Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Reportedly May Introduce A Mustang Based Coupe

hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
Per AutoWeek, Ford is seriously contemplating adding a Mustang-based coupe to Lincoln's model lineup. I'm wondering whether it would be called the Mark IX, or whether the Mark designation would not be appropriate. Also, if it were to be more luxury than sport oriented, would it have the LS'independent rear suspension? And if they introduce a Mustang based Lincoln coupe, why not leverage the Mustang platform even further, with a Mercury sport sedan derivative? I know Lincoln currently has the LS, but I read that '06 or '07 may be the last model year for the LS.

Comments

• 1racefan1racefan Member Posts: 932
    it would be similar to what GM has done with the Chevy Corvette and Cadillac XLR?

I would expect the Lincoln version would have the same hp, a cushier suspension, a more subtle exhaust note, and a ton of luxury features inside - whereas the Mustang would be all about performance. From an overall standpoint, I wonder if Ford would be better off doing a Mercury version (bring back the Cougar XR7 - only available in V8) instead of a Lincoln version.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    Why not Mercury and have it be the Cougar? The original was based on the Mustang. Keep those cool sequential taillights!
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    It's name will be Ling Tang, made in China. :)
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Gotta agree with you. If FoMoCo wants an upscale Mustang, gussy it up, sell it through the Mercury dealers as a Cougar and go with the sequential taillights.
  • carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    I thought the Mustang chassis was based on a Lincoln to begin with.

In any case, the Mustang's huge, so it'll make a good base for a Lincoln. I hope it's true, and Lincoln doesn't go all FWD.
  • john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    And be sure the high-end model is an Eliminator! :)

But I can see Ford trying to replicate the whole Nissan 350Z/Infinity G35 coupe (regular brand/luxury brand) effect...
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    john..., you are either showing your age, or you are mercury history fanatic. personally, i could be happy if they did a retro '70 cyclone. :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    :blush: Not showing my age (I'm 32, so I have memories of only the tail-end of the musclecar era) so much as recognizing that at this point in my life, I'm (can't believe this, but...) kinda starting to want a more "adult" car, but at the same time, I still want the feel of 'merican muscle.

A revived Cougar might be just the ticket for me I think...as they said in the day, a "banker's hotrod"...

IMO "Cyclone" needs to come back as at least a name...if Ford is ever going to capitalize on their classic names, this is the time to do it.
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    Poor Lincoln needs something.

I note the new campaign emphasizing the Zephyr and ignoring the Town Car, but they need better product to be Ford's domestic upper end. The LS has languished in the also-ran column for an awfully long time now, and I think it could have been a real competitor had some real attention been paid. I don't think a crossover ute is going to cut it either. And what's the deal with a stinkin' Lincoln pickup? :confuse:

So a Lincoln performance coupe sounds like a good idea to me. I'm as nostalgic as the next guy (assuming the next guy isn't lemko ;) ) but to me, it's Mercury that's the fifth wheel. How can they ever get real branding in today's market?
  • jefferygjefferyg Member Posts: 418
    And what's the deal with a stinkin' Lincoln pickup?

Boy, if I could afford one and the gas to go in it, I'd buy one tomorrow! IMO the Mark LT, while I hate the name, is the best looking pickup I've ever seen - at least among newer trucks. It's a whole lot better than that butt-ugly Caddy pickup.

When I hear "Lincoln" I think big and luxurious. The truck fits the bill.

What I wonder about this Lincoln Mustang deal is to whom are they going to market it? I don't think Older couples are going to go for it - they'll stick with their Town Cars. I don't think most younger couples can afford it, and besides a coupe is not practical for people with children. I am a ford fan, but I'm also a realist. This car has got to compete with BMW and Mercedes, and I just don't think you will allure many of those buyers away.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    "...This car has got to compete with BMW and Mercedes, and I just don't think you will allure many of those buyers away." Perhaps not, but I disagree with your conclusion. I think this car could be profitable for Ford. Since it would be based on an existing platform it would not have to be a high volume seller to succeed. Pricewise, it could be slotted below the BMWs and Mercedes. There are plenty of people in the world that can afford something more upscale than the Mustang for a coupe offering the performance of the Mustang GT, but with more luxury. In contrast to the Mustang's retro styling, I think this Lincoln should feature a "gotta have" modern motif, to offer an alternative to the Mustang. If done right, I could see this Lincoln attracting more young and middle age people to Lincoln-Mercury showrooms.
    Yeah! Well, and no, I guess.

The focus at Lincoln is dropping the demographic. They are officially a greybeard marque now, with the best-selling Town Car averaging a 70 year old customer. Buick is drawing more warm bodies than Lincoln these days. This is why the new campaign so prominently features the Zephyr. But there really isn't much more to the Zephyr than utility as a generic sedan.

I personally doubt the coupe will suface soon, but I think it's a good idea for much of the reasoning hpmc offered. For one thing, the platform is viable and adaptable, with everything beside sheet metal being parts-bin. A well-trimmed, Mustang GT performance level, two-door will sell to the 30-50 year-old target if they execute the styling properly and price it starting at just over $35K. I agree it can't really be retro, because Lincoln doesn't have anything in a two-door in recent history that a majority of 30-50 YOs call recall as particularly sweet. The Marks don't cut it. Cannon ("a Quinn-Martin production) drove one; 'nuff said! :blush: Even the more recent ones stick in the mind as big and ungainly. I think, though, that working in some subtle cues from the pre-war 30's would be a good idea.

On the Lincoln truck: I don't think they belong in the truck business any more than does Caddy, personally. Buying a truck for luxury, to me, is like wearing ski boots for hiking. I'm glad you like it, but go there I can't!
    Inasmuch as the 06 Town Car is still a 98 Town Car, we 70+ just might be interested in a Lintang so long as it didn't result in a rebadged Mustang. This may be confusing to you, but our garage includes a Town Car and a 66 Mustang GT we've owned since 67. The old GT turns as many heads as the 05's do and has the trophies to prove it. Driving an 06 Lintang for me may be like Chuck Yeager piloting the F 22, but what a ride it would be. :)
    Don't sweat it, euphonium; I'm newly 45, which in autospeak means I have less than five years to go before I too am marginalized in terms of demographic dollars. ;)

I can well imagine a pristine '66 Mustang, GT or otherwise, can readily turn heads. Must be a joy to own and drive.

Agreed on the rebadge. If it's merely a case of slapping some styling cues on a GT, and likely screwing up the suspension with lower spring rates and cushier shocks, then pass for me too, and big time. To make it fly, and draw the audience they claim to target now, Lincoln would have to differentiate it from the Mustang not unlike the way Jag has been crafted of, but distanced from, Lincoln and Ford parts.

I don't know if the scratch is in the kitty at Club Ford to pull it off, but at the very least we can speculate the platform is equal to the task.
    Interesting you refer to the Jag. It is the only car I'm interested in switching to from our 94 TC due to it's unique style of the XJ8. At least the dealer for the "Lintang" is close. :)
  • wtd44wtd44 Member Posts: 1,208
    My 2002 Mercury Mountaineer Premier would love to have a 2006+ Cougar coupe out of the Mustang as a garage mate. A V8 (or V10) with Viper whacking power... aaaaah, but I digress... If it came out as a Lincoln, I think it likely to not be as hot and sporty as if it were a Mercury. I see that differentiation as the FORD way of doing things.
  • ehaaseehaase Member Posts: 328
    The Mustang platform is not flexible enough to be adapted for a sedan, according to the message boards. It shares very little with the LS.

The 1984 through 1992 Lincoln Mark VII used the same Fox platform as did the 1979 through 2004 Mustang, so I expect that there will be the same relationship between the new Lincoln and the current Mustang.
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,466
    The LS V8 was a dumbed-down version of the Jag V8, maybe the Lincoln coupe (Mark IX?) could use an undumbed version. I suppose that it might be seen to compete with the new XK, but that car is going back toward the sport side, closer to the E-type. The Lincoln could fill in whatever void the old XK left, while being more accessible because of more dealers and more affordable because, well, Lincoln ain't Jaguar.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    Wait... the Mustang is "loosely based" on the LS platform. Lincoln wants to base a car on the Mustang... just use the LS platform!
    And the last "hot and sporty" Mercury was? :P

I'm thinking around '49 or so...
    It WAS sporty, but the HOT '49 was the Olds 88 with the Kettering engine and 4 speed Hydra-matic. Dual Smittys, wide WSW all on the torpedo coupe. :)
    I had never thought about it, but in 1949 the Mercury's hot styling coupled with the Olds Rocket engine would have made an unbeatable combination for its day.
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,466
    Actually, Mercury turned out a pretty nice version of the Cougar in '67 and '68, called the XR7. Sporty rather than sports, it featured white on black round instruments and a (probably fake)wood dach. You could get it with any of the 289's, which would make it handle reasonably well, or the 390, which would give you (marginally) more straight-line acceleration.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

I remember it well! My cousin owned one in college (we were roomies); yellow with black vinyl top, black interior. He was fond of the switches in the overhead console; made him feel all pilot-ish! But that was just a trim package, and any iteration the Mustang was generally a sportier car, if not as nicely turned.

Merc has been the gussied Ford for an awfully long time, which of course has been the problem with Lincoln, which has been a gussiered Ford for a long time.

I really think the future for Mercury and Lincoln is for one of them to be absorbed by the other. Makes more sense to me for Mercury to be absorbed, because there's a greater degree of separation between Ford and Lincoln in the consumer's mind.
    I think the key to keeping the Mercury name viable is for Ford to stop being stingy with the new-vehicle development programs, and let Merc have more of them.
  • jae5jae5 Member Posts: 1,206
    on this is like many here, needs to be the Cougar. I mean, there could be a Mark IX LSC (reminiscent of the VII which was really a higher-end T-Bird/Cougar), but believe the Mustang-derived vehicle should be the Cougar. And agree on the sequential taillamps. Know this is somewhat off topic but was hoping the upcoming Shelby would have the sequentials, similar to the Mustang concept from a couple years ago. Wonder if anyone is making them.

In any event, I hope they don't go the last-gen Marauder route: too much $$$; too little performance, differentiation, exposure, dealer knowledge;, too late for the market.

What I do think is that Lincoln should have invested in the LS. It really is a nice piece, at least when it first entered the market. I mean, I've ridden and driven it and it was a decent competitor in its market IMO (IS, 3-Series 4-dr, Infiniti, CTS). They should concentrate on that type of vehicle, nice 4-dr RWD with good performance, V6 & V8 options, nice interior & exterior design and packaging.

Again, just my thoughts and opinions.

Happy Holidays
    I really agree that the Cougar name is an excellent choice, with Mercury the brand. My only Cougar was a four door 1979 I bought new, but that memory would not prevent my associating the Cougar name with now a Mustang derivative!
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    Better yet than something based on the LS platform, make a new one. They need a RWD smaller sized chassis to build a Falcon and Mustang and/or Other Coupe for Lincoln / Merc. Why can't they build lighter, smaller cars with sporty looks, reasonable price, RWD, as coupes for under $21K? Bring back the inline 6 for a smoother engine. And NEW designs. Time moves on, I was there to see the wonderful Mustang on opening night at the local dealership. Owned a '65, and the '85 model Stang. Make some NEW cars around the same size as the old Falcon. Make the Falcon, and/or the Fairlane again with an inline six and as an option the 300HP 4.6. Offer coupes, as well as, sedans.
    -Loren
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    I agree with you completely. I sure am glad Lee Iacocca kept at it and decided that Ford could do better than the Falcon in the early 60's. I even like the original Falcon, though! More of that, please!

Yeah, my first car was a 1965 Ford Mustang. Kind of weak mechanically in the clutch-plate and brake category and some of the doorknobs fell off and I think I had some issues with trim falling off here and there and probably a window issue or two. But, as far as a great small car design the early Ford Mustang was and still is hard to beat. I'd certainly perk up my ears and take notice if Mercury/Ford decided on focusing(pardon the pun)on decent small cars once again.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

The Lincoln MKR displayed at the '07 Detroit Auto Show is a 4 door, it uses a modified Mustang platform. It's not a stretch to imagine a MKR coupe, to complement the sedan, and to compete with Cadillac's planned CTS coupe.
    ...for a Lincoln coupe to compete with the Cadillac and luxury import brand coupes, eh?

I've read that the next generation Mustang will feature independent rear suspension, so it would seem that this rear wheel drive platform could be suitable for a luxury coupe derivative. Your thoughts?
    I still lean towards what I said back in Dec '05 (wow, almost 6 years ago :surprise: ). I guess naming-wise it could tie in better with Lincoln's current alphabet-soup naming convention, maybe calling it MKC (MK for Mark, C for coupe?) MKIX is just... :sick: and MKX is already taken

But I think the $64T questions are:

Why? Just to compete with Caddy's CTS/V Coupe?
    What would seriously be this coupe competition?
    Does Lincoln's current customer-base want a coupe?
    Would Lincoln pull conquests in if they offered a coupe?
    Would it be a halo or actually expected to sell units?
    Considering it will have Eco-boost, would there be a V8, a la "Hot Rod Lincoln" version?
    The Lincoln coupe's competition would be the coupes of the other luxury brands (Cadillac, Mercedes, Audi, BMW, Lexus and Infiniti).

I can't answer whether current Lincoln customers would buy one, but I presume that there's a group of the brand's fans, and those who are nostalgic for the domestic luxury coupes of the '70s and '80s, plus some import brand enthusiasts, who would be attracted to a fresh design on a modern, new platform.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I wonder if this means Mustang is finally dumping the live rear axle on the next edition?
    I read that the '14 Mustang, which will be the 50th anniversary edition, will be on a new platform, and will feature IRS.

I haven't read anything about a Lincoln based on this next generation platform, but it would make sense. The wheelbase could be stretched for the Lincoln.
    I guess, but I really don't see Lincoln being a serious competitor to any one of those, except maybe Cadillac, which isn't saying much. To me, Cadillac is a one-trick pony right now with CTS, stretching that platform to the limit with 3 offspring. I could see the coupe maybe, possibly tapping some G37 and 1-series sales but I don't think it'll get any CLK, A5 or IS and the like.

But I could see this in helping bring Lincoln back in the V6 or V8/RWD game, which is really where most consider the standard drivetrain configuration to be considered luxury. And with the Mustang going IRS supposedly (still fingers-crossed), this offers them even more reason as well as a possible way to spread the cost out. Could this spawn another T-Bird attempt?

A very good discussion.
    "I don't think it'll get any CLK, A5 or IS and the like."

Why not? I'm betting that the next Ford RWD platform will be world class, in terms of design, and their engine and transmission technology is now competitive with the world's best.

I've read that styling wise, the '14 Mustang will not be bound by retro design restrictions, as the current one is. It may have some retro cues, but Ford stylists have been given the freedom to introduce a fresh design. It's being designed for world markets, not just for North America.

As for a new T- Bird, anything is possible, but I think Lincoln stands a better chance, because revitalizing Lincoln is a higher priority than adding yet another model to the Ford lineup. Besides, the margins would be wider for a Lincoln coupe than for a T-Bird. These are just my thoughts, and it's all speculation because its been about four years since I've read anything about a RWD Lincoln.
    Not a slant towards you so please don't take this personal but every time I hear "the next FOMOCO / GM / Chrysler platform will be world class in terms of..." I just smirk and think "Here we go again, when have I heard that before".

Not saying that it couldn't happen, I just don't see it because Lincoln has pretty much become Ford's "badge engineering" division, a la GMC and RIP Pontiac/Saturn/older Buicks. But if they prove me wrong I'd gladly take my hat off to them / Ford - it may actually get me (and others) to start looking at them again. Even if they don't do a coupe, just a nice, proper RWD platform along with real sheetmetal differentiation from a Ford product would help them tremendously, and possibly help Ford division to have another RWD car besides Mustang.

Again, an interesting and good discussion.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    Maybe you missed the fact the the Mustang already was sold with IRS?
    It was the Mustang Cobra. sold up through 2004.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert