Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 and newer Chevrolet Tahoe and GMC Yukon

Comments

• junglegeorgejunglegeorge Member Posts: 129
    First of all the GM bug deflector is great, makes no noise at all. Next I also had wind noise, I first thought it was a door gasket issue, I was wrong, it ended up being the rear lift glass not sealing properly, simple fix. Last, the service bulletin for the mirrors shake states to power fold the outside mirrors 3-6 times to set them properly. This took most, not all of the shake out of mine. Good luck
    My service manager states that the 07007 - and 07033 is a re-program (flash) of the BCM (body control module) to prevent the radio from draining the battery and improve operation of the keyless entry.
  • hardin_thickehardin_thicke Member Posts: 35
    My vehicle was built several weeks ago. Can I assume that 07033 has been incorporated into my build? How can I find out? I'm picking it up in 3 days.
  • drich3drich3 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info junglegeorge, they have already replaced the door gasket, door track, and the windshield. Their going to think I'm nuts when I tell them to check the rear lift glass! I'll try the mirrors also.
    Go to WWW/mygmlink.com, sign in/up, enter your VIN# and it will list all necessary recalls. Good luck.
  • saratogalakesaratogalake Member Posts: 19
    OK.. We are getting about 2+ feet of snow dumped on use in Saratoga Springs, NY. And to make things worse, it''s +3 outside! I've tried for the past 3 weeks to locate Winter Wipers for my '07 Tahoe. No luck.. The dealer had no idea the wiper mount had changed and swore up & down the '06 wipers would fit.. Was hey surprised when he couldn't make them fit.. Now.. The factory wipers are worthless in this heavy snow and ice.. Where can I find a set of Winter or as they are called "Artic" Wipers?? Thanks in advance..
    You Can’t!!! I wrote to all the major suppliers, they all responded with a simple statement. GM went to a new design, and due to the patent, they cant make the new mount. This included Trico, ANCO, PIAA, Bosh, etc. One VP at Trico did tell me who actually makes the mount and blades for GM, (I have that e-mail at work, and will get it to you tomorrow) I contacted that company, and they have no plans for a winter blade. VERY DISAPOINTING, the GM engineer who came up with this bright ides should be shot then made to drive in this weather. Add this to the lack of a rear window air deflector, the low ground clearance, and you quickly find that this in not a winter vehicle. I just got home, and tried to drive up my unplowed driveway, here in Schenectady we got 20 inches today, and I ripped the air dam right off the front of the truck. Good luck, and if you find something I missed please pass it along.
    George Upstate NY
  • greggbostongreggboston Member Posts: 39
    Hi,

Had the same mirror problem on our 2007 Suburban... Dealer replaced it 2x, performed a "cure" yet the glass still vibrates. Now says "it's normal". Annoying at highway speeds. Not to mention they botched the paint job on the mirror and had to redo it. The passenger side mirror glass is solid, no noticeable movement.

Do get some door seal/gasket rubbing sounds under certain temps/conditions. Most seems to be coming from the little strip at the glass level between front/rear doors. Silicone does quiet them however.

Regards,
    Gregg
    Boston, Mass
    We've had the driver's side wiper blade pop off while cleaning snow ice/off the windshield a couple of times now. I'm concerned the blade will fly off on the highway during a snowstorm, that will be fun...

Oh and tonight no washer fluid is coming out of the driver's side arm. It was above freezing today so I doubt it froze up...

Regards,
    Gregg
    Boston, Mass
  • akademik7otterakademik7otter Member Posts: 2
    Are there any companies out there making custom chrome grilles for the 07 gmc denali? I was initially attracted to the grille but would like to remove the GMC logo, giving it a cleaner look. If anyone knows please help me out. THanks.
  • 73shark73shark Member Posts: 325
    I heard that there is some kind of fix for no fluid coming out of the washer. Check with your service dept.

Tire Rack is the only place I've found that says they sell regular blades with the new attachment. Never got a price.
  • rshtrsht Member Posts: 277
    Have you checked with http://mrgrille.com or contact their Sales at "ted@mrgrille.com"
    Good Luck!
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Anyone here have a 2wd 5.3 with flexfuel. How do you like it? What kind of milage are you getting? Any problems going from reg gas to the ethanol? Also does the flexfuel engine also have the dod (engine mgmt) option?

Thanks!

Ryan
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    All 5.3L have Active Fuel Management (old name, DOD). As for mileage, it seems to be about mid to upper teens for such a 2wd on regular gas, and that drops with E85 because of the way it burns.

Others should also be able to chime in again with more mileage reviews.
  • 4speed14speed1 Member Posts: 6
    I got that 2wd & 5.3 flex fuel. i can't get ethanol around here--just regular gas. I'm aveaging 21.1 mpg .
    When I first got it I got 17.5, and it steadily went up and seems to have topped out at 21.1., with I'm very happy with.

Tested by the onboard computer and by the old fashioned way. the onboard computer is within about 1/10 mpg.

I don't know the highway mileage since I still haven't taken any kind of a long trip in this Tahoe.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Thanks for the replies guys. I am not to concerned about gas milage I was just curious. I would like something slightly better than my 00 Silverado 5.3 4wd (13-15). I would mainly be driving highway (75%) and those numbers arent bad. Its in the middle between my truck and impala.

I have flexfuel available not sure on current prices. I did find the perfect tahoe recently on a dealers lot but I wont seriously look until later this summer probably an 08 model?

Also are you able to get a 2wd LS model with a sunroof? All the sites I have been on do not have this as an option
  • csprickcsprick Member Posts: 21
    Wow, Congratulations, 4speed1!! What's your secret?

Do you do all of your driving downhill? I also have the 2wd and 5.3 flex fuel engine and averaged about 15.5 mpg over the past four or five tankfuls. Of course, most of my driving was short trips @ speeds of 40 mph or less, although there was some freeway driving mixed in there.

The only "all day trip" miles I've put on my Tahoe was just after I turned over 1,000 miles, from LA to Houston over three days and averaged about 16.5 mpg. I wrote that off to not really being broken in yet and hope for bettter next time I take it on a long trip. Currently I've got about 6500 miles on it.

I do see it drop down to 4 cylinder operation a lot, if I remember to keep a rather light foot on the gas, so that feature seems to be working.

I'd also like to see some other responses on what kind of mileage people are getting.

Thanks.
    I took a trip to Florida in December. I live in New York and the total round trip mileage was 4735. I averaged just shy of 20 MPG for the entire trip. There were some stretches of road in Florida where you had to do 90 or get run over my speeding trucks!! Overall mileage has been getting much better. I now have 23,890 miles on my '07 Tahoe. While mine is a 4WD model, the entire trip to Florida was made in the 2WD mode. By the way, I saw no E85 Ethanol available on the entire east coast. I had a 1996 Yukon before the Tahoe. I made the same trip 2 years ago and averaged around 24.5 MPG. The Yukon had 123,000 miles on it at the time. Guess we can look forward to better MPG once we have 100,000 mile on the odometer..
  • dmyer3dmyer3 Member Posts: 17
    I agree with you saratogalake. I drove from Charlotte, N.C. last Sept. and from the hotel to my driveway in central Ohio I got 19.4 mpg. That includes gas & restaurant stops and driving thru some mountains at 70-75 mph. I have an '07 Yukon, 4WD, 5.3 flex-fuel, 3.73 axle. I think my mileage at that time was around 4,000. I did have synthetic oil in crankcase.
  • rockin_ltzrockin_ltz Member Posts: 61
    Hey guys...You can go back several pages on this board and see some serious and heated discussions on the mileage that these beasts are getting!! A lot of people were complaining that it's not even close to what the sticker estimates.

My wife drives our 07 LTZ (5.3L with 3.73's) about 95% of the time...And the best I've seen so far (had it 11 months now with about 13K miles) is around 15.5. This is almost entirely city / around home driving with little to no highway miles. Not too bad I guess beings the sticker states 16 MPG in the city.....
  • rockman59rockman59 Member Posts: 250
    Even though you can't find many Ethanol stations in the entire country, some gasoline may already have up to 10% Ethanol already in it. Here in Southern California the pumps have stickers stating that fact. I checked at a local Shell station and the manager told me that their "gas" was 10% Ethanol. I notice that my '06 4 x4 Suburban gets about 10% less mileage when using the blended fuel. We are paying $2.70 a gallon for regular here....and getting "gas" that does not even deliver the mileage that regular fuel will deliver.
  • 4speed14speed1 Member Posts: 6
    My secret is

--CRUISE CONTROL

--Not racing up to red lights like 99.9% of drivers do. Always amazes me how many people are in a hurry to get to a red light.

--And drive quite softly overall.

I also go the speed limit--rarely go over 70--usually do 60-65 mph. My hot-rodding day are past me. I already set plenty of land speed records and have the tickets to prove it.

But I have had it up to 90 -100 mph a fews times :)

Most people do not use cruise control, but it makes a hell of a difference. I know this because I see people varying their speed all the time while mine is constant.

I used to have a 99 Tahoe 2 door, and the most I ever got out of it was about 17mpg with the same driving style I have now. This 07 tahoe is a much better motor with more power too.

The Tahoe will run in 4 cyl mode as long as your going under 70 (level road).

At 55-60/mph it will run in 4 cyl mode even on slight hills. This definatly helps the MPG.

But I see people passing me in their 07 Tahoes all the time doing 80mph-----so I guess that's why you got people on here complaining about mpg's.

Now I wish the Tahoe had a 5 speed manual transmission---That would be cool. Why doesn't Chevy do that?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    see some serious and heated discussions on the mileage that these beasts are getting!!

For even more fun, visit Chevrolet Suburban and GMC Tahoe MPG - Real World Numbers.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • csprickcsprick Member Posts: 21
    Thanks for the info, 4speed1. That's good advice you shared with us. I'm curious as to where you live, or more specifically, the type of roads you travel. I have to admit that I do not use my cruise control very much, except on long trips on Interstates.

I live north of Houston about 6 miles from the nearest highway - lots of stoplights between me and a 60 mph road. A lot of my travel is local streets, i.e., non-highway, with max SL of 40-45mph. Once I do hit a highway (and a lot of them here in TX are two lane or four lane undivided), the traffic is usually heavy and traffic speeds vary so much that using the cruise control seems pointless. Like you, my speeding days are mostly past and I also try to drive "soft". The old recommendation about pretending there is an egg between one's foot and the pedal does help improve the mileage. I'm hoping the mileage will improve as I get more miles on my Tahoe.

My observations regarding the 4 cyl mode is pretty much like yours; however, I wore out my left leg shifting a manual transmission in a Nissan 4X4 while commuting 50 miles a day on Hwy 101 through Silicon Valley a few years ago. I got my fill of "freeways" in the San Francisco Bay area and for the past five years commuting to downtown LA.

God Bless Texas! ;)
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    Pretty much identical results and methodology to what gets me similar results with my Avalanche (actually, you're currently just a tiny bit higher on your results than I'm seeing). Glad to see someone that "actually owns a Tahoe" posting this experience.
    Been there, done that (seriously!). Hence the dig about "actually owns a Tahoe" above. :D

On the other hand, I've been pretty consistently upper 17's to mid-18's for the past couple months. I'm hoping it's mostly to do with the colder weather and possibly fuel mix in this area. That is 90%+ highway for anyone wondering. Not sure what I'd get in some of the kinds of "in town" driving some here have to do (my own version of in-town hasn't put me below 17 yet though, but maybe it's a bit less stop'n'go and low speed than others).
    Your numbers are much better than mine, and we share the same driving style. Here in upstate NY we have 10% ethanol in our fuel, and that does have a negative effect on MPG. I have a 07-LTZ with 3:73 gears and about 14k on the clock, I have made several trips from upstate NY to NC, 700 miles each way, with a light load, best I can achieve on a trip is 17.5 and city is about 14.5. The truck will not stay in V4 unless I am costing. I have had numerous electrical issues that may be contributing to this issue, but love the truck. What gears are you running? George
    Wiper blade issue

I am looking to see how wide spread this issue is, and make you aware of a potential windshield wiper availability and performance issue. I have seen several previous posts on this site and others. If we get enough responses, I am confident the host will move us to a separate discussion topic. I live in up-state NY and we have just had our first true winter weather this year with 2+ feet of snow. Unfortunately, the wiper blades supplied on my 2007 LTZ Tahoe did not perform as expected. They iced up very quickly, and this prevented them from contacting the windshield properly. Additionally the passenger side has fallen off twice to date, (I found it the first time, was not so lucky the second time) I contributed this to the excess weight if the ice buildup, and the momentum of the swing blade. GM is using this newly designed 1 piece blade, with a new mounting mechanism, which is manufactured solely by Valeo, on all of the GMT-900 trucks. This new design utilizes a completely different mounting system that is not compatible with any other system. Neither aftermarket blades nor refills are compatible with this new design. When I went looking for a replacement blade, I found them to be non-existent. I checked the parts department at four separate Chevy dealers, none had these blades in stock, and all were surprised to find a redesigned mount. An extensive internet search reviled that “TIRE RACK” carries the Valeo on-line blade for $29.99 each; this is the same price that all four dealers quoted. I found this to be much more expensive than a premium aftermarket winter blade that cost $5.99 for my 04 Tahoe. I called the Valeo R&D center in Auburn Hills MI and discussed the issue with a Valeo representative who was very interested in my feedback. He stated that these blades are tested to perform in winter conditions, and was surprise to here that I had lost a blade twice. He confirmed that No winter blades are available, and that there are no plans to design any. He stated that my call was the only comment he has received regarding the new design, therefore I would encourage you to speak up on this issue if appropriate. Calls to several aftermarket manufactures confirmed this and also revealed a patent issue that currently prevents after marketers them from manufacturing a replacement. I strongly suggest that for the time being, that you face the situation, and purchase a spare blade set to keep them in the vehicle, as they are not yet readily available. I found my self-driving in the worst conditions with only one blade.

Contact info for Valeo:

VALEO Electrical Systems, Inc.
    Wiper Systems Division
    3000 University Drive
    MI 48326-2356 Auburn Hills (United States)
    tel: (1) 2483403000
    fax: (1) 2483403106

Thanks, George
    Hi George, Thanks for all the info. I just called Valeo and spoke to a darell whitney in sales. He was unaware of any other calls and the problem with the 2007 wiper blades. I explained the problem and he listened with great interest. He said the dealerships should have been aware of the change and should carry spares. I begged him to consider making a rubber covered winter blade as these blades are totally worthless in snow & ice. I made him aware that his company may be liable in the event of an accident due to the poor quality of the design of the blades and the lack of a winter option. I think more people should make the call and let them know the story. Maybe this will wake them up. Steve
    JungleGeorge said: Calls to several aftermarket manufacturers confirmed this and also revealed a patent issue that currently prevents after marketers from manufacturing a replacement blade.
    It is getting pretty bad when GM goes to outside vendors to get wiper blades that are patented and cannot be made by anyone else without paying a royalty. And you can bet GM is/will be getting a piece of this aftermarket pie too. Pardon my French, but this is really Chicken ..it. I have always been a GM fan but some of their latest tactics have completely turned me off, particularly the fact that you have to replace the entire fuel pump in order to change the fuel filter in my '06 Suburban. It is just another back door way to bleed the consumer.
    Take a good look at your ball joints, they are non-serviceable, one peice, with no grease fittings. When they fail, you will be forced to replace the entire control arm. As a matter of fact, I can only find 2 grease fittings on the entire truck. Maybe I am old-school, but I am very disappointed in some of the engineering, but over all I am still happy with the truck. I will only keep it 2-3 years, 40K - 60K miles and hopefully trade it prior to any major repairs. George
  • akademik7otterakademik7otter Member Posts: 2
    the latest model denalis/gmc yukons are from 2002 or 03. We are looking for an afermarket company to basically strip the cumbersome looking GMC logo and stay with the similar honeycomb design, for the newly remodeled 2007s. No billet look. Thanks.
    JungleGeorge said: I will only keep it 2-3 years, 40K - 60K miles and hopefully trade it prior to any major repairs.
    My last Suburban was a '92 that I bought in '92 and drove for 14 years until getting the '06 last June. I have always taken care of my vehicles and driven them for years. Not any more. I thing you are right....drive 'em and dump 'em, certainly before 100K miles when all those non-repairable parts will be wearing out.
  • jonrummjonrumm Member Posts: 1
    In August Last year I purchased a 2007 Chevrolet Suburban. At 2000 miles the car is 1st totally draining the battery. Since then every month same and the dealer can not find the problem. They changed 3 batteries. Today 2/21/2007 is the 7th time.
    Ha! By now, your service department certainly should believe there is a problem. So, what have your service department been telling you, its a part of monthly maintenance ??? What action(s) have you taken to let your dealership and GM know about this problem so far? Perhaps, if you can share with the members here, we can understand the situation better and help.

"7th time", I take that as in replaced your battery 3 times and only recharged the battery during 4 other visits?
    BTW, are you a member of the MyGMLink? If not, you may want to register at http://www.mygmlink.com and make sure to enter your Suburban's VIN number, then check under the Repair & Maintenance for any Recall on your SUV. I have heard people are getting the Recall with ID #07007 and #07033. Per what I found on the web, the 07007/07033 is a re-program (flash) of the BCM (Body Control Module) to prevent radio/DVD/etc from draining the battery and improve operation of the keyless entry... In this case, I hope you have the recall and can have the problem resolved soon.
  • seabyrdseabyrd Member Posts: 32
    Don't feel too bad.. I am getting 10 avg. MPG in my 3 week old 2007 Z71 4X4 Suburban.. I would be happy to get 15.. :)
  • ukon07ukon07 Member Posts: 5
    I have a leased 07 and was looking for the Sylvania type plug and play bulbs for the HID look. Anyone have any ideas on good replacements or easy to convert and change back HID kits? Many thanks, BB
    Hi,
    Get the software updated in the BCM, there is a recall for this exact issue. We had the battery drain twice in 6 months. Also my dealer told me they had a Suburban that had a sticking fuel pump relay that was draining the battery. They should be able to check the current draw and see if something is causing the battery to go dead, like this relay.

Good luck,
    -- Gregg
    Boston, Mass
  • mayhermayher Member Posts: 41
    Help: I am in the process of installing a set of headrest DVD players ( aftermarket) in my 07 Tahoe. Does anyone have an easy way to tap into the electrical system for power for these units? I found a set of wires under the dash that are taped off and not connected to anything. They are tagged as follows. White - ground, Red - battery, dark blue - accessory, lite blue chms. According to my meter none of these wires are live. Is there a fuse that needs to be installed to use these wires? If so where is it located?

If this is not the correct way to connect these DVD players, can anyone point in the right direction. I just want to make sure I don't fry anything

Thanks
  • sovereignmgmtsovereignmgmt Member Posts: 30
    Those wires are for the trailer brakes.

DO NOT CONNECT TO THEM!
  • sovereignmgmtsovereignmgmt Member Posts: 30
    Here is a link that will show you where to make the connection.

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,74956.msg1151882.htm- l#msg1151882
  • mayhermayher Member Posts: 41
    Thank you very much. I did find the terminals indicated on the link that you sent me but I was not sure if it was safe to connect to them. This confirms that I was on the right track. Thanks again
  • highsheriffhighsheriff Member Posts: 11
    I have 2007 tahoe LTZ with nav. after one week lost clock in the display. First for a day or so it would fade in and out then it was gone. In the window where it was displayed is faded out AUX. Dealer said they have notice of this from GM and are awaiting a fix possible reprogram. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • rhame13rhame13 Member Posts: 23
    highsheriff

Mine was doing the same thing several months ago off and on. Dealer said they received an upgrade for the ECN? and they flashed the memory and since then I haven't had any problems with it. Sorry I don't have any additional info about the tech bulletin etc. :shades:
    rhame13, thanks I will contact my service guy and pass this on. thanks
  • shawnhackettshawnhackett Member Posts: 16
    Had the same problem.

But it only disappeared when I had an MP3 CD in the player.

When I remove the CD and re-start the car, the clock comes back.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Check this out! Auto Parts Bargains and Coupons

Feel free to add your own to the growing list. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    shawnhackett,

What a great world we live in.. Just went out and took my MP3 CD out of the player and restarted my tahoe and the clock came back. My dealer had no ideal why the clock display had gone away and could not figure out a way to get it back. You gave me a fix,now GM can figure out why it happened. thanks :)
    Wow. I've read of a few 07 Av owners experiencing the same problem. I guess the delay getting my ordered Av built (ordered in late March, built / delivered in June / July) kept me from having this issue. I expected it, but hadn't tried an MP3 CD until this past week. Have you Tahoe / Yukon owners looked into whether specific build date ranges were affected, or if it seems to be all of your vehicles?
    My own lack of problems makes me think maybe it was corrected in later software revisions, and since you folks were able to buy several months before I could even order, you'd definitely have a greater chance of getting a bad stereo software revision.
This discussion has been closed.