Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Versa

1161718192022»

Comments

• judithabrownejudithabrowne Member Posts: 3
    I bought a 2007 red alert hatchback in May 2009. I love this car, but

1. The seas are a beige tricot/suede looking material and dull from previous owner and nothing comes out it seems. Hate to put towels on the seats
    2. Hubcaps fall off and the service people act like its you or that they haven't heard it before. THey are going to give me one this time but I have to drive around w/out for a month
    3. the gas mileage is not as advertised
  • campermancamperman Member Posts: 53
    I bought a new 2009 Versa several weeks ago. I thought it might compare to the 2010 except for the price. The 2010 brochure advertised 862 KM on a full tank. Unless they have significantly improved the mileage that statement is somewhat generous. I got 681 km which is about 80%. The tank size is 13 1/4 us gal/ 50 litres. That's 7.3 l/100km. But, I have not broken it in yet so I'll reserve judgment for another 4,000 km or so. But that's still pretty good and a whole lot better than my Passat which is 9.5L/100km.
    Comfort: The seats in the Versa compare favourably with the Passat and in fact, suit me better. They are quite comfortable on a long drive.
    Power; The Versa has pretty good pickup and go. You won't break any records from 1st to 5th gear but it's adequate and quite good for a little 1.6.
    Overall: I bought a base Versa, manual shift to tow behind an RV. It is a better car than I had thought it would be and a pleasant surprise. Anyone want a Passat? If you live near NB, Canada, I'll give you a real deal.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Yesterday on my 2007 Versa, the tailpipe just in front of the rear muffler broke free from corrosion at the flange. Three years seems a pretty short time for this and I'm more than a little convinced that ethanol in our fuel is a contributing fact since the combustion of ethanol produces heat, carbon dioxide, and water. Water inside an exhaust system can't be the best thing for longevity of those pipes.

But here's the real (hopefully temporary) nay... there are NO aftermarket replacement mufflers as of yet, and with Nissan being the only source for a replacement, the price quoted to me for the part only was $432!

I went to a Midas shop and they took a look and were able to weld a flange on and get me back on my quiet way for $100, but they told me they've seen a lot of similar issues on 2 and 3 year old Murano exhausts. Seems they just used steel welds on the flanges and something is eating them up. Certainly the normal natural elements are a factor, but I've been drivng Nissans for 31 years, averaging about 175,000 per vehicle and I've NEVER replaced any exhaust system parts this soon.

The Midas guys seem to think that with 2007 being the first model year, that aftermarket mufflers (not "performance" mufflers) should be appearing soon.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    I went to Nissan dealer to buy a Versa SL Sedan with the sunroof and audio package and found out it is not available.

I'm also disappointed.

Talked to the manager and he said it was not a combination that the dealer ever sold unless it was an ordered vehicle. Nissan produced very few and sold very few.
    Demand for Versa is for "stripped" according to the dealership.

Majority of marketplace still equates small with "cheap" so those of us that enjoy small with premium features have few choices.
  • aladdinsanealaddinsane Member Posts: 182
    edited June 2010
    How absurd, but that's the way they play it...

Did the salesperson say that it was POSSIBLE to order the top of the line Versa sedan (SL, I believe it is) WITH a power sunroof/ premium audio package on special order? I wonder...(?) :confuse:

A pity one can't get what one wants with a Versa sedan, it seems. :mad:
    I suppose going aftermarket is the answer, and that's something I really don't wish to do. Know what I mean?

Hope to hear from you again, when U can...

Peace<-AladdinSane-<- :shades: -
  • zorelzorel Member Posts: 1
    My 07 bought new, 33k, 7 months out of warranty they exhaust rusted in the read, a flange rusted out, ended up being a cheap fix. But my question is whats next? We were thinking of buying another one. Love the car love the gas mileage!!
    I had a flange rust out just in front of the muffler on my '07. No aftermarket mufflers yet. I was able to get the flange repaired, so hopefully that buys enough time for aftermarket alternatives to the expensive OEM muffler to appear.

I have NO doubt in my mind that the premature exhaust corrosion is a result of ethanol in the gasoline (byproduct of combustion of ethanol is water... a very corrosive water) as I've heard that this problem is occurring on other 2-3 year old models as well.
  • twistedmuffintwistedmuffin Member Posts: 27
    The TPMS light came on yesterday. One of the tires was down to 28 lbs. Filled them all up to about 34 lbs. TPMS light stayed on still, for another 40 miles. Then I filled all the tires up to 37 lbs, and the tpms light finally went out after driving for about 100 feet. Yay.
  • marquetmarquet Member Posts: 6
    The versa does not have an adequate screen block to keep mice out of the ventilation system - once a mouse enters Nissan will not cover the costly repair.
    Marquet,

All years ? Mice chew up the wiring ? I saw lots of mesh on mine, but didn't look everywhere. I have a 2009 Versa Hatch. I saw 2 squirrels running around under it the other day.

TM
    It's kind of what rodents do, and pretty much across all makes and models. Not sure it makes it all the way to "design flaw"
    Open the hood - on both ends where the plastic intake housing meets the fenders are two quite large holes - can feel them with your fingers - I plugged these holes with copper mesh - hope that will keep them out.
    I have had 10 cars parked in the same area over 50 years and still have my 1979 firebird - yes mice have nested on the engine but none ever made it into the ventilation system - This is clearly a design flaw since there are two - that I can see large entrance points - that I have now plugged with copper mesh
  • jtkirk161jtkirk161 Member Posts: 1
    I developed a loud exhaust yesterday.Took it to the dealer today and $700 later I have a new muffler!! Seems excessive. Are these cars prone to premature muffler failure???
    edited December 2010
    Here's my theory and a couple of facts to back it up... my 2007 also had the flange just in front of the muffler rust out. Talking to the guy at Midas, he told me that Muranos are also having a problem with early exhaust problems. The reason that the replacement muffler is so expensive (only from Nissan, $425) is that there hasn't been enough time for aftermarket mufflers to hit the market yet. The Midas guy told me that it's usually about the 4th year of a model when aftermarket mufflers start appearing. As to WHY these things are happening, the answer seems pretty obvious to me. Ethanol in our gas. When you burn ethanol, one of the byproducts is water. Ever notice the water streaming out of tailpipes now? And you can bet you bippy that water is fairly corrosive and it's on the INSIDE of your exhaust system, attacking the metal from inside and well as the elements outside. My Midas guy was able to weld a new flange on my Versa for $100, so hopefully the next time I need one, aftermarket options will be available.

(edit)
    Just googled "versa muffler" and it seems that there are now some options. (at least some are showing up on the search results)
    Bad news - the copper mesh did not work - mice got into the ventilation system again. Caught it in time before any damage was done. Placed mouse traps in engine bay and caught 4 mice so far - Seems that this is the only effective way to prevent this.
    Chipmunks can be a similar problem. Had a friend who shredded a chipmunk in his engine compartment and it threw his serpentine belt off the pulleys! But he found a very effective way (moreso than individual traps) to reduce his local chipmunk population that might work for mice too. We called it the Bucket of Death. We took a 5 gallon bucket (like an empty drywall compound bucket) fill it about 2/3 of the way with water, then pour sunflower seeds on top of the water. Put a piece of wood as a ramp up to the bucket edge. A few seeds on the ramp to attract them helped get the process started, but the chipmunks would go up the ramp, jump down into what they thought was a pile of feed, and they would never return. The bucket trapped about 30 chipmunks in a two week period and the problem (at least for now) of them climbing up into his engine compartment stopped.

For some reason, rodents find the wiring on cars to be a tasty treat. The warm, protected nesting site is an obvious attraction too.
    Just a note for other Versa owners. I took about half an hour to figure this out, even with reading the Versa owner's manual. I had to replace the small 14 inch passenger side wiper blade. The actual job takes about 30 seconds, once you know the trick. You have to push up on a tab under the wiper, then push the whole "blade" off the arm. Then slip the new "blade" on, with a satisfying click sound. Ahhhhhh. By "blade" I mean the rubber strip along with the metal apparatus, not just the rubber strip refill. I used an Anco blade for $4.97 at Walmart. Worked great once I knew the trick. :)

My old blade was frozen to the windshield and ripped apart when I turned on the wipers today !
    This is annoying. No scan feature on radio. Just search for next station. You are going to wear out the search button, hitting it again and again and again and again forever ......... trying to find some music instead of an ad. Dangerous, too. Distracted driving.
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    I've had my 2011 Versa a little over two months. Overall, I'm very, very pleased with the car. but there are some aspects of the car I find suprisingly down market....And I do realize it isn't a very expensive.

The remote entry....It's so easy to sound the alarm...The buttons aren't recessed enough. And the ignition key entry...It is completely flat, and is very hard to fit the key in when it's dark...And there's no light by the rear-view mirror.
    The manual shift is really terribly clunky.
    But despite seeming a little rough and unfinished, the back seat room is truly amazing....That is entirely why I bought the car. It is also pleasantly soft riding and quiet.
    I've twice had the front end alignment looked at by Nissan. the car is quick to wander...

But overall, I'm extremely happy with it. i just wish they made an Infiniti version for another $4,000....
  • monti2000monti2000 Member Posts: 13
    I am getting lots of snow in the engine compartment. I do not believe that I have seen this with any other car I have had. It's just too much.... I think there are problems with the clearances on the metal hood and body of this car.

Cheap production....Mexico
    Fortunately I have my car parked under a carport so snow does not pile on my hood - but I did notice that when I take it out during a snow storm and park the car water vapor emanates from the area where the hood meets the body-- indicating that snow or water is entering in this area and vaporizing off - something I also did not observe in my other vehicles.
  • 68orion6868orion68 Member Posts: 10
    Can someone please tell me how to access the brake lamp housing in the hatchback to change the bulb.
    Many thanks.
    I've seen this procedure posted online...

Inside the trunk/hatch area, directly behind the tail light assembly, are two plastic cover plates. Remove these with a flat tool (screwdriver will work) by prying in the small slit. They pop off. Inside one you will see a nut. This is a 10mm deep socket. NOTE: This nut is very easy to lose once loosened! If at all possible use a magnetic socket. If one is not available, loosen but don't remove completely. Use a magnet to remove. In the other compartment you will see wires on a plastic holder. This holder is snapped over the nut you need to remove (note you may see two, you want the one closest to the access opening). Use a flat (screwdriver) to slip the white cover with wires off the screw post. Use a 10mm wrench to loosen, then remove by hand. From the outside, pull the lamp assembly backwards. If necessary apply a little pressure on the interior screw posts. ACCESS TO LAMPS! Reverse procedure to reinstall. Note on the exterior there is a slot at the front of the lamp assembly when reinstalling. Good Luck!

I followed the advice above but have a few details to add. I used a stick (7/8" x 5/8" x 6") to push on the bottom post and then used a flat stick, actually a paint stirring stick, as a shim between the lens and the car body. With the shim in place I then used a flat nylon strap (a dog leash) which I placed around the tip of the lens, closest to the front of the car. I put both ends of the leash in one hand in order to pull on one side and then used my finger tips on the other hand to pull on the part of the lens closest to the bumper and applied even pressure straight back until the lens popped off allowing access to the light bulbs.

As with all advice you might find on the internet, I would take it SLOW and easy.

This is assuming you're talking about the left and right brake likes and not the third brake light unit at the top of the hatch. That's an LED unit. I had to replace it on my 2007 after the lens on it got cracked somehow and water got in and killed the light assembly. As I recall it was like $128 for the light assembly
  • 68orion6868orion68 Member Posts: 10
    Thanks very much for the great help!
    All to change a bulb - don't you love technology?
    Hey, you're suppoed to remove the front end of the Versa to change the headlight bulbs (that's the official procedure) but I've done those under the "If I can get my fingers on it, I can change it" theory :)
    I find it impossible to believe you have to disassemble the front end to change a bulb.....i hope my new Versa doesn't prove to be too hard to live with...i just finished 10 years of smooth sailing with a 2001 Passat...
    edited February 2011
    Oh, there are a number of vehicles now that are supposed to need the front clip to come off to change a headlight. I agree, it's absolutely nuts to have a headlight change be listed as a 60 to 90 minute procedure.

I have 4 years in on the 2007 Versa and the sailing has been smooth! We only had the 2010 for just over 100 days when it saved the wife's life (stopped for a car that was stopped for deer, plowed into by an F-150 that didn't stop. Totaled) and the 2011 is going along just great at 11,000 miles since mid Oct.

Just changed the front rotors on the 2007 at 85,000 due to warping, but other than normal wear items, I've only had to change the third brake light assembly on the 2007. Not sure how the lens got cracked. Could have been severe cold last winter in the -15 range.

Did you get the 6-speed? If so, see if you agree with me and my daughters that we'd swap 1st gear for a 7th. ;)
    Yes, i got the manual.....and i am surprised how breathless the car seems on the highway...i've never driven a 6-spd that so cried out for a 7th gear....And i do think the shift is really terrible...and the clutch isn't great either...They just aren't very fluid.....But i still think having a manual adds a lot to driving fun.
    I'm really disappointed that the seat bottom doesn't height adjust,either.

But above everything else is the astoundingly roomy back seat. It is entirely the reason i chose the Versa...It's truly large...
    Hi,

I have 31,000 miles on my 09 Versa Hatch. Lately it is making an annoying popping / clunking sound from the front right. Sometimes it sounds like it is coming from under the floorboards between the left and right front seats.

It can happen any time, even on a flat surface with no apparent bumps. But most often it happens when going over a small bump (not a big bump) and also when you are starting out from a complete stop, especially when turning right.

It actually sounds like someone is striking a bongo drum with a drumstick, nice and hard, just once. Sort of a bunk sound. Sometimes you can feel it in the floor of the car.

Had a lot of horrible roads to drive over this winter with potholes and bumps of all sorts, which may have caused the problem.

Anyone else have this bunk sound? Were you able to get it fixed ?

Thanks,

TM
    Roomy is the operative word! I wish I had taken a picture of this, but whiole helping with our high school summer orchestra moving instruments, I had two full size upright basses, three full size cellos, and a passenger inside the Versa with nothing sticking out any window and all doors and hatches closed.
  • michelekrausmichelekraus Member Posts: 3
    We have two Versas (soon to be three), and the hubcaps fell off my daughter's hatchback constantly. Solution: Bought a 4-pack from Walmart for less than $30, snapped them in, and it's been over six months without a loss.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Seeking feedback from new owners of the 2012 Versa Sedan, especially the base S model with 5 speed manual transmission.
  • formula353formula353 Member Posts: 3
    Had my 2012 SL sedan 2 weeks
    Pros:
    Good ride for it's class
    Great back seat room for it's class
    Great gas mileage (35-36)
    Strong headlights/foglights
    Plenty headroom for 6 foot guy
    Gauges easy to see for 6 foot guy (most cars I cannot see the top half of the speedometer
    Warms up quick

Cons:
    I don't have the tech package radio with Nav
    - Contrast of the stereo makes it very difficult to read
    - If you like music, plan on buying a sound system
    - Steering wheel controls allow volume up/down and cycle through 6 preset stations
    - If you hit scan on the radio, you MUST hit scan to stop it on the station you like. Hitting any other button will not stop the scan.
    Headrest is a little on the invasive side. I've driven cars much worse though.
    The buttons on the key are impossible to feel out in the dark.
    The window controls are a little far forward. I'm always blindly using the rear window controls rather than the front.
    The drivers side window control is the only lit control on any of the doors. Good luck finding the door lock in the dark.
    Good luck to passenger to find any door controls.
    The front cup holder area is not lit. (I think you can buy an accessory.)
    There are 6 drink holder which would be good except none of them are convenient. It requires moving your arm in an uncomfortable position.

With that said I'm sure over time I could add to the list. I am still happy with my purchase.
    Getting our 4th Versa 6-speed hatchback tomorrow. Daughter bought my 2007 from us so it's still in the family, the 2010 saved the wife when she was stopped in traffic and an F-150 plowed into the stopped cars and totaled it, so the 2011 replaced that one.

Apparently we've been very pleased with our Versas ;)
  • abayneh12abayneh12 Member Posts: 2
    Has there been any recalls or defects found in the 2012 model?
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    edited July 2012
    I'm resurrecting this thread. I have been looking at three models for a brand new driver. The reasons for these three (Fit, Yaris, Versa) are their ability to steer out of trouble, and the tall glass eliminating blind spots. I ultimately will buy a VERY used model to keep insurance costs down. The Versa hatchback is at the top only because there is a new model coming out in a few months and it should favorably impact the used prices (I hope). I currently own a Elantra Touring, which also is an outstanding car for a new driver (great viewing angles, the best brakes I've ever seen). The only reason it is not on my list is that the Elantras are plagued by vague steering, and one must fully pay attention while driving the Elantra or you could suddenly find yourself quickly drifting off into another lane. That type of steering is not good for a new driver. Now back to the Versa. While I have climbed in one or two, I have a few general questions before I ask you to provide any major safety issues with your car that you have encountered (like the electric steering failing on the Fit).
    1. how are the brakes? I rate the Elantra as an absolute 10. I rate my Vibe's brakes as a 2 (come on Toyota, get with it). I read some posts about the warped rotors, but I was wondering if that was a result of the nuts being torqued too tightly.
    2. can I change the oil myself? On the two models I have looked at, one had a plastic apron underneath and another model did not. They both were first gen (obviously) Versa hatchbacks, and I could not figure out why there would be a difference.
    3. should I get the SL, and more importantly, should I get the CVT transmission? I have seen some hatchbacks with the SL logo on the back, yet on cars.com, I also see ads for the SL with pictures of vehicles with no SL badging. Can someone straighten me out here?
    Aside from those questions, I'd like to hear any major issues with the vehicle (using the Fit as a model again: electric steering issues, excessive tire wear, few options for tire replacement due to its odd sizing).
    Certainly used Versas are more competitively priced than used Fits, so I appreciate all your pros and cons. Thanks in advance.
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    edited July 2012
    My daughter has a 2009 Hatchback SL purchased new... CVT, 65K miles.

In response to your questions:

1- Absolutely no brake issues of any kind, and stopping ability is excellent.

2-Oil changes are a breeze. Her car has the splash apron, and I replaced the plastic securing "snaps" (on the sides, 2 each side) with speed nuts and stainless machine screws. It isn't necessary to remove to get at the filter, but its much cleaner to remove it to get to it. One of the easiest oil changes you will find. Very similar to changing the oil on a Toyota Corolla.

3-CVT gives the car a feeling of much more power than it actually has... Great for acceleration on Interstate entrance ramps, etc.

Having said that, she had her CVT replaced under warranty at 49K miles (10 year, 120K warranty). It still ran fine, but a bearing was degrading, making a bit of a roaring noise at slow speed. It wasn't a surprise, as the issue first manifested itself at around 12K miles, and the dealer service personnel and I both agreed to let it run its course before replacing it. Overall, I haven't seen many reports on late model Versa CVT failures.

My main disappointment is in the front seat door panels, as on both sides the adhesive holding the vinyl on both armrests has released. I have removed them and re-glued the vinyl, but it should not have happened in such a relatively new car so well taken care of...

On the steering front, the dealer replaced the lower steering shaft under warranty, because the steering had a "popping" feel in it when you turned hard rights (primarily). evidently, according to the service dept., this was a widespread problem and it took Nissan some time to figure it out. Since repair, no issues.

In conclusion, I wouldn't have any qualm about buying another Versa. In fact, my daughter is interested in trading up to the new model/body style after its been out for a year or so, so that any bugs can be worked out of the 1st year model run.

I hope this helps you in your search for a car...Good luck!
    your review was perfect. Thanks. If your Versa has the phone buttons on the left side of the steering wheel, I'll buy your Versa when it is time for her to get the new one. :D I'm amazed how many cars are advertised as SLs on cars.com yet don't have the SL badge on the back gate. I'm assuming that to even have a chance at finding the phone buttons on the left side, it will have to be an SL model.
    edited August 2012
    I was lucky enough to drive a SL hatchback with CVT today. Once you look past the cheap plastic interior, I am thoroughly impressed with this car. I thought the brakes were fantastic. I liked that there was a little slop in the steering to keep the car from quickly wandering into another lane. The visibility of course was excellent. I also liked the driving position (high seat position) even though there isn't any telescoping of the wheel. The car zooms from a stop very quickly with the CVT technology and the rear leg room is better than on my Elantra Touring which is hard to beat. I also love the small windows extending the view of the rear passengers. The upcoming Versa appears as though the rear passengers will be looking directly at the c pilar, which is not very appealing. Now, when it comes to buying a used one, I hope I can find a white or light blue one with the phone buttons on the steering wheel.
  • regretpurchregretpurch Member Posts: 1
    Very up set with the service department and will never recommend this dearler.

Since Oct. 4th, 2013, i've been waiting on a part for my 2014 versa to get fixed and as of now, all that Bill (manager) has said is, "I'm sorry, but i don't know when this part will be made and shiped out to dealer". And there is nothing we here at the dearler can do to help, but just wait for the part. As if this is going to solve the problem and for me to get around.

Also reported to Nissan 1 and it's the same B.S with them, they say they will help after my auto is fixed. I NEED THIS RESOLVED NOW, NOT LATER!

This is very un-professional and they shouldn't be selling autos before the year comes in, if they won't have parts when needed.

**** To all consumers, think twice before buying from this dealer! ****

Has any one had this issue or is going through this?
  • schnooksschnooks Member Posts: 1
    Unbelievable.. 93k miles, regularly serviced car.. never again
    Luckily it is covered.. but we are dumping it asap