Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac G6 Hardtop Convertible

Comments

• shouldbeworkinshouldbeworkin Member Posts: 26
    Ouch. Sounds like a mess. I had the same thought on the longevity of the hard top as you when I picked up my car. That's why I ended-up going for a 3 year lease and keeping it inside the car's warranty period.

You mentioned that they replaced some hydraulic cylinders. I haven't look at the mechanics of the top too closely, are is there actually a hydraulic system in there?? I'd just seen the electric motors from my quick look.

Good luck!
  • vagatorvagator Member Posts: 18
    yes SBW, it is my understanding that the top operates by hydraulics. I thought that was the case when I first looked at the mess in the trunk. This was verified when the svc manager said they found a blown cylinder and the hydraulic fluid tank needed fluid. Actually he said the blown cylinder had caused the system to loose all the fluid. I ask where this tank was, so I could keep an eye on it. He said it was not an item that was accessible to the owner like checking the oil, and owner should never have to check it.
    I have done a bit of mechanical stuff and have a pretty good logic about mechanical things. I think the real problem is that dealers do not anyone that really knows the system. Also, this problem has something to do with driving the car on the road and not testing in the shop. These guys told the wife they had the top up and down multiple times and even kept the car an extra day to do more up and down testing. I believe them about that. But the last two times I got it out of the shop, once the car was driven on the hi-way then the top would not function. Is there something about a voltage problem too high on the hydraulic pump? Maybe a short in a sensor wire some where? I have no idea. I do think that for some reason the pressure gets too high in the system and blows a seal in a cylinder. Whatever it is, I think they are fixing the result of the problem and do not know the actual problem. I also think there is some kind of system reset, on this last time they did not actually replace anything according to the invoice. It says they adjusted all four locking points and added a shim. It didn't even say anything about filling the fluid or replacing a cylinder. I found that strange as the svc manager had told us that the hydraulic fluid was empty again. The invoice does say that they "bled" the hydraulic system.
    I thought about the lease option, but around here I have heard too many horror stories about people turning in a car and 6 months later getting a bill per the lease agreement saying they had to replace "normal wera items" such as tires, brakes, etc. In one of these cases the guy had replaced the tires 3 weeks before the car was turned in. As long as you lease another vehicle things seem to be fine. But if you don't they seem to want to charge you for the "prep" for them selling the car.
    I will keep the group informed on my progress.
    Mike,
    I also had the "shaking" problem you talk about. My dealer does have free oil changes every 5000 miles for the life of the vehicle. That also is the millage for tire rotation and balance. so much for anything free. I mentioned the problem, sometimes it is better after a tire rotation/balance, some times not. But, it always comes back. I do think it is a desgn problem some where, but have just learned to live with it until something happens.
  • kimba764kimba764 Member Posts: 1
    I OWN A PONTIAC G6 HARD TOP CONVERTIBLE AND WAS DRIVING IT TODAY WITH THE TOP DOWN. I STOPPED TO USE A DRIVE UP ATM MACHINE. THE ATM MACHINE WAS ON THE BUILDING AND THERE WAS A MIRROR ON TOP OF THE MACHINE. I PROCEEDED TO DO MY TRANSACTION AND I STARTED TO SMELL A REALLY BAD ODOR.THE ODOR WAS GETTING STRONGER AND I LOOKED DOWN TO SEE MY LEATHER(OR WHATEVER THEY USE)STEERING WHEEL SMOKING. YES, IT WAS SMOKING. THE SUN WAS SO STRONG THE ONLY THING THAT I CAN EXPLAIN IS THAT THE SUN WAS REFLECTING OFF OF THE MIRROR AND HITTING THE WHEEL THAT IT CAUSED IT TO MELT.IS THAT NOT BIZARRE. BY THE WAY I LIVE IN FLORIDA. I REPORTED THE INCIDENT TO ROADSIDE AND PLAN ON TAKING IT IN TO THE DEALERSHIP ON MONDAY. ALSO, I HAVE HAD MY CAR SERVICED FOR THE RATTLING NOISE INSIDE. IT'S QUITE FOR A FEW DAYS AND THEN STARTS UP AGAIN.
  • sobeg6sobeg6 Member Posts: 50
    The shaking also known as "cowl shake" is a design issue. It has to do with the weight distribution of the car.. if you take notice it happens more when the top is down. Most older convertibles did this, but with new design you don't hear of it much anymore.. Pontiac really tried here but blew it.. they could have something special with this car.. The look of the are is great, lots of style. But, however they lost it with design and details.. I had a HTC fully loaded with 3.9 and every package and option.. traded it in after 9 months.. could not stand it anymore.. Lots of problems. Very disappointed with it and went back to the forign cars. I gave the American car a chance and they confirmed everything I was told by friends.... hope you all have better experience than me. Happy motoring.
    Well, the car stayed in the shop all of last week with the latest problem of the top not operating. I had the wife call GM. I had her ask the dealer if a case file with GM had been opened. The gave a song and dance about GM got copies of all service and that was the case file (NOT). The GM rep, after the wife had did the normal automated questions on the phone, Listen to the whole story and said she would talk with the dealer and get back to her Wednesday between 3-5 pm. BTW, I am letting the wife handle most this because she more patience than I do. I have short temper when people lie to me. In the end, that doesn't solve the problem.
    The GM rep called at 5 til 5pm on Wednesday. The wife was about to give up on her as the main problem through this whole mess has been no one keeping us informed of the status on the car.
    On Wednesday the rep kept talking about how GM and Pontiac wanted to do the right and make her happy, etc. She said the dealer thought they were on the right track. My thouhts are that it is about time.
    The dealer called Friday and said the car was ready. The wife went to pick it up and the service manager says all the stuff about it is fixed now and all. Then proceeds to tell her, "If you want to get out from under this car, this is what you need to do. The car has 26K miles on it now. When you get 36,001 miles come in and we can get you into another car", RIGHT. First that would get them off the hook for the 7yr/100K extended bumper to bumper warranty they sold me when I bought the car. Second, GM would be off the hook since the bumper to bumper 3yr/36K warranty would be gone. That would just leave the 5yr/100K powertrain warranty. that is, if it is transferable. I am not sure about that. All of this is me talking, not the service manager, about the warranties that is. I guess me buying another car at 36,001 miles would be a great answer for the dealership, but what about the poor customer that buys it used?
    The GM rep called the wife Friday afternoon and asked if the top was working now? The wife told her it was, but a big "clunk" when the top hit the windshield frame when putting the top up. I drove it for the first time today and the wife was right about the clunk, but I don't think it is excessive. We will just have to wait and see. The also makes more or a "creaking" noise going down than it did before. Again, we will have to wait and see.
    The GM rep asked the wife what to would take to make her happy, that GM and Pontiac wanted her as a return customer. To be honest, we do not have the attitude of never buy another Pontiac or GM car due to this. Things do happen and there can be problems with a car from any maker. What makes the difference is how the maker handles it. I think th secret is t get a problem to GM/Pontiac instead of the dealer. Most dealer are there to make money, period. Unless you have some kind of special clout with a dealer I would not expect too much from them on a re-occurring problem.
    To get back to the GM rep, the wife told her what would make her happy. First, she does what another car. We gave the dealer that option. I don't remember if I mentioned it but the dealer treated us like we bought a car we were not happy with. The service manager turned us over to, I assume, their best salesman, you know the type. any way in the end the deal was not only would they give us 4,500.00 less than the loan balance, but the price for the new car did not include the 2,000.00 for the extended warranty I paid for this car. If that isn't bad enough they wanted 2000.00 more for the new car than I paid for this one a year ago. In the end it would have cost us about 12,000.00 for them to "HELP" us. I don't think so, not in this lifetime. I was born in the dark, but it was not last night. the wife and I have been buying new cars since 1968. You learn a little in that time. Besides, who is to say a new one would not have the same problems. No, I have the remainder of the factory 3yr/36K bumper to bumper and the 7yr/100K extended. I put a lot of miles on a car as I drive about 80 miles to and from work. the wife and I have decided I will not drive the G6 to work. She puts about 5K a year on a car so it should go close to the 3yrs. Then I have the extended warranty. Sorry for taking so long to get to it, what we want that is from GM.
    The wife told the rep she wanted the top operating part of the car covered for as long as we own the car because it is an existing condition that Pontiac and GM are aware of. that is lain from the posts here. Also the extended warranty plan requires a $100.00 deductible per service. The wife explained that because the dealer checked the car out of the system before she picked it up it would have cost us 600.00 if we were under the extended warranty. Also that we would be provided with a loner for problems related to the top as long as we owned the car. The GM rep is calling back next week with an answer but said it sounder fair to her. We will see when she calls back next Wednesday. I will keep the group posted on it.

vagator
  • hal56hal56 Member Posts: 94
    the obvious solution is to get rid of car before it hits 36k or 3 years.

I have another problem. When I get into traffic where I slow down to say 5-10 mph, when I hit the gas there is a slight lag then a clunk from the tranny.

I feel the tranny is getting damaged. Too bad that Pontiac is using old technology that does not work well in this car. By now you would think they know how to make a silky smooth tranny.

The car is a disappointment since it does not excell in any area. Laying claim to being the least expensive does not do any good if its also the poorest built and engineered.
    Hal,
    I guess getting rid of it before 36K or 3 yrs would be best for most people due to reliability and needing the car on the road. I have a bit of an advantage there. Besides the G6 I also have a mini-van, Jeep cherokee, 2 full size vans, and a motorcycle. No, I think they will be working on this one for 7 yrs or 100K miles. I think the dealer would love for me to take a bath on it. But then they would pass it on to some customer as a used car. I also think GM will figure out the top problems eventually and fix it right. With just the wife driving it, she puts about 5K a year on her car, I will get the full 3 yrs of factory warranty. If it gets to be a real pain, after the convertiable thing wears off for the wife, I will just use it as a hardtop. I know it isn't the ideal situation, but it better than taking a big loss of dollars. I am also stubborn enough that I have decided they ARE going to keep working on it until it is right. The dealer can take it up the a*s on the labor cost.

As for the hesitation I am thinking it is due t the servo that operates the fuel body. I haven't really looked at the setup but most cars today use servos instead of a cable to open the fuel body valve. It also may be due to the EPA stuff. It may be designed not to dump gas too fast to keep emissions down.

I can't help you on the tranny. Actually, I wish they would put a 5 or 6 speed manual in there. I think it would be better on gas and more fun to drive. About the gas mileage, I have the 3.5 v-6 and seem to get better mileage than most I read about here. I get around 24 in town, and 28-31 on the hi way. I do use the cruise almost all the time on the hi way. I know what you mean about the technology. I am an ole "GOAT" guy. I loved those cars. But then GM went with the same cars with different nameplates :cry: , what a shame. With the exception of top problems, the wife has been pretty happy with the car. If they would put a 350 small block V-8, RWD, and a 5 speed in it I would be a happy camper. But then they would want 50K for one I guess.

Good Luck,
    gator
    I have a 9 year old vette that is better in all regards except the 4 seats.

there is just too much compromise in the G6 HTC. I have the larger engine and get 23ish hiway and 17 ish in town.

But it is not a quick car. The stereo radio and speaker system plain ole sucks.

They could have made this into a halo car for a couple of grand more. I looked at new tires that would be more performance oriented. Most everything is.

but it is what it is.
  • stevensorianostevensoriano Member Posts: 40
    Gosh...I must be the luckiest boy in the world. My G6 is rattle free, looks great and acomplishes the mission well. No, it isn't as fast as an M3 or a Corvette, but I kind of knew that going into it. It is appliance reliable, and feeds me sunshine daily.

New, out the door, leather and every option it was sub $30k, including the $0 deductible extended warrantee from GM. That is less than the first year's depreciation on a new Vette or a new M3. I look at it this way... I just passed my one year anniversary of ownership, so if I had bought the M3 or similar, I would be down the same amount of money....the G6 is free from here on out.
  • stevensorianostevensoriano Member Posts: 40
    Gosh...I must be the luckiest boy in the world. My G6 is rattle free, looks great and accomplishes the mission well. No, it isn't as fast as an M3 or a Corvette, but I kind of knew that going into it. It is appliance reliable, and feeds me sunshine daily.

New, out the door, leather and every option it was sub $30k, including the $0 deductible extended warrantee from GM. That is less than the first year's depreciation on a new Vette or a new M3. I look at it this way... I just passed my one year anniversary of ownership, so if I had bought the M3 or similar, I would be down the same amount of money....the G6 is free from here on out.
    It sound like you got a good Steven. But then I have no serious gripes with mine other than the top problems. I am glad I found out what the shake in the steering was here. As long as in normal it is no big problem. I paid about the same as you, maybe a little difference. I bought my 2007 in JUL of 06. I think it was one of the first 07 and some changes have been made. They did have to replace the hard-sheel on the back of the drivers seat when a clip broke. Actually I think the dealer broke it because I noticed it right after the deal had it for a routine check. Also there was some kind of glue on the clip where someone had tried to glue it back on. anyway, my point is that the new hard-shell was wider than mine and they had to re-order. I think maybe I have 06 bucket seats.
    Like I said, If they can get the top fixed right I have no other gripes with the car. It is fun to drive and I didn't expect a vette or a muscle car. I have the tan leather and love it. my biggest problem has been with the dealer trying to get me to buy another for more than I paid a year ago and wanting me to pay 4,000 + on the loan on this car. I wish you continued good luck with your.
  • rad1701rad1701 Member Posts: 13
    I leased my 2007 G6 HTC this past July and it's been performing well. The top has been fine and I used it almost daily during the summer. Getting a bit cooler here in Michigan so I am keeping it up most of the time now. Never had a leak or problem with it (knock on wood). I do get a little rattle here or there at times, but nothing too severe. The car drives well and I find the power to be fine even with the lower size engine I got. I average about 23 mpg.

I have to say this has been my favorite car ever (at least so far). I love having a HTC and I have never had more compliments on a car I have owned. Most people are so shocked if the top is up and I put it down. They say, "I didn't know it could do that! That is so cool." I love the look of the car, top up or down. I did lease it to play it safe. But if it continues to run well I'll be buying a new one when the lease is up!
    My top has been working well for a week now, so far so good. The wife has a phone appointment with the GM folks on Monday about what she wants in a warranty on the top mechanics. The biggest problem in this whole mess has been no one keeping informed of the status on the car. It has been mostly the dealer. But GM was supposed to call the wife last Tuesday and didn't. The wife called Wednesday and woman said she had to take off on Tuesday, that is why she didn't call. Actually I think they were hoping that since we had the car back and top working we would just let it drop.
    As said before, we like the car, except for top problems and it was over a year before problems started. The car does a lot of attention when people see the hardtop go up or down.

Best of Luck
  • rjentrjent Member Posts: 19
    You know vagator, I really don't want to make you mad, but this thread is totally consumed by your negative posts. I believe we got your point. Ours G6 HTC has been absolutely wonderful and a pleasure to drive top up or down.

I for one, would appreciate your refraining a post if it is just more bashing. It has been suggested you get rid of the car and you won't do that either. :confuse:

Honestly, I, for one, don't want to hear it anymore?! :(

If they fix it, fine tell us about it. There are a lot of happy folks with their G6 Hard Top Convertibles, let's hear from them now! :mad:
  • jpavlickjpavlick Member Posts: 12
    I agree I have the 2006 and have had it since May of 06.
    Love it still and people still comment on it. Chicago here so has been through all seasons... Love the car no problems at all...

Joe
  • aaamorrisaaamorris Member Posts: 21
    Forums should contain both positive and negative comments, but I agree that a blow-by-blow accounting about a lemon doesn't add much. For example, one poster had a rattle problem, and posted the fix. That sort of information is useful.

On the positive side, zero problems with my car. The great thing about G6 convertibles is they seem rare. I've owned mine for a year, and I still have not seen another one on the road, at least not with its top down. People still pull up at lights and say, "nice car" or "what kind of car is that?" (Always when the top is down, which is 95% of the time.)
  • rcfoprcfop Member Posts: 2
    Only have the G6 for less than one month. The top "stops" and remains "insecure" - rattles with top up but decreases if you silicone the rubber round the window tops. The top itself appears to be setting "half and inch" off to the passenger side of the body. With the top UP, you can "see" thru the roof section just before the windscreen on the passenger side but not on the driver side.... Obvious that the top itself is not lined up and that may be part of the malfunctioning and noise. Oddly enough, the dealer has had the car twice and they say ... "No problems putting top up and down" and on one occasion I actually witnessed that... Great luck on their part, for sure. QUESTION ? Does anyone have any updates on GM getting the "kinks" out of the roof so that it will function. I am assuming that the roof is warranteed for the first three years, 36,000..... Someone correct me if I am wrong. Winter is approaching and the G6 will be garaged until April of 2008 with less than one thousand miles on it........ Maybe by then they will fix the problems.
    A "less" minor problem. I "assumed" my black on black GT would match ALL the pix. However, I failed to note that the black side molding was not on my car.... Found out after signing it off.... Actually was told by dealer parts folks that not only was there NO molding for a G6 HDTPConv in 2007 but never made available. Just found out that molding DID come on the 2006 models. Service/Parts actually told me that the brochures "lie" and I should not have paid attention to them...
    Other than that, I thoroughly enjoy the car in all other aspects. Also own a Grand National ( '87 ) a C-4 Vette - two Del sols for play and a Malibu Maxx. ALL others have far less if any road noise problems !!!!
  • gmerilligmerilli Member Posts: 25
    The problem appears to be lack of adequate training in diagnosing issues with the top at Pontiac. I have had several issues with my top(none of which made it completely non-functional). It seemed that it was a learning experience at the dealership where I took my car. However as GM issued technical bulletins, the mechanics seemed to be able to better diagnose the fine adjustments needed for the top to operate properly. If your mechanic is not going through the GM technical bulletins you should either insist that he does or go to another dealership. FYI, when comparing this to others HTCs remember this is the least expensive for all the features. Knowing everything that I know now, I would probably still make the same decision to buy this car. Although I would try to get the smaller 3.5 liter V-6. The 3.9L is a real gas hog(I get 16 - 17 MPG in mostly city driving), but since my commute is only 3miles each way it is not that big of a deal. I have had a lot of fun driving this car.
    my take on the car is that it is a nice car but not outstanding in any area. I wish it had a better tranny, a better stereo and a bit more power and better mileage (and room for my golf clubs).

Other than that--

but it is a nice daily drive. And I see many on the road.

I looked at the BMW and for around 20k in difference I made the judgement it was not worth it.

But I stil think Pontiac shoudl have a better tranny and better mileage especially in this day and age. The Stero is a product of the bean counters and they could have offered an upgrade and as well an MP3 jack.
    i agree that the problem is not enough experts on the top mechanics yet. The top has really been my only problem and we love the car and get decent millage, as I have said.
    to those that don't like negative things posted, i hope they never have problems. I came back to this group to see if my problem was rare as the dealer kept saying, and found it wasn't. If you back in the group far enough you will see my first posts from when i got the G6. I must say that I don't understand someone not wanting to hear about problems they may have in the future. I don't think I have been THAT negative. The forum as a whole has a high rating of the car and positive posts.
    I really don't understand it. But with that said, there are some that are paid by product makers to try and keep negative posters about their. But that is neither here or there. My top is still working good so far. BTW, t is covered by the 3yr/36,000 mile warranty.

vagator
  • rcfoprcfop Member Posts: 2
    FYI
    When I suggested that the service manager AND the sales managers go to this site, they were initially reluctant to do so. However, once they saw the large number of comments on the G-6 top, attitudes changed immediately. The Owner of the Dealership asked that I do NOT send any negative dealership comments in on my GM requested survey. The car is in the shop. They now admit to hearing the "noise" and acknowledge a problem with the top. To date they "re aligned" the moldings along both sides of the the roof, one side off to the degree that water leaks would be evident. I have a "loaner" for the duration and will see just what answers they will come up with in order to address the malfunctioning of the top. Will let everyone know.....

Have a good day
  • pontiachtcpontiachtc Member Posts: 1
    We have an 07 3.9 HTC that has had a rattling problem for the last year. Took it to my dealer 5 times to fix, they adjusted the door latch, adjusted the window regulators, adjusted the cables in the top and would return it saying it was fixed. Each time the rattle was still there when I took the car back. Called other dealers, but they wouldn't take the car (I thought you could go to any dealer). Finally called GM and complained. GM said any dealer should have taken me, they made an appointment with another dealer. The new dealer found that all 4 chrome moldings at the bottom of the windows were loose. They fixed that and now the rattle is gone. Unbelievable that my dealer couldn't figure it out, but now am happy with the car. Just want to put this out if anyone else is having rattle problems.

Besides this, no other issues with the car. The top works each time. Gas mileage around town isn't good (14 or 15), but highway is acceptable (26).
  • bab1067bab1067 Member Posts: 4
    :surprise: I am just updating on what has been going on. My G6 went in on Sept 5th and was returned to me on Oct 16th. They had my car for 6 weeks. I was told they found the problem after replacing all the seals, weatherstripping and rear windows. I was skeptical to say the least. I took the car to the car wash and my son was dodging the water drops and sitting in a puddle of water. Call Pontiac told them the car has been in six times, Pontiac engineers have been out to trouble shoot, the GM District Manager is involved and I was done. I wanted a buy back started. The next day I was called by Pontiac and GM to start the process. I am currently looking. My choice is a buy back or a collateral exchange. I'm choosing a collateral exchange. MSRP for MSRP and they pay all taxes and destination charges. I was asked if I wanted another G6 or Convertible (absolutely not)I am currently looking at a 2008 Acadia or Lucern. I do have to say they have all worked with me. It has been a lengthy process but they are fixing the problem. I never had any problems with the top retracting after they fixed the silinoid. My gas mileage around town was 18.6 and 21 highway. I live near chicago so have been through all the seasons. It doesn't have the best traction. Good luck to everyone who has this car. Be patient and work through the process. If you have a case file, do not let them close it or they can start all over. :O
    i am north of Chicago so I am not pleased to hear traction is not all that great in winter.

Now that it is getting colder I am beginning to hear more rattles in the top.

I know GM can build a real good car--my 99 vette is fantastic. But now 7/8 years later it appears GM is not progressing and learning on design, engineering and customer service.

I bought this car using the GM rebate card which I am no longer using. Do not want to be locked into a GM car.
  • bxdbxd Member Posts: 186
    Assuming similar drivetrain layouts (that is, comparing only FWD to FWD, or AWD to AWD)... snow traction is mostly a function of what kind of tires you run. I live in Cleveland so I need winter traction as well.

Those of you with G6 GTP... do you have the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A? These are "summer" performance tires. A hard rubber compound, larger tread blocks. Designed for stability, control... not snow and ice.

You should consider moving to an all-season tire.

Put the same tires on the G6 and any other FWD car and it will do just as well.

Now for those of you upset that GM put a summer tire on GTP's, that's a hard tradeoff for them. If they put all-seasons on, the people in the south who want serious handling and drive aggressively will call the tire choice mushy. If they put a summer tire on, northerners complain about snow traction.

Every buyer has different tastes when it comes to tires - I wish there was a way the manufacturers could ship the cars without tires and install them according to customer taste at time of purchase.

For those of you running the 225/50-18 size and needing snow traction, these would do very well for you:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Blizzak+L- M-25&partnum=25HR8BZLM25&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&place=0&speed_ratin- g=S&speed_rating=T&speed_rating=U&speed_rating=H&speed_rating=V&speed_rating=Z&s- peed_rating=W&speed_rating=Y&speed_rating=(Y)&minSpeedRating=S

They're a real winter tire. Which means twice a year you'd have to swap them with your other tires, but the cost isn't great, and the benefits during winter are tremendous. Plus your tires will last twice as long, considering you only use them part of the year.

Or you could switch to an all-season tire.
    The std tire is an all season Goodyear LS which is a relatively inexpensive tire.

Check with tirerack.com for alternatives--a few months ago all that was available was the OE tire--now there are several alternatives. All upgrades.

I do not think that with fwd one needs to change to a specific winter tire.

But tirerack rates the tires for you so you can make your own choice

has anybody upgraded the tire yet?
  • giff2giff2 Member Posts: 6
    I wish I had read these messages before I bought my car, because I would have left it on the lot. The roof on the driver side rattles, worse when it is cold. The dealer has washed his hands of it, sent us to an auto glass co. They tightened everything they could, it lasted a day. The rattle is back. Has anyone had any luck getting it fixed, and where did they take it. The brakes squealed so bad when we first got the car, we had to fight with them to do something about. After the second visit they replaced the brake pads.
  • sobeg6sobeg6 Member Posts: 50
    Don't let the dealer wash his hands of it.. It is their responsibility to fix it. You need to find out who the area manger is for GM and contact them. You should call GM direct and find out who the contact is and tell them you want to meet them at the dealer.. Once you tell your dealer you're doing so and you will also write a complaint about them, you will see how fast they will jump hoops for you.. I did it before I sold my G6, It worked for me... I was also sorry for buying the car.. Looks great, but what a piece of krap....
    giff2, when you said the dealer washed his hands of it I have to wonder if you bought the car used and with little or no warranty. If that is the case, your car may be one that GM bought back and dealer passing on to used car buyer. If you bought it used I would do a carfax and see what history there is on it.
    My top is still working so far. The wife is working with GM to get the top stuff covered for as long as I own the car. So far the dealer just wants to go 7yrs/100K miles. That is what I have with the extended warranty anyway. The only thing they are REALLY offering is to pay the 100.00 deductible and provide a loaner. We will see how it all works out in the end.

Good Luck,
    VaGator
  • chrissy9chrissy9 Member Posts: 8
    I got my G6 Conv in June of this year. I live in Northern Michigan and I was wondering how the cars get around in the snow. Thanks for the input.
    Christine :)

And for the record my top has started rattling as well, primarily on the drivers side. I haven't taken it to the dealership yet. However, when I do I will be taking along the information from these postings. Thanks to everyone for their postings.
    Has anyone been successful in getting their rattling top repaired? I have yet to take mine into the dealership. It didn't start rattling until about a month ago when the outdoor temperature started to drop.
    I was also curious if anyone is having a problem with the fan & temperature controls. The "auto" mode on the fan knob works sporadically and the temperature setting doesn't seem real accurate. I can have it set for 70 degrees in the "auto" mode and it won't shut off when it reaches temp. And sometimes the "auto" mode won't work at all; I'll have to turn the heat/cool on/off manually.
    Other than the rattling top and the flaky temperature controls, I have been very happy with my new car!
  • rjentrjent Member Posts: 19
    I know I can control my "rattles" (I don't really consider them that, because I think they are squeaks from rubber on glass, but whatever) with the spray on RV slide rubber lube. Just go down to your local RV dealer and they will have cans of product which is designed to keep the slide seals flexible and soft. I can spray mine down every couple of weeks and I have no "rattles". :D

As far as the temp controls, I don't know what to tell you. Everything is controled by computer these days so who knows what is up. :confuse:
  • yamawhoyamawho Member Posts: 9
    Just picked up my HTC from dealer, had it in at 11951 miles for TREMENDOUS rattling from roof by the back window. They had the car 4 days and did A LOT of work and it seems to be rattle free. It was REALLY bad when it was cold. We'll see what happens in the next week or so. Checking the Dealers repair order there are "bulletins" for the top rattle issue.I might even like the car now that the rattles are gone for now!!
    We bought the G6 brand new. I told our dealer about this forum, and guess what? they wanted the car back to check it out. They said they are getting bulletins from GM. It seems there are two hinges above the back glass, and second section that have to be replaced. I am going to take it in on Wed, we'll see what happens. Now I have a noise from underneath it sounds like a whistle, but they know what that is. My problem is all the parts have to come from the States, so it takes longer.
    We didn't get extended, maybe we should have. I'll let everyone know what happens. Thanks for the interest. Giff2
    We had a lot of rain which turned to ice, then it snowed, all in one day. I was nervous driving at first but with slower speed I made my 20 min drive to work in 30 min. not bad. The car handled really well. That was Thur, by Fri. it was all gone. It's just letting us know what we are in for. Well when you live in Canada you can expect anything. Living in Michigan you know too. Good Luck with the roof. Giff2
    Just to update everyone, the car has been out of the shop about 6 weeks now. The top is still working fine. The rattles everyone is talking about are noticeable now. I think it has something to do with cooler tempatures. I think I will try the silicone lubricant and also tell dealer about the hinges bulletins mentioned here, thanks. The wife heard the rattles before I did, when we first got it out of the shop. But she was not about to put it back in the shop for it until convertiable weather was over. Now, she says she will wait until after the holidays. She is driving the car exclusively as I do not want to put the mileage on it from my 100 mile a day drive.
    The dealer offered to pay the deductible on extended for 7 years or 100K on top problems. The wife is not happy and still working on it.

Merry Christmas to all,
    va gator
  • shouldbeworkinshouldbeworkin Member Posts: 26
    I'm in Saginaw, Michigan (mid-Michigan). I was very happy with the vehicle's handling on snow last year. However, since my last car was a rear-wheel drive manual Firebird without traction control, anything was a huge improvement. One thing that suprised me a bit with the traction control is how any tire slippage severly limits your throttle control for a couple seconds. This can make pulling out into traffic interesting. If you start on an icy patch, you may still have the throttle limited when you clear the ice and get onto the dry road. You won't be able to accelerate for another second or two.
  • robatrobat Member Posts: 1
    I got my G6 the day after Christmas, it had 17 miles on it. Before it turned 1000 miles it had to be towed back to the dealership because the power steering pump blew & locked up my steering! Thank the gods I was in a parking lot & not on the highway. 3 days later I get it back, that problem is fixed. Then I start in with the back window. It sounded like it was going to fall out every time I hit a bump. The dealership put some clips in & told me it was fixed. I didn't even get out of their lot before I turned around & took it back. They put some sealant in it this time & told me i was good to go. Same deal. I took it back & was told there was nothing they could do & I would just have to live with it. After going over the service managers head to the regional service manager (who said no problem, there are 3 bulletins & he knows how to fix it) it was finally fixed. Great! Shall I go on? Next my transmission decided it would no longer shift into 4th gear. They had the car for a week this time. It hasn't given me any trouble for 4 months now, but I am car shopping because I just don't trust it to not blow up in my face.
  • redrabit54redrabit54 Member Posts: 3
    I'm wondering if your top is currently working correctly. I've had an 07 since Nov. 06 and it's been in and out of the shop a dozen times. This last time the dealer said they couldn't fix it without GM help and instructed me to file a lemon law compalint. I did and they came down, took the car in to work on it and kept it for 17 days. The law says they have 10 to fix it so I'm trying to decide if we want to push the issue. I hate having a car that I LOVED when I bought it but now it just rattles and klanks, all top issues. The dealer told me there is a weld in the trunk that is coming loose, he's seen it on more than one. Has ANYONE who has one of these cars had it fixed after having trouble and it stay fixed. Mine has been fixed 11 times but it always starts rattling agian.
    Thanks for your imput!!!
    Hi, I had my car back to the dealer on Wed, it took 5 min to fix the rattle. Two rubber plugs between the back window and the next section. So far so good. Now if they could find a fix for the whistle everytime I accelerate, my car just might be as good as new. (No)
  • catkccatkc Member Posts: 10
    I purchased my 2007 Pontiac G6 convertible on July 28, 2007 new. I mentioned when I drove the car that I was concern about the amount of noise coming from the car. The dealer said they would take care of the problem. I took delivery on the car and took it back the next week and they adjusted an issue in the panel behind the driver seat. I continued to complain about the noise and took the car back the day after Thanksgiving and the service advisor agreed for me to take him for a drive so that I could point out the noise. We got no more than 100 feet out of the garage bay and he finally got it! I had to bring the car back for 2 days of work the week after Thanksgiving where they had to order some parts and use a service bulletin titled "Rattle/Creak Noise Retractable Hard Top (Convertible) (Adjust Roof) #06-08-59-003B - (07/30/2007). Models 2006-2007 Pontiac G6 Built Prior to June 1, 2007. The conditions identified in the document were
    Rattle/ticking type noises over bumps in colder weather from mid-roof area; Rattle/ticking type noise over bumps from the front top of the windshield header area;
    Creak/pop type noise over bumps from rear quarter panel area;
    Seal itch type noise;
    Snap/ticking type noise over bumps from rear quarter glass area;
    Snap/knocking type noise over bumps from rear shelf/tonneau panel/flipper door area;
    Creak/pop/thump type noise over bumps in rear wheel well area;
    Creak/pop/thump type noises over bumps in rear trunk area.

They told me when I picked the vehicle up that the tech working on the car said that I should put silicon on a rag and wipe the moldings down every 2 weeks. I am working on confirming the type of lubricant so that GM does come back and invalid my warranty due to using incorrect libricant because the moldings are now too soft.

I will say that my car yesterday afternoon and evening was so quiet. It was great, I know can enjoy the stereo and xm even more. It is about 28 degrees here this morning and I will find out how it does after sitting all night and is really cold what it sounds like.

I will update if and when I get more info.
    Thank you for the information in your post. I printed it and will be taking it with me to the dealership next week when I have my top looked at. Will you let us know how your top repair holds up? And also what type of lubricant GM recommends. Thanks so much! Christine
  • catkccatkc Member Posts: 10
    Ok here is a update to my earlier post today about the lubricant on the roof.

I had an opportunity to talk to the individual that worked on my convertible roof.

He recommended that I keep the rubber moldings lubricated. I will need to wash them with soap and water and let it dry.

Don't put the pure silicon spray on the molding near the glass (side windows).
    I will get into this later in the posting. He uses the Pure Silicon sprayed on a clean rag vs. the Dielectric Lubricant.

So the molding between the roof, around the seals of the trunk when it opens to take the roof into the trunk. The panels that fold in the back behind the back seat in the desk of the back window is another location. Also the top of the windshield where that molding use the silicon spray.

The part of the roof that has the rubber pin (don't know what else to call them) that fit in the top of the windshield. He recommended keeping them lubricated with petroleum jelly.

They used a product by Kent Automotive Super Slick Dry Lube which it says "Clean, non-staining, non-silicone, dry lubricant for use on plastics, rubber, vinyl, fabrics, and metal surfaces.' He said that he used this product on the stripping around windows otherwise if you use silicon product it gets on the glass and it is hard to get off the window.

They recommended that I do this to keep the squeaking under control. That if you live in an area that is out in the country where is really dusty, that I might need to clean and lubricate more often but depending on if the car is parked outside vs. garage. Part of the key is that you clean and make sure that the stripping is dry and then use the 3 different products depending on where the stripping is on the car. I probably could provide more details if needed. I hope that this helps. Let me know if this does not make sense.
  • billdamanbilldaman Member Posts: 37
    Hi, was wondering if you could post the labor code and description for the work that was performed. My Pontiac dealer is in a very small town and I dont think they have worked on a single G6 Convertible. I have been holding off letting them touch it for fear of them making the rattles worse. Thanks!
    Can you post the labor code and description of what the dealer did to fix from the repair record? Thanks!
    Can you post the labor code for the repair that they did to fix the rattle? Thanks!
    Oh my God that is horrible! I hope this works out for you.. Mine has rattled since the day I took delivery, especially the doors when the top is down and the top rattles when up, especially when very hot or very cold. Dont trust the small town dealer to dig into it without screwing it up!
    Hi, does the service order say what parts were replaced? Thanks!
    Hi, could you please post the labor code and description for the fix?/ Haave any rattles reemerged?

Thanks!