Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 and newer Chevrolet Tahoe and GMC Yukon

Comments

• zoesamzoesam Member Posts: 33
    Been test driving all large 07 SUV's for weeks. Decided on Tahoe/Yukon w/the LT1/SLE-2 pkg. But I want "ultrasonic parking assist" option & don't see many LT1s offerred w/that option & don't want to hassle w/a factory order. Also don't wanna go to LT2 b/c of seating config & leather seats. Anyone know if the "ultrasonic parking assist" can be added after-market? Also, why is that feature dependent on "power adjustable pedals" & vice versa? Surely those 2 things are not dependent on one another from a engineering standpoint?

Additionally, anyone know if the 08 Tahoes & Yukons will offer the 6.2L engine w/the 6 speed transmission that's in the Yukon Denali? I liked that transmission, much smoother ride, but don't want the leather seats & 2nd row captains chairs that are std in the Denali.

Thanks!
    Zoesam
  • seabyrdseabyrd Member Posts: 32
    Go here and check it out ..

http://www.apogeekits.com/ultrasonic_parking_sensor.htm

Good luck..
  • dmyer3dmyer3 Member Posts: 17
    Tom213, thanks for your help.I'll call them and see what happens.
    Don
  • romosromos Member Posts: 2
    Tom,

I have a 2007 Yukon purchased on July 2006. I just called the Nav Disc Center and they are sending me my updated discs!! :) All I needed to provide was the last 8 digits of my VIN, shipping address, etc.

The dealer that I purchased from last year did not inform me of this program.

Thanks for sharing as this will allow me to use my savings towards performance upgrades!
  • onerskygrlonerskygrl Member Posts: 5
    Hi: I just bought a 2007 Denali and was wondering about how often we should get an updated map disc for the navigation system (living the phoenix metro area - the roads are always changing and new ones being built) - ARE THEY FREE??? How often do you get them and from who. Does somebody have a phone number? Thanks - Christina
  • junglegeorgejunglegeorge Member Posts: 129
    I was on the GM accessories zone site, and the net is available for the new body style 2007 Tahoe - for a whopping $75 plus shipping. Here is the link - GM ACCESSORIES ZONE Hope this helps, George
  • tom213tom213 Member Posts: 49
    Christina:

Check back (above) on my posts #2655 and #2657. They won't allow you to get a free update until the first anniversary of your purchase date. This is not the best way to do it, if you ask me. A new disk could become available right after you purchased and you'll have to wait a full year to get a database that will get replaced again just as you're getting the one year old version!! Oh well, they're free. As I said in my first post, you can keep NAVTEQ updated on road changes in your area like I'm doing here in OKC. Eventually I'll be driving home from work on a displayed road instead of what used to be a wheat field I see now on the screen! :-)
  • 73shark73shark Member Posts: 325
    "and just recently the driver side view mirror vibrates heavily when I'm driving on the freeway.. (can't see anything through it)"

Try retracting and extending the mirrors three times. It worked on my wife's 04 Tahoe.
  • rjt427rjt427 Member Posts: 26
    Has anyone used any cargo bags that go on top of the roof, I want to get one but don't know which one is good to use.Its going on a 2007 Tahoe, Thanks Bob
  • drich3drich3 Member Posts: 3
    get used to your mirror shaking! my LTZ does it too, they have replaced it and it still does it. I test drove three other tahoes off their lot and they all vibrated. there is no fix. Sorry. What did you expect for $50,000.
  • gfraigungfraigun Member Posts: 70
    " new disk could become available right after you purchased and you'll have to wait a full year to get a database that will get replaced again just as you're getting the one year old version!! "

Y'know, we have a 2002 Infiniti with a NAV and we still find that the Original Nav disk still works just fine. Over time there usually aren't significantly enough changes for most people to notice. Of course if a new freeway or highway opens that's something different...
    Unfortunately, this is a potential fix for the autofolding mirrors which I don't have... Also, that fix doesn't even work on all of the '07s

"Replying to: gfraigun (Jul 13, 2007 3:07 pm)

"and just recently the driver side view mirror vibrates heavily when I'm driving on the freeway.. (can't see anything through it)"

Try retracting and extending the mirrors three times. It worked on my wife's 04 Tahoe. "
  • rgrahamergrahame Member Posts: 4
    Mine still shakes too. The original stock one shook as well as the following two replacements. Waiting a bit to see if they can fix this problem with their supplier and give it another go. Pretty sad they can't get a mirror right.
  • rjt427rjt427 Member Posts: 26
    Can anyone help me on which roof top cargo bags to buy.
    Personally I'd stick to hard shell carriers as the bag type will mar the paint.
  • u045777u045777 Member Posts: 33
    Look into a hitch cargo carrier (As long as your suv has a hitch reciever). It's cheaper and easier to use. They hold up to 500lbs+ and since it is behind the vehicle it won't reduce your mpg's like a roof mounted carrier. It will pay for itself in the gas you will save it you intend to frive long distances at highway speeds!

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=bxgy_cc_img_b_13416871/601-5552717-2689- 713?asin=B0000AVW1G

http://www.drawtite-hitches.com/cargo_carriers/cargo-carrier-class-3-4.htm
    Yep, an old nav database will normally work just fine. It just depends on where you live OR plan on driving too. I have a portable Nav system (Tom Tom) for my wife's car and also use when we fly some where. Last November when we were out in Southern California in the Anaheim/Disneyland area, they were doing some major roadwork (new overpasses/exiting changes, etc.) which had us going every which-way. So you may be just fine with an old database where you are, but if you plan on doing some major traveling in unfamiliar territory, I'd get an update or be prepared for some instructions that may not be appropriate anymore.
  • ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    Ditto. A receiver hitch-mounted carrier is a great way to go, if you aren't already towing something back there. I have a friend who swore his mileage was not affected by a bag on top, but I still think the hitch platform type is easier to deal with. In fact, the extra load on the back of my Yukon XL results in a very smooth and comfortable ride. The rear end didn't sag at all, these trucks are definitely capable of carrying the extra weight. If you don't stack stuff too high, you can open the rear hatch without having to unload. I got mine at Cabela's, Hitch-Haul brand, $60.
  • timd32timd32 Member Posts: 1
    :sick: got my tahoe in june after 400mi the DIC is all scrambled and the letters are all messed up. They ordered a new cluster which just came in have not had a chance to get it back to get that installed.

in the meantime I went on a extended road trip for work and the thing sat in the driveway, I went to get in it to go for a ride and the battery is now dead. There was nothing left on like lights or acc plugged in to the outlets. Guess I will find out how good the roadside assistance is today.

busted out my Fluke 189 and it is 1.84v that thing is really dead not just 8-10v so I hope they can find it. I plan on leaving it there for a few days while I go on another work trip. :sick:
  • wolfpack1996wolfpack1996 Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: Does anyone know how to change the navigation system display to show arrival time instead of estimated time remaining to final destination? Page 21 of the navigation system supplement seems to indicate that this can be changed, but it doesn't tell you how to change it. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks - Michael
  • dmyer3dmyer3 Member Posts: 17
    timd32,
    have your dealer check your battery. Mine Failed after 13 months of service and had to have towed to dealer (on rollback). Turned out I had a defective battery. Roadsde assistance and the dealer gave excellent service.
    Don
  • rhame13rhame13 Member Posts: 23
    All,

This is not a commercial for the LockPick, this is just my own personal long-winded experience.

I just received my GMX-320 LockPick from Coastal Electronics (www.coastaletech.com) and had it installed along with their IPOD interface in my 2007 Yukon Denali with Navigation & rear entertainment. If you aren't familiar with the GMX 320, it allows the DVD & AUX inputs to play on Nav screen while you are in drive, and it allows XM scrolling of the categories & Navigation destination input while in drive. The IPOD unit integrates your IPOD Playlist etc back through your factory navigation & stereo.

I pre-ordered the unit several weeks ago and it arrived at my house on Thursday. Saturday morning I went to a local car audio installer (Car Toys etc would not install due to liability reasons they stated)on Saturday and the IPOD unit literally installs in seconds. The GMX 320 unit requires you to remove the trim piece on the dash. I recommend greasing the clips so it will be easier to remove the next time you need to access behind the stereo. (I am adding a video Bluetooth unit in the near future)

We had some trouble getting the GMX 320 unit working and had to call Coastal E Tech for technical assistance. Within an hour Dave the owner of Coastal Electronics and the inventor of the LockPick called me back and helped us troubleshoot the unit. We narrowed it down to a faulty wiring harness. Dave overnighted me another unit and wiring harness first thing on Monday and I received today and we finished up the install. Like many others have posted, I too have sent them emails in the past that went unanswered, which is frustrating because I couldn't find their phone number on their web site to call. When they mailed me the units, they sent me a card with their phone number on it (800)507-2234.

Both of these units are plug and play except for 1 wire which had to be cut, because I chose to hook up the option that allows me to turn on my rear backup camera while I am in DRIVE so that I can check behind me while I am carrying a trailer. This is a very easy install once you get the trim peice off.

I have been asked by several people why I would spend $400+ to get the LockPick & the IPOD inferface. I have several reasons:

1. Ever been in the front seat and your 3yr old is in the backseat unhappy about what is going on with the movie and you have to crawl halfway into the back seat to see the screen to see what the problem is?

2. Ever been stuck in bumper to bumper traffic and you are trying to find a different route with your nav unit, but since you are 'slowly rolling' you are locked out and can't type anything in?

3. Same as #2, but you were trying to scroll over to the XM category that would give you local traffic only to be locked out because you were in a slow roll?

4. Ever been hauling your trailer at 60+ MPH and all of a sudden you felt like something just wasn't right and maybe you are about to lose your trailer?

5. Tired of having to unhook your IPOD from the front audio in cable and hide it because you are afraid someone will break your window($350+) to steal your IPOD($400)?

6. Ever get in your car for a drive only to find out your IPOD is out of juice because you forgot to pause it?

7. No more CD's. The Nav unit with the rear entertainment option, only had one slot for CD's/DVD's, so it meant constantly changing CD's.

So as you can gather with my self justifying reasons listed above, it made sense for me. :shades:
  • seabyrdseabyrd Member Posts: 32
    I agree.. the convenience is well worth the expense. I have a question for you.. I have Gen II lockpick & would love to have the rear camera to work like yours does (we had that in our Hummer and I loved it) do you know if it can be done with the Gen II or the Gen I ? If so how?
    I don't have any optional things installed with the LockPick just have the Nav and DVD working and it's awesome !! Thanks..
  • txyukontxyukon Member Posts: 3
    Any update on the "cricket sounding squeel driver side engine bay?"

I just started noticing the same thing on a 07 Yukon and described it exactly the same way to the dealer (so I assume that we are experiencing the same thing). I had the service manager drive with me, and all he said was, "I can't hear anything."

The cricket noise is extremely annoying, especially since it wasn't there for the first 5 months.

Any updates would be appreciated.
    According to their website...No. They do offer a discount to people that have previously purchased the GenI & II and want to purchase the GMX320. :shades:
    Hi Everyone,

Wasserman, Comden, and Casselmen, LLC (WCC) are investigating complaints with the 2007 Tahoes, Suburbans and Avalanches. Here is a basic run down.

1. Apparently some purchasers of the Navigation system were also charged for the bose audio system when the brochure and chevrolet website indicates that bose audio is included in the navigation package. This primarily affects LT2 and below trim levels.

2. The Tahoe, Suburban and Avalanche delayed locking feature is not functioning as it should. The delayed locking feature should work from the remote keyless entry (RKE) and does not.

3. When ordering the Bose Audio system it should include Digital Signal Processing, Audio Pilot and Surround features. None of the Tahoes, Suburbans or Avalanches with the bose system have these features.

4. The clock on the Navigation Radio Screen is known to disappears from the system display and not be usable at such a time.

5. The side view mirrors on the Tahoe, Suburban and Avalanche vibrate blurring the view in them making them unsafe and unusable.

WCC has files a class action lawsuit in the California Courts on behalf of owners of the 2007 Tahoes, Suburbans and Avalanches.

If you would like more information about this please visit this page http://www.wcclaw.com/CM/ClassActions/ChevyTruck.asp

My personal experience and opinion (from documentation I've gotten from two dealerships) is that Chevrolet is aware of these issues and has not done anything about them in over 1 year of selling the cars.

I believe that some people may not agree that these issues. I respect that opinion and ask that we not create a debate over it, I'm just trying to share some information with everyone.

Thank you,
    G
    Sorry I forgot something on that last post of mine..

On bullet number 1 the information indicating that the bose is included with the nav is in the footnotes of the brochure and website.
  • drwhittledrwhittle Member Posts: 1
    I had a cricket sound too. It turned out to be a loose frame around the sunroof. It still happens, but if I push it to one side or the other it goes away for about a week or so.
  • txyukontxyukon Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the reply drwhittle. I don't have a sunroof and still haven't determined the cause.

I have checked every forum and gleamed a ton of ideas (silicon spray seems to be the most popular) from people with similar noises. I've looked at the titles of the 83 TSBs, but don't have access to read them.

Any one else have some suggestions?

Recap: There is a cricket/squeal that sounds like it's coming from the driver's wheel well area. I can hear it while accelerating at low speeds as well as coasting. It started about 5 months after purchase.

I understand it's virtually impossible to diagnose a problem like that over the internet, but tips on what to try/look for would be appreciated.
  • dardson1dardson1 Member Posts: 696
    Does anyone know what happened GM's great site where you could check inventory/window sticker on any dealer in a region? When I bought my last Tahoe (Oct 05)I knew a dealer's inventory much better than the sales people I encountered. The site still opens but there are no links to dealerships. :(
  • mayhermayher Member Posts: 41
    Try - gmbuypower.com On the bottom left of the screen click on check dealer inventory. This should help
  • murf10murf10 Member Posts: 3
    Did you install the blue tooth phone kit? How does it work? Can you use the GM onstar mike or did you install new mike? Which blue tooth kit did you use?
    Murf10
    I haven't installed the bluetooth phone kit yet. I just got back from vacation and I plan on tackling this over the next couple of weeks. I am probably going to order the TellPhone 5000vi that Coastal mentions on their website, I like the idea of the video bluetooth and I don't really care for the Parrot box sitting on my dash. I have also considered the non-video Motorola bluetooth kit. I keep my Treo 700p in a cradle on my dash, so I can see who is calling when it rings. So it is not critical that the unit be a video bluetooth. I just figure if I can get it for a few more dollars, I might as well.

I keep hearing about a 'new' bluetooth format and I have considered waiting, but I am not sure if it would work with my Treo 700p. Anyone else know more about this and is it worth the wait?

From what I have read in all of the material I have and from their website, you will have to use the mic that comes with the bluetooth kit. I really would have liked to have used the OnStar mic.

I have my Verizon account linked to my OnStar calling now and it works great except when someone calls you, you have no idea who it is...NO CALLER ID. Plus when you get into a phone system and it asks for you to dial 1 there is no way that I know of to do that with the OnStar calling. So the limitations of the OnStar calling are pushing me to get the bluetooth unit installed. :shades:
  • ggreenil7ggreenil7 Member Posts: 4
    I am hearing the cricket sound as well and I just purchased my 2007 Tahoe 3 weeks ago. I took it in and the technician greased the upper ball joints, but it is still there. :mad:
  • tuscotoddtuscotodd Member Posts: 50
    I can't say that the sound I have noticed is this same "cricket" sound. But can you tell me, is this sound constant - or does it show up just every now and then?
  • normynormy Member Posts: 17
    Thanks for sharing that info inview I was considering to do the same...........if you do not mind if I asked........how much will it cost about for Bluetooth?

Thanks,
    normy

I haven't bought it yet, but from the prices I have seen on the internet - no more than $200 for the Motorola, or around $400 for the Tellvid unit. I figure maybe another $75 to install. :shades:
    Would be interesting to know how the tech lubed the upper ball joints since the only thing on the front end that's not sealed is the outer tie rod ends. :confuse:
    Hey Everyone,

Just called about my annual NAV Disc update (https://www.gmnavdisc.com) because I didn't get my update card in the mail. The rep was very nice, told me that I didn't get the card yet because the disks are on back order because the updated disk just came out. So for all of you that are at or approaching your first anniversary may want to get your Nav Disk order in sooner before the back order grows too large. If you just recently got your disk you may want to call them about exchanging if they can.

Also, don't forget to check out this link http://www.wcclaw.com/CM/ClassActions/ChevyTruck.asp for anyone having problems with their NAV Clock, Bose, Delayed Lock, or Vibrating mirrors.

Thanks,
    G
  • chile96chile96 Member Posts: 330
    I'm assuming that we have to buy these updates rather than being automatically being them given to us. So for $200 I might think abit prior to ordering as I didn't have any issues with the disc that came with my truck and it knew all the streets. Is there anything I'm missing?
    Yeah, your first two annual updates are free. I know in my area there are some new businesses and streets that aren't on last years disk.
    We're just back from a 2800 mile road trip and I'm pretty disappointed in this GM Nav System. Since I already had a TomTom nav system for when we use my wife's car or fly somewhere, I thought I'd run both systems to see which was better or more accurate with directions. Well, the TomTom won out by far!!! I purchased my Tahoe in March 2007 (it was assembled in February) and I received a map update from TomTom in December. It was "dueling Nav Systems" on many occasions. As I said, I was disappointed with the GM system, but not just because of the outdated maps. I really like the TomTom display better too. The (GM) "stick roads" and display resolution just looks cheap when you compare them. It sure would be nice if they could come up with a software change to make the display a little better. For this being a $2000-plus option, it could be a lot better than it is when you get just the same for $300-$500 in a portable system!!
    We have a 2002 infiniti with an early version NAV system, and I was pleased with the GM system when compared to what we already have. I like the way it adjusts the travel times with speed. Neither one provides the best directions I guess they have calculations that sometimes calls the longer path the faster one. Preference for right turns over left ones.. that sort of stuff. I've never used a Tom Tom, but I have a friend with one and said he wasn't that impressed. I think it just matters on what your preferences are. At least with a functional Nav it will get you where you are trying to go, and I suppose thats the main point of them.
  • csprickcsprick Member Posts: 21
    I've always felt that the factory installed nav systems were grossly overpriced and not as good as the after market units.

I've used a Lowrance iWay 500 for years and installed it in my '07 Tahoe when I bought it. See photos here. Works great and I'd recommend Lowrance any day. They have been making marine GPS units for years and got into the automobile market about 3 - 4 years ago.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    They have been making marine GPS units for years

Their depth finder tech could come in handy for some of the potholes out there!

Check out the GPS Navigation System discussion too. The Garmin/Magellan/Tom Tom people would be interested to hear about the Lowrance.
  • martin22martin22 Member Posts: 53
    I can also thoroughly recommend the Lowrance iWay 500. We have a windscreen mount in both cars and a mount in our boat. (For a device intended for road navigation, the details shown of all the creeks on the lakes we use are amazing.) I'm also impressed by the way Lowrance make available for free, downloadable software updates including updated POI info.
    Looks very nice! The screen is a little larger than the TomTom which is also nice. I noticed that you had an external antenna. One is available for the TomTom, but I don't need it (placed in the same location as you have your system) and still get strong satellite coverage. There are a few advantages to the factory installed system with it's tie to OnStar/Phone system and larger screen, but they're not worth the high price tag GM is asking for this option, if you ask me. I sure hope the price comes down for database updates after I get the 2 free ones from GM. The other thing that's nice about the portable systems (at least the TomTom) is that I have a docking station at my home computer and can download updated Points of Interest. The POI's in the GM system are just not as current. I guess the point of all this is that if you're considering purchasing one of these vehicles, you might save some money if you opt out of the factory Nav system and go for a portable system.
  • csprickcsprick Member Posts: 21
    The Lowrance 500c also has a USB port so I can hook it to my computer and update the database, OS, etc. Likewise, it has a hard drive (20 gig, as I recall) which lets one install MP3 songs and jpeg photos. I must have over 500 songs in it, with room for a lot more.

By hooking it to the AUX port on the Tahoe radio, I can get voice driving instructions and play songs thru the Bose system. The voice directions override the song and, when complete, the song continues. Sounds great thru the Bose.

People have also programmed different "skins" to change the appearance of the touch screen and button locations.

Unfortunately Lowrance hs stopped making the 500c - replaced by the 650c, I think. They also make smaller units which use SmartCards for storage.

If interested, there is a Forum HERE with lots of information from Lowrance GPS owners.

I'm happy with mine.
  • rjm1234rjm1234 Member Posts: 3
    I have had the same problem for the past year. I can hear a high pitched squeal sound coming from the engine bay. No one was been able to diagnose the problem as of yet. Recently I have noticed that the noise will become quieter when I am driving at slow speeds and turn the steering wheel. I too would appreciate any help in determining what is causing this sound.
  • shawnhackettshawnhackett Member Posts: 16
    My 2007 Tahoe LTZ did the same thing with the cricket noise, but my dealer tried a few things and figured it out.

The noise is in the steering mechanism somewhere. They had to replace the entire mechanism, but it did the trick.

Ask your service manager to call the service manager at Jim Reed Chevrolet Service in Nashville, TN. and explain your issue. Have him mention my name, Shawn Hackett, owner of the 07 Black Tahoe LTZ, and he should remember and can relay the proper fix to your service manager.
This discussion has been closed.