Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MX-5 Miata (2005 and earlier)

Comments

• FYI - In case Miata owners don't know, there's a website where you can sign up to receive lots of e-mail messages from around the world from Miata owners. Go to http://realbig.com/mailman/listinfo/miata

You will begin receiving lots of e-mail from Miata owners with all types of questions and answers. You can also ask for advice, etc. Once you sign up for this service, you will receive a lot of e-mail, so if you don't wish to receive a lot of mail, this site is not for you.
  • Does anyone think the Miata looks better with or without a bra? I have a bra on my car, but it is a pain to take off and on when I wash my car. I bought this car with the bra and have left it on. I hesitate to take if off because of the protection it gives from small rocks, etc. But it is a pain to have to take it off, then back on after the car is clean.
  • cpearson1cpearson1 Posts: 30
    It is true that Consumer Reports gives a load capacity of 340 pounds. It also gives a curb weight of 2365 pounds. The plate on my 2000 gives a GVW of 2835 pounds. According to my arithmetic that gives a load capacity of 470 pounds,
  • freddy_kfreddy_k Posts: 376
    I never quite understood why people think a black piece of vinyl strapped to the front of a car made it look better then the cars natural finish.

To me it is a utility that you use to protect the paint from stone chips and such on the highway. If you do a lot of freeway driving, it might be a good idea in the long run, if you do a lot of city driving it probably isn't worth the hassle.

If you do choose to use it, make sure that you remove it any time you wash the car, and wash the bra as well. Dirt and stones will get trapped between the bra and the paint and cause scratching otherwise, which defeats the purpase of the nose bra.
  • WarpDriveWarpDrive Posts: 506
    No offense to anybody who uses them, but ANY bra on ANY car looks goofy. What's even worse are those solid black plastic hood protectors that you see on cars.

And for the most part, they hurt the paint since a flapping bra (and most of them DO flap) will dull away the finish. Also, the paint will fade unevenly and dirt trapped underneath will scratch also.

The best protection you can get is stonguard clear bras....that's what I would get.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Jeff: buy Ron's, LOL! What a coincidence, back-to-back posts. He's not even far away. Question is, is it an automatic? And do you want new or used?

Pros? Very reliable, fun, affordable, light, fuel efficient, simple to fix/modify, and a strong aftermarket.

Cons? Cramped interior, loud, ride can be tiring.

If the wife fits, and doesn't mind the noise and the ride, then go for it. The auto handles just as well as the stick, at least.

-juice
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    Ron's 1990 Miata has to be a manual because the Miata didn't get an optional automatic until 91.
    When do you guys get your first major service, and what should I be looking at doing. The car is at 76000 km/45000 miles. I don't have a reliable mechanic and don't want to be ripped off replacing what I don't need to, but I also don't want to take any chances and wear anything out. The car seems to run fine as it is.
    I would suggest:

change oil and filter, replace spark plugs, change air filter, change fuel filter, change PCV valve, change O2 sensor, change differential oil, change transmission oil, refill/change turret oil, rotate tires and torque wheels to spec, remove tow hooks, check/adjust timing (I advanced mine), alignment, and throttle body service.

Add spark plug wires, which I skipped because the previous owner had just changed them. I would also bleed the brakes and inspec the pads and rotors.

Did I miss anything?

-juice
  • dgraves1dgraves1 Posts: 414
    Change coolant and flush system.
    I knew I forgot something on my list. In fact check all the fluids, power steering, brake, gear oil, windshield washer, etc.

Change "gear oil" to ATF here and in my post above if you have an auto.

-juice
    That's quite a list! I've been under the impression that I shouldn't have to worry about the tranny fluid with a manual. I've also been meaning to remove the tow hooks myself since I've got a grill waiting to be installed, but getting them to do it is probably easier.

I'm not sure what the torque wheels are.
  • locke2clocke2c Posts: 5,038
    actually manual transmission gear oil should be replaced every 30k or so. it's in your owner's manual. if you don't have one, I bet Mazda would send or sell you one.

-Colin
    I meant torque the wheel lug nuts to specification. In other words, I don't just throw them back on and tighten them arbitrarily.

-juice
  • ksargentksargent Posts: 31
    Thanks to everyone who answered my question about load capacity. I also contacted Mazda - their answer was that the 340 lb limit was for "optimal" performance, but exceeding it would not be a safety issue.

Regards
    Ken
  • mainsail2mainsail2 Posts: 77
    I know Miata's are known for this, but what is the fix for a '92? I can't remember if strut tower braces help or if there's something else that can be done. I know that a lot of ride and handling gizmos are available from mmmiata.com, but I don't want to waste money by ordering the wrong thing. Any help would be appreciated.
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Posts: 1,265
    Happy Easter to All!

God Bless,
    Larry
    Spring is here, My hardtop is off!

Happy Convertabling all (god or no god ;-)
    Check tire pressure. 26-28psi is best to avoid that shimmy. Mine was high and jiggled a lot at highway speeds, plus the CD would skip all the time. It's much better now.

I also added a front lower brace that I made myself from C-Channel steel and some zinc coated bolts. Check miata.net, there were instructions on how-to. Or you can just buy a custom brace for $30-38 or so. It bolts on easily.

-juice
  • mainsail2mainsail2 Posts: 77
    Juice - Thanks for the input. I have been carrying more air pressure, so I'll try lowering it to 26-28 psi and see what happens. The brace sounds like a "what can it hurt?" deal, so I'll probably order one of them too.
  • locke2clocke2c Posts: 5,038
    there will be some cowl shake no matter what, but especially above 60mph or with heavy crosswinds. if dropping the top solves it, you'll just have to live with it.

but if it's not the cowl that's shaking, I'd first look at tire balance and then alignment. inspect the tires for uneven wear. highly uneven pressure can do it too, but that's rare.

anyway, I recommend at least 30psi for spirited driving with most tires, only a few will have a rigid enough carcass to perform acceptably at 26psi. I've never had a problem with shimmy at any pressure though.

-Colin
    drove the wife's Miata today, top down woo hoo
  • I knew everyone here would know how I felt - my Miata is having her bumper repaired (some guy in an SUV hit me) and will be in the shop for approximately 3 days which means I can't enjoy my car with the top down for 3 days. It's spring in Texas and I don't have my car!!!!!!
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    Make sure you add pain and suffering to the repair invoice.
  • verozahlverozahl Posts: 574
    ... not a bad thing, either.
    My dad will pull the Miata out of the garage at the house perhaps... never mind, 40 degrees F high again tomorrow. My family's on vacation for Easter... Virginia or thereabouts.

I would have preferred he bought a Prelude, but he is the old man with the money, and his money says inexpensive, reliable MG... sounds like a MX-5 Miata to you, does it not? Meanwhile, the Integra suits me wonderfully in all weather. Mazda needs to carry something like it... I'd like to park a 2004 MX-6 next to that 2000 MX-5 in the garage when I visit my parents, periodically.
    maltb: I doubt the other guy's insurance has a limit high enough to cover all the pain and suffering! We feel for you, Tex.

-juice (top down in 70 degree Washington)
  • bjrichbjrich Posts: 125
    The Abe Lincoln Miata Club, From Springfiled, Il., is heading for the Arkansas Hiway # 7, a great Miata Road. Leaving on the 19th and heading for Mt. Nebo to let it all hang out.
    A terrific bunch of people and 11 great Miatii'...

Wish us great weather, warm sun and great sites to see.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    You guys are making me jealous now. My top down days are already almost over :( Florida humidity combined with temps in the mid-upper 80s is unbearable unless you are down by the beach.
    I took my hard top off and kept the soft top down on Sunday. Monday it snowed. Tuesday was cold. Today it snowed. What a spring! :-(
    If it's that hot, run the A/C with the top down! Or move to where Freddy lives. ;-)

-juice