Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Coupe / Civic Si 2006+

Comments

• albrew5albrew5 Member Posts: 9
    I would say 70% freeway driving at about 75 mph
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    albrew5,

The Honda 4 cylinders are really tight to start with and get much better mileage after a couple of thousand miles. Your engine will probably loosen up and your mileage will improve. Also, if you are encountering cold winter weather, you mileage will be a lot lower, especailly with short drives, no matter what car you are driving.

Good luck in getting better mileage.

Cheers,

MidCow
    Midcow,

I am in southern california....cold winter weather is not a serious problem...it has been what is considered "very cold" here the last week or so...low 60's. I hope the engine loosens up like you said. Is there much difference between gas brands? I put Arco in my old car, but I'm thinking I should take care of this one and use shell gas. Any reccomendations on brands?

-Alex
    I always use major brands. Typically I use Chevron, Exxon or Shell. The only thing to avoid is the small one-off stations with one-off brands. Saving a few cents can really cost you in the long run.

Don't have Arco here in Houston, but it should be fine.

Cruis'n in 6th ( soon to be double 6-speed Accord 6-speed Civic)

MidCow
  • minilopsminilops Member Posts: 1
    I have 3500 miles on my 2006 Civic EX. My highest gas mileage is 28mpg. That is mostly highway driving too! :( If I would have known the mileage would only be 3mpg over my Grand Prix, I would have kept it.
  • davisinladavisinla Member Posts: 7
    YIKES!
  • jnuzzijnuzzi Member Posts: 39
    Here are my stats for my 06 Civic LX AT Sedan:

Total Gallons Purchased: 100.915
    Total Cost: $226.88
    Average Price: $2.249/Gal.
    Average Fuel Economy: 30.04 MPG
    Total Fill-ups: 11

I drive mostly city miles to/from work. Some highway miles on the weekend.
  • only1harryonly1harry Member Posts: 1,140
    Sounds like many of you are not babying your new Civics. Drive it like granny for an entire tank or >300mi. and watch your mileage go up 3+mpg. This means accelerate SLOWLY.

When it's cold out (it's in the teens here in the NYC area) I only get about 30-32mpg with my '01 EX 5sp. depending whether I do spirited driving or just relax and put the cruise on. This is with 99% highway (80mi. each way daily commute). In the spring/summer I get 34-38mpg. My gas mileage changes 1mpg for every 10 degree difference in weather.

As far as gas goes, you should be using good quality gasoline. An independent Study I saw a couple of years ago said Amocco & Chevron were at the top, with SHELL 2nd, Sunoco & BP 3d, and don't remember too many of the others but I remember Mobil & Exxon were not 4th. They were a tie in 5th or 6th place I believe. My car pings and runs like crap whenever I use Exxon gas. I haven't pumped any Exxon in my cars for at least a year now. My cars run best with Shell & Sunoco (don't have Chevron or Amocco anywhere close but I do use them once in a while). I get the best power and gas mileage with those 2 and I 've tried them all. My Civic even runs smoother on Shell & Sunocco.

Also you should know that no-name brand gas (station) companies purchase whatever is the cheapest gas that week or whatever they can find available. Many times it is good brand name gas like from the top 5, but we just don't know when they 're carrying it because they don't make that info public.
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
    '11 BMW 335i coupe xDrive
    '13 Honda Accord sedan (wife's car)
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    In support of what you say, my Dodge owner's manual says don't upgrade to mid-grade or premium fuel if you have driveability issues, change brands.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    I have an 03 Accord with drive by wire throttle, and its the one thing I hate about the car. Wish Honda would do away with it.

Everytime you floor the throttle froma higher gear, the car seems to collect its breath for a fraction of a second and then you feel the power come on.

I tried other Accords, all exhibit the same lag.

I have Drive by wire in the 2005 CR-V and don't have the problem you describe. I shift my own gears, maybe you have AUTOMATIC? Who in their right mind buys a VTEC engine with automatic?
  • earthearth Member Posts: 76
    06 Coupe EX with Nav, Automatic. City only driving in lots of stop and go, I get around 25 miles per gallon for the last 900 miles. I use Exxon gas at the same pump each time. My next car will be a hybrid
  • jnuzzijnuzzi Member Posts: 39
    Try a different brand of gas. It does make a difference.
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    25 mpg for city ONLY lots of stop and go is actually superb. Check consumerreports.org (subscriber) for some real world city mileages - we are talking about 8- 14mpg for typical small cars in city only cycle. On my mid-80's Golf with automatic, when driven only in San Francisco I was down to 15 mpg! With my 2003 (approx) automatic Ford Focus, only got 26 mpg on a mostly freeway commute! And I drive very gently! So 25 mpg for your described driving is excellent...

Yes, a hybrid might be more efficient in purely city driving. But there are a lot of other factors in making that choice!
  • maureenhmaureenh Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased a 2006 Honda Civic LX Coupe. It did not come with an owners manual. Does the rule still apply for the first 1000 miles NOT to drive it over 55 mph? I am taking a road trip over the holiday that will be about 600 miles. Thanks in advance!!!
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    Absolute speed is not as important as your RPM's - just vary them by not driving constantly at the same speed for extended periods. Gradual acceleration and deacceleration is what you want for the first 1000 miles or so.
    How did you not get an owners manual? Something isn't right. You need to talk to the seller, especially if not a car dealer, and have them provide you an owner's manual.

The new Hondas are great, you can drive regularly but not full-throttle. Easy on the brakes the first 200 miles. Also it is better to vary the highway speed and not-use cruise control for the first 1,500 miles. Otherwise drive normally and have fun; you have a GREAT car

I saw a Si in person today looks even better than the pictures. Awesome!!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year,

MidCow
    Has anyone noticed that on the literature that on the Habanero Red shows that the front around the Honda emlbem is red instead of silver on all other colors.

It is hard to tell from the literature the difference between Habanero Red Pearl and Rally Red. I want Milano Red and I think Pallye Red is the closest. Any thoughts?

Soon to have a 2006 Civci Si,

PS: Habanero Red Pearl is Si only !
    Thanks for info!!! What is the max RPM I should drive? Obviously I am not going to drive 100 mph but how often should I accelerate and deaccelerate? Every 10 minutes? Every 1 hour? I am about to do a 600 mile round trip this weekend...
    Thanks for your help!
    Thanks for the info!! I have been waiting for this car for 2 months...it just came off the boat so it came directly to the fleet guy I was dealing with...with no manual. I had to call the dealer..it is supposed to mailed to me in about 2 weeks...I will take the advice, I am taking a long trip this weekend..question though...how often should I vary the highway speed? This info is very helpful...Thank you much...
    Merry Christmas to you as well and Happy New Year
    Maureen
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    For the very first 600 miles I would not go above 4000 rpm's. Thereafter I would gradually go a little higher - but again don't keep it at high rev's for extended periods. I wouldn't worry about how often you accelerate and deaccelerate, especially with others in the car who may find it irritating, but just try to vary your speed as often as it comfortable, so as not to keep the engine at a fixed rpm for extended periods.

Enjoy your trip and most importantly be safe!

P.S. Also important - leave a cushion in front of you so you are never forced to slam on the brakes - they need a break-in also!
    You don't have to vary that much or that often. 60-65-70-75-80-85 ( whatever your normal speed is vary it 10 mph or so) every 10 minutes or so. I just wouldn't use cruise control.

The new Hondas you can drive almost normal, just no heavy acceleration or high RPMs.

Also, as previously mentioned allow the brakes to brake in and seat. No heavy or hard braking for the first 200 miles.

/Good luck great car.

MidCow
  • travis77travis77 Member Posts: 63
    is there any way to safely turn the beaper off or even down? please help
  • travis77travis77 Member Posts: 63
    without affecting the air bag lights?
  • greg25greg25 Member Posts: 7
    My average MPG on my LX Cp Auto at 2500 miles was 34. Highest tank was 35.66 and lowest was 32.8. Now with the colder weather in Wis the last 2 fillups averaged 31 and 32. This is mostly highway miles to work at 23 per trip.
  • davisinladavisinla Member Posts: 7
    Some of the magazine reviews I've read indicate that the seats are not very comfortable.

Do you owners agree or disagree?

RE: mileage, I would be satisfied with mid 33-34 hwy, but I would also hope that as the car was broken in, mileage went up a bit.
  • debskydebsky Member Posts: 4
    Hello everyone, just thought I'd add my input. I bought a 06 Honda Coupe Ex At, in October. I have 11,500 miles on it now. It is a great car, love driving it. Paid $18,488. Had a 94 Civic Coupe that I drove to 178,000 with no major problems.
    In this car, I have found that you should never trust the left look over the shoulder. I speak from experience having just replaced my rear bumper for $599. The doors have become higher and windows smaller since 94.
    About the seat covers, I called the company on that one since I also wanted to get seat cover protection. They said they didn't recommend it because of the sensors in the seats. Are you aware that the head rest moves forward and up in the event of an accident? It says this in the manual. Anyway, I have put little rugs on my seats for protection(the kind that might go in front of the bathroom sink). It came in a nice Magnolia pattern. I have the white/ivory car. Wear white soles when driving. That black smudge is hard to get off, although, WD40 seems to work well.
    I drive 300 miles/six days a week so gas mileage is what I care about. I inflated my tires to 36, I drive the posted speed limit, not one mile faster(realize you big city drivers would die with this tactic but I do live in the Midwest so can get away with it). I keep trunk empty of junk. I buy from Exxon, 85 rating. Have never been close to the red line. Medium starts, slower stops(have never replaced the brake pads on any of my vehicles). Driving highway miles mostly, got 32/mpg when new. If it's windy and cold mpg are 36. On a nice 50 degree day with no wind I got 44.5. Average coming in at 40. This car has a lot more zip than the 94 had, needed two miles in order to pass something with the 94. Very good car.
    you just said it in passing, but it's pretty important to me...

you got 32 MPG when the car was new, but it did increase up to the advertised mileages after time? I have about 2300 miles on mine, about a minth old, and my mileage thus far has been 30-32 MPG, driving like one of them "big city drivers" moderate starts, moderate braking, freeway speeds of 75, normal surface street speeds of 50ish, 60-70% freeway driving.

In your anecdotal experiance, when should i expect my mileage increase? I would be happy with anything over 35 consistantly.

Anyone else know?

-Alex
    albrew5: Don't go 75mph and you will see that the gas mileage will improve considerably. Try and go 65mph but accelerating slowly is very important. I 've owned 3 Civics so far and they all behaved the same in regards to gas mileage. You don't get the advertised mileage or higher by going 75mph unless it's 80-90deg out. You will see the best gas mileage in the summer time and when the car has over 10k mi. This also depends on proper break-in during the first 1k mi.
    The first 50 miles are crucial. You must vary your RPM's from 2K to 4K a LOT (or 2500 - 4500 in 3d or 4th). Back roads are best for this so you don't cause an accident on the freeway. Also the unwritten rule is not to use the cruise control for at least the first 200 mi. If your "new" car was test driven several times before you bought it and had 20 or more miles on it (about 4-6 test drives) it may never get the advertised gas mileage if it were 'abused' before you took possession.

Just be patient and accelerate slowly and keep it at 65mph for a whole tank and you should be able to get mid-30's. If you get freezing temps where you live, you will not get any decent #s until the spring & summer. Your mileage changes by 1mpg for every 10 degree difference.

Remember to always go to the same pump, not just the same gas station or the same isle. It must be pump #6 - the same one you filled up the last time because of the imperfections in the pavement. That's how you get an accurate milage reading. I know this may sound stupid but I just came from another Honda forum where the guy was dividing the # of miles by 13.2 because that's how many gallons his tank has. Of course he was coming up with low 20's all the time because that's not how you calculate your gas mileage. Make sure you zero your odometer when you fill up. When you fill up the next time (but make sure you 've done close to 300 mi.), devide the # of miles on your odo by the # of gallons it takes to fill it up. Sorry for posting this but I was amazed to see how many people out there don't know how to do this.
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
  • earthearth Member Posts: 76
    Some of the magazine reviews I've read indicate that the seats are not very comfortable.

Do you owners agree or disagree?

RE: mileage, I would be satisfied with mid 33-34 hwy, but I would also hope that as the car was broken in, mileage went up a bit.
    ----------------------------
    Disagree....My coupe 06 seats are very confortable, over my corolla or Rav 4 2005.
  • debskydebsky Member Posts: 4
    My car drove across an interstate for the first tank, had to do the mph fluctuation thing as a good Honda owner should. Pretty much the next tank went up to 35mpg. I neglected to say that my top speed on the small highways is 65, never higher unless passing someone else doing 63. Never use ethanol in the gas you use, it lowers your mpg. If we could all drive 45, mpg would be much better. lol
    Have found seats to be very comfortable, tilt and telescoping steering wheel help out greatly in this department. Like the part where doors will lock at 11mph but don't like that they won't unlock automatically when you stop. Cars come with this feature not set. You have to set it if you want it.
    My '06 hasn't arrived yet (waiting 2mos for a black LX or EX coupe 5sp. manual) but I 've test driven 2 Civics so far and the seat felt the same or a little more comfortable than my '01 EX. Not sure how they would be on a long trip. That's the real test.
    Historically the Civic seats are not too supportive or too comfortable for long trips. However, my '01 seats were more comfortable than my '97's, so I 'm hoping they continue the tradition of improving the seating comfort a little more with each generation.

I drove my '99 Integra GSR to work today (80mi. each way) which I don't do very often, and even with a back-breaking, kidney-busting coilover race suspension (650/750pound/in. springs, stock are 212F/128R) and polurethane bushings all throughout, the seat didn't give my back any problems whatsoever. Usually after about 50min. during my 1hr-15min. commute, my back starts bothering me with the Civic. I was thinking why can't Honda use the old '94-01 Integra seats and then it hit me that the Integra seats as do most other (semi-luxury or $22K+) cars, have LUMBAR support! The '06 Civic doesn't, nor did my '93, 97 & '01 Civics have it. Maybe in the 9th generation Civic we may see lumbar support :(
    A pillow or cushion usually simulates the lumbar lower back support though. Also I don't think the '06 seats are going to be much of an issue for those 20-35yrs of age whom Honda always targets. The majority of younger people don't have any back problems.
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
  • mtbridermtbrider Member Posts: 16
    I just recently drove a '06 Si. Great handling, good stereo....regarding acceleration, I didn't feel free to drive it like I stole it, given that I was dealing with a gentleman from a Honda dealership whom I haven't dealt with before and he didn't seem to be the sporting type; however, the little that I did push it, it pulled fairly hard and sounded great. Great package overall, except the fact that the dealership (in Little Rock, AR) was tacking on a $5000 "market price increase" on all of their Si's. $26-27K for a Si? I don't think so. I'll wait until the price goes down. Anyone else with a similar experience?
    Markup- One dealer wanted $24,999 for basic Si a $4,459 mark-up. I won't deal with them again Baytown Honda, TX. I orderd one for slightly under MSRP.

Happy New Year,

MidCow
  • firstdaddyfirstdaddy Member Posts: 19
    Yeah, you can turn the beep off, its called putting your seat belt on! :P
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I buy from Exxon, 85 rating.

Should you run such a low octane number? Used to, 86 was the minimum reccomended octane rating for Hondas. I'm surprised you can even find 85! In the south, the lowest available octane I've seen in my whole life is 87 (most stations have 87, 89, 93 octanes available).

What does the manual say the minimum octane rating should be?
    They started gouging already? No thanks. I 'll take a new S2000 for $30K any day over the Si. It's 5 times the car the Si is. I 'm looking at possible replacements for my GSR to take over the racing duties from April to October. 1-3yr old S2K's now with 15-20k mi. go for $24-27K. Not too many available but they 're out there.

The '06 Si is great for $21K, maybe $22K at the most. Anything over that and I wouldn't hesitate looking elsewhere.
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
    5 times the car , how so ?

But you are right by the way a 2006 with VSC and with discounts runs closer to $31K. Heck who cares about the extra $9,000. 2006 Honda Civic dealers.

Let's see when I need to occasionally carry a third person I can strap thme on the softtop of the S2000.

It doesn't matter if I get lost, I can use Chuck-Chuck or Tom/Tom or Garmin on the S2000.

If I want respectable milage the S2000 will give me close to the rated 25 mpg highway. The Civic Si is only rated at 32.

And yes who need side curtains whan you have the top down most of the time.

And if I want to carry anything more than a briefcase I can strap it on also.

Any you don't have to lock, because they will just cut through the top. So I don't have to worry where I park the car.

I like those narrow S2000 seats they make me want to go on a diet! H'mm maybe that is good!

All thopse postive points on the S2000, yes I can see it is a better vlaue than a Civic Si!

I had a modifed 1995 GSR and wish I still had it; great car. You gotta low VTECHs.
    soon to be double sixes,
    MidCow

P.S.- Yes I looked at the S2000, MX5, SKY and Mini S, but I decided a convertable didn't exactly meet my needs!
  • steveheavensteveheaven Member Posts: 5
    same here in california (los angeles area). i called many dealerships around they were selling the car for 25000 to 30000. they also told me that the dealerships are getting only one Si per month. i hope that Honda make many of them to meet the demand because i want the car but i wont pay that much.
    Midnight: Like I said, paying invoice for an Si is a good deal. But $25-30K is outrageous. It's still a Civic! What dealers are asking for the '06 Si today is close to a new S2K price range or more than some used S2K's which is why I mentioned it. There's no comparison between the two. The S2K is not for everyone and not for you because I gather you are looking for an everyday car although I wouldn't dare venture out in the snow for my 160mi. round trip commute on those 17's wheels & tires. The Si is not for everyone (not for me) either, especially when it runs on Premium gas.

The S2K is a real sports car with real performance #s, and it's RWD! Real sports cars are RWD. We 're talking 5.3s 0-60 and 13.5s in the 1/4 compared to 15sec for the Si and 6.8s 0-60. The S2K does everything 1.5s faster, not to mention the handling and the G's of the S2K are superior as well. I did a 14.96 at the dragstrip (after pulling several 15.0-15.1's) with my GSR with only a cheap header, AEM cold air intake, factory stock exhaust (Quaife LSD too & lighter flywheel). Car dynoed in at only 157.8hp at the wheels. Tires were Falken Azenis street tires. I ran a 14.79 in my brother's completely stock '98 Type-R, also on Azenis, which matched Motortrend Magazine's '00 road test of 14.8s.

In my case and others that have a daily driver and want a sports car to drive 8 months out of the year or do some weekend autocross racing or wknd track events and HPDEs, it's a good choice. I never recommended to all potential Si buyers to go out and buy an S2K instead.

There 's plenty of room in the S2K's trunk for even a suitcase. If you don't fit in the S2K's seats (I have a 36 waist and fit fine) then the car is definitely not for you. I just got an e-mail from a guy with an '04 (it's the 2.2L) S2000 begging me to buy his car for $24.5K because his wife is having a baby in a few weeks. It has 14k mi. The car is worth more. What am I supposed to tell him? No thanks, I 'm buying a Civic? He 'd be laughing at me for hours. BTW, my local dealer still had 2 left-over '05 S2000's at the beginning of December. They were giving them away for $29K even. I 'm sure I can talk them down to the $28's. Now that's a real bargain.

I would take an Integra Type-R over the new Si any day too. Similar #s (or even faster) but the Type-R weighs 250-300lbs less. '00-'01 Type-R is my 2nd choice to replace my aging '99 GSR that's been raced almost every weekend for 6yrs. Those Type-R's can be had for $13-17K depending on mileage. The only problem is half of them have been stolen and there are very few out there for sale. I remember reading a Car & Driver (or Road & Track) article in '98 when they did a full road test on a Type-R and all the editors and drivers were fighting afterwards over who was going to take it home.
    Dealers tried to charge thousands $$ more too for the limited production Type-R's but Honda (Acura) quickly put a stop to it by ordering all the dealers to cease such action or they would face reduction in dealer incentives and dealer backed programs which would affect dealers financially. Honda dealers tried the same thing when the S2K came out. People at first were paying $35-40K when the sticker was $30K but that quickly subsided after the few "gotta have it at any cost" buyers had their way. Most people will not pay over sticker for any car.

I 'll say it again, at sticker price, a new Si is worth every penny but noone should have to pay more. Don't let the dealers take advantage of you. They feed on that. The more people that are willing to pay more than sticker the longer the dealers will demand top dollar for that car.
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
  • coolguy5coolguy5 Member Posts: 4
    I agree with you. S2000 is a real sports car with real performance & SI is way out of its league. For me, I would also pick an Integra Type-R over the new SI anytime.

To be honest, people buy the new SI because it is CHEAP. For people who want real performance & can afford to pay extra for luxury, they will go for S2000 or Type-R.
    Be honest, MidCow...instead of comparing performance with S2000 & Type-R, you made the SI sounds like my mom's "all purpose vehicle" :

Oh yes, I like the Civic SI because it is cheap, get good milage, can carry more people & have a roof....mmmmm.

Other than that, I have to agree with only1 harry that I will pick the S2000 & Type-R over the Civic SI anytime.

The S2000 is a performance car & not a mini van....I sense "sour grapes".
  • mtbridermtbrider Member Posts: 16
    Yes, it's unfortunate that such gouging occurs. I remember when the S2000 first came out that dealers were selling them--and very quickly, I might add--at close to $40K. Of course, dealers feed off some people whose "gotta-have-it-right-now" mentality ruins it, at least temporarily, for those who are not wanting to pay over MSRP. Eventually, though, the prices will come down, and I'll probably be looking at getting one in early '07.
    Regarding the Si vs. S2000 comparison...obviously, the S2000 is the clear winner in the performance category, and that's because it is in a different market segment. Not every car is designed to be blazingly fast.... though it's interesting how almost every year cars are getting more and more powerful. Is 500 HP for a car enough? The folks at Bugatti surely don't think so. "We just need more power to beat the competition." And so the HP wars continue. I'm sure we'll see close-to 300 HP Accords in the not-too-distant future. The Si is not a true sports car, though it is a truly "sporty" coupe with a good blend of performance and practicality. It just depends on what you're looking for.
    coolguy5,

Actually you didn't seem to follow the thread or the sarcasm implied. The S2000 and Civic Si have completley different demographics. Which doesn't mean that the S2000 is 5 times better as was previously stated.

The Integra GSR Type-R has not been available since 1998 or I might have bought one.

CHEAP is the wrong word to describe a Honda Civic Si, but it fits in with the rest of your diatribe. The Civic Si is less expensive, but I wouldn't go as far as to say the S2000 and especially the type-R are more luxurious, maybe more sporty. The Type-R doesn't even have air conditioning or cruise control; but at only 2,577 lbs with 195 Hp and a 8,500 RPM redline who cares!

The 2006 Civic Si will is a very-fun, practical car with pretty decent handling and performance. It is a SPORTS coupe.

Cheers,

MidCow

P.S.- Welcome to Edmunds forums, I guess.
    Be honest, people buy the Civic SI because of the price...CHEAP. If price is not object to them, there are a lot of REAL "sports coupes" on the market which are more fun, with better handling & performance.

LOL...you are using air conditioning & cruise control as your definition of "luxurious" to downgrade the type-R (S2000?) & upgrade your SI? Be reasonable, we are living in the modern world & it is hard to find a car without air conditioning in US (even for the cheapest economy car). Cruise control is not a "luxury", it is getting very common & is standard in many cars.

To be honest, down inside, Honda SI is just a Honda Civic...& the S2000 is a real "sports car". I do agree with only1harry that S2000 is "5 times the car the SI is" (& possibly more)....& I will choose the S2000 or type-R over the SI anytime.

But of course, if you have a limited budget & need a cheaper "sports coupe?" which can carry more people & get better gas milage, you will have to choose the SI.
    Whoosh!
  • lynerdlynerd Member Posts: 6
    thats steep i'am paying $360/6 months on a ex coupe manual trans, and have at least one ticket. I'am 43 so is the wife. We live near Portland Or.
    You 're starting to scare me a little Midnight. First you spelled VTEC wrong (VTECH) and usually a GSR owner knows how to spell that if anything because VTEC is on the little metal plate on the back of his/her car.. Then you said Integra GSRs and Type-Rs have not been been available since '98! Well they were sold up until May 2001! The Integra's replacement, the RSX, was an early '02 model released in the spring of '01.

I 'll have to correct you again. Only the '97 Type-R didn't have A/C. In '98 A/C was a dealer installed option for the Type-R. My brother's '98 ITR has A/C and in '00 & 01 models (there was no '99 Type-R otherwise I would 've bought one too but ended up with a '99 GSR) A/C was standard. The only reason behind the optional A/C or no A/C was to reduce weight. The Type-R was built for racing with reinforced larger diameter A, B, and C pillars and no sunroof for additional rigidity, plus a 100 other differences/improvements over the GSR which I won't go into. The interior material and seats, etc. in all Integras was and still is far more superior to that of the '06 Civic. Also my '99 GSR came with standard leather as did '00-01 models. The '06 Civic Si or non, is still an econo car with more plastic than I have ever seen in a Civic before and has average cloth seats at best. Also since you mentioned it, the S2000's interior looks and feels luxurious (comes standard with leather seats and has extra leather & wood trimming throughout!) and puts the Civic's interior to shame. The Type-R's special race seats with superb material and stitching and latteral support cost 2 grand $$ to buy new. I believe that's what Coolguy5 meant by luxurious, that plus the interior material of any Acura is much better than that of any Civic. Sorry I think we 've beaten this to death.
    Back to the Civic :) I 'm still waiting for my dealer to get a black coupe 5sp. in.
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
    Only1harry,

Thanks for the reply. Put down only VTEC because of "temple of VTEC", yes sgould have been VTECH. I agree paying over MSRP is not a good deal and a S2000 would be better. I had a 95 GSR with exhaust system, tires, AEM and it ran very well! The new Si meets my needs for a fun commuter car! I seriously considered a new S2000 but didn't want to spend the extra 10k$ Thanks again for your comments. Tried to look up specs and dates on last Type R, but consider the source Edmunds is flawed. I almost bought a white one in 1999; at the time had some extra money and bought a BMW M3.

Cheers,

MidCow
    You sounds quite mixed up......

If you are refering to Honda, only1harry is right...it should be VTEC (not VTECH). VTECH that you mentioned is the brand name of a CHEAP CORDLESS PHONE (in HongKong / China).

Although SI may be considered as a good commuter car, if you want to talk about fun & brag about performance, you will need to go for a S2000 (i.e. if you can spare that extra $10K).

There were no BMW M3 between year 1999 to 2002. If you almost bought a Type-R in 1999, but changed your mind to buy a BMW later on, it can not be a M3 (unless it is a used older model second hand car).
    Only1Harry and Coolguy5,

Last explanation,

Fast typing it was a typo with the H , should have been VTEC.

Don't really car whether a Si makes a performance statement to anyone else or not. It is what I want for a fun reliable commuter car that I will probably put 20K miles per year on.

Concerning the M3, It was a new 1998 (E36) Apline White 1998 sedan that I bought in December of 1998. At the time the 1999 Acura Integra Type R's were out and the Acura dealer had a white one available.

Concerning whether I could afford the extra $10K or not. My finances are none of your concern, but I bet if we compared I would be substantally higher than you on the assets scale.

Anyway, I have a 2006 Civic Si Coupe on order and that is what this discussion is about; it is not a comparison. If you want to further discuss comparions between a 2006 Honda Civic Si and a Honda S2000 or a Acutra Integra Type RI suggest you start a separate thread!

Have a goodday,

MidCow
This discussion has been closed.