Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Versa

Comments

• 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Heh, Nissan is worried about equipping cars with Bluetooth, but can't put cruise control any model other than the SL.
    Honda has the LX that has what the majority of buyers want and it sells more LXs than any other model for that reason.
    If Honda only made the DX and EX it would be different.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    If Honda sold a Civic 5-door in the U.S. it would be different, too. ;)

You seem really obsessed with the fact that Nissan doesn't plan to offer cruise on its base Versa trim line. If you really want a Versa S and cruise is important to you, it can be added aftermarket quite easily. Just as it can be on the base trim line for the Civic.
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    I think it can be a success in the 12-15k sticker range with discounts. It will be a solid competitor for the Rio, Fit, Accent and Yaris. I don't see much success if it goes for 16-19k. With the extra power and style of the Civic-Mazda3, the Versa won't compete very well. The new Sentra will probably be a real competitor for the Civic segment.
  • allfiredupallfiredup Member Posts: 736
    This argument really doesn't hold water. Yes, the base model Versa doesn't have cruise available. To get it on a Civic, you have to get the $17,060 LX model. To get it on the Versa you have to get the $15,555 SL model.

People would complain if cruise only came on the Civic EX with Nav, that car costs $20,310 which is $5200 more than a base Civic DX. Going from the base Versa S to the SL is only an increase of $2000 and for that you get cruise, power everything, keyless entry, alloy wheels and a few other items.

Basically, going from the Versa S to the SL model is the same as upgrading from a Civic DX to an LX, not an EX.

As mentioned earlier, some cars in this class don't have cruise on any model- Kia Rio, Hyundai Accent. Many others don't have cruise on the base model- Honda Civic DX, Mazda3 i, Ford Focus S to name a few.

The Versa represents a solid value in the sub-Civic range. It's not really a competitor and doubt there will be much cross shopping between the two, so comparisons of the cars aren't really that valid.
    The reason I keep mentioning the cruise control is because this is supposed to be a sub-Civic car. With cruise, the base model would have been a livable econo car for people who do some freeway cruising (maybe a daily freeway commute to work and occasional long trips), but having to bump up to the SL bumps up the price where the styling can no longer be ignored and people start thinking about cars the next level up (like a Civic).
    Cruise control cannot be installed aftermarket in some modern cars, so it remains to be seen if an aftermarket cruise control will ever be available for the Versa.
    Your argument doesn't hold water, IMO. If making people get a Versa SL, which costs about the same as a Civic DX, in order to get cruise makes people think about moving up to a Civic, then they'd need to ante up another $1500 or so over and above the Versa SL to get a Civic that has cruise. That's a big bump. More likely, if people want to save money and get features like cruise control, they'll go for something like an Elantra, which has cruise standard on all trim lines, even the base GLS, not a $17k Civic.
    OK, the Elantra may be a better choice than the Versa.
    If you want a low-priced car that is a comfortable highway cruiser and has cruise control, yes, I agree. But for anyone who is willing to spend $15k or so, the Versa might have the advantage--in safety if nothing else. I can't wait to drive one and compare it to the Elantra et. al. to find out.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I think that having to bump up to the SL to get Cruise Control is reasonable because the jump isn't too bad, especially if you finance it, and you can get a few more items that you can't get on the S.

I think the majority of sales will be the SL. The S, without the available features that you can get on the SL, is a way to advertise a bargain basement price.

Then again, you can always get Cruise on a Hyundai Elantra GLS, but an Elantra doesn't get 38MPG combined.
    I'm thinking the S with power package might be the best seller, but the SL might be. The base S is mainly to advertise a low price. Few people buy cars without power windows and locks anymore.

As several have said before, once you load up an SL with options it really gets too expensive when compared to similar cars. After the $17k mark or so, you're moving into a different class of car. Unless of course the Versa proves to be as good as more expensive cars like Civic and Mazda3. Who knows, that could be the case!

I just can't wait to get behind the wheel of a 6-speed manual to see for myself. I just hope this 1.8L is stronger than the one in Sentra. Anyone know hp estimate for it yet?
    120. This isn't a car designed for speed.
    I know it isn't designed for speed. What econo-car is (besides maybe a Mazda3)? Just the shape of it screams that out loud.

But sometimes there is something fun about inexpensive sub-compacts. Maybe I'm just a dork for thinking that, but there are some out there that are fun to drive. The Kia Spectra 5-speed comes to mind.

I'm just thinking that the 6-speed manual will help in the acceleration department and that could make this car fun to drive. Also, pretty much every car Nissan makes is fun to drive (Sentra SE/SE-R, Altima, Maxima, 350Z, even the Murano). Maybe this little car will follow in those footsteps. Or maybe it'll drive like a Chevette. :P Guess we'll see...
    I am hoping the 6th gear is designed for high fuel economy. If I want quickness, I'll buy a Mazda3, or a Cobalt SS. :) But I agree, you don't need a lot of power to have fun. My '85 Civic S had 76 hp and it was a lot of fun to drive. I doubt the Versa will be anywhere as bad as the Chevette.
  • giantkillergiantkiller Member Posts: 273
    How did you know that its gonna have worse mileage than the Civic? Post your dat and link.
    You seem to mind a base car with no cruise control, and yet you dont mind that the Civic DX has no A/C. What kind of car is that? And yet its price at $14.5K.
    You could get a Versa for 15K and get everything that a Civic LX has and more.
    Imagine what you could get for a $550.
    Yes you could say theyre not competing on the same class, so the difference in the price.
    I'd say thats incorrect. The Versa while its a subcompact has more interior passenger and cargo space than the compact Civic. Its has all the equipment and safety features that the Honda Civic have, and its cheaper.
    Now thats a reason for consumer to do cross shopping.
    Lets talk about performance. A lot of people posting here on Edmunds could'nt get into their thick skull that not all cars are made so that you could race each guy you find on the street. The Versa is too nerdy, the Corolla looks boring, what did they do to the Civic, Mazda 3 rocks and so on and so forth.
    there is no Japanese car company more commited to performance and motorsports than Toyota, Nissan,Honda and Mitsubishi in that order. If you need performance, your in the wrong place. If you want performance check out their other cars.
    Have you check the 2004 Renault Clio ? What about the Clio of the 1990's? What about the new 2005 Renault Clio? What year is it now? 1990's Euro styling, why?
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    ...and will probably give the Yaris a run for the money. One of my biggest complaints about the Echo and Scion xA I had were the small, underpowered motor (there were speculation as to how many hamsters were really on the treadmill).

The Versa isn't the prettiest car I've seen, but given

the 1.8 engine, with an "honest" (new SAE test) 120 hp;

a 6 speed manual (!!!) or CVT (and Nissan has a lot of CVT experience)

I cannot NOT look at it when it comes out.

Let's hope the crash test results are more modern (better) than rhe horribly outdated Sentra....
    You'll be surprise. A lot of car looks better in person than in the picture.
    I didnt like the new Yaris based on what I see from the picture. In person, it looks good, well proportioned and bigger. The Jazz/Fit looks good in the picture but not in person. It looks so ordinary more like a miniaturize Odyssey .
    The Chevrolet Kalos looks better han the Jazz/Fit. I thought its a new subcomapact from Chevy but when I look at the back its the same as Aveo. In fact its an Aveo, except for the headlights and grill.
    I had an '85 CRX with that same 76hp. Probably the same exact 5-speed as the Civic S, too. It was my first car back in '88. By far the most fun car I've ever owned.
    Don't forget you can bargain on these prices.

So $17K MSRP realistically means something like $15,500 after a few hours of bargaining.
    It will be interesting to see what the Nissan dealers do right at launch--try to get full MSRP, or be more reasonable. If the former, then there's always the Fit, the Yaris, the Rio5, the Elantra...
    Since when has any dealer never TRIED to get full MSRP? It is really up to the buyers on whether there is enough demand for dealers to get MSRP.
    Of course, they are going to TRY to get MSRP!
    I doubt they'll get it.
    Nissan won't be exploring new territory by the time they launch the Versa.

So a basic S with power package model should be right around $13K-$14Kish if you bargain. (correct me if I'm wrong, I forgot the list price of the S model w/ power package)
    I guess I should have said "demand MSRP", like some dealers are doing now on the '06 Civic and '06 Sonata. Is that better?
    I'm sure the Fit will end up like the Civic is now- with dealers selling them for MSRP. As long as the market will support it, they'll be able to get that for them.

Isn't the fit going to be built in Japan? If so, I wonder if that will make it more endearing to some shoppers since Japan-built Japanese cars are become more and more rare?
    That will give the Fit an advantage with some buyers over the likes of the Versa, Accent, Rio, and Aveo. But won't the U.S.-market Yaris be made in Japan, also?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    They can only demand MSRP as long as they can get MSRP. If the vehicles aren't moving, the price changes rather quickly.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Yes, it does. But I'm sure you've seen this phenomenon of when a new model comes out, initially dealers try to hold the line on price, and there are few if any rebates. Then as the first few "gotta be the first on my block" buyers have had their fill, the prices loosen up and the rebates start coming (with a few exceptions for hot models like Prius and Mini Cooper). I noticed this when the first new Quests came out. Now, there are huge rebates and discounts available, and even a value-priced model.
    don't forget the Odyssey, where MSRP was prevalent up until the MMC.
  • mindaugusmindaugus Member Posts: 20
    Looks great! Not the prettiest car but for this segment it could be a big success. An efficient engine at 120 HP should be strong and clean enough for most. Also I read they have used soft touch plastics, to give it a sense of quality. Add a 6 speed manual, and enough room to haul stuff and wow, sounds like fun. Plus you don't have to swallow that bit of throw-up you get with you look at the Yaris and Fit. This car is everything Kia should of done with the new Rio from what I can tell. It's got Bluetooth! Not sure what it does but its cool right! I think of what I've seen this is the most interesting product entering the segment. Guess I'll have to wait and see what Ford can come up with or if Chrysler will compete.
    Here's an idea of what Bluetooth can do in a car (assuming Nissan implements it this way in the Versa): your cell phone is integrated into the car's systems via a wireless Bluetooth connection (you'll need a Bluetooth-enabled phone). When your phone rings, it rings through the car's speakers. You answer using a voice command, or maybe a button on the steering wheel. You just look straight ahead and drive, and talk like you are having a conversation with someone in the car. Some Bluetooth systems have voice-command dialing also. Yes, pretty cool. Maybe someone familiar with Nissan's Bluetooth technology from other models can comment.
    Concept
    "image
    Production
  • gwidogwido Member Posts: 25
    According to what I read, the "sport concept" was based on the production model, ant not the other way around. I'm pretty sure the model was in production (as the Nissan Tiida in Japan) before the concept came out.
    Youre right. The Tiida came out first before the sports concept. Actually the sports concept was based on the Tiida.
    Here's a pic of Versa 1.8L.

Not bad. I wouldn't mind being seen in this car.
    for me is the deal breaker. I hope it gets better fuel economy than the Corolla.
  • bobob20032000bobob20032000 Member Posts: 69
    The Toyota Corolla is one of the worst cars on the road. It has bad fuel economy for its size, with a weak engine. It is unreliable and is unsafe. You pay too much for options that should be standard (JBL, ABS, Side Airbags, Moonroof, Leather Seats, Alloy Wheels, Navigation (should be optional at least), Bluetooth, Heated Seats, Massaging Rear Seats, Rear Cooler, 3-zone climate control). Just get a 2006 Infiniti M35, it has most of that and more!!

Nissan is the best car company out there and will leave Toyota in the dust.
    I guess you meant Toyota has the best fuel economy in its class. 41/32 with the manual transmission and 124 hp. What compact gets better gas mileage with a gasoline engine? I agree the Versa better get more mpg than Corolla. No other Nissan comes close to the Corolla in fuel economy.
    Huh?

The Corolla isn't anywhere near the car the M35 is.... They do not compete at all. The Corolla is an economy car for consumers on a budget, while the M35 is for those people who can afford a performance luxury car.

So granted, it costs less than half than the M35.

The Corolla is an efficient car. 40MPG. Can't say that about your M.

Then again, the M is a REALLY cool car. I see them when I bring my I35 by the local dealer for service appointments. And a few are driving around town. Some M45s, but mostly M35s.

The Corolla doesn't look too bad, but the new Civic blows it away, IMO
    When is the Corolla up for a redesign anyways?

So back to the Versa...
    Bluetooth? Massaging Rear Seats? These things aren't available on ANY compact or subcompact currently.

The Corolla has better fuel economy than most competitors. The Corolla has comparable acceleration to other compacts, 0-60 in 9.5 seconds with automatic.

It is also priced comparably to its competitors (Mazda3 and Honda Civic) when you add the options to the Corolla that are standard on the others. Making them optional just gives consumers the opportunity to pick and choose which ones they want

Infinit M35? What have you been smoking??? Why not get freaked out because the Honda Civic doesn't have all the equipment that is standard on the Acura RL?

Your argument doesn't hold water.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    While we are all puzzled by this member's expectations in the economy class, let's try to stay focused on the Versa instead of the Corolla. Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    The Corolla has 126 real (SAE certified horses). Just a small clarification.

~alpha
    In Today's copy of The Tennessean in the business section there is an article about the quality problems regarding the cars Nissan builds in Canton, Mississippi.

How will this affect public perception for the Versa?

Your opinions please...
    Isn't the Versa for the U.S. supposed to be built in Mexico, in the plant that now builds the Sentra? Which btw doesn't have a stellar reliability picture.
    I've read somewhere that Nissan's quality for 2005 is higher compared to like a year before or 2-3 years ago. The quality rating suffered I think because of problems on the Quest and Pathfinder which I believe was due to 1st year manufacturing glitches in Canton, Mississipi.
    Anyways, my take is that Nissans quality as a whole sits below where Toyota and Honda are.
    The question is , will they polish their manufacturing processes in Agualientes Mexico so as not to have the same quality problems they have in Canton Miss?
    All I know is, the quality of my '92 Sentra was very good and that of my '97 Sentra was excellent. But those were both made in Smyrna, TN. Based on info from CR for instance, it appears the quality/reliability of the Sentra in particular has declined since then. For the last five years, according to CR, the reliability picture for the Sentra is:

2000 - Average
    2001 - Average
    2002 - Below Average
    2003 - Below Average
    2004 - Average

The reliability of other Nissans, e.g. Maxima, Murano, and Pathfinder, are much better--all of those have solid "Above Average" marks from CR.

So if the Versa is going to come from the same plant as the Sentra, that is a bit worrisome for me.
    My first car was a 91-94 sentra (B13) and it was utterly relaible. That engine will take anything you throw at it. Its made in Japan actually and it still sit in our garage back in my home country and from time to time I let my younger brother drive it. Thats the reason I'm bias towards Nissan.
    Thats the reason why car manufacturer shouldnt forget about the small or affordable cars. Its where they can build loyalty.
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    Toyota and Honda, according to the CR surveys, produce vehicles with 1/2 the long term defects of American cars.

The defect rate, in absolute numbers, is quite low for toyonda. The defect rate, in absolute numbers, for American cars is great....

But on these forums, a single defect in a toyonda is ignored as a forgiveable sin, while two defects in an American car is a sign the thing is falling apart. (I simplify; some owners of both categories of cars have no defects at all, and some get lemons.)

In my own experience, there isn't a statistically significant variation between Japanese and American cars to make a difference (except for one worrisome 2001 Focus, which was due to Ford's utter stupidity in treating a major assembly line change to a new model as though it was just a minor annual refreshening of an existing model - as reported in Detroit newspapers).

SO I don't think we have to particularly worry about the Sentra or Versa being "lemons."
    Well, no one mentioned "lemons". But if the choice is between a manufacturer, and factory, with a great record of producing reliable cars and a manufacturer and/or factory that has a so/so record, that will be one decision point for me. Not the most important, though.
    My '03 Maxima has been rock solid since day one, but I know they've had some quality issues on other models. My Maxima was built in Japan. Too bad the Versa won't be manufactured there as well. The biggest competitor, Honda Fit, will be Japanese made unless volume makes U.S. production viable. That seems like a significant advantage (if only perceived, not actual) over the Versa.

Still, the Versa will sell like hotcakes. At Hyundai Accent and Kia Rio prices, who wouldn't prefer a Nissan? Especially with higher fuel economy numbers and 6-speed manual.
    In Automobile, it says with the CVT the Versa gets up to 38mpg. I predict about 38/29. If the 6 speed only gets the same or slightly better, then the 38 combined that was reported was just a mistake. If the Versa gets only about 33-35 combined then it, like the Toyota Yaris, will make no significant improvement over the Corolla or Civic. I guess the Honda Fit is the last chance for a real high mileage car anytime soon that is not either diesel or hybrid.
    It could also be that Automobile Magazine made the mistake in mis-reporting Nissan's "38 mpg combined" figure for the CVT. These auto mags (and web sites!) do make mistakes sometimes. For example, I just read a review yesterday in MT of a Sonata GLE--except there is no such thing.

I tend to believe it was Automobile Magazine that made the mistake, because I saw the "38 mpg combined" figure in multiple places following the pre-launch announcement, including Nissan's press release.