Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Ford Super Duty

Comments

• judgejustinjudgejustin Member Posts: 14
    Is this the Customer Satisfaction 08B07 stuff or is it something else?
  • dbweaverdbweaver Member Posts: 88
    My letter says, ''Ford Motor Company has authorized your dealer to reprogram the PCM (power control module) and the TCM (transmission control module)and the instrument cluster free of charge.''
    I hope it improves my power and mpg but I'm not counting on it.I'm going to try to get it done this week. I'll let you know if it helps.
    Yeh I just got the letter too. I am just wanting to find out what this one is about getting better gas mileage.
  • BACKCRACKERBACKCRACKER Member Posts: 9
    Thanks, fordz1. I'll make the appointment this week and share with my dealer you experience. I'm hopeful I caught the problem early. Keep me posted if you experience anything else I should look out for. Peace!
    Here's the latest on my leak. Brought my Ford in this morning to the dealer and had a chance to sit down with their diesel expert. According to him, Ford instructs all dealers to examine the trucks for any radiator leaks. If there is no leak, then the dealers are instructed to install a "venturi valve" to relieve radiator pressure to avoid any seam splitting on the factory installed radiators. If there are leaks, like in my case even after the new relief valve was installed, then they are instructed to replace the radiator, install the venturi valve, flush the system, and add all new OEM coolant. Finally, they will re-flash the computer system. According to the service expert this remedies the problem and he has not seen any come back after this final procedure.
    FYI, there have been some earlier contributions regarding "camshaft sensors" and "EGR" problems. These issues do not involve our model year F series. They only effect 7.3's and 6.0's.
    Finally, he currently is not a fan of any replacement for the stock air filter system. My AFI system is loud. I cannot say it help much with performance on my truck. It does,however, make my cab noise increase significantly.
    I will update you all once I get my truck back this week with any further information I can get out of the service rep.
    I want to encourage all of you to keep writing about your own experiences. If it wasn't for what I read here, I may have jettisoned my own new motor.
    I took my truck in today for the computer update. I dropped it off it was showing 11.8 mpg when I picked it up it was showing 15.0 mpg. I drove it home 11 miles and it was showing 16.5 mpg. I don't know what to think. It felt like it might have been a little more powerful too. But, it might just be wishful thinking. After all as much as I have been let down on advertised power and fuel mileage on these trucks, I don't expect much anymore.
  • rga520crga520c Member Posts: 2
    What year and model trk do you have and what promted you to take it in for the update was there a recall or did you just call and tell them you were having problems
    I have 2008 F250 6.4liter powerstroke. I received a letter from Ford Motor Company.
    You can read my posts on the previous page. I haven't had any real problems with my truck. I have just been disappointed with the power and fuel mileage compared to my 99 F250 7.3liter powerstroke.
  • josijosi Member Posts: 4
    Driving at 50 miles/h on a cool day engine not overheating, smoke from under the hood. It started near the fuel filter. Damage in thausents if $. I did not recive any recal letter from Ford regarding cruise cintrol fires [7,000,000 recals ] May be I should. If You own one watche it.
    Joseph Reich
    I am sure this program increased my trucks power. A hill that I climb everyday on my way home, I had to go to second gear on. Now I can climb the same hill in third gear. According to the truck computer it has increased my fuel mileage 3 to 4 mpg.
    That is to good to be true. I'll have to check the mpg the old fashioned way a few times before I believe it. Has anyone else had similar results?
  • scarab36scarab36 Member Posts: 10
    Took my 08 in for the computer update last week. I noticed the mileage increase immediately. Can't really say about the power, I haven't had the chance to work it hard yet. MIne has always had great power. My first thought was they simply recalibrated the mpg display to placate crabby owners. If the mileage is in fact that much better, why didn't they do this in the first place. Would have saved a bunch of money over the last 45000 miles.
    I feel the same about the recalibration deal. It worked for me, I sure get excited over a few mpg lol! I guess we will just have to wait and see the real numbers in a few weeks.
  • JubilantJubilant Member Posts: 4
    I’m in the same situation with my radiator leaking however since my warranty expired they are charging me 1,100 bucks to fix the issue. I have done all the recalls because ford does all my service maintenance and I can’t believe I’m being treated this way. I have been a loyal Ford customer with 7 purchases in 10 years but they are willing to do nothing. Were can we as a group send emails and complain about this issue so maybe they will issue a recall on the Radiator?
    Jubilant-I'm shocked about how you are being treated. I think it's time to bring out the big guns and meet the owner of that dealership and explain to him your situation. Show him all the forum responses to the radiator recall. Under the current economy, I'm sure he doesn't want to loose you as a loyal customer, including all of your referrals. BTW, who is your dealership?
    The Dealer is Waldorf Ford in Maryland, they said they did talk to him and gave me a discount but I'm still not satisfied. I think Ford needs to recognize this is an issue and resolve it. I’m still working on the dealership so I will post the outcome. If anyone has any additional information please share.
  • yankabillyyankabilly Member Posts: 43
    Call the number that is on the recall notice. The leak is a manufature defect should not have to pay for it.
    Just picked up my "08 from my dealer. Leak problem solved. 100% covered by Ford. Truck is running great right now. No current problems. I'll contribute to this forum in the future if anything comes up.
    Well I went to the dealer today to get the reprogram done. They said Ford has stopped them from doing them because of problems they are having after it is done. Has anyone heard what these problems are or has anyone else not been able to get it done.
    I have not had any problems out of my truck since the update. I have only driven it around 300 miles. I have noticed a significant increase in pulling power at a low rpm. I haven't took any long trips on the interstate yet.
  • firecapnfirecapn Member Posts: 12
    I'm taking my F350, 6.4L diesel to the dealer on Friday for the reprograming and the backflow preventer on the radiator and will report on the same day. I have 11500 miles on the truck with numerous trips with my fifth wheel with no problems. So far, so good.
    I just checked my mpg the old fashioned way today after getting the update two weeks ago. My mpg was 17.4 no towing, taking off very carefully and not exceeding 65mph. That is up from 13.5.
    I asked the guys at the service department why Ford didn't do it a long time ago. They said "We just got the program".
    I got my programing done two days ago. So far the computer is saying I am getting worse mileage. I filled up last night and will be checking it by hand. It does seem to have a little more power but I will not be testing that much while I am watching the mileage under normal conditions.
    I am going to be putting some type of air intake on very soon. Has anyone tried any that are out there? I am leaning toward the K&N because I have had those previously. Want any advice from someone who is running one on these 6.4L. I am also looking into changing the exhaust. I am not sure if I want to go with a cat back system or go with the expense of removing the particulate filter which involves a lot of electrical stuff. I am also concerned about doing a cat back because I have been told the particulate will not work correctly with out those finned tail pipes we have on these trucks. I just want to get air in and out faster and cooler. I believe these engines have potential they just have to have the right components to run with them. Any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated.
    I put a S&D cold air intake on my 6.4, I wasn't able to tell much difference. I think if a person could open the exhaust up like you said would help alot. I have saw some DPF and catalytic converter delete pipes on ebay that have places for all the sensors to plug in. Of course it will void your warranty.
    I just bought a superchips cortex programmer for my 6.4. I haven't had it long enough to try it out much yet. I asked the mechanic at my dealership if it would void my warranty, they said it should be ok as long as I didn't turn it all the way up and try to tow 18 wheelers up mountains. But they did tell me not to mess with the exhaust, they said if it didn't have those finned tailpipes it would burn whatever was sitting next to it.
  • cthuskiecthuskie Member Posts: 11
    I plan on purchasing my first Ford F250 Super Duty this month.
    It is a 2008 I found today on a dealer's lot.

On the window sticker , listed under Options , it states :

JOB # 1 BUILD IDENTIFIER

What does this mean ?
    Is it important ?
    ( pros and cons )

Take Care
    George in Bristol , CT
  • firecapnfirecapn Member Posts: 12
    Job #1 is what they Ford referred as the first run of HD trucks for that model year. I purchased mine and it was a new 2008 F-350 and was called Job #3. They difference are minor modifications to the truck, i.e. the size of the front end air dam, or the rear differential standard gear ratio. I love my truck and haven't had one iota or trouble as of yet, with 11,350 miles on the odometer. I have a 6.4 diesel, 3:55 gear ratio rear end, two wheel drive, crew cab, long bed. No modifications, getting 14.5 mpg around town, and 11.5 towing a 12500 # RV.
  • skip21skip21 Member Posts: 16
    I have a 2007 super duty diesel.It has the same problem with the head gaskets that started in 2002 of which there are at least two ford TSBs out on this.I was told by the diesel tech where I bought my ford that it also happens on 2008 diesels.Ford dose not want to fix it and if you have one after market product on engine they will try to void your factory warrentee{they tried that with me except that there is the moss magnuson act of 1975 section 2302 that says they can not do that,]they told me that they were cancling my warrranty till I mentioned that actand they backed off.There are other messages in this forum about this,check them out in the 500 area of messages.
    George here are my thoughts and I hope they help in some form. First thing is that I don’t want to talk you out of buying one, by any means. I just want you to understand as much as I can tell you. I have driven every truck out there since my toes could touch the pedals. The Super Duty (Ford) is the best. Dodge isn’t too far behind but I never settle for 2nd place. In my opinion Ford made improvements to the Super Duty or Heavy Duty every single year they ever made them all the way up to 2003. From then till now they have been going backwards. Although the 6.4L was a huge improvement over the 6.0L. With all this said it is not all Ford or any other manufacturer’s fault, they have had to work around so many government regulations. I do really want you to understand that the days of the Super Duty’s being the unbelievable machine are not quite what they were. The 20 miles to the gallon are gone. The unstoppable black smoke rolling and never ending power are no more. You can still do a lot of modifications to them but at a much higher cost and with much less results. But still if you want the best driving, pull anything and generally feel good about yourself when you are setting next to a kid with a jacked up F-150 wannabe, because you know you have em licked in every possible way the Super Duty is still that. Oh yeah and you can move anything that God has made moveable at the same time.
  • RoundtrackerRoundtracker Member Posts: 5
    9,016 miles on my 08. EGR valve went out. Check engine light came on and it had a loss of power not long after. Found out that it is a big problem with these tucks. So much so that there is a national back order on them. They pulled all of the old ones off the shelf and are building new ones. In the mean time, after a short temper tantrum, I'm cruising in my Pontiac G6 rental until they can get some in.
  • dtdmdtdm Member Posts: 5
    2008 F-250 Crewcab 4X4 auto 3.73, 16-17 interstate and 13-14 city. 2008 F-250 regular cab 4X4 4.10 6 speed manual, 18-19 interstate and 14-15 city. I have towed 7,000lbs for 600 miles with the Crewcab. Not bad on flat rolling hills, lacks on mountains but hey its a V-8. MPG towing 9-10 interstate.
    30,000 miles with out a issue. One problem, torn door seal.
    I agree, why would you even think of going 95. The truck weighs in around 8k, so your at 15k+ with trailer. Think of the family in the car your going to kill. I have towed abit and have not had any issues. Dealer maintained and not one issue. If you take care of it and leave it the way it stock will take a beating.
    Yhea ask the dealer that question and see how fast they will void your warrenty.
    How does the moss magnuson act of 1975 section 2302 interfer with a extend warrenty? The Ford extend warrenty states you will follow the maintenance manual. Why are people buying the 6.4 and paying almost $7,000 more for 3 dollar fuel and a smog filter that costs $3,000 and has to be change at 100,000 miles, which is not that long for a diesel. You can buy a 5.4 or 6.8 for less than a $1000 more than 5.4. I was told the 5.4 in the SD is not the same as the 5.4 in the F-150. I was told this by the dealer, he also said to make sure they put the right 5.4 oil filter on it. I guess theres a different between the 5.4's. Anyone know any thing about it??
    Jubliant is your leak coming from the over flow tank.If it is you might want to check if it is the problem of the heads lifting and putting compression in to water jacket.This has been going on since 2002 and includes 2008 .The heads on these trucks only have 10 head bolts compaired to 20 on 7,3 diesels.go to messages on diesels in the 500 range of messages,lots of info
    that act prevents any dealer from voiding any type of manufacture warrenty.When I told the dealer that after they said they were cancling mine they droped it.You would have to chect on how it effects extended ones but I belive it works the same.
  • garthgarth Member Posts: 66
    I am having this exact same issue with My F350. What is interesting is that I pointed it out to the Ford Store in Morgan Hill about six months ago and was told it was not an issue. Yesterday when I take the truck in for a recall the service guy opens the hood and the first thing he looks at is the radiator coolent and says "oh you have a leak". Let me see how much it will cost to replace the radiator. Bunch of scam artists.
  • enough3enough3 Member Posts: 5
    Get ready for trouble. I have had 3 new radiators, new EGR valves and Coolers and the thing STILL doesn't work right. The regeneration process comes every 100 miles and no one knows how to fix it. I have 60,000 miles on mine and it breaks down all the time. Contacted Ford and they won't stand behind it. Prepare for a long drawn out tempertantrum if I were you.
    There is a MAJOR issue with Ford and their radiators/EGR valves. My EGR coolers went out at 45,000, the EGR valve was completely clogged and they had to break it off in chunks to replace it at 60,000 miles. It still doesn't run right. It regen's every 100-150 miles and NEVER says complete. Took it to 1 shop and they said "nothing wrong" took it to another shop within 150 miles and they said there is something wrong. Sick of the whole truck.
    its the egr valves and coolers, no codes will show up, ford tech's will look at you like a deer in headlights, but they know.

There is a problem here, MAJOR problem.
  • garthgarth Member Posts: 66
    I have this exact same leak on my 2008 F350 6.4L. Took it into The Ford Store in Morgan Hill, California and they are telling me that it will not be covered under warranty. The truck currently has 41K miles on it and was in the shop for a routine service in December and nobody mentioned either the recall of that this seems to be a known issue with Ford 2008 trucks. Anybody have any advise as I dnt really want to pay $1690 to have the radiator replaced on a one year old truck.

Ford's only comment is that they issued a directive last year to have all 2008 diesel trucks inspected for this issue but they are not issuing a recall as it only seems to be affecting the early 2008 models. Anybody have any recommendations?
    They now say it is a bad processor and the word came directly from Ford. The processor is sending out these erronious signals. They have ordered the new processor and I am waiting on it. This sucks.
  • albertaoilalbertaoil Member Posts: 1
    I've read all these posts. I have had the rad problem. About 35000 Km. My dealership knew the problem and had 12 rads in stock. The reprogam was done and all it seemed to do was show me when exhaust filter was cleaning. I had the driver's seat element replaced. My milage is between 13 empty and 25 L/100Km loaded, 4 wheel drive in 6" mud and idling all day (some days I shows 99L/100 km. It won't go any higher. It never shuts off for a few weeks at a time) It's a F350 long box crew and has over 1 ton of tools and pressure unit skid in the back ( don't tell Ford about the overload problem). I'm turning 37" tires with a 2 1/2 " lift. I have ran all the big three and I want to say this is the best damb truck I have ever had. I Just got rid of a 06 Dodge and my back and and hearing will never be the same. I have backtracked on lease roads to pull Chevys that were plowing snow or mud with bigger lifts. This truck has the most power (dodge had more torque but I hated shutting it off at a drive through for them to hear my order). This truck has more cab space then anything on the market. I drive this truck, and all that I have owned, like they do on the commercials. This is the best damb work truck there is and this is the first one that I am happy with in all the aspects of my job. I get tired of people complaining about things like injectors and milage. Dodge goes through injectors evert 15000 Km and brakes every 10000. Chevy acts like a plow out here and the front ends are in for repair all the time. These are the best trucks on the market for the time being. If you have a problem with milage increase your rates. You bought a truck for work and that is what this truck does best!
    You shouldn't have replied to me, maybe someone else. I'm not fussin about mileage because I know I didn't buy a Hybrid. I owned four Internationals during the height of diesel prices. I love the truck. I shopped every make and model before making the decision. My father has a 350 and best friend has a 250 HD package. My only concern is what I posted and I was seeking others that may have experienced it. I was told the EGR problem was an epidemic by the Ford service peple. Now I'm bein told i wasn't the EGR valve it is a bad processor telling it that the EGR valve is bad. Meanwhile I had the symptoms of a bad EGR valve. Loss of boost/power. Love the truck but don't love the rental car!
    I went thru the same thing, My F-250 had 41k miles also. Took it in for service and they said they had a few recalls 1 being the value that causes the problem, That recall was issued in Oct 2008 and said to have it replaced by Jan 31, as I did after the replacement my Radiator started leaking and they told me I needed a new one. I had it replaced at my cost. I pulled all service records and started with the service manager, I was able to produce all documents and the truck was fine until they started replacing things. I had to go owner of the dealer ship which I scheduled a meeting for, by being able to produce all documents that I followed What ford had recommended, he said it's not up to the dealership, but he did make calls to ford and Ford did cover this under warranty and I'm waiting on my refund at this time.

Others, if your truck is under warranty, get this checked ASAP, if you are out of Warranty, keep all paper work, and plead your case properly, also everyone should file a complaint with BBB as instructed in the back of your owners manual. The more of us that do this the better chances are for a Ford Recall on the Radiator.
    Ironically, I get the call today that the processor came in and was installed. However; They notcied my radiator leaking and have ordered a new one. It will be installed today and ready for pick up in the morning. The service manager said they have replaced over one hundred radiators at this small dealership. Unbelievable.
    Picked up the truck today and it seems to be running well. Shift points are different but the power seems fine. Ford rep just happened to be there. He said that the radiator I received is the revised one and that will last the life of the truck. They had been replacing the bad ones with "bad ones". That is why they put two and three of them in because they didn't have the revised radiator to replace the bad ones with. With all of that, my hood was scratched and they will have to repair that next week.
    He also said that Ford will have it's own diesel motors begining 2010.
    I have heard very little about that new Ford deisel engine. Does anyone have any details?
  • 08forddiesel08forddiesel Member Posts: 2
    I have a 08 6.4L with 21k miles. Had the software updates at 16k and engine ran fine. With 21k started the truck, white smoke, no power, felt like it was running on 2 cylinders. Shift points changed, mileage went in the tank and power was horrible. Managed to get the truck to the dealer; they were clueless for the first 2d and now claim its the EGR valve; and of course Ford has not issued the release date for the revised part so it was setting at the dealer. Picked it up and now its setting in my driveway waiting for parts. For those who have been here, how long did it take for the parts to arrive, did this fix the issue or is this just another ploy to get it out of warranty?
  • 08forddiesel08forddiesel Member Posts: 2
    See my recently posted email; right now I am not exactly thrilled