Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Nitro

13»

Comments

• barbara22barbara22 Member Posts: 8
    Yes, I have had problems from day 1 with my Nitro.......even in 4-wheel drive....
    I have only used the 4 wheel drive one time and it drove about 10 miles and then shuddered so bad I had to stop and try to pull out again and finally put it back into 2 wheel drive to go on my way.......in 10 inches of snow!!! Of course the dealer found no problem with it.............if I slow down going up a hill there is a transmission shudder and vibration of the whole car.......this is a continuing problem everytime I drive the vehicle.

I have also had problems with the dash lights coming on while driving at 55-60 miles an hour, and the radio cuts off when this happens. It only lasts about 10 seconds and then the lights go off.....as of yet I have not lost power during these episodes........the dealer finds no problems to repair for this either....suggests the car is "possessed".
  • raysheilaraysheila Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me if a standard transmission Nitro can be towed behind a motor home on all four wheels if in Neutral
  • teqtonyteqtony Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 nitro, slt. 3.7 with tow package. Has anyone tryed to tow a tandom axle 12' trailer (2500 lbs) with another 2500 lbs contints for a total of 5000lbs. Would love to hear some towing news
  • joysnitrojoysnitro Member Posts: 1
    hello Barabra
    I am having a lot problems with the vibration in the engine at a steady speed
    40-45. there is a definate problem with the Nitro 3.7 and Chrysler is not on top of it.
    At one point they told me there was not fix

Here is what they have done

4/18 Torch Converter replaced. did not work
    Reprogrammed power train

4/18 Gas additive - Did not work 4/18

5/3 tansmission Friction Modifier 5/3 - Did not work

5/9 Cylinoid pack for Torch Converter which Made it worst, Darin said the factory thinks its a bad Torch converter and is shipping another one.

5/12 Picked up from Dodge and was told to pursue the Lemon Law on this car 5/12. Was told Their is a problem and the factory has no fix for it. ( see purchase order included)

5/15 sent certified letter to diamler defect notification.

5/27 factory called and wanted to attempt more repairs they have representative in town. I was told that, that did not work but they want to keep another day to work which is today)
    5/28 Chrysler factory technician came in to work ont the car.
    this is what he did
    Applied TSB 02-005-07 - No change (Chrysler tech words)
    Adjust front and rear suspension -- no changes
    Shimmed transmission crossmember 1/2” to change angle - a little better
    Shimmed it another 1/2” - no better (Chrysler tech words)
    Shimmed it another 3/8” (Chrysler tech words)
    Swapped out drive shaft for a stock unit - no change (Chrysler tech words)
    Repositioned rear support links to adjust pinon angle - a little better (Chrysler tech words)
    Replaced crankshaft damper - good (Chrysler tech words)
    The dealer ship said I could pick the car up and that it was 90% better.
    I drove it and Instead of vibrating at 40-45mph it does it 44-46 mph

I am getting everything together an contacting an attorney.

:sick:
    Well, since my last entry the ESP/BAS warning light came on and stayed on. I returned to the dealer one more time and they found an error code and had to "flash the computer" ONE MORE TIME........... My dealer does not seem to want to go any further with trying to diagnose these problems. I did contact Chrysler-Dodge by phone this past Friday.....was told by the first person that they felt it would qualify for the "lemon law" or a by-back......but of course when I was transferred to upper management I was told to contact them "first" when something else happened and they would contact my dealer and request documentation and have the repair done............so I guess I am waiting for something else to blink, alarm or whatever.........I still continue to have the bad vibration between 40-45 miles an hour....with no one wanting to check it out.......I am very much considering contacting an attorney also........
  • petergibbonspetergibbons Member Posts: 3
    I have not towed a tandom axle, but did tow a two place enclosed snowmobile trailer at about 2000#'s. It did surprisingly well. Towed it 800+ miles and had no problems and did most of it in 4 wheel drive. I do not have the tow package but added the mopar hitch. It is a 3.7 SXT.
    The only major complaint was it has very uncomfortable seats for a person my size at 6'2" 260. It has very little thigh support.
  • petergibbonspetergibbons Member Posts: 3
    I also had that "shudder" when driving about 40mph. Other people people in the car do not notice it but I find it very annoying. I will probably just live with it until the lease is up.
    I leased the vehicle because of the cheap price,convianant dealer, tow capasity and it made by a american company. If i was buying and not leasing I would not have gotten this vehicle because of the poor comfort, ride quality, and resale. Have had a number of Duangos, Rams, and a Liberty in the past, really liked them (except MPG).
    I test drove most all the small SUV's last year and have to say the Honda CRV was my favorite.
  • caliberchiccaliberchic Member Posts: 402
    A flash typically fixes that shudder. I had it too and had it flashed and it resolved the issue.
    Well, the dealer flashed my Nitro computer to try and correct the "shudder".NOT!!!!
    Just waiting for something else to happen!!
  • gobuffs00gobuffs00 Member Posts: 3
    The torque convertor is the cause of your shudder. The flash is to be done after the torque convertor in the transmsission is replaced. I am a dodge, chrysler, jeep tech so feel free to ask any other questions.
    torque convertor replacement and a reflash of the pcm. Unfortunatley there have been a few cases where the torque convertor has to be replaced several times to get one that is good.
    I am a dodge tech and sometimes it takes more than one torque convertor replacement to fix the shudder problem. Our parts suppliers are not producing quality parts at this time. The flashing lights sounds like a problem in the instrument cluster which in itself is a module or in the front control module. any other questions I would be happy to help out with
  • stangluver67stangluver67 Member Posts: 1
    ok. i hope to own one of the 2007 dodge nitro 4dr suv 4wd soon and if anyone owns one please post a message and tell me what you think of it. thanx :)
    Thanks so much for your input on this situation. I have printed your responses and will be taking the copy to the dealership............hopefully they will listen to me and at least try replacing the torque converter...........will let you know!!
  • 2fresh2fresh Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Nitro SLT. It has shut off on me several times, even on the highway going 65 plus. There was a recall on the truck, I took it last year 08/07 to have the recall performed. The NITRO shut off on me again a few days ago, it is in the shop again. I really fear for my safety. Finally, the repair shop calls me and tells me I need a Flashupdate to my TIPM & PCM and are asking that I pay a 100 dect. for this. Are they serious? I said this is the same reason why it was in the shop last year and you are making me pay for something that was never fixed. What should I do, I don't feel safe. My truck has cut off on me at least 7 times on the road. I will never get a DODGE again.
  • luvmynitroluvmynitro Member Posts: 1
    bought my Nitro in August 2007 and LOVE IT!!!! Had a smaller SUV that had a new engine put in and after that the car died repeatedly. Spent 2 months in the shop, they couldn't find what was wrong. Traded it in after they declared nothing was wrong with it. My Nitro runs smooth, handles great in the snow, has plenty of space and is a comfy ride for anyone inside. Better on gas mileage than any of the other SUVs I've owned. Sorry to hear about anyone having problems. I certainly had my share over the 2 years prior to my Nitro purchase.
  • pmcarsellapmcarsella Member Posts: 1
    I bought a brand new one last July and after a month I noticed the paint chipping. Now I have rust spots on the rear door and paint blisters on the hood. Also sometimes driving all the dash lights go crazy,then my tire low light came on and said I had 19 pounds of pressure, so I got out and there was nothing wrong with my tire, once my rear window stuck and wouldnt go up or down. I've had alot of issuses with it. Has any one else?
    I have had the same problems with the dash lights going crazy, and my tire low light has come on many times, but nothing wrong with tire pressure. The dealership has flashed the computer 4 times for the dash light problem, but it still does it periodically. I have a shudder between 40-45 miles per hour especially when pulling a hill.....but the dealership can't find a problem....say maybe it is the tork converter...but of course, have not offered to replace it......I have decided I will drive this thing until the wheels fall off ( which could be any day now!!!!!). I will never purchase Nitro again......I had a Dodge Durango before the nitro and I loved it!!Still haven't figured out why I traded for this "haunted" Nitro..........Oh yeah, had to have the luggage racks replaced due to them cracking.....also the drivers seat sort of fell apart and had to have it replaced..............last week!! I have had this car since August 2007, have 30,000 miles on it and it seems to be in the garage every 3-5 thousand miles......It just doesn't seem to me that the Chrysler Corporation wants to admit to any problems with the Nitros......
  • steelblue314steelblue314 Member Posts: 25
    Get RID OF IT if you can, I did at 10k. :lemon:
  • horianovhorianov Member Posts: 1
    Dear all,
    I have buy a Nitro SXT 2,8 CRD in 4 July 2008, beginning with second day I have got some noise inside of the car and some vibrations at the wheel and pedals. This is taking at beginning 30min after that more. I was at service between 7 July and 8 august in every week for 7 times. The diagnostic was one pipe from fuel feed system it is in a wrong position, after that was fuel filter, then fuel pomp, after that they change the pipe. Every time they say you can drive safely do not worry, but in my hart I have a bad feeling. Finally I was happy with my nitro without any noise and vibrations, but in December 6 when I drive around 1000km, on the way back to home I have remark that average consumption have grow dramatically. The problem was the same pipe that was cut, in engine area, by the same vibration that comes back in this trip only when I accelerate.If is anybody here who can help me or to advice about what is happened in your country in same situations I will be glad. Honestly I'm afraid to drive this car again and I want to change the car or to get many back.
  • mary58mary58 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 Nitro when you leave the front windows up and put a back window down and go over 40 mph the Nitro shakes so bad you can hardly hold it on the road. It sounds like you have a flat tire. My dealer said Dodge knew this was a problem but let it go. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem and if they have what they did about it.
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    This is not an unusual phenomenon for boxy tall vehicles. I have a crew cab full size Silverado pickup and if you do the same thing, the wind noise and buffetting will be almost unbearable. Just do not open the rear windows without opening the front ones. The best combination as I found is opening the driver's door window all the way and then opening the left rear door window partially.
  • malissa1313malissa1313 Member Posts: 2
    i have had exactly the same problems to a t i reently volutarally repoed mine i am going to sue them my car had 22000 miles on it when i returned it it sat in my yard for 2 months and then i had enough i am going to take your letter to the attorney with me i have also contacted diamlyer chrysler this is rediculous and i bought mine in july of 07..... my 4 wheel drive always said it was on also and the front seats plastic piece broke multiple times now they dont want to give me my records thanks for posting :lemon:
  • malissa1313malissa1313 Member Posts: 2
    why do dodge tech always rely on a computer to tell them if something is wrong and they will not give me my service records they are being dirty basically calling me a liar thanks :lemon:
    Good luck, I spoke with an attorney in the spring, and since the dodge dealership said they could find nothing showing on the computer print out, the attorney said I wouldn't have any chance in a lawsuit. As I said earlier, I will drive this thing until the wheels fall off, which could be any day now. Oh yeah, my 4-wheel drive indicator light comes on sometime and stays on, without the car in 4-wheel drive. I have only used the 4-wheel drive one time and had to have the car towed in because it would just shake and vibrate so bad that I had to put it back in 2 wheel drive to get the car to not shake!! Of course they didn't find anything on the computer to show what the problem was!! GOOD LUCK!!!
  • younesyounes Member Posts: 2
    hi all , i am from kuwait , i jout bought brand new nitro , i was going to buy charger but wsaw the nitro i changer my mind and i bought it .. this is my 1 week with this car and it is make me happy and i dont complain for anything ... :)

sorry if my english is not good becouse it is not my first lung
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hi, Younes! It's good to hear from you.

I am curious. How much are you paying for gasoline in Kuwait?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Thank you. That is very informative. You are paying a lot less over there than I am here. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • houston19houston19 Member Posts: 3
    I can sympathize with all of you regarding your Dodge Nitro. I too have had nothing but problems. I purchased my Nitro in May of 2007. The first problem I had was with the seats. Originally I wanted leather but the salesperson told me they had this great interior that was stain, odor and water proof. The first time it rained I noticed big water stains just from the rain drops. I tried to wipe the seats with a clean cloth but the stains would not go away. Next, the anti-lock break light would stay on. The dealership repaired this because it was under warrantee. Within a few months the back windshield wiper just fell off after the second use. Soon after, the main windshield wipers would stop for no reason. I was almost in a car accident because they stopped in a complete downpour. I had to roll my window down while on the highway to find a place to pull off. In addition to the windshield wipers I've had problems with the dash lights coming on, the bells would ring and the car will stall. This usually occurs twice a month. Then two of the windows quit working, the drivers side and rear passenger side door handles snapped in half (so now I have to roll my window down to open the door from the outside) and just recently I noticed the breaks squeek when backing out of the driveway or breaking on a turn, however, they do not squeek when I break traveling forward. I have to use this vehicle to transport clients and children. I was concerned about these issues so my husband called Chrysler directly. My husand mentioned his concerns and asked to have all the recall issues fixed. Chrysler claims our vehicle vin number does not match the recall list, however, our vehicle has all the recall issues. We are so frustrated and concerned for our safety and the safety of others riding in our Nitro.
  • wit2wit2 Member Posts: 11
    does anyone have complaints about 2010 nitros want to buy one but I am checking this sight to see if anyone unhappy. realize 2007 first year had some issues but hope all have been resolved by now. would be nice to see a 6 speed transmission in the nitro like the 2010 chevy equinox to get better gas mileage
  • claybar64claybar64 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my Nitro new in 07 and now that it is out of warranty EVERYTHING seems to be breaking in it!! First it was the cable to my driver window, DODGE had the smarts to screw people by only selling the complete assembly vs. just the part you need.. $300.00. Next my interior PLASTIC door handle, $42.00. Now my back passenger window sounds like it is about to go like the driver window did.. Guess that will be another $300.00. During warranty had to have the computer flashed like 5 times. The tire gauge warning goes off all the time. On the roof, the left and right runners have already been replaced once and now are lifting again, I guess this will be on my bill even though they replaced them once under warranty.. That will likely be $1000.00.... Also, the front speakers have rattled since I bought it and they say there is nothing they can do about that!!! I love this vehicle but I am afraid buy the time I have it paid for, I will be driving a junker.. :mad:
    I contacted the attorney general because I too had all the problems you are having but only called the dealership and Chrysler to report them instead of taking the car in (at my cost) to have them repaired. Because I did not have a history of problems on paper (through the chrysler dealership repair shop) they could not help me.
    Recently had to take my nitro into the shop because my back breaks were metal to metal, however, the front breaks were fine. The mechanic was puzzled because the front breaks should have gone first. That was a 500.00 repair. This car is going to cost me a lot of money by the time everything is said and done. Unfortunately, I paid 25,000 for the car and now it's only worth 14,000
  • linceielinceie Member Posts: 1
    What was the problem with the brakes? My wife's Nitro did the same thing where the backs wore out but almost nothing on the front.
    Yes. The back brakes were metal to metal and the front brakes were fine. The mechanic was surprised. He said he had never seen the back brakes go first.
  • brucej1brucej1 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2010 Nitro. I get 19.7 to 20.1 in the city. However, it seems to have a shudder, that the dealer thinks is normal(due to the suspension). Any techs out there that may know what the problem is? I notice it starting around 40mph and gets worse around 72mph. Seems to be worse when the vehicle is cold. Thanks
  • wit2wit2 Member Posts: 11
    I went ahead and ordered a 2010 nitro with the detonator pkg should be in the next two weeks. It has the 4 liter 5 speed trans. I will pay attention for the shudder problem you are having however I optioned for a trailer pkg. Suspension may be beefed up some.
    I FINALLY GOT RID OF THE NITRO!!!!!!!!! HURRAY!!! WORSE CAR I HAVE EVER OWNED IN MY 45 YEARS OF DRIVING!!!!!!!
  • walk_the_walk2walk_the_walk2 Member Posts: 140
    bruce: Any news on this problem? I just saw your message and can say for sure that a shudder is definitely something to be concerned about. It can mean a transmission problem or a rear end problem, or if it happens when you apply the brakes, (which may be the least expensive situation), it could be a brake system problem such as warped rotors. In any case, RUN to your dealer to get this documented while it's under warranty, and if they give you some BS, take it to another dealer in your area, or contact Dodge corporate office and demand some answers. Don't wait for the warranty to expire, in case its' a tranny problem.
  • walk_the_walk2walk_the_walk2 Member Posts: 140
    Did anyone get a notice about 2010 Nitros having a NHTSA safety recall for the brake system. Something about a problem that can cause complete brake failure. Appeared to affect a lot of Dodge/Chrysler vehicles, including 2010 Nitros made in late 2009.

DETAILS:

DEFECT SUMMARY:

CHRYSLER IS RECALLING MODEL YEAR 2010 CHRYSLER SEBRING; DODGE AVENGER AND NITRO; JEEP LIBERTY, COMMANDER AND GRAND CHEROKEE; AND MODEL YEAR 2009-2010 DODGE RAM TRUCK. THESE VEHICLES MAY HAVE BEEN BUILT WITH AN IMPROPERLY FORMED OR MISSING BRAKE BOOSTER INPUT ROD RETAINING CLIP.

CONSEQUENCE SUMMARY:

THIS COULD RESULT IN BRAKE FAILURE WITHOUT WARNING WHICH COULD CAUSE A CRASH.

CORRECTIVE SUMMARY:

CHRYSLER WILL REPLACE THE BRAKE BOOSTER INPUT ROD RETAINING CLIP FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING JANUARY 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.

Found this on LEMONFREE.COM
This discussion has been closed.