Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Versa

Comments

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Well my 1966 Newport certainly had more space and metal in front of me. But it also only had lap belts, no air bags, and no crumple zones.

I don't feel any less safe in the Versa than I do in my Altima or than I did in any of my Sentras. Truthfully, I worry more about avoiding that front end collision than how my car will handle it. The safety ratings on the Versa are very good, but only a fool would think that just that makes a driver safe. The biggest piece of safety equipment is any car is you behind the wheel.

Heaven help us if a car ever comes out that's touted as "100% safe"
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    they are developing cars that park themselves, detect cars around them and "avoid" accidents, etc. But it's true, really, the most important piece of safety equipment in your vehicle is you, the driver. So very, very true.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The Versa is as good as it gets for crash safety for this size of car--IIHS "Good" scores on front, side, and rear. If it has ESC available it would even be an IIHS "Gold" pick. So if it's a small car you want, you can't get much better except maybe the Impreza, and that will run you several thousand dollars more.

Since you are concerned about safety, consider getting the optional ABS though--braking tests without it showed long stopping distances, even on dry pavement.
  • jacksan1jacksan1 Member Posts: 504
    One of curious things about the crash safety rating for the Versa is that, whereas IIHS has given it "Good" for the offset frontal, among others, which is the highest rating, with NHTSA's testing, the Versa received "only" four stars vs. five in the frontal (not offset but perpendicular to contact).

What seems to be odd about this is that IIHS's testing is generally known to be more vigorous than NHTSA's. And yet, the Versa did not get the highest score with NHTSA. It goes on to show that the testing procedure and/or measurement protocol can change the results in a material way.
    The way these scores are calculated, the Versa could have missed five stars by a fraction of a point and made a "Good" on the IIHS test by a fraction of a point. I've frequently seen a car get less than five stars on a NHTSA test get a "Good" on the NHTSA test. That happens pretty often on the side impact tests, even though the IIHS test takes head injuries into account and uses a larger and heavier sled. Go figure.

For me, the IIHS tests carry more weight than the NHTSA tests. The offset frontal test is well known to be a more severe test of the car's structure than the NHTSA's test, and the IIHS side test includes head injuries (well, duh!) when determining the rating and simulates impact by a small truck or SUV vs. a passenger car.
  • irismgirismg Member Posts: 345
    That's very encouraging! I guess I'll have to do a little research on "crumple zones" (a scary term in its own right) and how they work, and why they are safer than about 6.5 feet of engine and frame!

I looked out of the Versa's windshield and I thought...wow, I can see the ground in front! Makes me want to not go any faster than 30mph. I suppose I could pretend it's a Volkswagen Vanagon. LOL

Thanks for the input, guys, keep it coming.
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    I meant to say "it was NOT fatiguing to drive at interstate speeds."

Emboldened by my 113 miles trip to Monterey, I took it all the way to LA (400 miles) the next weekend. This is definitely a great freeway car - stable steering, quiet, plenty of power, strong air conditioning. Will report on the mileage later - I saved the gas receipts with mileage, but they are still in the car (I'm driving the Fit for the commute this week).

This car matches the Impala in terms of interstate-worthiness.

The speed control is a lifesaver in terms of avoiding two types of fatigue: (1) foot fatigue and positional fatigue from holding the accelerator pedal down; and (2) high speed driving fatigue - without the cruise I drift up to 80 mph all too easily (current driving speeds along 5 are up from 80 to 85/90, believe if or not, even with the Highway Patrol pulling over as many speeders as they can). On the way down I limited my speed to an indicated 74 mph.

In terms of economics, the cost of my 2008 Versa (12,000) vs. the payments left on the Impala ($11k) actually favored the Impala - the increased mileage on the new Versa doesn't make up for the added capital cost. BUT I like small cars.

For those of you considering a small car to save fuel, remember that the difference in gas costs usually isn't enough to sway a deal, unless you have gone through the usual life-cycle on your old vehicle. You'll end up trading-in an almost paid off poor mileage vehicle for a great mileage vehicle, but your car payments will overcome the difference. The first rule of economy - which I violate frequently - is to change cars only every 5-10 years.
    I guess I'll have to do a little research on "crumple zones" (a scary term in its own right) and how they work, and why they are safer than about 6.5 feet of engine and frame!

That was not what I said, or what anyone here said. What I did say is that if you are looking at small cars, like the Versa, it's one of the best small cars in crash protection based on published tests.

Keep in mind that frontal crash tests can not be compared across different weight classes. It's one thing for a 2800 pound compact to hit a barrier at 40 mph. It's quite another for a 5000 pound SUV to do the same. But please do research crumple zones etc., and good luck with your car shopping.
  • irismgirismg Member Posts: 345
    Hm, when we get into all this what was said, what was not said, the issue sure gets muddied. "It's safe, it's not safe, no, I didn't say it was safe," just forget it, please!

Thanks at least for wishing me luck, and I will read up on those "crumple zones".
    It's pretty simple, really: the Versa has very good crash safety for a small car. Not really all that muddied... unless you want to make it muddied?
    First tank of gas was dealer-fillup. Probably a little light, since I drove 252.0 miles and filled it up early at 9.213 gallons, for a calculated 27.35 mpg. Since this mileage is quite a bit lower than my drive to Los Angeles, I'll chalk it up as a less than aggressive fill-up by the dealer.

The driving after my initial fill-up was about 98% freeway - from Monterey back to Oakland, park the car for a week, then drive down to L.A. and back. Monterey to Oakland was around 75-80 indicated mph; on the drive to L.A. I used cruise control on the way down to hold it down to an indicated 74 mph, coming back the speed often crept up to 80 mph.

In the past, with other cars, my best mileage has been the drive to Yosemite, where country roads hold down the speed and mileage is best despite the hill-climbing (perhaps partially balanced by the subsequent hill-descents). Compared to my freeway commute, where speeds are more in the 50-70 range, I usually "lose" about 2 mpg driving to L.A. due to the wind resistance at higher speeds.

On this L.A. trip my fill-ups were at 271.6 miles, 274.2 miles, and 295.5 miles, with an indicated 1/5 of a tank before empty. Gallons on fill-up were, respectively, 8.203, 8.810, and 9.617, all at different stations but each on level ground with a cautious "top off." MPG calculate to 33.11 mpg, 31.12, and 30.73.

I also totalled the gallons and miles (rather than averaging the mpg figures above) and came up with 31.59 overall mpg for the LA trip.

31.59 mpg for interstate speeds is quite good.In comparison, my 2007 Yaris liftback with 5 speed returned an average of 36.14 mpg on the same route also at an early stage of break-in; I got about 30 mpg with the 2007 Dodge Caliber 5 speed.

So the Versa returns slightly better interstate mileage than the Caliber, much less than the Yaris, but is quieter than either one and feels safer on the interstate than the Yaris.

I'll keep my fingers crossed and as I accumulate commute miles on the Versa, will report back on commute mileage.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Well, you won't really know how strong the A/C is until you try to cool the interior at city traffic slow speeds at the peak of summer someplace where temps get well over 100 degrees.
    Using it on the highway in spring, is no real test. Any car's a/c should seem fine at this time of year with mild spring time weather.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    The first rule of economy - which I violate frequently - is to change cars only every 5-10 years.

You should never get rid of a car, let the car get rid of you.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• toguchitoguchi Member Posts: 3
    I bought my Nissan Versa SL two weeks ago.

Yay's: Comfortable, roomy for it's size - my tall hubby can actually sit behind me without feeling cramped, Airbags......

Nay's: 6 speed manual doesn't shift and sound as smooth as the Automatic version, A/C is not as powerful in MO and the blower is so loud that I have to turn up the volume on the radio - very bothersome

Other than that I really have no complaints.
  • e46kime46kim Member Posts: 2
    I've had my Nissan Versa SL Hatchback 2008, since April, no ABS brakes
    2000 miles on it now.

yea's: the big one: it really is a quiet car (main consideration for me buying it)
    decent pickup
    good room on the backseat for passengers
    quality interior
    love the keyless driving

nea's: sub-par mpg for the class
    i miss my outside thermometer
    now the big one: 2000 miles on it and it has brake problems. apparently the rotor gets deformed very easily. the dealer's mechanic admonished me not to do so many sudden stops. It heats up the brakes and deforms the rotor (did I mention that I only have 2000 miles on the car?). "many sudden stops"? i live in a metropolitan area. Of course you'll have to do the occasional sudden stop, if you don't want to run into someone doing something nutty. And I never had any kind of rotor problems with any of my other cars. Major design flaw. Check the forum for the brake thread. I'm not the only one with that problem. Can't wait for the recall.
    Nissan Motor Co.'s finance unit raised $600 million selling asset-backed securities in the first sign of demand for auto loans since U.S. Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson unveiled a plan last month to support consumer debt. Nissan boosted the size of the sale from $500 million. A top-rated portion of the Nissan issue will mature in July 2012 and is priced to yield 400 basis points more than benchmark interest rates, a person familiar with the sale, who declined to be identified because terms aren't public, said Tuesday. A basis point is 0.01 percentage point. The sale by Tokyo-based Nissan may indicate that Paulson's plan to unlock a freeze in consumer-related credit markets is working.
    http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081203/AUTO01/812030333
  • johnxyzjohnxyz Member Posts: 94
    For you guys that have been following the Cube's upcoming release in the US - are its underpinings similar to the Versa insofar as engine, transmission, etc.? The Versa hasn't exactly hit it out of the park when it comes to reliability and quality control (Edmunds, Consumer Rpts, JDPower)!

I'm really jazzed on a Cube as my next car but NOT if it is a mirror image of the Versa. I'll look to a Fit or new Insight, perhaps.

The Cube that we get will be fitted with a CVT, right? Different engine or same? Cube is made in Japan - is the Versa assembled in NA?
    Is there a JDM version of the Versa that is different? Are there Renault parts on the NA Versa?

Thanks. (Sorry about dbl posting in another discussion by mistake)
    The Cube is a low volume vehicle and will likely be made in Japan until volume picks up. On the other hand, Nissan recently decided to move all Versa/Tiida production to Mexico as a lower cost source, so likely the Cube will follow.

FWIW it does seem to be true that quality control on American and Mexican made vehicles is equal to or better than on Japanese made vehicles (by "made" I mean country of manufacture, not nationality of manufacturer). I expected better quality on my Japanese-made Yaris and Honda Fit than on my Civic made in America, but the quality was actually lower. I guess the Japanese domestic market hit a plateau while the plants in America and Mexico kept pushing for more quality.

BTW the low marks for reliability seem to pertain only to the Versa Sedan. My Versa hatchback was perfect.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    The local dealer will perform the TSB on the fuel pump regulator when the part comes in at the end of the week. No hassle from the service writer...my kid's very happy! Taking it on a weekend family trip up to Vero Beach on friday so it'll be nice to see how she handles on I-95. Guess I'll get to check out the rear seats also.

The Sandman :)
  • aladdinsanealaddinsane Member Posts: 182
    micweb:

What's your spin as to the poor reliability of the Versa Sedan?
    Do you think this bad showing relates to ALL versions of the sedan?

Hope to hear from you...

Thanx-

Peace!<-AladdinSane-<- :shades: -
    I always thought the Versa was reliable, period, but one day I came across some newspaper blurb that cast the Versa Sedan (specifically, not the hatchback) as having worse than average reliability. Only the manufacturer's warranty records can tell us for sure, of course, even Consumer Reports and JD Powers are just surveys from a limited group of owners, and its hard to do good surveys like that. I don't think the Versa had some of the bigger problems that, say, the Quest did. It's a proven design out of a proven plant.
  • moontommoontom Member Posts: 28
    I'm strongly considering this car, and wondering how it is for highway cruising.

I gather noise and road bumps are muted...they were on my local road test drive.

but I'm wondering: how's the seat after a few hours? driving position for legs/knees/etc?
    anything else of note?

thanks very much for any and all insights!
    Well I have 45,000+ on my Versa, have taken it on two vacations and really have no complaints at all on highway cruising. In fact, I just had a passenger for a 120 mile trip the other day who had never ridden in the car asking me the same questions since his son is looking for a car and is considering the Versa. He liked the size inside and comfort on the road.
    Superb car for long distance drives, easily took me from San Francisco to Los Angeles and back, gas mileage with the stick shift not as good as hoped compared to similar class cars due to the higher freeway rpm (low gearing on the 6 speed favors sporty driving not fuel economy). Seats are extra wide, great.

The automatic versions may give similar freeway mileage to the stick shift, since while they are intrinsically less efficient, they have lower freeway r.p.m.

A highly recommended car - midsize inside per EPA, while compact exterior and good gas mileage.
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    I like the looks of this car but I have heard that it is made by Renault and not Nissan. Is this true?

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

Renault and Nissan formed their alliance in 1999 with Renault holding something like a 45% stake in Nissan. The Versa is the US/Canada name for the Tiida which is available in various overseas markets.

It's based on the same mechanical platform as the Renault Clio so I suppose you could look at it as "made by Renault" if you'd like. I just turned over 47,000 on my Versa the other day. The semantics of who it's made by have not been a factor for me. :shades:
    Hi...
    I'd like to know why Nissan saw fit to eliminate the Sun and Sound package from its options list for the Versa SL sedan. Anyone have an idea? The automaker claims it's due to lack of interest on the consumer's part...that customers just don't seem to want that package with the sedan. I disagree, speaking for myself. A sunroof and high powered audio system with subwoofer would really make the sedan an attractive buy, again speaking for myself.
    One other thing: Is there a strong possibility that Nissan will offer traction control/electronic stability control with the Versa for 2010? All of these optional equipment features I've described above would certainly make the SL sedan/5 dr quite a strong contender. It would be a deal maker for yours truly, next model year, for sure!
    Peace!<-AladdinSane<- :shades: -
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    I don't consider it a bad thing if it is made by Renault. I was just curious. Sometimes it is hard to figure out just who makes what these days. I believe I read somewhere else that the Versa is actually assembled in Mexico.

I have always been partial to "tall cars" and I especially like the look of the sedan.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

I like the look of the Versa sedan also. Some have negatively criticized its look, but I disagree.

Peace!<-AladdinSane<- :shades: -
  • twistedmuffintwistedmuffin Member Posts: 27
    I noticed there isn't any (obvious) place to tie down the hatch if you want to drive with it partially open, as when transporting something long. Anyone find a way to secure the hatch partway down ? What about driving with the hatch open and unsecured and letting the wind buffet it? Anyone try that yet ???
    The alarm on my 09 Versa 1.8 S Hatch goes off ( beep, beep, beep) every once in a while, for no apparent reason. It stops by itself before I can get out to the driveway to stop it. Nobody around it, no animals, no wind, etc. Anyone else have this?

• thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    "Panic button" on your keyless entry getting pushed?
    thegraduate,

Thankyou!! That was it. If I hold down the red and white button for 2 seconds, the beeping starts. Thanks for the answer!!

TM :)
    I've only run into one time when I couldn't close the hatch on something I was transporting. (amazing what I've been able to get inside with the hatch closed)
    What I did to tie down the hatch was to anchor the rope where the hatch latches down and then run the ropes around to the outside of the hatch and tie the hatch down. I used some rags/old towels to protect the edges of the hatch doors so the rope couldn't rub the paint, but it worked fine. We were moving several 6 foot long tables and had to transport them about 45 miles, most of it at highway speeds and everything worked out just fine.
    pf_flyer,

Thanks. I checked it out, and yes, it looks workable. Don't know why I didn't see it before !! Thanks. :)
    You're quite welcome. :)
  • senojdr2senojdr2 Member Posts: 7
    Are people so lazy to insist this is a must.i am in wonder why it is so hard to just drive this car.Own 93 Sentra,and never,never used this control.What is this obesession???? My new versa got 32.5 miles on city/highway!
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    Not sure what this message was in reply to, but I don't go a day without using cruise. It helps control your speed consistently so you don't speed, helps many leadfooters use less gas, and provides comfort over multiple hour trips on the highway. I have seen people drive for 8 hours on the interstate and never use cruise. All the while, they vary in speed from 55 to 80, pass and get passed constantly by people driving with consistent speed, and complain about lack of comfort on long highway trips. I would never buy another car to be used at all on the highway without cruise. We all have different preferences.

I for one have never understood the obssession with the sunroof/moonroof. I have had multiple and would rather not have one in any vehicle I ever own. It usually takes up headroom, raises the temperature, adds weight, costs money, but for some reason is loved by many. For some, acceleration, fuel economy, reliability, safety, and cost are nonfactors as long as it has a sunroof.

Other people don't care if there is a stereo or air conditioning in their car. Different strokes!
    It's a comfort thing. The post below is spot on with how I feel. I drove my Accord 750 miles in 11 hours; Birmingham to Oklahoma City, and used cruise about 90% of the time. It saves a lot of strain on my ankle/leg. I'm 6'5" and can't sit as comforably as most in anything smaller than a full size truck!
  • colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    Re. sunroofs... you also forgot to mention many seem to always eventually leak.
    Target has outside therometer $4 with inside temp,and clock for $10.A compass $3 vanity mirror.Sony radio+cd player $100.00.I upgraded my versa for much less money than dellers charge.DO IT YOUR SELF!
    The prolong moaning over after market instalation.a stick jambed into dash will get same result...
    Are you a unhappy buyer of other Japanese car???? you seem very bitter...My versa is so good it will make you cry!!!!!
    My new Versa when brand new got 31.5 city. and highway. second test got 33 miles highway. Engine is NOT broken in. am sure better mileage will occur later in this cars life. Much nit-picking by Fit I wonder WHY???Versa in my opinion is the very best car for money spent. Owners of other Japanese cars seem troubled by reviews ! I wonder just how these mileage are run?AT HIGH SPEED...
  • versadriverguyversadriverguy Member Posts: 1
    under my gas cap lid i found water puddeling this can't be good in the long run because after tanking some gas dripped from the nozzle and mixed with the water,
    when i used a paper towel to wipe up the the spil i noticed that my red paint came off. everytime the gasoline dissolves the paint it will make it more porous allowing the water / water salt mixture to penetrate down to the metal to make it rust. there are also overlapping surfaces under the lid making the whole situation worse.
    anyone else have this problem ? and what to do about it.
    Yays : decent mpg. cute. QUIET. Handles well (better than Corolla). Hatchback for moving stuff. High seat.

Nays: Mileage isn't great, just OK.. Need cushion for lumbar support. WINDOWS FOG UP VERY EASILY. Even on a clear day, if it's humid, the windows will fog up, if you put the heat on. You can cure it by putting on the defroster, but who wants to wear out the compressor (the a/c compessor comes on when you turn on the defroster), and lower your mpg ?
  • puffin1puffin1 Member Posts: 276
    Ok, how did you do it? Have you got suctioncups on dash?
  • rick92565rick92565 Member Posts: 1
    The versa has a better choice that a 5spd. it has a cv..t trans available. c.v.t. stands fo constant variable transmission. it does not have gears. in simple terms it gives you more power and better fuel economy than a 4,5 speed automatic and better than a manual trans. it is available on SL models
  • puffin1puffin1 Member Posts: 276
    I had a 02 Acura and the a/c came on when using the window defg. Our Lexus and BMW does the same thing. I was told it's good to start your A/C once or twice in winter so the gaskets would't dry out, but that was back along time ago
    You don't burn that much unless you are parked for along time, like warmning car up in the morning. I don't know
    the reason for the change :confuse: .