Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

1983 Mazda B2000....HELP ME PLEASE!!!

mazda1453mazda1453 Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Mazda
Hi I own a 1983 Mazda B2000 Pickup truck and I am trying to restore and mod it. I have searched and searched but I can't seem to find a roll pan for it, so I was wondering if anyone knew of a roll pan that would fit it, like a roll pan for a different model? If you could please let me know as I am in dyer need of this info.

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Give these people a call:

http://www.sirmichaels.com/

Host
  • Options
    mazda1453mazda1453 Member Posts: 2
    They don't seem to make on either, any other options?
  • Options
    It's an odd request, but call them up. The way to get this done is to call vendors even if they don't seem to have your part---they in turn give you suggestions, which gives you other suggestions, etc etc.
  • Options
    bob102bob102 Member Posts: 2
    airbagit.com has rollpans for the b-series. try them.
  • Options
    bob102bob102 Member Posts: 2
    Do you know where to get a crankshaft for the '86 b2000
  • Options
    empiredjempiredj Member Posts: 21
    If I'm not mistaken that Model Year truck is the same as the Ford Courier pickup.

Ford's 2.3L Turbo engine should drop right in with very little modification.

The hard part would be doing all the wiring for the ECU, but you can try and locate an early blow-through carb' 2.3L Turbo engine usually found in '79-'81 Mustang Cobras, also some Mercury Zephyer XR-7's and early 80's Ford Thunderbirds as well.

Another option is to swap in a Ford 2.3L, give Esslinger a call and you can build up a hot 200-230hp Street 2.3L OHC engine.
  • Options
    rickyhw3rickyhw3 Member Posts: 1
    for a 2.3 turbo to work you have to redo the engine compartment. it is eazyer to use a pinto engine. i know this because i did it to a 1979 mazda b 2000.
  • Options
    rjoertlerjoertle Member Posts: 1
    I'm trying to locate a performance camshaft for a 1986 FE 2.0 SOHC in a B2000 pickup.
  • Options
    vahankinvahankin Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased an 87' B2000. The guy started to work on it and removed the radiator, water pump, etc. to get to the timing belt. He is not interested in getting back into it so I picked it up for $150. All parts included except the radiator.

I am far from a mechanic...I plan to buy the book and attempt to put this thing back together. Does anyone have any suggestions or things to watch out for? I will be replacing the timing belt, water pump and radiator. These are all off of the vehicle already. All parts are there, I just need to figure out where they go. I'm a newby at working on vehicles so I want to make sure there aren't any items that with a little experience I would know about and not mess this thing up.

Thanks,
  • Options
    the_beanthe_bean Member Posts: 14
    i'm building an '86 b2000 right now and there's tons of places you could search...

jcwhittney.com
    autopartswarehouse.com
    ckresto.com
    airbagit.com
    godfathercustoms.com
    sporttrucking.com

something you might be interested in though is that i heard a rumor that a kia spectra DOHC head will bolt right up to the block of the b2000 motor. thus making it easier to apply a turbo set-up! plus you get the added bonus of better gas milage, feul injetion, and more torque/hourse power. however i haven't been able to find what year kia the head should be pulled from. i'll keep looking and let you know what i find. e-mail me if you come up with any ideas or if you need tech help while your building at borderjumper21@msn.com
  • Options
    i'm building an '86 b2000 right now and there's tons of places you could search...

jcwhittney.com
    autopartswarehouse.com
    ckresto.com
    airbagit.com
    godfathercustoms.com
    sporttrucking.com

something you might be interested in though is that i heard a rumor that a kia spectra DOHC head will bolt right up to the block of the b2000 motor. thus making it easier to apply a turbo set-up! plus you get the added bonus of better gas milage, feul injetion, and more torque/horse power. however i haven't been able to find what year kia the head should be pulled from. i'll keep looking and let you know what i find. e-mail me if you come up with any ideas or if you need tech help while your building at borderjumper21@msn.com
  • Options
    These engines use VERY tricky carburetors that are expensive to replace and near impossible to rebuild. I'd be sure to get the engine running first, even without a radiator on it or pulley or alternator---just to be sure it runs right. If it runs badly you may want to bail out because a new carb will cost you a lot of money and you can buy these trucks very cheaply, all shiny and running great.

I'd encourage you to take this on as a learning project but don't get over excited and start spending money too fast. Take it a step at a time. You can run an engine without a radiator or accessories for a short time with no harm (a few minutes).

Don't buy untested junk parts and work from the core of the car (the engine) out toward the accessories. Don't be buying fancy wheels or a radiator before you even get the engine assembled.
  • Options
    hey thanks for the advise and i took that into consideration and decided to scrap the whole "frankin-mazda engine" and just do an engine swap. i'm getting a toyota 5rz (3.4L 240hp fuel injected V-6) and 5speed manual tranny. i figured that would be a better route since i needed to get a drive shaft even if i kept the mazda engine.
  • Options
    That sounds like a worthwhile project. Is there a big difference in engine weight? I wonder. Also hopefully you won't have to set the engine too far forward. I'm presuming you are not going to work with power steering, so I bring this up. Also wider tires will also contribute to steering effort.
This discussion has been closed.