Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Ford Edge

Comments

• mountfr1mountfr1 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for your quick response. I'll have to check the Torrent's dimensions out. I need the Edge to be able to fit in our garage.. Again, thanks a bunch.
  • twaintwain Member Posts: 185
    Yes, a 23k Edge would be great but it won't happen. I expect the Edge to start in the high 20s with a fully loaded model approaching 35k.

I really like the Edge but if it's 5k more than a CX7, that could be trouble. I'd like to know if the CX7 will require premium fuel for the turbo.
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    Yes, a 23k Edge would be great but it won't happen. I expect the Edge to start in the high 20s with a fully loaded model approaching 35k.

If you're right, and you might be, expect high $ incentives early on (within 6 months of intro) to move them. A 25K base with a loaded model at 32K would sell briskly without rebates. We'll have to wait and see what direction Ford wants to take. It looks like they've got a winner - I hope they don't screw it up again! ;)
  • tinamarietinamarie Member Posts: 9
    You guys are right, they do have a winner and I just watched some snot nosed journalist from Forbes on Neil Cavuto's show talking about how the big three don't have anything to show off at the Detroit show and american cars are lacking in quality. I know this forum is about the edge and she will be in my driveway sometime but I need to rant for a minute about this american car stuff. Where I live you do not see a Japanese car that is older than 10 years old due to all the rust, is that quality? I have a 1988 mustang that would put any 1988 Japanese car to shame. I'm not even talking about engines, I mean interior, exterior, overall quality. Sorry guys I'm just so sick of hearing american cars getting a bad rap.
    A 25K base with a loaded model at 32K would sell briskly without rebates.
    --------------------------------

I think you're about right on. If Ford can price the base under 25k and sell most for under 30k, they've got a winner. If most models turn up at 30k plus, buyers will cross the street to the Mazda dealer and get a 25k CX7.

Also, a 250hp V6 5speed auto Saturn Vue starts at about 22k. So anything over 27k for an Edge looks pretty excessive.

Great job by Ford with the 250hp 3.5V6 and the 6 speed auto. It's about time.
    A 5-passanger vehicle should get better mpg than a 7-passanger. Why build a 4000lb 5-passanger vehicle? I would like to see is a shrunk down version of the Edge, same look and features, but smaller, lighter, and perhaps little lower.
    ------------------------------------------------

I agree that 4000lbs is a lot of weight for a 5pass vehicle. If that weight translated to 80 cu ft of cargo space but it doesn't. I wish the Edge had come in under 3600lbs but we can't have everything. ;)

If the combined mileage is mid 20s, that's not bad for 4000lbs. The size and weight of the Edge is the price we pay to get that upscale, "luxury" image. Every Edge owner will know an Escape is his "poor" cousin. ;)
  • gregagrega Member Posts: 31
    First, Ford is a value leader and because the Edge is based on a high volume (Mazda-6) platform, expect entry-level 2wd pricing BELOW $20K ($19.9K ish). This will give Ford a value pricing position to support their goal for CUV Leadership.

I would NOT expect a fully loaded Edge to get too close to $30K because it will compete with the Lincoln MKX.

Expect the Mazda-CX7 to place in the mid-$20K up to $30K.

Since these vehicles share the Mazda-6 platform (Fusion, Milan, Zephyer, etc.) they should weigh 3500-4000 pounds with the MKX being the heaviest with more sound-deadening insulation.
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    The Edge was one of the most interesting vehicles at the LA Auto Show, mainly due to the interior. My wife and I much prefered it to its Mazda CX-7 and Lincoln Mark X siblings.

I was surprised to see on Ford's media web site that the fuel milage will only be in the mid 20-MPG range on the highway. Ford shows 18-19 city and 24 highway and premium required for the CX-7 version. Even though I drive over 35,000 miles per year, a CX-7 would only save me about $300 per year over an Explorer Limited V8 (with regular at $2.40 and premium at $2,60). Even though the Edge will run on regular, and probably achieve a bit better mileage than the CX-7, it would probably only save me about $900 per year on fuel vs the Explorer Limited V8. For someone who drives more typical distances, the annual savings would be less than half those amounts.

Now consider the weights. Ford shows that an Edge with front wheel drive will weigh 4,086 pounds, while Edmunds shows that an Explorer Limited V8 with rear wheel drive weighs 4,531 pounds. The Edge weighs just 445 pounds less! For comparison, the CX-7 weight is listed as 3,710 for the front wheel drive version, so it is a bit lighter. The Edge is just too heavy.

The price of the Edge and other CUVs will be lower than that of the traditional SUVs, so if there are any significant savings to be had, it will only be there. However, the traditional SUV has more interior space, the option of a third row seat, and towing capabilities which the CUVs can't match.

I have no doubts that the Edge and CX-7 will sell well, but they would be far more attractive if Ford would engineer out the excessive weight.
  • ranger2001xltranger2001xlt Member Posts: 85
    After reviewing the Media Release and reading about features and expected pricing I am happy I pulled the trigger and bought the Freestyle when I did.

Some things which did not impress me about this car:

Highway mileage in Mid 20s? (Is that an AWD figure?) The 3.5 was touted as being more fuel efficient than the 3.0 Duratec but the highway mileage for the Freestyle AWD is 24 mpg. (I think I remember reading an expected 10% improvement in a press release for the 3.5 about 2 years ago). Where is the fuel efficiency of this new engine/tranny if it is rated in the mid 20s? And don't conclude it is getting eaten up by the extra weight of the Edge as we are talking EPA figures and the movement of the vehicle is already in motion for Highway MPG tests. Plus the Edge has a 6 speed transmission and that feature was supposed to be worth an extra 6%-7% in fuel economy.

In additon my AWD Freestyle really manages only about 16mpg in the city when it is EPA rated for 19mpg. And less than 24 on the highway. I expect the same rate of deteriation with the new 3.5 regardless of what figure the EPA puts on it. I remember reading the new 3.5 was supposed to be comparable in weight and size to the current 3.0 so that can't be the reason.

The suspension of the Freestyle is more advanced than the Edge's (Mazda 6) platform. So I am having a hard time of understanding why the Edge weighs more. I haven't ridden in a vehicle with this platform but it would have a long way to go to impress me more than the Freestyle/500 chasis.

Only a five passenger vehicle? I agree that it will have to start out around $22 grand to get people to choose this over the Freestyle (starts around $24). Probably the reason Ford is moving the Freestyle to a Mercury nameplate.
    Maybe they are counting on it's HotWheels appearance. And I guess there are people that would be swooned into a purchasing decision based on that alone. But there are rational ones who foresee $3.00 a gallon gas prices not too far away as a norm.

I am not impressed with the interior layout. The door arm rests looks really small and cheap. The center console stack is just ho-hum. Not like the big round climate control vents on the Freestyle with a unique dash storage bin.

Futuristic appearance but where are the futuristic announcements for a Hybrid version? Yes, Ford did say in the future... but when an how much? Ford makes mention of a possible High Performance version but why no mention of a more Green tuned version?
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    This is the issue...

"OH but I want those beautiful large 18 inch wheels, they look beautiful"...
    Trade-Off=Your MPG drops because of the added weight, and the amount of tire that makes contact with the road.

"OH but it better be quieter than a Lexus"...
    Tradeoff= About 200lbs more in insulation, thicker windows, thicker windshield, bigger seals, thicker carpeting and material padding.

"OH but it better have the best safety test ratings"...
    Tradeoff= More weight, thick crosscar crossmembers (most other vehicles do not even have this feature, lifted from the D3 vehicles. Vehicle designed to superceed future side-crash standards.

Then you have a circle, where "I want the vehicle to be more fuel efficient", but then toss the above requirements, and it's important to find a good balance.

More extensive use of aluminum can also help reduce weight, but...
    A) Costlier to repair if there's an accident, and some parts would just require total replacement, which this might trickle down and require higher insurance premiums for customers.

B) Not every autoshow can work with aluminum, specially if used extensive in the platform (as Jag XJ, Audi A8).

C) ??? It's forgivable at $65K+, but for a vehicle that will start around $25K, it'll inflate the price a bit on the bottom end.

The Duratec35 will fit, and takes up just as much space as where the Duratec30 now fits. It also doesn't weight anymore than that current powerplant. The 6 speed automatic weights a bit less as well in retrospect.

Hybrid versions will follow after they are made available first on the Fusion/Milan.

BTW, the CX-7 will require premium because of it's forced induction engine. While the Edge/MKX will make due with regular. Again, the zoom-zoom customers might be a bit less forgiving for doing so, than the Edge customer.

In fact, if the Duratec35 goes premium with some minor changes, your looking around 275-290HP easily.
  • deerlake7deerlake7 Member Posts: 176
    I'm interested in replacing our current crossover and the Edge looks promising, but I'm concerned about component reliability. Over the years I've purchased a couple of Sables from relatives for my high school aged kids. The core engines and transmissions have been very durable, but after about 60000 miles the other components failed. Electronics/computer, fuel & water pumps, heater cores, brake and suspension components, etc. What's Ford doing to beef these parts up in the Edge? I've never had those problems with my Hondas.
    ANT14 - that is exactly the problem with improving fuel efficiency. It is exacerbated because so many buyers are using credit, so the salespeople will say things such as "the 18 inch wheels will only cost you $15 more per month." The dealers also exacerbate the problem, as they order vehicles loaded or stripped, with not much in between. People also easily forget that expensive options yield small differences in resale value.

I wonder how many people will buy an Edge because CUVs are "hot" and SUVs are not, and how many will calculate their annual fuel cost and buy a traditional SUV?

If people would evaluate their needs more realistically and order a vehicle, rather than taking whatever is on the lots, they would minimize the vehicle weight, cost, and complexity (future repair costs). For example, a sun/moon roof is something I would rarely use, but which is expensive and heavy, so I won't buy it. Other people might really want a sun/moon roof, but not want four wheel drive, a third row seat, or whatever else.
  • barnstormer64barnstormer64 Member Posts: 1,106
    People also easily forget that expensive options yield small differences in resale value.

And yet sites like this one (Edmunds) actually show that options DO increase the resale value . . quite substantially, actually.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    I'd think too that the Edge better start at about $20K for it to be competitive. I look at the Edge-Freestyle comparison similar to the Escape-Explorer comparison. If the Escape was the same price as the Explorer, nobody would buy it, and if the Edge is priced the same as the Freestyle, then why go for the Edge?
  • seahoss1seahoss1 Member Posts: 1
    I was interested in Freestyle until I saw it's tow rating. 2000 lbs is too low. Even the Escape V6 is 3500. Some of the additonal weight on the Edge may have to do with its ability to haul 3500 lbs.
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    And yet sites like this one (Edmunds) actually show that options DO increase the resale value . . quite substantially, actually.

What they show and what you'll get are two different things. You're better off buying the "step up" packages so to speak - as in LS to LT to LTZ for Chevy - than buying an LS full of LTZ options. A family member recently sold an '04 Infiniti G35 coupe and while the "car" retained over 80% of it's MSRP, the $4,000 in options retained $1,500 - that's typical and reinforces fsmmcsi's comments.
    Yes, dodgeman07, that is exactly what I meant.
  • kjnormankjnorman Member Posts: 243
    [i]If you like the seating position, but don't want a crossover, try the Five Hundred[/i]

Sorry, but I can not get over the nose on the 500. I like the back (I think it is mercedes-esque, but the nose is a real downer.

Kerry.
    I agree with you on the Freestyle's lack of towing. I never tow anything, and if you look on roads, it's pretty unusual for anything but an SUV to tow something, so it's trade-off between making a vehicle capable of towing and adding extra weight and a larger engine just in case it might be used. To me it makes sense not to design a car/engine for towing to keep the weight down and the engine more efficient for the actual weight of the vehicle. But the marketers probably like to advertise towing capacity, even if a car rarely tows anything.
    The Edge is using much more reliable components. Those of the Taurus/Sable work, for what it is, designed, for when it was, mentaility of an era gone by.

Many of the components for the Edge are designed to last 150K miles. Of course, there's always going to be some that don't last that long. I'm amazed, anything lasts in any of my cars with the foot I have.
  • ottavottav Member Posts: 31
    Ant,

When are we going to see the Magellan?
  • kjnormankjnorman Member Posts: 243
    My bet would be the Chicago auto show if the car is to go on sale in the Fall as an '07. Or is the car going to be an '08 going on sale in '07. I originally thought the former, but now I am not so sure..

EDIT:
    I checked the Chicago Auto Show website and the Megellan is not listed as being one of the cars on show (unless Ford/Mercury pull of a surprise). So I guess we will have to wait until the New York Auto Show in April....
  • frasierdogfrasierdog Member Posts: 128
    Time and temperature kill more than miles.

A 12 year old car with 40k miles is still a 12 year old car.
    Fall of '06.
  • freealfasfreealfas Member Posts: 652
    See the Freestyle if you want 3 rows, today even at your local dealer, don't have to wait for anything, hence why it is not a direct competitor to the edge...
    I trust you never have sat in the Freestyle, my 6'3 father and 6'2 self sat in the 3rd row of our freestyle and could indeed travel back there for a bit of time if need be, while not a 2nd row seat by any means it was MORE than adequate for anyone who might be sitting there for a couple hour trip without having to stop. What you also fail to realize is that there is still usable space(as opposed to those mentioned) behind an occupied 3rd row of the freestyle capable of groceries, strollers, whatever. So in the grand scheme of things comparing the Edge and Freestyle makes little sense. What makes sense is identifying your need and buying accordingly instead of inaccurate comparisons. The edge is not a competitor to those mentioned, think 5 seat competitors, not 7 and then make your case.
    Buy the freestyle now as it is better, safer, and more capable than anything you have mentioned save the Audi, but at the same time I do not think you can compare the FS and the Audi as one is 5 vs 7 seating, the Audi is a car, The FS is not. Get rid of the Expedition, skip the edge unless all you need is seating for 5 and think of all the gas money you've saved alone would be enough to make the Freestyle the best decision you could buy now, today, no waiting.
    It doesn't NEED the 3.5l, the FS is more than capable in its present guise. Do you own one or have you driven one??? What if it presently came with the 250hp/3.5l, you'd be looking for a 4.0l/300hp version because it "needed" it. It's already at the head of its crossover class with what it has, Move on already from this dead horse... The FS is a great ride for what it is, a very capable and well conceived crossover.

"Compared to the Freestyle, I notice that the Edge is shorter (185.7 vs 200.7), taller (67 vs 60.1), and heavier (4098 vs. 3649)"

Think about this, the Edge that is less capable then the Freestyle is the one that will actually NEED the 3.5l to keep up with it's big brother Freestyle because 50hp is about right to haul around all the extra weight that forward thinking, well conceived design needed to be realized to the satisfaction of the buying public. Let's not forget that other enemy, frontal area, that's going to need a few poines as well to push it inefficiently through the air. In the end, Such a leap forward, I think not you just spelled it out yourself, who's kidding who at the end of the day here folks. Freestyle wins hand's down and I haven't even mentioned the Volvo platform it rides on and the safety features that gives it...
    I say again, Have YOU driven one or are you just on the bandwagon like the rest. We're not desperate here with our PURCHASE in any regard. If you want to complain, ding the interior material selections, that's worth complaining about, not the drivetrain or platform and all its standard class leading safety features.
    How would you compare the 3rd row roominess in the Freestyle vs. an Explorer/Mountaineer?
    OK, thanks.

I work right down the street from the Javits Center, so I guess I'll check it out at the NY Auto show.
    Will the Magellan incorporate any improvements that Ford has learned since the initial design and production of the Freestyle?
    I have driven the Freestyle, both my brother's new one and several Freestyles, Five Hundreds, and Montegos from dealerships. The power is borderline for me to feel safe in LA traffic. However, the noise made by the engine and drivetrain with the CVT is annoying. That is probably the bigger issue for most people. Of course, none of this soon matter, as the new 3.5 with the new Ford/GM six speed automatic will replace the 3.0 with the CVT or Japaneese automatic (or be available as an option) in the Edge, Lincoln version of the Edge, Freestyle (or whatever they call it), Five Hundred, Montego, Fusion, Milan, Zephyr and who knows what else.

The strange and ugly bar across the part of the Freestyle dash where a storage compartment should be located is the main shortcoming when compared with the Edge interior, and the Edge lacks the very nice storage compartment at the top center of the dash in the Freestyle.
    I live in Chicago and completely disagree, its soft off the line but has great power in the midrange where you need it. How is that underpowered when it is fastest in class. Furthermore what is the point of marginally faster 0-60 time when the majority of buyers could care less and don't spend their days running off 0-60 sprints. Where do you stop with it all, 250hp/300hp/400hp, yeah I like HP as much as the next guy hence my time at the track, but I do not think the world needs 400hp CUV/SUV's for their high school kids to be taking out at night because its the safe car with no competent training in how to handle it. It all starts to be more than a little ludicrous and pointless this mindset that more is always good. Where does it stop...
    I agree that horsepower wars are something for muscle cars, but had the Freestyle / Five Hundred / Montego come out with the 3.5 and new transmission, I doubt that anybody would have complained, as they now do about the 3.0 system. Fortunately, Ford is not making that same mistake with the Edge.

As for fastest in its class, what are the other members of the class? Just the Pacifica, a vehicle which is slow enough that I do consider it to be unsafe? If the class includes more crossovers such as the Edge, Freestyle, RX330, MDX, and so forth, then the Freestyle is certainly not the fastest.
    Such a leap forward, I think not you just spelled it out yourself, who's kidding who at the end of the day here folks. Freestyle wins hand's down and I haven't even mentioned the Volvo platform it rides on and the safety features that gives it...
    ------------------------------

Logical or not, style sells cars as much as substance. The Freestyle is probably more practical. But it also looks more like a wagon. IMO, the Edge wins on style. It has an upscale sporty look that will compete with the Murano and Lexus330. If it's thousands less than those two, Ford will sell every one they make.

The right side of our brain knows the Freestyle is a better choice. But the left side of our brain wants the Edge. ;)
    What sort of improvments are you reffering too? There will be quite a few.
    Have not been in the back seat of the explorer but my father 6'3 and I 6'2 and could sit in the 3rd row of the freestyle reasonably comfortable and could travel for a couple hour trip is need be, considering both my father and I are around 250lbs I say this is quite a testament to the FS packaging. The other benefit is usable space behind the 3rd row that the competitors do no have to the same extent, I could get stroller and groceries behind the 3rd row in the up position with 6 + baby seat on board. Everyone was comfortable, safe and I got 26mpg @65+mph to boot. Can't see any of the others being able to say the same if that is what your need is. The Edge/FS comparison is not a fair one as they each have different capabilities, If you need to carry 5 or more safely and comfortably and this is a big criteria for your purchase you cannot go wrong with this product.
    Totally agree...You should post this to the Freestyle forum. What you describe is one of the greatest part of the Freestyle. Carrying adults in 3rd row with a real luggage space behind. Outside of a minivan or giant SUV, you won't find that in any car.
    I wasn't referring to anything specific; just items that have been discovered during the first two years of Freestyle production.
    Yes, many items are being re-addressed.
  • geoman11geoman11 Member Posts: 3
    I currently own an '01 Escape with 100K miles and the Edge seems perfect for me. But having been through the recalls within the first year after the '01 Escape launch, what do you think Ford is doing to more robustly test the Edge to prevent a reoccurance? I'm one of the "early adopter" types and I'd like to buy the '07 but I might be smarter this time around waiting until the second model year of the Edge to give Ford time to correct the first year issues.
    Understandble concern. That was 2000 though, things have changed substantially since then. The F-150 debuted, a vehicle with sales around 900K, and so far that launch went quite well.

Same with the Mustang, which was rated tops in it's segment for initial quality (the little issues that occur on the first few months of ownership). And that's on a totally new vehicle, in a newly refurbished flexible plant. Talk about something that COULD have gone wrong, and didn't.

Same with the 500/Mtg/FS, and also rated high in their segments for initial quality, and it's launch went flawlessly.

So far with the debut of the F/M/Z, the launch has gone very well also.

Ford currently has SixSigma team which goes over each vehicle with a fine tooth comb to make sure everything is perfect before being released, and that same attention to detail will be used for the Edge/MKX.
    That's good.

I await a look at it, and will definitely put in on my short list of vehicles to consider when my Mountaineer lease is up next year.
  • geoman11geoman11 Member Posts: 3
    ANT14, thanks for the input. Seems like Ford has totally changed the final release and launch process, with good results. Maybe that '07 Edge does have my name on it!
  • submachinesubmachine Member Posts: 30
    Have the colors been announced?

I was going to get the new Toyota FJ Cruiser but those clowns stuck a white roof on that, no thanks!

Ford Edge has the best dimensions/proportions of any car to date.
  • bri719bri719 Member Posts: 6
    very thoughtful post, ANT. I agree with most of your assessments, and with an aftermarket mod chip to run premium this model will certainly put out close to 270HP (especially with a more free-flowing air filter).

none of this will impact gas mileage any, but performance is exciting (for once not just in a Mustang). but even fresh off the showroom floor the relatively heavy (read: refined) Edge will get better mileage than my 2.5L 5-speed Ranger with 100HP increase, so I'm not concerned.
    FJ is geared as more of an off-road vehicle, plus the looks aren't quite as good as the old ones - as Automobile mag notes "it's both handsome and ugly". to me it's a cross between a Land Rover and a Mini thanks to that white roof, with just a dash of early Toyota thrown in for good measure. plus there's a waiting list.

you're much better off buying the 4Runner it's based on, though that will set you back at least a few thousand more. it's a foot shorter overall and 4" less wheelbase and not as geared towards your mainstream consumer in and out (think a Honda Element on steroids). cool, but like most kitchy cars the coolness factor will wear off quicker than most.
    my 100k Ranger, no doubt newer than the Fords you've had over the years, and I haven't replaced any of those things you're describing. also ask yourself if said neighbors took reasonable care of those cars or beat them into the ground, then sold them to you cheap once they were done.
  • dw438dw438 Member Posts: 41
    Today, the company is announcing that hybrid versions of the Ford Five Hundred, Mercury Montego, Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX will debut in the 2008-2010 timeframe. The new hybrids will join the Ford Escape and Mercury Mariner hybrids, which are on sale today, as well as the Ford Fusion and Mercury Milan hybrids, which will debut in 2008. Overall, Ford Motor Company plans to build 250,000 hybrids a year by 2010. --
    Some good news for January 22 out of Ford.
This discussion has been closed.