Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Ford Edge

Comments

• verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    Hello. Sorry if this quesiton has been answered before, but I searched and nothing came back. I am interested in knowing how it handles in the snow. Of course, I'm not thinking that it will be able to handle any off road. What I'd use it for is to drive to Lake Tahoe to go skiing. It is on major roads, but there can be quite a bit snow on the ground. A couple of weeks ago there was over a foot of snow. On paper, AWD and the 8.4" ground clearance sound pretty good, but I'd love to hear from somebody who has real world experience.

TIA

A.
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    "..Under what road and load conditions?.."

KISS...! "

Driving is not simple. How about addressing the issue I presented?

"The purpose of ABS is NOT to help you stop quicker or in a shorter distance but is there to help you maintain control while stopping as quickly as possible otherwise."

And this is bad? Maintaining control is not important?

Do you maintain that most (more than 50%) of drivers should disable their ABS?
  • pnewbypnewby Member Posts: 277
    I think the point was that ABS systems do result in longer stopping distances in many cases for "expert" drivers. ABS is good for "amateur or incompetent" drivers, (in which group I likely belong). I have seen the studies that say ABS is detrimental in many cases, but for the majority of us less than perfect drivers, is likely a good thing. Even on conditions such as deep snow or gravel roads, it can make the distances longer. ABS does away with the build up of snow or gravel in front of the wheel, but true, on ice it will help as much as possible, but the end result on such a surface probably isn't going to be too different. I truly believe AWD and stability control are the major items that can help in avoiding an accident, and yes, I am aware that SC uses the ABS as part of it's package.
    I just don't think the braking difference in the tests you have raved about would make that much difference in overall safety of the vehicle. I still prefer to look at the NHTSA and IIHS ratings when making that decision. Saw an Audi run a red light yesterday, swerve to miss a car, and flip, then hit a light pole while upside down, and I'll guarantee he was in a vehicle with great stopping distances. Luckily the cabin remained intact, and he could walk to the ambulance for the trip to be checked out.
    "I have seen the studies that say ABS is detrimental in many cases ..."

Please provide the sources of this claim.

Actually, the inverse is true. A non-ABS vehicle will have an advantage under one, or just a very few pavement, weather, and vehicle load-distribution combinations. Operate outside this narrow band of parameters and ABS has a clear and very significant safety advantage.

Consider that ABS was outlawed on F1 racing cars because it's considered a drivers' aid, making it too easy for all drivers to brake equally. In nearly every current-day race, a F1 car will crash due to brake lock-up. These are crashes that would be avoided by ABS. I suspect that these drivers are a bit more skilled than the best of America's highway drivers. And they don't have to deal with very large front-to-rear weight distribution (load) changes.

Could today's ABS systems be improved? You bet! And it's my bet that improved systems are already being evaluated.

" I just don't think the braking difference in the tests you have raved about..."

Please direct me to the post where I did the raving.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    ABS is going to be mandatory as a result of the mandatory ESC requirement.

Ford stated previously it will meet the ESC requirement by 2009 model year prior to the 2012 deadline.

Wheter you like ABS or not, its coming.

Mark.
  • dryland305dryland305 Member Posts: 1
    verdugo:

I thought I'd read a few positive comments about how the Edge handled in the snow, but could only find a brief mention of it here.

You might find out more information at these sites - fordedgeforum.com or blueovalforums.com. Good luck.
  • verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    Thanks dryland. I will check them out.
  • brihambriham Member Posts: 33
    Check out this Ford Edge video filmed at the old El Toro Marine Corps base:

http://www.automedia.com/spotlight/fordedge.aspx
  • brantybranty Member Posts: 53
    Here is a link to a positive review of the Edge.
    http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/cc/07edge.htm

There is an interesting comment about the brakes which does not suggest any major concerns: "The brakes are strong, though the pedal is a bit spongy. There's about an inch of useless pedal travel before the binders bite, but once they do, they're easy to modulate for smooth stops."
    Some Ford Stats:

‘TOP TEN’ FORD AND LINCOLN MERCURY HIGHLIGHTS
    By Staff Report
    Published: March 13, 2007

Ford Edge Market Share Neck and Neck with Nissan Murano : In February, its second full month on sale, the Ford Edge earned a 12.5 percent share of the medium crossover utility segment – higher than the gas-model Toyota Highlander (11.7 percent) and closing in on the Nissan Murano (12.6 percent).

Ford Edge Outsells GMC Acadia and Saturn Outlook Combined : In February, Ford sold a total of 7,997 Edges, 521 more units than the gas-powered Toyota Highlander and only 103 units less than Nissan Murano. Edge outsold the GMC Acadia and Saturn Outlook combined by 1,814 units.

Lincoln MKX Passes Competitors :In January and February, its first two full months on sale, the 2007 Lincoln MKX outsold the Cadillac SRX by nearly 17 percent (4,007 units vs. 3,432 units). On average, each Lincoln MKX is sold or “turned” in 12 days. That is four days faster than the Acura MDX, more than twice as fast as the Cadillac SRX and Lexus RX 350, and more than three times faster than Infiniti FX35, according to J.D. Power PIN data.

Ford Mustang Share up Sharply : The Mustang dramatically improved its market share in the sporty coupe segment in the first two months of the year, rising from 39 percent in 2006 to 51 percent today. While overall sales are down so far this year, the spring and summer selling seasons (March – August) account for more than half of annual sales.

Ford Escape, Mercury Mariner Hybrid Tax Credits Increase :Because the real world fuel economy of the Ford Escape and Mercury Mariner Hybrids increased for the 2008 model year, the Federal income tax credits available now are $3,000 for FWD models (up $400) and $2,200 on 4WD models (up $250). The Ford and Mercury Hybrids now have the highest tax credit of any hybrid – up to $900 more than the closest competitor. For both vehicles, the new EPA-certified fuel economy for FWD models is 34 mpg city and 30 mpg highway, and 29 mpg city and 27 mpg highway for AWD models.

Insurance Discounts for Ford Escape, Mercury Mariner Hybrids : Travelers, one of the largest providers of personal insurance products in the United States, offers hybrid drivers in the states of California, New Jersey, Texas, New York, Maryland, Florida, Kentucky, Georgia and Washington discounts of up to 10 percent on certain coverages. The company estimates their hybrid policy business grew by 200 percent in 2006.

Ford Fusion, Ford Escape Rank among the Top “Smart Cars for Teens,” according to www.forbes.com. Among the criteria: value, reliability and safety. Fusion was singled out by Forbes for its standard safety equipment, good crash test ratings, gas mileage, “very good” accident-avoidance capabilities and “much better than average” predicted reliability.

“Ford is Showing Moxie,” according to a www.businessweek.com column. Writing about the Ford Challenge, the columnist said, “Suburban and Tahoe have the best reputations in the full-size SUV market…but the new Expedition, especially the extended version, to me, seems like a better styled and packaged vehicle than the Chevy SUVs. The interior is first rate, and the third-row seat advantage is clear.” The column also said, “The Ford Fusion is a car that far over-achieves … perception, and that is a story that can be told.”

Greener Miles: With the launch of the 2008 Ford Taurus and Mercury Sable this summer, every sedan Ford and Mercury sell in California, New York, Connecticut, Maine and Massachusetts will be available with a “green” powertrain option. The Ford Focus, Fusion I-4 and Taurus will be PZEVs, or partial zero emissions vehicles, as will the Mercury Milan I-4 and Mercury Sable. That makes their tailpipe emissions as clean – or cleaner – than many hybrids. The Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis, meanwhile, are E-85-capable in all 50 states, with increased ethanol usage reducing the country’s dependence on imported oil.

Rock Stars, Ford Cars and Guitars : Three Fords will be centerpieces of the exhibit “Rock Stars, Cars and Guitars,” which opens at The Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, Mich. on June 9. They are the 1971 De Tomaso Pantera formerly owned by Elvis Presley, which includes a bullet hole shot by the King himself; the 1932 “Silver Sapphire” Ford coupe that appeared on the cover of the Beach Boys’ album “Little Deuce Coupe”; and the 1932 Ford Hi-Boy Phaeton hot rod featured in the Van Halen music video “Hot for Teacher.”

http://www.blueovalnews.com/index.php?categoryid=12&p2_articleid=501

Mark
  • brihambriham Member Posts: 33
    Pretty cool video shot at El Toro, the former Marine Corps base:

Ford Edge Video
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    So Ford is impressed? They had a good month! And the HL is down as people wait for the redesigned model later this year.

At least Ford has some news that's positive. I guess you have to toot your horn to drum up some traffic.

What's up with the new ad campaign. Who's comparing a Edge and a BMW or Lexus RX? That ain't happenin'! :lemon:

Ford is smokin' what Hyundai is smokin'. Both are struggling, and using old ideas to sell new cars.

How about selling against your competition, not your dreams? :confuse:

DrFill
  • lnelsonrlnelsonr Member Posts: 1
    We've purchased a new 2007 Ford EDGE (non-AWD) and LOVE it. We shopped what we consider to be all the competitive models and found it to be the best value among the group.

But, I have a question. When sitting on an incline, with the transmission in "D"rive, and with foot off the brake, the vehicle freely coasts backwards with nothing restricting it.

My Ford F150, in the same situation, won't roll backwards when in "D"rive. It does go back about six inches and then kinda locks in place until you hit the gas. This has been my experience with all automatic transmission cars in the past.

So, existing owners, I need your input. Does your vehicle coast backwards when in "D"rive, or do I have a defective transmission? The Ford Service Manager doesn't feel it's an issue. I do.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    The only way to tell if it was designed that way is to try a different Edge and see if it behaves the same way. It probably will.

This is a function of the amount of power the engine produces at idle and the stall speed of the torque converter. If the engine produces enough power at idle for the torque converter to begin transferring power to the tranmission, the car will move forward. This is normal on a flat surface - at idle speed the car will move forward if you release the brake. However, if you're on an incline then more power is required to move the vehicle forward (or at least stop it from rolling backwards).

Truck engines are tuned to produce more torque at lower rpm and the torque converter should have a lower stall speed - both of which make the truck less likely to roll backwards at idle speed.

Welcome to the world of higher RPM, lower torque car engines.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hey doc - funny I should find you agitating over here, too! ;) Let's keep this one on topic, okay?
    Lexus is known for quietness and BMW is known for performance. The fact that the Edge beats them in their respective best in class categories says a lot more than if they just compared the edge to a Murano.

Edge is quieter than a Murano!

Edge is quieter than a Lexus RX350!

Especially since the cars being compared are thousands of dollars more than the edge.

I have no problem with this as long as it's apples to apples (all midsize CUVs). If it's apples to oranges then it gets silly (Fusion handles better than a Mercedes GL e.g.).
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    The Edge has a variable displacement ATF pump so anything is possible....

No good reason to have high ATF pressure/volume unless the throttle is open beyond idle, better FE overall to boot.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A large local newspaper is looking to interview consumers who are considering purchasing a Ford vehicle. If you are interested in speaking to the reporter, please reply to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Friday, April 20, 2007 with your daytime contact info.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• advequityguyadvequityguy Member Posts: 138
    Gotta call ya out on this one. The Edge is #2 in sales in it's class (a hair shy of #1) in it's first month of release without relying on fleet sales and you take it upon yourself to translate that into a bad thing?

The fact is, if the Edge had a Toyota badge on it and the Lexus RX had the Ford badge, you'd be talking the same smack.

Did the vaunted Toyota Tundra make it to #2 in it's class in it's first month of sales? It's not even going to make it to #4 this year.

The Edge has sold well because it is a superior vehicle at a bargain price. Heck, I even bought one. I traded in my BMW for it, by the way, which retired as the car that has caused me the most problems and had the highest cost of ownership of any vehicle I have ever owned.

I'm not real sure what to make of your other comments....

Using old ideas to sell new cars? It would be nice if you pointed out a few of those old ideas. It would be even nicer if you would compare and contrast the old ideas to some new ideas that other companies are using. It's not enough to spout the catch phrase if you have no logic behind it.

Selling against you competition, not your dreams. Another nice catch phrase. I take it you think that Ford should target Hyundai as competition and that no one in their right mind would purchase a Ford when there are plenty of BMWs and Lexi to be had. I have some news for you, sir. I assure you there are many Ford vehicles that cost quite a bit more than some BMWs and Lexi, and some of them sell pretty well. Go to a Ford dealership at your convenience to learn just how much one can spend on a truck if one chooses to do so. Trust me. I own one of them too.
    You can only wish, as I do, that Ford could/would build a vehicle in the class of the RX. But it is nice that they are leading the pack with the Edge to defeat the industry wide FWD problem with 1-2 second transaxle downshift delay/hesitation via a variable displacement ATF pump.

Nice.

Now if Ford would just "license" that design aspect, technology, to Honda in exchange for the SH-AWD technology.
    SH-AWD is just a marketing ploy. I want to stop this thread before it gets out of hand.

Active All-Wheel Drive (AWD)
    Ford Edge is a front-wheel drive vehicle with available All-Wheel Drive (AWD). The All-Wheel Drive system reacts to the driver. It enhances the level of traction and control in all weather conditions. On the highway, the vehicle is driven by the front wheels for efficiency. When increased handling or traction is required, the AWD system actively controls power to all four wheels independently. This provides a balanced level of control.

• Seamless operation with no switch and totally transparent
    operation
    • Tuned with an emphasis on performance while offering
    all-weather driving confidence
    • Constantly predicts traction conditions and delivers torque
    to the appropriate wheel by monitoring:
    – Vehicle speed
    – Throttle input
    – Steering angle
    – Wheel slip
    • Helps eliminate torque steer and helps balance the vehicle
    when cornering
    • An active on-demand coupler can deliver the precise
    amount of torque to all four wheels even before the wheels
    begin to slip
    • Because AWD is paired with AdvanceTrac,® Active AWD
    can transfer torque to a single wheel with the best traction

Now, go to www.acura.com and read what they say about SH-AWD. Yes they sound like the same thing to me.
  • advequityguyadvequityguy Member Posts: 138
    Same class as an RX? They need to come out with an overpriced rebadged Toyota? Personally, if I'm speding that kind of jack, it wont be on anything Japaneese. Maybe German, but surely not Japaneese. I just cant bring myself to do it. I just cant let myself look like the typical Japcar jockey.
  • tck2tck2 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same issue!!!. Went back to the dealer and the service tech said it was normal operation and suggested I take out another Edge for comparison, which I haven't done yet. I think it's an issue also. I think Ford should explain before purchase, as the roll back is pretty fast. It really caught me off guard the first time. Almost like driving a standard shift when on an incline. I think Ford has done a poor job in communicating this "normal operation".
  • kenziezachkenziezach Member Posts: 5
    I just bought a 2007 Ford Edge SEL+ AWD Redfire Metallic. It has a Vista Roof, DVD Nav, and most of the other toys. Its a blast to drive, and you see everyone looking at you when your going down the street. My question is about the stereo. I spaced off getting XM Stereo added to it when I bought the vehicle. Can this be added to the current radio, or do I have to buy something aftermarket. Like I said, I have the DVD Nav system with the radio. I didn't know if it was something they could program into it. Any help would be greatful.
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    Ford has Sirius satellite radio available. You will have to add the antenna on the spoiler as well as a tuner that will plug into the radio. Once you add those items, your Nav radio will work just like you had the satellite radio on it from the start.
  • spaceman210spaceman210 Member Posts: 50
    You guys that have one - any significant problems or regrets? For a newly designed vehicle I do not see the typical slew of early build complaints, as I do for example with the Mistu. Outlander (bad bearings, wind noise, bad radios). Does the Edge seem tightly built?
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    I have sat in an Edge and will sit in the MKX soon. Looking online it doesn't appear that it is worth spending the extra money. I see a little longer warranty and air conditioned seats. I don't care about the styling differences or any exclusivity issues. Is there anything else that would make the MKX worth the extra? Is there better dealer treatment a la Lexus?
    Dealers are hit and miss - depends on that specific dealer. You do usually get a free loaner at Lincoln dealers but it's not required.

There should be a noticeable difference in the sound deadening and ride quality in addition to what you can see and touch.
    My L-M dealer simply points to the Hertz counter for warranty service cars.
    At my dealer, the people are not comparing the 2 to each other. The customer is basically comparing the Edge to other vehicles in its price range and the MKX to more expensive lux. vehicles. BMW X5, Caddy SRwhatever, Lexus RX.

Mark.
    How easy or hard is it to upgrade brakes?
    New pads (like the Porterfield R4S) can make a big difference. You can change them yourself for less than $200. Better tires will also help.

But don't assume it's a problem until you drive one. Those who've driven them don't seem to have a problem with the brakes.
    Were it not for the electronically controlled ABS activation it would be SUPER easy. With ABS the stronger you make the braking capability, brake HP, the quicker the ABS will activate to lower the new braking capability, often needlessly so if loss of directional control is not being threatened.
    Here we go again. :(
    Well, isn't that the raw truth..?

ABS equipped vehicles having powerful enough braking brakes to cause the wheels to QUICKLY reach lockup the FASTER will be ABS activation to prevent lockup.

Anyone dispute that...??
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    With ABS the stronger you make the braking capability, brake HP, the quicker the ABS will activate to lower the new braking capability...

That sounds like incompetent programming. A sound ABS design takes the "brake HP" (aka Stopping Power) into proper account.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    In order for the ABS programming to do that it would need some way to "know", directly, the coefficient of friction between the tire surface and the roadbed. The best that could be had in that category would be an accelerometer to measure the rate at which the vehicle itself is slowing, changing speed. Even with that, if the resulting computation indicated that FULL wheel lockup might result in the highest level (it often will) of slowing/stopping due to braking it would still need to release braking HP to allow some rotation level of the front wheels.

At the moment ABS works by "watching" the rate of slowing of each individual wheel and thereby "predicts" how soon in the "future" it will reach a lockup state and actuates the brake pressure release solenoid at the precise time to still allow enough tire rotation for directional control given the current road speed and to prevent full lockup.

The ABS programming "target" is to help the driver in maintaining directional control during heavy/severe braking. So the object is to keep the front wheels turning "just" enough, given the current roadspeed, that any stearing inputs by the driver will be "followed" reasonably well, quickly. A secondary issue is to not allow the rear (and front) wheels's to use such a high level of the roadbed traction for braking as to enter a skidding condition.

Lots of people seem to think ABS is used, designed, programmed, to "simulate", accomplish the same purpose, as "threshold" braking, it is NOT.
    Wrong again.
    Gee...

What'd I expect.
    Lateralg is a retired automotive brake systems engineer.

Did you get your technical knowledge from Car and Driver or did you also read Motor Trend?
    Very rarely read nor subscribe to any automotive magazines, they're obligated not to reduce the ad revenue by printing adverse info.

The best I can say for my education is I got all the way into the 6th week of 10th grade before dropping out and joining the USAF. Been in the computer business since '69 after ~7 years at Boeing.

More detail can be found via google.....

Sounds as if lateralg retired before ABS came on the scene.
    Unless your company makes ABS processors I still don't see anything that lends any credibility to your argument. You simply have a theory based on how you *think* brakes operate. As opposed to the auto mfrs who have teams of dedicated engineers with millions of actual tests.

If your idea is so great - go get a patent and sell it to the auto mfrs.
  • svofan2svofan2 Member Posts: 442
    Does anyone has an idea when is the time to order the 2008 model of the EDGE?...my Expedition lease ends in April next year and I would like to order an EDGE fully loaded and in the color I want and from what i hear it takes between 8-12 weeks to arrive on new orders...I want to see if i can time this order..thanks all/
  • robw64robw64 Member Posts: 76
    I just returned from a 4-day business trip, during which I had a 2007 Edge SEL for rental transportation. I spent a lot of time assessing the vehicle and wanted to share some impressions.

This is a darn good-looking vehicle. The black exterior color with tan leather interior is a great combination, and the chrome grille is really striking. When my hosts invited me to lunch we all piled in the Edge and two separate restaurant customers asked me about it. One of the reps at the company I was visiting thought it was a Lexus......until we got inside, where she immediately commented on the ugly dash set up.

The Edge is very roomy and comfortable, but the headrests are positioned in an odd manner and the manual seatback adjustment made it hard to find a setting where the headrest wasn't a nuisance. Passengers in the back seat commented on the amount of leg and head room, but found the exposed seat tracks in the floor to be unappealing.

The center stack on the Edge is just plain ugly. The striped metallic plastic that surrounds the audio and climate controls looks cheap and sounds hollow. The rest of the dash, however, had great fit & finish and the two-tone color scheme was very nice. The speed/tach gauge cluster was easy to use, but I found it strange that there was no "off" setting for the climate control fan (I finally figured out that the empty circle on the vent dial indicated "off").

Driving the vehicle was very easy. Steering was a bit heavy at low speeds, but was extremely responsive when travelling at a normal pace around town. Because I was a stranger in town, I had a chance to check out the impressive turning radius after missing an entrance or two. Road and engine noise were clearly heard at all times, but I might be spoiled by my own vehicle in that regard (a Cadillac DTS).

Overall, the vehicle was really very nice. My only suggestions for improvement would be:

1 - add power seatback adjustment and adjustable headrests.
    2 - re-design the unattractive center stack on the dash.
    Sorry, I don't need credibility....

If you don't want to believe then it's simple, DON'T.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Let's have a little less talk about what we think of each other and more talk about what we think of the Edge. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    If you don't want to believe then it's simple, DON'T.

I DON'T - so can we stop discussing it?
    Sure, "we" just did.
  • davidb3davidb3 Member Posts: 3
    To pick up on a point by ROBW64, the headrests in my SEL+ are positioned in a seemingly poor angle; they tilt so far forward it's hard to find a seatback angle that works for your back without causing your head to contact the top of the rest. Anyone with real Ford insight into why the rakish angle and, more importantly, what I can do to adjust? I'd be up for having the mounting bars bent to a more reasonable angle if I could figure out how to disassemble the rest from the seat.
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    I love the head rests as they provide super support and safety. I am 6'4" and they fit me perfectly. I hate headrests that are so far back they offer little protection in a crash. Just personal taste, but I like having the contact and support.
This discussion has been closed.