Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe Real World MPG

14567810»

Comments

• dvancleavedvancleave Member Posts: 12
    I wish you the best of luck in pin-pointing the problem. I had a 2002 Santa Fe AWD with a 2.7L v6 that did really well on gas mileage. I traded it for a 2006 Santa Fe AWD with a 3.5L v6 and it was TERRIBLE. My 2002 got 27 MPG on the highway with A/C on low and cruise set to 70 MPH int he summer. My 2006 NEVER got more than 20 MPG along the same drive and conditions. They just laughed and told me that it was normal for that powertrain. But the sticker on the 2006 said it should have gotten better. I loved that SUV too but finally sold it last Spring with only 25k miles on it because of the lousy gas mileage.

I'm still a big fan of Hyundai. My 2002 Santa Fe did great! And my 2005 Elantra consistently gives me 30 MPG in mixed driving with 140k miles on it.

You might ask them to check the oxygen sensors. Those don't always send a code when they are acting up. And they can definitely affect you gas mileage. There are a lot of electronics on the engines these days.
  • somedai1somedai1 Member Posts: 416
    I agree... BUT- you would have to stay with the oem tires - any other tire will have a different rotation per mile and may change the mpg for better or for worse... and this is definitely more significant if you change from the oem tire size - there are options that will fit that are not the oem size...
  • funnyfarm3255funnyfarm3255 Member Posts: 1
    My 2007 SF AWD V6 (3.3 I think) is getting similar terrible gas mileage averaging 15 in town & maybe 18 hwy. We are incredibly disappointed. I love my SF except for this. Is there anything that can be done?
  • gracehgraceh Member Posts: 8
    Well....we believe we were "duped" by the dealer. The sticker on the car was extremely misleaading! A Honda Civic is the only solution. We've been working with multiple dealers for almost a year with little or no improvement. We're getting 19-20 HWY, which is better than the 15 we were getting. But, gas prices are rising....we checked out the Chevy Equinox and actually spoke with drivers...all are very happy and very very pleased with gas mileage over 25 HWY and close to 20 in town.
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    How do you figure you were duped by the dealer? The federal government is the one that estimates fuel economy. I would say you were duped all right. By the Government. Actually I think the admin we have now has been duping us since day one.
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
  • bokonon3bokonon3 Member Posts: 20
    Easy with the political jibes, mtnman. People come here to get away from that stuff.

I have a 2007 Santa Fe. My wife have a different driving style than mine, and regularly gets around 17-22 mpg. I drive with a much lighter foot, and let the transmission row through the gears more gradually, and average several miles per gallon. I find the car accelerates just fine ... but you don't want to floor the accelerator, or kick down gears. Aggressive driving in the mountains or in commuter traffic makes the mileage drop off for exactly that reason.

I also use midgrade gasoline, which seems to improve both the Santa Fe's performance and mileage, and keep the tires inflated to the recommended pressure. I also swapped out the OEM tires for something different. All of these things make small improvements.

All time best mileage I've managed in my Santa Fe is 27 mpg - which I managed for a 200 mile trip on the interstate, driving mostly downhill, with a tailwind.
  • ncsu602ncsu602 Member Posts: 5
    2008 Limited FWD, 40k miles. Right now it has fresh Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 with a Hyundai filter. I also have a K&N drop in air filter that is cleaned regularly and never over-oiled. My wife drives 70% city and averages 20.5 based on the computer. I've always been too scared to check by calculation. I just put Nitto NT850 Premiums on it in the stock size and they are great tires, mpgs stayed the exact same. I've noticed that it'll drop down to 19-19.5 about every 6 months. I read somewhere to pull the negative battery cable and reset the computer, since it learns your driving habits. I did this a month ago with the oil change and it's back up to 20.5 or so. She works out of her car and carries 200+ lbs of therapy toys all the time with the 3rd row seats down. The therapy stuff comes out for trips.

We've got as high as 27 on the highway, but the mileage falls off considerably above 75mph. 25-27mpg at 70-75mph, 80+ is 22-23.

On the plus side (knock on wood), it's never been back to the dealership for anything. I change my own oil, so no issues so far.
  • gapeach537gapeach537 Member Posts: 1
    Hi graceh...just wanted to ask you, are you getting your mpg average directly from your car or are you averaging it yourself the old fashioned way with a pen and paper at the gas pump? Just asking because I just bought a 2011 SF & my car computer is telling me that i'm getting 24.3 mpg average, but when I fill up at the pump and do the math myself...i'm really only getting about 16 mpg.
  • rppautorppauto Member Posts: 28
    car's mpg calculator is not very dependable.
    There is a reset button on the panel. Reset it and then see how it goes.
    I also heard that it resets automatically when you refill your tank (i doubt this though).

my 2011 SF AWD SE gives me 18mpg combined and 22mpg highway @ 70mph.
    Yeah, it is not good.
    However, it gives 27mpg @ 55mph.
  • gracehgraceh Member Posts: 8
    Hi!
    My husband drives highway 65-70mph. Best he can get is 18.1 to 18.8mpg. Nothing has improved, even after investing a ton of money at multiple dealers. We believe our car is a "lemon" and will never buy another Santa Fe again! We haven't tried to check the old fashioned way.....maybe we should. But, I'm afraid it will bring worse news than what we already have. we're stuck with the car because our trade in would be an enormous loss in $$$. Good Luck!
    edited March 2011
    Until you do it manually with a calculator you will never know the true mileage. Do not rely on the computer in the car. I have found that in most cases the computer reads a little higher than the real MPG. In the case of my Ford Fusion it sometimes reads a mile less when I compare it with my calculations using a calculator. In recent weeks my 2011 Sorento V6 has only gotten about 25 Mpg Highway and 18 City. A few weeks ago I took my youngest son up to visit a college campus about 90 Miles from home. Round trip right after filling before we left actually was only 19MPG running 70 mph and half on two lane country roads at about 55 mph. I attribute that to the fact that it is cold and from what I was told by a Firestone Mechanic that the gas stations recently changed over their fuel mixtures to the summer grade. Said this will cause a temporary drop in Fuel Economy. Your's might be a unique problem for that vehicle. If so, I would be disappointed as well.
  • ncsu602ncsu602 Member Posts: 5
    Not sure if this will help any of you guys but it's worth a shot. We've got a 2008 Limited FWD that my wife drives. Normally she's about 70%/30% city in stop and go traffic and the computer says anywhere from 20-21 mpg. On the highway it normally says 25-26, but drops severely after 70mph to around 21-22 at 80. I'm actually scared to check it manually, I'm afraid as to what it would say. I'll live in my fantasy world.

What I've noticed and read somewhere is over a 6-8 month period, the mpg will go down into the 19s. If you pull the battery cable, it resets the computer. The computer learns how you drive and adjusts things to you. It will go from 19.5 to almost 21 in 3 or 4 days after resetting. Give it a try, I do mine with every oil change and run synthetic oil with a factory Hyundai filter. I've got almost 45k and knock on wood it's never been back to the dealership. Good luck!
    First off driving 80mph is not only a bit reckless, but against the law. Sorry my oldest is a city cop. Anyway driving faster is going to reduce your MPG. That's a no brainer. I get optimum MPG between 55 to 70 mph. I use my cruise contol always on the open road. I think people that do not use the cruise tend to fluctuate their speeds which will defintely have an effect. Of course, finding open road anymore is getting more difficult especially around large metro areas. Driving to visit family in Pittsburgh from Columbus on I-70 can sometimes be impossible to use cruise. If you are driving 70mph cars are blowing by you. We take an alternate route which is about 70% 4 lane highway and at times 2 lane curvey road. But traffic is generally light and almost no trucks. There I have been running 25 to 26 Mpg for the entire trip in our Sorento FWD V6. This is over some very hilly to Mountainess (If that's a word) terrain. I will consult a mechanic about your tip.
  • lca2lca2 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had major mileage decrease after the dealer "fixed" a hesitation?
    Theyclaim to have adjusted the PCM module. My miles went from19/21 in town to 16.3 and on the current tank it is down to 14.3 on the dial. I haven't yet checked fill-up amount against mileage.

Since the dealer made the change on Apr 9th 2011 I have gone ~350 miles and have gone through the equivalent of 2 tanks of gas.

Advice?
  • denvertrakkerdenvertrakker Member Posts: 132
    "First off driving 80mph is not only a bit reckless, but against the law."

I'm guessing you've never been to Wyoming?
    Your guess would be correct. Have been through New Mexico, Oklahoma, Kansas, and Western Texas several times and yes I get your point. I'm thinking totally in terms of the Midwest and East where there is tons of traffic and the roads can be a bit bumpy, curvy, and hilly. Not to mention many pot holes during winter and early spring until they fill them or resurface. I was just making a joke. Like I said my oldest Son is cop and he drives too fast in his own vehicles. He has been pulled over several times, but when they find out he is a cop they let him go. The only exception to that is the Ohio State Troopers. They don't care if your the President. You are getting a ticket if you are breaking the law.
  • lcasey2004lcasey2004 Member Posts: 1
    i get 21-23 mpg for city and when we were on the highway from ga to mass the car's computer estimated we got between 24.6 to the most was 26.9 !!
  • rppautorppauto Member Posts: 28
    edited July 2011
    1) Check your speed and RPM for your vehicle.
    2) Calculate time taken for the same distance (in this case 10 miles)
    3) Fuel spent is a factor of your RPM and how long (time)

Below is for a 2011 Hyundai Santa FE SE AWD on a leveled highway

Calculate best speed for best mpg

Speed-----------RPM------Time taken-----Fuel spent factor = rpm x time
    55--------------1500-----0.181818182----272.7272727
    60--------------1600-----0.166666667----266.6666667 (best as lowest)
    65--------------1750-----0.153846154----269.2307692
    70--------------2000-----0.142857143----285.7142857
    75--------------2100-----0.133333333----280 (2nd best at this speed if you are in a hurry)

Distance 10 miles
    Time taken = Distance / Speed
  • karhanterkarhanter Member Posts: 5
    edited July 2011
    I have a 2011 Santa Fe GLS FWD. I bought it in Nov 2010. It has 14,000 miles on it now.

Recently i completed a 2843 mile drive from CA to PA. All the miles(except 20 miles) are highway miles on I-80. here are my observations.

when driving at 65-70 MPH (20% of the trip) i got 29 MPG.
    when driving at 70-75 MPH (60% of the trip) i got 25-27 MPG.
    when driving at 75-80 MPH (20% of the trip) i got 23-24.7 MPG.

The average MPG for the trip came at 25.9 MPG. I am really happy with it.

for 2843 miles it took 109.73 gallons
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    In Jan 2011 i completed a 1500 miles trip from Houston, TX to Las Vegas. In That trip i got average MPG of 22.5.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    I think the reason for difference in MPG on these trip may be the less weight of the cargo and people in the car.

For the TX-to-LV trip there were 2 people and 350 LB luggage in the car. Also for 200 miles i was driving at 90 MPH speed (Posted speed limit is 85 MPH). At 90 MPH i got 14 MPG.

For the CA-to-PA trip i drove alone and around 130 LB of luggage.
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    That is a great result. I have the same vehicle, and I get murdered on around-town driving with all the hills here in So Cal. But on the highway, I see 27-30 on readout on level road at 70+ mph.

I've been experimenting with using the manual mode on the trans and "short-shiting" at 2200 RPM where possible. The trans works great for this - it WILL NOT downshift on its own - just like I want it to. Too soon to report mileage using this method - bot very happy with the vehicle for long trips. A roomy, comfortable, smooth, quiet cruiser !
  • rosco804rosco804 Member Posts: 7
    I agree with graceh.... I have a 2005 Sante FE with the 3.5... recently acquired from a mother in law and the price was so good I couldnt pass it up... has been babied, dealer serviced and has only 65,000km's on it... with around town and a bit of highway, I am getting at the best 17.5mpg, and that doing my own calculations between gas put in and mileage, and I have done them several times... so I am right on with my estimate... If I didnt get such a great deal on the truck from my father in law, I would sell it... gas mileage is brutal... I was going to do what everyone else has done... tune up, air filters, spark plugs, tire change... but from what I have read, I will be wasting my money...
    I have a 2011 Sorento EX V6. We get about the same mileage as you state under similar circumstances sometimes as low as 16.5 mpg. It is only rated at 18 around town anyway. We were doing better in the warmer months due to the difference in the Gas mixture between summer and winter I believe. Also it seems when it is cold we have always gotten less mpg. On a trip this past weekend from Columbus to Pittsburgh we got only about 23 mpg on the highway. In warmer months we get close to 26 and sometimes better than that. That's with the AC on.
  • kdconodkdconod Member Posts: 53
    Well I dunno is that really so bad? The 2005's are rated by the EPA to be18-20 combined mpg depending on engine and 2 or 4 wheel drive. 17.5 mpg is only 3% less than the lower end of that range. Some models are only 16 mpg city.

The 2012's get a combined mileage of 21-23 mpg and mine is getting right in that range (4 cyl, 2.4L 4WD). The lowest I've gotten is about 20 mpg. Sure it'd be great if it got 30 mpg - but for its size I think that's pretty good mileage.
  • oregonmanoregonman Member Posts: 60
    Anyone know why the EPA ratings on the Kia Sorrento V6 AWD Automatic is listed as 18/24, while the Hyundai Santa Fe V6 AWD Automatic is listed as 20/26? I'm looking at the 2012 models here on Edmunds. I think the two are the same platform and the engine/transmission specs look identical.
  • erchphserchphs Member Posts: 2
    Recently bought an 08 Santa Fe with the 3.3L engine and 5 speed tranny. Most of the driving is a mix of rural 2 lane (40%), suburban (20%),and highway (40%). After about 5 fill ups we are averaging right on what the computer read says. Mostly around 24-27 mpg. I drive slowly and it seems to make a difference. Really enjoy the car - especially the heated seats and dual air.
  • erchphserchphs Member Posts: 2
    Addition to first post. Today we traveled about 160 miles in north central Ohio (hilly terrain) with most of the roads being rural country two lanes and some interstate. Averaged a little over 27 for the whole trip. Could see the mileage dropping as the speed went above 60, but to avoid getting run down I do at least drive the speed limit on the interstate.
  • sfprestsfprest Member Posts: 1
    Tire Pressure may be low. Air filter may be clogged, check this first. at 75000 miles the timing belt should have been replaced at 60000 engine would tend to stumble.
  • nacenace Member Posts: 45
    EPA finds Hyundai, Kia overstated gas mileage
    By TOM KRISHER | Associated Press – 1 hr 33 mins ago
    Email
    Share2
    Print

Enlarge Photo
    Associated Press/Nam Y. Huh - In this Thursday, Oct. 4, 2012, photo, a Hyundai Elantra is seen inside of a Hyundai car dealership in Des Planines, Ill. Major automakers are reporting Thursday, Nov. 1, 2012, …more
    DETROIT (AP) — Hyundai and Kia overstated the gas mileage on most of their models from the past three years in an embarrassing blunder that could bring sanctions from the U.S. government and millions of dollars in payments to car owners.
    Because of the inflated mileage, discovered during an audit by the Environmental Protection Agency, the Korean automakers must retrofit the window stickers on the cars, reducing their fuel economy figures by one-to-six miles per gallon depending on the model, the agency said Friday.
    "Consumers rely on the window sticker to help make informed choices about the cars they buy," said Gina McCarthy, assistant administrator of the EPA's air-quality office. "EPA's investigation will help protect consumers and ensure a level playing field among automakers."
    The EPA said its inquiry into the errors is continuing, and the agency would not comment when asked if the companies will be fined or if a criminal investigation is under way. But the EPA said it's the first case in which erroneous test results were uncovered in a large number of vehicles from the same manufacturer. Only two similar errors have been discovered since 2000, and those involved single models.
    Hyundai and Kia executives apologized for the errors, said they were unintentional, and promised to pay the owners of 900,000 cars and SUVs for the difference in mileage. The payments, which will be made annually for as long as people own their cars, are likely to cost the companies hundreds of millions of dollars.
    Automakers follow EPA procedures to do their own mileage tests, and the EPA enforces accuracy by auditing about 15 percent of vehicles annually.
    The EPA said it began looking at Hyundai and Kia when it received a dozen complaints from consumers that the mileage of their 2012 Hyundai Elantra compact cars fell short of numbers on the window stickers. Staffers at the EPA's vehicle and fuel emission laboratory in Ann Arbor, Mich., included the Elantra in an annual audit that focused on cars that lead their market segments in mileage.
    The audit turned up discrepancies between agency test results and data turned in by Hyundai and Kia, the EPA said. As a result, the two automakers will have to knock one or two miles per gallon off the mileage posted on most of the models' window stickers. Some models will lose three or four miles per gallon, and the Kia Soul, a funky-looking boxy small SUV, will lose six mpg from the highway mileage on its stickers.
    Hyundai and Kia are owned by the same company and share factories and research, but they sell different vehicles and market them separately. The companies said the mistakes stemmed from procedural differences between their mileage tests and those performed by the EPA.
    "We're just extremely sorry about these errors," said John Krafcik, Hyundai's CEO of American operations. "We're driven to make this right."
    The changes affect 13 models from the 2011 through 2013 model years, including seven Hyundais and six Kias. Window stickers will have to be changed on some versions of Hyundai's Elantra, Sonata Hybrid, Accent, Azera, Genesis, Tucson, Veloster and Santa Fe models, as well as the Kia Sorrento, Rio, Soul, Sportage and Optima Hybrid.
    Michael Sprague, executive vice president of marketing for Kia Motors America, also apologized and said the companies have a program in place to reimburse customers for the difference between the mileage on the window stickers and the numbers from the EPA tests.
    The companies will find out how many miles the cars have been driven, find the mileage difference and calculate how much more fuel the customer used based on average regional fuel prices and combined city-highway mileage. Customers also would get a 15 percent premium for the inconvenience, and the payments would be made with debit cards, Sprague said. The owner of a car in Florida with a one mpg difference who drove 15,000 miles would get would get a debit card for $88.03 that can be refreshed every year as long as the person owns the car, Sprague said.
    If all 900,000 owners get cards for $88.03, it would cost the automakers more than $79 million a year.
    For information, owners can go to www.hyundaimpginfo.com or www.kiampginfo.com .
    Sung Hwan Cho, president of Hyundai's U.S. technical center in Michigan, said the EPA requires a complex series of tests that are very sensitive and can have variations that are open to interpretation. The companies did the tests as they were making a large number of changes in their cars designed to improve mileage. The changes, such as direct fuel injection into the cylinders around the pistons, further complicated the tests, Cho said.
    "This is just a procedural error," he said. "It is not intended whatsoever."
    Krafcik said the companies have fixed testing procedures and are replacing window stickers on cars in dealer inventories. Owners can be confident in their mileage stickers now, he said, adding that Hyundai will still be among the industry leaders in gas mileage even with the revised window stickers.
    The mileage was overstated on about one-third of the Hyundais and Kias sold during the three model years, he said.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    If you are a Hyundai or Kia owner and have a reaction to the company’s announcement today re: EPA fuel economy ratings, please email PR@edmunds.com today to talk with a reporter.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jdixsonjdixson Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2.4L FWD 2013 Sport. The new combined mileage figure represents a 7.7% reduction in fuel economy. Taken with all of the other models affected and over a period of three years, the data suggests fraud, not incompetence.

The reimbursement program does not come close to addressing the financial impact of the revised numbers to existing and potential owners. A number of similar sized SUV's now outperform the Santa Fe ( fuel efficiency-wise ) and the new performance information will directly affect initial sale price, and certainly resale price.

I have sent a letter to Hyundai requesting a buy-back. That may be optimistic, but I think a class action suit is a certainty.
  • 190e190e Member Posts: 1
    Any new AWD Sante Fe drivers been on the road long enough to get a feel for the "true" mileage?

I'm 1/2 a tank in on my first tank and I feel as if I'm driving a tank.

Getting 12mpg combined or 20L/100km.

City driving and I'm not towing a land yacht.
  • tijuana_2012tijuana_2012 Member Posts: 1
    Autometer has one for 2008s and newer, but has anyone seen one for a 2004? I'd appreciate your help. Thanks!~
  • pzopfipzopfi Member Posts: 3
    The gas milege adjustments are not for all kia's or all Hyundai's. It is only on a very few select models. People need to read the details and stop thinking their always being ripped off.
    I have had a 2013 Santa fe 2.0t AWD for about two full months now and I am averaging about 26.2 mpg. I'm not heavy footed but not a old man or anything of the sort. I do drive with the eco button on, and I watch the gage in the driver info. I drive with a light foot. This motor will maintain your speed very addequatlly. I really enjoy this vehicle. Check your tire pressure. All these vehicles are shipped with 40-45 pounds in the tires to prevent flat spots during transport. They should have 33 pounds for every day driving. Watch your driver info and drive with a light foot and you wil get good gas milege. People tend to have a heavy foot especially taking off. Also take your foot off of the accelerator earlier when coming to a light or stop sign.
  • jdixsonjdixson Member Posts: 10
    26.2 is doing very well indeed. May I ask if that number is the value presented in the vehicle or is it the value you calculate by dividing miles travelled by the amount of fuel added? Reason for asking is that on mine, I have noted differences of up to 3.6 mpg after fill ups in those two values.( I have the 2.4 engine ). Thanks.
  • missourijoemissourijoe Member Posts: 1
    I just received my letter from Hyundai Friday and I was really very surprised due to the mileage my Santa Fe is getting. I am a little skeptical now if the computer is accurate or not now. I am averaging around 29-30 with about 15% in town driving. I have around 9,000 miles now on the vehicle and I am very happy about it so far. I bought the vehicle soley on the mil age decision and I am not to happy about a mistake in the sticker estimate, when it makes it to this point, it sure looks like fraud to me. Their adjustment is for legal reasons I'm sure to avoid the class actions if you buy into that. I bought this vehicle for more mileage and time than their adjustment would cover and so the idea of a limit is asking alot to get out of this. I'm just hoping we continue to get that mileage and that it is accurate (I will check it the old way soon). Mine is a 2013 Sport 2WD.
    That is my average mileage by dividing miles driven by gallons added. My trip computer is off by about 2.4 or so miles per gallon every week. This vehicle takes a bit of getting use to in getting the best mileage. We just recently took it on a trip to Virginia and averaged 28.9 for one tank full and 26.8 for another. I like to use the fuel gauge with the instant sliding bar in the center message area in between the steering wheel. It helps you to keep a light foot. I also always drive with the eco coach on. That eco does indeed work. The responsiveness of the engine is a little slower but still very adequate. I really enjoy the Sante-Fe. I have driven several times in heavy snow with no problems at all. I liked it better then my former full size 4 will drive truck.
  • obktobkt Member Posts: 35
    I have a 2010 Limited, FWD with a 4 cyl. Bought it new and now have 32k miles on it. I just got back from a round trip to San Antonio from southern New Mexico. We were lightly loaded, 2 people with 2 suit cases. 90% highway driving, posted speed limit 80 mpg most of the way. Going I averaged 21.3, coming home with a slight headwind I averaged 19.8. I played with the transmission some, using manual mode and auto mode. Didn't seem to make a difference except the tendency to downshift at the slightest hill was eliminated in manual mode.
    Although I am unhappy with the fuel mileage, I do like the Santa Fe very much. Not a speck of problems with it. By the way, I average around 23 mpg when just driven around town.
  • kidalikidali Member Posts: 17
    I know your post is old, but just bought an 07 based on how it rode, handled and looked. Was a trade-in at a toyota dealer.

In one week, have only put 136 miles, gone through half a tank, and am guessing based on what's shown, will get 13 miles to the gallon.

.... what was I thinking.

fast talking salesmen... ugh.

Thinking of trading it in, after ONE week, taking the hit, losing a few grand, and think about a brand new Elantra GT or Tuscon 4cyl.

Love the ride, the feel, but that mileage is revolting.
  • kidalikidali Member Posts: 17
    I am new to the Santa Fe realm, but it's an 07.

V6, 3.3litre.

Have only had it a week.
    Gone 220 clicks.
    Half a 75litre tank gone.
    Did some quick calculations.

Figured I'm going to get about 18l/100 (or 13mpg)

... and I thought my old 97 subaru was bad at 14l...

never again with the V6s. Asked the toyota where I bought it about a 1 week buyers remorse return.... no go. Live and learn. May take a hit, trade it in to Hyundai and try a new manual 4cyl Tuscon. With the gas savings, I doubt it will be any more per month, even with financing payments vs all paid off with the 07
  • smtadayyonsmtadayyon Member Posts: 1
    I got a usded Sanata fe 2009 limited v6 3.3 l a few month ago. my major criteion was gas consumption. After a week of driving I was shocked to see my tank was empty after driving in city for 300 km. After that I measured my fuel consumption very carefully and after a few times of measurements for strictly highway and strictly city I found that the actual rate is 30% above the car sticker rate. This happens all the time no matter how you drive. I complained to Hyundai but they say it's normal and the sticker rate is only for driving at 77 km/hr and not for real driving and so on. I have been measuring my gas consumption on all car I have had so far and they have been within 5% of the sticker rate. I feel that I have been cheated. The car is still under warantee but Hyundai says there is nothing they can do and it's very norma. I am so frustrated and will never buy a Hyundai car and will never be silent if I see someone has an intention to buy one.
  • chris916chris916 Member Posts: 3
    I just took deliver of my new Santa Fe Limited, 6 seater with V6. Sticker says 18-25. They drove it from the Bay Area to Sacramento on a dealer trade. Having had such a terrible experience with my Elantra supposed 29-40 that my wife gets 23 in with 50/50 driving, I was set on rejecting the car if it didn't pass my acceptance test.

Well, the ultimate test was looking at the odometer, It had 112 freeway miles and the MPG was indicated on the dash as 27.4. That was satisfying enough to accept the car.

Today, on my way to work, again 50/50 city hiway for about 13 miles one way, I got to work indicating 30.1 MPG. Now granted, I drove it with complete fuel economy in mind, but there were full stops and starts with my air on.

All in All, it appears that Hyundai has set themselves straight on the MPG issue. Don't hesitate.
  • sparklandsparkland Member Posts: 120
    If you look closely, I think you will see the gauge actually says, 30.1 miles per hour. That tricked me the first week. The salesman had no clue either and said the Santa Fe got 30 mpg--wrong!
  • gunga64gunga64 Member Posts: 271
    2007 santa fe limited, front wheel drive, automatic.

Adjust your driving habits and really crank out MPG, I drove to GA one year with my Santa Fe and on cruise and AC I got 30 MPG if I set the cruise say at 58 miles per hour for hours of driving. If I went like 60 MPH it could drop the MPG by 5% easily.

The funny thing is recently, I drove from the dealership to home it was about a twenty mile drive. I reset the MPG indicator on the SUV. I basically set the cruise to like 40-45 in town driving and somehow missed every light. I was totally amazed to make it all the way home with 29 MPG. I inflate my tires close to their max, use fully synthetic oil. We also use BP gas as the car likes it my wive says. Our average with wive driving stop and go is like 22 MPG, she doesn't use cruise so is constantly feathering the gas, really kills me, I use cruise everywhere.

I read how some people in Prious can push their MPG to like 100 by doing all kinds of tricks while driving. They would coast or drive so they didnt stop at lights etc.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

The 2014 Sport sounds like it may be a bit "thirsty" but it'd be nice to see some real world reports.

What I personally would like to see are reports from owners of the "stretched" Santa Fe. Thanks!