesaver in the snow. The two manufacturers I've dealt with, Chrysler and Chevrolet have always sold it as an option on their standard trim lines.
  • valvestudvalvestud Member Posts: 35
    No premium suggestion (or any other sticker) on my XL gas door/cap. Manual states 87 unleaded for any engine other than base 5.3, which can use blended fuel.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    There are no damages here. The dealership offered to return your money for the mistake. You're out nothing.

Two choices.....take the vehicle at the higher price, or take the refund and look elsewhere.

Pretty simple. Until you sign the finance contract and take possession (drive it off the dealer's lot), there is nothing that you're out.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • saratogalakesaratogalake Member Posts: 19
    My 2007 Tahoe came with Locking Rear Differential as part of the LTZ equipment group package. And by the way, I just went over 23,000 miles and I'm still very happy with the car. ZERO problems or complaints.. Got to try the Auto & 4WD modes in the snow last week. Car was great..
    Curiously enough it seems to me that when you compare spec for spec a well optioned Yukon with the locking differential is significantly ($2000) less than the same level of options in a Tahoe. The only difference seems to be that the Yukon even when loaded up doesn't have as many power seat adjustments (6?) as a loaded Tahoe (12). (They must be saving this for the Denali.) I do see that the Yukon offers a an external oil cooler as an option. I would think this would be a must-have option for Yukon buyers and a must-have dealer installed option on Tahoe's (just buy it at the GM dealer).

Speaking of oil coolers, I'd really like to see Tahoe have more factory towing/engine/transmission options. These upgrades are cheaper in the long run. We've gotten 20 years of hard use out of an F150 because we specc'd it with a 351 engine, not the 302, and not so incidentally, this larger engine came with the far superior C6 tranny, a tranny cooler, etc.

Additonally, and this is from memory, it seems that the $4500 bump from the highest level of the LT option package to the LTZ is a very costly step indeed. Unless you really need a third row seat, Autoride suspension, locking differential, power lift gate or heated windshield washers. These options are all available separately and it might make a lot of sense to just pick and choose. (Living in the Northeast I would take the heated windshield washer fluid and the locking differential and pocket the $4000 savings.)

Finally, I couldn't find any space on the GM "build this vehicle" Tahoe section for the Z71 option. Did I miss it?
    Good info and points. I hesitated to chime in about the locking differential and the LTZ package, because I wasn't sure if it was included as part of the LTZ package on the Tahoe or not. It was part of the LTZ package on my Avalanche, along with most of the same things you've listed for the Tahoe's package (minus power lift gate, third row seat, heated second row seats??, etc.).

hardin_thicke- one minor correction. You've said that the locking differential is "also called limited slip differential". This is definitely not true. In our GM vehicles, which are equipped with the G80, this is a true "locker", that locks both wheels together if more than 100 rpm difference exists between the two rear wheels. There've been a lot of posts comparing the "limited slip" differentials available in other bands to the lockers in GM vehicles. With the locker torque is split evenly to both rear wheels when it locks, as they are physically locked together (like a solid axle). Limited slip differentials only transfer some of the torque to the wheel that's not slipping (and usually a very limited amount). There've been a few demonstrations on some truck television programs of why the locker we have is better than the limited slip for most normal "truck" use.

Limited slips do have advantages for racing-style and performance vehicle use though..
    You're right Jerry on the locking vs limited slip differential. Thanks for the correction. My present ride, a 2500 Turbodiesel Ram has a limited slip diff, and although it's very effective, it took time, and a lot of patience to get it to work just right, adding the "slip fluid" and trying it, then add a little more, and trying it. And when you change out the gear oil, you have to do this all over again.
  • junglegeorgejunglegeorge Member Posts: 129
    FYI the oil cooler is only available as a factory option if you order the 4:10 gears, if you do not select the 410's when building the truck, it is not offered as an option. I just purchased the factory cooler from Chevy for $80, as I ordered my LTZ with 3:73's - Hope that helps, george
    FYI the oil cooler is only available as a factory option if you order the 4:10 gears, if you do not select the 410's when building the truck, it is not offered as an option. I just purchased the factory cooler from Chevy for $80, as I ordered my LTZ with 3:73's - Hope that helps, george
    It looks like these GM product planners have little interest in the real world application of their products nor for the profit potential in oil coolers, 6.0 engine options (why can you get a 6.0 in a 1/2 ton pick up but not in a Tahoe?), upgraded suspension packages, etc. etc. I'll bet these guys have never backed a 26' center console down a boat ramp as the tide was coming in or changed lube oil when they were a kid. I'll bet they think that an antisway bar is a bar over near West Grand Ave in Detroit that bans dancing. Come on guys, why give this market away to the aftermarket?
    The 6.0L is available in the Avalanche and Suburban, but only with the 4.10 suspension (and maybe the AutoRide package- definitely NOT with the Z-71 though). Interestingly enough, the 5.3L w/4.10 rear end still has the same maximum tow rating as the 6.0L. I guess for towing there are other limitations besides hp / torque going on with the 900 SUVs.
    Jerry, maybe not. Wouldn't a 5.3 twisting a low (i.e., 4.10) rear end put the engine in the same spot on the torque curve at say 60 MPH as a 6.0 just loafing along at a lower RPM through a higher (lower numerically) gear set?

Leaving the Philadelphia lawyering aside, I'd rather have a 6.0 any day: it comes with a better torque convertor that holds more fluid, cooler. You might it 120K with this one before a rebuild.
  • hdfurnmanhdfurnman Member Posts: 3
    We Live In NE WI and the weather is very cold as of late have a NEW O7 TAHOE The rear lift does not work below 6 degrees and now we are experencing really bad road noise to the piont were we can not even talk with out raising the volume in your voice and now we have a clunk jerk motion in the front have had it to the dealer 3 times last was yesterday told to use lift gate in maual mode when cold out and yes its loud ( road noise) but they are not sure whats causing it Could be the roads My wife swears she feels the clunk on her foot when drivig any one else have these problems
  • saratogalakesaratogalake Member Posts: 19
    My '07 Tahoe has been in below zero temps and the rear lift has worked fine. As for the noise your hearing, I experienced the same thing up at my weekend house where the roads were covered with ice & salt. Once I got back on clean roads, the noise just went away.. Not sure what caused it but the other day, it was -2 and my tires felt really strange until they warmed up (25 miles of driving). It sort of felt like they were square and not round.. Anyone else experience this?? Also.. I see many '07 Tahoe's that do not have the Flexfuel badge on the rear hatch.. (Mine does) Any reason why?? I know they all can use E85.. I wonder if they have been stolen.. Any of you out there run your Tahoe on E85??
    The flexfuel badge came later in the year. Mine is May build and it didn't have it.
  • hdfurnmanhdfurnman Member Posts: 3
    My dealer told me the things with lift gate and i have expeienced at least three different occasions.
    as for the tires the clunk does'nt go away after driving nor does the road niose if it is salt or dirt on the road thats a deffinate problem cause in wi we have winter at least 3 months if not longer So i am woundering is this the tires do they need changing or what it is any one else out there having these niose problems its getting to be a real problem so any help would be appreciated
  • ltzinltzin Member Posts: 15
    I just found another recall for my LTZ at mygm link. does anyone know what this one is for #07033. At the link site they did not have the letter just the recall number.
  • rshtrsht Member Posts: 277
    As I heard that the 07033 is "Possibily" for the Battery Rundown and Keyless Re-program... GM Dealership Service Department should be able to run a check on their system to be sure.
  • gfraigungfraigun Member Posts: 70
    What do you mean by Battery Rundown and Keyless Re-program? What are the issues with the Keyless?
    I have 2 recalls posted on "MYGMLINK" for my early 2007 LTZ #1 06162 we know this is related to a flex fuel sensor issue. #2 07007 differant from your 07033 - no idea what these are for.
    I've read a few posts where owners have had problems with the fobs retaining programming. Maybe 07033 addresses that issue.
  • rshtrsht Member Posts: 277
    There has been complaints about using Radios and watching DVDs on earlier 2007 Yukan and Escalates... without their engines running, their battery power suppose to be protected by the on-board Battery Rundown protection circuitry from being overly drained; however, what these people experienced were drained batteries and caused them not able to restart their engines. Some, further reported that they only ran their radios for an hour or less, and their new batteries already gotten so weak their starters can't even turn the engines... I think the ID #07033 may have something to do about that issue. Our GM Service Department should have the latest about that whether its the Battery Rundown protection issue or not.

I visited the mygm link and searched via my VIN #, and no recall for it yet... Keep my fingers crossed.
    Any one else have the 07007 recall listed on MYGMLINK ?
    I've got it and 06162 which is the one re: E85 sensor.
  • drich3drich3 Member Posts: 3
    I have an 07 tahoe LTZ with several problems, first there is wind noise coming from ( I think) the doors which sounds like you have the window cracked open, been to the shop 3 times with no fix yet. The drivers mirror vibrates,they replaced it, and the new one vibrates too. The HVAC system whistles in the back, they replaced the motor, still does it, put new vents in door handle, still does it. I put a Lund bug deflector on which creates a wind whistle, so I had to take that off. An hour drive in this thing will have you ready to launch it in the trees! All this for $50 large! Has anyone else had any of these problems?
    I'm not sure I understood what you mean blckislandguy. The 6.0L can only be had with the 4.10 rear end right now, and the tow rating with that rear end on the Av / 'burb is the same as the 5.3's maximum (which is with the 4.10 also). All I meant was that evidently the extra power that the 6.0L puts out (no argument about it being stronger or not) isn't helping max tow ability. I'm sure the towing performance will be better, but something else must be behind GM's keeping the max #'s the same for both engines with the same rear end.

I agree about the tranny difference, though I'm not sure that the standard 4L60E and it's torque converter will be any more problematic if the vehicle isn't dogged a lot. I'd personally love to see a 6L70E in all of them though. :D
    Whatever it is, it's showing up for my Avalanche now too.
This discussion has been closed.