Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Ford Edge

Comments

• rscherbrscherb Member Posts: 46
    Ford Enthusients
    1) Does anyone know how the sales figures for the Edges are so far??

2) Or does anyone know how many days Edge's are staying on the lot so far before being sold?

Those two indicators would be nice to know.

P.S. I am really tired about hearing about the brakes. You have really beat that issue into the ground.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Ford's Edge sales in December were 2,201. (PRNewswire)

No idea how long they are staying on the lot.
  • coldcrankercoldcranker Member Posts: 877
    The Edge is good, not great. The Freestyle offers more back-seat/luggage room and better MPG on a Volvo-derived chassis with a cool CVT. Get that over the Edge. If you need more room, the GMC Acadia or Saturn Outlook seems to be a bigger, more fuel efficient vehicle than the Edge as well.
  • srangersranger Member Posts: 106
    I do know that Ford already has over 40,000 dealer orders for the new Edge. ( Not bad... )

So far, I have seen a few on the lots around here for about two weeks. The SE ans SEL seem to move quicker and the SEL + ( with the much higher price tag ) seem to stay on the lots longer. I suspect that is because at around $34,000 they are priced into the Lexus, Acura, BWM, etc. range.

One Lincoln Dealer has had two MKX ( about $42,000 MSRP ) on the lot for almost three weeks now...
  • troadeytroadey Member Posts: 4
    I had checked with about 3 dealers b4 one finally came in so we could buy one. After we purchased it another one of the dealerships called and said they got some in and that they wouldn't be getting any of the SEL pluses yet do to them having problems with the vista roof. That maybe why you haven't seen many of them yet....
  • mmccloskeymmccloskey Member Posts: 168
    Greetings:

I stopped by the local Ford dealer to take a gander at the Edge they had parked out front. It was the creme brulee' w/charcoal (read black) interior. The car is somewhat striking in appearance overall. It has rather short front/rear overhangs with a 'chunky' look to it. The interior was OK - I wasn't impressed with the quality of the leather - it looked like vinyl. The car did appear to be well assembled though. Since styling sells cars, this should be a hit for Ford as long as there are no significant quality issues. Didn't drive it as I am happy w/my 2005 Freestyle Limited. I will test drive the 2008 FS when it comes out later this year. It will have the 3.5 w/6-speed auto tranny plus some minor enhancements similar to those on the 2008 Five Hundred. To those who have purchased their 2007 Edge - congratuations!

Regards -

M. J. McCloskey
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,298
    i've seen a couple of vista roof models on the lots.
    maybe the dealer that called you just didn't have any.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • driverdmdriverdm Member Posts: 505
    Does anyone know what kind of rims were on the Edge prototype they showed with the Hybrid engine in the News Section?

Also isn't it interesting that the Edge in those shots has an MKX interior. The MKX is DOA to me cause the Buick Enclave is so much better. They should have used the CX-9 chasis and made it more closer to the concept. Then it would really give the Enclave a run because it would look very expensive and seem like a bargian when they get it the new engine. As it is now, there is no reason to buy an MZX. Good thing the Edge is positioned to sell. Even if it is just a tad over priced.
    fyi, 'Hy' means hydrogen not hybrid.
    we are pretty close geographically, but i don't think we could get along because you are probably a red sox fan. ;)
  • cowbellcowbell Member Posts: 125
    From what I read, the Hy could refer to Hybrid as well as hydrogen.

That prototype Edge can charge from a wall outlet, drive on just battery power for a while, and then hydrogen fuel cells recharge the batteries.
  • bruneau1bruneau1 Member Posts: 468
    I just drove an Edge. Good looking, good seats, ride, handling, but the steering and brakes need work, and the transmission needs recalibration. The Freestyle drives more like a car.
  • donl1donl1 Member Posts: 112
    Has anyone cross shopped and drove both the Edge and the Saturn Vue?
    "Hardly anybody is making a big deal about the Ford Edge. Somebody should."

2007 Ford Edge: Hey, it's the 21st-century Taurus
  • fordwrenchfordwrench Member Posts: 70
    Ordered an SEL plus with vista roof around thanksgiving for a friend, it came in yesterday, very unimpressed! He did not take it. Not worth the money, has seen it all before except the roof but no big deal. Really nothing outstanding, a nice enough car but pretty much any new car would be. He and I were both hoping to be blown away but it seemed big & heavy not very sporty and only holds 5 and man it's a high sticker price! I have a Freestyle ltd. & would take it over the Edge any time.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    The Vue doesn't even measure up against the current Escape. The interior is very el'cheapo.

Mark.
  • passat_2002passat_2002 Member Posts: 468
    What did it cost you (or your friend) to turn down a vehicle you had ordered. I assume there was a deposit paid up front? And what was the dealers reaction to this?

I agree with you about the Freestyle. It's a "better" Edge.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Deposits are usually 100% refundable unless you are ordering a combination (color/options) that the dealer doesn't think they can sell to someone else.
    It depends on your contract with the dealer too, and some dealers are loathe to refund the money as the vehicle gets close to being built (or actually arrives, as here).

I think some states (California, NY?) let you get your deposit back but there may be some conditions, like your inability to get financing.
    I was referring to the dealer voluntarily giving you back your money, not a legal requirement. It also depends a lot on whether you're looking to get a different vehicle from the same dealer or not.
    Yeah, I think most dealers would work with you figuring they could flip the ordered car. I suppose a specially ordered Edge without carpet or something else unusual could sour them, but the dealer probably would want payment in full and up front for a real off-beat order.

It's something to consider when you decide to order a new car sight unseen.
  • heyjewelheyjewel Member Posts: 1,046
    It seems a bit crazy to me, but here in California when you order a car and put down a deposit you are under NO legal obligation to buy the car when it comes in and the dealer MUST refund your deposit if you refuse the car.

I learned this firsthand a few years ago when I tried to order a Lincoln LS with the 5 speed manual. The dealer would not do it because they were afraid I would bail out and they would be stuck with a Lincoln they couldn't sell. Tough to sell a sporty car with a stick shift to the blue hair set. This is one reason that Lincoln is dying - the dealers have no idea how to sell anything but a rolling couch. At least the Caddy dealers gave it a go and the CTS is now a success.

BTW, I was able to order my LS by getting the Lincoln VP of marketing to personally call anpther dealer and urge them to order the car. I'm still driving it and lovin it.
    Geez, spoken like a true Ford salesman. Wanna see a cheap interior, sit in one of your Edges or Fusions. Or the Escape for that matter.

Build it and they will come, but so far, Ford aint buildin it.
    Now for the good news- I saw my first Edge in person today. Just a drive-by - was silver with a rear spoiler. I must admit, the exterior looks real attractive in person. I aslo like the song - "I like to live on the Edge-ah"
    Commercial said - new crossover from Ford. My wife said "What the h_ll is a crossover?" It's a good question actually. Why does Ford think everyone knows what the definition of that is?
    Last comment - I've seen the redesigned 500 and Escape and they are just BLAH. It's a shame because the 500, with the new 3.5L and AWD is probably one heck of a good vehicle. They just won't sell very many because they are boring to tears. What's up with Ford that they now think all thier cars must have this 3 bar grille? Does anyone else think that is just way overkill and the design is already getting old? I hear now Ford is going to do global design where all it's cars will have the same design theme. I just dont see that as a good idea.
  • fordwrenchfordwrench Member Posts: 70
    I work at the dealer, there was no deposit and the dealer is going to be better off to sell to someone else at a higher price than they quoted me for my friend. The vista roofs are coming in slow so there is a high demand right now. It was our second Edge here the first one, a base in Creambrulae is still here.
  • colecole Member Posts: 67
    I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder because we didn't find the Edge interior to be cheap feeling or looking at all. Out of curiosity, have you even been inside one?

I thought the X3 felt cheap on the inside, as did several of the other vehicles we test drove prior to buying the Edge. Many of the seats in the other vehicles felt as if they had no padding and felt cramped. The Edge isn't all chromed out, but that doesn't mean it's "cheap."

With so few Edges actually on lots at this point, I have to wonder how much of the bashing is from people that have not yet been in one themselves. How much of it is just Ford bashing from the GM, Toyota, etc. fanboys?
    I admit to never having sat in an Edge. I have seen the photos and it looks cheap. I have sat in a Lincoln emmkayzee which is related to the Edge in many ways and was not impressed with that award-winning interior either. And the mkz driver door felt like it was made of paper-mache. Wouldnt wanna get T-boned in one. Just MHO though. And before u call me a fan-boy of some other automaker, been Ford pretty much forever. Own 2 Lincolns and a Ford now. But I do call things as I see em and I dont like what I see with FLM these days.

If I may expound, Ford is in deep doo-doo, yet they continue to produce and try to sell inferior products. They seem to pull every last nickle out of the car that they can. The brakes on the Edge are a good example, I believe. Based on what I've read, they are under-designed for the car. They do not stop the vehicle as quickly as the competition. Now why would a company on the verge of fading away partly due to hundreds of millions of dollars lost to lawsuits over bad tires and badly designed Explorers put out a car with inferior brakes? It just dont make sense. You gotta ask yourself what the h_ll else did they scrimp on?
    I was just over at the 500 problems board and people are complaining big-time about the brakes on that new vehicle as well. Folks are reporting 15000 miles is the expected life of the rear pads and the rotors are failing as well. Independent mechanics are laughing at the factory brake pads and rotors. Based on that, I would expect to see similar results from the Edge. Also, apparently the Ford bean counters pulled the cabin air filter from the 500 to save another $5.00. Is this any way to build an automobile?
    Just to reiterate, I own a Lincoln LS and a Navigator and both are great vehicles. I just dont like the way Ford is going today. Lincoln especially. They have nothing in the way of cars to sell. It's so bad that even their website features a concept car instead of something you can buy today. It's a shame, but that's the way it is. ANd dont even mention Mercury. Its a joke anymore. The best built thing they have is Jill Wagoner.
    All just MHO folks.
    Almost all dealers in NJ use a form Buyers' Order from NJ Car.

Deposits are only refundable under this form if the customer objects to a factory price increase or to a reduction in trade value between order and delivery.

The point is to READ THE FORM before you sign if you want to know whether the deposit is refundable in your situtation.

Mark.
    i think the '02 explorer, which i have, was termed as having tupperware interior by edmunds. there are better looking ones, but after 5 years, it has held up well, imo.
    i think the interior of the edge is kind of a disapointment, but in the long run, who knows?
    our 3 year old escape has a simple, functional interior. it has held up pretty well. you can see some marks in the lower rear door interior panels where the kids use their foot to push the door open. other than that, it still looks pretty good with a damp cloth wipe.
  • oxford3oxford3 Member Posts: 6
    Its hard to understand how someone can judge an interior without even sitting in the thing.I ordered an Edge and thought the interior wasnt overly fancy but its style went with the exterior well.I currently have an 04 Explorer and that has held up nicely.I looked at a Chevy 'Nox and that seemed cheap.Also wasnt thrilled with Toyota truck interiors even though I know their mechanicals are excellent.
    Yesterday I sat in an MKX, which is a Lincolnized Edge. The interior looked pretty nice - two-toned cream colored with medium toned wood. The seats were nice looking too, though they were rock hard and too small really IMHO. However, the details ruin it for me. The intruments are boxy old-school design looking to be out of a 70s era Granada or something. And the door panels are almost entirely made of cheap-looking hard plastic. And that's the Lincoln. Unlike the Edge, the Lincoln, IMO, looks worse in person than photos. It looks fat, round AND boxy if that's possible. Looks like a meld of 2 70s era AMC products - the Spirit and the Pacer.
    I walked next door and looked at a GMC Acadia. IMHO, this is a FAR nicer looking vehicle in and out. It is also bigger, seats 2 or 3 more people, has a bigger engine AND gets better gas mileage. Why anyone will buy these Ford and Lincolns over the new GMs, to say nothing of the existing Japanese products, is just beyond me. Sorry, Ford, but that's the way this Lincoln owner sees it.
  • porcinimanporciniman Member Posts: 23
    Not only is the Acadia a better looking vehicle, but seems to offer more!

The 2007 Enclave.............
    is WAAAAAAY above the Edge in creature comfort!!!

Both of these vehicles have far more creature comforts and style, than the Edge!!!

Style, seems to be, what buyers are willing to pay for!!!

I believe, Ford...... is now.......in the business of catch up!!!!

Ford, just posted BIG losses!!!
    Even though, most of those posted, are one time losses!!!!

If any of you look at the competition mentioned, I can't believe you'll consider an "EDGE"!!!
    "Seems to ?"

It's bigger, seats 2 more, has more room inside, larger tires, bigger engine, more power and the same or better fuel economy. It's a no brainer and I've NEVER considered a GMC product before.

The Enclave, never mind the Cadillac, promises to just kick the Lincoln's butt all over the place. And the price on the Acadia was about the same as the Lincoln. Ford has really overpriced these vehicles IMHO. Of course, I think everything is overpriced.
    The Acadia is too heavy, oink, oink. Drove another EDge yesterday, this time a FWD base model. I was impressed with the value, but the brakes were awful, worse than the not so good ones in the AWD i drove a few days ago. At this point, I would not buy an EDge until they fix the brakes. I can't imagine why Ford would even allow something like that to get through.
    The Acadia is too heavy?
    That was funny.

Seems to? LOL!

I'm glad we all have similar feelings.
    I hope FORD (fix or repair daily)reads this forum!

Otherwise, they'll tank before 2010!!!

The competition is just tooooo strong!!!!!!!!!!!
    Too heavy by what standard? It's about 10% heavier than the MKX and has about 6% more hp. Seats more people, carries more cargo (117 cu ft vs 69 cu ft) and gets as good or better gas mileage. So what is your point?

Have u driven an Acadia?
    'Not only is the Acadia a better looking vehicle, but seems to offer more!

Both of these vehicles have far more creature comforts and style, than the Edge!!"
    'Not only is the Acadia a better looking vehicle, but seems to offer more!

Both of these vehicles have far more creature comforts and style, than the Edge!!"

Wow, Buick and Style used in the same sentence, thats not something you see to often from anyone too young to collect social security.

This however is not a valid comparison for the following reasons:

1. the Enclave isn't even available for another 4 to 6 months, so no one "unless you work for GM" really knows what it looks like.

2. Buick website states the Enclave will start at about $32k. It is not clear if this is for an AWD. The leater version will go for almost $34k. EDGE starts at $25,995 for FWD and an AWD EDGE SEL with cloth has a sticker of $29,640 while a AWD EDGE SEL PLUS (leather) has a sticker of $31,395.

3. Enclave is a 7 passenger vehicle. Edge is a 5 passenger vehicle.

4. Based on the Buick Website, Enclave has more fake wood than a 1994 Towncar. This is clearly aimed at different customer than the Ford Edge with its brushed metal dash and "big [non-permissible content removed]" moonroof.

For our next lesson the Ford Focus vs. the BMW 3 series.

Mark.

Mark.
    This makes little sense to me. It's a "very good vehicle in all respects but too heavy ... " Where would you cut the 500 pounds? I suppose you could make it smaller and leave out the third seat? But that would be a different vehicle. The market is already loaded with 5 passenger CUVs. GM obviously wanted to offer an alternative. The Acadia does weigh about 900 pounds more than the Highlander, but it's got 80 more hp and holds 1/3 more cargo AND gets the same gas mileage. What do I care about the extra 900 pounds, especially since even you admit it's a 'very good vehicle all around'?

And blaming it on "America" does little to raise your IQ, at least with me.
    I guess your IQ missed the point, and mine doesn't need raising. Loaded and going up hills, the engine strains in the Acadia. It's the heaviest vehicle in its class and weighs more than some full-size.
    Loaded and going up hills, the engine strains in the Acadia.

Then I guess it's not really a "very good vehicle in all respects", is it? The point is not to complain about the weight - complain about how the weight affects the performance. Weight by itself doesn't matter.
    What did you load it with?

Did u bring a ton of bricks to the test drive?
    So far, this conversation is now being rated...tisk, tisk!
    This is the question I'm wondering about. Anyone have any insight?
    Quieter, heated and cooled seats, THX stereo, slightly nicer interior, styling, power liftgate. Whether all that is worth the extra $$ is a personal decision. I'm leaning towards the Edge since I like the styling and have a Fusion now but the wife likes the styling on the MKX better even though it's $6K-$8K more. We'll know more after the auto show in April.
    My two brothers and the salesman. Normal type load. Ok, I revise my statement: A very good vehicle in most respects. On another topic- has anyone checked out the brakes in the Edge? I hope my experience was atypical.
    The MKX I saw also had power-fold 2nd seats. Does the Edge have those?
    The MKX I saw also had power-fold 2nd seats. Does the Edge have those?

Yes, they're optional on the SEL, standard on the SEL Plus.

I also forgot the optional steerable headlights on the MKX.
  • colecole Member Posts: 67
    They call them power-fold seats, but I don't know that I would do the same... There is a button that's accessible from the rear of the vehicle that you push and the seats go down without you pushing on them. The don't come back up with the push of a button though. They behave like there's tension on a spring that's released when you push the button... It's a great feature, don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't agree that they're "power-fold" even though the marketing literature states that they are.
    I guess I just assumed they work like the ones in my Navigator. Motor driven up and down. Smooth as silk. Did Ford find a way to save another $8.00?
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    The way I see it the "power-fold" seats in the Edge are similar to the folding rear seats in the Mazda6 and Fusion. In the latter two you pulled a lever in the trunk, one on either side, and the rear seats would flop down. Very convenient IMO (I owned a Mazda6 for a while). There was nothing electronic about it, the lever pulled a cable to unlock the seat backs, and you had to push them up by hand through the back doors.

The Edge seems to have some sort of electronic motor that releases the seat backs making it some kind of "fold-by-wire" system with no cable to pull. Does that seem right?

Somewhat different but still the same result.
  • troadeytroadey Member Posts: 4
    Response to the brake issue. I have an Edge and the brakes are just fine. when they did most of the reviews was back in Nov. and they pulled the Edge back to the drawing board. I've read some reviews also stating that it did have non-vinted brakes in the rear and that was why it took so long to stop, but it does have vented in the rear. I've tested the brakes time and time again and they work a lot better than my explorer......
This discussion has been closed.