Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Ford Edge

Comments

• bruneau1bruneau1 Member Posts: 468
    My complaint with the brakes on the two Edges I drove was that the pedal went down too far and then was spongy. The brakes on my Freestyle are right up there and firm and easy to modulate, although there are reports of premature wear on the rears.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    The Edge definately feels more linier in application.

I had a Mazda Protege5 where just a slight presure would put you through the windshield. Now that was annoying.

Maybe Ford should add Brake Assist.

Mark.
  • srangersranger Member Posts: 106
    Response to the brake issue. I have an Edge and the brakes are just fine. when they did most of the reviews was back in Nov. and they pulled the Edge back to the drawing board. I've read some reviews also stating that it did have non-vinted brakes in the rear and that was why it took so long to stop, but it does have vented in the rear. I've tested the brakes time and time again and they work a lot better than my explorer......

Have you actually checked your 60-0 braking distance? This is not somthing that you can tell by the seat of your pants. It is almost impossible to tell without measuring it ( unless you hit the person in front of you with good brakes.. ).

The ONLY thing Ford did to the brakes from the pre-production models was add vented rear rotors. I would not exactly call that "back to the drawing board". Since the front does 80% of the stopping, this will not solve the problem.

For example, Edmunds tested their new long term Edge which is a full 2007 production model and it produced the same hair raising 150ft stopping distances. Here is a direct quote from the article Edmunds wrote about adding the Edge that they bought from dealer stock to their long term fleet:

"When it comes to cars geared for family duty, stopping is more important than going fast. In the case of the Edge, stopping from 60 mph in 158 feet is not getting the job done. Relatively low mileage may be a factor in this poor result, but even with only 818 miles on the odometer we expect better."

P.S. I look at two Edges a local dealer had. One had vented rear disc, the other did not. Anyone who buys one of these things needs to take a look first...
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    IMMHO going to vented brake rotors in the rear is enough of an unusual aspect that it would give me serious consideration about the vehicle's braking ability, lack thereof.

That would seemingly indicate that the front brakes are not reliably doing their ~80% "share".
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
  • frizz2112frizz2112 Member Posts: 84
    No bones about it, Ford has their safety act together. The 500, Fusion and Edge, along with their Mercury and Lincoln siblings, are all safety standouts. Let's hope someone in the marketing department gets this information into their advertising.
    What's the good of a safety award if you can't back it out of the garage reliably?

Oh, sorry, that's right, if it can't be driven it's more safe.
    Unless you've got a link to a news story about Edge owners mysteriously not being able to back out of their garages, I really don't know what you're getting at here.

I'd be carfeful if you're trying to make a statement about Ford quality. Ford's last two new products have matched or beaten all the competition quality wise; would you like to take a bet on the Edge maintaining this trend?
  • donl1donl1 Member Posts: 112
    Any real world numbers on the AWD Edge fuel mileage yet?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Please report your gas mileage here: Ford Edge MPG Real World Numbers.

tidester, host
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    It's in the other topic, but Autoweek and Motorweek both reported 20 mpg actual mileage in their AWD Edges.
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    I see a strong bias here that might belong on another forum.
  • troadeytroadey Member Posts: 4
    To your fist question, yes I have tested it from 60-0 and it didn't take 158ft to stop. I will get back to you on the measurements. And second, the statement that you were getting from edmunds is from Nov 06 , before the adjusted some things http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/do/vdp/articleId=117551/pageNumber=4. I have over 1,000 miles on mine now and I have had no trouble with the edge. I didn't know this was a site for bashing the edge.. I thought this was a site for people to hear from people that have bought the vehicle and their personal experiences....
    It's not a site for Edge bashing. It's more general than that. Anything Ford makes has a big target on it for some reason. The import lovers just can't bring themselves to believe (or admit) that the domestics have competetive vehicles now.
    To your fist question, yes I have tested it from 60-0 and it didn't take 158ft to stop. I will get back to you on the measurements. And second, the statement that you were getting from edmunds is from Nov 06 , before the adjusted some things http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/do/vdp/articleId=117551/pageNumber=4. I have over 1,000 miles on mine now and I have had no trouble with the edge. I didn't know this was a site for bashing the edge.. I thought this was a site for people to hear from people that have bought the vehicle and their personal experiences....

The Article I quoted from with the 158ft stop was written By Mike Schmidt , Vehicle Testing Assistant
    Date posted: 01-10-2007. The test was done on a standard production vehicle that they added to their long term test fleet. So YES it was tested AFTER the fixes that delayed the edge's release...

It is not bashing to tell the truth. If yours stops better than 146ft. It is the best stopping test to date...

So far: MotorTrend, Car and Drive, Edmunds, MotorWeek have ALL seen the same problem.
  • dspdavedspdave Member Posts: 7
    I have 1200 miles am averaging 21.4 mpg. That is probably 65% city driving.
    Thanks for posting that in Ford Edge MPG Real World Numbers. :)

tidester, host
  • smaharajsmaharaj Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Honda Pilot and just got a Ford Edge (put on 1000 miles. The stopping distance is a non issue. While I have not measured the exact distance, it is no different than that of the Pilot, might be slightly better. So all these statistics doesnot mean anything. I also became apprehensive after reading the numbers but went and actually test drove the vehicle atleast three times. So far my experience has been etremly good. The issue that I ahve is around the blind spots and the initial milage. City- mixed driving ~16, Highway ~19.5. Hope it improves after the so called break in period
    I have test driven the Edge three time now myself and I have seen nothng that would indicated that all of these people who are evaluating the Edge are lying....

I found that the front end dives sharply on hard braking and the brake pedal feels mushy. I did one panic stop from 45mph. I did it in front of the dealership. There was a row of cars parked on the street. It took 13 parking lot spaces to come to stop. The cars were parked about 9' apart. That is about 120' from only 45mph???

After that one hard stop, the brake fade was rather obvious and the pedal was even softer. I would NOT want to drive this thing in Atlanta Highway traffic. After the brakes heat up a little in stop and go traffic, the stopping distances will get much worse...

"So all these statistics doesnot mean anything.."

These stastics might not mean much to you, but I don't want to significantly increase the odds of me having an accident simply because Ford created a poor design. I also plan to tow a boat with it, so that will make it an even more serious issue for me.

You also might want to read this:
    http://blogs.edmunds.com/.ee98071/6

P.S. You milage will certianly improve. It will probably gain 2-3mpg over time ( and you quit pressing the accelerator hard on your new toy ;) )
    Please describe your procedure for the panic stop.
    Brake pedal "feel" on modern day vehicles may be meaningless in comparison to the "olden" days. Most new vehicles have BA, Brake Assist, which helps you brake in certain "panic" braking, hard or severe braking circumstances.
    Please describe your procedure for the panic stop.

It was fairly simple... Get up to 45mph and hit the brakes when I was even with one of the parked cars and count how many we passed until it stopped... This is not exactly rocket science...
    Sorry, I should have been more clear.

Did you "stomp and steer"? i.e. hit & hold the brake pedal as hard as you could?
    Did you "stomp and steer"? i.e. hit & hold the brake pedal as hard as you could?

I hit the brakes as hard as I could and held the wheel so that it stopped in a straight line. It stopped more or less in a straight line with little or no steering input...

I did not try a power slid or anything if that is what you are getting at...
    I think we're getting closer. Did you also contimue to press the brake pedal down as hard as you could? Did you hear or feel the ABS doing its job?
  • heyjewelheyjewel Member Posts: 1,046
    Is this part of the way forward? Motor Trend, March 2007

Order of finish:

Last: Edge
    3rd Highlander
    2nd Santa Fe (Hyundai fer cripes sake)
    1st Murano (One UGLY mutha if u ask me.)

Oh, and these are the old Murano and Highlander, not the brand new ones which will be out soon.

BTW, Braking for the Ford - worst in the group. 149ft from 60mph. The Murano needed only 121 ft.

Also, gas mileage - worst in the Edge. Hey Bill Ford, Mr Green Jeans, what say you about that?

This is also interesting - the Ford is about 10% heavier than the rest yet it's cargo volume is almost 20% smaller.

The Ford did win one category - exterior looks. Though the interior was back to the bottom of the heap.

Unbelievable that Ford would try to foist this off on the public after the Firestone/Explorer disaster, and the exploding police cars and the story that Volvo engineers are teed off that FOrd is trying to lower the strength of the roof in their cars, etc etc.

Hey, Mulally, what say you about this?
    What more do you want, Yes I pressed the brake as hard as I could. I am 6'-4" 230lb, I think I can fully depress a brake pedal. I was not looking at the dash during such a manouver so I did not see if the ABS light came on... The tires did chip a couple of times. I could not tell if it was the front or rear...
    Is this part of the way forward? Motor Trend, March 2007

Order of finish:

Last: Edge
    3rd Highlander
    2nd Santa Fe (Hyundai fer cripes sake)
    1st Murano (One UGLY mutha if u ask me.)

Oh, and these are the old Murano and Highlander, not the brand new ones which will be out soon.

BTW, Braking for the Ford - worst in the group. 149ft from 60mph. The Murano needed only 121 ft.

Well that should end the "they fixed the brakes in the production model debate...."

Does any one really still belive that an extra 28ft stop does not increase your odds of rear ending another car?
    Does any one really still belive that an extra 28ft stop does not increase your odds of rear ending another car?

Sure. It's only a factor in a full panic stop and I can't remember the last time I had to make one of those. And even then it has to be a situation where you can't steer around whatever stopped in front of you.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,314
    from my wife after seeing a picture of the Edge; 'it looks like that porsche suv, but i don't like the grille'.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • oxford3oxford3 Member Posts: 6
    Though I find this brake talk interesting though probably played out most people have no idea about any of this.They are concerned about reliability,price and looks.You can put that in any order you wish.If the Edge turns into a pinto or corvair then people will notice but until then....
    The whole point of these forums is to share information. An obvious design flaw in the braking system seems like a valid discussion...

Maybe people really do not care about little things like braking ability... I guess I do...
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    I am glad to hear about the brakes but I think all that can be said has been said. If it is an important issue don't buy and move on to another vehicle. Repeating it over and over doesn't add anything new to the discussion.
    Feel free to start up a separate discussion on brakes. Just go to the Ford Edge group and click the "Add a Discussion" link.

tidester, host
    Well, you'll just have to get used to it. Because as the car magazines compare this vehicle to the competition, they are all going to notice that is takes the Edge an extra couple of car lengths to stop. They are going to write it up and people are going to notice and perhaps voice it here. To ignore it would be stupid. Some people will voice it or hear of it for the first time. And it may save their life. ME? I'm going to point it out every time a new magazine does. Why? Because I'm disgusted that Ford would put out ANOTHER poorly designed and likely unsafe product after all the stuff that's happened to this company in the past, that they would open another door to the ambulance chasing lawyers SHOULD put them out of business if they're that stupid.
  • suttonssuttons Member Posts: 3
    Motorweek has a stopping distance (60-0) of 146 ft.

http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2619b.shtml

Another disparagement between the two tests is the reverse spec. Edmunds puts 0-60 at 8.3 seconds while MW puts it at 7.5 seconds. Both used a fully loaded SEL+.

I wonder why the differences?
    Motorweek has a stopping distance (60-0) of 146 ft.

http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2619b.shtml

Another disparagement between the two tests is the reverse spec. Edmunds puts 0-60 at 8.3 seconds while MW puts it at 7.5 seconds. Both used a fully loaded SEL+.

I wonder why the differences?

Different road surfaces can yield different stopping results. So far the braking test of the Edge have ranged from 146' - 161'. Take the average and you are over 150'. The same is true of acceleration test preformed on differnet days and locations. One done on a cool dry day near sea level where the air is more dense might have a 25hp ( or more ) advantage over a test preformed on a hot humid day at higher elevation.

The best test are ones where different vehicles are tested on the same day on the same road surface. This shows the true performance differences. The MT test for example showed a 28ft difference between the best in class and worst in class on braking on the same road surface...
    Good response.

There is also the question of options on the cars, particularly was it a FWD or AWD. I read the Motorweek article and they never said which drivetrain theirs' had. The AWD will be slower for sure.

The March 07 Motor Trend test used and AWD w/big moonroof option. They got 7.7 0-60 time. And 16.8 all round mpg.

BTW, I am very unimpressed with motorweeks 'tests' or 'reviews' or whatever they call em. They seem to be little more than resated advertising.
    for any modern day vehicle will be the result of an engineering compromise between two opposing "forces". Stopping distance vs directional control.

On a dry high traction pavement the shortest stopping distance might very well be attained by disabling ABS. But then you risk losing control of the vehicle due to inadvertent lock up of the front wheels, or even the rears for that matter.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes those very same engineers to figure out that the best of all worlds would be to disable ABS unless VSC indicates an impending loss of directional control.

So, that extra stopping distance for the Ford Edge may very well be a GOOD compromise.
    I see. So vehicle weight or size of actual braking surfaces do not enter the equation? Very interesting. Why not just stop the thing like Fred Flintstone then with a good pair of boots pressed against the pavement?

*Maybe* what you're saying is that the Edge, given it's weight and choice of brake sizing and hardware, could not stop quicker unless it lost directional control? I dunno. Are you a Ford engineer?
    The statement:

"It will be interesting to see how long it takes those very same engineers to figure out that the best of all worlds would be to disable ABS unless VSC indicates an impending loss of directional control."

Is totally out of touch with reality. PLEASE stop making recommendations that, if followed, endangers people's lives.

I've had a career as an enigneer in the auto industry, a significant portion intimately with brake systems, and I know from experience that disabling the ABS is one of the dumbest thing a vehicle owner could do.
    Thanks, laterag.

The rest of his post is pretty non-sensical as well.

Interesting that his conclusion is that its good that it takes the Edge a lot longer to stop than the competition.
    Why not just stop the thing like Fred Flintstone then with a good pair of boots pressed against the pavement?

I estimate that would take about 3,000 feet starting at 60 mph in a two ton vehicle. :surprise:

tidester, host
  • colecole Member Posts: 67
    Basically what you're talking about. I just can't believe that they market it as power fold seats. As a consumer, I assume that power fold seats mean that they're power raise seats as well. All Ford has done is replace a pull cord with a button to push.
    "Why not just stop the thing like Fred Flintstone then with a good pair of boots pressed against the pavement?

I estimate that would take about 3,000 feet starting at 60 mph in a two ton vehicle.

tidester, host"

HAHA Yeah, but if it's in a straight line, maybe it's a GOOD compromise! And, what size foot did you assume? :>)
    I have to admit I was pulling for the Edge to do better in the MT test now that they have a full production vehicle. While it seems Ford did re-calibrate the stability control system since the pre production models were tested, the other flaws remain. There is no longer any denying that the Edge has a significant disadvantage in breaking. You can write off one or maybe two tests, but when every single test done on a vehicle shows that it has long breaking distances, then it does. Seat of the pants impressions cannot tell you how long your breaking distances are.

I also didn't realize how much of a disadvantage the Edge has from a packaging standpoint. Add to this the visibility issues, weight and mileage issues, and interior quality issues, and it seems Ford has produced a bunt when they needed a home run. I mean really, every car in that test has been on the market for a while; did Ford bother to test any of them? How to you release a car like this that you know isn't going to measure up?

I'll still give one of these a drive for myself, largely because I'm a Ford fan and I really like the looks of this car, but I don't expect to be terribly surprised. The Edge seems to be the opposite of the 500; a great looking car with not a whole lot going for it beyond that. I hope for Ford's sake that the Edge's looks can carry it until some of the shortcomings are addressed. Once again, it looks like we've got another "yeah, but wait for the two year refresh" scenario.
    There is no longer any denying that the Edge has a significant disadvantage in breaking.

I expect the Edge to be as reliable as the Fusion which means it is not likely to break. :P

Seriously though, it looks like Ford did the same thing with the Edge that it did with the Fusion - engineer to a price point $2K less than the competition (in this case the Murano). This requires compromises in some areas. Note this was done prior to the new regime and I don't think you'll see that going forward.

I've heard from one of the engineers that they're switching to Michelins for 2008 and that should improve the braking.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    I just can't believe that they market it as power fold seats.

Where did you see them listed as "power fold seats"? Ford calls it the "EasyFold™ remote second row seat-back release" on their site. If you ask me both say that the folding action is power activated and has nothing to do with the action of retracting them to their upright positions.

The system in the Expedition, Explorer and some others is called the "3rd Row PowerFold™ seat" and they do go up and down with the touch of a button. Ironically, that name doesn't tell me that it folds them back up either but the two names are definitely different.
    In Ford's "corner" on this.

The "job" of the ABS ECU firmware is to detect impending wheel lock-up (it doesn't wait for the wheel to actually "lock", it "looks" at the rate at which the tire is slowing toward lock) during braking as early as is feasibly possible given current technological product availability and cost.

Ideally ABS could use a linear servo system but due to current product COST limitations it must use a "bang-bang", PWM, Pulse-Width Modulation,type servo loop.

Another cost related compromise.

There are so many variables, roadbed type, roadbed condition, tire adhesions, etc, etc, etc, involved in this it is incomprehensible for most of us to get our minds around the problem.

If you read up on current information in this subject you will find while that is sometimes the result, ABS is NOT designed into these systems as an aid in stopping quicker or in a shorter distance.

It is there SOLELY to help you maintain directional control, allow you to provide stearing inputs if needed, and/or prevent under/overstearing during severe or hard braking where otherwise you might lose control due to brake induced lockup.

VSC can detect the onset of skidding, overstearing or understearing, and react with corrective measures, long before your own seat-of-the-pants sensor will.

So why not delay the onset of ABS activation until these is an impending or actual need for it as an aid to maintaining directional control?
This discussion has been closed.