Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Focus: MPG-Real World Numbers

124»

Comments

• kam327kam327 Member Posts: 115
    "My 2012 Focus is currently getting 31.2 mpg..or Averaging 7.2 liters per 100km..not the 54 mpg they claim on the window sticker.."

Well come on now, do you always believe the marketing hype?

You must be in Canada. The Ford website for Canada does say "up to 54 mpg" or something like that. Which is ridiculous. You can average that high if you stay at a constant 50mph speed with no accelerations, etc. But in the U.S. no one advertises such an unrealistic number.

But at any rate, if you had done any additional research you would've seen that your average is right in line with the U.S. EPA combined rating, as well as the hundreds of Focus owners on www.fuelly.com. So feel comforted that you are in the norm.
  • block_edmundsblock_edmunds Member Posts: 1
    The size of the tank is irrelevent. The fact that it's been mentioned a few times and that you thought you needed to drive the car until you ran out of gas makes me wonder if you're calculating correctly. How much gas you use and the miles driven is all one needs to know.

1) Fill it up 100%.
    2) Reset your trip odometer.
    3) Drive until you get down to 1/4 tank ot 1/8th of a tank...or wait until the dummy/warning light comes on...have 1/4 tank (or less) left so you have used over 10 gallons of gas to "wash out" error due to not filling it the same exact amount each time. For example, if you fill it more the next time by 1 gallon, say 11 gallons, that means you only really burned 10gal (because you started 1 gal lower), but you think you burned 11, so you'd be off by 10%. 10% is not a huge error though (compared to the terrible mileage you saw), and it's not likely you'll refill it 1 gallon differently.

4) Put gas in it - fill it back to 100% so you're back to where it started.
    5) Done. Now calculate the MPG.
  • goofball81goofball81 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I just bought a new Ford Focus Ambiente 1.6L six speed automatic, model year 2012. I have done 3500 kms and am faced with an unusual noise. It could be either the engine or the drivetrain, but it is a shrill and just audible. It is the kind of sound one can expect to hear when driving if the radiator cap came loose (thats not the case though), like a metallic vibration. It dies off when accelarating and is absent when idle, but is there when deccelarating or cruising.

I took it to the dealer, but they couldnt identify the problem. Can someone make any helpful suggestions on what could be the problem?
  • scrapple1scrapple1 Member Posts: 1
    I've averaged 35 mpg, measured by dividing miles driven by gallons pumped. The electronic mpg readout overestimates by 2 to 4 mpg. My driving is about 60% hwy, 40% city. The range is between the high 20s for around-the-neighborhood driving and 39 for all-highway.
  • joegiantjoegiant Member Posts: 90
    Just crossed into the 38mpg's(38.3 to be exact) on my lying onboard readout w/90% hwy driving on this commuter. A MT as well. I'm happy.
  • mo614mo614 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for your effort. Your comments and explanations to revss have been logical and accurate. I'm sure most readers have been able to understand and agree with your reasoning. Maybe if revss re-reads the posts and thinks about them some more, he'll get it too. My two cars, now with 80,000 and 90,000 mile odometer readings, go the same miles per gallon as they did during their first 5,000 miles. I bought them new about eight years ago. Neither has had any engine or transmission repairs, but have had regular oil changes and routine maintenance. With our driving styles and routes, each vehicle matches the EPA numbers, city and highway. I use a calculator each time I re-fuel. MPG = trip odometer miles divided by gallons burned between fill-ups. I don't guess by watching fuel gauge needle positions or on-board electronic MPG (estimate) displays.
  • revssrevss Member Posts: 20
    I use a calculator as well and I get 21 MPG in city and 28 highway. However I disagree with both yourself and Kam. Why do you think Hyundai got sued?? It's just a matter of time for Ford.
  • mo614mo614 Member Posts: 4
    Depending on your driving style and route, the percentages of EPA numbers you are achieving may be the same as you'd realize if you were driving other makes and models. The EPA numbers do not exist to tell you what fuel economy you will get, but only how one vehicle will compare to another given the same (tested) driving conditions. In your situation, my guess is you'd not get the EPA average in any car.
    "Why do you think Hyundai got sued?? It's just a matter of time for Ford."

If Ford has maliciously cooked the books like Hyundai did, then yes they should be punished. But there's no evidence of that, and many Focus owners are routinely achieving the EPA ratings in their everyday driving, like me.

Hyundia was punished because they upset the apples to apples comparison that the EPA ratings afford. And that's all they afford. They DO NOT guarantee you performance. Many folks are lucky enough because of their driving habits and routes to actually achieve the EPA ratings, but many do not.

Hyundia tried to give themselves an unfair competitive advantage by making it seem like their apple (in the EPA apples-to-apples comparison scheme) was shinier and more red. Big mistake.
    " and many Focus owners are routinely achieving the EPA ratings in their everyday driving, like me."

Well if you read through this thread and others, there people getting mileage just like me.

Again, time will tell.
    "Well if you read through this thread and others, there people getting mileage just like me. "

Of course there will always be a relatively small number that buck the average for whatever reason. Unusual mechanical failure or whatever.

But the overall average of Focus drivers are hitting the EPA estimates. Just look at fuelly.com. The 424 2012 Focus owners there are reporting an overall average of 31.4 mpg, right on the money with respect to the EPA combined rating of 31mpg.

Whereas the 174 2012 Elantras reported on there are getting ONLY a combined rating of 29.8 mpg, relative to the higher EPA combined rating of 33 mpg.

Focus: 31 EPA combined rating - 31.4 real world average
    Elantra: 33 EPA combined rating - 29.8 real world average

Hopefully it's clear to you now why Hyundai got into trouble and Ford will not.
    "Of course there will always be a relatively small number that buck the average"

The numbers you gave 424 & 174 are a small number out of the total sold.
    Not a good comparison.
    "The numbers you gave 424 & 174 are a small number out of the total sold.
    Not a good comparison."

Ever heard of statistics? That's called a sample. There's no reason to believe the data in fuelly.com does not represenent a fair sample of all Focus owners.
    Yeah I've heard of statistics. What is that sample against 1,000, 100,000, 1,000,000?

You need to know that, otherwise thats a small sample.
    Yeah I've heard of statistics. What is that sample against 1,000, 100,000, 1,000,000? You need to know that, otherwise thats a small sample.

The minimum sample size for a 250,000 population (abt. the number of '12 Focuses sold) and 95% confidence level is 384. So I have 10% more than I need.

Will you stop the petty bickering now and accept the fact that you are in the vast minority of Focus owners getting crappy mileage?
    "Will you stop the petty bickering now and accept the fact that you are in the vast minority of Focus owners getting crappy mileage?"

Only when you curb your fan boyism and realize that there is a real concern for some of us. Maybe you just need to stop replying to these and move on.

That said, I'm interested in what happened to the guy who traded in his Focus for a Corolla.
    Only when you curb your fan boyism and realize that there is a real concern for some of us.

Not fan boysim - rather a search for the truth. And I do realize there is a real concern for some of you. There probably are a few cars out there with some as-yet-undiagnosed mechanical problem affecting fuel economy. But I also realize, unlike you, that based on the hard real world data out there those with fuel economy problems are in the minority.

Maybe you just need to stop replying to these and move on.

Nah, your rash generalizations need a counterpoint for all of the current car shoppers coming on here to research the possibilities. They can read your and my comments and decide for themselves.

That said, I'm interested in what happened to the guy who traded in his Focus for a Corolla.

Well based on fuelly.com data, the Corollas for the past few model years are averaging right around 31mpg, the same as the Focus. So I wouldn't expect any dramatic increase in mileage. And just like the Focus, there are Corollas on there reporting averages in the low 20's. Just depends on driving habits and traffic condtions.
    "Nah, your rash generalizations need a counterpoint for all of the current car shoppers coming on here to research the possibilities. They can read your and my comments and decide for themselves. "

Then I will continue to be that squeaky wheel.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Let's get away from throwing the snarky barbs at each other and stick to discussing the mileage issue please.
  • renegade8renegade8 Member Posts: 2
    OK, long story short. I rented a car to drive from Charlotte, NC to Virginia (4.5 hour drive at an average of 65-70 mph) and got 41 miles to the gallon. That was not based on the car's computer telling me how far I had until empty, but based on the starting mileage, ending mileage before fill up and the tank capacity. I loved the car so much, I went and bought one. One of the best comapct cars I have ever owned.
  • dandydonsatxdandydonsatx Member Posts: 3
    I own a 2012 SE which can run on either unleaded or E85 ethanol. Not long ago, I was commuting between San Antonio and New Braunfels, TX, averaging 33.5 MPG with a combination of open highway and stop and go rush hour traffic. Now that I'm doing more city driving, the average is 28.5 MPG. I haven't broke out the calculator, but I'm getting pretty much what I expect out of a car with just a touch under 5,000 miles on the odometer. I hope this helps.

Don
  • lefty02lefty02 Member Posts: 1
    bought a2013 focus for mileage they claim 38 mpg i cant get better than 33.5 mpg
    You can't get better than 33.5 mpg while driving pure highway miles at no faster than 65 mph? That's pretty much what the EPA highway rating means.
  • just_focusjust_focus Member Posts: 53
    I have 13,000 miles on my 2012 SEL and was getting 31mpg in the winter and 33mpg in the summer. About a month ago I decided to fill it up with E85 and got a whopping 26.5mpg but guess what ever since then on regular unleaded (for 3 tanks now) I am getting 36mpg. I don't know how the computer knows what Octane the fuel is but I think my computer is burning the fuel more efficiently now. These number are both what the computer says and my old fashion math says. I am not sure what happened but I am not changing a thing. As far as people wanting to complain about poor gas mileage my car has never gotten below 30mpg (on regular gas) and I am real happy with it.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "I have 13,000 miles on my 2012 SEL and was getting 31mpg in the winter and 33mpg in the summer. About a month ago I decided to fill it up with E85 and got a whopping 26.5mpg but guess what ever since then on regular unleaded (for 3 tanks now) I am getting 36mpg. I don't know how the computer knows what Octane the fuel is but I think my computer is burning the fuel more efficiently now... "

It is not about the computer; ethanol is less efficient than gasoline, and that is why you get fewer miles to the gallon. It simply stores less energy than straight gas, and the more ethanol you put in the worse mileage you will get.
  • markus5markus5 Member Posts: 102
    The question is still out there. Did running one tank of e-85 have any effect on mileage in the subsequent tanks ?
    Some thoughts : Are these actual mpgs's or read outs from the on board computer? Is the driving patterns similar?. Weather is also a possible variable.
    That said, if this was an older vehicle with dirty injectors which is e-85 capable, I would speculate that, although the e-85 is not as "energy rich", it is by its very nature a very good fuel system cleaner, and may have helped.
    Anyhow any other thoughts on this ?
    Just judging by my experiences with ethanol vs non-ethanol containing gas, I wouldn't expect that one (or even several) tank of E85 would affect future mileage running with a different blend. Anytime I find ethanol free fuel my mileage jumps up, and if i can get to where I've run all the ethanol out of the tank, my mileage is back up to where it ws before we ever had ethanol in the mix.
  • just_focusjust_focus Member Posts: 53
    Well after the 3rd tank of regular unleaded I am back to 33mpg. I can not explain it but my car is not old and has only 14,000 miles on it and I drive about the same places every week. The next time I drive past the E85 station I just might try it again for giggles. Has anyone else tried E85?
  • smokydigsmokydig Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2013
    I just took my 2012 focus on it's first long distance trip for our vacation 1300mi round trip and i averaged a costly 19-22 mpg and used the cruise control set at jus under or at the posted speed limit the entire time I regret taking it i should've taken our family Tahoe as it's way more comfortable than the joke of what they call seats in my focus sadly i know my Tahoe with a vortec V8 would get about the same mpg or better in much more comfort
  • yelowfocus12yelowfocus12 Member Posts: 2
    I was commuting home on a small two lane country road in central CA. The speed limit is 55 as it is composed of lots of hills and blind turns. With the cruise control set at 55 miles per hour I was able to get 41 mpg for a stretch of 35 miles. I must say I was impressed! But then I got on the main freeway and opened it up around 80 and of course the mileage dropped. All in all, its a nice car but I have my worries long term.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    About 2 weeks ago, we finished a 1 week rental of a 2013 Focus hatchback. Put over 1200 miles on it, and it began with about 5200 on the odometer,

We got 36.3 mpg overall. It was a mix of city, interstate, and rural 2-lane roads doing siteseeing from SF to Portland OR. From the tripmeter, it appear we got close to 40mpg at times, running from 60-70 mph on the freeway. It would appear easy to get 38MPG on strictly freeway driving. Overall I was very impressed with the vehicle, from a ride, noise, and handling standpoint. Only major complaint was the armrests. I am fairly short, and the drivers door armrest hand opening was about where my elbow rested. The center armrest was fixed in position, and too far back for use in my driving position.

Other than that, I thought it was an excellent car for its size and price.
  • wingerrrwingerrr Member Posts: 3

Any MPG quotes should be done with a calculation of the miles traveled since the last fill, divided by the gallons added at the present fillup, with at least 150 miles traveled for better accuracy. Relying on the trip computer generally will be overly optimistic, which is likely a feel good measure adopted by all car companies, and isn't required to be accurate by any regulations such as speedometer readings.
    I have an accessory Ultragauge trip computer that is very accurate after calibrating; it matches the true MPG based on trip/gallons very closely. I generally just ignore the factory readout since it's not very accurate.

Couldn't agree more wingerr. I always do the calculation when I fill up and generally use the result as a measure of the health of my vehicle. Any sudden, significant change in mileage gets my attention.