Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Range Rover/Sport Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jinpowerjinpower Member Posts: 17
    Has anyone paid lower than sticker price on a Range Rover Sport HSE? If yes, how much and where at? all I still refuse to pay sticker price for any car. I never have and plan on nevering having to do so. Hope this is not the first. I love everything about the Range Rover Sport. Thanks in advance for all your help guys.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    Well I can't comment on your particular market but up where I am I have four Full Size Range Rovers for sale on the ground. I have one Rang Rover Sport and one Sport Supercharged. I have one more Full size Range coming in two weeks and then over the next five months I only have nine maybe ten more Range Rovers coming. So that puts my dealership at fifteen Range Rovers to sell till September and we average three to four Range Rovers a month. We will barely have enough Range Rovers to supply the average normal demand we get for them over the next five months.

If you look at Range Rover sales for Calender Year 2005 they were down by 0.8 percent which considering that overall SUV sales are down 30 something percent is pretty good. Land Rover sales are up 30 percent over 2004 calender year sales. Most of that increase is from the Range Rover Sport(LR3/Disco sales are up 22% versus 2004) but with overall sales of SUVs down so much and Land Rover lauching a new model that everyone knew would steal some sales away from the Range Rover I think the 2005 numbers are very good.

Our overall sales for Q1-2006 are up just over 30 percent vs. Q1-2005. Sales for Range Rovers never make big swings one way or the other because Land Rover keeps import numbers very low. They only import 12,000-14,000 Range Rovers a year and there is very little overlap between model years. For example there are only eight 2005 Range Rovers left in the entire US that are unsold. Most of those five have a notation by them that normaly means they are being used as demos of one sort or another.

I don't work for Land Rover but I do work for a retailer. I am up in the northeast though so I am sure our market is very different then yours. I wouldn't expect any major body style changes for the Range Rover till Model Year 2009 or 2010. That is the rumor at least but it is still to far away to be sure.
  • sam818sam818 Member Posts: 127
    I read in AutoCar magazine that there is a Range Rover refresh for June 2007.
    Any ideas as to what can be expected?
  • rover_usarover_usa Member Posts: 24
    I have pretty much closed the deal with LandRover North Point here in Alpharetta (suburb of Atlanta) on an HSE with LUX, SAT, RSE in Java black...paid full MSRP!!

Could not get them to budge off it...

But, did get them to throw in lots of non-vehicle kit for free.

One thing that came up was extended warranties.

The dealership claims that the warranty they sell is the same as extending the factory warranty and that other extended warranties on these vehicles are not as good.

Can anyone comment on this?

Is the dealership extended warranty the same as extending the factory warranty?

I am scheduled to pick up my new HSE next Saturday.
    If it is the Land Rover Assured warranty and the _______, I can't remember the name of the other one I will look it up tomorrow at work, warranty then yes it is pretty much the same as the factory warranty.

It does not include the extention of the schedualed maitinence and there is a deductible per visit but pretty much the same in all other aspects.

Just ask to see the warranty brocure and the contract. The real Land Rover warranty lists exactly what things are not covered so it is very easy to see what you would need to pay for.
    Hi British Rover...you always provide really good information on this forum...thanks.

The salesman called today and wanted to know if I would like to take delivery of the RangeRover tonight: so I am quite excited. He even offered to bring it over to the house and close the paperwork here instead of the dealership. That impressed me; but, we will go to the dealership to accept delivery because it is on the way to another destination that we need to go to.

We will now have two Rovers: 2003 Disco, and this 2006 RR HSE.

I just hope that the RR HSE proves to be as trouble free as my Disco.

One of the other services that the dealership is giving me is a loaner of an LR3 SE anytime either of my Rovers is in the shop for any reason.

They will even send a guy out to pick up my vehicle and drop off the loaner...very impressive...I could not expect that at the BMW or Benz dealerships.

Go Rover!!
    Yeah we do valet service for our customers too if they call with enough heads up notice to arrange for a driver or sometimes I will do it myself if I have a slow day.

We are lucky enough to have a dodge store in our auto group so we also have a dedicated two vehicle and trailer that we normaly use for vehicle swaps between dealers. In a couple of emergancy situations when a car was off the road and Land Rover Raodside assistance could not get to the customer fast enough we have used our truck/trailer combo to retrive the vehicle.
    When I took delivery of the RR HSE last Friday night one tidbit that the sales guy mentioned in passing was that the Nokia BlueTooth phone (whichever model was specifically manufactured for the RR cradle) was no longer being manufactured and no longer available.

That sounded fishy to me.

So, I just checked the LandRover site and they list the Nokia 6225 and 6200 with my carrier (Sprint) as being cradle-able in the RR cradle and compatible with the PTI system in the RR.

Can anyone respond with direct knowledge of the Nokia BlueTooth phones and RangeRovers?
    Nokia designed the cradle system for the Land Rover but since cell phone design moves so much faster then vehicle design I think all of the phones that the cradle system works with are now obsolete.

If you can still find those model phone some where then it should work fine but it will be hard to find a model that is so old.

If you just want to hook up the phone wirlessly with bluetooth you are set but if you want to cradle a phone then you are going to probably be out of luck.
    Hi British_rover,
    Thanks for clarifying that.

On another topic, where do you point the RSE remote to make it work the RSE DVD player if you are in the back seat?

Richard
    You should just point it towards one of the screens to make it work but make sure you have the little selector on the back in the right place.

If you are pointing at the right or passenger side screen then you need to have the slider on the back of the remote pushed to the right side.
  • jinpowerjinpower Member Posts: 17
    Where is the phone cradle located on the RRS? I don't see one in my car. I have the bluetooth option. Is the cradle a seperate option?
    There is no cradle just the mount for a cradle to be attached. The mount and little plug is on the under side of the center cubby box lid.
  • twigglesworthtwigglesworth Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a vehicle from the dealership above and have had nothing but horrible experiences with the finance department and their personnel at the dealership. The detailing was awful and learned two weeks before our first payment was due, their finance team failed to fill out the paperwork correctly. I'm now in the midst of working with our bank to try and correct their mistakes. I contacted LandRover of North America to file a complaint and the first statement made is we do have dealerships that are privately owned and can take your complaint on file. Has anyone had similar issues and if so, how can I make sure proper action is taken? I no longer want anything to do with this dealership and would like the loaner program upheld with another dealership. I no longer have any faith in the West Columbia dealer. Since they hold the LandRover name, I find corporate's response unacceptable.

You can probably guess would not recommend this dealership to anyone!
    There are a lot of Rover dealers down in that part of the country.

I am not sure if someone owns all of those dealers or if they are owned by different companies. Find the next closest dealer that is not owned by the same person as the dealer you had the problems with.

Call them and ask for the Centre manager. Explain your situation that you had serious problems with where you bought your Rover and would like to have it serviced with them instead. Be polite and just explain the situation. Let them know that you have no problem with the vehicle or Land Rover in general but just that particular dealer.

A smart centre manager will make sure you are treated with respect and that you get access to loaner cars like anyone else. Keep in mind that for the most part the loaner cars are a first come first serve basis and most Land Rover Dealers do not have enough of them.
    I have a 2006 RR HSE and have recently asked the dealership to configure the vehicle so that the doorlocks engage when the vehicle reaches a certain speed when driving and single-entry access when the remote is used (one click unlocks the drivers door only, two clicks unlocks the other doors).

This is the default behavior on a Disco (we also have a 2003 Disco).

However, I cannot find anything in the manual for RR that indicates that driver key removeal or engine-off can trigger door unlock. This is another default behavior on the Disco.

Is this something that the RR can be configured to do?

Richard
  • tpacar79tpacar79 Member Posts: 23
    I qualified for X Plan and saved $3600 off msrp. perhaps this is why the TMV is not acurate in an exact price point for negitoations. However one dealer wouldnt do a trade to get my color combo , they said they would honor x plan only on dealer stock, so I flew down and bought the one I wanted from another dealer and considered the $3600 money well saved. :shades:
  • jwiljwil Member Posts: 2
    I recently took ownership of a 2003 RR HSE and within in 4 hours after the purchase the vehicle stop moving and made this horrible grinding noise. I had to be towed to a repair shop because it would not allow me to put it in gear. The dealer is picking up the tab but I am curios to know what this problem is and if anyone has encountered the same thing? Also, I am stumped as to how the cell phone option works. I have searched hi and low to find the cradle of any type or connect but I am clueless. And lastly, the previous owner didn't leave the drivers manual with the vehicle. Besides going back to the dealer..any ideas on where I can purchase a replacement manual? Please don't say ebay, it didn't work! :mad: :sick: :lemon:
    Hmhh 2003 Range Rover that sudenly stopped moving.

My crystal ball says front diff failure.

How many miles were on it?
  • killerphishkillerphish Member Posts: 7
    british,

appreciate all your comments & info on this board. wish you worked out here on the west coast - i'd buy one from you.

sorry if this is a dumb question, but if i make an offer for a RRS HSE in the 1st week of july, can i expect any movement off msrp? what's a fair offer to make, relative to msrp?

thank you.

jr
    Honestly I don't know enough about the west coast market to be able to answer that. Over on my side here we only have three RRS HSEs for all of June and come July we are only expecting two more so there are no significant dicounts to be had.

New leasing programs will come out the first week of July though and historicaly the leases get a little more agressive as the fourth quarter approaches.

If the dealer is a fairly large opperation, just for example we only have 20 or so new cars in stock right now mostly LR3s, and has say more then 12 RRS on the ground make an offer of 2000 grand off and see if it flies.
  • killerphishkillerphish Member Posts: 7
    thanks much.
  • jwiljwil Member Posts: 2
    It has 58000 miles and the dealer has agreed to fix it but they indicated that it was the transfer case. I researched this as well and I asked them to take a look at differential as well.
    I have only ever seen one transfer case failure on a Mark III range but I think that was an electronic issue not a mechanicle one. I know people say the front diff failure is very common but I have only seen it on two Range Rovers personaly and both were 2003 MY.
  • b1gjb1gj Member Posts: 1
    Hello all,

I've been a reader of this forum for about 5 months now, and was a little disappointed that there really are not many posts about actual prices paid and buying experiences. especially if this car is so hot and selling like crazy, i would think there would be more people willing to share.

So, i'm going to share my price to help those that are going to buy soon.

I finally picked up my rr sport hse the other day for $61k otd. If your going to any dealer in southern california, i would recommend encino, or south bay. They're the only ones willing to deal. Also, when the dealer says that they will give you floor mats for free, make sure they are the oem ones, not aftermarket ones like they gave me.

I didn't get lux package only sat radio and bluetooth.

My msrp on the car was 58k

Good luck. Don't pay more than i did. The dealers talk a bunch of bs.

email me and i can connect you with my sales guy.

J
  • drdreaddrdread Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for all your great comments. Now that we are essentially done with the RRS's inception year, have people noticed less issues (electrical glitches, etc) w/ the vehicles or better deals from the dealers?
  • sbrewittsbrewitt Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone tell me how best to decide on a 2000 RR 4.0 SE with 75k miles? I'm new to RR but always love the look of car. Any help appreciated. Car is being offered at $12,000

here's what the Individual Sellers says:
    It had its 60K Tune-Up and Complete Bumper to Bumper Inspection. As part of this service they: - Replaced a worn head casket. - Replaced a worn O-Ring in the A/C System. - Replaced all the Belts. - Changed all Fluids and Filters. Separately, I replaced all 4 tires…currently still have plenty of tread. Overall condition is as follows: Engine - Excellent Running Condition. Trans - Excellent...No Problems. Exhust - Original and in good working order. Steering and Brakes - Good working order. Tires - Year old..still good. Full sized spare has never been used.

Thank you.
  • racer_65racer_65 Member Posts: 43
    Since this is a consumer's forum, let me make some comments about prices. There is no way one should pay MSRP for a vehicle. On a car like the Range Rover Sport, dealer profit would be around $10K if you pay window sticker. If you don't care about money, that's a different story, but I figure the reason people come to this thread is because they do care about money.

When buying a car, the measure should be how much you are willing to pay above invoice. No car would stay "hot" for a very long time. Usually 1 year; 2 years max. After that, the dealer would be more than willing to deal. That would be the time to buy the car. It's better to not buy the first or second year model anyways. History shows that new models tend to have bugs, just as the first version of a computer program tend to have bugs. As time passes, the first year models tend to have the biggest depreciation, because all subsequent years will have improvements over it. This should be a no brainer: get a later car with better quality and lower price.

History also shows a couple of other things with respect to Land Rovers:

1) They may look high end, they they're not built to very high quality. Check out this forbes article: http://www.forbes.com/forbeslife/vehicles/2006/07/28/luxury-cars-breakdowns_cx_d- - - - l_0731reliable.html
    It shows that virtually every car this company makes is unreliable.

2) They depreciate like a rock. It might have something to do with #1. There's no reason to pay top dollar for these vehicles. You can save lots of money by waiting a bit and buying second hand.

Finally, keep in mind that the SUV market is soft all over the place. The RRS price is a temporary anomoly. You can get all kinds of top end SUVs these days at a deep discount. Definitely take a good look at the alternatives.
  • vigneronvigneron Member Posts: 2
    I will share as well. I have a 06 RRS, Lux package, PTI, Sirius. I paid the msrp of 61,090.00
    Wow 10,000 dollars of profit I wish I worked at that Land Rover store. Not even the full sized supercharged Range Rover has 10,000 dollars of profit built into it.
    Well, since we are on Edmunds, let's check Edmunds. A base 2006 Supercharged Land Rover Range Rover Sport has MSRP of $69,535, and invoice of $63,277. That's over $7000 in profit already on the base vehicle (without any option). Options is where the high margin is made. Most of your customers will want some options, won't they? If I missed the mark, it's not by much.

Since you mentioned the full size supercharged Range Rover, let's check that one too. MSRP for a base vehicle is $90,035, invoice is $81,932. Again, that's before any options is added. Pretty darn close to 10 grand.

Again, not saying there's anything wrong with making money. Just taking the consumer's perspective here on how to save some money.
    There is just over 9,000 dollars of profit in a supercharged Range Rover.

I can go look at a real invoice anytime I like as all online invoices are typically off by 500 to 1000 dollars.

You said and I quote, "ince this is a consumer's forum, let me make some comments about prices. There is no way one should pay MSRP for a vehicle. On a car like the Range Rover Sport, dealer profit would be around $10K if you pay window sticker. If you don't care about money, that's a different story, but I figure the reason people come to this thread is because they do care about money."

Over 7000 dollars of profit is not 10,000 dollars. Just over 9,000 dollars in profit is not 10,000 dollars. A HSE Range Rover Sport with typical options has about 5,000 dollars in it. A HSE Range Rover Sport with every single option including the rarely ordered Dynamic Response Package might have 6,000 or 6,500 dollars of profit in it but no more.

There are no hidden rebeats or secret kickbacks the prices are what they are.

The market for the RRS sport has changed over the past few months but you are not going to be buying one for a 1,000 dollars over invoice anytime soon unless that car has a story behind it. Just trying to make people understand we don't have 2007 MY cars coming in september is a struggle.

Typical conversation from someone who walks up.

Customer: So I see you got a lot of 2006 Land Rovers on the lot. I guess you are going to be giving them away now to make room for your 2007s.

ME: Well actually we won't get our first 2007 MY car till mid november and even then it will only be a couple of vehicles. We won't get our first 2007 Supercharged Range Rovers or Sports till december or possible January.

I have had to show people my supply line report with the estimated dates of arrivals on all of our cars to make them belive that.
    Since you are in the business, I'll take your numbers, but admittedly with a grain of salt, since the Edmunds numbers are obviously higher.

Markets for vehicles can change quickly. Plenty of SUVs can be bought for $1000 above invoice these days, including some that were selling for MSRP when first introduced. In your case, you are supply constrained for now, so it's a matter of how long people are willing to wait.
  • cpeterson3cpeterson3 Member Posts: 51
    Hey British Rover.

Read an interesting article this week in the Journal that cited the difficulties rising interest rates (and gas prices) are having on the new and used car market, especially SUV's. Those issues are increasing the number of leases relative to purchases as consumers are reluctant to finance long term at higher rates especially on SUV's which depreciated considerably and have higher fuel costs.

The article further discusses the negative cycle of flooding the market with subsidized SUV leases as they end up as used cars in 2-3 years with few buyers due to high fuel costs. A NY Ford dealer mentions that the auction prices for these car is depressed and he's gone as far as not buying used SUV's anymore due to the stagnant market.

Is your dealership seeing similar market reaction to used SUV's?

Regardless of new or used, is their a "slowing" of your sales due to high fuel costs or rising interest rates?

Your last post mentioned a change in the market conditions for the RSS - what were you referring to?

see ya
  • sam818sam818 Member Posts: 127
    We won't get our first 2007 Supercharged Range Rovers or Sports till december or possible January.

I notice that the 2007 RR SC is starting production on August 15th.
    What you are saying is that the supply pipeline will not deliver those first cars to you until December...a 4 month transit time???
  • yrbenderyrbender Member Posts: 25
    I have been in the market for a range rover for many year. I was going to the dealer every 6 mo to check price and quality. I purchase an 04 lx 470 over the rr it was a better vehicle in my opinion at the time and the dealer of rr would only come about 250 off sticker which I would never pay. I was impressed with the new 06 rr sticker around 83,500 lux interior sat. radio all options except not sc paid 74,000. Be patient with your purchase hit the dealer at the right time for the best deal. This dealer had this car for almost a year it was not a demo and he just got a big shipment in.
  • choppe01choppe01 Member Posts: 8
    Hi All,
    Plan on getting the vehicle from Encino, CA, but have a few questions. Can anyone provide me with some lease details. Looking to do a 39 mo lease if offered. Options I'm looking for are LX1, PTI and SAT. Is there no navigation option? The TMV is $58,205. How much would a lease cost? I know down payment is a factor but lets say $5000.00 at the iniial. Credit score is 730. I also quilfy for the X Plan, would that work for this model? Thanks for your response....
  • craigdcraigd Member Posts: 2
    Ok- I'm actually gonna post the info that this forum is supposed to be about. Pd- $58,000 for my Sport last Friday.
    That price included the Luxury package including cold climate package items, sat radio and phone interface (which I'll never use) towing and electrical and fitted floor mats. Received 19,000 for my nearly 4 year old (03) excellent cond. Disco SE with only 30,000 miles and not happy about that, but not having to sell it myself and deal with tire kickers for two weeks was worth something. (first dealer offered 17,000 and I walked) Net deal was then my car and 39000 plus state sales tax.
    I loved my discovery, but the sport rocks!
  • fatcat71fatcat71 Member Posts: 75
    "Just over 9K is not 10K"
    "I can go look at a real invoice anytime I like as all online invoices are typically off by 500 to 1000 dollars."
    add the 2 together and you are left with
    10K = 10K
    Just an observation
  • whatsnuwhatsnu Member Posts: 5
    I'm considering a RRS, what was the MSRP on the car you paid $58,000 on ? $61,000? what dealer would you recommend?
    thanks!
  • oohcynthiaoohcynthia Member Posts: 1
    My Disco SD7 is at this shop right now for the 26th day. I agree the service is awful. I took it in for a second repair on the TC/ABS/SRS system ( first one flubbed at Frederick dealership) and for some brake squeeling. $2300 and 23 days later I go to pick it up and the thing wont start. They want an extra $120 for a battery they wore down. I think NOT! I'm waiting for the Service Mgr to call me back now. I'll post the results when I get my car back.
  • ssp1ssp1 Member Posts: 115
    For whatever its worth I have two friends who couldnt find RR Sports in the trim level they desired (in S Cal). When I bought my LR3 in May 06 I inquired about a Sport and the offerings were limited. I looked at a white one (reg HSE) and it was gone the next day, ditto for a blue and gray one. Seems to match the story of the british rover regarding supply. The two friends went to an auto broker who found what they were looking for and they both paid over MSRP. Kudos to Land Rover for making something that is still a hot commodity.
  • cp44cp44 Member Posts: 12
    :) I have a dilemma and a question. I hope you can help me out. Here goes: I currently have a 2003 Toyota Camry (my first car) I brought it used in April 2004 with a little over 1,000 in miles for $22,000 on a five year finance. In all my remaining balance on the car is $14,506.03 because I've been doubling up on my payments. Now the thing is I'm ready for a new car the Range Rover Sport HSE 2007 to be exact (leased). I'm looking to purchase in June. My goal is by June to have paid down my current car so that all I owe is about $9,000 or $8,000, Then I would bring it in to trade it in for whatever it's worth. I will just pay the remaining balance to the bank myself I don't want them to roll the remaining balance into my monthly payment. I think about this car every single day and I'm am just praying to get it. Do you think what I am doing is a smart move why, or why not?

P.S. I had 1 accident in the car it's noticeable in the body work. It doesn't look bad but you can notice it if you are into cars and I have 27,000 miles on it thus far. I'm in Brooklyn, NY Please help if you can. Thank you in advance.
  • cp44cp44 Member Posts: 12
    I have a dilemma and a question. I hope you can help me out. Here goes: I currently have a 2003 Toyota Camry (my first car) I brought it used in April 2004 with a little over 1,000 in miles for $22,000 on a five year finance. In all my remaining balance on the car is $14,506.03 because I've been doubling up on my payments. Now the thing is I'm ready for a new car the Range Rover Sport HSE 2007 to be exact (leased). I'm looking to purchase in June. My goal is by June to have paid down my current car so that all I owe is about $9,000 or $8,000, Then I would bring it in to trade it in for whatever it's worth. I will just pay the remaining balance to the bank myself I don't want them to roll the remaining balance into my monthly payment. I think about this car every single day and I'm am just praying to get it. Do you think what I am doing is a smart move why, or why not?

P.S. I had 1 accident in the car it's noticeable in the body work. It doesn't look bad but you can notice it if you are into cars and I have 27,000 miles on it thus far. I'm in Brooklyn, NY Please help if you can. Thank you in advance.
    Also can anyone tell me exact figures I should bring to thr salesman when I go so I can have a decent monthly payment say around $750 or $800 a month
  • rrssocalrrssocal Member Posts: 2
    I'm having trouble finding any dealerships in Southern California willing to honor my x-plan pricing. Has anyone else had any problems like this or have any possible solutions? Thanks.
  • jenzjenz Member Posts: 3
    what's the best people have seen off MSRP on an 06 RR SC given the recent incentives? the best i've seen is 7500 off MSRP.
  • 4carguy4carguy Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking about buying a new 2006 Range Rover. How much does a new RR depreaciate when it is now 1 year old but still new and never sold. I know if I had owned a 2006 RR and the dealer was buying it back from me, the depreaciation would be huge. I believe the dealer should also suffer the same depreaciation I would have experienced.
  • jenzjenz Member Posts: 3
    correct me if i'm wrong, but i think it's pretty easy ... there's near mint/low miles 06 RR SC on ebay going for high 70s from land rover dealers, which means these dealers probably bought these in the low 70s from the previous owners so a no miles 06 RR SC probably has a market value in the high 70s given a low miles is low 70s
  • roverboyroverboy Member Posts: 26
    Can anyone calculate what I should have to pay for a 30 month lease of a 2007 Range Rover Sport Luxury Package. It has an MSRP of $60,950. I've seen quotes for around $925 per month which includes tax, drive off of $1800 (includes first month).

I've heard about better deals in Michigan, but can anyone give the name of which dealers are having deals in michigan? Dealers in San Francisco are complete WEASELS. They are quoting over $1000 with money factor of .003. I swear to God if I ever have to deal with SF car dealers again I will shoot myself.

Any experiences or actual lease prices paid for luxury RR Sports would be greatly appreciated. I find this site is extremely helpful, but not enough people post here.
  • cjulucacjuluca Member Posts: 1
    I just got a lease quote for a 2007 RRS SC for 30 months MSRP of $71250 residual 66%, money factor .0025, miles 12k. Payment is $1103.19 plus tax.

Using those numbers with your MSRP of $60950 and assuming you're paying MSRP with no discount. The payment comes to $943.71 plus tax.