Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-series vs Lexus IS

Comments

• dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Thats Awesome. Hopefully BMW will never sell another 325i in TX this year and I can have a Unique vehicle. And maybe just maybe some one in the Dallas area can get a fair deal on one. I never quite got why someone gets upset that every one else didn't purchase the same car they did ??

DL
  • truckasaurustruckasaurus Member Posts: 44
    So can anybody report what the 350 drives like with the VDIM turned off? Can the chassis handle it?
  • scrumscrum Member Posts: 12
    I have to agree with this poster. We own an E90 325i with sloptronic. I think it is a combination of the electronic throttle and the transmission. I've been stuck several times when the car just won't go when I give it the gas. Drive, sport mode or manual mode makes NO difference.

I'm a stick guy so I don't care for automatics, but my automatic loving wife isn't all that happy with the 325i either. We'll be replacing the car soon.

I disagree about the IS 250/350. I've driven the IS 250 with a stick and it was pretty bad. Lots of cheap plastic, anemic engine and terrible clutch. Impossible to drive smoothly. Also there was a lot of engine, wind and road noise.
  • aztkaztk Member Posts: 1
    350IS - Nice car. Was the 3 series that disappointed you a 325i or a 330i? I have driven all four versions of these subject BMW and Lexus cars (325i, 330i, 250IS, 350IS) and yes the 350IS is more powerful, followed by the 330i, but not by such a margin to outweigh the difference in every other performance attribute of these cars that the BMW outshines the Lexus in. The BMW is the repeat winner of comparisons becuase it is such an incredibly balanced car in terms of performance, safety, appearance, etc. and no other car, including the 350IS, stacks up.

I have owned three 3-series BMWs and can honestly say that these are the only vehicles that I still love and look forward to drive every day even after owning the vehicle for several years. I am now back in the market and cannot find a sub-$50k sedan that competes with the overall driving experiece of the 330i.
  • iz4detailiz4detail Member Posts: 9
    I am contemplating purchasing an IS 350. I am, however, curious how this vehicle handles with speeds of 95MPH and above. I currently own a BMW 330 and it tends to handle pretty good at these speeds. I have yet found a vehicle that handled as well as my parent's 1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse AWD Turbo. This vehicle made you feel like you where driving at 55 MPH while you were at 95 MPH...hard to describe. Additionally, the engine was barely turning high rpm's...it just seem to scream for more speed..just loved it !!! Thanks BTW, reason why I am thinking of selling the Bimmer is that their customer service, in my area, just stinks!!!
  • iz4detailiz4detail Member Posts: 9
    My BMW is 2004 330 Ci Coupe
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    I love my BMW e46 and will most likely replace it with a future BMW (hopefully a turbodiesel).

But my experiences with BMW services is identical to yours. It stinks!

Great car, shame about the services.
  • potemkinpotemkin Member Posts: 195
    I'd just like to pile on here...

Worst service I ever got was at my local BMW dealership (I won't name names, but it's located at Gwinnett Place Mall). Fortunately, there are other BMW dealers in the metro Atlanta area. I drive right by that dealership and go thirty minutes out of my way just to have the oil changed elsewhere.

If they were the only dealership around, I'd be driving another brand.
  • is3ooguyis3ooguy Member Posts: 68
    This is an interesting subject for me and I wanted to add my 2 cents..
    I had an '03 IS300 and my dad now has 2 Lexus cars. The service we both received from Performance Lexus was excellent, everything Lexus had said it would be. Lexus loaner cars without asking for them, great friendly service etc.
    1 1/2yrs ago I moved out of the city and moved where my local dealership was Lexus of Oakville. I was extremely surprised at how horrible their service was there. Their SA is one of the rudest I've come across and on one of my last visits they damaged my front left rim and didn't tell me about it. I spoke to both Lexus HO and the dealership manager about how horrible my experiences had been with them. I ended up swearing that dealership off for good.
    The decision is what even lead me to consider a different make at first, as some might remember I really had my heart set on a IS350.
    I bought a 330i from Budd's here and I've been in 3 times now for service. They've been great, some of the best service I've got and the car is always returned not only washed but detailed.
    To wrap this up, my point here is as a whole Lexus dealerships might have the better customer service but not all dealerships are the same. Once you find a good one in your area that treats you right, you almost don't want to switch brands again and risk losing that great service.
    I live in Toronto and had my car serviced at BMW AutoHaus and BMW Parkview. During warranty I had no complaints whatsoever. First Class Service was provided. Right after warranty I had an estimate of repairs at BMW of $5,800 for a whole slew of problems. I went instead to an independent BMW mechanic and got an estimate of $600 for a brake job and he assured me everything else in my car was just fine. That was three years ago and my car has been problem free until a few weeks ago! But that is another story altogether and beyond topic for this forum.
  • equan1equan1 Member Posts: 27
    Contrary to many others posting on this board, I've had nothing but good/excellent service from all three BMW dealers I've dealt with. Cars were always ready as scheduled, car was washed and vacuumed, free BMW loaner, follow up calls,..whatever. Perhaps some of the poor dealership were a result of the rapid expansion of dealerships in the US a decade or two ago.
    Glad to hear it. I don't think anyone here is implying that any particular brand has extensive dealership problems. I'm sure you could pick any BMW/Infinit/Lexus/etc. dealership at random and come away with satisfactory service.

It does seem that manufacturers should (if they don't already) take great pains to ensure that their service providers come through for them, 'cause it looks like service is a deal breaker when it comes to brand loyalty.
    Let me just clarify one point.

There is more than a subtle difference between warranty and post-warranty services. Post-warranty services in my case has been horrendous in terms of being hit in the wallet(which I managed to avoid paying by going to an independent).

Maybe my experiences are not representative of the whole population of BMW owners? Or maybe most the forum members who are prasing BMW services are covered by warranty and are oblivious of their services' adverse financial affects?
    Couldn't agree more with what you said.. :)
    It wasn't cost that drove me to look elsewhere. I don't mind so much paying for quality service -- while I was paying for five-star quality service, I was getting zero-star service. That's what swore me off them.
    For me a test-drive is what will persuade me to buy another BMW despite their shoddy services.

Fortunately I have a independent mechanic(worked 20 years at a BMW dealership ) that provides "First Class Services" at a reasonable cost.
  • webby1webby1 Member Posts: 209
    What dealer are you going to ?
    I deal with Budd's in Hamilton and it is fanatstic !
    Webby
  • gordonwdgordonwd Member Posts: 337
    Autoweek just did a comparison of a new 330i vs. an IS350. The results were interesting. On specs, they complained bitterly about the IS not having a manual trans option, but in the straight-line acceleration testing they admitted that it well outran the BMW by the combination of more horsepower and the fact that it is easier to get a good launch with the auto trans.

However, they basically flunked the IS in the slalom test because there is apparently no "official" way to turn the traction and stability control off all the way as you can do with the BMW. As a result, when trying to max it out thru the slalom, the stability control kept kicking in and killing the throttle, applying brakes, etc., and totally ruining the times.

They did mention that there is an unofficial and undocumented way to turn this control off, but that it involves a complicated "pedal dance" that must be repeated every time you start the car. So the BMW with the DSC turned off had to be declared the winner.
    Parkview and Autohaus.

I live and work in downtown Toronto and it will be a challenge to drive all the way to Budd's with my daily schedule.
  • webby1webby1 Member Posts: 209
    My dentist takes his to Town and Country and he lives in Ancaster.....go figure!
  • wonderblahwonderblah Member Posts: 1
    Can't agree more with you about how BMW dealers treat their "potential" customers. I've been to a few BMW dealers. All those sales people held their noses high as if they were the only car manufacturer in the universe. On the other hand, Lexus salespeople treated me with style and dignity.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    I actually couldn't agree less. I've been to a few BMW dealers and was treated just fine, even though I didn't end up getting the car there. Any dealer is the luck of the draw.
  • rlui1rlui1 Member Posts: 93
    Ditto! I own a Lexus and BMW and you can't beat the Lexus service. On the other hand, you can't beat the BMW driving experience so I'll put up with the mediocre service (especially since maintenance is free the first four years).
  • qswimqswim Member Posts: 3
    I was going through some of the forums, and I had to stop to address this issue. If you're leaning toward one car or the other, then I respect that. However, do not allow your preference influence facts. Facts are, if you fit behind the seat of an IS, you would have had at least 2 more inches of room in the 3. I've test driven both, and set the front seat exactly how I like it when driving, then sat in the backseat. More room in the 3.
    Speaking of your quoting, you said that even $1800 over invoice was more than what you've been quoted. Be interested to know how you have it packaged and what type of quotes you're getting. I like both the 350 and 330, but IMO the 3 series, no matter the year, seems to age like fine wine. When you see one, there's no mistaking what it is.
    You know, I was thinking the same thing when I was driving home today. No joke. I saw the new Sonata and thought it was an IS from afar. Don't get me wrong, I like the styling of the IS, the problem is that it is not as unique as I'd like. When you see and Audi, BMW, or even trucks like say a Dodge Ram, there's no mistaking them. Good points indeed.
  • brightness04brightness04 Member Posts: 3,148
    Overall consistency in apperance used to be a major forte of BMW's, but the latest generation acquired a rather unflattering Pontiac-looking front. I serious thought the new E90 was a Pontiac when I saw the front from a distance for the first time.
    The opinion expressed in the prior post appears to be in the minority as far as the trades go. The E90 is a strong, handsome looking car.
  • mikegillermikegiller Member Posts: 602
    "Wooden steering wheels, not for me"

There's no wooden steering wheel in the IS.

And also, do some people feel better about themselves when they say that the 330i is absolutely a better car than the IS 350?

I think it all lies in your preferences. Neither car is ABSOLUTELY better than they other. Whatever floats your boat you know?
    Maybe being comfortable in the 3 series meant me putting the seat back a little more?

Either way, the 3 series is popular; it has its own crowd.

No love lost.

I love the IS 350; my kind of car.

:D
    (not addressing your post, kd)- Even the best eyes can confuse anything from a far distance. Up close, can you confuse a Sonata with an IS? If you do, then there might be something wrong.

Now I am - The IS 350 is a strong, handsome looking car and I absolutely love the styling more and more every time I see it!

Here you go everybody! I will share the love! How can you not find this car attractive!

That's really funny. In all honesty, I would never confuse a Pontiac for a BMW, but the Bimmerites need to be humbled from time to time, so:

The headlights look like they were lifted from a Cavalier!

(Seeing the attacks coming...)

Just kidding!

(or am I?)

Not a 3er hater, but cmon' now, some humility? Chris Bangle isn't exactly a Godsend.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    heh...pretty funny...I looked at both cars and couldn't see any resemblance. For my eyes, the cobalt could have been and F250… :shades:
    I don't think the cars look anything alike, and they don't share anything in common.... except the headlights!

:)
    I know why I've never confused them, I usually don't lay on the ground looking at them at a 30 degree angle.
    "And also, do some people feel better about themselves when they say that the 330i is absolutely a better car than the IS 350?"

Better how? There is no absolute as a better car. Only a car that fits your form and function better. Having said that, there is such a thing as best in class.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    I have to get close before I can tell the difference...

I am assuming you have never a) seen the car in person, and b) never driven the car.

Saying that the IS 350 is similar to the Sonata may well be the equivalent of the Sonata copying the styling of the RX 330, front and back.

Sorry, but I dont see the similarity here:

Vs.

Then again, that is the danger in starting this sort of topic. :blush:

As well, personally I agree whole heartedly in comparison tests. I however, do not agree on awarding 1sts, 2nds, 3rds, 99ths. A Volvo S40 R may score 6th in a comparison test against 330i's and IS 350's, but it may have that unquantifiable appeal to its buyers. For that reason, I do not agree with the scoring systems. Instead of subconsciously having the affect of scewing people's perceptions on a car's appeal to themselves, let the reader draw his own conclusion; that seems realistic to me.

The IS 350 has that unquantifiable appeal to me. Sexy... and fun.

:D
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    are very nice ;) but let's get back to comparing these two cars to each other instead of looking for less-expensive look-alikes for each.
    "Saying that the IS 350 is similar to the Sonata"

Didn't you post the pictures of the 3 series and Cavalier side by side?

"I however, do not agree on awarding 1sts, 2nds, 3rds, 99ths"

I enjoy reading the articles, but I do not buy based on magazine articles.
    The Cavalier headlights don't look anything like the E90s.. and that whole Pontiac thing.. ya sure ;) I think MOST people know whats coming their way when they see a E90 on the road.. and their not thinking it's a Grand Prix.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    3-Series vs IS, 3-Series vs IS, 3-Series vs IS.

Now it's your turn. ;)
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 893
    it's always annoying to see comments like this:

"To keep the fight fair, the 330i in this test was an automatic, as the IS 350 isn't available with a manual gearbox."

Following this lame logic Lexus engine should have been detuned to match BMW, since 330i isn't available with a more powerful engine. We want to keep the fight fair, don't we?

A car is more than engine size/output, transmission, suspension, etc... If a comparison test is being done (especially performance test), all the participating cars should be equipped to maximize car's potential.
  • stillgoing1stillgoing1 Member Posts: 8
    I liked the IS350 better, hands down. They both look great on the exterior in my opinion, the interior is the IS hands down in all respects, the backseat, while the data says the BMW is bigger, and it did have more shoulder room, but, for me, the IS was easier on my legs & feet (and I'm 6'2, 250lbs) which is most important to me, and, the drive was much more enjoyable in the IS. I was quite suprised that it ended up being no comparison for me.
  • grylexis300grylexis300 Member Posts: 53
    dave330i

to keep the fight fair lexus should charge a few more thousand for the IS350 like the rip-off 330i that costs almost 50K for 50 less horses so everyone won't think it is such a bargain for dusting the pants off of a stick shift 330i by a whole second in the 60 time. geez.

then lexus should use some lame logic and create engines that cause more maintenance problems like ALL THEIR german adversaries and charge a few more thousand for the car so it is a fair fight.

"all participating cars should be equipped to maximize car's potential." like i said, stick shift 330i got dusted by IS350 5.1sec 60 to the bmw's 6.1. ouch. i'd hate to see what that automatic 330i ran and you all noticed edmunds didn't really mention that in their review. hmmmmmm

if it were the automatic IS300 vs old 330i you bet all these guys would be jumping on how slow the IS300 was. nobody wants to talk about it now. now it is just how a car drives. nobody wants to talk about how much the IS interior smokes the bmw's now. they wish they had that toyota altezza IS300 back now so they had more to pick on. now it is just a drivers car. the bmw. king of what the drivers want but it ain't the best CAR anymore. sorry.
    Anyone can pick apart these cars from a different angle and say this car is better than that one because of 1,3, and 5. Someone else can say no the other car is better because 2,4, and 6.
    What really matters here is two things;
    1. Which one do you like for your own needs and wants.
    2. I think it also says something that everyone who tests these cars for a living has in every review I've seen (min. 4+) has picked the 330i over the IS350. To me, that says something.

ps. I think the BMW's interior rocks. It's all in the small details. Anyone who has spent time with an E90, knows what I'm talking about ;)
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    I agree with the dave man…

If the only trump card that the IS has over the 330 is straight line acceleration then why not choose the manual 330? It seems as if the article was written for a Lexus audience…hence the automatics.

I think what I’ve seen is:
    IS350 0-60 5.1, 330i 0-60 5.6.
    I’ve never heard the 330i, or any 3 series, being sold on 0-60 times. Others are cheaper and have faster 0-60. Yes the old IS300 automatic was slow…I’m sure others will talk about it if you want to.

I believe that the maintenance on the 330i is cheaper than the IS350…it should be zero.

The IS350 is a little faster. When I was 19 I used to leave rubber at the lights ALL the time…its been a really really long time since I’ve done that. Almost everyday I take on-ramps pushing the cars limits, or occasionally I’ll “carve-up” traffic.

Driving…there is a reason the IS comes with the electrical driving nanny…I previously owned a G35 automatic (manual was not out yet) and I was cornering at a high speed – accelerating out of the turn…for some reason the automatic decided to downshift…of course I had the stability control turned off…automatics…yuk…they’re ok for my mom.

My ideal 330i comes in at 40K…if I were to spend 50K it would be a “base” M3...if you want to compare the OLD 3.2L BMW engine with the brand new 3.5L IS350. I don’t need or want a bunch of options in my car…adding 20 way power seats, power tilting steering wheel, or adding a back up camera don’t make the car better for me.

The BMW 3 series has always been a drivers car…doesn’t mean there is anything wrong with the Lexus…or being a passenger.
  • brightness04brightness04 Member Posts: 3,148
    I think the BMW's interior rocks. It's all in the small details. Anyone who has spent time with an E90, knows what I'm talking about

I have no idea what you are talking about. The E90 interior does not even have the cockpit feel wrapping around the driver like the previous four generations of 3 series had and were praised for. Is it really a driver's car anymore? or just a small luxury car?
    then lexus should use some lame logic and create engines that cause more maintenance problems like ALL THEIR german adversaries and charge a few more thousand for the car so it is a fair fight.

BMW 3 series are mechanically among the most reliable cars on this planet. Transmission issues are a prevailing theme for both Lexuses and Acuras.

Unfortunately the same cannot be said about the reliability of BMW electronics. That is where Lexus is definitely superior.
This discussion has been closed.