Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Ford Edge

Comments

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    i'm a right coaster in connecticut. i don't think any new cars are selling well, here. ads in the paper are 3k off sticker for a prius, 3600 off camry hybrid. have not seen any 'edge' on the road, yet. did see a mkx with dealer plates driving to work one day.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • heyjewelheyjewel Member Posts: 1,046
    Oh. I mixed u up with another frequent poster here I guess. As I said somewhere else, Prii are geting easier to buy out here in Cal too. 0%, prolly below sticker, though I cant be sure. Reason is no more car pool lane stickers for them. Tell ya tho, with gas over $3.00 again here, I'm gettin ready to go hybrid myself. Oil companies are ripping us off. But then, so is Toyota and the Japanese government. Pick yer poison I guess.
    BTW, ex4, speaking of Connecticut and driving:

One foggy night, a Yankees fan was heading north from New York and a Red Sox fan was driving south from Boston. While crossing a narrow bridge in Connecticut, they hit each other head-on, mangling both cars.

The Red Sox fan manages to climb out of his car and survey the damage. He looks at his twisted car and says, "Man, I'm lucky to be alive!" Likewise, the Yankees fan gets out of his car uninjured, he too feeling fortunate to have survived.

The Yankees fan walks over to the Red Sox fan and says, "Hey, man, I think this is a sign that we should put away our petty differences and live as friends instead of being rivals."

The Red Sox fan thinks for a moment and says, "You know, you're absolutely right ! We should be friends. In fact, I'm going to see if something else survived the wreck."

The Red Sox fan then pops open his trunk and removes a full undamaged bottle of Jack Daniel's. He says to the Yankee, "I think this is another sign- we should toast to our newfound friendship." The Yankee fan agrees and grabs the bottle. After sucking down half of the bottle, he hands it back to the Red Sox fan and says, "Your turn!"

The Red Sox fan calmly twists the cap back on the bottle, throws the rest of the bottle over the bridge into the river and says, "Nah, I think I'll just wait for the cops to show up."
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Drivers of a FWD or front torque biased AWD should never, and i do mean NEVER, be able to turn off traction control. Slipping/spinning wheels at the rear as the result of no TC is one thing, but slipping/spinning of the front wheels, you know, the ones your stear with, is purely an invitation to desaster.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Unless you're on snow. If you can't turn off traction control you'll be stuck. You have to spin the tires until they can find some grip under the snow. Even the owner's manual says this.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Ford should never have built an SE Edge. The SE is actually misleading if you compare the Edge to the Fusion. The SE Edge has equipment comparable to the Fusion S! The reason for the rebate is that no one will want this trim level.

I can't figure out what bozoo at Ford thinks that people are going to spend north of 25k for a family/passenger car WITHOUT a power drivers seat. (its not that the seat is that important, its just that a car this expensive should have one and all the competition does.)

My other gripe is the unpainted door handles. If you can get painted door handles on a $15k Nissan Versa, then you should get them on a $25k Ford Edge.

Personally I think Ford should drop the current SE, rename the SEL the SE and rename the SEL Plus to just SEL.

Mark.
  • markanmarkan Member Posts: 48
    I agree and also hate black door handles. $25k should buy an outstanding package of standard equipment.

I also wish Ford would offer a few more options as stand alone items rather than part of a package. Packages used to be a grouping of related items but now we have many unrelated items thrown together. I know dealers hate individual options but I hate to pay for options I don't want to get one that I need.
    Absolutely, unequivably NOT. TC is really for the inexperienced driver that would otherwise get themselves in trouble without TC as a "nanny". Anyone with any level of experience will tell you that the proper way to "gain" enough traction to initially get up and going on the slippery stuff is to carefully "feather" the throttle.

And the owners manual regarding TC off has to do with the ability to rock the vehicle back and forth to get unstuck, and yes, spin, the wheels, not to gain traction but momentum.

Disable TC and then spin the wheels to get moving initially, mono-directionally, and all you'll get is the smell of burning rubber.
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    There are situations where one has to "chew" through the snow to find pavement with enough traction to provide beneficial rocking. Disabling TC is required in order to do this.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    My other gripe is the unpainted door handles. If you can get painted door handles on a $15k Nissan Versa, then you should get them on a $25k Ford Edge.

FWIW Ford did this with the Explorer too. Our '06 XLT V6 has black plastic exterior door handles. For '07, body colored and painted door handles are standard across the board.

Going on that, maybe the '08 Edge will have standard body colored handles too. I'm pretty sure Ford did this in the past with other SUVs.
    Yes, I see so many BMW and/or CA drivers trying to do this during our winter ice and snow storms I find it unbelieveable. Long ago I would often get out on foot and try to get them started and advise them of how to "feather" the throttle.

Useless.

If you want to try this technique it might be best to get out of the car and make sure there is not a layer of ice under that snow.

But, admittedly it can be a good tecdhique if all you're dealing with is freshly fallen unpacked snow.
    Being a yankee fan, i took your story, turned it around a bit and sent it out to some friends. got back some :) and some :mad: . anyways had some fun with it, thanks.
    2nd trip in a few weeks to the dealer. sat in the back of an edge each time. the first time i thought the rear seatback was too vertical. as i was getting out, i noticed the other side of the split seat seemed angled back further. this time, i figured how to recline it. it angles pretty far back. the lower seat cushion seemed kind of low, though. some of the reviews noted this, too.
    In my 40+ years of driving in Michigan, I too have seen the idiots who have no feel for the dynamics of their vehicle. These are the ones who shouldn't disable the TC.

I refer to them as "passengers who happen to have the keys"
    Hey man some of your passengers who happen to have keys managed to escape to NJ. Let me know where to send them.
    Florida. The place is already teeming with them.
    I know there's one in Tamarac...... ;)
    I'm telling. :P
  • slider7slider7 Member Posts: 33
    Come on 0.0!!! Wife considering a GM product at 0.0 and save the extra $2500 in interest for Nordstrom.
  • fordenvyfordenvy Member Posts: 72
    I believe there are more people here just to bash Ford. If you don't like Ford products go to another brands forum, leave the Ford forum alone!
    Not to bash, but to critique..!

I was a loyal Ford customer long before I had a drivers license, ~1952, Ford Ferguson, over John Deere, Farmall, etc.

The very first car I purchased was a 1956 Ford Fairlane and it remained that way until I jumped the fence to a Lexus LS400 in 1991.

I would dearly love to see Ford make a comeback and be truly competitive with Toyota, and Lincohn vs Lexus.

This forum, and others like it provide the only method I know for most of us to get the word out regarding any unpleasantness we have had with Ford products.

So, long live the bashers...!

Under their "guidance" Ford may well rise again to the top.
    Leave US alone, envy. I own 3 Ford products now. But to buy something else from them, it has to be competitive. What they're selling now ain't. Simple as that. Perhaps if they listened to us "bashers" they wouldn't have stupid names for Lincolns, bring back dead rental car names for non-sellers which dont sell cause they're bland and boring, perhaps they would not be trying to describe a shifter which allows only D-L control of the vehicle as "a BOLD move", perhaps they would build cars for drivers instead of Grannies. Perhaps they wouldn't have Lincolns with prop-rod hoods or Edges with brakes that might perform better if u stuck your foot out the door. Or lincoln emmm kay exxxes with tupperware door panels and they think they can compete with Lexus.
    I for one am totally disgusted with what Ford is trying to pass off. Perhaps it stems back to the racist Nasser saying he hated all the "white faces" he sees at company meetings and then he tried his best to change them all to different colors. Perhaps Ford deserves to die?
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    Are you implying I was bashing Ford? You are very mistaken if you are my friend.
  • srangersranger Member Posts: 106
    I would not say I am a Ford hater, just extreamly dissapointed in the current product offerings. I currently own two Ford vehicles. My last two were Ford vehicles.

Get the Picture???

If Ford does not wake up and start producing class Leading not bottom to mid pack performers soon they will go out of business...
  • driverdmdriverdm Member Posts: 505
    Every car has its faults. the Lexus LS can park itself, but its stopping distance is very far compared to its compeition. The Ford Edge also has a braking problem, but other than that, it is a solid entry and very competitive. Though you and I may find it herendous that Ford doesn't offer a anumatic, especially in their "driver's car" the Fusion, I am willing to admit that for most people it will definitely suffice. The Fusion, I think, is definitely competitive in its market. It may have some faults, but point to me one that doesn't.
    I agree they should be better, but you have to be good before you can be great. The key is steady improvement.
    If the Edge is so darned competitive, why did it finish nearly dead last in a field of 22 new CUV and SUVs for MT SUVOTY a couple of months ago? Beaten by the Korean entries for gawds' sake. The answer is - it aint competitive. Saturn Outlook - that's competitive. The new Vue - that's competitive. The Edge has a bland boring interior, Grandmas' shifter and you gotta add an extra car length or 2 or you'll be getting into a lot of rear enders. Basically, IMHO it sux. And the Lincoln version is a complete joke. The door panels are almost completely hard plastic. Thsi is not what a luxury CUV should be. Not at all. Lexus is laughing all the way to the bank. Heck, I saw th enew Highlander in MT this month and its' interior is so superior to the Lincoln it's not even close.
    Build it and they will come, FOMOCO, dont build it and you're outta here. I use to defend these people. Not anymore. This months' MT is out and there are only 2 mentions of anything fomoco in there. One is actually a car, but it's only ANOTHER special Mustang. That's all Fords' got anymore, the Mustang. And its' days are numbered with Camaro and Challenger on the way. The other Ford article was a small paragraph on how Mark Fields has finally given up on jetting around on a private company paid jet to commute from Dearborn to his home in Florida. Just a little perk for Mr BIG to the tune of over 1/4 million dollars last year, while people are being forced out and Ford is building crap this guy's jetting back and forth all over the place spewing jet fumes and burning tons of jet fuel for no good reason. Who does he think he is, Al Gore?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Who does he think he is ...?

I think we should resist the temptation to go political! :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    i think you are being a bit harsh. i don't like most of 'heyjewels' posts either, but these threads are about opinions.
  • fordenvyfordenvy Member Posts: 72
    All the points that were brought up are right on the money I agree, I just wanted to see some of the points that would be brought to the table. Bill Ford really messed things up, too bad.
    If you are going to rely on comparison tests to really tell you if a vehicle is competitive, I would advice you to maintain your subscription for several years and get back to me. You will find many articles from the same magazine either A)contradict themselves, or B)be completely different from your real world experiences.

Now on to the meat of the subject. I think, since when people drive the Edge, they are driving one of the fastest CUVs on the market in its segment, the majority won't care about a shifter that 99% of people normally put 99% of the time in D and just go. Are you saying that fact isn't true?

There was a recent car comparo where the Kia Optima came in second. Do you really feel that most of America believes it can compete with the BRAND NEW CAMRY THAT CAME IN LAST? Keep in mind, Optima sales are less than 10% of Camry sales. Again, give those articles a couple months and see what happens.

The interior is not bland to me and I am 25 years old, and in the company's target market for the CUV. I feel it is lightyears more interesting than the Highlander interior. It isn't the greatest, but it is definitely not the worst. Have you seen the Equinox interior or sat in the New CR-Vs? Material qulity of the Edge is definitely better.

Lastly, while you mentioned Mustangs, you did not mention the Fusion which beat the Camry and Accord in the latest Consumer Reports, increased sales considerably in February, came in second in several comparos, solidly outsold the Hyundai Sonata, has been very reliable according to JD Power and Associates, has had high customer satisfaction, and is available in AWD while the competition is not.

The MKX was DOA. That thing is indeed horriible but I give credit where it is due and the Edge deserves it.
    "If you are going to rely on comparison tests to really tell you if a vehicle is competitive" ...

So, you dont think that when a dozen people who get paid to drive and write about cars for a living come to a conclusion that one should at least pay some attention to what they say?

"Are you saying that fact isn't true?"

Hmmm ... I guess even I can't argue that a fact isn't true.
    But to your point, personally I dont care what 99% of them are going to do and I certainly dont pretend to KNOW what they will do. All I know is that the Edge and the emmmkaaaexxx are the ONLY CUVs who give the driver almost ZERO control over the transmission. So I guess I'm in the 1% who would like to have some input into what the car is doing. Hey, next maybe Ford will give you only 2 radio stations to choose from. But you wont care, will ya?

I was talking about the new Highlander, not the present one. Read my post, if they havent deleted it like they do 1/2 of them. Probably 1/2 as many as they should delete in your mind and a few others here, but I could care less. Lightyears more interesting? I think you have mixed your metaphors here.

The Fusion beat the Camry and Accord in CR? Aren't you the same guy who says CR is full of it? Your "facts" about the Fusion are not entirely factual, but I've no time for it.

Last, you diss the emmkayexx, saying it's 'horrible' yet the lincoln is, if nothing else, an improvement on the Edge, yet you say the Edge is great. Your logic, friend, is a little questionable.
    "i don't like most of 'heyjewels' posts either, but these threads are about opinions. "

No, YOU are.

Last time I'll turn you onto a good joke, Yankee-lover. :P

PS: I guess hogrod didn't like my opinion? They pulled it before i could get my feelings hurt. Pulled my stuff about the great and wise Goreacle too. Oh well, we car buffs wont be able to ignore that gas bag much longer. He'll have us all on roller blades while he flies his private jets to meet with Leo DiCaprio, another brilliant climatologist.
  • pnewbypnewby Member Posts: 277
    But, but, but, how can you predict the "Ambulance Chasers" will love the new Edge, when the IIHSA (or whatever that is) gives it a "best pick" award? I pay much more attention to them and the NHTSA ratings than I ever do to CR or the car rags.
    I was referring to the subpar braking performance of the Edge. EG, the new Tundra or the GM pickups stop almost 2 car lengths quicker than the little FOrd CUVs. BOLD Move?
    Don't be to impressed by the braking figues for Pickup Trucks unless it says the test was done with a payload in it.

Mark.
    Interesting point. And it applies to cars.

The "poor" relative braking performance of the Edge could be due to Ford tuning the brake distribution to a vehicle with four passengers, while the competition has tuned to the distrubution of a typical magazine road test.

I think the brake distance jury will remain out until we see side-by-side comparisons with at least two different static load distributions.
    ok, send me a bad joke, i'll work with it. :)
    going to the ford dealer tomorrow. i think i'll have my kid sit in the back and get an evaluation.
    So, you don't think that when a dozen people who get paid to drive and write about cars for a living come to a conclusion that one should at least pay some attention to what they say?

Okay you picked one line, and left out the meaning of the paragraph. I think they have some insight; however, as I said, if you read them consistently, you'll find that your opinion on the vehicle you buy should be based on your own testdriving experiences which can/will differ from theirs. Is this not true?

So I guess I'm in the 1% who would like to have some input into what the car is doing.

Yes you are. One thing that all companies should do, please the masses. I won't buy a Fusion because it does not habe a manumatic. If you look up my past posts, this is abundantly clear. However, I recognize I am in the minority. I have to be realistic. Most people aren't like me and drive in D at all times. Therefore the D and L in the Edge is adequate for 99% of the population. Is this not true? You and I are in the 1%. I just acknowledge it.

The Fusion beat the Camry and Accord in CR? Aren't you the same guy who says CR is full of it?

Sorry, you've got the wrong man. I don't remember that.

Last, you diss the emmkayexx, saying it's 'horrible' yet the lincoln is, if nothing else, an improvement on the Edge,

That's your opinion. I don't believe that and the consumer doesn't either which is why the sales of the MKX are disappointing and the sales of the Edge are not. The MKX is wall more expensive and doesn't compete at all within its segment. It's up against the Buick Enclave, the Arcadia etc. The Edge is against the Murano, Sante Fe, loaded Rav 4s, Tribecas, etc. No way the Lincoln badge alone justifies the huge price disparity. Features and styling aren't that different. Is this not true?
  • philmophilmo Member Posts: 77
    Why not? 90% of the pickups I see on the road carry nothing more than Bronco bumper stickers and several cubic yards of vanity.
  • tinycadontinycadon Member Posts: 287
    "Besides reliability, American cars can fall down in other areas. Ford, for example, tends to do well in ride and handling, but poorly in braking performance and fuel economy, according to Consumer Reports."
    "From zero to 60 mph, the Audi takes 8.0 seconds, a full second longer than the Mercedes. Its quarter-mile best of 15.9 seconds at 89.1 mph is also slower. Braking tests told the same story. Q7 stopped from 60 mph in 143 feet, some 15 feet longer than the R-Class. It didn't help that the Audi had only 1,077 miles on the brakes at the time."

What are the 0-60 and barking distance for the Ford Edge again? The media loves this vehicle. For the money it costs, shouldn't somebody harp on the stopping distance?
    I had 2 customers factory order Edges Saturday.

People seem to be going for Edges in the barely $30,000k price range. Most of the ones we ordered at my dealer for stock are $32,000 to $36,000.

I still think Ford should be slapped for even bothering with the Edge SE.

The packaging/optioning on this vehicle is enough to drive someone crazy.

The Edge should only be available in SE and SEL. The SE should really be the current SEL and the SEL should be the current SEL +.

Also some of the little adds should be put into a package.

All in all, I expect to do lots of Factory Orders due to the ala cart nature of the Edge.

Mark
    Do you suppose the potential Audi customers are a tad more sophisticated/educated and therefore have a better understanding of the braking distance vs directional control compromise that is involved with an ABS equipped vehicle vs the typical Ford (gun rack included??) customer?
  • markanmarkan Member Posts: 48
    Mark,

Please explain what is available ala carte on the Edge. I haven't talked to a dealer yet but from the literature I have seen it appears that the major options other than wheels and entertainment are part of a package. Thanks for the help.
    I see your point. Sometimes though I think that though they may be a tad more educated, they may be even worse drivers and know even less about driving than your common Ford/Chevy/Honda buyer.

Sometimes they may not even be smarter, they might just have more money. i.e. "Is chicken of the sea, not chicken?" and "What's Wal-Mart?" (qoutes from two of America's richest).
    "... braking distance vs directional control compromise that is involved with an ABS equipped vehicle ..."

Please elaborate on the compromise.
    Here is a public link to the order guide
    http://www.fusionunleashed.com/docs/07.edgeorder.pdf

Stand alone options for SEL + include: nav, audiophile, reverse sensing, vista roof, roof rail cross bars, all weather floor mats, and tow package You have 3 choices of 18 inch wheels or can stick with the standard 17s.

The Trims are a little confusing. The SE is basically a base car and there won't be many out there.

SEL is standard with cloth and without auto climate control or heated seats.

Most SELs will have the seating flex package,
    which includes a power passenger seat, remote 2nd row release, and Leather.

An SEL could also have the premium package INSTEAD of the seating flex package. However this car is only about $500 less than the SEL+
    Premium package includes Leather, 2 zone auto climate control, heated seats, puddle lamps, memory for mirrors and drivers seat and cabin air filter.

SEL + is has both Seating Flex package and Premium package standard.

If you want JUST leather, SEL with seating flex package is the way to go. If you want auto climate control and heated seats, just go for the SEL + its a better value than the SEL with optional premium package.

Mark.
    An ideal anti-lock system would apply the brakes just to the point of ALMOST locking the wheel and then hold them there. Instead the current system predicts that the wheel will soon lock and COMPLETELY releases the brake(s) momentarily.

The result is an on-and-off, bang/bang servo function, wherein the average braking is not as optimal as would be with a much more expensive true closed loop feedback servo system.

Since there are some instances (many or even most??) wherein your anti-lock system is detrimental to shortest stopping distance it might be best overall to simply disable ABS unless the stability control system (VSC, PSM, etc.) detects that the vehicle is not traveling in the desired direction.

I'm of the opinion that high traction braking distances should be published with ABS disabled completely and with it enabled. That way one would know the RAW braking HP available along with just how much of a compromise, or not, the specific ABS design entails.
    "I'm of the opinion that high traction braking distances should be published with ABS disabled completely and with it enabled. That way one would know the RAW braking HP available along with just how much of a compromise, or not, the specific ABS design entails."

Under what road and load conditions?

If this were done, then at least two six several tests need to be run: One with driver only, and one with 4 people and 200# of luggage in the rear. Repeat these two for dry road, and again for wet road, and again for icy road. Repeat for concrete road vs. asphalt. I guarantee that the ABS vehicle would have a MUCH shorter average stopping distance. And, on at least one of the tests, the driver would lose steering control as brake lock-up occurs.

"COMPLETELY releases the brake(s) momentarily"

Are you sure about this? What's your source? How long is the moment in "momentarily".

PLEASE, PLEASE stop the reckless recommendation/implication that people should disable their ABS system.
    "..Under what road and load conditions?.."

KISS...!

Keep It Simple...

Other than ABS on/off why change the way it's currently being done..?

"..Are you sure about this?.."

ABSOLUTELY.

That ~10hz throbbing of the brake pedal is the result of the brake pressure being released/restored to prevent wheel lockup.

I have advised a design change in the method of implementation of ABS, not for anyone as an individual to disable same.

But...

According to the statistical analysis by the IIHS the addition of ABS has had a slight negative effect on overall automotive safety.

The purpose of ABS is NOT to help you stop quicker or in a shorter distance but is there to help you maintain control while stopping as quickly as possible otherwise.

Tell me what modern, 2004 or newer, ABS equipped vehicle you own and I'll point out to you where this, the above, statement is made in your own owners manual
This discussion has been closed.