Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Versa

Comments

• flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    then he should have bought a Versa Hatchback...
  • versa07versa07 Member Posts: 8
    I don't know where this conversation started, but there is NO comparison between ANY NISSAN and the Elantra! My ex has an Elantra. It was the most uncomfortable car ever! And you could hear all the outside noise as you're driving down the highway. It was SO loud you couldn't even hear the radio. No wonder they have great prices/warranties..their vehicles are poorly constructed (in my opinion!) You get what you pay for. I can't speak for any other Versa owners, but I LOVE my car! Love it, love it, love it! Every single person that ever rode in my car said, "Wow, there's a lot of room in here!" They also love the looks and the feel of the car. We're even taking it to Florida from PA with THREE KIDS aging from 5-13! That'll be the true test of the Versa! lol
  • aladdinsanealaddinsane Member Posts: 182
    Hi...

Anyone know of a website with the 4-1-1 on the 2008 version of the Versa 5dr and sedan?

I'm eager to find out what Nissan has in store for this model.

Please inform...

Many thanx!

Peace<- :shades: --
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Your ex has the '07 Elantra, which is a new design? If not, have you driven a '07 Elantra? (Just so we are comparing apples to apples here.)

The conversation started when someone posted that the Versa has a bigger interior than any other compact. I pointed out that there are at least two other compacts, Sentra and Elantra, with more interior room than the Versa. The Versa hatchback has a larger max cargo capacity than those two sedans of course.
  • jd10013jd10013 Member Posts: 779
    The car is less than a year old, don't expect any major changes for awhile.
    True...The Versa has been SOLD in the U.S. for about a year, but the design (known in other parts of the world as the TIIDA) has been around for a few years. There may be changes after all and if there are improvements of some sort those "changes" may be reflected in the '08 version that we get from Mexico...

Close, but no cigar friend...

Peace!<- :shades: --
  • versa07versa07 Member Posts: 8
    I believe it was an '06 Elantra. Either way, the Versa, by far, has more room than the Elantra. I don't think the Versa has more "cargo capacity" though.
    the car's not going to get any major redesign after 1 year of sales. Hold your breath if you want, but nissan isn't going to spend the money to redesign a less than one year old car. the TIIDA and the versa arn't the same cars, although the versa is bassed on it. the versa (in order to be sold in NA) has to meet different emission, safty, and other standards.

But, the car is selling well, and should stay around a while. when they do, I'd like to see them go back to the original concept car.

• bikedorianbikedorian Member Posts: 48
    "I'd like to see them go back to the original concept car."

Definitely a good looking vehicle but it loses much of it's practicality by eliminating two doors. I think the concept car would appeal to a smaller group of buyers. I wouldn't have purchased a two door but 30 years ago, I did (VW Sirrocco). So to some extent, I've become more practical at the expense of fun & excitement.

David
    The '07 Elantra (new design compared to the '06) does actually have more interior (passenger) room than the Versa, but the Versa hatchback has more cargo room than the Elantra, since it's a sedan (until the new Elantra wagon arrives next year).
    would be nice though to see it show up as an se-r varriant in the next redesign.
    Oh man......Who mentioned anything about a new redesign with the '08 Versa? I speak of improvements, not redesign. I KNOW the Versa is NOT the TIIDA, friend. What you say I know, and you're going way beyond with my simple inquiry input here for this Nissan. You're off key, but so be it. I need not hold my breath for a "redesign" cuz it ain't gonna happen anytime soon. I'm well aware of that. But Nissan can still improve its current version. It probably will, as time goes on, hopefully beginning with the '08 version. This IS/WAS my point!

That's it!

Peace!<-- :shades: -
    my appoligies then, I mistook what you were hoping for. But out of curiosity, what changes/improvements would you like to see made to the car?

My top choice would be a 2 door sports coupe version like the original concept. I've always thought tuner cars should be 2 door. the four door sentra se-r, and se-r spec v just don't look right as a sedan.
    Two things that would make the Versa just about perfect for me (well, ok, not perfect but a lot more desirable) would be standard ABS and re-designing the rear seat so that it folds flat. Tuning for higher fuel economy would be nice also, but considering the car is more like a compact than a subcompact, its fuel economy isn't that bad.
    "re-designing the rear seat so that it folds flat."

I did a homemade fix for this. I built a riser in two sections. They're light weight so are easily taken out when not in use which is most of the time. They can be used with a top platform or left open so that little storage space is lost in the trunk. I could spray paint them to better match the interior but since I'll use them to haul mulch and compost (in containers) most of the time, I don't see the point.
    What I would have liked to see was a front passenger seat that folds flat like some of the competition (Matrix). I was able to get six foot sections of lumber in the car with the hatch closed so longer pieces with the hatch open would be no problem. It would have been easier if the front seat folded flat.

David
  • jacksan1jacksan1 Member Posts: 504
    Well, the JDM Tiida has a major suspension retuning done after only a year of its release in 2004, so anything can happen where you cannot see. My sources in Japan say that, at least for the Tiida, no major changes are forthcoming in the near future (cosmetic changes expected in late fall 2007 in Japan). Whether any such changes actually transfer over to the NA market's Versa remains to be seen. I personally bet against that.
  • jacksan1jacksan1 Member Posts: 504
    I think that the luggage box that they have available for the JDM Tiida is the best solution, and I hope that they will bring that accessory here. It not only creates the flat luggage area when the rear seat folds, but also creates a nice underbox to conceal things. The trade-off is the lost volume in the luggage area when the rear seatback is raised, but that luggage box should work for most people.
  • netranger4netranger4 Member Posts: 149
    I'm wondering if the Versa Hatchback has underpinnings or moutnting points for a manual wheelchair carrier? Haven't seen one on a lift to see what the underside looks like.

Perhaps someone out there has had a similar requiremnt.

Any assistance appreciated.
  • danzigdandanzigdan Member Posts: 50
    Just an observation. I stopped at the dealer this morning to see what they had and I counted about 12 SL models on the lot and not a single S model! A few weeks ago it was the reverse--they had about six S models and I think only two SL.

I still find it annoying that of all the SL models only about 1/3 had the ABS package.

I did see two Versa sedans as well.
    Which dealer?

David
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    The best thing to do is contact a Nissan dealer. Most car manufacturers have special programs for assisting drivers with handicaps. They should be able to answer your questions.
  • idntnvuidntnvu Member Posts: 254
    My sister is considering a new Versa. She will probably go pretty basic with the power options and an automatic. Any big differences between the CVT and the 4-speed auto? Which one would you recommend? We're trying to keep the total price under $14,000. Do you know if a cd and cassette audio option is available? Her other option is a new Toyota Yaris, but I'm also going to make her look at the Sentra, Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic, plus Kia and Hyundai small cars as well as some used alternatives that might be in the price range. Any suggestions or ideas?
    Thanks!
    idntnvu
    The difference between the four sp. auto and the CVT is not subtle but how much that matters to someone is very much an individual thing. You'll get a bit better mileage with the CVT as well.
    Those are all decent cars you're considering. Do extended test drives on each one and know in advance what the vehicle will be used for. There are big differences in interior space on each and how that space is apportioned is different. A hatch is a lot more VERSAtile than a sedan but the looks aren't for everyone. A sedan should also weigh a little less and cost a bit less.
    Last, don't let a few hundred dollars be the deciding factor. Get the car you want. And be sure your sister has a fun experience shopping for a car. It's tough to make a good decision when we feel stressed.
    Audio cassettes are obsolete. If you have to have one, buy an older used car. To retrofit a tape player into a new car will be a big waste of money.

David
    You'll get a bit better mileage with the CVT as well.

Actually, tests by C/D showed the 4AT gave better fuel economy than the CVT on the highway. So depending on driving pattern, someone could get better FE with the 4AT.
    "So depending on driving pattern, someone could get better FE with the 4AT."

Of course driving pattern has a great deal to do with fuel economy and if you drive like C/D, you're going to get poor fuel economy regardless of transmission. C/D and it's subscribers are not interested in fuel economy. I haven't read that review in quite awhile but it was not geared toward the normal subcompact car buyer. I believe most of us are buying these cars for the best bang for the buck, not ultimate performance.

David
    I am referring to the test C/D did specifically with the Versa CVT vs. the 4AT in response to a challenge from Mr. Ghosn that the CVT offers better fuel economy. It was a long highway trip, which is something many people do. It was not the typical C/D review, not 0-60 oriented (although they did test 0-60 and found the CVT offered a small advantage there).
    The review I remember, although I can't currently find it on their website, had them getting poor mileage from the CVT. I chalk that up to driving habits. My CVT equipped Versa gets approx. 35 mpg highway. I haven't seen anyone claiming that with a four speed regardless of driving habit.

David
    It was from the May 2007 issue. Here's the start of the thread in this discussion, with some more details:

backy, "Nissan Versa" #985, 31 Mar 2007 10:46 am

The point of the article was that when two Versas, one CVT and one 4AT, were compared on exactly the same highway course, the 4AT was more efficient. So maybe if you had the 4AT, you could get more than 35 mpg on the highway.
    Do you have a link to the article itself? One unscientific test is is just a data point. C&D is an enthusiast's publication. It's not a scientific publication so don't read too much into it. Lots of folks are posting their actual mileage figures and the CVT is the clear winner from all that I've read.
    Mileage aside, the CVT is noticably quieter and smoother than the 4 speed. If the Versa had only been available with the 4 speed, I might be driving something else right now.

David
    Here's the link, although the web page doesn't include the results table:

http://www.caranddriver.com/columns/12751/the-steering-column-a-pair-of-industry-bigwigs-talks-technology-at-the-detroit-auto-show.html

Here's what the original article had for FE results:

CVT: EPA 30/36, C/D Test Loop 33.2 mpg
    4AT: EPA 28/35, C/D Test Loop 35.4 mpg

I am not sure why you think this was an "unscientific" test. Since it was done simultaneously, on the same test loop, with professional drivers and fuel measuring equipment, it seems more scientific to me than a single Versa owner reporting his/her results. And the editor, Csaba Csere, offers up some scientific rationale for why the 4AT would do better on the highway than the CVT.

Just because one publication found that the 4AT gets better fuel economy on the highway than the CVT doesn't mean the CVT isn't the right choice for you, or others. But if someone is looking for optimum fuel economy in a Versa for mostly highway cruising, the CVT may not be the best option.
    They don't publish scientific studies in consumer rags. Scientific studies have standardized protocols and peer review which you're not going to find in consumer rags. The CVT IS the best option if you go by actual users and both the original and revised government mileage figures. You seem to think one minor data point has greater significance than all the other evidence. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

David
    Sure. But if you have any of those scientific studies on Versa fuel economy, I'd like to see them.
    here's something scientific for you

link title
    Yes, very technical. But it's a general paper on CVTs, not specifically about the Versa's CVT. And it doesn't tell me whether a Versa with its CVT will get better or worse fuel economy than its 4AT under certain conditions, such as highway cruising.

What did you think of C/D's theory as to why the Versa's CVT would get worse FE than the 4AT on the highway? I thought it was interesting. Also interesting that the article you linked to said the minimum FE improvement for a CVT is 7 percent, but the Versa is rated by the EPA only 1 mpg (3%) more on the highway than the 4AT. It would probably be even less of a difference (maybe no difference or a deficit?) if the Versa had an automatic with more than 4 speeds available.
    its more than just a paper. they tested cvt against automatics both disconnected from, and connected to, powertrains. because of their design, and how they work, they are gaurunteed to get beter FE. not much different than how a car will get worse FE with the AC on. Taking out all the gears, and allowing the car to always be in the most fuel efficent gear ratio makes it impossible to get worse FE.

My guess as to why the versa cvt could possilby get worse MPG (if it even does) and is rated only 1 mpg better than the auto (you sure that doesn't include the MT?) would be in the programming. To the best of my knowldge, the xtronic cvt doesn't just naturaly find the best gear ratio on its own, it uses preprogramed algorithms (300 I think) to determine the best gear with factors such as power, acceleration ect taken into consideration along with MPG. I'd bet they could program it to get better MPG, but at the expense of power, acceleration ect.
    Could be programming. Or maybe there is something to C/D's theory that the power to drive the hydraulic pump used by the CVT to control pulley spacing exceeds the hydraulic losses in the AT, especially when the lockup torque converter is engaged--such as on the highway. Maybe in theory CVTs are guaranteed to get higher FE than an AT, but sometimes reality intrudes on theory. ;)
    keep in mind, nissan's primary goal when designing a car is the driving experience. It trumps style, FE, everything. Its why they won't embrace hibrid technology. It compromises the driving experience too much. Also, I have an 07 nissan equiped with a cvt, and can tell you for a fact, it will out run the automatic. it accelerates better, and faster, not to mention smoother. Its not just equal to the AT, it's better. when nissan designed their cvt, it wasn't to make the most fuel efficent vehicle. rather, it was to make a better ridding car through the loss of shift shock, that would accelerate better and faster, while delivering slightly better FE.

Maybe in theory CVTs are guaranteed to get higher FE than an AT,

Its not just theory, they will. thats why hybrids use them.
    "We think hybrid cars can be incorporated into existing models." - Charles Ghosn, quoted in C/D, May 2007

So it seems at least Mr. Ghosn thinks hybrids are OK for Nissan.

"CVTs are 10% more fuel efficient." - Charles Ghosn, quoted in C/D, May 2007

Well, not for the Versa, but then that could be because of how the CVT was implemented in the Versa.

FYI, hybrids such as the Prius use a totally different CVT design than the Versa does.

Based on C/D's tests the Versa CVT is quicker than the 4AT--8.9 to 9.5 secs, 0-60. Not surprising at all, given the CVT has infinitely more gears than the 4AT does.
  • lemonhaterlemonhater Member Posts: 110
    I would agree with that. The Tilda has a smaller engine and is more fuel effcient. Nissan didn't want to comprimise too much in the name of fuel effceincy. The versa isn't a gas hog, but it isn't a miser either.
    So it seems at least Mr. Ghosn thinks hybrids are OK for Nissan

Its not the nissan doesn't like hybrids, they just don't think they'll be the future.
    link title

"Nissan has set itself a target of reducing carbon dioxide emissions by 70% by 2050, but will not produce hybrid or electric cars in the short term.
    Instead, Nissan is striving to make improvements through technology advancements instead.
    The company's general manager of product planning and strategy, Chris Lee, revealed that the immediate emphasis was on improving engine efficiency, reducing friction and examining new technology, rather than rushing out 'green-powered' car"

link title

"Ghosn was criticised at the firm&#146;s shareholder conference for his open sceptism towards hybrid technology &#151; which rivals Toyota and Honda have pioneered. "
    I wonder what "short term" means, since Nissan is producing hybrids NOW. Odd quote.

If Toyota is successful with its plans to release a 90+ mpg Prius in the next couple of years, and applies that technology across its lineup, I wonder what Nissan will think about hybrids then?

Come to think of it, the Versa hatchback would be a good candiate for hybridization--lots of room in back for the battery, and it's small enough so a low-powered I4 engine like that used on the Prius would work just fine.
    They're not really producing them, they're just buying the powertrains from toyota and putting them in an altima. from what I've read, it doesn't sound like nissan thinks hybrids will be around for the long term. they seem to think clean diesel, biodiesel, plugin electric and other types of cars will be the future. essentialy, they think hybrids will give way to something better. It's a huge risk they're taking. and that second link I put up was about the last shareholders meeting (i think) where a lot of the companies investors (owners) were more or less giving goshen hell for not pursuing hybrid tec 5 years ago.
    You may want to check your facts. Nissan licensed hybrid technology from Toyota, but Toyota is NOT providing the powertrains for the Altima.
    not the engine, no. It still has a QR in it. but nissan does not have its own hybrid system. they are using the toyota synergy drive system. the batteries, regenerative braking and all other hybrid equipment are coming from toyota. Nissan doesn't have their own.

yet at least. thats why they only sell them in 8 states; california and the 7 states that have adopted their strick air quality standards. nissan has no plans to offer the hybrid and any additional states. the reason is simple, they don't have a hybrid system, and have to buy it from toyota. but in those states, they have to offer something. I believe a certain percentage of their vehicles sold have to be low emmision vehicles. but I could be wrong about that.
    Here's an article that clarifies things. It notes the electric motor comes from Toyota, but the motor controller is from Nissan, based on a Toyota design. So some of the electric powertrain is from Nissan, but based on Toyota's designs.

http://www.greencar.com/index.cfm?content=features28

Here is another article that talks about Nissan's success with electric cars and their development of fuel cell cars:

http://www.evworld.com/article.cfm?storyid=1221

If Toyota would sell Nissan a motor that is compatible with the Versa, I think it would be a good platform for Nissan's next hybrid, if they continue down that path.
    A versa hybrid would deffinitly make the most sense. should be able to get well over 40 mpg. I think though, nissan is (despite carlos's lack of faith) workig on a stand alone hybrid, like the prius. they're not out of the hybrid market, just very far behind. as one of those articles mentioned, nissan just didn't have the money in the 90's to develop something like that.
  • idntnvuidntnvu Member Posts: 254
    Nice to see I sparked such a debate in a forum that had been quiet for a while :P
    My sister drove a 5-door hatch 1.8S, was very pleased. We both were very impressed with how it handled, especially when running over the concrete entrance ramp into the dealership's parking lot. It was so smooth.
    She then drove the 4-door sedan, a 1.8SL with the CVT transmission. That was just plain wierd. It honestly reminded me of a golf cart or ATV the way it changed gears. I was impressed though, and I did put it through it's paces. I did not drive the 5-door, but I insisted I try out the CVT in the sedan. Not my choice for a vehicle, however. I myself am about to trade my Dodge Durango in on a Toyota Tundra.
    My sister also drove the Toyota Yaris, a 3-door liftback and a 4-door sedan. Had this vehicle came in a 5-door like the Versa, she may have had a tough decision. The yaris was a very nice car, however she's decided to get a Versa. Thanks for all your information, and I'll keep ya posted as to when she gets it.
    Now, you can continue your CVT conversation haha ;)

idntnvu
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    out already? Didn't know that. Did it just hit the sales lots? Where do you live, idntnvu?

As for the Yaris 5-door hatch-over, yeah, Toyota missed on that one. They should bring the Yaris 5-door to America, I have read so many comments from people who would've bought a Yaris if they had brought the 5-door hatchback to America. I looked a long time at the Toyota Yaris sedan and still don't mind the small car at all.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Get a Focus. With incentives like $2,500 to $3,000 back and a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty (the only Ford to receive one) how can you go wrong?

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070716/FREE/70716005/1024/L- ATESTNEWS

Remember, the Focus may be 8 years old, but it still offers a fully independant suspension which neither the Yaris, Fit, or Versa offer.

With new cutting edge engines introduced in 2005, the Focus offers 136hp from 2.0 Ls and pretty good gas milage and has a high fun to drive rating. Outstanding if you opt for the manual trans.

I would definately without hesitation buy the Focus with a Manual trans over the Versa with the manual. The Versa manual 6 speed feels like a $3 dollar part.

Mark.
    Vehicles that offer extended warranties do so because they have to, not because they're better built. The Japanese don't need to use extended warranties as an incentive. They just use their vehicles and their repair histories as incentives. I looked at and test drove the 4dr. hatch Focus with all the bells and whistles. No thank you. It's not in the same league as the Versa. The interior is cheap, less than comfortable and poorly laid out. Ford is dropping the Hatch and Wagon for 08. I don't blame them. They can't compete with what Japan is delivering in this class. Ford seems to be competing at the higher price points from what I've read but they've never gotten the smaller vehicles right.

David