Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Dakota Problems. Please help!

puma14puma14 Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Dodge
I would like anyone's help regarding my problem.
Here's my problem: I own a 1999 Dodge Dakota CC
Sport 4x4 3.9 liter 6, and I have had problems with
my engine, steering column, and rear brakes. My
engine sounds like a diesel(they say pings), my
steering column pops when I turn it hard left or
right, and they recalled my truck to fix the rear
ABS. They updated the computer with a flash for
the engine and replaced the steering column after
the fourth time. There was only 5K miles on it
when I first brought it in for the problems, and it
has been in almost every other month. They want
me to bring it in so that they can fix it again,
but I am getting sick and tired of it! Any
suggestions, or help, would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks.

Sincerely,

James A. Balsdon II

Comments

• amoraamora Member Posts: 204
    see a Lawyer about a BUYBACK immediately...
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    business days, it automatically qualifies as a lemon. Your other option is to seek out another dealer if in your opinion this one lacks the technical expertise to solve your problem. No matter which path you take....document, document, document anything and everything cause you will need it should you pursue buyback. Good luck!!
  • puma14puma14 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your help everyone. I will let you know how things went.

Sincerely,

James A. Balsdon II
  • ghettoblasterghettoblaster Member Posts: 1
    So far I have had no problems for the past 2100 miles. I've been smokin' mustangs and suped-up hondas these past couple months. But I'm always reminded to take it easy when I have to keep filling my tank every three days. But I know what I got into so no complaints here. If any of you people out there have any news about R/T's...then let me know and I'll post anything I here about them, too. They're pretty darn good in the snow too if you ask me. At least i save gas!!!
  • amoraamora Member Posts: 204
    Does anyone know if the Towing capacity for the R/T 5.9 was resolved?
    I read in several articles that the towing was compromised due to
    suspension design. I would like to haul my Jayco to campsites is all plus have a tire burning hot rod truck...

Regards
  • cs18cs18 Member Posts: 10
    my sympathy to puma 14,and his truck...my truck av6 3.9 also sounds like a diesel...the dash was rattling but they fixed that...it only gets 15 miles a gallon...and the spark knock which is expected now a days,,is way excessive in this vehicle...i have wrote dodge a three page letter and will continue to hound the hell out of them until i get some satisfaction
  • nighthawk9nighthawk9 Member Posts: 1
    Steering gearbox groans badly,NOT p/s pump!Another dealer said they have replaced bad gearboxes due to mis-machined parts.Anyone else with troubles? Rear brakes squeal,whine when hot,dealer say's they see no problem.Yah..right! Told them to adjust the brakes!Truck has about 1700 miles on it.Has not been used for any hauling etc.Any help would be great!! Anyone know of t.s.b. sites? Nighthawk60@webtv.net
  • flapbreakerflapbreaker Member Posts: 1
    My truck had problems from the beginning. First when I turned the steering wheel there was a rubbing noise so they had to fix it. It still makes a slight pop noise as if the steering wheel is loose. the wiper motor went bad. The most annoying thing is this rattle sound that comes from the dash at first they said that it was pre egnition but super unleaded does not help then they updated the computer software and said that would fix it. They even took it for an test drive and said that there was no ping. But of coarse when I drive it home the same noise is still there. I guess we must be listening to different things because this is an obvious noise from the dash area. It's at it's worst at around 2,000 to 2,500 RPM's. Does the Tachometer have a cable that spins in a cable like the old seedometers? Any input would be nice.
  • greenogreeno Member Posts: 13
    Anybody else with 4-speed auto tranny with the 4.7L engine in their 2000 Dakota notice a "bouncy" shift from 2nd to 3rd gear? I've noticed this especially when the fluid is cold and/or going uphill. My truck has 8,000 miles on it and it's been doing this for a while. But it will also do it sometimes when it is fully warm? Let me know guys.
  • bookittybookitty Member Posts: 1,303
    Chris, there have been many postings on other forum topics (Dodge Quad Cab and Dodge Dakota Owners Club) regarding bumpy shifting on the multispeed 4.7 combination. Because there are 2 second gears, it tries to hunt and select one or the other (I have a 5 speed so I cannot comment). Try posting your question in the Owners Club and reach a much larger audience. I don't think that it is a problem, but could be an annoyance. Hope to see you there.

Bookitty
  • pinnaclecsipinnaclecsi Member Posts: 6
    I have a couple of probs on my 2001 Quad Cab. The dealer has seen it twice. The Service Manager's best response is that he, too, can feel and or hear the problems, but there is nothing he can do until D/C comes out with new software for the engine management system and the trannie. I want to write a letter to Dodge and/or D/C but I don't know where to write. HELP!
  • stnickstnick Member Posts: 177
    Greeno, I have a 00 QC 4.7L auto, 3.55 lsd. I know what you are referring to, and have a suggestion to try. From a start, If you accelerate slowly and feel the shifts, you should get a smooth 2-3 shift. Then, from a start again, this time give it a large amount of steady throttle, and again, it should be a positive 2-3 shift. Now, start again, and this time try to give it an amount of throttle BETWEEN the last to takeoffs and see if this produces the hunt type of 2-3 shift. I have experimented with mine as described above with those results. Dealer service suggested as bookitty, that at a certain amunt of steady thottle that the tranny will seem to hesitate or hunt for a second. Mine will do what I described above, every time, hot or cold. 8300 miles on it now. Hope this helps, Stnick.
  • penguin66penguin66 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Q/C with the 3.9l v6. The engine seems to be a little noisy after it reaches normal operating temperature. I want to say that it sounds like the lifters or rocker arms making a tapping noise. It does not make this noise when the motor is first started up. I've taken it in to get looked at but they say everything tests good. Anybody out there with a similar problem? Also is it a good idea to add oil additives such as Prolong to new engines?
  • greenogreeno Member Posts: 13
    I appreciate the help with the bumpy shift from 2nd to 3rd. I tried the advice and found that it does work. Under hard throttle or low throttle, it will not hunt for the gear. Medium throttle produces the bumpy shift. Thanks.
  • mhemenmhemen Member Posts: 1
    Anyone experience problems with your Dodge Dakota's paint. I knew better but took it through a carwash with brushes and now have swirl marks. I know, over time, that practice can cause that but it's only gone through one. The dealer has given me no hope. Any suggestions for the next step?
  • rdrunnerrdrunner Member Posts: 14
    Flapbreaker,

Newer vehicles do not have a spinning cable for the tach. In fact, the speedometer doesn't even have a cable. The speedo cables went away starting in the 1980s. For the most part, tachs haven't had cables since the early 1960s. The speedo gets an electronic trigger from a sensor on the output shaft of the tranny. The tach gets a similar trigger from the crank pick up via the EECM. Some vehicles with distributors and a single coil have the tach trigger taken from the coil itself.

Sorry to hear about your truck. It seems like there's a few gripes in here, but on a positive note, I have a 1995 Dakota Sport with a 318/auto and it has 128k miles on it. The miles have been trouble free too! I think I'm going to have to break down and put a radiator in it this spring (it's getting a little green around some fins). This will be the first replacement part it's had other than normal stuff like brake pads, oil changes, etc. In fact, it's still on it's second set of pads with the original rotors. I like this truck so much I plan to buy a Dakota R/T next year....if they're still making them.

The Dakotas have actually been pretty good trucks overall, but anyone can make a lemon..or two. If you have a lemon press hard through arbitration or an attorney who knows the lemon laws. My neighbor just got their vehicle replaced under the Michigan Lemon Law.

As for all of the stuff I see here on the 3.9 V6....well, I have to agree. I never have liked that engine. It wasn't very well thought out. It's not balanced well becasue it's really a 318 less two cylinders. It started out that way and with no counter balancer. It also does tend to make more noise becasue it isn't well balanced and I have heard of lifter problems with it. I suspect this might be coming from the fact that the oiling routes were changed somewhat from the 318 when they made the 3.9 (lifters might be bleeding down when the engine is off as well). What's even worse is that the 3.9 gets the same or worse mileage than the 318. Heck, it is sometimes worse than the 360 in the R/T! The only benefit to the 3.9 is that the insurance costs less than a V8 version. The new 4.7 V8 seems like a nice mill, but I have to admit I'm a little old fashioned. I actually like those pushrods and brute force torque that comes with the 360 and 318.

Anyway, keep up the good fight!
  • cadteachercadteacher Member Posts: 6
    I'm considering ordering a Dakota Quad Cab with the 4.7, LSD, and 5-SP Manual. I've heard a lot about problems with the auto tranny. Has anyone heard anything bad about the manual?
    Bryan, the five speed is a good solid manual shift transmission with no problems. The new multispeed automatic transmission is also very good, but there has been a learning curve to which owners had to adjust themselves. The only people who incur problems with all types of transmissions, are the "shiftless."

Bookitty
  • bobs5bobs5 Member Posts: 557
    Like bookitty, I have the 5 spd manual trans.
    See my profile for more details.
    Definately a nice smooth shifter.
    The throws are a bit long, but its a truck, not a sportscar.

The only "problem", is some people experience a slight clunking sound when shifting.
    It is heard when the clutch disengages / engages.
    Relatively minor sound and the service department people call it normal.

If I were to do it over again, it would be equipped with the 3.92 axle ratio.

Are you going with a 4x4? If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.
    Good Luck,
    Bob
  • wetwilliewetwillie Member Posts: 129
    I too have the 5-sp. tranny and have no problems (25K miles). It shifts great - smooth and fast (especially for a truck!)
  • tigercat2tigercat2 Member Posts: 1
    I anticipate buying a 4 x4 quad and cannot find a reply to the owner who had engine ping in his v8. Is this a common happening or is it an easily fixed one? Thanks for any help. tigercat2
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    (tigercat2)Which V8 are you referring to.... depending on the vehicle year there are 3 to choose from.

That said...Ping is generally not considerd a "problem". It is a phenomena that occours when an internal combustion engine is running at its most efficent fuel-mixture and ignition-timing especially under a heavy load on a hot day.

There are conditions when pinging is caused by carbon build-up in the combustion chambers or an out-of-tune state.... but this is not a "problem" with the engine design itself.

A related phenomena... pre-ignition can cause engine damage under some conditions.
  • chrydodjeep1chrydodjeep1 Member Posts: 13
    Yeah ! Congratulations Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth
    You did it, U Won ! Worldwide consumers have paid there hard earned money and you provided worldwide consumers with the worst Engineered vehicles on Earth...

Got to hand it to Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth you have Won beaten all your consumers.

Wise old saying you can't read a book by its cover :O)
    Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth great looking vehicle unfortunately for the unsuspecting consumer even to date Transmission failure, head gasket failure , too many more serious problems Etc...
    Just read this Newsgroup 2% Satisfied , 98% Unsatisfied . Surf the internet U will find 100s of thousands of Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth vehicle owners that are Big Losers. Telling there Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth vehicle Horror stories.

Now that Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth consumers have read the book by owning one of the worst Engineered vehicles on Earth. Consumers worldwide learned a costly but valuable lesson.

Now we have come to realize. Yes Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth they are the Winners.

Yep we the "Consumers of Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth vehicles are the BIG LOSERS" !

Were losing vehicle trade in, Value its Awful.
    Quality Automobile Dealers don't want your Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth vehicle offering 50% of Galves Trade in if in Mint Condition.
    Even Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth Dealers are offering 50% of Galves. Now we are driving around in a nearly worthless Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth vehicle and paying for Major repairs :O(
    Its not going to get any better cause Smart Consumers are not Buying a New or even thinking of buying a used Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth vehicle.

We sure learned a Valuable Lesson > Never again buy Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth vehicles. For those few Die Hards remember( Only a Fool Loses Twice )

Rejoice fellow Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth vehicle consumers now it is our turn to Win.

Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth your profits are gone, Stocks are dropping to an all time low Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth is just hanging on by a thread bankruptcy is near Hooray - Yeah !
    Now how does it feel to be a LOSER ! Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth :O)

Worldwide automotive consumers buy smart be a Winner don't become a Loser like the rest of us who owned or still own the worst engineered vehicles on Earth.
    Let Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth become the final Loser.
  • wetwilliewetwillie Member Posts: 129
    time to have your medication adjusted.
  • tequillakid1tequillakid1 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2001 Dakota Quad cab with the following features: 4X4, 3.9L, P265/70R16 OWL tires, manual tarns with 3.55 rear. I have two problems that the dealer can't figure out (of course). One is a loud whine (hum) coming from the rear when coasting a 40 MPH and at power at 60 MPH. When coasting at 40 I put the tarns in neutral and it still whines. I have also eliminated road conditions as a possibility. The other problem is a rattle in the right front side when going over a bump.

Does anyone have any ideas or run across this problem before?
  • bobcat12bobcat12 Member Posts: 1
    I have 3400 hi on mine and hearing the same whine and front end bump at times. Until now, I have not had any reason to go back to the dealer for anything, so it was not checked out. I am a mechanic and the whine sounds like the rear was not set up properly when asembled. I am a little disappointed in the 14 mpg, but even in 2wd. it is a tank in snow, better than the A.W.D. Explorer it replaced. if anyone finds a solution, please let me know.
  • 2nddak2nddak Member Posts: 44
    Jack, Your problems run deeper than the vehicle that you own!
  • ben221ben221 Member Posts: 8
    I bought a 2000 Dakota excab.V-6 3.9 and I agree with chrydodjeep. The best I get on an average winter day here in the great northeast is 13mpg. In this day and age there shouldnt be a V-6 engine on this planet that gets 13mpg highway. Dodge has fallen back into there old way of thinking from the 70's (what a shame). The thing that gets me the most is the lying the dealers have to do in order to sell this SCRAP IRON to the public Like posting EPA stickers on their trucks that estamate 18mpg average. There in know way on this earth that this truck could ever come close to that mileage and Dodge knows it. I've always try to buy American but now that the Germans have taken over the company I beleive the next truck I own is going to be a Chevy. Most of my friends drive full size Chevy excab w/ V-8 engines and all of them get between 16-21mpg highway. Lets face it folks,,,,,,the Germans have ripped us off.
    Ben, unfortunately you did not access the Pickup Forum prior to purchasing, but if you had, you would have been informed via postings that the 3.9 is at best a marginal engine for a truck the size and weight of a Dakota. In 1995 before purchasing my Dakota club cab, I test drove the the 3.9 and opted for the 5.2 V8 which got decent mileage as well as generating more than sufficient power. My 2000 Quad cab (4X4, 4.7, 3.55 and 5 speed) averages about 18.3 for mixed driving (no heavy traffic). Your mileage report seems excessively poor, and perhaps there is something in your particular vehicle that is malfunctioning to produce that type of MPG. There are various reasons for poor mileage ranging from driving habits to engine governing computer error. I along with many others am well satisfied with my Dodge Dakota, but I will not attempt to defend Dodge because I don't have to. Nor will I defend and/or agree with the ravings of chrydodjeep because they are totally indefensible and without any real documentation. If you haven't visited your service department regarding the problem, I suggest that you do so. If that offers no solution, ask to meet with the area representative. In any case, have written documentation of fuel consumed over mileage driven and brief notations as to type of driving, traffic situations, temperature, etc. I hope that you can get this resolved in a reasonable manner. Good luck.

Bookitty
  • namfflownamfflow Member Posts: 202
    I have a 97 club cab, 5.2 2 wheel drive. I now have 45000 miles on it with zero problems. In fact it has been so good I just ordered a 2nd one on Saturday.

What I can tell the folks that have problems is that it is most likely the dealer. One thing I have always hated about Chrysler was their dealer service. They expect you to find the problem and then they might fix it. I have a Stratus that I bought in 99 (that I am trading for the Dakota) that is hard to start when fuel is at 1/8 tank. I had the dealer look at it and they insist nothing is wrong (of course) I told them to pul the pickup and check the welds. They said I would have to pay because that isn't part of the warranty service say what? The idea is to fix the damn problem not make the customer solve it. BTW, the reason I wanted the pick up checked is because if a pin hole is in the tube by the pickup it can cause it not to want to pick up the fuel. Once it starts its okay. Point being, Chrysler needs to get a better dealer service organization together. I will bet that if the people here with the biggest problems had a better dealer they would actually be happy campers.
    Say what you want but there should be laws preventing auto makers from selling V-6 engines that only get 13mpg,,,,,,for enviromental reasons if nothing else. And as far as your arguement that its a heavy truck and small engine then why would Dodge dump such mismatched [non-permissible content removed] on the market to begin with???????? I own an Intreped and I'm very happy with it,,,,,,but Dodge should stay out of the truck business,,,,,,I knew the Ram series of trucks only get 10-12mpg,,,,,,but who would have thought that their small trucks would get the same??
    Ben,we recently discussed your problem. The Dodge Dakota with V8 gets MPG that compares favorably with other trucks given the same type drive line equipment. Next time you purchase a vehicle or any other major product I would suggest that you utilize the power of the Internet (which you obviously have at your fingertips) "prior" to purchasing. All of this information is and was available to assist in making an intelligent choice. The 3.9 engine is old technology, yet you chose to select it. "It is better to light one candle then to sit and curse the darkness."

Bookitty
    So Bookkitty,,,,your telling me that its ok the DaimlerChrysler feeds the consumer full of B.S. about what they should be able to expect to get for fuel mileage on there trucks????? Why would any truck maker give misleading information about there product line if they didnt know that this [non-permissible content removed] wouldnt sell if they told the truth???? I dont know about you Bookkitty but when I do business in good faith with another party I expect I we will both get what we bargained for. Should any consumer expect anything less????? Would Like to hear from others on this,,,And by the way,,,Do you get the mileage on your V-8 that Dodge projected?????? Like I said before Chevy has full size trucks that get as high as 21mpg highway. Why is Dodge trying so hard to be 3rd rate??? Tell me again that I'm the one thats wrong here.
    The ESTIMATED gas mileage figure of my truck is 14/19. 4.7L v8, manual tranny, 3.55 axle.
    By my calculations, the best so far is 16.5 mpg. Worst was 14 mpg. This is local driving. I have not been on a long trip yet so I don't know what all highway driving will produce.
    Only 2100 miles on the truck now, the mileage should get better as the enging breaks in.
    The window sticker states that actual gas mileage can vary +/- 3 mpg from the estimated figures.
    Bob
  • davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
    My full size Ram 1500 Quad 4x4 (5.2L) gets mileage pretty much in accordance with the window sticker. 12-13 combined around town driving (sticker says 13 city). I have also gotten as high as 18 on a slow easy trip along the Ohio River to Cincinnati (sticker says 18 highway). A major player on this trip was that I had to keep the truck around 55mph along Rt. 52. Too many speed traps. This kept the tranny from dropping out of OD and kept the RPM's low, hence the good mpg.

Bookitty's comments were geared more toward the knowledge arena. There is a wealth of information out there on every vehicle you can purchase. A little bit of research can go a long way. I would never purchase a vehicle without doing some background checks on maintenance histories, engine capabilities and mileage comparisons.
    Ben, I don't want to argue with you or attempt to change your opinion. I also cannot buy into the fact that all of the trucks made by Dodge miss so severely, the EPA estimates (accent on estimates). My particular truck (2000 Dakota Quad with 4X4, 4.7 V8, 5 speed 3.55 differential(s) delivers as much or more than the posted estimates and may be attributed to the following. Garage kept where the temperature never falls below 38 degrees, driving for the most part in cruise control on relatively flat highway @ 60 MPH. The use of an A.R.E. tonneau cover reduces somewhat the wind resistance. Selection of a drive train combination with sufficient power to keep lugging at a minimum. Good driving habits as related to acceleration and braking (anticipating traffic conditions to keep lower gears at a minimum). Perhaps as bobs5 mentioned, it is the formulation and or quality of the fuel, although the majority of my fuel is purchased in South NJ and some in Eastern PA. I continue to think that if your MPG is correctly calculated, that there is a problem with your particular vehicle. If you really think that Dodge is trying to rip off consumers, then I feel that you should pursue that issue with a consumer agency. I feel, as do others on this forum, that the Dakota is a good truck, and I am very satisfied by mine. I also can see your frustration with your truck's performance and feel that you should seek satisfaction. The tenure of my previous posts were not to anger and upset you Ben, but to imply the importance of researching "prior" to any major purchase decision to assess whether the product will suit your particular needs. Good luck, and I hope that you find a viable solution to your problem.

Bookitty
  • wilmar1wilmar1 Member Posts: 32
    Received a recall today to repair transmission filler tube. Anyone else?
  • mfd1700mfd1700 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Dakota Club Cab, 2 wd, 3.9L, 5 spd, & 3.55 axle. The only mod's I have made to the truck are a K & N Filter Injection Performance Kit, a Gibson 3" cat-back exhaust & some 16" rims & tires. Right now my pickup is getting around 16 to 18 combined city driving. The last time I took it out on the freeway (2 weeks ago) it got roughly 24 mpg. I drove approx. 242 miles round trip & it took right at 10 gallons to top the tank off. Not bad I thought. I have had a couple of problems with it though. The biggest problem I have had has been with the catalytic converter, I am on the third one. The first one went out 8 months after I got the pickup. It was replaced, then 9 months later that one went out. Now i am on the third one & it has been almost a year & still going stong. The only other major problem was when the left front wheel bearing went out at 18,000 miles. Other than that there has been nothing else major wrong with it.
  • stnickstnick Member Posts: 177
    Okay Ben, you made a point about your mileage being poor and I understand that, however, I don't feel you're blaming the proper people. As I understand, the EPA is the entity that tests and posts the information on manufacturer's mileage stickers. Dodge, GM, Ford, etc., are not the people that are responsible for the testing of the vehicles. My Quad Cab 4.7L, auto., 4X4, sticker lists 14 in city and 19 highway. I have experienced 19 on the highway twice with 2000 miles on vehicle at that time. In the worst winter this year, it has not dropped below 13.5 MPG. I feel it has been well represented. My previous truck '95 Ranger V-6, rated 16 city and 21 highway, also performed at or above sticker, most of the time. I have friends with Fords and Chevys and they too seem to be near sticker rating on mileage. I feel your vehicle has a problem specific to that vehicle. Take it in and have it checked. Good Luck, Nick.
  • niddersbachniddersbach Member Posts: 7
    Listen to the words of bookitty he is wise beyond his years . . .
    Gerry, that might be possible, if there were not that many years to be wise beyond. Unfortunately, to be wise beyond my number of years requires surpassing the rank of "genius." But thank you for the very kind compliment.

Bookitty
  • erikheikererikheiker Member Posts: 230
    1991 Dakota, 318, Check Engine Light has been on for last 10k miles. Totals miles are 135k. Is there a way to reset the light? What are the most common reasons at this age for the light to come on? Truck recently failed emissions test soley because the light wouldn't go out. They look for it to light up at engine start so unplugging, although the obvious solution, isn't an option. Thanks for any input.

Erik
    It may be advisable to have the computer scanned for any error codes in the computer.

Your truck may be equipped with a code retrieval routine which is initiated by the ignition switch routine:

http://allpar.com/fix/codes.html

http://www.batauto.com/Chrysler.html

Good luck
  • erikheikererikheiker Member Posts: 230
    Thanks for the info. Only other question I have concerns multiple codes. If there is more than one problem, will more than one code appear? Are they prioritized? Thanks again.

Erik
    Erik,
    If there is more than one problem, there can be more than one code displayed.
    They are usually displayed in numerical sequence and not by priority.
    Hope this helps,
    Bob
    You guys are right,,,,In this day and age with all the enginering advances in the auto industry the average consumer can fully expect to get 30mpg with the average car on the market today. Where was my head when I was complaining about 13mpg highway driving that my little 4000 lbs. 4X4 Dakota gets on an average winter day here in the northern states. I mean with DaimlerChrysler working on fuel cells for the next generation of cars to be made, how could I have ever expected to get any better mileage than that with my Little V-6 combustion engine????????? Dodge assures me that this technologacally advanced truck is running just the way it is supposed too. Why would I have expected to do any better than that?????
    13 mpg using a small engine in a 4X4 is not bad mileage. You have a truck, full time 4 wheel drive, low gears, high wind resistance and you bought an engine too small for your needs. If you had the 5.2 or 4.7 you would find that gas mileage would be better.

Sorry but we can't help someone who did not do their homework before buying a truck. Maybe you would be happier trading it in on a Geo Metro?

BTW, Do you really think anyone with a 4X4 is getting great mileage? If anyone tells you they get 20 mpg with a 4X4 they are lying through their teeth.

One of the reasons I won't buy a 4X4 is because the gas mileage is so poor and because of that I cannot justify the extra costs for as little as I would need the 4 wheel drive.
  • haynes3haynes3 Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys,
    Great site. I need a truck that can tow 6000 lbs and I'm looking at the Dakota and the Ford Supercrew.. I would love to drive away in a new Supercrew but it is about 3500 more dollars than the Dakota. Does anyone have any towing experience with their Dakotas. Should I be worried about towing 6000 lbs with the Dakota? Piece of cake for the Supercrew but I have my doubts about the Dodge. Help me out. Are any of you having any tranny problems that I should be aware of? Thanks for your input in advance.

Dave
    If you go with a Dakota, in order to tow that load go with a V8 with the 3.92 axle.
    If you go with the Dakota, like the previous post says use the 3.92 gears and the V8. Use the 4.7 V8 and DO NOT go with the RT. Many people make that mistake because it has a bigger engine. The RT is setup for hot rod type performance and NOT towing. I would also add the LSD rear end.
This discussion has been closed.