Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Real World MPG 2011 MY and earlier

Comments

• moon_lightmoon_light Member Posts: 1
    I have silver Elantra 2012 preferred package from Ulsan.
    I didn't drive it much, OD is at about 300.
    I drive very conservatively, but not too much that I slow the traffic down. I've seen about ~45 on highway and little bit lower on city.
    My brother who swears he drives VERY conservatively only gets 37 mpg out of the same car.
  • svensmorsvensmor Member Posts: 7
    hi right lane cruiser
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Hi! Yeah, I'm pretty happy in the right lane most of the time. Somehow $4 a gallon gas lessens that feeling of the need to speed.
    edited July 2011
    right lane is a good thing u seem to have a hypermiling frame of mind as do i check out cleanmpg.com u can view my mileage logs on my 2012 elantra mt and see what a max mpg type of driver can really do with this cAR I laugh and laugh when i see these drivers complain about there gas mileage when i average over 40 mpgs every tank with no hwy driving.I use the same user name here as there
    I don't consider myself a hypermiler. They use a lot more tricks to get high mpg than I do. I am in a gas-saving bent of mind though.
  • rudy66rudy66 Member Posts: 26
    Tom
    I'm with you. I went from an Accord (my last 6 cars were Accords) to the Elantra and find that it steers easier and brakes nicer than the Accord, has less road noise, the interior is fine for the three of us, and the new styling is nice. Sites such as Edmunds and Consumer Reports like the Elantra. So I like the car but have been sadly disappointed by the mpg. But it is fun to drive and I'm pleased with my choice. Can't cry over spilled milk especially when the whole carton didn't spill.
    Hope all is well with you,
    Rudy
  • elantra_driverelantra_driver Member Posts: 1
    After braking in my engine a bit, I get decent gas mileage. My lowest average ever was 25mpg and that's driving the engine hard. If I drive the engine moderate, then I get about 28-33mpg. The best I've ever gotten was 39.9mpg on a road trip, (but that's going 55mph. I'm a cruiser.) I've also added a voltage stabilizer, K&N air filter, and a throttle body spacer that may have helped it. Contact me if you're interested in parts. alex.guarderas@gmail.com
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    hi folks,thought i would give a mpg update for my 2012 elantra gls auto which i purchased a little over a week ago.iam still on the dealers free tank of gas.right now with about 90% city driveing and the a/c running full blast i have half a tank of gas left and i got 180 miles on that half tank.trip computer in car says iam getting 26mpg...not bad for the 1st tank so far..iam takeing a road trip tomorow up to orlando from where i live in hallandale fla..(200 miles 1 way)..and i will report on the highway mpg when i return.
  • spock072spock072 Member Posts: 12
    Wow !!!! I cant agree with you more..I have a 2008 Hyundai Elantra....25/33 MPG as advertised and I also bought it because of the alleged mileage......

I have struggled to just get to 31 mpg highway..now look i do drive fast but i also feel like i cant idle in traffic and can't drive locally where i get stuck at multiple red lights...because then i only get 27 or 28 mpg's....very disappointed in the MPG also...

Of course also my radio broke to the poitn where it works..but the digital display on it that tells you what station is on just says "Loading" constantly...so i have to figure out which station I am on based on memorization..( which i am good at thank God).

I brought it to the dealer and wouldnt u know..the warranty for the radio was only 36,000 miles of which i was over already, yet they put on the invoice that the radio is defective..i complained to the headquarters, since they call me every day after i go to the dealer for service and i told them that that was BS...

dont listen to their diatribe about the 10 yr, 100,000 warranty....it is all BS...they look for a reason to say it isnt covered under warranty..and there are little things that are not 10 yr, 100,000....some things are 3 yrs, 36,000 ( liek my radio) , others are 5 yrs, 50,000 miles, etc....

next car will probably be a honda or toyota....done with hyundai....i was very disappointed...
    ...now look i do drive fast but i also feel like i cant idle in traffic and can't drive locally where i get stuck at multiple red lights...because then i only get 27 or 28 mpg's...

So you drive fast, idle in traffic and stop at multiple red lights... and expect to get 33 mpg?? :surprise: The EPA highway rating is just that... what you should be able to get DRIVING ON THE HIGHWAY, at around the speed limit (EPA tests aren't done at high speeds). If you are idling, the mpg then is ZERO. When you are stopped at a red light, the mpg is ZERO. And the mpg suffers when accelerating... as when you are starting up from a red light. Under those conditions, upper 20s isn't bad for a car with an EPA rating like yours.

If you want to see what your car can do on the highway, try this: find a stretch of relatively flat highway a few miles long, one that you can drive on without slowing or stopping. Get on the highway, get up to the speed limit, reset the mpg meter, turn on the cruise control, and drive that several miles at a constant speed. Then turn around and drive in the other direction (evens out effects of hills and headwinds). And see what your fuel economy is. I'll bet it will meet or even beat the EPA highway rating.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    It's amazing how some people think they can "mash" the gas pedal and still get EPA estimated milage. Going 5 or 10 over the speed limit on a highway doesn't hurt MPG as much as rapid acceleration. I try to keep my 05 Sonata, 6 cyl, 4 speed no higher than 2K RPM while accelerating unless merging into traffic. I routinely get within .5 MPG of the EPA city rating (regardless of time of year) on my typical tankful with amost trips under 5 miles.
    hi folks,just returned from a over 400 mile roundtrip between hallandale,fla to orlando and back.i averaged according to the trip computer 43.4 mpg on the highway.not bad for the second tank of gas.
  • kingdomsakingdomsa Member Posts: 14
    I've got an 2010 Elantra Blue with the manual trans and about 15K miles now. With manual calcs of odometer / gallons, I'm averaging just about 36mpg on the highway. That's based on long trips, winter/summer, running with cruise on at posted speed +7%, air on when required, and AC inverter charging PC/GPS/phone. I like it.
  • meepmeepmeepmeep Member Posts: 4
    Just filled the tank for the 1st time. I calculated 30.1/mpg, which matched the car's computer exactly. That was about 2/3 city and 1/3 highway driving. It's already beat my former car - 2000 Nissan Sentra, which generally got 28/34, or so. Happy camper!
  • litesong2litesong2 Member Posts: 44
    My last 4 cars AVERAGED 10 to 15% over the EPA highway estimate. You got to drive easy. Race drivers get 3MPG, ya got to be gentle. & if you shut off & cool your engine 15 times each gas tank filling...... well, there goes lots of MPG, too. On longer drives, I expect to get at least 45MPG. While at a gas station, one lady told me she got 51MPG roundtrip between Portland, Oregon & north of Seattle.

Here's what you lose during a lifetime of driving, if you won't peddle your car slowly. In 600,000 miles of driving at 30 MPG, you'll use 20,000 gallons. If you get 20% less MPG or 24MPG if you are a leadfoot, you'll use gallons or use 5000 gallons more. At $3.50 per gallon, you'll pay $17,500.

Please..... throw $17,500 on the floor right now & I will pick it up & put it in my bank to use for my pleasure. Leadfooters are sinners against themselves AND against their families.
  • kevperro2kevperro2 Member Posts: 13
    I've done comparisons between ethanol blends and pure before WA mandated it's use and I saw little difference unlike the claims that many people make. I'm a chemist by background and while there is less potential energy in the ethanol blends it isn't the whole story. I think if there is a difference it is in the <1% range and difficult to measure in real-world driving because of all the other variables. I base that upon my records of when it's use was mandated in WA. I have records of all my fuel economy before/after and I saw no differences in my averages.

In terms of the new Elantra not hitting the EPA numbers I also have not found that to be true. I'm averaging 35.7 mpg based upon my manual fuel economy records (reported on the fueleconomy.gov site). This is all 10% ethanol as mandated by WA state and there isn't anything special about my driving or circumstances. It is a mix of highway, traffic (Seattle) and A/C use in Aug. I drive reasonably but not like a grandma. My high was 45mpg in I-5 driving from Vancouver, WA --- north of Seattle. My low... around 30 mpg in city/neighborhood driving.

I have the 6-spd automatic transmission.
    hi folks,purchased a 2012 elantra gls auto base model about a month ago.when i first got the car i was averaging about 26 mpg in the city according to the trip computer.now it's gone down to about 21.8 mpg..thought the mpg's was supposed to get better as time goes by.i have around 850 miles on the car so far...
  • sarah2175sarah2175 Member Posts: 76
    Okay, if you are only getting 21 MPG it is not the car, it's the driver.
    well, that mpg is basically doing alot of stop and go city driveing with the a/c going all the time plus i only have 850 miles on the car.
  • thfrazerthfrazer Member Posts: 20
    I've had my 2012 Elantra GLS A/T since June and now have just over 2800 miles on it. My belief is that your mileage will get better with age/time, but that is due to the car training you how to drive it. My best MPG has been 31.6 with about 80% highway driving and 24.1 using the "manual" transmission and keeping it revved up around 3500-4500rpm.

If you treat the accelerator like an egg you don't want to break you will get better MPG - Duh!! However, if you do that while trying to merge onto the freeway you're going to cause an accident while you creep up to highway speed and merge with faster traffic. Some where on the monroney(sp) sticker you'll find two sets of MPG numbers. One set in larger print (29/40) and one in smaller print (24/??). In real life you will probably get closer to the smaller numbers.

I like my Elantra, but not for the gas mileage. I could have done as well with my 11 year old BMW 3 series with an inline 6. The Elantra is lighter with a smaller engine and yet it really isn't competitive in an apples to apples comparison of performance and MPG. If I'd driven my BMW like I drive my Elantra I'd have gotten very similar MPG (+/- 3mpg). As it was I got 24-25mpg driving it like I wanted.

My actual MPG is less than what the trip computer shows. When I got 31.6mpg doing the math the computer showed me with 34.7mpg. On this last tank with mostly city driving running around town I got 26.3mpg versus 27.7 on the computer. I'm always thinking about my driving style and MPG when in the Elantra and I don't like that. I've never had to struggle so hard to get the advertised MPG. In the effort to get the MPG I think it should get I find it's not as much fun to drive the Elantra even though it's got fun written all over it.

FYI - On my car the range display goes to zero when I go below 30 miles to go. I didn't find this in the manual, but the last bar on the gas gauge starts flashing when you are really getting low on gas.
  • drew11mdrew11m Guest Posts: 85
    edited September 2011
    Completely totally agree with the above. Here are some of my stats as tracked with my car care app.

I have the 2011 Elantra Limited. I drove conservatively for the most part

Over 10,500 miles since January 3rd on the car, of 70/30 highway/city driving and I have averaged overall 30.2mpg over those miles. Total gas cost was $1164 at an avergae of $3.36/gallon (0.11 per mile cost broken down)

Best mileage was 36.6 on a full tank straight highway run at 70-75mph.

Worst full tank mileage was 26.9, mostly stop and go urban in winter time, bad traffic.

the advertised mpg is wildly optimistic. 25/34 is more realistic. The trip computer estimates are anywhere from 1-2mpg too high. Dont expect what the computer tells you

MPG is about 1 mpg higher with the middle grade of gas versus the regular.

I like this car a lot, but feel somewhat betrayed by the advertising on the MPG and the fact this car never gets that. Great features though, and I got it before the dealers started gouging people. then again, I bought this in January when it was still fairly brand new.

Don't be expecting high MPG. 33 mpg overall would be VERY good unless you only drive highway.

I got my wife a BMW 328xi. For pure driving enjoyment, I prefer her car much much more. But the Elantra is a good little commuting car with nice features for the price.

If they put a turbo engine in the Elantra, it would be a great little car... (hint hint Hyundai)
    I would like to hear from owners who drive only in city driving. I do fine on highways but very poor (22 mpg) driving only around my home. And please don't suggest that it is my fault as a driver -- I am trying very hard to drive conservatively and achieve the advertised mileage. I got 22-23 mpg with my previous car, an Accord.
    RS
    hi rudy,i have had my 2012 elantra gls base model with auto for about a little over a month now and the best city mpg i get with the a/c going full blast according to the car's trip computer is 23.6 mpg.highway is like you stated much better.i still only have about 850 miles on the car so it's still breaking in.hopefully the milaege will improve as the car breaks in and i put more miles on it..
  • oboewanoboewan Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2011
    Hey everyone! I got my 2011 OboElantra LTD in June and it's almost to the 3k mark now.
    I'm pretty much doing almost all city driving these days and in DC even hwy driving is stop and go. I have a 3.5 mi commute to work, 25-35-45 post mph. I've also added a spare tire (I've already had one unrepairable nail in one of my Hancooks and had to buy a new tire 3 weeks in) I'm getting between 24-28 per fillup and I have actually been able to occasionally see higher readings (after a fuelup or after resetting the MPG meter) in the 30's city and even got to a 40.1 on the hwy a while back. I'm keeping the ECO on and have managed to learn how to keep acceleration in the green so to speak. There is definitely a lot of idling at stop lights/traffic and I was for a while at least putting the car in to park or turning off the engine and coasting downhill in N. I keep reading about how continuing to "shift" back to park in an automatic is bad for the clutch but it really makes no sense to me. Is the gear box so much shabbier than a manual trans that using it wears it out faster? Any comments on that? I "think" that I was getting better MPG by turning off the car at long lights (which seems to be a consensus) but was "worried" about "wear and tear" on thec lutch by shifting to park at long lights. Am I worried about nothing?

Thanks,

Jeff
    FWIW putting the car in park by itself won't save gas. The engine needs to be not running to make a difference.

If you are bent on turning off the engine at lights, maybe you should have gotten a car that does that for you, e.g. a Prius. I hear the new Kia Rio will have an auto-stop option also.
    thfrazer why would you hold the rpms that high this would destroy your gas mileage and overwork the engine.ibelieve its absolutely the driver im hypermileing the hell out of my car with about 2 percent of my driving being high way and my avereage for the life of the car with almost 3000 miles is 41.5 mpg.my best commute was 48.3 with no highway.Dont balme the car i ..Mine is a 2012 mt base model 44 psi in the tires and mobil 1 extended 15000 mile fully synthetic oil and im tearing it up mpg wise
    Yep, it did destroy the gas mileage. It was part of the new car process outlined in the owners manual. I couldn't remember what RPM's it called for so I just wrote a number.

I see you have a M/T which may account for some of your better gas mileage. You make my point though. The car trains you how to drive it. The point is that I could get better gas mileage with any car driving the way the Elantra requires. From my research it appears the Honda Civic gets better MPG with varied drivers. So why buy a Hyundai for better gas mileage?? To a certain degree I do blame the car.

I had no idea the tires required 44psi. That sounds like a lot.

Tom
  • johnvkaravitisjohnvkaravitis Member Posts: 9
    John V. Karavitis I've skimmed some of the posts here, and quite frankly I'm surprised that no one has asked about the algorithm that the trip computer uses to give you the MPG over your distance traveled. I've asked this as a question on the board, but too early to get an answer. Nevertheless, I find that in my 2012 Hyundai Accent (GLS), if I start the trip computer just as I get on the highway, and keep a steady 55 MPH to 60 MPH, I can hit 48+ MPG per my trip computer. However, if I just ignore it and let it go, average over both city and highway driving, I hover around 33 to 35 MPG. The MPG also drops about 0.3 MPG as I wait at a traffic light. I know this thread is about the Elantra, nevertheless, I believe that it would be illustrative to see how the trip computer algorithm takes various factors into account to give you MPG. I am also surprised to have read that Hyundai's cars allegedly give you better MPG as the engine "breaks in". Quite frankly, I find that hard to believe, MPG declines slowly over the life of the car, does it not? Thank you in advance for your thoughts. John V. Karavitis
  • johnvkaravitisjohnvkaravitis Member Posts: 9
    Superb post. It's all about the Benjamins, and "lead footers", as you call them, are indeed throwing money out their windows. The 51 MPG claim is somewhat believable, I've hit 48 MPG driving over long stretches of highway doing 55 MPH to 60 MPH in the middle lane. However, there are two trip computers, the first averages over the distance you've traveled since re-setting the trip computer, the second is an "instantaneous average" MPG, and going downhill on a stretch of highway, THAT trip computer has shown 68 MPG on my 2012 Hyundai Accent GLS.

I would really like to know more about the algorithm that the trip computer uses, I think I'm getting about 33 MPG combined city and highway driving. Also, after a "trip" of a few hundred miles, that is, when I have not bothered to re-set the trip computer at all, my MPG hovers between 33 MPG and 35 MPG. I'm happy, I was looking for a car that got at least 30 MPG, and I have it, but would REALLY prefer to be kissing 40 MPG on a regular basis.

Also, have you heard stories about how Hyundais engines give you better MPG as they are "broken in"? I find that hard to believe. I expect a car's MPG performance to decline gradually and almost imperceptibly over the years, as the engine accumulates more wear and tear. Thoughts are encouraged and appreciated. John V. Karavitis
    I am also surprised to have read that Hyundai's cars allegedly give you better MPG as the engine "breaks in". Quite frankly, I find that hard to believe, MPG declines slowly over the life of the car, does it not?

Believe it. It's true. I know because I've experienced it on the two Hyundais (both Elantras) I purchased as new cars, a total of 13 years of car ownership between the two of them. Also I've read many reports from Hyundai owners, including Elantra owners, testifying that mpg does improve as the engines "break in".

Case in point: I currently own a 2004 Elantra, purchased new in March 2004. Has about 64k miles on it now. EPA rating is 21/29. Over the years I have consistently achieved better than that, but in the past couple of years was having trouble breaking 35 mpg on the highway at 65+ mph. Then I had the 60k mile servicing done, which is extensive--new timing belt, new plugs, new filters etc. After that, the car did 37+ mpg on the highway. So maybe one reason cars' mpg declines as they age is they are not properly maintained. If you want the best possible fuel economy from your Elantra, keep it maintained including regular oil and filter changes, and keep the tire pressure at least to spec (which means visiting the air pump during times when temperature is fluctuating, as it is now--90s last weekend, 40s this weekend!).
  • kagedudekagedude Member Posts: 407
    From my research it appears the Honda Civic gets better MPG with varied drivers. So why buy a Hyundai for better gas mileage?? To a certain degree I do blame the car.

I had no idea the tires required 44psi. That sounds like a lot.

I needed a car last year and was waiting for the then upcoming Elantra. I was excited that it was a compact sedan that will do 40mpg hwy and lots of features. Unfortunately, the timing didn't work out and I ended up buying a leftover 2010 Honda Civic LX-S with rating of 26/36 mpg as the closest to Elantra's billed hwy mpg.

I don't feel so bad now about not waiting for the Elantra. My Civic average is 34mpg, lowest 29mpg and best at 42mpg. Tires are at 32psi too.

Too bad Hyundai can't deliver consistently on the advertised mpg ratings. :cry:
    Too bad Hyundai can't deliver consistently on the advertised mpg ratings.

How do you know it isn't? How many 2011-12 Elantras have been sold to date? Probably close to 200,000. And how many complaints have you seen re poor fuel economy?

Averaging 34 mpg on a 2010 Civic isn't too remarkable. Anyone who isn't slogging through city traffic every day and who doesn't have a lead foot can do that. I average 33-34 mpg on my 2010 Sentra in urban driving, including urban freeways, and it's EPA rated lower than the Civic. Yet for every driver like us there's probably another who has a tough commute or just likes to put pedal to the metal, and doesn't get the EPA rating. Whether it's in an Elantra or a Civic or Sentra or whatever.
    I think the issue is that people like me who have been trying to get the advertised mileage haven't been able to no matter what. That doesn't mean it can't be done, but when I try and fail time and time again I have to question the validity of their claims. Especially when I read that Civic owners are getting the mileage they expected without trying. I would love to average 34mpg in my Elantra. I haven't seen it once let alone as an average! So, yeah, if getting 34mpg "isn't too remarkable" in a Civic I'd say you just made my point for me.

Folks I've had my Elantra for 3200 miles and there are pros and cons to it. In the end when you balance all the pros and cons the one item that tilts the scales against it is the MPG. That is my opinion at this time.

Tom
    I haven't seen it once let alone as an average!

Do you ever drive the car on the highway--no stops, reasonable speed? And you can't hit 34 mpg? That's very strange. I've averaged 33 mpg in the 2011 Elantra driving in 100 degree heat in city traffic and congested highways. And I wasn't trying very hard (it was a rental and I wasn't paying for the gas).

What was your previous car and what kind of FE did you get with it?
    edited October 2011
    "How do you know it isn't? How many 2011-12 Elantras have been sold to date? Probably close to 200,000. And how many complaints have you seen re poor fuel economy?"

Backy, I use Fuelly and I see eighty 2011 Hyundai Elantras (477k miles tracked). The avg mpg is 31mpg which is exactly the same as the seventy Honda Civics tracked.

So if the Elantra used Honda's mpg test methodology, it would prob be rated at 26/36. Honestly, if I see a billed 40mpg hwy car, I would expect to do 46mpg highway with my driving style.

"Averaging 34 mpg on a 2010 Civic isn't too remarkable."

So what would be a car with auto that would be remarkable gas wise (over 34mpg avg), resale value wise, legroom/headroom wise, quiet ride for $16500? Sure its 34mpg average but on good weeks, I hit 38-40mpg on a sedan with 4 people, a baby and a full trunk. My last car was a Honda Fit which averaged 38mpg but never really got over 40mpg so I would say the Civic excels in highway driving and above average in city driving.

I digress, this is about the Elantra not being "remarkable" on their 40mpg hwy rating.
    You have no idea how those Elantras or Civics are being driven. You also don't know what those Elantras are getting as a max on the highway. They could be hitting 40 mpg, or exceeding it. Or not.

Why not rent an Elantra for a few days, drive it like you do your Civic, and see how it does? Then you'd have a direct comparison.

But expecting 46 mpg on the highway, regularly? That's hybrid territory. I suppose if you bought a Prius, you'd expect nearly 60 mpg in the city on a regular basis because the EPA rating is 51. Not likely, unless you're a hypermiler.

Also, the EPA dictates test methodology--not the automaker.
    edited October 2011
    You have no idea how those Elantras or Civics are being driven. You also don't know what those Elantras are getting as a max on the highway. They could be hitting 40 mpg, or exceeding it. Or not.

Fuelly as well as other mileage calculator apps/sites tracks the highs and average mpg and other things. I thought using their stats would be a solid gauge (80 cars for 2011 model) than asking a few owners their best hwy mpg. In the 2011 Elantra's case, I do see a number of
    " best 40mpg highs" but then again, the 2010 Civic also has a number of "best 40mpg highs" and its rated at 36mpg/hwy.

To be fair to the Elantra, my wife's 2010 Mazda 3 with 25/33 rating only got 31mpg when I drove it for a few weeks (I usually drive 80% hwy/20% city). Our previous Subaru was also the same with not being able to meet the EPA hwy rating. Maybe its only Honda that is generous.

Trust me, I've tried to rent an Elantra. Ever tried to rent a specific car only to be given "whats available" when you get to the counter?

But expecting 46 mpg on the highway, regularly?

I was just using the Civic's 36mpg hwy rating that delivers an extra 6mpg for me on a number of occasions (I did not say regularly) as a "best hwy mpg". If the Elantra was the same, its 40mpg hwy rating would be the "constant" and "best hwy mpg" would be 46mpg.

I thought the automaker performs the mpg tests using the EPA guidelines but either way, this is irrelevant. As a consumer who is concerned about fuel costs, all I care about is the EPA sticker on the car and just wished that the hwy mpg rating is actually achievable on a consistent basis for all automakers.

I say Hyundai needs to do better with their ratings. I did shop for a Sonata before too and did not really see a lot of people hitting the 35mpg consistently either unless you buy stick and hypermile. No need to do that with my Civic.
    just wanted to add my thoughts here on the elantra-civic mpg..i test drove a civic before deciding on my 2012 elantra and found that the road noise in the civic was simply to much for my likeing while on the other-hand the elantra was much more quiet.gas mpg between the 2 cars was never really a issue for me in deciding which of the 2 to purchase.ride quality,standard features,perormance,warranty,style,all were contributing factors for me in deciding on the elantra over the civic.
    In my experience, the EPA ratings (even the old ratings) are achievable easily on ANY car as long as the conditions are not extreme and one drives with a bent towards fuel economy. But conditions are often not ideal (e.g. how many people drive short distances, in traffic, lots of stops or slow-moving highway traffic). I am lucky in that I don't have to drive in heavy traffic much, and also I have a light foot on the gas. But when I do need to drive in heavy traffic, short distances, and choose to push the pedal more (like I do sometimes with rental cars out of town), I don't meet or beat the EPA ratings.

It's not rocket science. And it's not a failing of the Elantra or Hyundais in general, in my experience. No problem getting EPA rating on the 2011 Elantra even in tough conditions. No problem exceeding the EPA ratings on the two Elantras I've owned. No problem exceeding the EPA rating on my wife's 2007 Sonata. But SHE has a problem... has a tough time getting over 22 mpg on it. But she drives almost all short distances, lots of stops/idling, and has a lead foot.

"YMMV".
  • klintlwatkinsklintlwatkins Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2011
    I've been driving this car to and from school via Highway. Average speed around 70 mph. I ve yet to get ANYWHERE near 40 mpg. More like 30 mpg. The only time I've gotten 40 was littely on a huge downhill slope. This car is a total sham!!!!! I would give it back if I could!! I was very dependent on the 40 mpg for my budget. DEFINITELY didn't work out. My first and last Hyundai!
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    edited October 2011
    Your average speed of 70 mph far exceeds the parameters of the government test procedures. If you check out http://www.fueleconomy.gov and look at the highway testing procedure, you will find a test cycle that never goes above 60 mph and does that for only half the ten mile cycle, and has an average mph of only about 48 mph for that entire test.

If you were to drop your top speed down to no more than 60 mph, you would likely see a much more favorable number, in my opinion, and the government's, which actually does the economy testing, not Hyundai.
    Amen brother! By the way, has anyone used the replacement gadget for a spare tire?
    If he travels 70 mpg he should at least get close to the advertised gas price. I got 33 on my one trip with the Elantra. We should be glad at least for this.
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    First run to work this morning since I picked up the 2012 GLS last night. Reset the MPG about 1/2 mile from home.

1.5 miles 50 MPH speed limit
    6 miles 40 MPH speed limit
    4 miles 45 MPH speed limit
    8 miles 65 - 55 MPH speed limit expressway
    1 mile city streets then up to 3rd floor in parking garage

I usually don't hit too much traffic, had to slow way down one time on the expressway. I did get it up to 70 when I first got on the expressway for a minute. I drove pretty easy on the throttle today with ECO mode on.

39.3 indicated by the time I parked in the garage. first 19.5 miles until I got off the expressway I was indicating 40.4 MPG. NO A/C this morning. I will not reset until I get home to see what the round trip holds.

I think this is about best case. I think the average would drop down to around 35 if I do a week long test. Startup and initial run up to speed will drop it down some, plus every stop light I have to slow down or stop for will drop it some.

I'm happy with mine so far.
    how many miles do you have on the car thus far?it usually takes about 5000 miles for a brand new car to get the advertised gas mpg.
  • litesong2litesong2 Member Posts: 44
    40 MPG A Lie 2011 Elantra by klintlwatkins:
    I've been driving this car to and from school via Highway. Average speed around 70 mph. I ve yet to get ANYWHERE near 40 mpg. More like 30 mpg. This car is a total sham!!!!! My first and last Hyundai!
    ///////////////
    litesong wrote:
    Leadfooters have lead poisoning in their brain, throwing fuel away while traveling 110 feet per second. They complain their fuel costs are outrageous, & think they can turn the lead in their feet into gold MPG. Leadfooters must be sucking....... leaded gasoline.
    If your average speed is 70 as you said, you are exceeding 70 much of the time. Not a recipe for best fuel economy on any car.

Also, on a "huge downhill slope" you will get much better than 40 mpg, on instantaneous readout. Even on larger, thirstier cars I get 60+ mpg on huge downhill slopes. The trick is to shout "Whoo-hoo!" as you coast down (in gear) enjoying that super-high mpg. :D

If you are depending on 40 mpg for your budget, I recommend you start driving with a focus on fuel economy. Then if your daily commute is highway and not too many stops, and you stick to the speed limit and use a light foot, you should get real close to that 40 mpg. But it's not a "gimme", that will happen no matter how you drive.
    Okay, time to add my two cents here. I've had my 2011 Elantra for 6 months now, I have 5800 miles on it. I live in northern VA, near DC so sometimes I'm in stop and go traffic a lot. Anyway, it really depends on how you drive the car, weather conditions, traffic conditions, etc. No one here is going to get 29/40 every single time. My parents live down in Williamsburg, about 2 1/2 hours from me. When I go visit them, right before I get on the interstate I fill up with gas. I reset my trip odometer (which also automatically resets my MPG on the computer in the car) and off I go. My average speed on the interstate is 70-80MPH and within about 25 minutes or so, I'm averaging 41MPG.

Now, let's say I had just half a tank of gas and at the time just averaged around 26 MPG. Even if I jumped on the interstate and still drove 70-80MPH, I would probably not see 41MPG.

There are so many factors that come into play with this MPG nonsense. Sure, sometimes it's lower then what I want...sometimes, like now, it's much higher (32 MPG, but spent a lot of time on the highway). All I know is that it makes a lot of my friends incredibly jealous when I tell them my average MPG, and the fact that I only fill up once every 8 or 9 days, and when I do...it costs me just $35. I have a fantastic car...if some of you guys want to constantly complain because you aren't getting the EXACT MPG that you were expecting, then fine, so be it. Trade in your Elantra for something else, quit whining, and move on.
    I got a flat tire a couple of months ago, but I didn't use that gadget thingy in the trunk. I've heard that it can permanently damage the tire. So, I had to call AAA and have them tow me...ended up having to get a brand new tire. Grrrr!
    Thanks for the lecture but last time I got 21 mpg, city driving, but, for the whole tank of gas, trying to drive economically. My Accord did better.