Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-series vs Lexus IS

Comments

• thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Car and Driver recorded 0-60 MPH for the IS350 in 5.1 seconds, well under Lexus' claims. next up the list were Acura TL and Infiniti G35 which tied at 5.9 sec. BMW was in the 6.0 second and up catergory. In the article (posted online) they don't list the BMW's time in the article but they do mention all the troubles they had with the NEW car, keyless start - not starting, ABS - they nearly spun the car 360 degrees b/c ABS just didn't work, Airbags - A warning light; luckily they didn't try this out!
    **NOTE - Test numbers are in the article's "box o' numbers", but I couldn't find the pertinent information in this little time I have.

Also, remember, this test was done at temperatures over 110 degrees, a sub-5.0 sec number may have been reached by the lexus if temperatures were more moderate, around 70 degrees.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    "Also, remember, this test was done at temperatures over 110 degrees, a sub-5.0 sec number"

The real number will likely be a sub-6.0 number. Time will tell. I don't believe C&Ds numbers myself, but I know a lot of people believe their numbers are gospel.
  • qaliqali Member Posts: 60
    Talking about speed (and nothing else)

From Edmunds.com
    http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/do/vdp/articleId=109021/pageNumber=3

Lightning-quick Lexus

Behind the big "L" in the grille sits a 306-horsepower monster. Without needing the forced induction of a turbocharger or supercharger, the free-breathing 3.5-liter V6 in the IS 350 is a model of linear power and smoothness. A 5.6-second sprint to 60 mph and a 13.9-second quarter-mile — digest that for a moment. That's as quick as a Mercedes-Benz C55 AMG and just dusts the 330i.
    Why would they bother to lie about it? Because the magazine gets better numbers than Lexus claims, it must not be true? Shoot, Toyota's Avalon got a manufacturer claim of 6.6 sec, while Car and Driver pushed it to 6.0 sec even. Just because the numbers don't support one's particular case is no reason to discredit them without base.

Here is a quote from Motor Trend: "The Lexus is a full second faster to 60 than the 330i and the 280hp G35. The six-speed auto is a worthy partner."
    -No editing in that quote. I promise.
    In that particular IS350, MT garnered 5.5 seconds to 60, meaning that Motor Trend only managed as quick as 6.5 sec for the 330i and G35. They also had a quarter mile in 14.0 sec at 99.8 MPH.

They get their numbers from accelerating in the manner that gets the fastest time; different from just standing on the gas; they likely brake-torqued the Lexus.

Consumer Reports accelerates as many consumers would = by just flooring the accelerator and shifting at redline (for manuals).

Car and Driver, Motor Trend, etc... often shift past redline (in the Civic Si they shifted against the fuel cutoff at 8,500 RPMS rather than the 8,000 RPM redline.
  • mikegillermikegiller Member Posts: 602
    "Yet Lexus apparantly thinks that 0-60 is so important to its buyers as to overstate its performance by a embarassingly large amount. What does that tell you about Lexus? about its target market?"

What is more embarassing is that you don't realize that the IS 350 was rated by a 3rd party, called WARDS, and was given an official time, after thorough testing, of 5.3 seconds.

"I think Lexus should take a course in modesty when it comes to tooting their own horn. Puffery doesn't make for a good heritage when it comes to performance cars, even if it does appeal to boy racers. Fortunately, my goddaughter isn't one."

And neither does ignorance. I am not calling you ignorant, but you are, for a lack of a better set of words, "lacking balanced knowledge".
    End of story, no?!

Boy racers, eh? Tell me how many "boy racers" can afford a $40,000 USD vehicle. You don't think that BMW appeals to the mass market too? If you don't, then....
    "Why would they bother to lie about it? "

They don't lie about it, the apply a proprietary algorithm that takes into account the altitude and weather. This means you usually don't the "real" number, and sometimes they don't even say where they tested.
    You probably didn't follow the initial conversation in Edmunds in 2002 with the introduction G35, but this will likely be the same type of thing. I invite you for your reading pleasure to peruse the comparos.
    No kdshapiro, I didn't.

I'll assume that you are at work now - as am I - so you don't have time to elaborate on what you had said, but I don't understand what you mean.

So, what will be like the same thing? :P

And which comparos?
    Ok, I can admit I hadn't thought about that.

It still doesn't take away from the fact that the Lexus I-S 350 is "a second quicker than the 330i". It just means that BOTH the numbers would have been subject to said algorithm. Nothing much changes between the two.

I'm off to the beach. Have a good weekend guys...I'll be home Sunday night; maybe I'll pop in.
    Have a good time.

I am envious of you. I live in Winnipeg, and I have a lot of clients in California. All I hear about is the nice weather!

It's freezing here!
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    "A 5.6-second sprint to 60 mph and a 13.9-second quarter-mile — digest that for a moment. That's as quick as a Mercedes-Benz C55 AMG and just dusts the 330i."

Whoa! Hold on there. I've driven the C55 and IS350 and they are completely night and day, not even remotely in the same league. And apparantly, Edmunds had a memory lapse. Here is the their quote from the review of the C55:

"With the 0-to-60-mph dash coming in at around 4.5 seconds and a top speed that's electronically limited to 155 mph, those who need speed should be more than happy with the C55."

C55 - look at powertrains and performance

Perhaps our host can explain why the contradiction in statements by Edmunds, but anyone who has driven both cars would know how ridiculous the "as fast as a C55" statement is. That is equivalent to saying a 330i is as fast as an M3. :confuse:
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    "What is more embarassing is that you don't realize that the IS 350 was rated by a 3rd party, called WARDS, and was given an official time, after thorough testing, of 5.3 seconds."

Please provide a reference or link. I went to the WARDS site and was unable to find any road test results for any cars. I would be curious as to whether they have a consistent testing procedure. Thanks.
    This is from the Lexus website:

The IS 350 can achieve an astounding 0-60 acceleration time of 5.3 seconds [3]

[3] AMCI-Certified acceleration testing, six-cylinder automatic sedans, Ward's Segmentation

This is a quote from the AMCI website:

Testing

AMCI's unique testing programs help the world's automakers better understand their customer, their competition and the marketplace. Our methods are so scientific and our results so reliable, they are literally the industry standard - and have made AMCI the official testing company for J.D. Power. In over 20 years, not one claim bearing our name has ever been retracted due to legal challenge.

Our testing services begin with the objective Comparative Vehicle Assessment (CVA), during which a manufacture's car or truck is objectively analyzed alongside its competition. Superiorities uncovered during the CVA can then be turned into indisputable marketing advantages through Advertising Claim Certification, substantiated by AMCI's proprietary methodology.

Advertising Claim Certification

When you stake your brand's reputation on a competitive claim, it has to be true, and it has to be absolutely defensible. AMCI testing precision and methodology are backed by a track record of success stretchhing back over 20 years. In that time, we have certified hundreds of comparative claims for dozens of manufacturers - and not one has ever been retracted due to litigation. Should one of our claims be challenged, we offer turn-key counsel if legal action is ever taken regarding an AMCI-certified claim.

And that's all folks!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Perhaps our host can explain why the contradiction in statements by Edmunds

Moi? I haven't a clue! :) Try the Contact Us page at the Help link on the left side of the page and ask them directly.

Meanwhile, maybe we can ALL keep in mind what our subject is here?
    I would say that my post is on topic right?

I hope so.. After all that retyping the Macromedia text.. grumble, grumble.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I was just making a general statement to everyone on the topic thing - we've been wandering all over the seaside then to the mountains and back to the beaches here lately. ;)

(Yah, I am sick to death of winter!!!)
    I have more faith in C&D than AMCI. :confuse
    5.1 seconds it is! :)
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    I’ve finally figured out what displeases me about the IS.

I refer to it, as the El Camino effect.

I recently watched an old automobile review on the El Camino. This review had nothing but praises, particularly extolling its dual role; you gain the benefits of a truck as well as the benefits of an automobile.

For me, that is, the IS is a contradiction. It competes in the sports sedan category

Design: The design is not particularly breathtaking nor is it unattractive. It sacrifices rear seat room for style, but is no more attractive than a Scion tC. Certainly for a SEDAN an MB CLS would rank at the top; trumping both the IS and the 3. I have not checked the dimensions, but it appears this sedan should be classified as a coupe (or real close to one). I see nothing wrong with coupes, but an IS coupe with four doors would not be at the top of my list (G35 here). The 3 has a generous amount of room for a sedan; not for 5 girth challenged reality show wannabies, but for the average family I can see it performing the function of sedan admirably.

Performance: The IS straight line performance is amazing; much quicker than I would have guessed. But if this is your cup of tea I see better alternatives…such as any of the SRT-8’s or even MB350. I’ve seen the 3 series win all of the comparisons other than the online resource that ranked it low because of cup holders and the turn signal. I don’t understand the rational to go with a RWD setup if you’re going to limit the vehicle with electronics (intrusive electronics that is) and an auto; might as well save dollars and just use the Camry setup.

Luxury: The IS appears to be put together well. I prefer the interior design of the 3, but I can see why people like the IS. If I wanted luxury though, I’d go the MB350 route (it’s 0-60 5.5 is still respectable plus you can get a manual or 7 speed auto). I wouldn’t rate the IS or 3 series as luxurious, they both have luxurious amenities.

Panache: Lexus has it according to some people (some not including myself), I didn’t see it on the old IS and don’t see it on the new one. Just today I was trailing a Jag S-type R and thought this car will be amazing in 15 years. I am one of the people that admit the BMW badge has an appeal, particularly because it has the car to back it up (talks the talk…walks the walk).

I think the biggest thing for me is the useless rear seats, the pretending to be a sedan when you’re not…I mean if it’s not that important to have rear seats, a CPO’s Porsche Boxter S seems a better way to spend 40K+ of hard earned after tax dollars.

I suppose to some the IS is the perfect blend of everything you would want; perhaps I’m just a pessimist (I tell you it is half empty!), but I cannot get past the El Camino.

All in good fun of course :)
    Might as well say the 330i is 5.6 seconds then.
    OK :)
    "The design is not particularly breathtaking nor is it unattractive. It sacrifices rear seat room for style, but is no more attractive than a Scion tC. Certainly for a SEDAN an MB CLS would rank at the top"

Many have said (European auto-journalists, for example 4Car) that the IS is now one of the most beautiful sedans on the road. To me, in person, it is more beautiful than the CLS. The IS, in motion, is pure poetry! :D:D:D

link title

Quote from the video: "Rarely will any of us come across a saloon car as plain attractive as the new IS 250. Just as BMW decided to let a blind madman design the new 3 series, and Audi grafted a chrome beard on to the once-pretty A4... handling and steering aren't far off the exceptional BMW."

They, although call the interior "Japanese", and don't like the painted plastic, but probe the question - after mentioning BMW's projected sales numbers - wouldn't it be great to drive something not so ordinary (in comparison to BMW)?

No better looking than a tC? Hrmm... :P

Many have called the 3 series absolutely ugly!

In terms of luxury, the IS outclasses the C. I have not driven the C, but I hear the IS outhandles it. The Edmunds review goes as far to say,"The manual transmission works well enough, but given our test car's reserved demeanor, we'd probably join the other 95 percent and go with an automatic-equipped C350". Also,"Nevertheless, the C350's cabin lacks the elegance of some peers. The metal-ringed gauges look modern, and most materials are quite nice, but there are a few cheap plastics in little-seen nooks."

"The 3 has a generous amount of room for a sedan; not for 5 girth challenged reality show wannabies"

IMO, the difference in sizes b/w the IS and 3 are neglible. You could not fit 5 normal sized adults comfortably in either car. The 3 series backseat is far from generous. If it is generous, then the IS backseat is commodious. When I went into the backseat of the e90 325i after driving it, my knees were pushing forward the back of the plastic seat, so I had to splay my knees apart. With the IS, I had to do the same thing, but at least they were touching leather not plastic. ;)

Anyways, I'm out!.. for now. :)
  • potemkinpotemkin Member Posts: 195
    "In terms of luxury, the IS outclasses the C."

No it doesn't.
    Ahh. You bring up an interesting point.
  • vvhavvha Member Posts: 1
    OK kdshapiro I realize that you are a big BMW fan and that's fine. However in terms of engine performance the 330i really isn't in the same class as the IS350. The best data for this available comes from Edmunds' own comparo. These two cars were tested under the same conditions and the Lexus beat the BMW 5.6s vs 6.7s. By 75 mph the gap had widened to 8.1s vs 9.8s. Given the 1100ft elevation of the testing site there's no reason to doubt the IS350 could run the claimed timed of 5.3s 0-60 at sea level.
    Lexus has yet again come up with a car that will seriously rattle BMW's cage. It makes the 3-Series look like a rip-off

'After years of trying, someone's made a car that conquers the Three'

January 26, 2006

Features

Pistols at dawn

Watch out BMW, the new Lexus IS is gunning for the 3-Series. And it's good... very good indeed
    It's down to badge snobbery. No longer do you have to opt out of BMW 3-Series ownership armed with a caveat.

You don't need an excuse, any inter-pub conversational armour, because the new IS is the car that will make Lexus a force to be reckoned within the UK market.

Think about it; where the small Beemer has become a subdued and almost awkward design study, the Lexus has blossomed, thanks to the new 'L-Finesse' design language.

Where the old IS200 threatened to make inroads, the new car punches above its weight, only lacking the Pavlovian buying response from the general public that the 3-Series has long laid claim to.

'Where the old Lexus IS200 threatened to make inroads, the new car punches above its weight'
    The BMW might have the edge in 10/10ths excitement, but I buy an executive saloon to drive every day and a car that is as near-as-dammit silent will pay dividends 99 per cent of the time. Standard kit is lavish, ride is exemplary and the execution of build superlative.

You could argue that the wheels are too small, there's no diesel option and that bits of it can look a little plump.

In answer, I'll point you towards the forthcoming Sport model riding on 18s, and the imminent release of the IS220d in the UK - a diesel engine more powerful than that in the BMW 320d.

As for the plump bit, get used to it - 'flame-surfacing' and 'new edge' are so last year. It's won a Top Gear award because, after years of trying, someone's made a car that conquers the Three, but not by apeing BMW values. It's gone its own way and it's a better car for it.

Source: link title
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    Did my speed reading that article make me miss the point you raised about a BMW 3 series being a RIP OFF?

It appears the reader of this article who interpreted the words RIP OFF is no different from a member in the "World is Flat Society" who interprets every everything he reads as supporting his notion that the earth is flat.

Look beyond your false notions and acknowledge the following: BMW3 is the pedestal of perfection in terms of sport sedans and you then will finally see the TRUTH.
    Heyyyy. I never said that the 3-Series was a rip-off! You have me all wrong! The dudes at TopGun think so, not me.

You will find that on the main page for the IS 250 on the website, or on another road test of the IS 250 on the website; I forget which one, but I wanted to throw it out there for good measure.

;)

Note, that it is mentioned that the IS 250 is not as good of a driver's car in one of the reviews they make. See! I'm not biased! Don't shoot the messenger!

But, WHOAH! Pedestal of perfection! Now that has me scratching my head. Why is there a sport model of the 3-Series if it is perfect to begin with? Why is there an M model if it is perfect to begin with? Dewey, you are way over the top on that statement, just as the TopGear writer was over the top calling the 3-Series an outright rip-off. In my opinion he is close to the truth, but a tad extreme. Close, but no cigar.
    The less hardy marketeers have already sloped off down the pub to get slowly drunk and sing secret corporate karaoke songs about the good old days when Lexii were merely confidence-boosted Toyotas and BMW could sell you a bent piece of angle iron and we'd all pay extra for the rust.

You can imagine it, because it's very hard not to be impressed with this new IS250. And very hard to imagine that when the early-adopter atmosphere of the noughties gets a handle on the whole anti-hero image thing, BMW is going to have to try much harder to sell you a car. And the chaps at Lexus are going to be very happy indeed.

Tom Ford (TopGear)
    Wow, what a comeback. You showed him.

Would you mind elaborating? What does the C-series offer that the IS-350 is lacking? At what cost do these extra features come?

I remember a particular Motor Trend Test of a C320 vs ES330 vs etc...

The Mercedes cost $44,000+ and had only a cassette deck; no CD player or changer.
    "Would you mind elaborating? "

No.
    "No."

-Yes.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    heh...

The host is going step in like I do with my kids ;)

“Boys! Smarten up!’…this usually has the result of me being mocked…
    "“Boys! Smarten up!’…this usually has the result of me being mocked…"

"Boys! Smarten up!"

Consider yourself mocked. ;)

Have a nice day.
    This forum has gotten so boring!!!

Let's stir things up.

BMWs suck! Their interiors are terrible and it is hardly a driving machine. Why would it need a sport package if it is so good to begin with! Right!?

And, will anybody please read my post from above. I feel like arguing.

:)
  • suave_tequilasuave_tequila Member Posts: 116
    Hey Mike! Uhh... I agree as well its boring here! lol

Still waiting for my IS 350 to come from Japan!
    Good to hear Rick! So, you have finally decided. What made you choose the IS 350 after all this time? I have decided that out of sport sedans, this is most definitely the car for me. However, I am not ready to make my mind up for quite a while longer. Plus, the possibility of a Supra comming soon I cannot ignore.
    I will preface this by saying that I have not exagerated any of the following with my own words. The "actions" that I have added in between dialogue, which is word for word, are exactly what had happened on the TV program Top Gear.

For those who don't know, this is a BBC show (British Television).

Each episode on Top Gear, it seems, Hammond and James give cool ratings for cars on the “Cool Wall” (Ratings: Sub Zero (best), Cool, Uncool, Seriously Uncool (... worse)). They pull out pictures of the subject car and discuss what rating to give it and where to put it on the Cool Wall. Here is what happened when the 3-Series was discussed:

Jeremy: What have you got next?

Hammond: I’ve got the BMW 3-series.

Audience Member (shouts): It looks like a Nissan.

Jeremy: It doesn’t look like a Nissan, it looks like 15 feet of car.

Hammond: It is. It’s just “some car”.

Jeremy: ... Some car. I’m sorry, do you know what? First time ever. (drops the picture of the 3-Series on the floor.)

Hammond: Can’t be bothered…

Jeremy: Can’t be bothered....

Hammond Laughs.

Jeremy (continues): ... to put it on the board.

- Whole Crowd Cheering and Clapping -

Hammond: It’s just some car!

Jeremy: It is mild cheddar.

Hammond: It’s a lump of car.

Jeremy: Thaaat’s what it issss…….

Crowd Clapping and Laughing.

From another episode of Top Gear, Hammond describes the interior: This dash used to curve around like the cockpit of a fighter plane, but now it’s as straight as a piece of celery, and just as interesting... In twenty years that car [the Z4] will be remembered as forward thinking, but this car will be remembered as, well it won’t be remembered... As a machine, it’s fantastic. The engineering might be great, but the snob value of the badge is even stronger. But there’s a problem with that; the very reason you buy a BMW; because it’s exclusive and different; well it just isn’t, not anymore.

Now, they love the way the car drives (and it is justified), but there is a whole lot more to a car than the way it drives, and shame on the people who think that if you don’t buy a BMW, you must not love driving! There really are other options. Competition really is a wonderful thing.
  • gordonwdgordonwd Member Posts: 337
    While I generally don't like the opinions of these "in-your-face" type shows and magazines -- they're too intent on trying to make controversial comments -- I do agree about the interior of the E90. It's much too "generic" for my tastes. Previously, you could put me inside a totally debadged sedan and I could tell it was a BMW from the look & feel of the interior, and especially the dash. Now it looks like everything else in its class from the point of view of the driver's seat (and too much like everything else on the outside as well). IMO, as always.
    I disagree that the E90 has a generic look to the interior, as I like the interior very much. What other interior do you think it looks like? Infiniti, Acura? Lexus? Saab?
    I agree with you kdshapiro. I don't think the e90 interior looks like anything else in the class, or even outside the class. However, I don't feel it is attractive in the least bit, and is quite boring.
  • bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    I agree with you kdshapiro. I don't think the e90 interior looks like anything else in the class, or even outside the class. However, I don't feel it is attractive in the least bit, and is quite boring.

BMW's goal is to go for simple, understated luxury. You'll never see a BMW loaded with tons of gaudy wood or chrome. They keep this stuff limited, more as accents rather than the focus. They prefer to put as little on the dash as possible. (Hence one of the reasons for iDrive -- fewer visible buttons and knobs.)

Flashy they are not, but that is their goal. Some love it, some hate it.
    I love "Top Gear". It's the best thing on TV. It's the reason I own a TV.

But I wouldn't use them to pick my next vehicle (I can't afford, nor can I fit in, a Zonda).
    Top Gear is definitely my favourite program as well. I wouldn't use them as a reference guide to pick my next vehicle either! The comparo with the Zonda, F430 Spyder, and Ford GT was quite hilarious. Poor Jeremy and his Ford GT. :P The day he got it was when his car troubles started; day after day, after day.
    I happen to believe less is more in an interior. Boring and extrememly functional/attractive makes me very happy. Boring does not mean shoddy. I "intensely dislike" wood steering wheels.
    3-Series: 9140 (17686 YTD)
    Lexus IS: 3882 (7955 YTD)

325i ONLY: 3682 (7834 YTD)
    (Lexus doesn't break down 250/350)

If you put together both 325i and 330i with no AWD/coupe/conv/wagon, so we're only comparing "RWD sedans to RWD sedans", here's the tally:

BMW: 5257 (10305 YTD)
    Lex: 3882 (7955 YTD)
    I "intensely dislike" wood steering wheels.

I agree with you on "hating" steering wheels with wood. I find it incredibly distracting and annoying to have different textures on the steering wheel... The last thing I want when I'm taking a turn is to grab a section of the wheel that I wasn't expecting and be taken off guard.
  • suave_tequilasuave_tequila Member Posts: 116
    Well I put down a $1500 down payment for a Glacier Frost Mica w/ blk int, but my dealership said no word yet,when it will get here to the U.S. I hope by July since I'll turn BIG 18! Anyways I could always get my money back if I decide not to purchase the Lexus IS. Yeah I saw the new Supra WOW! Dang! Right when I choose the car I want, a newer/cooler car comes out :sick: :sick: Well I'm still currently looking around since I cant seem to make up my mine! Anyways hope that you either purchase the Lexus IS or Toyota Supra, either will be tight! Laterz
    Suave Tequila
  • brightness04brightness04 Member Posts: 3,148
    The IS number may well be production limited. 8k times 6 is 48k (Feb being a short month), very close to IS production goal of 50k units.
    All manufactures have "production limited" numbers as capacity is never infinite. So you're saying the IS numbers will be artificially low compared to BMW numbers?
This discussion has been closed.