Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra - First Impressions

Comments

• summerwind4summerwind4 Member Posts: 20
    only ones i found on chevy's site are these........
    http://www.chevrolet.com/pop/silverado/2007/acc/05CHESILTAS51_en.jsp

do you have a link to the bds. you got?
  • skytop1skytop1 Member Posts: 106
    Yes, those are the same boards. The Chevy and GMC vehicles appear to be almost the same with a few exceptions.
    The part number I purchased at GMC is 17801890. It lists for $599. The dealer charged me $539. plus $30. for installation. One of the few options that really works.
    GM is the ONLY manufacturer that fails to provide an A pillar grab handle to make truck entry easy. They advise to grab and pull on the steering wheel. Now my steering column has come loose and makes a knocking noise. That is why I purchased the boards to assist in entry on my AWD.
    GM is teaching me rapidly to be very wary of them and their high school level engineers.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Back in '05 I was looking for a new truck. Went to one Chevy dealer who refused to come off of MSRP stating that I qualified for $3K in rebates. They actually let me walk out the door on that one. Second dealer had no black Silverados and the GMCs were all over $30K forcing me to buy a Titan.

One thing about the Titan...doesn't ride nearly as well as the '00 Rado or the newer ones. Oh well. Seems to ride more like a 2500HD.

These are the nerf bars from Westin:

http://westin.accessory-center.com/Platinum-Series-Step-Bars.4063.ptml?f1=CHEVROLET&f4=2007&f2=SILVERADO+1500

So what camera ya got now?
    i'm afraid to tell ya...........it's a Canon Pro 1 i bought back when they came out. it takes good pictures once you figure out what IT likes to shoot... ;) that's why the background is completely blown.........shootin a black object is not something these cams are good out.
    got tired of luggin lenses around, not to mention what it takes to cherry pick 'em. no 2 lens are alike, believe me.
    got back into RC Planes and sold all the camera gear to get all the new toys.....haha
    i like the Westins, and what skytop pointed out is so true.
    after his post i went out to see what i was doing to get up into the cab......sure enough, i was grabbin at the wheel.
    knowin' just how marvelous those columns are highly engineered, i'll stop doing that..
    "Now my steering column has come loose and makes a knocking noise. "

Was that a result of not having running boards?
    If I remember correctly I used to grab the steering wheel while entering my old rado and the Titan. Maybe thats why I had the clunk in the steering ...lol.
    Knock knock...whose there?
    GM. GM who?

Gee, am I having problems with my new truck.
    so what are you runnin in these days Dean?

is babs still here?
  • hotel1hotel1 Member Posts: 50
    Last I seen of him he was a mod over at gm-trucks.com.
    But no posts in a while.............
    ">so what are you runnin in these days Dean?<"

Doh! guess i was asleep at the wheel...........Titan?....which Chevy model line is that from?
    just got an email reply from him....he dun got hitched........
    good luck on this one now!
    If I remember correctly he bought a house awhile back so was living in sin for awhile lmao.....

Me? I just bought a used Ranger with the tremor package. Since I didn't want to upgrade the radio in the Titan figure I'd buy a smaller truck with one already in it. Not bad for a stock system made by Pioneer that comes with a custom box in the extended cab.

So skytop1 did you look into the Escalade cluster?
    http://www.jpcustoms.com/store/customer/home.php?cat=270

Guess it depends on how bothersome the Denali cluster is as to whether or not you would want to go through the hassles of getting another. These guys will reprogram your new cluster with the mileage of your current one.

Looking at the Denali cluster I can see your problem.
    I did look at the Escalade SUV and truck dash which are the same. It is a different dash than what Chevy and GMC.
    I have been in communication with GMC support on my issues.

I have expressed my serious dissatisfaction and disappointment with the visibility and legibility difficulties of the poorly designed instrument cluster. I will post what the outcome is after I complete working with them.
    Today, I actually almost ran the fuel level almost to empty because the fuel gauge is not easily readable. I kid you not.
    The GMC current Sierra full page ads boldly proclaim "We examined everything. And overlooked nothing." GMC clearly is caught in a major pompous LIE. They may have examined the dash but clearly chose to ignore its many design problems (among many things) and they certainly overlooked plenty of glaring flaws, errors and a botched designs throughout the vehicle). I will never again believe any ad campaign from GM.
    I tried to use the factory provided trailer 7 spade plug located in the rear bumper. It did not work. The instruction manual is essentially moot on this subject and it doesn't even show up in the index. However, I found some info on page 371 that indicates the very important and vital hot battery feed wire is NOT connected nor is the trailer brake wire connected. It does not give info on the installation of these two wires but tells you to go go to the dealer. (Like we all have nothing better to do with our time than spend a day at the dealer).
    Here is the installation info I found. You must go into the engine compartment to connect the wires. There are TWO wiring harnesses that feed into the main fuse box sitting on the driver's side. One runs along the driver's fender wheel housing and the other snakes up from under the steering column. In both harnesses, there is a red wire with stripe wrapped inside the black tape covering. Once you extract these wires, they are properly labeled for absolute identification. The wire for battery 12v feed is wrapped in the LOWER harness that is below the steering column. The red wire in the fender mounted main harness is for the trailer brake. There are two threaded studs that are on the forward side of the fuse box. One (light colored stud) is connected through the large 30 amp fuse that the factory installed. The other dark colored stud needs to have a fuse installed if you choose to use it. These two power studs are provided to better allow proper secure attachment of accessory power feeds and is a good evolutionary improvement. I commend this design feature.
    Once I had the power feed wire properly connected, the trailer socket finally worked. Hope this helps others and saves headaches searching around.
    OK......what's gonna look best on a Black truck.............Chrome or Black?
    sorry to be so anal, but this is the first time i've owned a Black vehicle, and i want it to look cool...
    or less happy with them. I think he may have repainted it once or twice. Tim had polished stainless and I had the chrome. Guess my personal opinion is the chrome with the black. Then again bling is cool as long as there are no spinners lol.
    Black accessories on black paint become camouflaged and do not stand out. Chrome accessories pop on black.
    like he said....lol
    made my decision much easier
    Thanks very much for the link to JP. Nice looking clusters, for sure.
    The stock Denali cluster has the computer screen and interface switched from the dash. The clusters shown on their website are all the old 'classic'clusters. These are new '07's at http://wwww.jpcustoms.com/store/customer/home.php?cat=975

I emailed them to see if they take the stock cluster and just change the instrument faces while leaving all else the same thus maintaining total compatibility. The only Denali cluster they show is identical to the stock one. If you look at the Denali cluster on the website, you can easily see how drab, how hindering the chrome is, how lacking in needed contrast and difficult to read it is compared to the other high contrast Chevy cluster gauges.
    If your stumped by GMs decision to discontinue the
    plug n play trailer brake controller on the GMT-900s
    and having to hook up the mystery wiring under the
    hood to power the controller and hitch wiring up...

Check out this link w/pics:
    http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=64063&hl=brake+controller

Heres a link and pic to the underhood mystery wiring
    and where to connect it and where to put the fuse !
    http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,67334.20.html

............. :shades:
    This site,
    http://www.mycarstats.com/
    or:
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/tsbsearch.cfm
    or:
    https://www.infotraxx.com/

begins to provide availability of TSB info as well as a method to file complaint reports of defects to the office of defects investigation at NHTS.com
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

If you have a problem, review this site (free registration)and see what is on record or create a new file. This is a very good resource to educate and disseminate information on vehicle defects. It also helps the consumer deal with the service manager/dealer bull crap, ignorance and resistance you will undoubtedly encounter. Confront your dealer well prepared with the facts.
  • 04cad04cad Member Posts: 131
    Just took delivery of a 2007 Silverado extended cab new body style Z71. Wow, what an improvement over the 2006 and earlier models. I have been told the tonneau cover, bed liner and Westin running boards from the older body styles won't fit the new body style... yes or no?
    True. You need the new style components. Dimensions and mounting points are all new for the new body style '07s.
    Thanks I appreciate the fast reply. I really liked my 99-06 Silverados, but wow, I guess just the updated looks inside and outside really make the new style 07 stand out. I was pleasantly surprised that the ride is much better with the 07 also. I got the 18 inch wheels and tires on this one. Again thanks for the quick reply. :D
  • usafuserusafuser Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2004 Titan Crew 4x4 LE, but test drove one of the new 2007 crewcab silverados back in February at the Ocean Beach Auto Show...man, what an improvement by GM. Styling was outstanding and ride was VERY smooth. I owned a 1993 K1500 for nearly 10 years and absolutely loved it, but at 120K it started to show its age.

Has anyone looked at leasing options on the new Silverados?

Thanks, RDR
    what's your opinion on Pennzoil Platinum?
    Plus Arnold Palmer recommends Pennzoil and it meets GM 6094M specification (SAE 5W-30 and SAE 10W-30)

Only reason I stick to Mobil 1 is cause Costco carries it in 6 packs. Unfortunate for me, the 5.6 uses 6.5 quarts on changes.
    Does anyone know how the tonneau cover companies are addressing the difference in height of the tailgate plastic piece and the sides of the beds on the 2007 new body style pickups? In other words the plastic piece and the height of the tail gate as far as clearance to open and close the tail gate? :confuse: thanks
  • chevyman26chevyman26 Member Posts: 4
    Hi,
    I'm looking into buying a 2007 Silverado Max 6.0 liter, but I read an article on Edmunds describing a dyno test where the Silverado performed poorly. Mentioned something about being calibrated by the manufacturer and "closed loop" EFI timing.
    Basically, the Silverado won't kick into it's mean HP until you floor the gas for 4 seconds.
    Worse, a Silverado gets worse gas mileage and will get smoked off the line by a new Tundra or Titan. Terrible! The Silverado Max is a full second slower than the Tundra from 0-60 mph.
    Does anyone know if there is a chip or some sort of way to max out the HP without this 4 second rule?
    I'm a rookie at this posting thing, so please take it easy on me. Thanks.
  • bkerchakbkerchak Member Posts: 9
    I just purchased an 07 ext-cab new body style and several of the accessory dealers that I have visited here in SE Pennsylvania don't have tonneau covers for my truck....so I guess the cover companies are still work on the height difference !
  • 1offroader1offroader Member Posts: 208
    The plastic tailgate protector is removed, and repaced with a flatter one that doesn't stick way out past the tailgate. I also bought the plastic caps that cover the top of the bed sides. The side caps and the new tailgate cover are attached using double-back sticky tape. These caps prevent the tonneau seals from rubbing thru the paint.

I bought the SnugTop SL hard tonneau for my 07 Silverado Crew Cab (short bed) and like it very much. The color match is perfect and it fits nicely, too.

1offroader
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    There was a lively debate over this issue in our 2007 Chevrolet Silverado/GMC Sierra: First Impressions and Toyota Tundra vs. Chevrolet Silverado discussions when that test came out.

kcram - Pickups Host
    C-Man...........You have to ignore anything posted at edmunds about a non import !!!!!!!!!!
    Sometimes too much biased opnion.

What your prob. reading is the "digs" about GMs "torque
    management" programming. The uneducated call it different
    things. GM uses this on the 6.0 and 8.1 to improve driveline
    life (or so I read).
    Check this link for full TM info:
    http://fullsizechevy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123667

Yes the toyoyo 5.7 is faster in the 1/4 mile than
    the reg. 6.0 in their testing. The 6.0 max was not compared against the 5.7 !!!!!!!!
    Check out the gas vs. diesel tests over at http://www.pickuptruck.com
    The 6.0 gasser outran and out pulled the diesels in most tests !

The 07 GMT-900 6.0 6 speed auto is one awesome motor/ trans. setup compared to my 04 6.0.............
    GUYS.....There ARE certain brand truck cap that DO fit
    over the "whaletail" gate cap. Gotta search for them
    and they are $pendy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Been thru this on my buds "whaletail" equipped truck.

Easy solution: Remove whaletail and replace with a GM
    gate cap for a 2500 model! Cost $36 bucks !
    NOTE: Aftermarket auto store gate top covers may not work!

Why? The GM 2500 caps are longer on the bottom and cover the bolt holes in the gate. Most aftermarket covers don't!
    Also note that ALL GMT-800 GM tailgates have the holes from the factory and the gate cap covers them so you never see them.

Another note...if you pull the cap off your new GMT-900
    you will notice the top of your tailgate is like swiss cheese on the top of both sides!!!!!!!!!!! YEOW!
    Don't know why....So just be warned! :blush:
    The holes are probably for weight reduction just like race cars :D and to go along with the easy lift tailgate which really works by the way. I have ordered some Westin bars and an Extang Sabre tonneau cover for this truck so I will see how they work out, I don't plan on removing the whale tail, so I may have to put another layer of foam under the side rails of the tonneau, which is what the local dealer stated to do anyway. I got the bedliner today and since the dealer couldn't install it til Friday or Saturday, I brought it and the underliner home and put them in myself (no one home to help me). It took all of a half an hour and that included putting about ten pieces of foam tape in places I figured would rub that the underliner didn't cover. I ordered a Penda liner but I think the name of the one that came in was Trail X (may be made by Penda?) but it seems okay and fit fine. Thanks for all the responses, these sites are a wonderful source of info. :shades:
    Thanks! So it looks like Chevy is still going with its Torque management program on the '07 VMax? They use it to save wear on the tranny and to improve emissions, correct?
    Too bad it sacrifices so much acceleration. I need most of my power while accelerating with a load.

Basically, I go dirt biking in the sand dunes in SoCal. I park my truck and trailer in the sand and I need the power to tow in/out of the sand without getting stuck. Is it possible that the TM will hurt me in this situation b/c I wont be flooring it for 4 seconds? I really need the power right away before my tires sink into the sand. Please dont tell me that a Tundra would do a better job for me in this situation....It would be so disappointing. I really prefer the looks and feel of the Chevy after driving both trucks.

Also, do you know if there is a PCMforless or a programmer for the new Chevy trucks? Is there a way to remove the TM without making the shifting stiffer? Essentially, can you remove TM without affecting the feel of the tranny or anything else?

Thanks again.
    I believe the ARE brand hard tonneau fits over the stock whaletail gate cap. I didn't care for the look, though, but you might. It is not flat across the top, but has a noticeable "bubble", or ridge, across the top. The SnugTop is flat and looks more streamlined.

I have an aftermarket flat gate cap, it was part of the kit with the bed side cap covers. It IS long enough to completely cover the bolt holes, and fits about flush with the back edge of the tonneau. As I recall the entire cap kit was about $75.

1offroader
  • fhainesfhaines Member Posts: 7
    I will take delivery on my 2008 Silverado 1500 Crew LTZ in about three weeks (can't wait!). The dealer I am working with in CT tells me there is a 4-piece tonneau cover, that slides into a track, of similar design to the Avalanche 3-piece unit that works with the Cargo Management System and the 5-8 short bed. Apparently it is a GM accessory. Has anyone seen one? Does it even exist? At present no one in Parts Dept can show me a picture. There is no mention of it on the GM Accessory Zone Website. Any comments would be helpful.

Also, I have been reading the comments on the GM900's in this forum for the past two months, and it was very helpful in my final selection. Thanks in advance for any help one could offer.
    Not to worry!.........The TM is at its most restrictive in the 6.0 & 8.1s. 4.8 & 5.3s aren't as hampered !
    But neither will hurt your pulling power............

My 6.0 had NO problem yanking my big camper or pulling my
    big Wellcraft SanTropez' 36 footer up a boat ramp and out
    of the water! Observed many 4.7 Fords struggle with a 26 footer!
    It sounds like I should be able to get a tuner that is specific to my needs, right? All i'd want to do it reduce the TM, up the rev limiter, and get rid of the top speed limiter. Is this possible without changing the feel of the shifting? I'd want it to shift smoothly though. Do you know how this works?

Also, I dont think you can get a VMax with a 6.0/6-speed tranny combo in 2007. Looks like only the Sierra Denali offers the 6.2/6-speed right now. Any idea if Chevy will offer the 6-speed tranny in the 1500 VMax in 2008? Sounds like they are missing the boat right now with the Tundra offering a 6-speed with their 5.7l...Must be coming soon, no?
    Thanks for educating. Been helpful.
    I just finished a 4,700 mi. driving trip through the west and midwest - nev., utah, wyo., mont., iowa, s. dakota, nebr., colo. - beginning and ending in calif. I make a few observations of the numbers of new silverados I saw during the trip.

There are already lots of new 2007 chevys in what I call - "work truck land". You can see them hauling hay, pulling horse trailers, etc. Quite a few looked like they they are working hard and being put away wet - in other words, getting thoroughly used. The split looked fairly even between silverados and the bigger 2500 hd models. I saw literally 100s of both models.

Interestingly, there are many fewer gmc sierras. I saw almost no almost no tundras in "work truck land". Literally, almost none, and the few I did see were mostly in the bigger cities - Denver, Salt Lake, Las Vegas, etc. (I see far more percentage of tundras in los angeles than anywhere else I've been). Almost none are on the farms and ranches. Of the few I saw, they were almost all spotlessly clean and only one was obviously working on a ranch - it had a atv in the back. The atv has replaced the horse on many farms and ranches.

I have no observation for fords & dodges, since I am unable to tell the 2007s from the earlier ones. However, there are tons of fords and dodges in "work truck land". I'd say of all the pickups I saw (all years), fords were possibly the biggest percentage and chevy a close second.

This is just an informal poll taken over 2 weeks and lots of driving, so it is not definitive, However, based on that I think toyota has its work cut out. True, a sale is a sale even in the big city, but if toyota wants to be successful in selling big pickups it must crack the nut in "work truck land", where every other vehicle on the road is a pickup truck. So far, it is poorly represented where trucks are workin' for a livin'.

1offroader
    funny, about a week before i bought my NBS '07, a co-worker of mine and i had been discussing the looks of the new rado's......we both agreed it would not be a truck i'd want based on the classic look of the 99-02's...........but after one lap around the block in the '07 and i couldn't wait to sign the dotted line.......played the dealer/purchaser buyers game, hardly slept the night before the deal finally was made, but alas i own it and love the heck out of it..........it's the best Chevy i've owned yet.
    the trucks are like 1 out of 10 Rado's you see on any given street here in the Central valley, and they're definately hitting all age groups.....i was at the dealer on Tuesday to get the right side mouldings replaced as they were off from front to back (the only flaw i've found), and there was what looked like a high school kid buying the work truck version, and he was so excited that you'd have to be there to appreciate his excitement.
    one of our installers bought the 5.7 Tundra.......hardly anyone has even given it a glance......it's a Toyota right?
    the new Rado however got it's crowd....hehe
    what can i say, it's a Chevy eh?

i believe Chevy got it right for once, and has a winner.
    It was a Trail FX liner and fits and works fine so far. I bought a new Extang Sabre tonneau and it is a little different size than the one I had on my 06. It came with a little extra foam and foam shims to adjust the rear of the frame up to clear the whale tail. Easy to do and doesn't show at all once the tonneau cover is on and the tail gate clears fine. The frame also has an additional cross brace mounting point due to the middle clamp needing to be moved forward due to the pickup bed box design. I also got the new Westin chrome over stainless step bars and installed them. They mount using the body mount bolts. The difference from the 06 mounting is there is a center brace that goes from the step tube to the middle body mounting bolt and no added front and rear braces as in the past. Actually they were a lot easier to install than the 06's. I had a set of chrome over stainless Westin's that I bought in 1999 and transferred to each year truck through 2006 and they still looked like new when I let them go with the 2006. :)
    I ordered the Extang Sabre (like I had on my 06) for the new body style 07. It comes with some extra foam and some foam shims to put near the rear of the tonneau frame and once installed looks great and the shims don't show. It allows you to leave your tailgate whale tail in place and looks right. My first Exstang sabre lasted seven years with minimal care before it developed a pin hole and I replaced it last year. :)
  • nascar57nascar57 Member Posts: 47
    I am 22 yrs old and recently bought a new style Silverado, I absolutely LOVE this pickup. Everyone that has rode with me, even the ford and dodge guys, cant get over how smooth the ride is and how nice the pickup is inside and out. I also agree that GM really got it right with this new style. Right away I wasnt real crazy about the rear fender flares, but now after being around it, I absolutely love the look. Really distinguishes the GM's from the other brands. I'm up in North Dakota and also here, you are hard pressed to find one of the new tundras on the roads. You are seeing new Chevy's and GMC's probably 9-10:1 for the Tundras, but this is a state where you dont see many foreign vehicles period. If anyone hasnt driven a new Silverado, do so, it will make you want to sign the papers right away!
    GM has pulled another bone head design implementation that owners MUST be aware of for safety.

The large hood release lever is stupidly located immediately adjacent to where the driver will be resting his or her left foot. With very little trouble, the driver can accidently, unknowingly activate the hood latch while adjusting foot position and OPEN THE HOOD WHILE VEHICLE IS IN MOTION!!!!!! This is SUPER DANGEROUS!!! This happened to me today while I was on the highway doing 65 mph. Fortunately, there is a saftey latch that prevented the hood from blowing totally open, blocking my vision and causing me a serious accident or worse. What a scare I had!

This is yet another example of miserable design that is not only stupid but highly dangerous. "We examined everything and overlooked nothing" is GMC's motto. What a pompous display of false design bravado and load of bull crap. This vehicle is loaded with totally unacceptable botched dangerous problems. I am aggrivated and disgusted with my Denali truck.
    What did you drive previous to this truck? Call me curious.
    Had a Chevy 1/2 ton and a Ford 1 ton super duty. Been driving trucks all my adult life.
This discussion has been closed.