Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 6-Series Lease Questions

kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,768
edited May 2015 in BMW
To talk about the latest lease details for the current model, please visit the 2015 BMW 6 Series Lease Questions forum.

You can also research local dealer inventory and pricing, reviews, features, and specifications on Edmunds 2015 BMW 6 Series page.

Edmunds Price Checker
Edmunds Lease Calculator
Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Comments

• kevhollywoodkevhollywood Member Posts: 12
    What's the current lease program on the 650i convertible for 24 and 36 month leases at 15K/year.

Thanks.
  • csanchezcsanchez Member Posts: 4
    Edmund's Forum is a great place for information.

What would be a fair lease on both autos above. 12000 miles, 36 months, zero down in NJ. What would be the money factor for a great credit rating?

I thank you in advance for feedback.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hey kevhollywood. BMW is not currently providing any sort of lease support on the 2006 6-Series. As a result, if you were to lease one through BMW Financial Services right now, you would have to use its standard lease money factor of .00280. BMW FS' residual value for a 24 month, 15,000 miles per year lease of a 2006 BMW 650i convertible is currently 69%. The residual for an otherwise identical 36 month lease is 59%. You may want to consider leasing an '05 645 Convertible. For the first time ever, BMW introduced lease support on it last month. Its current buy rate lease money factor is only .00145, plus you should be able to negotiate a bigger discount on it.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper / Prices Paid Forums
    I'm glad that you enjoy the forums so much, csanchez. I would be happy to estimate what your lease payments should be like on the above vehicles using BMW's current lease program for you, however in order for me to do so I need you to provide me with their full MSRPs (with the destination charge added in) and approximate selling prices. Let me know and I will let you know. See my previous post for info on what these cars' lease money factors are currently like. Thanks.

Car_man
    Host
  • csanchezcsanchez Member Posts: 4
    Car Man: Thxs for responding, you were a great help on Lexus SC400 and GS300 that I have leased. I have seen I have seen the previous post regarding money factor which is helpful. Using BMW FS payment estimator on 2006 650i Coupe.
    MSRP 72495 (includes dest charge added, with sport pack $1800 and Cold Weather $750. Total is $75045, But BMW FS shows AMT Financed at $75670, with payments of $1376/Month for 36 months at 12000 miles, and I have a great credit rating. I realize in reading that these cars are selling at MSRP. Would $1376/month be a good price or can it be better? Again, thank you in advance for your help.
    You're very welcome csanchez. Let's calculate a lease payment on a 2006 BMW 650i Coupe with an MSRP of $74,420 and a capitalized cost of $75,045 (with the acquisition fee added in). According to my calculations, this car should have a zero down, pre-tax 36 month, 12,000 miles per year monthly payment of around $1,180 with the payment of a security deposit. That's the payment that you should shoot for, less if you can negotiate any sort of discount.

Car_man
    Host
  • rusty15rusty15 Member Posts: 2
    I am about to lease a 650 coupe (MSRP $79,400). The first quote I was given for 36 months, 15K miles a year , no money down was $1380. Any thoughts.
    Hi rusty15. I would be happy to give you my opinion on the deal that you were quoted, however you never mentioned the selling price of the car that you are interested in leasing. This is an important number for you as a consumer to know for two reasons. First, the selling prices of leased vehicles can be negotiated, just as if you were paying cash for them. Without knowing the price of the car that you want to lease you don't know how good a price you are getting it for. The second reason is that one needs the selling price of a vehicle that they want to lease is that it is necessary to calculate its lease payment.

Car_man
    Host
  • rusty15rusty15 Member Posts: 2
    The selling price is $77636.21. Thanks for your help.
    Thanks for the additional information, rusty15. It appears as though you are being given a little over a $1,700 discount on a car that has over a $6,000 spread between its full MSRP and invoice price. As you can see, there is a lot of room to play with there. I am not sure exactly how much more of a discount you can negotiate on this car in your area right now, but you may want to see if you can get the price a little lower. For now, I will calculate a lease payment on the car that you are interested in using the prices that you were quoted and BMW's actual lease program so we can see if the dealer that you are working with is trying to mark-up your lease any. According to my calculations, if you were to lease a 2006 BMW 650i Coupe with an MSRP of $79,400 and a selling price of $77,636 through BMW Financial Services for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, your zero down, pre-tax monthly payment should be around $1,224. Unless the payment you were quoted includes tax, or you are having your car's security deposit or acquisition fee waived something is not right with the payment that you were quoted.

Car_man
    Host
  • keno2keno2 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Car_man. I was hoping you could help w/ info on a lease for a 650i convertible. MSRP $84745 (including destination charge $695 and Gas Guzzler tax of $1700). Negotiated price is $81745. I'd be interested in 36 or 48 mo leases w/ 12k/yr. Thanks for your help.
    I would be happy to help you out, keno2. Acording to my calculations, if you were to lease a 2006 BMW 650i Convertible with an MSRP of $84,745 and a selling price of $81,745 through BMW Financial Services right now for 36 months with 12,000 miles per year, your zero down, pre-tax monthly payment should be around a whopping $1,237. The payment for an otherwise identical 48 month lease should be around $1,190.

Car_man
    Host
  • carinmcarinm Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to lease a 2006 BMW 650i with an MSRP of about $85,000. I'm not getting quotes like the one you gave keno2 on November 21st. I too want a 36 month lease, 12,000 miles per year, zero down. I'm gettting told that the cars are selling at MSRP and that with $5,000 down my payments including tax would be $1400. I'm in Southern California. Can you give me any tips on how to actually lease a car for the payments your talking about. I have perfect credit.
    Hi carinm. Your car's lease payment will depend upon what sort of a price you are able to negotiate on it. If you were to lease a 2006 BMW 650i with an MSRP of about $85,000 without receiving any sort of discount through BMW FS for 36 months with 12,000 miles per year, its zero down, pre-tax monthly payment would be around $1,354. A whopping $5,000 down payment would reduce the monthly payment for this lease to around $1,200, but is not a good idea. I always advise consumers against making any sort of down payment when leasing. I do so for two main reasons. The first is if your vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen during your lease, your insurance company pays off the bank that you were leasing it through and your down payment essentially disappears. The second main reason is that down payments on leased vehicles do nothing to reduce their lease-end purchase prices. So your lease-end purchase option price for your 6-Series would be exactly the same, regardless of whether you had put $5,000 down, or had made absolutely no down payment at all.

Focus on trying to get this car for less than full MSRP. A $1,000 discount would reduce the aforementioned lease payment to around $1,323 and a $2,000 discount would drop it to $1,292.

Car_man
    Host
  • kjwbmwm5kjwbmwm5 Member Posts: 17
    Car_Man,

Looking at a lease for either a 2005 645 Coupe or a 2006 650 Coupe, depends on the deal and availability. However what I would like to know are the Money Factors and residuals for both cars this month for a 36 month Lease with 12,000 miles per year. Can you please help? Thanks, kjw
    Hi kjwbmwm5. If you were to lease a 2006 BMW 650 Coupe through BMW Financial Services right now for 36 months with 12,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00285 and 59%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a 2005 BMW 645 Coupe should be a much more attractive .00145 and 58%.

Car_man
    Host
  • njwlognjwlog Member Posts: 10
    Car_man

Do you know if BMWFS is still offering this special lease rate on remaining '05 645 convertibles?

njwlog
    Hey njwlog. Unfortunately, the only 2005 model that BMW is still providing lease support on is the Z4. I don't even think that BMW Financial Services will lease 2005 6-Series models any longer. If you want to lease one now, you probably would have do to so through an independent bank.

Car_man
    Host
  • wirefreewirefree Member Posts: 4
    Car Man,

Here is my situation, I'm currently in a lease on a 2003 745i. I have about a year left and I wanted to trade in the car for a new 650i and my question is, am I going to take a big hit when I trade in?

Here is what I was offered for the 650i-
    $71,890-base w/out options
    $78,545-after options
    12k/year 36 months
  • bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    Call BMWFS and get your 745i payoff. Don't just add up the remaining payments.... Get their payoff quote. You can get an idea of what your car might trade in for via Edmunds or KBB. FYI, auction prices right now are at an average of about $38k for 40k miles.
  • 06hse06hse Member Posts: 4
    I got the dealer to give me $39,000 for my car, I owe $46,000. They gave me a money factor of .00350 and residual of 57%, I feel like I'm not get the best deal with the credit rating that I have. I thought average money factor was around .00285? Anyway let me know what you think.

Can you work out the payments for me for me?

2006 650i
    $78545 (after options)
    12k/year 36,000 miles
    Hi wirefree. I can't say for certain, but I suspect that you probably will have to pay a decent chunk of change to get out of your current lease a year early. As far as the lease on the 650i that you are considering goes, I would be happy to estimate what your lease payment should be on it if you provide me with its MSRP. If the number that you mentioned in your post is the MSRP, then I need you to provide me with its selling price.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi 06hse. BMW is not currently providing any sort of lease support on the 2006 650i. As a result, if you were to lease one through BMW Financial Services right now, you would have to use its standard lease program. BMW's standard money factors have increased since you last saw them. I believe that BMW FS' standard lease money factor varies slightly by region, but in most areas it is currently .00300 with the payment of a security deposit and a $625 acquisition fee. BMW will waive its security deposit requirement in exchange for an increase of .00015 in a vehicle's money factor. BMW will waive its acquisition fee requirement in exchange for an increase of .00035 in a vehicle's money factor. If both of these items are being waived, that would bring this car's base money factor to .00350. If you are paying one or both of them, the dealer that you are working with is marking up your car's money factor to add additional back-end profit to your deal. This sort of thing is completely legal and happens all the time, but usually can be avoided by consumers who know what their car's buy rate money factor should be. I'd be happy to estimate what this car's lease payment should be for you, but in order for me to do so I need both its MSRP and its selling price. You provided one of them in your post, though I am not sure which one it was. Let me know the other and I will crunch some numbers for you.

Car_man
    Host
  • bgarbbgarb Member Posts: 1
    Hi Car man,

I am looking at leasing a 2006 650 with a msrp of 79,100 for $76,660. The lease I am looking at is a five year lease that is assumable and the company says they can get me out of the lease in three years with some money to spare as their residual at the time will be $50,000 as opposed to $40,000 direct from BMW. The payments they are offering are $1,250 including tax. What do you think of this deal.

Thanks
    Hi bgarb. Never believe a salesperson who tells you to lease for a really long term because they will be able to get you out of your lease early. It is usually fairly expensive to get out of leases well before their scheduled end dates. Salespeople tell consumers that they can get them out of their vehicles early all the time, to suck consumers into leasing vehicles that they might not normally want to lease for a shorter term because of how high the lease payment is. How does your sales person know how much your car will be worth three years from now or how much his dealership will be willing to give you for it then? He doesn't. If I was in your situation, I personally wouldn't lease this car for more than 36 models or so. Let's see what a lease payment for that length lease would be. According to my calculations, if you were to lease a 2006 BMW 650Ci Convertible with an MSRP of $79,100 and a selling price of $76,660 through BMW Financial Services right now for 36 months with 12,000 miles per year, your zero down, pre-tax monthly payment should be around $1,204.

Car_man
    Host
  • carcrazy12carcrazy12 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Car Man, I am in the market for a Bmw 650i with an MSRP of $73,590. This is my first time asking for a quote i have not yet searched at dealers for any prices. I thought i would get your calculations first. I want to lease the car for 36-48 months which ever is cheaper for 12k per year and 2-4k down payment. Thanks
  • seth2seth2 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Car Man,

An Atlanta dealer quoted me a purchase price for an '06 650i of $75,100. For a 36mo 15k miles per year lease they quoted a monthly payment of $1415.93 but want $2600 for an initial payment they say. The rate quoted was .00343 which seems high as I have outstanding credit. This deal seems expensive considering the purchase price compared to others. What gives? Thanks!
  • drkingdrking Member Posts: 2
    For a purchase price of $80,400; 36 mo., 12K miles, only $160 down for registration, tag, etc. what should I expect the monthly payments before taxes to be? What rate?

Also located in Atlanta.
    Hi carcrazy12. I can't estimate what this car's lease payment should be without knowing what its selling price is, but I can give you an idea of what its lease program is currently like. If you were to lease a 2006 BMW 650Ci through BMW Financial Services right now for 36 months with 12,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be an unattractive .00300 and 54%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 48 month lease should be .00300 and 43%.

I notice that you mentioned making a down payment of as much as $4,000 on this car. I always advise consumers against making any sort of down payment when leasing. I do so for two main reasons. The first is if your vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen during your lease, your down payment essentially disappears. The second main reason is that down payments on leased vehicles do nothing to reduce their lease-end purchase prices. So your lease-end purchase option price for your 6-Series would be exactly the same, regardless of whether you had put $4,000 down, or had made absolutely no down payment at all.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi seth2. This car's current buy rate lease money factor is .00300 with the payment of a security deposit equivalent to your monthly payment rounded up to the nearest $50 increment. Make sure to insist that this factor is used to calculate your car's lease payment. As far as your initial payment goes, at lease signing you will have to pay your car's first month;s payment, the aforementioned security deposit, BMW Financial Services' $625 acquisition fee, any capitalized cost reduction that you choose to make (this should be $0), and any required state taxes or fees.

Car_man
    Host
    Hello drking. I would be happy to estimate what this car's lease payment should be for you, but in addition to the selling price that you mentioned, I also need you to provide me with its full MSRP (including the destination charge).

Car_man
    Host
  • carcrazy12carcrazy12 Member Posts: 2
    How much would the lease be on the 650i and lets say the selling price is $73,590 for 36 months and 12k miles per year.
  • drkingdrking Member Posts: 2
    MSRP of $84440.
  • umolleumolle Member Posts: 1
    Hi car_man I have been looking and was just quoted for a fully loaded 2006 650i with everything from sport package to cold weather package and premium sound and wheel upgrade. Here are the details MSRP $84,440, residual 58%, cap cast selling $83,240, 12K miles per year, 39 month lease, $1323 inc tax, and final $2600 total due for taxes,DMV,and some kind of bank fee, and my first month car payment was include in the $2600. He also told me my money factor was .00260. My credit fico score was 790. Is this a good deal in your experience.
    I would be happy to estimate what this car's lease payment should be for you, carcrazy12. However, in order for me to do so I need you to provide me with its full MSRP. Let me know and I'll run some numbers.

Car_man
    Host
    Thanks for the additional information, drking. OK, if you were to lease a 2006 BMW 650Ci Convertible with an MSRP of $84,440 and a selling price of $80,400 through BMW Financial Services right now for 36 months with 12,000 miles per year, your zero down, pre-tax monthly payment should be around $1,295.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi umolle. It looks to me as though the lease that you were quoted for this car is not being run through BMW Financial Services. Not only is BMW FS' money factor for this car higher than the one that you were quoted, .00310 versus .00260, but I do not believe that BMW is currently offering 39 month leases on this model. The previous poster reported getting a lower selling price than the one that you were quoted, but this can vary a lot depending upon what area one is in. For the sake of comparison, I will estimate what this car's lease payment should be for you using BMW FS' lease program. According to my calculations, if you were to lease a 2006 BMW 650Ci Convertible with an MSRP of $84,440 and a selling price of $83,240 through BMW FS right now for 36 months with 12,000 miles per year, your zero down, pre-tax monthly payment should be around $1,383.

Car_man
    Host
  • l0m6905l0m6905 Member Posts: 12
    why should the capitalized cost reduction be zero?
    I leased a new 525i & the capitalized cost was $4,187 & they waived the security deposit.

Please help car_man
  • nlproductionsnlproductions Member Posts: 25
    Carman:

What is the current BMW lease program for the 650 Coupe on a 15K/36MO? :confuse: What's the current residual and money factor given top tier credit with BMW finance?

Thanks Car_Man!!!
    Hey l0m6905. It is in your best interest as a consumer not to make any sort of capitalized cost reduction when leasing. The main reason for this is if your vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen during the course of your lease, your down payment essentially disappears. When leasing a BMW, a much better use of your money is to make additional security deposits. BMW will reduce the money factor that is used to calculate a vehicle's lease payment by .00007 (up to a maximum of 7) for each additional deposit that lessees make. Making multiple deposits lowers vehicles' lease payment and as an added benefit, consumers get all of their additional deposits back at lease-end.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi nlproductions. According to the latest information that I have seen, if you were to lease a 2006 BMW 650 Coupe through BMW Financial Services right now for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be around .00310 and 52%, respectively. This is BMW's standard lease money factor and it varies slightly depending what part of the country one is in.

Car_man
    Host
  • andysroverandysrover Member Posts: 2
    I have a 650 ci with 100 miles. What do you think I should get on a trade in for a 06 Range Rover SC listed at $72500. They are offering me 69K on my car. My payments would be 1250/mo for 18k miles/year. Is this payment fair? SOunds high to me. They will not budge on the rand rover from $72,500. My payoff on the 650 is $67,000.
    Wow you really must not like the 650 to want to trade it in with only 100 miles on it, andysrover. I am not personally sure what you would be able to get for it as a trade at this point, but you may be able to get an idea by asking this question in the following discussion: "Real-World Trade-In Values".

Car_man
    Host
  • drleasedrlease Member Posts: 7
    BMW FS program is not strong on the 650's and I'm not sure why. A lot of the lower payments you are seeing are comming from outside banks. For example, I work for a leasing company, and we have a .00309, along with a 56% on a 3 year, 12k/year 650Cic.
  • knottyhottieknottyhottie Member Posts: 7
    Hi there, I was wondering if it was better for me to wait for the 2007 650 coupe to come out in November rather than leasing a 2006 right now? I was told conflicting advice from 2 different sales people. A sales person told me to wait for the 2007 release as it would have a higher residual value. The manager at another dealership told me that I would get a way better deal getting a 2006 since the money factor would be lower on the 2006. He also told me that he had a pre-owned 2006 w/only 2K miles on it that he could get me a great deal on.

What do you advise? Thnaks.
  • mpdreamermpdreamer Member Posts: 6
    I am just starting my work on leasing the 650i. Test drove it today and loved it. Dealer used an MSRP of 85,545 and a Cap Cost of $83,400. he used a money factor of .00325 through BMW Financing and a residual of 54% because I was interested in a 10K miles per year lease (which he said adds 3 percentage points to the residual). Can anybody tell me whether these numbers are in the range, or share any current intelligence on current residuals and money factors for this vehicle? Any other hints as to minimize the pain associated with leasing this vehicle would be much appreciated. Thanks.
    Hi knottyhottie. When vehicles do not have any sort of lease money factor support, like the BMW 6-Series right now, it is often best to lease the brand new model, i.e. the 2007 650 Coupe, instead of a leftover model. As you were told, the 2007 650 will have higher residual values and assuming that you can negotiate a selling price that is fairly close to the price that you would be able to get a 2006 model for the higher resids will actually make it less expensive to lease. The sales manager that told you the 2006 model is the better deal because it has a lower money factor was wrong. Assuming that the dealer you are working with is not marking these cars' money factors up, they should be exactly the same.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hello mpdreamer. BMW is not currently providing any sort of lease money factor support on the BMW 6-Series. As a result, if you were to lease one through BMW Financial Services right now, you would have to use its standard lease money factor. BMW FS' standard money factor varies by region, but the factor that you were quoted is in the right ballpark. I would be happy to give you an idea of what this car's residual value should be like if you tell me whether you are looking at a 2007 or a 2006 model and how long you are interested in leasing for.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • knottyhottieknottyhottie Member Posts: 7
    Hi Car_Man,

Thanks for the response. I talked to the manager again and he said that I should get the 2006 model b/c they are trying to get rid of it and I can negotiate a better selling price. He said that with the 2007, I wouldn't be able to negotiate much since it would be newly released and they never go under msrp. I know that the 07 will have higher residual values, but do you think that it's best to negotiate for the 06 or wait for the 07 with an unnegotiable price but higher res value?? Thanks.
  • raja2raja2 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking at leasing a 2007 M6 in a little less than a year. I spoke to one dealer so far just to get a rough estimate on what lease payments would be if the car's sales price was approximately $100K. I got some outrageous payments; $2200 (no money down) and $1739 (with $14K down) a month with a 36 month lease 15K miles a year. Does this sound right to you??

I leased a 2005 545 (15K miles a year) a year ago with a selling price of $63K and $14K down for $513 a month. This lease is nowhere near the lease payment on the M6. The M6 is over 3x's more with the same money down. My friend suggested that since it is a rare care they can charge what they want, which I don't agree with.

Any info and calculations would be appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.