Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac Escalade

Comments

• robh3robh3 Member Posts: 157
    Well, I agree with Gaskins and ttcad here.

The only thing Caddy did wrong was wait too long to enter the luxury truck market. They admit to that, know they are behind, and as such are about to introduce several hot new SUVs over the course of the next 3 years (and beyond if the market still demands).

The first generation Escalade makes no apologies for being an upgraded Denali. The Navigator, LX470, QX4, and several others are upgraded models of lesser "sister" vehicles. Why a large number of people seem to point out the Escalade for its lesser roots, as if it's the only vehicle of its kind to have such a lineage, I do not understand.

The current Escalade has already brought in younger buyers to Cadillac showrooms, and yes, including enough people in the entertainment industry to be relevant and countable. He'll remain nameless here, but I have a relative in the entertainment industry in his low 30's who bought an Escalade and could afford essentially any damn vehicle he wants. He chose the Escalade...a Cadillac.

Regarding the Edmunds review of the new '02 Escalade, given that these guys have seemingly gone out of their way to find things wrong with any other Cadillac they have tested and written about, the fact that they were so impressed with the new Escalade that they say it is equal to, if not better than, the other luxury SUVs, both import and domestic, speaks volumes. Frankly, I was amazed when I read it, and excited, since the '02 Escalade really represents the first of the "new breed" of Cadillac vehicles that will begin to be introduced for the '02 model year.

Anyway, as of now all we can do is speculate as to how the consumer market will react to the new '02 Escalade. I have a feeling that we'll be seeing a lot more Escalades hitting the road, and a lot of them will be "suped up" with aftermarket goodies that'll make them look even hotter. This will be a very profitable vehicle for Cadillac, and it will set new standards in many areas for the large luxury SUV market.

Competition is good. All of us consumers win in the end.

Like it or not, Cadillacs are becoming cool again.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    You've made a number of valid points. Excellent post.

Your comments regarding the Navigator, LX470, QX4, are absolutely true. You can also add the Acura STX to that list. I'm not a fan of those models either. I don't like "badge engineering" in any way, shape or form. You can argue, and rightfully so, that this is the easiest, cheapest and quickest way to bring a new model to market. The problem is -- no matter how much you dress it up -- you still end up with a mediocre product -- because its roots (which you can't change) are mediocre to begin with.

Of those other badge-engineered vehicles I have hope (strong hope) for the next Navigator, which is due out in a couple of years. From what I've read so far, it will have many of the features the current models "should" have right now.

The excellent 2002 Explorer is a good tip-off as to what you can expect to find on the next Navigator. It will have virtually all the items (that I feel should be there) that are currently missing from the current Navigator, Escalade, etc. It will have IRS, a roomy, easy-to-access and fold-away third seat, and most likely a 5-speed automatic. All of these features will make it a class-leading vehicle. Yes the next Expedition will also have many, if not all those features. The difference is that the next Navigator will start off using a much more sophisticated platform to begin with.

Bob
  • tccad1tccad1 Member Posts: 46
    I have to apologize for the earlier post. To come out attacking was wrong. I guess I was just having a bad day.

The only real problem I see with your conclusion is that you are comparing vehicles that were built off of car chassis. The ML is a product of the E class. The X5 is a tall 5 series. What would happen if they but bigger tires on an STS and called it an SUV? No one could come close to the technology. I have driven (BTW, I am not an owner of a Cadillac, I run a dealership) all the inports for a good spin. I have to say that I do like the trucks. I use the term truck VERY loosely though. After all, they are still just big, tall cars. When the new 02 escalade hits, the technology will be greater than anything else out there. Stabilitrac in a sport ute?!? So they won't have a 5 speed tranny. Being able to pull 8700 pounds in complete luxury and safety doesn't require 5 gears. Besides, for the most part, the only thing a 5 speed does for you is give you more torque off the line because of the lower gear ratio in first. Not really needed.

I can say that interest in the vehicle is tremondous and Cadillac is accomodating that. I currently have 6 orders for them. All at list plus (whatever it might be). One of the orders is for a gentleman that had to extend the lease on his current escalade 6 months. This is unheard of on a GMAC lease. 2 month extensions are usually the most. Cadillac expects big things with this new one. So do I.

Again, I have to apologize for the scathing post earlier. As most people here such as Robh knows, I don't like to do that. Everyone has, and is entitled to, their own opinions.
    No apology is necessary. My comments are directed at getting better products made. I have no ax to grind with Cadillac. I just want to see the best Cadillac SUV possible. From what I've seen of their future product with cars, they seem to be headed in the right direction. I do wish, however, that they would embrace AWD (for "ALL" their cars) like Subaru has. If they did, I would be singing nothing but praise for Cadillac.

I take exception with your comment about the ML Mercedes being built off the E-Class chassis. That's just not true. The ML has a full-frame chassis. The E-Class is a unit-body design. Granted, it does share some components with the E-Class, but not the chassis.

I'm glad you mentioned the M-Class however. I have felt from day one that this vehicle would be the blueprint for future SUVs. I still do, in spite of numerous problems that the M-Class has encountered to date. As I mentioned, it has a full-frame, truck-like chassis, yet employs a car-like independent rear suspension. It also is the only "new-generation" SUV that continues to have a low range in the transfer case. I've noticed that the new 2002 Escalade has abandoned the low range. This is a mistake on Caddy's part. I am convinced that if an SUV is to truly be an SUV, a low range needs to be part of the package -- even if it's only used once a year -- it needs to be there.

I'm sure that when Mercedes introduces its next-generation ML, which is due around MY 2004, it will again raise the bar for this type of vehicle. I wish I could plug Cadillac's name in the above sentence, but to date, I've seen no evidence of that.

Bob
  • gaskinsgaskins Member Posts: 8
    The M-Class does deliver advanced engineering and technology at an affordable price, but it has lessened the value of the Mercedes star. As a current Mercedes owner, I tried hard to make myself like the M-Class, but to no avail. Plain and simple, the M-Class is a lemon. It's build quality is worse than an Isuzu Rodeo - Check Consumer Reports. I know you referenced comparison tests on SUV's and the Escalade finishing near or at the bottom of the list. Well the same can be said for the M-Class. I know styling is mostly subjective, but the M does not have the same presence or prestige of other Mercedes. Even the entry level C-class surpasses the M in ergonomics, build quality, styling, and overall panache.

The Acura MDX has great features and technology, but it suffers from the same condition as most Japanese luxury vehicles--It has no soul.

The current Caddy was clearly an attempt to get product to the market as quickly as possible in the most profitable segment. It has serious shortcomings, but it has succeeded in bringing younger, wealthier people to the Cadillac Marquee. When Caddy modified the Tahoe platform, they were aiming squarely at the Lincoln Navigator and to a lesser extent Lexus LX470. The Acura, M-Class, X5, RX300, and Infiniti were never intended targets. They are not even in the same category. Not only are they smaller, they are also hybrid vehicles intended for different buyers and purposes.

The 02' Escalade will be even more successful for Cadillac because it will have the engineering and technology to rival all Full size luxury SUV's. It will provide the third row seating, stabilitrac, and the presence/prestige that discerning buyers demand.

The 2005 M-Class will also address most of the current M's shortcomings, but unfortunately most buyers can't afford to wait that long.
    I'm well aware of the M-Class's shortcomings, as I alluded to. The problems are in execution, not in concept. I am hoping, as I am sure are too, that these issues will have been rectified by the time the next-generation M-Class hits the streets.

I agree with you regarding the Acura MDX. I will also add that it too lacks a low range, and I believe(?) also comes with a temp spare tire, which is absurd in an SUV.

From what I've read, it sounds like the updated Navigator, which should debut on or around 2003, will be the leading "American" luxury SUV. All, or most of what I feel is lacking in the Escalade, will be featured on this vehicle.

Bob
    The last three or four post have got to represent the most "ideal" type of dialogue Edmunds ever intended when they created this "Townhall" forum. I love it; Objective and meaningful discussion!

Truthfuly, I am not even an SUV fan. But, I am a Cadillac fan. It has taken me all these years to figure out what the heck all the buzz is about with these overpriced, gas guzzling, tip-over prone vehicles called "utility" vehicles that most people never take off the freeways and city streets!

Having come to terms with the fact that the SUV craze just won't seem to die, I have also come to terms with the fact that the next generation Escalade will certainly open the doors to Cadillac dealerships even wider than than the 1st generation one has. Combine that with the new "near luxury" CTS that will debut in '02 (is it '02 or '03?), and things are certain to start changing in the Cadillac realm!

By the way, I have not ever said that I will NEVER own an SUV. Ya' never know...
    For those who are looking for more pictures of the new Escalade, go to this site, and in the SEARCH area type in "Escalade."

Bob

http://www.wieck.com/public/index.html
    Go to www.cadillac.com Click on the link for United states. Go to bottom left hand corner and click on link to "All New 2002 Escalade". They have 360 degree view of the exterior and interior, show how the rear seats move, have detailed info on options available, and many other things. Worth a look.
  • lnava43lnava43 Member Posts: 3
    Anyone know the MSRP on the 2002 Escalade?
    2WD $$$$?
    AWD $$$$?
    Since the AWD Denali is listing for 48,900, my guess would be around 53-54 range for AWD, and 50 for 2WD. Strictly a guess though. As soon as I have more info, I will post it here
    Just got the dealer info package on the new escalade. It has more equipment that originally thought. Yes, it will be coming in AWD with 345 hp. However, what I didn't realize is that it WILL have a low range to it. It is a matter of pushing a button on the gear shifter. I can't wait for this one to hit the ground. Already have four other people that can't either!
  • sevenfeet0sevenfeet0 Member Posts: 486
    I agree the new Escalade looks to be worlds apart from its predecessor. I do have a couple of nitpicks after reading Caddy's website.

First, despite the new sound system and instrument cluster, the radio and climate control still looks like it's from the Tahoe/Yukon parts bin.

Second, in an age where all Sevilles, Eldos, DHSs, DTSs all have Zebrano wood, is anyone else bothered by the fact that the Escalade's dash is fake wood (although the steering wheel is real wood)?

Third, I know that tccad1 commented on the difficulty of adapting the Northstar to a rear wheel drive platform. Well maybe, but the Evoq will be that configuration. Of course that design team has a little more time to get the job done. Also, using the Vortec design means Caddy doesn't have to spend the money making a completely new transmission to go with it, which the Northstar would have demanded. Still, with Caddy products going RWD in the new few years, you gotta bite the bullet and spend the money to develop this sometime. The Northstar has been an extremely successful engineering and marketing platform for Cadillac. It's a shame not to use it in all applications possible.

Lastly, it's too bad the "It's good to be the Cadillac" ad campaign was done away with. The slogan alone rocked. And I still think the name "Escalade" is lame. My pick? The Cadillac Ranch :-)
  • mbml55amgmbml55amg Member Posts: 57
    As excellent as the Northstar platform is, in a vehicle that demands the flexibility to tow 7500 lbs today, & quietly sneak around town tomorrow, I wonder if the torque band inherent to the LS1 based engines, presently being used, doesn't offer significant advantages.
    If what you're saying about the new Escalade
    having a low range is true, that's good news.
    Everything I've read to date, said that it would
    NOT have a low range.

The new upscale GMC C-pickups and Denali SUVs are
    reported to have AWD w/o a low range. I'm under
    the impression that this is the same system that's
    going in the Escalade. Am I wrong?

If the low range is button-operated, they're
    probably using the same "AutoTrac" transfer case
    that's used in the Tahoe, etc.

Bob
    I am at home writing this post, and will have to get the info tomorrow afternoon. The low range button called the "tow/haul" will allow for easier shifts to the transmission and allow for the 8700 pound capacity. I want to say they are using a different trans then the tahoe/yukon also. I can't remember the alphanumeric code off the top of my head.

sevenfoot0: Actually, I just got an internal memo stating that as of right now, the deville will remain front wheel drive. The evoq is using a new version of the northstar. One that has been properly modified to allow for the RWD. The Seville will use the same engine in 2003. And sadly, yes, it will not have an auto climate control (grrrr! Bad mistake). The audio system will be upgraded (I believe) to a 250 watt 11 speaker bose system. They tested it and said it is capable of sustaining 110 db. A jet engine is 130 db. A lawn mower is 90 db. My guess is they won't put that stereo in the other suv's.
    That's different from a low range. In most vehicles, it simply means higher shift points (higher up the rpm scale before up-shifting), and may(?) also lock out the top overdrive gear.

It is not a low range, in that it does not offer a lower set of gear ratios, that a true duel-range transfer case offers.

A tow/haul feature is nice, but it is not a replacement for a low range. If I had my choice, I'd much rather have a true low range.

Bob
    However, I do believe that it will be using a different set of gear ratios to accomplish the low range. Keep in mind, I only had a 2 sentence blurb to form my opinion. Sounds like it will be a combo of the two the more I read it. I guess I will just have to drive it to see. If it snaps my neck while in tow/haul mode, it has low range. What else could possibly happen with 345 horsies!
    RS, you might be correct. They mention the two speed transfer case on the MB and LX470. They don't say anything about a two speed transfer case on the escalade. I guess I jumped the gun again. Thanks for pointing it out Rob. Jeff
    I think having AWD is definitely the way to go,
    same with the tow/haul mode, but not having a low
    range is a mistake. BMW and Acura have made the same mistake with their X-5 and MDX, no low range available.

If I'm paying that kind of money for a vehicle, I want to know I can get out of virtually any situation that I would encounter. Having a low range is like additional insurance when push-comes-to-shove. The Navigator, Land Cruiser/RX470, Range Rover and ML Mercedes are the only luxury SUVs that fit the bill, as far as I'm concerned.

Bob
    Just recieved the official caddy brochure for the truck yesterday. It does exactly what you say, no low range. However, and I am no expert on this, isn't it the torque that gets you out of a tight jam? That is all the low range does. If this vehicle can pull 8500 pounds using 385 torque at 4000 rpm, I would imagine that it can get you out of some tight jams. With the computers they are using today, the split is 32/68 front to back on power until it senses one of the wheels losing control. It then puts the power to one or more of the other wheels to regain a proper footing. I realize this truck is not meant for off road use. I know you would be crazy to go strutting around in Moab with it. I still think low range might be overkill on this truck.
    Yes, torque is very important in term of getting you moving. What low range does -- it multiplys the torque factor, in effect giving you more torque for difficult conditions.

I don't thinks it's overkill. The Suburban offers the same engine - with a low range. I think the Tahoe does too (same engine/low range). The Navigator, the Escalade's closest competitor, also has a low range.

Again, Cadillac is GM's premium brand. "Overkill" should be part of the package. That's what Cadillac customers pay for.

Bob
  • thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    If you are pulling a heavy load up a steep incline, there is no substitute for a low range.
    I just think Cadillac is betting that most of their customers won't be pulling heavy loads, or put their Escalades in really tough situations.

I honestly think, most people who pull heavy (boat/horse/car) trailers - and who really understand trailering - are going to opt for a vehicle that gives them a low range, for just those situations described in post #239.

I think most Escalades will be used as foul-weather vehicles. And frankly, if that's the case, a Subaru, a Mercedes 4-Matic, a Volvo V-70 Cross Country or an Audi Quattro, would be far more sensible choices. For what it's worth, I have two Subarus and an Explorer, and I much prefer to drive the Subarus in the snow than the Explorer.

Bob
    In all sincerity, most (90%+) of the escalade buyers don't ever pull anything with their vehicles. For that matter, most won't ever be put through anything worse than a pot hole either. Only thing I can figure is that Cadillac knows this, has accepted it, and is going through with it. They must think that the number of customers they will lose doesn't outweigh the number they will gain by lack of knowledge. Let's face it, the AVERAGE consumer doesn't care what it has as long as someone tells them it is good in the snow.
    I agree completely. And... that's my big problem
    with Cadillac.

I go back to my original point, which got everyone
    upset, and that is: Cadillac has given in to be
    "average" (and not superior) on this item. Cadillac should be building the best SUV it's capable of, not compromising to be less than they can be.

The Escalade's demographics/usage aren't that much
    different from those of the Lexus RX470, or
    the Range Rover, or the Navigator. Yet those
    vehicles didn't compromise like Cadillac did.

Again, as I stated in post #240, there are better and more sensible "snow vehicles" than the Escalade, or the other luxury SUVs out there -- and that's the numerous AWD cars that are available.

If Cadillac "really" wants to stand out (and be superior) from the crowd, they should make all (not some, but ALL!) their vehicles AWD. Maybe that's why GM just bought 20% of Subaru? It's no secret that GM wants Subaru's AWD technology for future GM products. Although I've heard rumors it may go into future Saabs, it should also go into future Cadillacs.

Bob
    I dont know how much an Scalade cost, I magine at least in the 40's, since we are dealing with an SUV it should have at least AWD and deep reduction, (or low range), and I am not talking about off roading, no one is going to to take an expensive luxury vehicle and trash it about in the wilderness, I have an ML430 and would not do it, but in the sense that one is purchasing a vehicle that is supossed to be more capable than a sedan, not just to seat higher.

Remember the old saying, Is better to have and not need, than need and not have.
    Agreed!

Bob
    Most people who have an SUV meet the criteria of the old saying you shared, that is; they HAVE an SUV, but they do not NEED an SUV/truck of any type. Simple as that.

The new '02 Escalade will be the top selling high-end luxury SUV because it will appeal to the masses of those who are in the market for such a vehicle by virtue of its features, power, towingf capability, style, comfort, new/uniqueness, and yes, "pinache". No sense in adding stuff that will not be used in the real world (other than perhaps for bragging rights) that will only add more to the cost. This SUV will be priced right to sway people away from the Navigators and Land Cruisers/RX470's of the world.

I see a winner coming and I am frankly not even an SUV fan. Am I biased, yes, but if someone where to tell me that my only choice in vehicles was among all of the luxury SUVs, I'd choose the '02 Escalade based on what I have seen and know about the choices out there.
    has just bumped up production on it. I should start to see them in Mid February now. The current Escalade will be built in VERY small numbers until end of November, beginning of December. And Thor8, I agree. I do wish that cadillac put in a low range. However, like Robh said, that would just add to the cost. Seems we agree and disagree on the low range issue. That is why they have these boards.
    Less than 3 years ago the wife and I, while towing two jet skies with my pickup while driving along the gulf coast decided to go off the road, park in the sand and explore the beach behind the sand dunes, needless to say I got stuck, in a desolated place, a couple of hours later help came, after huffing and puffing in the sand for a long time, just that inocently things can happen.

I also obverved in a particular marina I frequent a lot, how many times a pickup can not pull on the steep slipery incline the boat on tow, the wheels are spinning too fast and smoking, the good thing is that there are always lots people and they help each other, but what if one comes in an off day or after hours?

For these reasons I decided to get the ML430, not for off roading, but because of personal experience, I decided I wanted AWD, traction control and a low range, in this particular marina I can come out easily, the low range in first gear is so slow that it truly is a creeping gear and will not break the grip of the tires.

Please, I am not advocating the ML, I know this is an escalade topic and I respect that, I just want to point out the benefits of these features, maybe if enough prospective buyers let their feelings known..... is like insurance, it sooths the mind or again, is better to have and not need than need and not have.

Reading prior postings, if cost is a factor, why not eliminate some frugals and add a more utilitarian feature. I ask, an SUV being what it is, what is the harm in having these features, is it not better in having substance behind the vehicle too?

Again, I am not brand advocating, just pointing the merits of a feature that I fell strongly about.(Obviously)

Enjoy,
    I also own an M Class, presently an ML55, previously an ML430 & am glad these vehicles have a 2-speed transfer case. As the previous post(er) does with his M Class, I tow my Waverunners & use Low Range extensively when launching. It is very nice to be able to creep up steep ramps with Zero wheelspin. But, to keep everything in perspective I also have a Suburban I occasionaly tow the skis with, 454 engine 2WD with a locking rear differential, it will also creep up these ramps without spinning a tire using the abundant low end torque to literally idle up & away. I have a 2001 Denali XL ordered & am glad to see the new AWD system used & seriously doubt I'll ever miss the 2-speed transfer case. (If I indeed need Low Range, I'll just use the ML55 that day!) I will not be using the Denali to tow an 8,500 lb. trailer over the Rockies either, if this was my objective, the 3/4 ton Yukon XL with 4WD, the 2-speed transfer case, & the 8.1L engine would be my choice, or possibly the Diesel with the Aliison trans.! With all that said, I gladly chose the Denali over the 3/4 ton & believe it will exceed my demands, as the Escalade will the demands of it's owners. Thank you for your time.
    Sorry, I misspelled "Allison" trans. in the previous post.
  • fullsizefullsize Member Posts: 14
    I'm sorry. The front end on this thing (Escalade) is just plain ugly. No. It's not "plain" ugly. It's extra-special ugly. Someone in GM's exterior design department took too many experimental drugs in college, or something. And this is coming from a HUGE Tahoe/Yukon fan. Isn't this the same hideous headlight design that Cadillac's putting on the DeVille now?

p.s. I saw an Aztec today. Wow. Those must have been some good mushrooms.
  • glamourlifeglamourlife Member Posts: 49
    I happen to really like the styling of the "02 Escalade. I think that is one of it's strongest suits. The same thing goes for the redesign of the Deville. That sedan represented a quantum leap for Cadillac styling, especially the front end.

The new designs from Caddy are sleeker and some of the best designs from GM in years.
    So Tina, let me understand, you find the '02 Escalade sleek looking? If that is true, then styling must indeed be subjective. I find the Escalade an extremely interesting vehicle with many innovative features. The front end styling however I find is it's weakest point, by far. It may be that when I see the actual vehicle I'll feel differently, but for now I'll stick with my initial review; "Anyone who can afford an Escalade, should be able to buy an Aztek to park beside it, the Aztek (I hope you don't find it sleek as well, Tina) is SOO extremely ugly, that by direct comparison the Escalade will appear, dare I say, even attractive!"
    Cadillac is trying to apply the new design direction of their cars to a (already designed, and in production) truck. It's the 4WD equivalent of the square-peg-in-the-round-hole. It flat out does not work.

I do like the new styling direction that has been shown on their recent concept cars. In fact, I think it's excellent - and I've been a graphic designer for nearly 30 years, so I "know" something about design (what works, what doesn't, and why).

The softly rounded shapes of the Tahoe/Suburban's main structure (doors, windows, etc.) do not mesh with the razor-edge shapes/creases that Cadillac is using on their cars. The styling really looks "forced," and not at all natural.

It looks like exactly what it is: A Tahoe (sorry, a Denali) with Caddy frosting.

Bob
    the new Escalade is one of the nicest looking trucks. I do like the engineering and technology of the Mercedes and BMW more, but the Mercedes is "funny looking" and the BMW is too small. I have not seen the Escalade in person, but the pictures my husband has shown me in magazines, and the layout on the website looks great.

We are waiting to see the Escalade in person though. All of the negative posts have really made me want to see it in person. My husband is the kind of person that wants the latest greatest vehicles as soon as they come out. We looked hard at the BMW before it came out. We loved the test drive, but felt that the truck was not worth anywhere near $60,000.

As for the Aztek comment, I think the Mercedes looks more like the Aztek than the Cadillac. Both give the appearance of a minivan. The nicest looking trucks in my opinion are the big Lexus 470, the Range Rover, and the Escalade.
  • cwmartincwmartin Member Posts: 89
    The new Escalade front end reminds me of the evil 18 wheeler in the movie Maximum Overdrive. The SUV looks worse in black than it does in other colors. In fact the pictures I have on my web site (http://suv.s5.com) of the Escalade in silver, make the front end look more acceptable. But I must say that I prefer the front end of my 2000 Fire Red Yukon the best of all.
  • lnava43lnava43 Member Posts: 3
    Anyone know the MSRP on the 2002 Escalade?
    2WD $$$$?
    AWD $$$$?
  • jarrettwjarrettw Member Posts: 14
    AWD - 49,990 from Cadillacs site. Not sure of the 2WD.
  • cwmartincwmartin Member Posts: 89
    I have added several new polls to the GMSUV forum at http://www.delphi.com/GMSUV as well as a new section just to house the polls.

If anyone has a suggestion for a poll question, please feel free to send it to me.

Clifford Martin
  • sevenfeet0sevenfeet0 Member Posts: 486
    I was nosing around the Caddy website, and there's a page for getting info on the Escalade EXT, whenever they decide to release it. Did I miss something? I've seen no reference for a different Escalade trim package until now. Does anyone know anything about it? Or is it a completely different vehicle (a la Lincoln Blackwood)? Tccad1, any ideas?
    From what I have read in auto magazines, the Escalade EXT is the Lincoln Blackwood killer. It'll be a lucury "pickup truck" based on the Escalade. ...An amazing change taking place at Cadillac!
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Been reading in many different magazines about the '02 Escalade and it is getting great reviews everywhere. With gas prices expected to fall in the new year, these new Cadillacs should fly out of the dealer lots.
    Any Dealer sightings yet? Is the January 2nd for sale date still a go?
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    You guys getting the new 2002 Escalade will benefit from GM's part ownership of Isuzu :) You'll be getting the power folding mirrors that our Troopers have had for years! (The Mercedes ML and Range Rovers also have em) They are one of the best things for todays SUVs. I know that I use them in parking lots and parrallel parking all the time. I would not normally fold in my mirrors unless it was a tight fit, but with the power mirrors, it definitely makes it more convienent.

Does anyone know what kind of system the new AWD version of the Escalade is going to be using? I'm curious if it's going to also use a variation of the borg-warner TOD system that the Troopers use. Hopefully it will be, because the AWD/TOD system on them is excellent (and GM already partly owns the technology)

-mike
    I'm certain it's the same unit used in the new GMC Denali.

Bob
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Is it the same unit as the Suburban/Tahoe? (The auto-engaging 4wd unit?) I've heard you really have to spin the rear wheels to get the fronts to kick in on the Ford and GM auto-engaging 4wd unit. Just curious what kind of torque split the AWD is getting.

-mike
    No, it's not. It is an AWD unit, not a On-Demand unit (no 4WD Auto mode, or any other mode, for that matter), and it doesn't have a low range.

GMC is also introducing a Denali-like pickup, the "C," (I'm not sure(?) if that is the correct label for the pickup, but it's close) with the same unit as standard.

Bob