Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac G6 Hardtop Convertible

Comments

• beachlifebeachlife Member Posts: 11
    It is probably just me, but I have trouble using that word in the same sentence as Volvo. I just felt like the G6 hardtop should be a little bit more fun to drive than the C70. I do agree roll bars and trunk or other storage space are nice to have and worth more, but do I like the car enough to pay another 10 grand? It probably just has something to do with an old 69 Lemans convertible I once had. I always thought Turbos were an added maint expense. Is this still the case? I really liked a Honda Del Sol I had. Great trunk space and fun to drive but when my daughter totaled it (No injures) I did not care for the S2000. I sort of think fun cars should either be really really expensive or really really inexpensive and it is nice to be in this country and have all of these choices. Just my opinion.
  • bobinnjbobinnj Member Posts: 22
    Yes - for $10-15K more, I'd expect the C70 to be a lot more car than the G6. Unfortunately, after test driving a new C70 at the dealer last week, I wasn't that impressed. The 5 cyl. turbo didn't seem to be all that powerful off the line and the suspension was tight, giving a bumpy ride on the lousy roads around here (it's basically an S40 with the foldable hard top). I was surprised it only had tilt steering wheel without telescope - at that price point, I'd expect power tilt/telescope. As far as trunk space in C70 - the salesman opened it up with the top stored and there ain't a whole lot of space in there either (maybe a golf bag or a couple small suitcases, carry ons. This is NOT a large coupe (basically an S40 with a foldable hard top). You can put more in trunk with top closed, but then you can't open the top. Granted - Volvo puts a lot of $$ factor in their safety equipment, but if I'm going to pay that much more over the G6, I'd want a bit more in the power and ride dept (read "fun factor"). Turbos definitely used to be more expensive to maintain, requiring more frequent oil changes (every 1500 mi), higher repair bills, etc. (remember going thru that when I was thinking about buying a 300ZX Turbo back in the 80's). I don't think this is still the case, but if I had to choose a turbo or supercharger over N.A., I'd go with the N.A. engine, to keep repair costs down. What I do know is that Volvos, as with most foreign cars, can be very expensive to repair, and their reliability is not their strong suit (as relayed to me by several Volvo owners over the years). Pontiacs aren't known for their reliability either, but I can get a Pontiac fixed a lot cheaper and faster than a Volvo. If the G6 provides a decent ride, interior room/comfort and off the line power, it is worth the price. For a lot of convertible buyers including me, It's going to be mostly a weekend/cruising car so the issues of trunk space, rear seat convenience, etc.,are not big factors for me. (I was disappointed in lack of OnStar though. Surprised they couldn't figure out how to wire that thing in but maybe the top had something to do with it. Oh well - at least it offers Satellite radio.
  • martymartmartymart Member Posts: 23
    We have sold the first G6 convertible that came in... It did sell at GMS, no markup at our dealership. It did look sharp with the black on black. The top took a couple minutes to figure out because of the pull-shade that must be locked in place inside the trunk. First impression is good.
  • alp8alp8 Member Posts: 656
    I definiteluy plan to cross-shop the G6 and the C70. I doubt that G6 will have any real "driving" advantages over the Volvo. It's funny to hear people talk about issues such as this, while they are also complaining about gas prices. There is no reason anyone needs a sub-7-second 0-60 time. But I dont' begrudge that to anyone. But I don't feel like hearing that same guy complain about gas prices. I guarantee you that guy isn't driving 60 mph on the freeway.

I have nothing againt Pontiac, and I would really like to buy American. I am not one of these guys who is anti-GM. GM and the UAW have helped build the middle class in the U.S. and I will reward them for that if the product is right.

I did read that the Pontiac roof (Karmann) was not passing the 10,000 openings test, but I have not read anything about that lately. Wondering what the news is.

I think stability control is more valuable of a safety feature than roll bars. You get more in the Volvo. The question is do you want those items. If not, the Pontiac sill probably be a great car. And hopefully none of us ever gets to experience that "satisfied" feeling that comes after an incident so you can realize that the stability control was a good purchase, if you get my drift.
  • shirleybbshirleybb Member Posts: 3
    Hi, saw the new G6 GT at a dealer last week. Had a $31,100 sticker price but dealer was asking $42,000 - a $10,000 market adjustment for this car! Went to another dealer - they had sold the G6 GTP convertible they had in 15 minutes - had a sticker of $31,500 sold it for $38,000. He also told me they were only alloted 5 G6 convertibles for all of 2006 and 2007 and the one was already gone. This car is definitely not worth $40,000. I'd suggest waiting to see the Volvo or Volkswagon.
    $42,000

silly
    Can't blame the dealer for wanting to get all they can, but I'm certain the price won't stay up. Too many alternatives. Hard top is nice, but hey I can get a Lexus or Mercedes or Volvo or VW or whatever. Got a call last Friday, the dealer had received an invoice on the G6-GTP Convt I ordered so I guess we'll find out for sure in a couple more weeks. Not a new car, but a two year old Lexus SC430 is a very nice car and they are fairly easy to find. I'm not after the G6 as a primary auto, just liked the hardtop concept. If it wasn't for the hard top, why wouldn't I go for a loaded Mustang in the low Pontiac price range. I'm sorry but you can buy 6cy G6's in the low low 20's. I guess I'm just too practical
    if the convertible is a "third-car" - ie not the car you commute in - then why buy a 4-seater? and why not buy that slightly-loved sc430 or even a Boxster or Z3?

the G6 is OK at 25 or so, but much more than that is just silly

maybe people think they will be collectibles

those people should stick to happy meals
  • y2chucky2chuck Member Posts: 1
    just came back from test driving a GT convertible. I was really impressed with it.

The model I tested was black on black leather, sport package, XM, upgraded alloy's.

It feels like a heavy car, but has a great road feel and is really quiet on the highway with the top up. It's really solid with the top down as well and the seats are great. It's going for 39K CDN which is a bit more than I want to spend, but it's a gorgeous car and I liked it much more than the Mustang.
    The G6 will be a third car, just we like to take the dog along sometimes. (Mini schnauzer does not know she is a dog.) The back seat also makes up for lack of trunk space in most two seater's. I also like the hard top concept because it should provide for a quieter ride when the top is up. OK, so tell me, if I drive off the lot in May in an 06 won't I have a year old car in August? I usually buy cars at the end of the calender year or the end of the model year because I find more flexibility in dealer prices. I feel good if the car has kept half or more of it's purchase price at the end of three years. Can you imagine an 2006-G6 being worth 20-24,000 in 2009? GM did a lot of research to price this car. I think they are right on and after the initial frenzies that is where they will be. The car did get me to visit their show room. I have not in a long time. Now we will find out if the dealer ever wants me to come back. We have two cars, I buy a car about every 2 or 3 years and of course friends and family always ask for recommendations.
  • burghburgh Member Posts: 17
    Have you seen the C70? I would recommend for you to take a look at it before pulling the trigger on the G6.
    I did go test the C-70 a couple of weeks ago. You can order now for an 07. I did like the trunk room. Basically where a spare tire well used to be is a good trunk extension down. The top operated smoothly. The only thing you do is run engine, step on brake and hold button down. You don't unlatch anything. The trunk opened normally top up or down, but you had more room and you could get to more space under the top that was accessable only when the top was up. It only had 150 miles on it. It is a good competing car for the G6, but I have not driven the G6 yet. It was not as peppy as the G6 coup, but then the G6 convertible may not be either. The five cylinder engine with turbo might mean more maint expense. I don't see a $10,000 difference in the two cars at this point so I will stay with the G6 at a normal price. Assuming a normal price can be had.
  • beachbaby65beachbaby65 Member Posts: 5
    I will start by saying that the price is right, even if you have to pay over list for the car. I have been involved with the car business for 22 years and I have yet to be excited over the purchase of any car. I ordered this car at the dealership my husband works for in Feb. It finally arrived the other day 3 mos later. LOVE IT!!! The ride is solid so that you are not tossed all over the highway at traveling speed . I have driven several convertibles and by far this is the best I have ever been in. The hardtop eliminates the wind noise and the flexing that you get with a softtop. Mine is Granite Metallic with Black Interior. One of my favorite options is the adjustible pedals, I am 5'0. I originally went to purchase the Solstice, also a beauty of a car. Sadly, I could not see over the steering wheel, it is truly a sports car complete with manual roof which is very heavy. G6 it is a simple as the touch of a button and the roof goes down.

In response to the person talking about Karmon not passing the roofs # of openings. That was true, during the early stages of production from concept car to reality they were having difficulties and were considering not making the car. However, after some retooling they were able to make the necessary corrections and proceeded to manufacturer this vehicle.

The dealers won't be seeing many of these cars at first because they take considerably longer to build, they must be sent to Karmon after they are built to have the roof cut and made into a convertible. So, with regard to price I am sure all of you have had at least one lesson in supply and demand. Right now if you want it you have to pay. If you pass, you don't know what you are missing. The C70 convertible is also priced in the mid 40's not mid 30's. There is little competition for this vehicle.
    Got mine on Saturday LOVE IT!!!!!
    wood trim is available on all models! free of charge
    These last two messages bring up a couple of questions. I have not seen the Con GTP I orderd yet, but I was told the adjustable pedals were not available in the conv model. Also, the wood trim was listed as an option but not available for order. Things change so are these new and just not communicated? Perhaps waiting for an 07 might be a good idea. Still waiting.
    Most people looking at this vehicle are not players for a $67,000 Lexus or and the cheapest Mercedes convertible is $54,000 not to mention the Volvo is $45,000. That is hardly a comparision. This car is at a good price point for what it has to offer!!!
    I have both the adjustable pedals and the wood trim.
    I think you'd be surprised. I'm looking at the G6, as well as the C70...as well as used Lexus SC 430s, and Saabs and Boxsters and Audis.

But I agree that the target audience is more along the lines of the Mustang and Sebring convertible.

I don't expect it to drive like a Boxster. Each car has its merits. Ultimately, we all need to figure out what we want to pay for.
  • bxdbxd Member Posts: 186
    "G6 Hardtop negatives in comparison with the C70:
    - Trunk has no space (will not even open) when the roof is down."

Just wanted to clarify.

The trunk DOES open with the roof down. I saw it at the auto show in this position. In this position there is only 1.8 cu ft of storage. That means you can fit a few garment bags flat. Access is indeed tight with roof down to storage, it looks like you can slip things in and out of that area by pulling them out rearward.

Also BOTH cars have stability control (standard on GTP).

No doubt the C70 is nicer but, $10k+ nicer??? Well, only the buyer can decide that.
  • stevensorianostevensoriano Member Posts: 40
    No I am without that "third car." and I am thinking about what to replace it with.

The SC was lovely, but I never used all of its potential, and I am not sure it is worth the premium over a cheap convertible.

So far the Sky Redline and the G6 GTP (or '07 GT with the whoopie package) have caught my eye. One is for solitary escapes, and the other allows me to bring 66% of my kids with me on a jaunt.

Does anyone make a 5 seat convertible so I can bring the whole brood?
  • rtod1rtod1 Member Posts: 1
    Just saw the G6 Convertible at the dealership this weekend. I had read about the top problems earlier and asked the sales guy to raise the top then lower it. There were several people standing around...well....the top raised very shakey....droppped very very slowly into position, and refused to latch. After several attempts there it sat...trunk lid open, the top partially down...and absolutly undrivable. I really wanted to like it...it looks really good. But that top is trouble waiting to happen. I think GM is going to see a LOT of these brought back in on a flatbed with the top stuck! Honestly, I think theymight have done well to have a top similiar to the BMW 3 series convertibles. It might be soft...but it is high quality, has a hard cover when stowed...and works...well! But then again, it costs a large amount more. Still....you really wanted one of these Pontiacs to do well. It might be a collectors item, because I am betting it will be quietly dropped from the product line or changed over to a soft top.
    I'm still waiting on delivery. The second week of june will be 60 days. Ihe dealer said they received an invoice 3 weeks ago. Anyway, the one I looked at two weeks ago is still on the lot with an ADM of +$2,000. I found another close in dealer that had what I wanted (GTP Loaded) in a color I did not want {Black verses Silver) that would meet my price, but this is Florida and I just can't do black. Price was MSRP minus $1,000. So, I'm still waiting. It is nice to know the original dealer has not sold his marked up unit. Anyone else seen any problems?
  • aaamorrisaaamorris Member Posts: 21
    I went to local dealer this afternoon, and they had 4 with no mark-up (OK, they had $3000 added rims, so there is some mark up hidden in there). Sounds like I might have missed my chance.

REALLY liked the look of the car, both with top up and down. I like convertibles, but I hate the look of a ragtop when the top is up.

OK, here is my entry into the most obscure question contest, but you may be able to answer since you own the car. I have XM in all my cars and won't have a car without it. I was very glad to see it comes with the car. But when I turned on the XM, the song information did not display. I assumed it was probably just a setting that could be turned on, but the salesman could not find a way. That would really annoy me. Does the song info display?
  • beth70beth70 Member Posts: 6
    To display the XM radio info you just press in the knob on your right of the radio. It's the knob used to change stations. It says disp / adj on the button.

I've had the car for 3 weeks and my top quit working yesterday. I went to show some of my friends how the top works and it won't go down.

Anybody else who's had problems with their top? Did you get the problem resolved easily? I haven't called the dealer yet. That was one thing that worried me when I bought the car since this is the first year out. Also when I saw all the wires and electronics in the trunk my first thought was there was a lot that could go wrong here.
    :cry:
    YIKES! Please let us know what the top malfunction was.
    I am not yet familiar with the top operating system but;
    Was the the car motor running? Did you check the trunk baggage cover switch, it can get dislodged? At the dealers one of the salesman had to go get someone to show him how to operate the top and the first thing he did was open the trunk and move the baggage cover. Safety feature so you can't operate with to much stuff in the trunk. Please let us know what solved your problem.
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    I'm interested as well in what dealer finds. There are quite a few sensors and switches that monitor various components of the top and dealer can use a scan tool to make sure sensors are sending out the correct information to control module. I really doubt you would be able to figure it out yourself unless you are getting a driver info center message that is telling you problem - like the one that says "check cargo top" if you don't have it in place.

One thing I would suggest is when possible only cycle the top with the engine running. That top does have a large electrical motor for the hydraulics and running it a lot with engine off will discharge your battery.
    Yeah, I'll be sure to let you know what they find. Thanks for your comments. I always have the car running when I put the top down, and I did check the cargo top switch in the back and it looked like it was making contact okay. Also made sure it was on a level surface and both the sun visors were down, as it says in the book. AFter I tried it several times I did get a message that said TOP OVER TEMP (means the pump is overheating). So at that point I quit. I did notice over the past couple of weeks, that it had changed in the way it was going down. When I first got it, I only had to push and hold the switch down once and the windows and the top went down. Then it started where when I held the switch down the windows would go down and then nothing, so then when I released it and pushed it again then the top would go down. I really hope this is some minor thing....Taking it to dealer on Tuesday
    Likely your issue isn't cargo cover since you would have seen a driver info center message on it.

I know the switch for the top operation is in kind of an awkward place and you certainly have to press it FIRMLY! Did you notice (when the top was working) if you continue to hold button after "TOP COMPLETE" (or whatever it says) message pops up that all the windows will roll back up for you. You have to keep your finger on the switch however.

If your finger slips off slightly you typically get a 3 bong chime reminding you that the top is "not secure" because you are in middle of raising or lowering it.

I think the controller keeps some track on how much it has been cycled and will display TOP OVER TEMP if too many operations in certain amount of time. I don't think it really has a temperature sensor, it just estimates. I think you can also get a "TOP TOO COLD" message if it is REALLY, REALLY cold out and you try to operate top. That is based on ambient temperature sensor which is also displayed in Driver Info Center.
  • aaamorrisaaamorris Member Posts: 21
    Thanks for the clarification.

I don't understand the comparison's to the C70 (other than that they both have hardtops). The C70 is ugly with a capital UG. Might as well buy a Sebring if style is not an issue.
    OK, so what happened? Please don't tell us it is still in the shop. I am expecting delivery any day now. Dealership called last Fri and said car was in transit. Each of the three dealerships in the area now have GTP's on their lots so I'm hopeful the price might work out.
  • jpavlickjpavlick Member Posts: 12
    I have had my G6 for a month already and love it. Im 6-4 and fit in it very well. No problem with the top at all. I live in Chicago so the hard top will be great with the snow. For the money this car is great and looks great. I have and all Black one.
    A couple "professional" reviews have commented that the hardtop can squeak/creak when the top is up. Like when driving down a rough road, or when the chassis flexes by pulling into an inclined driveway or driving over a speed bump. Anyone seen/heard this? Thanks.
    Not a one. I am a Realtor and this is my only car... I also drive to a part time job bout 35 miles away. The top seals tight and never have had a problem. I think the pro's dont want people to love this car because of the low price. This car look great most of the comments have been from males all liking the looks of the car. Looks like a lexus sort of from behind been told by 2 different people. Go buy one.
    Well, I took it in on Tuesday the 6th, got the car back the next day and by Friday the 9th the top was not working again, doing the same thing as before. I had only had it up and down maybe twice, and I could tell right away that it didn't seem to be working right. I had to push the button multiple times to try and get it to go up or down, open and close the trunk, and eventually it would function. But then on Friday I could not get it to work at all. It is now back at the dealer again, took it in Tuesday night. Just received a call today that they are waiting for parts from GM for a sensor I beleive (when I took it in before, they just adjusted some codes that had shown up but did not replace any parts). Maybe I'll have it by Friday.
    Yes, I have experienced this with my car. Unless I'm driving on a very smooth surface the roof is creaky. And let me tell you, there's not too many smooth driving roads around the Chicago area. I'm thinking it may be attributable to the other problems with the roof. Perhaps it is not closing completely.
    Thanks to both of you.

Beth - I know this might be hard to distinguish, but:

Are you hearing more of a rubber-on-rubber squeak, like wet tennis shoes on a tile floor(which might be cured by applying some silicon spray to the seals)-
    OR
    does it sound more like a metallic creak, like when you sit in an old aluminum folding lawn chair, or an old mattress (which would be a design problem)?

Just trying to gauge how serious this squeaking/creaking is.

Next time you take it to the dealer, I would tell them about the noises you hear.
    It is more like a rubber on rubber squeak.
  • steph9steph9 Member Posts: 1
    Ordered a G6 GTP in February... Still waiting for it to be made and delivered. From reading some of these postings, looks like they are not going to produce the GTP???? Called Pontiac customer service last week to check status of order and was told that order is there but no production date yet. Also told that my car would be produced and released as an '07. Are they not telling me something or am I misunderstanding these postings?

In the meantime, my dealer called and said that they have a GT that just came in (not the color that I ordered) and I could take that one if I wanted. Should I take it (if I like the color when I see it) or hold out to get the one I ordered? (assuming they are going to make it) Been waiting a long time!
  • scarsscars Member Posts: 1
    I just walked into a dealership in Long Island yesterday and bought a silver GTP right off the lot. There was also 2 gray ones and two white ones available. I think the gmbuypower website also stated that there was a crimson red available but I didnt see that one. Hopefully the top will work when I go to pick up the car next week. I decided to lease the car instead of buy it just in case the top gives me problems down the road. I then can just give the car back after 39 months, which is right after the warranty will expire.
    Dealer called and the car I ordered had arrived. I went over to the dealer yesterday. Silver with the dark interior looked very good. Included The Premium value package with side impact air bags and remote start, 18 inch chrome wheels, leather seats with GTP inserts and no wood trim. MSRP $32090. Test drive was nice and the top demode fine. They wanted $35,000 with some ADM and minor stuff like paint sealant added. I offered what I felt was invoice ($31056) plus $500 plus $300 for service set up. No trade. Had my check book out and gave them my drivers license. The salesman checked with his manager and came back and said they were not going to discount their cars. I said ok, I was not interested, thanked him for his time, and picked up to leave. I started out the door, and I realized I had forgotten my drivers license and refundable order deposit. I went back in and retrieved my drivers license, but neither the salesman, nor his manager could locate my deposit check or any record of it. I had left my receipt at home. Every one was very nice and they assured me they did not think the check had been cashed and had probably been destroyed. It was a perfectly good personal check that I assumed they would cash or I would not have written it. The manager said they could sell the car for $33,000. I said I would wait till the prices declined and left a little dicusted about the loss of the deposit check by a sales manager that was no longer with the company. Someone called later in the day and ask if I could return to the dealer-ship because they thought they could do a little better on the price and they thought my assumption on the invoice was way too low. I said ok and made an apt. for this morning. This morning I called the dealership to tell them I had changed my mind. The sasman was in a meeting so I left a message to that effect with his manager.
    A couple of hours late The sasman calls and ask what time I was goin to stop by. I told him I had called, who I had called, when I had called. He ask me if My offer was still on the table. I said no.

I am sorry fo the long post. Thougt some of you folks might like to know what happened.
    You should go to another dealer. I went to 4 to get the best price... The GTP has a lil bigger engine and 2 tone seats (solid blk look 100% better. THe gt is a few dollars less and I think just as peppey and the seats look better all 1 color.
  • biancarbiancar Member Posts: 965
    When did you write your check? You should find out from your bank if it has been cashed. If not you can put a "stop payment" on it; usually that will cost you maybe $15 - $25 or so.
  • curiousfcuriousf Member Posts: 2
    I just recently purchased a Black on black gt6 convertible ..so far I LOVE IT have had Numerous Compliments on this car I was driving an 03 Jeep Wrangler........Shew what a differance....Does any one know how many 06 gt convertibles were made ...Just curious because I haven't seen anymore in my area...Was extremely hard to get this car...they have been selling as fast as dealerships get them.....
    Does anyone know if there is a way to get the outside temp to always show or do I have to hit the radio knob to get to that mode each time???
    THANKS
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    Saw a GTP convertable yesterday. GF said it looked very futuristic. If the top works then this should be a hellova' car, especially when the 3.6 with 6 speed becomes availiable. If i was in the market i might have considerred a GTP the way it is. I think in the future the base enine will be a 3.9 with VVT and DOD and make about 230hp. It should get the GT's milege.

I dunno anymore, i used to think the coupe was my favorite... The coupe is the most graceful IMO, but i could not see the cars back to back.

I don't think anyone buying these cars should be disappointed, unless they break of course. It looks good and I hope pontiac keeps the equity it now has in the G6 name.
  • artrvlrnartrvlrn Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone had a problem with the back dash not sinking underneath the trunk lid? I had my car for less than 24 hrs, when I had to take it back, has been in shop for over a week now, and maybe I'll get it back by the end of this week. I think they told me they have to replace 10 different parts due to one bent frame arm. I was wondering if this is going to be a problem with all of the cars. I got a black GTP, love it other than that. Everyone that I met, while I had it, wanted to know what kind of car it was. I can't wait to get it back.
    It is in your owner's manual. Just press and release the DISP button (right knob) until you see the display you want as default. Then press and hold the button until you hear a beep. That changes your default display.
    Thank you.....
  • sheitmansheitman Member Posts: 1
    I just traded in my S2000 for the G6 GTP convertible. Two months ago, I mentioned to a friend that I would never, ever own a Pontiac. Never. Well, here I am today, a Pontiac owner. For the exception of a few issues all is going well and each day I love this car more. My two kids even fit in the backseat with more than enough room. Although I do miss my Honda, I am enjoying the quiet ride and overall comfort of this great looking, functional car.

There has been mention of a creaky top. I experienced this on my test drive, and after mentioning it to my salesman, the service department lubricated the rubber seals. There hasn't been a hint of a sound since.