Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Real World MPG 2011 MY and earlier

1789101113»

Comments

• fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Actually, you should be around 33 combined, not 35: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=31016

But that number can vary based on a number of factors, including worse mileage in winter due to temps, worse mileage due to ethanol in the gas, driving habits, tire inflation, hilly terrain, worse mileage for the first few minutes after startup (MPG is always worse until the car reaches full operating temp), what each person considers to be "city" and "highway" driving, how fast you drive, and so on.

I'm not trying to say that you shouldn't be disappointed. Just that fuel economy is is complicated. FWIW my wife doesn't get 40 on the highway in her '12 Elantra either; more like about 36. But it's easily attributable to winter gas, ethanol, and her driving 75 or so MPH.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • pbm58pbm58 Member Posts: 16
    I am now at 5000 miles and in some ways fuel economy has declined (not increased as I was told). 20 CITY/32 HWAY (at 62mph) It has been unseasonably warm here all winter, so it is not "frigid" temps. I am using the exact same driving style, under same conditions, as with my 10 yr old Honda, which when I gifted it to relative, was still getting 30/36. Dare I ever use the AC in this car?
    "disappointed" isn't the correct word...
  • pbm58pbm58 Member Posts: 16
    My dealer was also unhelpful (now getting 20 city, 32 hway). However, a different dealer said he'd be willing to talk...I initially received a sympathetic ear from the regional Hyundai folks I called (someone there acknowledged having heard feedback about low mileage) but when an "official" called me back, he was actually snippy and told me to do a mileage check, when I asked him to explain he said the equivalent of "how should know?") However, I note my mileage at every fill-up (I go to the same station/same pump each time).
    I am also going to talk with another car company altogether and see what happens.
  • pbhattpbhatt Member Posts: 4
    I have driven almost 12000 miles in little less than 10 months now. I am getting in the range of 29 to 36 in mixed weather & driving style. I think temperature varies the mileage a lot atleast for Elantra. Here's are my some observation.

1) During initial 1000 break-in miles I was getting 27-29 mpg in 40% city & 60% highway (Was driving 60 miles/day including 5-6 miles of Manhattan's stop & go traffic everyday) --- this was in June-2011 when temperature was between 70-90

2)After break-in period I was able to get 32-35 mpg going at 70 MPH (Same 60 miles commute everyday including Manhattan) This was during July 2011 and 70-90 temperature

3)Once winter started and temperature reached below 50 (varying between 20' F to 50' F), was getting 29-31 MPG in 50%-50% mixed highway/City (This includes 42 miles/day commute with 20 miles of constant highway going at 70 MPH, and 22 miles of Stop & Go from 30-45 MPH

4)Now, as again summer started this time little early and temperature started reaching above 55'F, started getting 32-33 MPG in same manner of driving as just above.

During Winter, while filling up Tank, it shows 320-325 Miles in the meter, while currently (during 55'-70') it shows 340-345 Miles, and once it will go above 75 'F (It will show around 355 Miles) and getting maximum Mileage of upto 35MPG in 50%-50% mixed driving

Have tried ECO mode too, but couldnt found any difference.

Once, I tried a full trip of 270 miles (135 miles each way which includes driving constantly at 75 to 80 MPH for 115 Miles & stop & go for other 20 miles) during winter (Temperature was 25' F) --- and got 31 MPG for 270 miles trip (Mileage was noted manually after filling up the tank before staring of the trip & after again after filling at 270 miles)

2nd time, same mentioned trip recently , but between 65-70 'F temperature, and got 34 MPG which is pretty good while driving at 75-80 MPH.

Haven't tried purely in the City, but shouldn't be able to get more than 26-28 MPG if driving 80% City and 20% highway.

Dont know what is happening with some folks here saying getting around 20-25 MPG!!!
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    As they should have. The "revised" EPA figures are very achieveable (hundreds of drivers bear this out on numerous websites). I agree the original EPA numbers would be tough to hit, but those "old" EPA figures were tough to hit in most cars.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    I agree that a lot of people complain for no good reason. However, this has nothing to do with just achieving EPA numbers like you're talking about...old or new. Hell, most people if they tried didn't have that much trouble achieving the "old" EPA numbers either. This lawsuit was about Honda, a couple of years in, reprogramming the car so the battery would last past the warranty period which in turn reduced the MPG drastically. So they screwed their customer's MPG to keep from having to replace expensive batterys. The reprogramming changed the car from what they had purchased. I believe most people were getting the expected MPG on these Civic Hybrids before Honda did the reprogramming so it's not just a matter of a few people not getting the exact EPA numbers.

Say a manufacturer found out your tranny would blow during warranty and they would end up replacing trannies left and right. So they do a recall and change the gears in the tranny to make it last longer so they don't suffer a huge monetary loss. But by doing this it cut your MPG from 30 to 20. Would you be a happy camper? Would you want to sue because your nice car that was getting 30mpg now only gets 20mpg because your carmaker messed with your tranny to save themselves money?

I think this superior court judgement has a good chance of being overruled.
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    If what you say is true, Honda modified the vehicles with the full knowledge that said modifications made it impossible (or very unlikely) to achieve EPA fuel mileage estimates, then it's a clear case in the owner's favor.

The owners would need to prove that Honda modified their vehicles and did so knowing the result(s) would include inferior mileage. That is a bit tougher, especially when data is available for 2006 Civic Hybrids that meet EPA and owner's requirements (averaging over 40mpg). The court would have to assume at least some of the vehicle data was collected from modified vehicles unless verifiable, empirical data to the contrary was presented.

There again, things in the courtroom generally favor whomever can afford the best counsel. There's no doubt about the favorite in that case!
  • debbishaw1debbishaw1 Member Posts: 6
    your experience mirrors mine, what to do?
  • camaroman2012camaroman2012 Member Posts: 6
    I own the 2011 Hyundai Elantra limited. From day one, I noticed that the fuel mileage was no where near the stated MPGs. I informed the dealership on several occasions and they kept telling me that once it broke in, that I would get better MPGs. Well, I have put around 16k miles on the car and the mileage keeps getting worse. My average city/highway MPGs is 25MPG. Today I ended up filling up the vehicle and the MPG was 23MPG? 23??????? WOW Really? I use the AC on low everywhere I go, but does that mean I lose 11 MPG just for using the A/C? Come on. This is not the first car I have owned, but it is the only car I have ever owned that has gotten this bad of fuel mileage (compared to the stated city/highway MPG). I had an older Pontiac Bonneville with the 3.8Liter and was getting 28-30 highway. Around 26 city. I also have a 2001 Ford Escape that when new was getting 28-30MPG highway and around 26 combined with city driving. Both are better than this Elantra. I contacted the service department and they stated that if there is not check engine light on, then nothing is wrong with the car. After checking the MPG today, I called the service department and informed them that something is definitely wrong with this vehicle and that they need to take a look at it. I asked if 11MPG off from the stated combined was normal and he admitted that it was not. So, I have an appointment scheduled for tomorrow. I informed them that the car needs to be fixed, or something else needs to happen like getting me into a different car. It sucks, as I really like the car and it's setup how I wanted, but the Mileage is killing me.
  • roadscholar3roadscholar3 Member Posts: 23
    edited June 2012
    You're obviously not alone with this experience. As I've said before, I see some serious litigation over this issue in Hyundai's future. I get the feeling that the government is looking the other way, perhaps in order to establish a trade deal with S. Korea who is moving some auto manufacturing plants to the U.S. Or maybe they're in cahoots with the oil companies, as a stealth way to keep demand/prices for oil high while selling it as a fuel saver. Who knows what wheeling and dealing goes on, but if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck ...you've probably been *ucked. The advertising about fuel savings is pure hype and a downright lie.

I'm in agreement with you that other than this poor mileage issue, the car is a good value for the money. That said, the fuel savings was the BIG seller for me as I have a long highway commute. You'd think highway miles, with few inner city miles, would be the perfect scenario for the promises of a fuel efficient car like this. What a disappointment. I'm lucky to hit 31mpg on the highway. I too have never experienced so much discrepancy between the stated city/highway sticker rating and the reality on the road.

This I know for certain - this is my first and last Hyundai car. They've lost my trust.
  • ftl_techftl_tech Member Posts: 2
    We bought and 2012 Hyundai Accent se hoping to get good gas mileage. We are averaging about 30 mpg on the highway and 27 mpg in the city. IT'S suppose to get 29-40. We also have a 2010 Hyundai Elantra Blue. I'm averaging about 32-34 mpg overall. I don't drive like grandpa. What's up with that.
  • ftl_techftl_tech Member Posts: 2
    This is my second Hyundai. My first one was an 2005 Sonata and the second is a 2010 Elantra Blue. I have found on average the manual transaxle get the best fuel mileage. on my 2005 Sonata I was getting 30mpg. The epa said it was getting 23-26. My cousin had the same car just an automatic and he was getting 24mpg. My Elantra Blue is a manual and i'm averaging 32mpg. If I drive like grandpa I get up to 36mpg with the a/c on max. Sometimes its how you specs a car. Generally most of the cars ar not made in the usa, they are just assembled here. Between me and my wife we have had 5 hyundai's.
  • g2iowag2iowa Member Posts: 123
    While it is interesting to share the info about the Pontiac and Ford, why not share more relevant info about how you are currently driving your Elantra? When you filled up that day and got 23 mpg, how many miles had you driven and how many gals of fuel did you pump?

You say you use the A/C. But...

- Are you using ethanol?
    - How much stop-and-go traffic are you doing?
    - How long are your average trips one way?
    - How fast are you driving on interstate?
    - Are you carrying passengers?
    - How many miles does your Elantra have?
    - What are some specific results for actual tanks of gas you recently pumped? How many miles did you drive and how many gals of fuel used? What is your average MPH for a tank?
    - Are you the only person driving it?

I do hope you've taken care of all the little things like proper tire inflation, etc.

With a name like "camaroman", how come I don't have any difficulty seeing you driving your Elantra really hard and fast? Not the sort of name that screams economy-minded driving.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Read an interesting article about automakers and their quest to trim weight out of cars and how difficult it is... Car Obesity

The one sentence that caught my eye and reflects back on drivers and car contents is this "The industry’s general rule of thumb is that 100 pounds equals a mile a gallon."

I think a lot of people forget or deny how much passengers and the contents they haul in their cars can adversely affect their mileage! :surprise:
    Good article. Reminds me of the cars from the 80s and early 90s that routinely got 40-50MPG. They were all lightweights. My father drove a Renault Alliance 2-door 4-speed MT and routinely got 50MPG at 50MPH out of it. When he gave it to me I drove it like the teenager I was and still got 40MPG. And today's Sonic, Yaris, etc. still don't come close to matching the Geo Metro.

But those old cars weighed little more than a bag of bagels. Thin sheet metal, probably disastrous crash results, etc. And a distinct lack of features compares to today's cars. Features that add weight like airbags, power windows, sunroofs, and so on.

It's literally food for thought for the overweight among us that if we lost, say, 50 pounds we could get an extra 1/2 mpg benefit. So when people diss a car's economy, among the ethanol & driving factors we can counter with "your Taco Bell habit". ;)
  • hyundaidamehyundaidame Member Posts: 10
    I agree with all of you who have poor gas mileage with the Elantra. Hyundai's response has been that of total indifference. My local TV station (Maine) is doing a segment on this and how people are getting ripped off with no recourse for this false advertising. If some cars are getting the mileage and some aren't, it is not necessarily the driver's fault. Hyundai would be better served trying to find the part that is causing this discrepncy. I am pursuing lemon law arbitration for this.This is false advertising. When you buy a car or other product there is an implied warranty that the car will do what it is supposed to do, this is not right. Call your attorney general. Also, see Graham Jefferson from USA today's article on his bad experience with this car. Conumer Watchdog also has written to Hyundai about the problem. Never again will I buy a Hyundai.
  • roadscholar3roadscholar3 Member Posts: 23
    Can you make it easier to followup on these stories by providing links to the station in Maine's coverage and to the USA Today article? Much appreciated!
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Here's links to two stories related to Jefferson Graham's (note, NOT Graham Jefferson) report on the Elantra, and Hyundai's follow up to it:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2011/09/hyundai-elantras-ga- s-mileage-disappoints-this-tech-writer/1#.T9Uhkzfd6So

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2011/12/hyundai-fires-back-- defending-elantras-gas-mileage/1#.T9Uhqjfd6So

And also, USA Today's comparo of 5 sedans that are rated over 35 mpg and cost under $20k. The Elantra was 2nd overall in fuel economy, with 34.5 mpg (more than the EPA combined figure) and was first overall in the comparo:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2011/06/best-5-seat-sedan-u- nder-20000-and-over-35-mpg/1#.T9UgqTfd6Sp
  • giovanigiovani Member Posts: 1
    Your driving too fast to get the mpg it says it will get mpg is rated at 55 mph roughly fill the tires to 41 psi switch to synthetic oil use cruise control you will get the 40 mpg at 55/60 mph I have an 08 elantra getting 38mpg @ 60mph I use nothing but amsoil oils and top quality fuels the dealer is useless they don't much about the technical parts of mechanics thats why not many people can truthfully answer real world mpg questions try to use fuel treatments 3-4000 miles keep the air filter clean the engine is an air pump the more freely the air moves the more efficient the engine will be
    My problem is the car is not getting the gas mileage or anywhere near what I bought it to do. The problem is NOT my driving with the heat/air conditioner on/poor inflated tires, wrong oil, wrong gas, wrong gas station/driving too fast/driving too slow/driving in rain/driving in snow/having the radio on, cd playing, windows rolled down or talking to my kids in the car. The car has a defect. The 08 Elantra is a completely different vehicle aerodynamically. Hyundai owes it to its customers to find out WHY some of these cars are not functioning and some are. I am getting 40 percent less gas mileage than expected. I could drive 15 mph on cruise control and maybe hit 27 mpg. Thanks
    Thanks. will do. I think some people are getting the mileage but clearly a good percentage of people aren't. Hyundai should look at the reason why instead of trying to blame the drivers. There may be a part that is manufactured differently in some of these cars. 40% less is a lot of gas mileage not be getting. shame on Hyundai. If i went to a grocery store and bought a gallon of milk and when I got home it was only a half gallon, the store would take it back. that is good customer service. there is an implied warranty when you buy a product (gallon of milk/or a 23,000 car) that it will do/be what you bought it to do/be. I am spreading the word that Hyundai does not stand by their product. My daughters each of a hyundai (which are fine cars) but they will never buy another one again.Saab had awful customer service and look what happened to them.
    You know, one quick way to tell if your car has a defect and get supporting evidence is to rent an Elantra for a day or two (Enterprise has them, and maybe other rental companies). Be sure the tank is topped off and drive it the way you normally do and see what the FE is (both computer and at-the-pump measurements). Then drive your car for the same length of time and on the same routes, and compare. And be sure to document everything. If you see a big difference in FE, take that info to Hyundai. If you do NOT see a big difference... that greatly reduces (but doesn't eliminate) the odds of a defect with your car.

There's some other things you can do, also, e.g. take a run of at least 10 miles (longer is better) on a level highway at a steady 65 mph, resetting the FE meter when you hit 65 mph. Best to do the run in both directions to negate wind and hills effects. Be sure the tire pressure is at spec. Based on published tests, you should be able to get 40 mpg or very close to it under those conditions. If you get considerably below 40 mpg on that test, take those results to Hyundai.
    Thank you for the suggestions. My dealership test drove it and got poor mileage too, but Hyundai refuses to do anything about it. The district manager came up and just shrugged, saying the engine checks out fine. Its false advertising. :(
    Any new news with the dealer? --I am headed toward arbitration over the mileage.so frustarting; I had an independent garage drive it for three days--they got 18.3 mpg, I guess I am driving it conseratively getting 22 mpg.. sigh.
  • sandiegolindasandiegolinda Member Posts: 2
    My frustration is a mirror image of yours. When I saw the new 2011 Elantra advertised online I thought it was beautiful! Then, I saw the 29/40 MPG and had to see this car. I drove the car and loved it! Perfect fit. Turned on a dime. Beautiful styling, roomy interior and I loved it! The first few tanks were a dissappointment. After speaking with a few dealerships, they ALL assured me that the mileage would improve after 7,500 miles which is the “break in” period. REALLY? Then, I called Hyundai Corporate offices and talked with a customer service rep. He had no idea of the “problem.” REALLY? I have averaged 24 MPG since I bought the car...a little less for the first few tanks. AND, I can only drive 250 miles on a tank!!! Yuck! Seems like I’m always stopping to buy gas. So, how does a major car manufacturer get away with advertising ”70%” lower MPG. The average should be about 34 MPG if you drive 50% city and 50% freeway. I don’t care what the EPA comes up with in their tests. The car manufacturer needs to do their own tests and not rely on the government test results. How can we be compensated for this great deception?
    I just brought this case to lemon Law but Hyundai says mileage is not covered under their warranty. Some states (CA for one) is going the class action lawsuit route. Check out Consumer Watchdog's site. I live in Maine but bought my car in MA so I am going to be asking around for a MA attorney who might take it on. We got totally ripped off with no recourse. No other major manufacturer could get away with such deception. If you have facebook, post your comments on Hyundai's facebook page. Tell everyone you know. They are so condescending and their customer service lies to everyone.
  • 43mpg43mpg Member Posts: 1
    I just returned from a 5000 mile trip (mostly highway) that went from Austin, Tx to Maine and returned. 2 people plus luggage and camping gear. From Austin to Niagara Falls I was getting 42-44 mpg driving 60-70 with AC on, with tires at 30-32 using regular gas in my 2011 Elantra GLS with 16" tires ( the tires still look new). I never use cruise control. I now have 20,000 miles on the car. When I pull 2 kayaks and a small trailer I get around 34 mpg. If you are not getting at least 35, there is either something wrong with the engine or you have a heavy foot.
  • shellreneeshellrenee Member Posts: 1
    I agree I own a 2011 Elantra and in city limits with a speed limit of 30-35 I usually range about 25-28 mpg.... now on the highway at a speed limit of 65-70 I've gotten up to 47.6 mpg. So i take the good with the bad and it is what it is. BUT I also have the rattle that most talk about on this forum, I just havent made it into the shop yet.
  • bkoopersbkoopers Member Posts: 3
    I have driven my 2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS for 11,100 miles over 18 months and the car has consistently averaged 21 to 22 mpg on each full tank of gas. I drive 10 miles a day round trip to and from work in stop and go traffic and a few times a month, I travel about an hour each way on a parkway to and from a major city. I had the car serviced at my Hyundai dealership yesterday and complained that I have been averaging only about 22 mpg but the car is rated at 29 to 40 mpg. I was told that they checked the car and it is functioning normally. I asked does that mean that 22 mpg is normal and I was told yes. I then asked does that mean the car should be rated at 22 mpg and not 29 to 40 mpg and I was told yes.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Your problem is your short commute and stop & go traffic. The car is just getting warmed up when you are at your destination. If your stop & go traffic is extreme recognise that you are constantly accelerating with little cruising. Your occassional hour drive on a parkway will not make a big difference in a tank of gas which otherwise consists of your daily short haul stop & go.
    edited October 2012
    Is not the definition of the "city" rating "stop & go traffic" (i.e., traffic lights and stop signs)? The City rating is 29 mpg and I get only 22 mpg.

My previous car was a 2007 Nissan Sentra 2.0S. It was rated at 25 to 33 mpg. With the same driving patterns as with 2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS, at 11,000 miles, I was averaging 25 mpg. I guess that means that Nissan's mpg ratings are accurate and Hyundai's are inflated. I wish I would have known that before I bought the car.
    Yes, but when an engine is cold - really until it reaches full normal operating temperature - the ECU runs a richer fuel-air mixture. More fuel is burned to keep the engine running smoothly, avoid knocks/pings, and bring the engine up to temp quickly. With your short commute the engine is not reaching full operating temp so the ECU never switches over to the leaner fuel-air mix.

It's entirely possibly that Hyundai's and Nissan's engineers have different programming standards and different ways of handling their particular engine's characteristics.

I'm not making excuses for Hyundai, nor do I think Nissan's tech is necessarily better. Just trying to explain the problem with a short commute and that different manufacturers will have different approaches to engine management.

When you have some extra time, try running the car until the temp is full normal, and then some for a few minutes to make sure. Then reset the trip computer and see what mileage you attain.
  • teddyballgameteddyballgame Member Posts: 1
    2013 Elantra GLS, auto. After 5K miles and reading allot of posts about this car's MPG I think something is clear: your city mpg will vary between 22 to 24, while your highway will be around 34 to 35 (mile marker to mile marker, once at speed on a flat road) Combined = 27. Hyundai's claimed MPG estimate 15% overstated in city driving and 10% overstated on the highway measured by the ACTUAL FUEL USED / MILES DRIVEN. My 2007 Sonata gave me 17 city and 32 highway and a combined 23. My dealer confirmed this.

Hyundai gears its trannys to give high mpg's on the highway, but at the sacrifice of really bad mpg's in acceleration and in stop and go city driving. And those really bad city mpg's rapidly decrease a much larger number of highway mile mpgs. THE REDUCTION IN COMBINED MILEAGE HAPPENS FAST!

It's a game.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Just so it's clear. Every car for sale in the U.S. goes through the same exact EPA tests for both city and hwy. They are accelerated the same, braked the same, driven the same speeds, go through the same amount of simulated stop lights, etc etc etc. It's not the manufacturer's test...it's the EPA's test. The manufactures have to test them in strict accordance to the EPA criteria and the EPA randomly does there own tests to verify the manufactures. So the claims are the manufacturers but they are derived from the EPA test and not some arbitrary manufactures test. The EPA test is not just heavy, stop and go urban traffic simulation. It's a combination of urban, suburban, light blvd etc to simulate "city" driving in Des Moines as well as New York. They are both city driving but can substantially different mpg results. So they try to reach a compromise to give you an idea of what kind of a range you might expect. You have to apply your conditions and decide if you are probably at the bottom or top of the range for your expectations.

That said, it would be almost impossible for the average consumer to exactly match all the driving conditions that the test is made up of. If you actually read the EPA sticker it will give a range for city and a range for hwy with a number somewhere in between each boldly printed. I don't know what the exact numbers are on the Elantra but it is probably something like 22-32 for city and 34-42 for hwy. What that means is that if you drive only a few miles each way to work through a lot of urban stop and go traffic, your mpg will probably be at the very lowest end of the city range which would be around 22 or 23. That kind of driving is about the worse you can get.

It's been stated often that the Elantra doesn't have a lot of torque or grunt off the line. If someone was used to a certain amount of speed when taking off with their old car they may just push the gas pedal a little harder in the Elantra to get that same feeling of grunt or speed off the line. That will affect MPG greatly and possibly explain why another car may have performed as well as the Elantra even though it's mpg ratings were lower as estimated by the EPA.
    The car is a rip off. Hyundai has totally mis lead its customers. They need to stop blaming the drivers.
  • matthewg4matthewg4 Member Posts: 4
    I just purchased my Elantra last week, and averaged 31.9 mpg. Please note that the majority of my driving is hwy - 60-65mph and I do use the cruise control, as well as have it in ECO-mode. I've read alot of the posts and reflect back when I purchased my '06 Civic, which at the time EPA MPG 30-City and 40-Hwy, and I too was disappointed in the beginning when I wasn't achieving that mileage that had been posted on the window sticker. Several factors played into: 1. City driving - living in San Francisco, with it's many hills and numerous signal lights, I was achieving 23 mpg. 2. The break-in period for the car's engine. One has to take that factor into consideration. Once my car had acquired close to/over 10k miles, I noticed the mpg improved. I sold it to a friend of mine earlier this year and he liked the fact that I was getting mid-30's city/hwy combined driving, and achieved as high as 47.8 mpg straight hwy - driving from Sacramento to San Francisco, Bay Area - not bad for it not being a hybrid or diesel. Lastly, if you keep your car cleaned (washed regularly and waxed a couple of times a year), as a smooth finish allows the air to flow smoothly over the vehicle, thus reducing drag, keep your oil changed on a regular basis, clean air filters and proper tire inflation, will all contribute to improvement to your mpg. Heck, I got 31.9 my first week, and its only got a little over 200 miles on the OD, I'm anticipating continued improvements in my mpg as my car ages. I'm quite please with Elantra; quite the car for the small price - nice standard features that aren't usually found in this class of car. :shades: Best of luck to everyone!
    Hyundai has totally mis lead its customers.

Funny you should say that...

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/epa-finds-hyundai-kia-overstated-gas-mileage-08032- 1368--finance.html
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    congrats on yer new Hyundai Elantra! Sounds like you done well. Nice car!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

Hyundai conceeded that they lie! all of you who claim to be getting the gas mileage, please send your 50.00 gas cards to those who aren't...

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-mo-autos-kia-hyundai-epa-reimburseme- nt-20121102,0,6589051.story
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter would like to speak to Hyundai and Kia owners who agree or disagree with the latest controversy over MPG. If you own a Hyundai or a Kia and would like to speak to a reporter about your experience with your car's fuel economy, please send your daytime and evening contact info to pr@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, November 6, 2012 at 8 a.m. PT/11 a.m. ET.
  • stacy25stacy25 Member Posts: 1
    I sold my 2010 Elantra Touring to the dealer and purchased a 2013 Elantra GT and I feel so cheated! My 2010 was such a lemon but was not told by service how to turn it in as such. Then it broke down on me after the 60,000 mile warranty went off and all I could do is get rid of it. I wanted the 60,000 mile warranty so went back to Hyundai. BIG MISTAKE!!!! The MPG is such a joke! Because I had a 2010 and moving into a 2013 driving the same route same type of car they can't blame it on the driver!!!! The average combined driving 90-95% is freeway (I drive 90 miles rt to work/school 3 times a week) the 2010 Elantra was averaging 27MPG when I did all freeway 30MPG only a few times in 62,000 miles. My 2013 Elantra GT is getting 29-31 and all freeway the couple of times I did it is only 32. I would have thought it would be over 35MPG on a regular basis but never have been over 33 which was briefly.

where do we go for help their reimbursement for me is only $43 dollars what a joke that is about what I lose every month I drive the car and since I bought the 10 year warranty I didn't plan to sell anytime soon.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    stacy: what was wrong with your 2010 model ET? I have mine in for a new transmission as we speak. Otherwise, I think it is an impressive car. I have 42,000 miles on mine.
    The New York Times - Automobiles
    Wheels - The Nuts and Bolts of Whatever Moves You
    November 7, 2012, 10:56 am

Hyundai’s Fuel Economy Admission Leaves Some Car Owners Cold
    By CHERYL JENSEN

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/07/hyundais-fuel-economy-admission-leave- s-some-car-owners-cold
  • jlm53jlm53 Member Posts: 2
    I will get $66 back on 16,500 miles.driven on my 2011 Elantra that I leased. That is about 1.5 tanks of gas. I like the car, but feel I was misled, I probably would not have leased the car if the true mileage was advertised. When driving a combo of city and highway driving, I seldom average more than 26 mpg. Based on manufacturer's claims, I would have expected 32 mpg on average. For those driving more highway miles, they probably do better. On a trip to the eastern shore, I got 39 mpg. However, when averaging all miles driven, the car calculates efficiency at about 24.5 miles per gallon. How did they come up with the number of miles for calculating the refund? Does anyone know?
    edited November 2012
    I think basically because they only had to lower their mileage estimates by 2 mpg (rather than 15), they only have to pay people the difference in 12 miles per tank of gas (roughly a 12 gallon tank). Its more cover up from them. I hope every state takes them to court in class action lawsuits. I want my money back. I never ever would have even looked at this car with the lousy mileage I get.
    I just activated my gas card. I had to laugh that Hyundai calls it a reward card. Reward for what?? I got a whopping 104.00 for 26000 miles of poor gas mileage. Every time I use this debit card I am telling the people at the register exactly why I got it. Hyundai mislead their customers and got away with it. I will tell everyone not to buy a Hyundai. There are a lot of reward (??) cards given out and a lot of people we could tell. spread the word! My mileage peaked at 24.4 mpg today. Hooray
  • apoe5467apoe5467 Member Posts: 3
    I agree the reward is a joke. I have received about $60 for 16000 mile of bad gas mileage. Hyundai either lied or was just wrong. I have went through the whole process. I waited to get more miles so the car would get broke in, I had the checked several times, I had it aligned, I tried more air in my tires and everything else they have told me to do. The gas mileage is not what they claim. I get at the most 30 on a trip and about 26 combination and that's the best. I won't own another Hyundai.