Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MX-5/Miata: Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    Hi, Bert and Jenny..

Since this discussion is focused on pricing, you might have better luck with one of our other Miata discussions.

Try here: Mazda Miata

Good luck!
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• rerednawrerednaw Member Posts: 16
    Been shopping since November 2007. I offered cash up front for a 2008 if the dealer would adhere to the S-Plan. Both Mazda dealerships in town declined. I expanded my inquiries to Arizona and California. Any dealer within 500 miles of me said no. With the PRHT some were offering MSRP+ (up to 5k) which I considered ridiculous. For $30k+ I'm looking at a bunch of alternatives.

So I went ahead and decided to buy used. Went with a 2006. 3rd generation and the last one to have a 4yr/50k warranty. 07 and 08 now I have 3yr/36k.
    Touring 6 speed automatic. Certified one owner, 10k miles, clean title. Runs fine so far. I paid $15k. Could have probably bargained lower...

Considering that in Las Vegas no dealer would go below $17000 (before tax and their obscene $400 doc fee which doesn't include plates or registration by the way, you do that yourself here) for a 06 sport, I think I did okay.

Bought out of state so I have to pay sales tax in NV when I register (ouch). I've picked up or ordered some other items (see below for a breakdown on cost)

Not quite used to the automatic. Even with the tip-tronic, there's a delay in shifting (very noticeable from 1st to 2nd). In automatic mode shifting is a bit easier, although there is the tendency to auto-downshift which is annoying at the shifting-breakpoint speeds. Another funny quirk, if you make your turns easy, the turn signal doesn't shut off. Handling is excellent. Steering is quite responsive. Not much noticeable sidesway.

My previous experiences are with a S2000 (04) and a Carrera (07). While not having as much pep, overall this car has been very enjoyable and for day to day top down cruising the MX-5 is hard to beat.

So far my cost:

Car $15000
    Seat Covers $150 (black interior in Vegas summers = bad idea)
    Mud Guards $150 (plus a couple of hours of sweat and cursing the teeny-tiny instructions. The silly plastic bolts unscrew dammit...and why do dealer mechanics not install bolts to the proper torque specs?)
    Dealer touch-up paint $6
    Door edge guards $2
    Dash cover $40
    Carfax 30 days $30
    K&N Air Filter $36.50 (no tax, free shipping)
    Shipping $500 (pesky California law)
    Doc fee $55 (reasonable for a dealer)
    Insurance $900/yr
    Registration $1200 (estimated)
    =========================
    Total cost to me so far: 18,069.50
  • peterrabbidpeterrabbid Member Posts: 1
    I wanted a black GT PRHT with everything except Sirius radio. I found two in the Houston area by using the MazdaUSA.com inventory search tool (this is a fantastic tool. Thanks Mazda!)

I started with one of those buying services where they have a supposedly pre-negotiated price. HAH! The one dealer in my area that was on this plan sent me e-mail after e-mail trying to explain how they were getting several $1000 over MSRP. I went to another dealer and dealed down to a few hundred over MSRP, but asked them to hold the deal for 24 hours.

The third dealer went back and forth a few times, but I ended up paying what I was hoping and drove out with the exact car I wanted at several hundred under the MSRP. The guys at Joe Myers in Houston were excellent to work with and I was well pleased.
  • miatamama1miatamama1 Member Posts: 41
    It seems to me that pricing is all over the map. I am not sure if it's the part of the country you are in or what.

I contacted a number of dealerships by email and went into several. Nobody would budge off of sticker price. However, that was also when some were still on the boat and had not arrived at the dealership and they didn't have many in stock. Anyway, I paid sticker for 08 PRHT Grand Touring. I have decided I will NEVER do that again. This car is special and a one-timer for me.
  • robger99robger99 Member Posts: 42
    Hi. looking for any advice on a good lease on mx5 touring w. automatic trans.24-27 months 15 k/year miles total out of pocket $1000.00. Have a$500.00 Mazda loyalty voucher as am currently in a speed 6 lease. Thanks
  • drjetdrjet Member Posts: 1
    I don't know about the collectability of the 10th AE Miatas just yet. I have a 10th AE Miata (#3453) with every available factory option, hardtop, tonneau, OEM service manual, complete gift set and more. I've been thinking about trading or selling it, but the way everyone seems to be talking, I suppose I should just hang onto it until the 25th AE comes out. I paid over $32K for it in 1999, you would think it would be worth at least fifty cents on the dollar.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention: it has 4,900 original miles on it.
  • howiebxhowiebx Member Posts: 20
    After much research, road tested Miata, 350Z and Accord Coupe. All are attractive, but I wanted to have some fun with the top down.
    I will be buying or leasing in about a week.
    It is a 3rd car, other is a suv and 4 door (wife & 2 teen drivers)
    I was offered this (did not negotiate yet)

Grand Touring with Leather, soft top and limited slip package = $25,900
    Lease for 24 months at $295 with 2000 + tax down, 10,500 miles
    Lease for 36 months at $369 with 0 down, 10,500 miles

Any recommendations on model choices?
    How do you like your car?
    Is the door cupholder annoying?
    THANKS FOR YOUR ADVICE
  • sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    I Love my 2007 Grand touring PRHT.
    Cup holder is fine for me. I have heard taller people complain that it hits their knee, but at 5'8", I never touch it. Check out miata.net for some solutions and suggestions if it bothers you......

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

• sellaturcicasellaturcica Member Posts: 145
    There's still quite a bit of stock in new 2007 Miatas in my area, I even have choice of color that I want. Anyone ever bought a new car almost a whole year after they hit the lot? What kind of a discount can you expect? Should I offer the used price?
    New Haven.
    I am ready to purchase can you please tell me which dealer you recommned, thanks
    I've never bought a Mazda. Use the inventory search on Mazda's website, there were quite a few 2007s around NYC as well, from what I remember.
  • marshalljaymarshalljay Member Posts: 9
    First, I hate the door cupholder. Easily the worst "improvement" they've made. I'm 6-0, it hits my knee square. Ouch.

Unless you're planning on racing it, I'd sure look hard at the PRHT - that's the only reason why I traded in my 2000 LS. Have only had it a week, but love the hardtop. :)

as for price - got blue book retail for my old car, off a price that was 1000 off MSRP. So figured I did ok - was leery about holding out longer, just because of fuel and shipping costs, plus any currency fluctuations. --decided that while they may cut a better deal at the end of the season, the possible price increases made me jump on this one.

plus - got the PRHT on a Grand Touring, with the 6 speed but on other options - just the way I wanted it.
  • lilmimililmimi Member Posts: 1
    Hi!

It was very difficult to find my 08' PRHT in stormy blue mica with tan leather..... but I finally did. Got this car with sirius satellite radio, wheel locks, and premium pkg 2 for $29225 + tax & license. I also bought the extended warranty (10 years/100,000 mi) for about $1300, but it was important to me. Most dealers in CA were adding an additional $5000 for this car, but my dealership (Lithia Motors in Fresno CA) does not add this in. Funny thing is that, I shopped all over the state (our dealer only had red) and a dealer in another town wanted to sell me the exact same car for $6000 more!!! Lithia, who does a LOT of car sales and trades, was able to get this same car for me. I didn't know that is was the same one until I saw the sticker on the window showing the dealership who originally had it. Yeah for me! :shades:
    Who knew? Enjoy the car.
  • rheaume1rheaume1 Member Posts: 4
    Purchased a new 2006 Limited #356 of a total of 750 in the U.S.A. and 1500 worldwide! This is the top of the line!! Paid full list of 27,260
  • chrishhchrishh Member Posts: 17
    Seeing that MX5 sales are down 24% for the year and were down a whopping 28% in May I am thinking it might be best to wait till July to buy. It cannot be long before Mazda is forced to put incentives out to sell them. I wouldn't mind a lease but the last Miata I owned; 2000; was a great car and served me well till 2005 when I sold it.

Anyone else think incentives are on the way for sales?
  • rerednawrerednaw Member Posts: 16
    Probably most vehicles with less than high fuel efficiency are going to get cut.

Considering that when I tried for 6 months to buy a MX5 for a reasonable price and every dealer tried the MSRP +$5k game utterly disgusted me. So they lost my cash sale at the S-Plan price and I bought a used one.

Serves them right.

My next car is going to be an EV so Mazda lost out again...unless they actually make an EV Miata. :p

Still I'm getting 30-34 MPG. Not where I could be, but not too bad.
  • chrishhchrishh Member Posts: 17
    Well my local dealer is advertising new miatas at 19,999... and that is 600 below invoice if KBB is to be believed for the sport model
  • stealthmode200stealthmode200 Member Posts: 1
    Hey everybody - I bought my Miata a month ago - it's a 97 M Edition. I paid $2500 for it!! I had never driven a Miata, but I'm hooked. I resqued it from a young girl who was not taking good care of it, regarding maintenance. It's in good condition over all, I've had a few things fixed on it (mechanical stuff) and it's running good.

My only complaint is the floor vents always blow hot air when the AC is on & the center console is very warm, almost hot. Has anyone else had this problem. Thanks - look forward to hearing from other Miata owners!!
  • sladzinssladzins Member Posts: 2
    They did in fact offer 1.9%/36 month financing in May, at least in New Jersey. Hopefully they'll offer it again with price cuts.
    Hi, stealthmode200..

Is the '97 M model the burgundy one? I always liked those...

Be sure to check out our other Miata discussions here:

Mazda Miata

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• wings73wings73 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought my first Miata--it's a 2008 Grand Touring PRHT, Copper Red Mica, tan leather interior. They only came down about $500 from sticker at the dealer here in Arkansas. I drove it off the lot with only 8 miles on it...I think half of that was from my test drive. Have been a fan for years and finally took the plunge. Love the hardtop and the handling...zoom, zoom...should be fun for the next few years. :shades:
  • jmoccajmocca Member Posts: 1
    i just bought a miata in northeast. grand touring with premium package for $28000 plus tax license. they are trimming prices, but they low balled me with pretty high documentation fees ($700 total).

I did not bother confronting them with it since they gave me what i believe is a sweet deal compared to 3 months ago, but still i think i should've and could've gotten a much better deal on this.

the same dealer also sold a stormy blue mica touring, which they previously told me is impossible to get due to demand.

watch your wallet
  • mrvfrmrvfr Member Posts: 6
    One local Mineapolis dealer is advertising $3k off softops and $2k off PHRT's - prices shown on Autotrader. They also ran a July 4th promo of an additional $250 off, so I picked up an 08 Touring for $3250 off sticker + $50 doc fee +TTL. Thanks Walser Mazda.
  • racqueteerracqueteer Member Posts: 1
    I haven't pulled the string yet, as I want to see about a late-season rebate, but for information purposes, I have had three offers at invoice price on the 2008 prht grand touring with premium, suspension, and appearance packages. This is in NY. This Fall could be the best buying opportunity possible.
  • traughtraugh Member Posts: 3
    There was a guy in my area selling a 2008 with 5000 on craigslist for around $18K. He sold it to someone at work the day I was supposed to meet him.

Just on a hunch I went to cars.com and loaded in the year I wanted and found a copper red Touring model with 4,000 mi. and AT for under 20K. (My wife wanted the AT). It had been a rental car and is very good condition. Considering how much I saved over what the dealers were asking, I grabbed it.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter hopes to interview a consumer who has negotiated a great deal on a car recently. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com before Friday, October 10, 2008 with your daytime contact information and a few words about your experience.
  • Barbara1224Barbara1224 Member Posts: 1
    Now I'm looking to pay at or under invoice for the 2008 model and I may or may not opt for the hard top since I'm in South Florida and it never snows. I want optimum visibility through the rear so that would determine if my choice is a soft or hard top. Now I like the engine and drive train features in the 2009 but I'm not sure its worth paying for. Here are two pictures of the car. I also don't think I'll opt for the leather interior but rather the cloth unless I get invoice or below and an even better deal.

Here are 2 pictures of a similar car.

:D
    http://www.marketgems.com/2008_mx5_grand_touring_hard_top.htm

These are some of those features.

Engine
    1.8L displacement double overhead cam (DOHC), inline 4 cylinder configuration gas engine, 16 valves variable valve timing, 142 hp @ 7000 rpm 125 ft-lbs. @ 5500 rpm, regular unleaded fuel

DriveTrain
    5-speed manual transmission rear wheel drive, four-wheel independent suspension front and rear stabilizer bar"

I already own a Mazda 3 from this dealership in South Florida (for another 2 years) so I'm hoping he comes up with a good 36 month lease for me. What's the best I can negotiate? My credit rating is in the first tier.
  • richard1957richard1957 Member Posts: 5
    I just purchased a used 2008 hard top grand touring with 1300 miles. Selling price was 21.9k. The car was fairly loaded with the suspension package, option package 1, Mazda Speed tuned exhaust, Sirius radio for 2 years, wheel locks etc. When I look at the front of the car I notice it has an air dam below the grille which I do not see on many pics I see of this car and I am not sure if this was something the owner purchased after (not sure) as some ground effects package. I do not feel like I got the best possible deal but I do think I did well. The car is sound with no flooding or wrecks etc and is basically brand new. It is the highland green which was not my first choice in color but I am glad I was open to looking at this color because I love it. I enjoy driving this roadster and I now understand the concept of what Mazda was trying to do with this car as far as making driving an experience!
    Richard

I can't answer your question but I would like to comment on your deal. A year ago, I spent 30,000 for the same car (new). From my perpective, you got a great deal! Just relax and enjoy the car.
  • tishpit1tishpit1 Member Posts: 24
    I had a 1990 original Miata... my baby girl. Sadly, I traded her for a new 2008 Nissan Sentra since I needed a 4-door sedan for work and practical reasons. I missed the loss of vitamin D from the topless Miata cruising and now... my company is getting a minivan for us to use! I can have another Miata!!!! But wait... gotta dump the nearly brand new Sentra... (very nice car, but too hard to saw off the roof!). Near-by Mazda dealer has a 2008 brand new GT with auto. reduced to $21,400 ($4,000 off sticker). I'm thinking of trying to work a trade on the Nissan and putting little $ down to keep my payments the same by leasing the Miata for 36 mos. Anyone have experience with Mazda leasing??? Can you work off a discounted price (including rebate)? Any suggestions of how to work in the trade since it is such a new car (not upside down on payments, luckily). I would prefer to lease and turn in for newer model in 3 yrs. when warranty runs out and to keep monthly payments within reason, but I've never leased before. Buying would bring too high monthly payments at this point in time. Looking for some good suggestions on how to deal with the dealer! ZOOM-ZOOM!
  • bayfrontcruisebayfrontcruise Member Posts: 1
    Some dealers in the Portland area are advertising 5 to 6K off of MSRP for the last of the new 2008 Miatas. Does anyone have recent new purchases to report on? Please note the MSRP & actual purchase price before your taxes etc? Thanks.

With the new federal deduction of sales taxes on new car purchases for your '09 taxes, this is a good time to look for new.
    I've cross posted on the 2008 thread as it seems to have more action, but this is really a price question. Looking at a leftover new 2008 Grand Touring that is stickered at $26,585. It was advertised at $22,400. At the same dealership, a new '08 Touring was reduced $6,000 off sticker and was sold. Can I expect a similar or better discount on the GT? Also, can you still lease a 2008??? (The color is dark which is not popular in south Florida, so I figure that is one of the reasons the car is still unsold).
  • erics6erics6 Member Posts: 684
    I've seen weekend ads in the Oregonian for $7,000 off MSRP for all 08's left in stock. The dealer in Milwaukie and Hillsboro seem to be the most aggressive in getting rid of remaining inventory.
  • myspringermyspringer Member Posts: 13
    US buyers may want to try Canada Toronto area for new left over 2007 and 2008's with full warranty.
    I am 450 miles away from Toronto.
    I just purchased a 2007 GT with PP for $22,000.00 Can. plus taxes

If you buy from the USA there is a big money exchange discount and u still do not have to pay the Can taxes.

At one time I used to buy my cars in the states when the exchange rates were much lower or reversed.

Just check with your American customs as to what the procedures are.
    Some of the Toronto dealers may be able to give u that info.
    Be careful of low-balling prices. I just wasted a half day at a Mazda dealership about an hour or so drive from my home. The dealer offered me an in-stock '08 Sport Auto. at about $7,000 under sticker. When I showed up to do the deal, they first showed NOTHING for my trade, then wrote it up without the 7k discount... only sticker minus Mazda rebate! They played games with the numbers to the point I left and was ready to give up on a new Miata altogether. But I got a call from another dealer... 1 1/2 hr. drive away... has a Touring in stock, not a color I prefer, but this time I have prices in writing before venturing out there. We are very close... if it's going to work, will have the car by Tuesday. If not.. will wait till March '10 and try for a leftover 2009 and in the meantime pay down the current car and save more $$$. Will let you know what happens!
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ........If not.. will wait till March '10 and try for a leftover 2009 and in the meantime pay down the current car and save more $$$. Will let you know what happens!

......CarsDirect.com shows $2500 figure as a rebate. Yesterday Tracy Honda showed a $5k rebate number on four 2008 MX-5 cars.

Please keep those cards and letters coming.

ez....
    After being lied to, beaten up, and game-played with the numbers, I was about ready to concede and give up on a new Miata. Then, I found an ERROR in a local dealership's website. The Mazda site said they had several automatic '08 Miatas. According to the dealer site, they had none... all sticks. I called and learned Mazda site was correct. They had about 6 leftover '08's all automatics! I faxed them my price. They faxed back a Purchase Order that had a LOWER bottom line than I offered and 5% APR for 60 mos. I drove down last night after work, ready to have them switch the price and jack it up and play games. Much to my surprise, the salesman was WONDERFUL, the managers were GREAT, they honored their price and I was driving home in a new silver Touring!!!! I would HIGHLY recommend Naples Mazda in Naples, FL. The most trouble-free and honest dealing I've had with any dealer in years. Ask for Dan! (No, I'm not being paid for this endorsement LOL!).
  • texag74texag74 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2008 Touring rag top with sport suspension, wheel locks, appearance package for 19,493 here in Panama City Florida. Dealer was only going to come down the 5grand Mazda is taking off 08's but I showed him what USAA buying service listed as their price to members and he gave me that.
  • smiley10smiley10 Member Posts: 24
    Does anyone have a good dealer to recommend in MA where to buy 2008 Miata.

thanks
  • lch77lch77 Member Posts: 53
    All the local dealers in southeast PA seem to be advertising $6,000 to $6,200 off. That would appear to be the $5,000 rebate plus about 1/2 of the dealer profit (this is based on 2009 pricing since Edmunds is either no longer publishing invoice pricing for the "08's or I can't find it. Most the cars I have found are GT (both hard & soft top with either Automatic or Maual) and range in MSRP from about $29,000 to $32,000. I'm guessing that invoice on these cars is about $2,500 less than MSRP. I would think that a dealer would be happy to sell a 2008 Miata for Invoice less the $5,000 rebate or at least $7,5000 of MSRP. However, Mazda has always seemed to be more secretive than others in disclosing all of the rebates that are available to the dealer.

I'm also guessing if 2008 Miata's remain unsold by the end of April, they'll extend or increase the promotion through May.

I made a low ball offer of $13,500 yesterday on a Blue GT PRHT with an MSRP of $29,620. I proposed $8,120 discount plus $8,000 for my 2002 Audi A4 3.0 Quatro, loaded, clean but with 140,000 miles. They came back with $5,000 for the A4 and a discount of $6,989. The discount sounds OK until you are told that they had a parking lot accident that they've repaired but remains on the title.

There are at 3 Black/Tan Miata's within 35 miles of here and I'll see what they can do and report back. It looks like my best bet will be to find a private buyer for the A4 around $7,000 (since I just put $2500 into the A4) and "courtesy trade" it on the Miata.

Anyone have a better handle on invoice pricing on the 2008's and/or reports how much off MSRP (or under/over invoice) people are paying for these?
  • sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    Go on Miata.net and look up NC. You will see forums, and I just read that someone got about $9200.00 off of a leftover 2008.
    I bought a 2007 PRHT and paid list for it. I still love it, (but would have loved it better with a huge price discount)

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

I picked up a Galaxy Gray GT yesterday here in Oregon. $9250 off the sticker of $27,235. OTD price of $18,203 with title and registration (no sales tax in Oregon). Seems like the deals are running $7k to $9k off sticker.
  • lch77lch77 Member Posts: 53
    One dealer wouldn't go lower than about $6,300. off MSRP. Another offered $6,989. The third agreed to $8,040 off ($22,350 for a GT PRHT with an MSRP of $30,390). I couldn't get him to go lower and didn't want to risk what might happen to the rebate next month or having to choose a different car that had more options than I wanted. Picking it up tonight.
  • tboyd1tboyd1 Member Posts: 1
    I traded my 2007 Grand Touring MX-5 in on the new 2009 Competition Yellow MX-5. I love it but still cannot believe that there were less than 350 total manufactured in the Nation.I had to pay extra $3000.00 so total was 33,715 for a loaded Grand Touring and it is rare as the production has stopped on this color.
  • dugldugl Member Posts: 10
    I just picked-up a left-over 2008 Touring model with retractable hard top and zero mileage for $20k. Stormy Blue Mica 6 speed. At the time the dealer had 3 -2008 models left.
    I was quoted in the Wall Street Journal today on my recent purchase. Times aren't so good for manufacturers or dealers, but they are great for consumers.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124217606060513323.html
    Nice mention of Edmunds.com in that article, as well...

But, next time... try to work our name into your quote.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

This discussion has been closed.