Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Durango Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I guess, if you are *very* careful, you can take a towel, bunch it up and place it over the air intake, to starve the engine of air. It will stall, and then take off your battery cables. You have to be sure not to get the towel caught in a fan, etc, so be very careful.

Probably you could also block the exhaust, but this would take a while to work.

Or you could pull the fuel pump fuse !! (maybe the best idea of the bunch).

Of course, if it's a stickshift, just stall it in gear and then take off the cables.

This sounds like a defective ignition switch.
  • kaykaywckaykaywc Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2004 Dodge Durango with a 5.7 Hemi engine that needs replacing. I found a 5.7 Hemi engine that was in a 2009 Dodge Ram. The Ram has a displacement system but mine does not. Will I be able to use the Ram's engine in my Durango? If there is anyone that can help me i would really appreciate it.
  • arod72arod72 Member Posts: 1
    I think that I way pass the problem of getting the heating core back flushed but I would like someone's opinion on that as well. I am currently experiencing radiator fluid on my driver side floor board and the mist coming out of the air vents. I would like to know if it is easier to take it to a mechanic or try to replace the heating core on my own like a diy project? I was told it was a 5 hour job, is this correct? Also I would like to know where the heating core is located in the 2000 Dodge Durango? Does this always go out on Dodge Durango? From my research are there two heater cores in the Dodge durango? What would the price of the labor be on a job such as this replacing the heating core? :cry: :sick:
  • dani18dani18 Member Posts: 3
    My Durango is a 99,it sat for 3 years with no engine. I decided to fix it & I took it to a local shop.My uncle had been working on it & had a heart attack. The shop owner put in a used engine,and now it will not start. He had it for 3 weeks & called & stated its not firing. Is it expensive to rewire an suv, or is it even worth it? I have heard of guys buying salvaged cars & completely restoring them. How costly is this,please help someone. I'm in need of my spare truck & now I've spent 1400& still can not drive it?
    I realize that every mechanic has a bad day, but really, if he can't get a truck to start after 3 weeks, he should have called in some help. Unlike the mysteries of outer space, a truck engine is a knowable system that can be deciphered. Modern shops have all kinds of nifty diagnostic tools and on-line data resources.

In short, this is not a great performance. I do sympathize with the fact that some vehicles can drive a man crazy, but this is when you push harder for your customer and find the resources you need. You don't just give up.
  • dkphoenixdkphoenix Member Posts: 3
    I am having some problems similar. Seems to start with 'trouble shifting up' in gears...(after my previous 2 transmission jobs)...on way home from a friends wake in another state. Then, it seemed the more I drove, the slower the engine would make me go...55....50....45....40 without shifting. Would have the sound it was 'trying' to. I have to admit, I AM HIGHLY DISAPPOINTED!!! I WILL NOT do a 3rd transm job on this!!! I made myself THAT PROMISE after the 2nd in just 2yrs. I AM DONE!!!! Good luck
  • mkpjumpmkpjump Member Posts: 2
    2000 Dodge Durango V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 182000 miles

My vehicle overheated one evening, and I immediately pulled off the road. Coolant was leaking out after I pulled over and there was still considerable volume. I had the car towed and the radiator replaced. I picked the car up that evening and drove it about half a mile to my home, and it stalled as I pulled it into the garage. I had not had stall issues for 3 months since replacing the IAC module. The fuel was also running rich, which had not been doing prior to the radiator replacement. Any ideas on what could be wrong? No check engine lights, and I can detect only a minor change in the engine idle when I turned it back over (so slight that a very skilled mechanic would not notice the idle was off).
  • j_rj_r Member Posts: 2
    My 2000 is doing the same! I'm thinking the cat is plugged. I 'm waiting on a responce to my posting. I’m trying to find out if anyone has installed a tuned exhaust on a 2000 5.9 Durango, and removed the cat?? I’ve being told due to the sensor after the cat you can’t!! I’m not so sure about that!! Need help? Has any one tried it?
  • tmekatmeka Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with my 2006 Durango. If you find any answers I would appreciate if she shared the knowledge.

Thanks in Advance,

Tmaka
  • jvillate01jvillate01 Member Posts: 2
    My 2003 Dodge Durango, 4.7 liters, V8 starts overheating after towing my 5,000 lb boat, for a period of 30 minutes. Iy has about 83,000 miles, but runs great when its not towing the boat. It only happens when I go a long distance. Can someone PLEASE tell me whats going on? :(
    So the boat is 5,000? or the boat + trailer. If you are towing 5K boat weight + trailer weight plus whatever is in the truck itself besides yourself, then you are pushing the limit of your truck's tow capacity and it's working too hard.

If the 5K includes boat trailer and truck cargo, then I'd suggest an aftermarket transmission cooler if you don't have one. If you do have one, you might have your radiator flow-tested.

Also check tire pressures carefully.
  • jvillate01jvillate01 Member Posts: 2
    My 2003 dodge Durango's AC vent gates stick and it seems the AC control works. The AC blows hard, but I cannot change the vent direction from top to the bottom or other because if I do, it will not change back to blow forward it will stick in the position I change it to. One Chrysler dealer told me it cost $1,000 to fix (That it wasn’t under my extended guarantee), but I took it to another and they fixed it under the warranty. Now, it’s happening again. Any suggestions? I don’t know to trust the Chrysler dealer, first not to try and charge me and then that they will not fix it correctly. Does anyone know if this is covered under the Dealers extended guarantee? What is happening with the vents?
  • tlc391tlc391 Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 Dodge Durango 4.7 liter V-8 is getting no power to the fuel injector #6, how can i fix this?
  • thunderchildthunderchild Member Posts: 18
    The last time that happened to me it was a clogged ctatlytic converter. The **** thing went bad and clogged up my exhaust. Got a new one and all went well on that car. Sounds like you are having the same problem.
  • thunderchildthunderchild Member Posts: 18
    Sounds to me like you are overworking your engine. Does your D have the factory tow package? This package comes with additional coolers for the fluids. You can check it by calling the dealer and giving them your vin number. If not you can buy coolers from aftermarket everywhere. Just Google it.
  • jmr1125jmr1125 Member Posts: 2
    I was driving last night and it felt like the entire front end fell into a pot hole. I even looked behind me to see what happened. Then I realized that it was not the street, it was the engine then the emission light came on. The Durango did not make any bad noise, did not blow smoke, nothing leaked out of the bottom and the MANUAL said it was ok to keep driving ??? When you press on the gas pedal to move from a full stop, it really takes probably about 1/4 of the way to the floor to get it to move and the engine if revvving he whole time.
    I have the 100K warranty and brought it to my dealer - The vehicle has 66K and is at the dealership now - Anybody have any ideas what it might be?
  • catniprcatnipr Member Posts: 6
    My mechanic said that the P0700 code is the "Transmission Control Module". He wants to charge me 345.00 to replace it. My check engine light is not coming on anymore, however, the code is still there. My mechanic said the module might be malfunctioning. He said to drive the car as long as the check engine light isn't coming on, but I will need to eventually replace the part. This isn't going to hurt my transmission or engine will it?

I've gone to Kragen, Auto Zone, and looked on line for this part to see if I can get it cheaper and no one carries it. Could it be that my car doesn't have one or is this a dealer part only. My car is a 4.7 liter 2000 Dodge Durango SLT.
    Everyone is jumping the gun here. Computer trouble codes do NOT tell you which part is defective. No computer can do that (yet). The Trouble Code (DTC) is only telling the mechanic to check further into the TCM circuit----first he should check each wire in the TCM harness for a good ground---if there is a weak or no light with his test light, then it's a harness issue, not a TCM issue.

The TCM might have an internal problem or it might not. The DTC should be erased from the computer and then everyone should wait to see if it comes back on the engine light. If it does, then the first thing is to do the appropriate diagnostics on the plug that connects to the TCM, to see if there is a bad ground in this circuit.

Otherwise, you'll be blowing hundreds of dollars for nothing.
    The mechanic did check the wiring harness and there were no problems found. How do you erase the the DTC? The check engine light is not on after he replaced the transmission speed sensor but the P0700 code still comes up. I will have the mechanic check the plug to the TCM.

Would this also fix the problem that he said he did a diagnostic Steps 1-3 and step 7 and found when in drive or reverse, input RPM's go to "0" and when in park or neutral, RPM's are okay?
    Okay.

The code is erased with the scan tool.

I don't really understand your other comment, sorry.
    When the mechanic was performing the diagnosic, it also came up with a "Engine speed input circuit malfunction." (P0725) The RPM's would go to "0" when he would put the car in drive or reverse and would be normal when he had it in park or neutral. I'm not sure if this is a separate issue or may be part of the possible Transmission Control Module problem.

You said that a scan tool can erase the codes. Do I have to go to a mechanic to have this done or can I purchase it? About how much do they cost.
    I think Chrysler uses a special scan tool---DRB or something like that.

Here's an interesting article on SCAN TOOLS
  • mucunamucuna Member Posts: 19
    assuming its an automatic, I suspect the torque converter or the tranny soft pack (belts etc.). Good you have the warranty. This could be 1000's to repair.
  • mucunamucuna Member Posts: 19
    Keep it in mind that there is a common harness grounding problem exclusive to the 2000 durango. It originates from a failure of the power steering sensor which allows power steering fluid to slowly wick (over a period of months) through the entire ground wiring of the main harness. This creates all kinds of codes and system failures. The worst of these- it affects the readings from the O2 sensors to the PCM creating extremely rich fuel mixtures, soot and poor gas mileage. Another system affected is the idle control (erratic) and engine codes start popping on for the fuel injectors. It is at least a possibility that it could ground out the tranny sensor and create "pending failure" codes (these do not trigger the engine light but show up in the OBD history. These pre-engine light codes can make you fail a smog test.
    Look at "o2 sensor nightmare" message streams in this forum if you want to learn more about this serious flaw in the 2000 durango.
    man, what a weird problem. Who ever figured THAT one out?
  • dodgeposdodgepos Member Posts: 1
    After a recent rain, I got into may 2000 Durango and found that the radio, rear wiper, dome lights and power mirror adjustment were no longer working. I checked the fuse panel to the left of the dash and the fuse/relay panel behind the battery in the engine compartment. All the fuses check out ok. I even replaced the radio fuse just in case it was blown where I couldn't see it. Still nothing. Inside the fuse cover there was a notation about circuit breakers????? I could not find where they are located.
    Does anyone know where to find these circuit breaker or do they even exist? What else can I be looking for?
    I bought this used and there was no manual with it.
  • themeangreen98themeangreen98 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1998 Dodge Durango , recently I been having trouble starting it in the morning. I therefore went out and replaced the battery , sparkplugs etc. It then started fine for a day or two , but as of yesterday I have been having the same problem. The computer reads error code P1682 , I know what the code means , but cannot find any solutions for it online. What should I do????????????
  • jmr1125jmr1125 Member Posts: 2
    Last year in the rain I got out of my 2006 with the engine running, opened & shut the hatch and all the locks locked. I thought it was my fault. A few days later, in a heavy rain, my wipers stopped working and my headlights would not turn off and the engine would not stop running with the key out of the ignition. After I got the truck to turn off after driving it around the block in the rain, the lights were going on and off all night long by themselves. What it was -was I had had a windsheild replaced a year before that and they did not seal it correctly and water was pouring onto the computer component and fried it. The dealership had to do wind/air/water seal test on the windsheild to make sure of this and then I had to get a new windsheild. At first the windsheild co. said it was fine but when I explained the liability side of the car turning off or "doing what the compter wanted to do" they changed it no questions asked.
  • gossomerrgossomerr Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2010
    I have a 1999 Dodge Durange 5.2L SLT. My rear brakes started to lock up. The first thing we found was that the e-brake had come apart and jammed the wheel. That was fixed and didnt resolve the issue. Next we changed the master cylinder. That didn't resolve the issue. Next we have changed the RWAL valve (proportion valve). That has also not resolved the issue. The issue is with both rear wheels. Any suggestions???
  • dee81877dee81877 Member Posts: 2
    We are having the same problem but the emission light goes on and off. When the emission light goes off, the vehicle drives normal. I have no clue what it could be! Does anyone have any answers?
    I just had my car serviced and the mechanic told me that my rear and front differentials and my transfer case has leaks. I just had the rear and front differentials serviced about 6 months ago. It sounds serious and wondered how much it would cost to have this fixed. I have a 2000 4.7 Dodge Durango 4wd and it has about 232,000 miles on it.
    Well there are "leaks" and then there is a kind of "weeping". If you lift the car and see fluid actually dripping out, or the underside washed with oil streaming back from the XFR case or DIFF, then yeah, you'll be losing considerable fluid over time and you need to attend to it. But if there is only a small damp spot and a minor weep---given the miles on your truck---I think I'd just keep an eye on it and not do anything.
    It must just be weeping because there are no spots on the ground. I assume that if was actually leaking then there would be drips on the ground. I will keep an eye on it. Thank you
    Taking things apart to fix a small "weep" could even make things worse.
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    Are they leaking out of the front seals, the cover, or those rubber plugs they use instead of threaded plugs in the fill/check hole? That would make a difference. A small seal leak isn't a big deal unless you let it go without refilling the differential for a long time. If the cover is leaking then it should be fixed since gravity will cause fluid to come out all the time. If it's the plug, you can just change it yourself (those plugs get old, hard and shrink over time).
    I'm not sure. I can't see the front differential unless I get under the car, but the back one seems to be moist around half of it. No drips on the ground though from any of the differentials or the transfer case. I'm not sure where the transfer case is. I am really good about having my car serviced (oil changes) at 3000 miles and they always add to the differentials and transfer case if needed. I just had the differentials serviced about 7000 miles ago. I am due for a transfer case service though.

If it's the covers that are leaking is that very expensive?
  • ladydee65ladydee65 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I'm a female so seeing the engine come on is going to always freak me out. I just got an oil change around early july, the engine light was on then and had it diagnosed and said something with feul injection;so got a fuel injection serv. done 2 weeks ago; then last week the radiator overheated because it was empty( I thougth jiffy lube looked at this); so I bought a new hose and got it flushed; the engine light went off for a couple of days and now it is back on. I had it diagnosed again by a friend and said the codes were reading fuel injection cap off? and emissions leak. About how much will this cost me? It is a 2000 Durango, 153,000 miles.
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    So replacing the hose fixed the problem with the radiator leak?
    Do you know what the codes retrieved were? P0442 is one I was getting on my 2000. It indicates a small leak in the evap control system. One of the hoses had small leak that I repaired.
    If you had codes set for an injector problem then I doubt if a "fuel injection service" would have any lasting effect. Most times the codes are only an indicator of where to start looking, not the actual fault.
  • BreznikBreznik Member Posts: 3
    My vehicle only has 67 thous on the engine. It has been over heating since I bought it a year ago. It only over heats up hill or when pulling something. I have replaced the thermostat the clutch fan. The water pump is not loose or leaking and the radiator fluid is presteen. When I check the fluid level in the radiator it is full, but the overflow is always empty. After I replaced the clutch fan it stopped. That was last summer, but it just started heating up again. The dial is almost to the H. Anyone have any ideas? Is the radiator too small?
    Debbie :)
  • tietz99tietz99 Member Posts: 2
    About 2 months ago, our Dodge Durango began making a vibrating type noise when on but only when idling. This noise disappears when one of two things happen (1 when I am moving, or two when I turn off the AC). Anyone else had this issue with a Dodge and know what it could be?
  • tietz99tietz99 Member Posts: 2
    The AC in my 2002 Dodge Durango SLT Plus only works at the highest speed. From the posts I see pretty clearly that it is the blower motor resistor that is most likely the cause. The posts say that there are two screws located just to the left of the blower fan. For the life of me I can not find these screws. Any diagrams out there to assist me in locating this. ...Seems like a pretty easy and cheap repair once I'm able to find where the heck the part is.
    Sounds like you are towing sometimes? You might need a transmission oil cooler if you don't have one on the optional towing package.

Overheating can be a very tricky thing to diagnose. Since you are losing coolant, I'd have a pressure test done on the cooling system, and I'd extract a few spark plugs while the system is under pressure, just to check for the outside chance of a head gasket leak (you'll see coolant on the plug tips).
  • moosymaemoosymae Member Posts: 1
    about 2 maybe 3 weeks ago i was driving and when i went to back in to a place i put it in gear and as soon as my foot came off the break the rig shut off on its own..i had to put it back in park and re start it and everything was fine..it did this a couple of times but our battery really needed replaced so we thought it was that..we replaced the battery and everything was going well until yeasterday..i tried 4 different times in a row to move the rig after starting it and putting it in reverse it shut off everytime...then the fifth time trying to start it it wouldn't even turn over or make any kind of sound...i let it sit for an hour or two and tried it again and eveyting was just fine it was like nothing ever happened.... :confuse:
  • draw32draw32 Member Posts: 1
    is there a recet switch for fuelpump on 88 durango
  • durangohemi06durangohemi06 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have searched this forum for this problem and see others have encountered he same issue. However I didnt see what the solution to this was.

I put in a new battery and the cargo lamp and tire pressure light came on. Called my Dodge dealer and they wanted to charge me what seemed like a very high cost to diagnose the problem. Obviously my cargo light and tire pressure is good since I've checked them both and found this problem to be common

Any help would be appreciated and my wife says thank you in advance.
  • rchiirchii Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2010
    Hello,

I would like to thank all of you for your assistance with our 2000 Durango during the time we had it. Without your expertise and real world experience with these vehicles, I would have had a hard time diagnosing ours. We have sold ours and have moved cross country to New Mexico (much different than Virginia). Now I have to start working on my Ram truck, it is getting terrible gas mileage here. I suspect it is the altitude change. We are now at about 5300 feet as apposed to the 1200 feet we were at in Virginia. Guess it is time to sell my factory Durango manual set and get the Ram set. Hey!, anybody need a full set of factory manuals for the 2000 Durango?

Again, thank you all for your help.

Sincerely!
    Bob
  • durangofandurangofan Member Posts: 21
    I could use your Durango manuals!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Please take it to email - we don't buy and sell on the forums. You can mark your email public in your Profile. Thanks.
  • laspianlaspian Member Posts: 2
    It's hard to describe but my '00 Durango lurches when driving and stopping. Even traveling at a constant speed, it lurches as if it's not sure what gear to be in. Same with slowin down - it sometimes makes a thud and jumps forward a bit. Any ideas?
  • thixsonthixson Member Posts: 1
    Ok so I have a 98 durango that I need some help with I was driving down the road when it shut off once it shut off I tried to crank it again but it would not start nor would it jump off so I towed it home took the battery and the alternator to have it tested and the battery was bad alternator was good bought a new batery but still would not crank tested the distributor to see if it was getting fire and everything there was good so I'm kinda stuck on what it could be my next guess would be the fuel pump if so how long and how hard would you so it is to replace one???