Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac Escalade

Comments

• okphillipokphillip Member Posts: 5
    I hope gas hits $2.00 this summer so that people driving these big monstrosities like Navigators, Escalades, and Expeditions, have to pay $60.00 to fill up their tanks. These gas guzzlers are driving up gas prices for all of us. Hello! Increased demand on a commodity rises prices. These huge chunks of metal are impracticle and downright arrogant. I think people buy them due to some kind of inferiority complex. Oh I forgot it "gives the appearance of power and wealth". Give me a break!!!
  • mbml55amgmbml55amg Member Posts: 57
    BTW, why don't you join all the other whiney, uninformed "Anti-SUVers" losers in topic "2503". they offer much of the same useless dribble, over & over again, on a daily basis. I think you'd fit right in.
  • heartdoc1heartdoc1 Member Posts: 5
    We own a 1998 Chevrolet Tahoe LT with 59,000 miles and we really like the vehicle, but my wife wants something more, so we have been looking around at (upper-class)SUV's and have come across the Escalade which really sounds like a great vehicle. My brother just bought a 1999 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer and he has had nothing but problems including transmission, and steering, and we used to like the Navigator. Has reliability been pretty good?, and ride quality?, I really wouldn't think that it would be a whole lot different from that of the Tahoe. On the issue of gas prices, if you can fork out the money for the truck itself you would better have enough money to pay extra money in gas! If you have a problem with gas prices, go get a metro or something like that and don't make us feel like we make you drive gas guzzlers.
    Tim M.D.
  • gocaddygogocaddygo Member Posts: 4
    Well, in my first post I said that I would be picking my 2000 Escalade up in a few days... well, now I've had it almost a month and I LOVE IT!!! It rides like a dream and it's the most comfortable vehicle I've ever been in. Everyone that has seen it LOVES IT TOO! People stop me on the street and in parking lots just to see more... :)

I haven't even started my '97 Expedition since I picked up my Caddy.

LIFE IS GOOD.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    you may even want to put a
    FOR SALE sign on your Expedition. Who would want to drive that!! FORD the name says it all. There is absolutely no comparo between that and what you're driving now.

owner
    '00 Denali
    '00 Silverado
    Better yet... I'm giving my Expedition back to the dealer... it was just a lease. That way I won't have to take a loss... :)

Where do I go from here...
    At least,the Expedition does have rear disc brakes.
    have you driven a FORD lately?
  • powerisfunpowerisfun Member Posts: 358
    NEW GMC SUV TO DEBUT IN NEW YORK

The Big Apple is the setting for big news from GMC with the world-wide introduction of the all-new 2001 Yukon Denali at the New York Auto Show. GMC's full-size, upscale SUV is sure to impress attendees with unsurpassed levels of styling,
    improved capabilities and premium features in a true professional-grade package.

In addition to Yukon Denali, GMC will make world-wide introductions of two additional vehicles, that when combined with Denali, strengthen GMC's hold on the premium truck
    market and further heighten GM's full-size truck leadership.

The Yukon Denali features the most powerful engine in the half-ton, full-size utility segment - a new Vortec 6000 V8 that delivers 325-horsepower and 370 ft-lb of torque. The
    addition of a heavy-duty electronically controlled
    four-speed automatic transmission makes this powertrain combination highly responsive and quick reacting.

And, for the first time in a full-size SUV, Yukon Denali is equipped with a standard full-time all-wheel-drive system that provides superior handling and traction for varying
    road conditions without requiring extra effort from the driver. Handling also gets a boost from the standard
    AutoRide computer-controlled suspension system, which provides automatic variable shock damping on all four wheels. Yukon Denali is also the first full-size SUV to offer 17-inch wheels and tires to enhance the vehicle's smooth, quiet ride even further. Yukon Denali's new, unsurpassed powertrain plus it's great chassis gives new
    meaning to agility and control on any road.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    copied from
    http://www.generalmotors.com/cgi-bin/format_daily_news.pl on
    04-17-00
  • ladyblueladyblue Member Posts: 326
    Please just provide the link, without copy the actual article to this board. We wouldn't want to break any copywrite laws. Thanks.

ladyblue
    Community Leader/SUV Conference
  • alorenzalorenz Member Posts: 1
    2000 Escalade
    Purchased a new Escalade yesterday. Great ride and a lot more luxurious than the 97 Tahoe I traded on it. Negatives are the ridiculous location of the VCR! Location under the rear seat cushion would be OK, but when folding the seats flat for carrying cargo or luggage, the seat won't fold all the way down because it hits (and crushes) the VCR. Doesn't GM have Autocad to check this type of dimensional conflict? Absolutely embarassing for them! The TV antenna is two little wires which are supposed to be "glued down" to the drivers side cargo area window frame inside the car. The little stickers don't hold and the little wires "slap and rattle" as they hit the window while you drive. Great!!

The "On-Star" system on my new car is fully inoperable, though the dealer attempted to set it up for me in the proscribed manner. I discovered that the "Human voice" feature is really just an ordinary cell phone connection. You have to be within range of a GTE cell site to talk to an operator at "Onstar". The only message I get is that my system "is not authorized to use Onstar".

Other than the above "typically American car" quality problems, I really do like the car's ride and interior comfort, and the exterior styling and 'curb appeal' is quite nice. Learning that the Escalade does not have 4 wheel disc brakes was a shocker - after I had signed on the dotted line!
    the 5.7 should have been a hint that 4 wheel disk did not apply.
  • imfree00imfree00 Member Posts: 22
    I am tired of my father complaining that I drive a [non-permissible content removed] car. Dad, I say, as soon as our domestics equal German (and Japanese), I will once again be back in the domestic market. My German heritage means nothing in my choice of teutonic cars and my father can be excused because he is 87 years of age and landed at Normandy Beach (Omoha-Dog-Green, to be specific). I understand his position well and he is a dyed in the wool Caddy owner from way back. I ain't no youngster either but GM needs to go some distance before I will buy their product. No offense to those of you who have.
  • krob1krob1 Member Posts: 3
    I to purchased a 2000 Escalade and had the tv/vcr installed and was wondering if I was the only person having that problem with the antennas for the tv. Thanx for the heads-up on the vcr/folding seat situation, I haven't had to fold my seat down yet but at least I'll be prepared now. When they installed your tv did they remove your rear passengers side antenna ? They removed mine and now I'm having trouble picking up AM radio stations. Are you having the same trouble ?
    As you stated also I am very pleased with my Escalade, the interior is very luxurious and comfortable and the exterior is stylish & elegant. I rented a Navigator 2 weeks ago and I must admit, Caddie hands down ! The interior noise from the engine was a bit much and I kept feeling as though I were going to slip off the drivers seat. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and the fact is that no one car, truck or suv is perfect for everyone. It all comes down to preference and what we're willing to part with our hard earned $$$$ for !!!
  • michaelsolomonmichaelsolomon Member Posts: 7
    Dear Cadillac Escalade Owners,
    Thank you and congratulations on your purchase of a Cadillac Escalade. The 2000 Escalade's bold styling and ingenious technology is further supported by an Onboard Entertainment system. Reading through your comments about Onboard Entertainment - it looks as though you have participated in Escalade's recent Onboard Entertainment Marketing Promotion.
    We strive to provide our customers with the very best options. The Onboard Entertainment promotion offers a flip-down, high resolution 6.4" LCD monitor, Videocassette player unit, TV tuner, Infrared wireless headphones, Infrared remote control, auxiliary input jacks (DVD, camcorder or video game unit interface) and a for 4 years/ 50,000 miles warranty by Rosen Products, matching the vehicle warranty.
    We would like to collect you name and phone number to have someone verify the Onboard Entertainment unit is part of our promotion and that the installation was done correctly. While the VCP location does not meet your satisfaction - we believe you will truly value the functionality of the Onboard Entertainment system.

With regards to other Onboard Entertainment concerns you may have - please feel free to discuss them in detail when we contact you. We are sure that a great many of them can be resolved with some simple steps.

Once again, thank you for purchasing a Cadillac Escalade. Please forward me your name and contact information to michael.Solomon@gm.com so that I can put the appropriate person in touch with you.

Michael Solomon
    Escalade Brand Team
  • brankinbrankin Member Posts: 2
    Cadillac Escalade owners. If there are any warranty issues with your Rosen entertainment system in your Escalade please contact the dealership where you purchased it for warranty repairs or contact Brett at Rosen Products e-mail address - Brett.Rankin@rosenproducts.com. I will be glad to help you resolve any problems with your entertainment system.
  • dogdendogden Member Posts: 1
    Rob, you are obviously one of these environmentalist wacko extremists who want to tell everyone what they should drive when it's none of your concern. Mind your own damn business! If people want to drive SUVs, that's their right. God help us when the day comes when the government tells us what cars we can't drive (which you obviously want to happen). Btw, the Fod "admission" is nothing more than a politically correct statement by a manfacturer who has been kowtowed by extremists such as yourself.
    How funny is it that the manufacturer of the "EXCURSION" is listed as a resource by an Anti-SUVer...
  • thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    Enviromentalist wacos, that is what they are because they have their priorities mixed up, the world burns about 50 million barrel of oil per day, if all these barrels are put side by side they will take an area of 4,500 acres or 7.3 square miles and then set it on fire, it gives an idea of the tremendous fire, and an amount greater than that in coal, and who knows how much in wood, in the scheme of things the suv is a very small figure specially if one supplants then for small cars the net gain in conservancy is even smaller, so why not fuss about that great amount of fuel burnt first and as things improve work the way down to lesser things, just like fussing about a cigarrete and ignoring the billion ton CO2 atmosferic release.....he...
  • krob1krob1 Member Posts: 3
    On May 2,2000 I posted the problems I was experiencing with my Rosen Entertainment System and within days I received a personal response from Brett Rankin at Rosen. After describing my problems in detail Brett emailed me back an explanation and possible solution for these problems. After following Brett's advice the problem was solved. I was quite surprised at the quick & knowledgable response I received. It reminded me of the customer service of days gone bye. If anyone is experiencing problems with your Rosen system I strongly suggest that you contact Brett at Brett.Rankin@rosenproducts.com
    He is very knoledgable of his product and more than willing to assist with your concerns.Brett, if you should happen to view this thanx again for the great customer service.
  • bigmac8bigmac8 Member Posts: 3
    I am selling a 1999 Silver Sand Escalade with 16,000 miles for $38,500. This truck is in perfect shape and has all the extras including tinted windows all around, moon roof, custom front and back grills, factory wheels and tires and also a custom set of 17 inch Niche Bellas mounted on Firestone tires. This is a very nice truck but it is not a practical one when you work in DC. Let me know if you or anyone you know is interested. My e-mail address is ehayesc@yahoo.com
  • nava1nava1 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone seen or know of a website where I can see the 2001 escalade?
    Is it going to be redesigned?
  • ladyblueladyblue Member Posts: 326
    for "naval" and anyone else interested. I have gotten conflicting reports about the '01 Escalade.
    A few dealers here in SoCal are saying the '01 will be a '00 carryover with no major changes in favor of an all new Caddy SUV for '02. Others have said the '01 will follow the Denali but include a standard entertainment system. As it stands no one seems to have any solid info on the future of the Escalade.
    When did this promotion start? I purchased my Escalade March 2000 ??
  • bigm1bigm1 Member Posts: 10
    Dealer said there will be no 2001 Escalade models. The 2002 version will be out around February of 2001 so they will just skip the 2001 model year and call them 2002 models.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    the current issue of AutoWeek magazine. The front end looks grotesque. I will say this, from the from the front you won't confuse it with a Denali. That can't be said from any other angle though.

Bob
  • brankinbrankin Member Posts: 2
    Depending on where you live the promotion started a couple of months ago. e-mail me at brankin@rosenproducts.com and we can see if you qualify for the entertainment system.
  • ebrantley2ebrantley2 Member Posts: 1
    Help from Anyone

I have a '95 trooper ltd-ands sometimes the trans
    seems to slip & the check engine light comes on
    or the transmission light comes on. It seems as
    though it slip out of the 2wd, anyone know thhe
    problem
  • caddyman2caddyman2 Member Posts: 1
    If you think the Tahoe is less than an Escalade here are the numbers:
    For a 3 year lease: Tahoe $5000 total down payment, $619 per month.(I was getting the Tahoe $3000 below factory invoice of $41,600)
    For a 3 year lease: Escalade $4600 total down and $579 per month.
    You don't have to be a rocket scientest to know which is more. The Escalade rides better than my other Cadillac.
  • lukezeuslukezeus Member Posts: 4
    HELP! Stop me from buying a 2000 Navigator today ! Details on 2001 Escalade ??? ex. availability date, navig. system, moonroof, 3 rd seat, nite vision, center row side airbags, etc. THANKS!!!
  • anonymousanonymous Member Posts: 314
    HELP !!! Stop me from buying a 2000 navigator TODAY!!! Details on 2001 escalade ??? ex. avail. date, possible night vision, 3 rd seat, center row airbags, ent. center., h.p., moonroof , etc... THANKS!!!
  • tsmocktsmock Member Posts: 1
    I have had my new 2000 Escalade for 3 weeks...I live in the Atlanta area, at best I have been successful in connecting with OnStar in 1 out of 10 attempts.Today I had my SECOND tire blow out and could not get through to OnStar, I tried for over 45 minutes with continuous busy signal....very disappointing. The tire situation is one I would like to hear more about...are others having similar issues with tires?
  • onlyhummeronlyhummer Member Posts: 1
    Review my comments made early may #171, regarding tires. I replaced all four tires to a more durable "D" load rated tire and haven't had a flat or blow out since. I agree with On-Star you're much better off with a personal cell phone which is easier to put in your pocket and cheaper than On-Star. I stayed with Goodyear tires but went to more aggresive treads. The Caddy dealers in this town told me too bad however bravo Goodyear as they gave me a new set of tires and understood the frustration I was exhibiting.
  • zinheadzinhead Member Posts: 4
    I like Caddy's new front end styling on thier cars. It meshes well with the front end of thier LeMans prototype (as if any of thier regular customers cared about the race). Buy grafting that grill and headlights onto the Suburban platform makes the new 2001 Caddy SUV of the ugliest vehicles on the road. IMHO of course.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    #193 was scribbled because it contained a copyrighted photo. Please read the User Agreement for clarification concerning copyrighted material.

KarenS
    Edmunds.com Town Hall Host
  • pahnke23pahnke23 Member Posts: 6
    Can anyone help?
  • lxownrlxownr Member Posts: 16
    Lexus LX470 or Toyota Landcruiser, at least they do not depreciate $15,000. the first year...
    Read Edmunds Road Test Of Luxury S.U.V.
    Escalade came in dead last !!!!!!!!!!
  • coldhardcashcoldhardcash Member Posts: 13
    That american SUV's are a personal preferance of mine, althought the new escalade will definitely not be on my driveway. The Denali is much better looking.
  • hilbyhilby Member Posts: 1
    My new 2000 Escalade is really junk. I love the looks and interior, however, it has been in the shop more than in my garage. The vibration at high speeds is horrendous, making the vehicle difficult to control. It's been in the dealer five times for this and it's only getting worse. The front end has been aligned twice and I'm having electrical problems. The car has less than 8000 miles. My 1994 Explorer literally rides better than the Escalade. If GM would trade me for a top of the line Tahoe, I'd say "Adios" in a second. However, GM is playing Ostrich over this.
  • tamcotamco Member Posts: 40
    So you want to see photos....Go to the www.cadillac.com site click on United Staes then click on 2002 Escalade preview: lower left hand corner...2002 specs, photos, 360 degree tour etc....all new chasis, motor, sheet metal....definatelly not a TAHOE/ Daneli. Bold new EVOQ look, eight passenger bomb . Also in Motor Trend Sept issue. Trust this will get you on the right track....orders being accepted in Dec....Best of luckin your Quest.TAMCO
  • stannova1stannova1 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a new 2000 Escalade with only a couple of reservations.

Why it there no trip computer? Can one be added?

What is the best and most affordable way to have a cellular phone with a hands free speaker phone installed?

All input appreciated.

Stannova1
  • tamcotamco Member Posts: 40
    Did fellows/ gals note the Home page of Edmunds...click on 2002 Escalade. Great article. TAMCO
  • mrzangmrzang Member Posts: 4
    I think it is ridiculous that someone has put the name Cadillac on a Tahoe, marked it up about $15K and people are actually buying it. Anyone want to buy a bridge or some Ocean-front property in North Dakota?
  • gaskinsgaskins Member Posts: 8
    from the strategy that any profitable car company employs. The same could be said about Lexus and Toyota, Jaguar and Lincoln, Lincoln and Ford, Volkswagen and Audi, and the upcoming Porsche(Cayenne) and Volkswagen(Colorado). Platform engineering is not new, nor is it a rip off. The upgrades in engine, suspension, electrical wiring, features, and other content are worth the higher price alone. The Caddy can be perceived as a bargain, especially considering that the 2002 will offer many of the same and in some instances more specs than it's often higher priced and smaller sized rivals. I know size is subjective, but you get a whole lot of vehicle with substantial presence for the same or less than a BMW X5 4.4, ML430, or Range Rover. The new Caddy will be a run away success. It won't handle like it's smaller rivals, but it will cosset and pamper its owner in a manner that only large luxury sedans and the Lexus LX470 can rival at a price that is $20-$50K cheaper.

It will go a long way towards repositioning/reestablishing the brand with influential young influencers. Entertainers, athletes, and young executives as recently as 2 years ago would have laughed at the notion of getting a Caddy. Now, the Escalade will be in the same garages and valets of trendy hot spots parked next to 911's, S500's, S600's, CLK's, CL's, 7's, Jag's, Range Rovers, and other luxury vehicles. The Escalade will put the Caddy back in the same frame of reference as those vehicles. That is a significant development that further validates GM's decision to create Cadillac versions of their SUV's/Trucks. The result will be younger customers more open to the possibility of seriously considering other Caddy products like the Evoq and Imag. That will be a serious win for Caddillac and American Luxury in general.
    The new Escalade will be a run away failure, not success, just like the current one.

GM wants Cadillac to compete with the best the SUVs in the world. The Escalade just doesn't cut the mustard. All it does is reinforce the long-standing image of Cadillac being a huge "soft," American luxury barge, with little in the way of technical or engineering innovation. It is no way, state-of-the-art, or cutting edge.

Where's the 5-speed automatic transmission? Where's the Northstar engine? Where's the independent rear suspension? Where's the fold into-the-floor third rear seat? What happened to the low range in the transfer case? It used to be there! Okay, so it's got the On-Star system. Big deal.

The Japanese and especially the Europeans are light years ahead of Cadillac when it come to innovation.

If this is the "Best" GM can offer, the future's for GM is not looking great. And, as usual, Cadillac is the follower -- not the leader.

Bob
  • tccad1tccad1 Member Posts: 46
    Wow! I never met someone quite like you. Well thought out post RS. Too bad you are wrong on so many levels. No Northstar? It is very tough to re-engineer the best engine in the world to a rear wheel drive model instead of front. Third seats? Like the useless ones in the Durango and the Navigator? Have you actually sat in one? If yes, how tall are you? 3'7"? I for one am glad they didn't. I do agree with you on one point. It is a tahoe. I am sorry to all the 99 and 00 escalade owners, but it is true. Forget the fact that everything is standard on the caddy like the front and rear heated seats, the nicer leather, the best suspension using Bilstien shocks, the free onstar, the longer warranty, the 7 disc cd changer, the Bose radio, the built in TV and VCP, and the body cladding. Never mind the fact that there are certain perks because it is a Cadillac and not a Chevy. The only thing Cadillac did wrong with this truck is bring it out after the Navigator. Now, when the 02's hit the ground, I would be interested to see what you think of it? Seeing as it will blow everything else in the market away with standard equipment like the 345 HP motor, Stabilitrac, Auto leveling, rear air AND a sunroof (try getting that in any other sport utility), your third row fold away rear seats, and keep the price about the same. But, like I said RS, you are entitled to your opinions regardless of how wrong they are.
  • tccad1tccad1 Member Posts: 46
    Sorry, that should have been address to RSHolland and Mrzang. Mrzang is the fool who thinks the Caddy is a tahoe marked up 15 grand. My apologies RS.
    It figures. Your response is typical of Caddy owners who always seem to be in denial.

I repeat:

Where's the 5-speed automatic that Acura, Mercedes and BMW have?

Where's the IRS that Acura, Lexus RX300, Mercedes and BMW have?

Where's the split folding-into-the-floor third rear seat the Acura MDX has?

Lincoln is NOT the target. Mercedes, BMW, Acura and Lexus are, if you want to be considered "world-class." All those brands offer more "high-tech" engineering than does the Escalade.

Yes, I have seen and read about the new 2002 Escalade. It doesn't impress.

Bob
  • coldhardcashcoldhardcash Member Posts: 13
    I for one like the image of a large american SUV. BE it either one, they have more interior space, more power, better looks (in my opinion) and just the right status implied on people who I know. If you like the Smaller import SUV's then please state so in their own forums. (I own a 4 runner) I don't like it very much. But this isn't the place for that.
    This is a discussion board, not a fan club. That means both positive and negative opinions are welcome.

My point is this: Cadillac and Lincoln are supposed to be the best that America can offer in terms of luxury, engineering, whatever... They've got the luxury end nailed. Always have. But that's it. Period. Both Cadillac and Lincoln cars are finally starting to make inroads as being considered "world class." The SUVs have a long way to go before achieving that status.

I am willing to bet anyone, that when we start reading comparison tests (be it Consumer Reports, Edmund's or the auto/SUV buff books) between the Escalade and the other "premium" SUVs, that the Escalade will continue to be at, or near, the bottom. It will be good at being luxurious -- which is a given. It will be middle-of-the-road to poor in all other areas of performance. I'm talking about all around performance, not just what 345 HP can do in a straight line.

If you like GM's definition of what a luxury SUV should be, fine. I don't, and will continue to speak out. If that offends you, too bad.

Bob