Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra - First Impressions

18910111214»

Comments

• blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    We're contemplating a pickup for both a shop vehicle and general weekend use and I need a little help with the options. Because this is not going to be anyone's primary vehicle (i.e., it is not going to be the bosses "candy wagon"), I am thinking of keeping the options to a minimum.

Questions:

1) The GM web site infers that power windows/locks are not availble with the Work Truck edition. Yet the '07 Chev catalog that the dealers hand out lists a "Work Truck Convenience Package". Can you get power windows in a Work Truck edition? Power windows in a truck are a necessity IMHO.

2) We want to get the trailer package for not only the trailer capability but also the added coolers. Seems like a no brainer.

3) Engines. The 5.3 seems to be a good option. But the 6.0 is appealing because you get so much more with it such as a six speed tranny instead of the four speed. Any thoughts?

4) You can get vinyl with the WorkTruck or leather for an addional $800 (dealer installed). We have leather in all of our cars and like it. But I don't remember vinyl as being all that bad. Is it?

5) Cabs. Sure the Extended Cab is nice, but it is rougly 3K more and I rarely see them used except as storage lockers for the owner's gymn bag. Moreover, you give up an 8' bed. Based on my experience with an F150 Supercab with the 8' bed, you should really settle for only a 6' bed with an Extended Cab.

6) Fancy sterio/fancy wheels/LT3 etc, etc? For the fourth vehicle in two person household, this seems like overkill.

7) I like getting more for my money. When I run the numbers for a 1500 vs. a 2500 they are within 1K or so. Seems like the ostensibly more rugged 2500 is a good deal. Yet a salesman just told me that the frames are the same with the exeption of one addional leaf spring on the 2500. So, what do you get with a 2500 that you can't get with a 1500?? How is it more rugged?

8) I see where you can option up a Work Truck. Of all the option packages, is the 1LT the best "deal" for your money??

Any thoughts? What did I miss?
  • kcflyerkcflyer Member Posts: 78
    Previously I read that GM would start putting 5 speed automatics in their half tons in 08. Now that the new model year is close I have not read anything that mentions this. Does anyone know?

By the way. The wife has 20K on her 06 crew cab 4wd slt. Other than rattles hear and there (in the truck) it has been so far so good. We get 16 mpg in mixed driving and 19-20 hwy.
  • northganorthga Member Posts: 7
    I just bought an 07 silverado crew cab 2wd z71 and love it. The only complaint I have is that there is wind noise, sounds like it might be from the drivers side view mirror or I really don't know. Has anyone else had this problem or is it just my truck. thanks
  • lionclawzlionclawz Member Posts: 12
    Agreed Northga, I too would have appreciated a lower profile of wind noise. My concern is at high speed where it is at its loudest, not really bad but enuf to have me considering rain deflectors for the Driver and Passenger side windows to reduce it! at say speeds below 35 its fine. I have a X-tended Cab and if I lower the rear door windows the noise is lessoned.

I also have the Sunroof, and it too has a sound issue - I love to drive at high speed with the sunroof open, but it really isn't a option. I have noticed a baffle that overlays it a little that might reduce the sound level. there is a wind baffle integrated into the opening and closing of the sunroof glass panel but it really is ineffective and I feel could have been designed better. (note Skytop, this is not a opportunity to pounce , please, LOL)

Other wise I love the truck, 8800 miles on it so far

16.9 city, 19+ highway
  • 1offroader1offroader Member Posts: 208
    blckislandguy

On your point #3, you Do NOT get a 6-speed with the 6.0 motor. You get the Super Duty 4-speed. The 6-speed is only on the Sierra with the 6.2L motor.

The external trans and engine oil coolers also come standard on the 6.0L.

1offroader
  • d_sandersd_sanders Member Posts: 8
    1st of all, you need to find another salesman, cause he doesn't know head from his @$$. The Work Truck has an LS package that offers your power windows and locks. It also has a CD and cruise control. This is the perfect package for most guys like you who want a base truck with some of the items that you cant live without.

The difference between the 6.0L and 5.3L V8s is HP and torque. No, you do not get a 6 speed automatic trans with the 6.0L unless you go to the 2500HD. The 6.0L Vortec Maxx V8 in the 1500 is matched with a 4 speed automatic also. HP/Torque is 315/338 on the 5.3L and 367/375 on the 6.0L. The HP/Torque on the 2500HD with a 6.0L is 353/375 and a 6 speed auto transmission with touch-up, touch-down manual mode.

The vinyl is just as good as the leather. Don't waste you money, you won't get it back on trade in.

The bed on the Ext cab is a 6.5 foot bed. The extended cab has enough room for 3 adults to ride in the back if needed. It is not as much room as the crew cab, but if you need it, you got it.

Stick with the LS package on your Work truck, you won't need to pay for those other extras.

This is where you need a new salesman. The 2500HD is way more frame and powertrain than the 1500. 1st of all, the 1500 GVWR is 7000 lbs. the 2500HD is 9200 lbs. (big difference). The engine and tranny are also much bigger.

Again, the Work truck with the LS package will save you $thousands. The 1LT has many options that you may not need or want. Go find a 1LT and look at the standard options for the 1LT. If it has options that you want, that the work truck doesn't then the 1LT is the better option.

D. Sanders
    D. Sanders, thanks. I appreciate it.

The 1500 Silverado 1LT configured the way we want it (5.3 engine and towing) comes in at $31235. The WT configured the same way (5.3 and towing) plus other features we want (CD, rear defroster, solar windows, LS package, power windows/locks/doors), all WT options that are included in the 1LT, comes in at $30,397. Call it an $800 difference.

This seems close. But, as far as I can tell from the Chev web site, there is no AC available in the WT. This makes the 1LT a no brainer in 2007. PLUS the side curtain air bag is available on the 1LT and not on the WT. If you have AC and the side curtains, you have truck you can live with for 10 years.

Sure the WT is a lot cheaper than the 1LT if you delete the power windows/locks ($990), the solar glass ($100), and the chrome front end in the LS package ($490) but now you are into a different vehicle. Something with no air, hand crank windows, manual locking doors (imagine trying to close a window or lock a door at a stop light at night), etc.

As a side note, one of the attractions to someone who drives a truck for 10 years in the Northeast, is the towing package. Not only do you get a trailer hitch but also you get a better suspension, a tranny cooler, and the locking differential. I strongly recommend the package even if you don't plan on towing much. The vehicle will last longer, be more versatile and better in snow.
  • tsullytsully Member Posts: 30
    Own a nbs 2007 Sierra Denali. Have had it for about 8 months.
    Love the truck. Can't say enough good things about it. But I do have this little bitty gripe. Hoping someone here has a solution. The navigation/radio screen is to bright at night when set in automatic mode. I know there are manual settings. And using those settings is how I control the brightness of the screen. Here is the problem. Using the manual night mode setting I can adjust the brightness of the the screen for night mode. Same thing for the manual day mode settings. So I have to manually choose the night mode when I drive at night and day mode when I drive during the day. If I select the automatic mode, the screen is to bright at night but ok during the day. I was hoping that when I adjusted the manual day and night settings those would become the default for the automatic settings but nope. Any ideas? thanks a bunch
  • gaspasser2gaspasser2 Member Posts: 44
    Its becoming more apparent that this will be my next ruck barring any significant set back, recalls etc. CR now recommends it over the Tundra(4x4). I'm getting excited and looking forward to buying my first American brand car. My family has always owned a Toyota, Honda, Mazda, and BMW. We'll see. The rest of the family will be skeptic and may even criticize me for choosing a GMC over a Toyota so theres a lot a stake here other than my hard earned $$. I hope GMC doesn't disappoint.
  • mherringmherring Member Posts: 4
    Looking into purchasing a 1500 sierra crew cab (5.3 liter)....I test drove a 2008 the other day. It seems when i punch the gas there is a hesitation before it kicks in. Is this normal for these trucks or did i drive a lemon? A big engine like that, i was expecting an instant response when i punch the gas, but it doesnt...there is a slight "bog down" right before it kicks in.
    Could someone clear this up for me?
  • 1offroader1offroader Member Posts: 208
    Test drive a different one and compare.

1offroader
  • mherringmherring Member Posts: 4
  • teamimpactteamimpact Member Posts: 2
    My 2007 Vortec Max does the same thing it starts out slow and then all of a sudden the motor wakes up
  • dunkbaitdunkbait Member Posts: 5
    Here are some random thoughts.
    I have had my 5.3 LTZ for about two months and have about 3 thousand miles on it.
    I am getting about 15 mph which is a mix of city/hwy. I think the V4/V8 has not been perfected yet as it doesn't seem to help much. A perfect speed for the V4 is about 40mph slightly downhill. The 25 gallon tank is a little annoying. Interior storage is lacking. Would be nice if there were an above sunglass compartment or under seat storage. Overall the truck is great. Comfortable, relatively quiet, nice ride, great features ( remote start, auto folding mirrors, steering wheel radio controls, back up warning, heated seats, rainsense wipers. One other item of note, although I have the Z71 off-road suspension, the front of the truck is only 11" off the ground. I already tore off the cheap black plastic front spoiler on a concrete parking stop. My dad's 2003 ford front bumper is about 16-18" off the ground. I like the ONStar turn by turn howver I will not pay the $38 a month when my trial runs out and XM is not as good as Sirius. I am glad I bought and would do it again tomorrow. The only thing that would be better would be the 6 speed tranny.
    Just took delivery of an LT1 that I special ordered. Great truck, great ride, great dealership experience. GM is back!

I ordered a Silverado 1500 extended cab in leather, with side air bags, power driver's seat, cargo management system, and stabiltrak. Period. Everything else I wanted was standard with the LT1. (Believe me, I did the "build your Chevy" web site exercise nine ways from Sunday to figure out the best way to get the features I wanted). The truck rides well, the interior is great with the seats at least as comfortable as those in our Volvo, which everyone claims are the best. I love the XM radio (I have no experience with Sirius) and will probably keep it activated. Clearly it is a generation ahead of the hard-riding, high wind noise, poor ergonomic F150s.

Toyota wouldn't let me build and order the truck I wanted even though they aren't exactly setting sales records. The "Build Your Tundra" feature on their web site is largely academic because your Toyota dealer can't order it to your specs from his Toyota distributor (why the added step in distribution??). Rather the all-knowing Toyota distributor sends the Toyota dealer the Tundras they "know" will sell.

As a side note, go to Maine for your next vehicle. I got tired of the shuck and jive from the Chevy dealers in Massachusetts. No one it seems stocked trucks with side curtain air bags or stabiltrak. (I guess safety doesn't sell?). When I insisted that I wanted one with those options, they became very difficult and resisted a special order. Are their vehicles selling that well? Was my button down business attire too much for them to handle? Were the sales guys hoping for a layup?

One Saturday I was in Portland, ME on business. I casually stopped in at Pape Chevrolet. Nice people, no pressure. Placed an order, waited 6 weeks, and picked it up last week. They ordered what I wanted, no tricks, no gimmicks, no last minute got-cha's

Now get this: as I left Portland on the way home on the Interstate it was dark and began to snow. I realized that as with most new vehicles the truck probably had about a pint of gas left in it. I began frantically to look for an Exit and for a gas station. Wrong! These Mainers gave me the truck with a full tank of gas. Pape is a class act.

Pape Chevrolet gave me the same level of customer service that I get from my Porsche dealer and much better than from our Volvo dealer. I'm impressed. Impressed enough to order a Tahoe-hybrid from them in a year or so.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Congrats on the new truck. Glad you're happy with your dealer. You might consider posting a good word for them on the dealer ratings and review part of Edmunds.

Dealer ratings and reviews
  • gmcbobgmcbob Member Posts: 27
    I posted this on Cheers & Gears to get some comments on this...I'm wondering why GM won't offer the big engine in a regular cab like Toyota does? At the end of the day, I think I'll still end up getting a car, but a reg. cab V8 truck sounds interesting to me, especially one that can do the 1/4 mile in the low 14s.

I've been thinking about replacing my old 98 Jimmy lately (as I do about every other month or so, hehehe) and what I want runs the gamut from a new Mustang GT, to a late model G35 or wait out and see what the Camaro is like, which I guess I"m subconsciously doing by not buying anything (I owned a 98 Z28 and I actually really miss it). I also owned 2 late model Sierras once upon a time (an 01 2wd and an 04 Z71, both of which I bought when I owned a business)...Every once in a while I get a hankering to get another full size truck again, but something thats unusual and fun. Anywho...long story short, I was thinking it would be kind of cool to have a hot rod truck as my daily driver - think 2wd regular cab V8 truck - and as I was building and researching online I noticed something extremely disappointing about the GM trucks; you can't get the 375 horse 6.0L Vortec Max engine in the regular cab! Toyota offers the 5.7L in their regular cab, I think GM should offer that motor (or better yet, the new 6.2L) in their regular cab. What gives?
  • efflandtefflandt Member Posts: 5
    If you want a 6.0L shortbed pickup AND a sports car, you might wait for the Holden SS V-Series Ute to come to the US in the near future as a Pontiac or GMC (they built the last Pontiac GTO).
  • gmcbobgmcbob Member Posts: 27
    That is definitely a thought, although I can see my wife being awfully ticked when I come home on a random Saturday afternoon in a year with Pontiac G8 Ute. :D hehehe. The Ute's are certainly different (and fast with the V8). It'll be interesting to see how well they do in the market place in the US if GM decides to sell them here.
  • bkc1bkc1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi guys. I'm sorry if this turns up twice but I must have screwed something up the first time.

Does anyone know if GM did away with the electronic torque converter lock? The reason I ask is I can hold the throttle at a steady speed and lightly step on the brake and there is no slight increase in RPM with my 2008 Z-71 5.3. All my other ones did have this. Thanks in advance!
  • the_big_althe_big_al Member Posts: 1,079
    I would hope for a mix between the Tahoe and current front... Go with the Tahoe grill with a couple minor change cues so you know it's the truck (like the difference between the 06 Tahoe and 06 truck), but give it a REAL BUMPER. Not some el cheapo plastic piece that the minute you bump a gate or fence or post or what ever it scratches, knocks it loose, cracks or anything else. Give it a nice solid chromed steel bumper. They are welcome to surround it with rubber bump strips or plastic lower valances, but the major part should be solid steel. I don't care if a plastic bumper makes it so that the front meshes cleanly with the front fenders and gives a nice clean look.... this is a TRUCK! It is meant to be used for work. Not some mom's grocery getter that will never see the other side of the pavement. Anyway... not to cause offence at those who will buy a Tahoe just for getting groceries as they are a very nice looking vehicle and I do like the clean lines, but the majority of Tahoe owner I would suspect are people who use them as people haulers and not work horses while the Truck buyers for the most part buy the truck because they need a bed they can haul stuff in, they have a farm, they work construction, they tow horse trailers, etc etc. I don't think a plastic bumper would service a winch very well now would it??
    well... prior to the Avalanche debuting in 2002 the trucks have always historically had the same front end --- from the Tahoe to Suburban to the truck. The Avalanche if I remember correctly was a design excercise to see how well it sold and it did well depsite its Aztek looking body panels. When Chevy re-did the front the ends on the 03-current trucks, they left the Tahoe and Suburban alone.

So I would not be surprised to see all 4 trucks have the same front end. I don't recall the 07 Avalanche being offered with body hardware (which is good considering how awful I thought it looked), and even the GMC's Denali versions are lacking the body molding that the previous generation had. It might have something to do with cost-cutting, but it could be more in the way of streamlining GM's look.
    true - but here is another thought to chew on... Also historically GM has favored releasing the truck versions before the SUV versions. They did it in 88 when they redesigned the C/K pickups, but the Suburban/C/K Blazer didn't debut until 1990('91?). In 1999 they released the current generation Silverado, but it was model year 2000 until we got the Suburban/Tahoe. And they all had the same front ends.

This time around due to the popularity of the SUV GM has reversed and released the Tahoe first, then the Suburban and now the Avalanche has just been released. The truck is the last, but at least it is still within the same model year. So in following GM's general tradition I would not be surprised to see the same front end on the Chevy versions of the truck. It would be nice if they differentiated it a little bit, but I am not holding my breath.

I do however expect to see some changes to the Sierra front end to differentiate it from the Yukon. I think that is where GM will focus the differences. GMC is supposed to be the upscale and more luxurious truck line and so to have cosmetic changes would make more sense? In my opinion, I wouldn't want a truck that has the Yukon front end anyway. I will go for the Chevy any day of the week. I like the Yukon front end - it has the Euro flair, but for a truck??? That would make it look like a Deville with a truck bed on it.
    I also found it interesting tht GM is using different interiors from it's truck line and SUV line. I was expecting the interior currently in the 07 tahoes and yukons... I was actually looking forward to it. Hopefully even though it's different it will still have a quality look and feel to it. Although I will say that I do not hate the interior of the current trucks, it is a little out-dated. I am not fond of the Ford interior or the the Toyota interiors. Dodge is okay, but as far as ergonomically, GM has always been my favorite.
    Maybe GM will, maybe they won't have different faces on the truck compared to the Tahoe. History shows that tradtionally they haven't, except for the latest models... the '03-05 Silverado, compared to the same model year Tahoe/Suburban, but maybe times are changing. The interior is different obvious from the spy shot, so a slightly different front end is to be expected, but I'm not holding my breath and if the front ends are the same I won't be displeased, but if they are different than I'll be pleasantly surprised and in line to buy one. (I'll probably be in line to buy one anyway.... :) The Silverado that is.
    OKay here's my 2 cents worth. First Impressions? eh, I think I like the Tahoe and Avalanch front ends better but... just like my reaction to the new Superman Suit (if anyone even cares there's a new Superman Movie coming out in 2 weeks :D), I am not sure I like it yet, bet I think over time it will grow on me. I would buy. I think that it is interesting that the SUV and the Truck versions now have distinctly different front ends and rears. It started with the last generation, but now it's like barely even a body panel is the same. I have never been a fan of pronounced fenders, and so this is a little bit off putting but I will see how it grows on me.
    Okay so this truck ain't so hot in the styling market... but I would be curious to see what was said back in '99 when the current generation debuted? What was said then? "Oh it's not enough of a change!" "It looks to much like what we have now!" "GM screwed up this time!"

Yet look at how many of them are on the road... and I like the 99-02 design. Not so much the 03-current but I could deal with it especially since the Chevy is the most capable truck on the road right now. So people might say what they want about how the truck looks, but there will be one in my driveway eventually if it's got the capabilities I need.... (that is also depending on my ability to afford one :D - I may have to wait until they start hitting the used lots :D)
    I just looked at one of the links posted above and even though it is only a corner shot of the front end... I really like the gun metal grey. I am also liking the stacked headlight arrangment. It heralds back to the 80's and I am sure GM will be flayed by stylists who say GM has no ability to style a truck, but the 80's style stacked headlamp design is my favorite design. That particular body style to me is the most rugged looking of the most recent body styles....

When my lil' ole S-10 finally poops (if it ever does :)), I'll be headed to my Chevy dealer for a test drive....
    I was in a dealership and had them negotiated down to 23,xxx for a 06 Crew LT1 package.... Didn't take the deal as I didn't get enough for trade and I wasn't really in to buy. I just wanted to test drive and know matter how hard I told them I wasn't buying they kept comin. I finally just left. It took almost a month before they quit calling me.
    Actually the hood is not misaligned, it has just been popped and is not closed all the way.
    I hate to give Ford props, but there are a couple of things I have noticed about the current F-150 that I would like to see in the Chevy. One is the power rear windows of the extended cab. I noticed this in a ex-cab F-150 the other day and I thought the window was broken out. Until the lady rolled it up and I thought "COOL"... Another is mentioned above and it is the size of the regual cab F-150. I also think that GM should incorporate that as well as the extra space behind the seat would be especially useful. It would give those that don't actually need and extended cab, but still want some cab space more reason to buy a regualr cab.
    Actually I like the GM better than the Silverado. Again the GM looks better. I have always like the GMC front ends (with the exception of the 98-04 S-10/Blazer compared to the same years of Sonoma/Jimmy) better. This dates clear back to the 80's which the style dares to duplicate. Although I do like it. From first glance however, the headlights look exactly like those of the Chevy. The differences being the grill and the fenders. It's hard to tell since the photo is not the clearest and at an angle, but I would be willing to bet, to save money, these two trucks are more badge engineered than the previous generation. Although they have always been pretty much the same truck, at least the previous generations have had whole grill changes. It would be interesting to see GM actually build two completly different trucks. They could be based off the same platform, but the bodies themselves would be completely different. From grilles, to fenders to even doors and roof lines and bed and tailight designs. Similar to what Ford (man I hate giving Ford props :D)has done to distinguish it's F-150 and Super Duty line. In that regard I wonder what the Heavy Duty versions will look like? Are they to be distinguished differently with a different look? At least GM has taken a step and distinguished the Truck from the SUV - even giving the truck line a whole different interior.
    Just looked at the pics posted here... http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=116348#3. I like the new look more and more... But one question. Is that a Tahoe interior (the first interior pic), or is an uplevel Silverado to have the same interior as the Tahoe?

One pic shows an interior that I swear is the same pic as the Tahoe interior. The other is a very different interior. Hence my question; is an uplevel Silverado to have the same interior as the Tahoe?
    Okay - so I just read the full description of the Silverado and answered my own question. It appears that the trucks will offer two distinct interiors... The "Uplevel" Tahoe interior for LTZ and Denalli and the other for base and mid-level... but the mid-level interior is still supposed to be really "uplevel" still.
    I think that I would almost prefer the base/midlevel interior. It appears more driver centric - the radio and A/C controls and dash are centered more towards the driver. Plus the big door handles just speak "truck" to me. I prefer that. The smaller handles in the up level interior and the more centered radio and climate controls look great and the overall layout works well, but I prefer the other design. It just seems more ergonomic to me.
    Just checked out Chevy's and GMC's websites. It looks like you can now configure an 07 truck... They look pretty fancy. When is Inside Line going to get thier hands on one for a full test??? :):D

I am pretty interested in how well it performs.
    I actually saw a couple test mules in AZ while I was there for Christmas. Ex-Cab models of both the Sierra and the Silverado.

Pretty imposing beasts. The grill on the GMC was like a huge gaping mouth ready to swallow you whole. Not that they were bad mind you... just big and imposing, a looking ready to do what they need to do. Tow and haul.
    I thought it was a cost effective thing... GM cost-cutting at it's best. I don't think most people will or would have noticed a difference in drum or disc at the rear.
    I think it'll do ya well... I am really looking forward to what GM does with the redesign. I am not overly fond of the current front end with the chiseled headlights (I think the Sierra's are a little better), and would actually prefere the design that is still used on the current Suburban Tahoe (not the 07 Tahoe). But in any case, if the 07 Tahoe is any indication, I think that the new truck will be heads and tails above the current one. I like the front end design of the Tahoe, the Yukon not so much; hopefully the truck has a little bit different look to it. I am also not too fond of the front bumper. I think plastic bumpers are a joke. Hopefully there is some chrome or at least a true metal bumper in store for the truck. But in any case - overall I think that GM is doing things right again... They did the trucks right last time around save for the interiors, but even while not a "luxurious" as a competitor, the interiors they were at least ergonomic and more functional than most of the trucks on the market at the time.

So I am excited about the new trucks... Hopefully I will be able to get one. A Colorado looks to be more in my range, but who knows... maybe a Silverado is in my sights?
This discussion has been closed.