Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac Escalade

Comments

• bradenbraden Member Posts: 8
    Be sure and wait until the homelink light in the Escalade is blinking. The Cadillac manual says it can take 30 seconds. It took longer than that on our Escalade. The light is small and may
    be difficult to see in the SUV. Just follow the instructions in the Escalade owners manual
    under "Rolling Codes". It does work, but you must be sure to follow the instructions. It took me a couple of trys because I didn't read the instruction in detail. Read it a couple of times before
    trying, and be sure the homelink light on the headliner blinks like they say in the manual. I never even looked at the Liftmaster manual. I assume you Liftmaster has the rolling code feature if it is a newer unit. If it is older, you will have to use the other procedure in the Escalade manual.
    The dealer ended up charging me $350 for the gold trim. Had the 2002 Escalade 4 days
    now and no problems.
  • gjockeygjockey Member Posts: 11
    Braden,

For the Gold Trim, as far as the Cadillac emblem goes, did they plate the perimeter of the "square" medallion itself and the wreath or just the wreath? Did you like the results?Thanks ---- John
    Hi everybody,

Just bought an Escalade yesterday and wanted to pass on my experience. I live near the Miami area and paid 1,500 off list for the AWD + sunroof. NO dealer added stuff on the car like pinstripes etc.
    I started the process by going to the cadillac site and using their "dealer locater" program to find all Caddy dealers in my area. I clicked on the links to each dealer and I filled out the model and request best price form on the dealer/cadillac website (almost all the Caddy dealers are linked to the Cadillac site and have the request best price option). -To use this feature, you need to login and create an ID first on the cadillac website-. All 7 dealers that used this program responded back and the answers I got were MSRP to $2,000 off.
    There were 2 dealers that didn't use this "program" so I called them directly. One of the 2 was Braman Cadillac.. the place I bought my Escalade. To make a long story short, Braman told me the best they could do if I bought it that day was $1,500 off on a black Escalade they had on the lot... They knew I had a $2,000 off offer and wouldn't match it. I walked out and went to Williamson (had a $2K off sticker offer from there).. but they didn't have Black and said it would take at least a month.. so I went back to Braman and got it there.
    Point of the story, 2K off seems to be the best in the Miami area if you're willling to wait.. The fact that Braman was willing to lose a sale and not go lower than 1.5K off says alot. Also, if you have several dealers in your area.. you MUST email them all asking them for their best price.... say you are not in a hurry. The internet sales manager will realize that you are probably comparison shopping and you should find one or 2 that will give you a legitimate best deal to grab your business. My salesperson at Braman could hardly believe I got a 2K off offer from Williamson... Obviously, what Williamson was trying to do was lowball all the internet offers to try to get volume that they wouldn't have got normally. The funny thing is, when I walked into Williamson... the internet sales manager was not there. I spoke with a regular sales person and they said they were doing MSRP on the Escalades. I bet if you did not get an internet offer from Williamson and just walked in there instead, you would have a hell of a time trying to bargain 2K off. ----------- John
  • bassamaticbassamatic Member Posts: 79
    I tried the suggestion posted previously to the letter and also tried again the procedure outlined in the manual under the "rolling code" paragraph but to no avail. After programming, I had my daughter look at the Liftmaster unit while I was in the car and she said the light on the LM blinked rapidly each time I pressed the Homelink button, but the door did not open or close. I know the door works as it opens and closes whenever the remote controller is pressed. I also know the Homelink works OK as I tried it on my neighbors door--his is a Link system. Also, I do have the "random code feature". This is driving me crazy!!

Braden---You said that it required two people to program yours. As I read these posts, it can be done with one person (and as stated in the manual) as long as you stay under the 30 second requirement. Was this correct? Did you have another procedure?

Any other suggestions??
    Thanks,
    clay
  • bassamaticbassamatic Member Posts: 79
    Took the advice one more time posted here and sat down and re-read the manual on the rolling code paragraph and realized what I was doing wrong. I had been erasing the code in Homelink thinking I needed to start with no code in place, yet when I saw it say to push the button on the "programmed" button, I saw my mistake. It now works fine.
    Thanks for the help here, I do appreciate it braden, et al.
    clay
    They did the perimeter of the "square" medallion and the wreath both front and back. Also
    the ESCALADE badging on the sides and rear. Would also like to have the emblems on
    the wheels done at some point. Will have to get a price for that one of these days..
    When they were doing the plating on the grill emblem, they dripped some on the
    grill. So instead of replacing the grill, they installed the add on chrome grill. They said it
    was a $800 feature(who knows?), but anyway they didn't charge me for it. It looks
    good.
    Braden,

Is the Chrome Grill add on a 3rd party item? My dealer never brought it up to me when I was tlaking to him about appearance options.. Also, does the chrome Grill "glue" on to the current grill.. covering most but not all of the grill? Thanks------ John
  • lspanglerlspangler Member Posts: 102
    Another way to see how the tow haul mode works when your vehicle is unloaded is to turn it on when you are stuck in traffic going from 0 - 20 mph. I can't remember the exact numbers but the trans in tow mode will hold first until something like 22 mph and won't upshift to 2nd like normal until you exceed 22 mph, i think. So if you accelerate to 15 and let off the gas in normal mode the trans will shift into second or even third, in tow mode it will stay in first. If your above 22 but not above 35 it will hold second gear. This makes the trans last longer as it eliminates a lot of unnecassary up and down shifts in traffic.

try it sometime and tell me if it works
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Shaq owns one

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

The chrome grill is screwed onto the existing grill, covering it almost completely.
    I don't know if it is a third party grill or a Cadillac option. Like I said, they added it
    on because of their mistake when putting on the gold trim, I didn't order it. I saw
    another one on a 2002 Escalade on the road the other day. You might check with
    the Cadillac dealers parts department instead of the salesman.
    IS it just me or do the reviews seem schizo. Great luxury one day and cheap in another review the next? what gives... Does Cadillac have really variable assembly quality.. some test review models good and some horrible?-------- John
  • josephnp1josephnp1 Member Posts: 1
    I have noted that sometimes when shifting to PARK the shift lever will stop at REVERSE, and give you the impression that the vehicle is in PARK. I went to a dealer lot and checked another vehicle and readily duplicated the problem. When going to PARk, a conscious effort must be made to pull the shift lever toward you and it will go readily in to PARK. If you only move it slightly toward you, it will stop at REVERSE. If you don't move it toward you at all, it will only go to NEUTRAL. Tried to duplicate this on a new TAHOE and it goes to PARK without a hitch.
    Even though I discovered this the HARD WAY, a bumper was all that was damaged. ALL owners and any one you let drive this vehicle, should be made aware of this defect. I am only glad that a dumpster stopped my car, as opposed to a child.
    Anyone know how to set the 'SIC" digital display to show
    the time of day as the default display instead of the day,
    month and year? The analog clock is not that easy to read from the
    drivers seat. The time of day is in the computer, but it
    is only displayed about 30 seconds and it goes back to the
    day month and year.
  • phattrukphattruk Member Posts: 4
    You are so right . The clock that they provide in this 50K truck is worthless from the drivers position. So far I haven't been able to keep the SC clock on. The dealer claims there is no way to do keep the SIC clock displaying all the time. I can certainly use the time info better than the date info. Other than that I just put 700 miles on my truck (1 week old) and it rides great. I'm even getting 15.6 MPG doing 70-75 MPH.....
  • robh3robh3 Member Posts: 157
    I was talking with my Caddy service advisor yesterday when I brought my STS in for an oil change, and he was telling me that they can't keep the 4WD Escalades on the lot, they are selling so fast.

This being Southern California, he said that the young music and entertainment industry stars are buying them up and also having them customized with DVD screens galore, etc.

The 2WD models apparently are not selling as well because people seem to want the more powerful engine.

One caveat to those with their mind set on lowering the Escalade is that you can NOT lower the 4WD model. It screws up the whole suspension/Stabilitrac technology and the "check stability control" light on the dashboard will remain lighted at all times.
  • sweetjeldoradosweetjeldorado Member Posts: 94
    In one of the SUV magazine, they had a customize Escalade with 500 horses with 22" of custom rims in Silver Sand exterior with chrome tow hooks.

The inside is customize slightly mostly with added electronics.

It is customize by a friend who owns the shop who has a friend as a partner who is a current NFL star.

J "CaddyLac"
  • alexjr1alexjr1 Member Posts: 19
    Has anyone looked into a navigation system that fits nicly in the center consoule. I had a 01' Odyessey with a navigation system thean traded it in for an an escalade. For the business that im in the navigation system came in really useful. I know they it has onstar but i rather have a GPS system. If anyone could lead me in a direction to find one I apreciate it.
    I prefer the Escalade over the Yukon Denali. Curious what I am talking about read the road test. A good one.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=3925&sid=181&n=157

J "CaddyLac"

• mbclk430mbclk430 Member Posts: 58
    Robh,

In Todays Sport Utility Magazine (the same one sweetjeldorado refers to above), that particular escalde was equipped with either 20/22" wheels and was also lowered.
    It may be a 2WD Escalade. Either that, or for the sake of "looks" they went ahead and screwed up the Stabilitrac and are dealing with the dashboard light being on all the time.
    Alex,

Someone over on the Lexus LX470 topic spoke of a "Garmin GPS III+ on the dash...less than $500!" for his navigation needs.

I do not know what that is but maybe you are familiar with it. Hope this helps.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I bet lowering it and putting on the 22" rims helps a lot with using the off-road capabilities of an SUV :) Can't wait to jack up my porsche and put on some nice BFG MT's with 15" steel rims, and 33" tires. Afterall the Carrera 4 is an AWD vehicle! :)

-mike

PS: before you flame, I'm just bustin on you guys, no harm intended.
    This past weekend I went to drive all the cars advertised. I arrived at the event late but anyway, here goes.

The Cadillac Escalade is very fast in from 0-60 and I was amazed how well it handled through the cones. It was more car-like and the suspension is Deville-like on sample pothole-like things in the pavement. The engine sound was noticeable but not loud once press on the gas. Interior Design is nice same as exterior design which I said beforehand which I would never praised about any truck exterior as drop-dead gorgeous but this one. This beast has prestige and presence; and the Navigator, I HATE IT. I will tell you why. Over the logstrips and suction-like things on the track, it was harsh and rocked me somewhat, the Escalade was the opposite. It was hard to handle the truck through the cones and it clumsily lean and wallow and every thing. This is a pure truck that is obviously outdated. It had decent enough power but the SUV's looks is not as bold and flashy like the Escalade. The inside sucks!

Better in interior Design: Escalade
    Better exterior design: Escalade
    Better 0-60: Escalade
    Better car-like handler: Escalade
    Money no object, which to buy: Escalade

The technology of the Bose system was great same as for nightvision and On-star demonstration at the event. Absolutely different and world-class by yours truly, Cadillac.

J "CaddyLac"
    I guess the rims and tires are needed for the 500hp supercharged engine it also has......will probably blow the doors off your porsche.......lol.
  • dapetrundapetrun Member Posts: 15
    Alexjr1: I had an Alpine NVE-N852A receiver installed in the center console and an Alpine TME-750A 6.5 inch wide screen mounted to top leading edge of dash just above the radio. It works great and I don't have to take my eyes of the road to see the graphics of the mapping. I wanted it located so as to be within my peripheal vision. I've used others where the screen is located low in the console and it is much more dangerous to use. Total cost was $2650 installed (north Pittsburgh). Go to Alpine's web site and click on the link to locate dealers. Punch in your zip and read the list of dealers in your area. I would stay away from Circuit Cities and the like and concentrate on professional installs. My guy quoted me a price right off the top of his head without heitation (installed). This told me that he has done many of these installs on similar cars and knows exactly what to quote and still make a profit. Circuit City Mgr took 25 minutes and said it would be about $3500. I can send pics of the screen but the receiver is tucked under the console and out of view. Also, had complete entertainment system installed with same screens mounted in the backs of both front head rests. Awesome, includes TV/tuner with switching between TV/VCR/DVD-Sony Playstation. Sound piped through the cars sound sytem through FM modulator. Or/also, use the wireless headphones to watch the movies and let the driver listen to CD's tape or radio.
  • 4u24u2 Member Posts: 17
    Is NightVision offered on the '02 Escalade? It is not listed as standard/optional equipment on the Escalade.
    Night Vision is not available on the '02 Escalade.
  • christophkchristophk Member Posts: 1
    I bought a Magellan 750M system from AutoNav 2000 in San Jose, CA, for use in my 2002 Escalade. It is essentially an extremely portable version of the Magellan system known as "NeverLost" in the Hertz rental fleet. It now comes with the entire USA preloaded, altho' streetlevel detail is only in medium size cities and larger. Anyway, the "brain" sits in a small briefcase under the backseat and the control unit fits absolutely perfectly in the small flip up compartment of the center armrest console. You can still flip the console closed and nothing shows to would-be thieves. The navigation system works very well and I'm delighted. Plus I bought an extra antenna and extension cord so the whole system can be unplugged and taken on trips in 2 minutes for use in other cars. AutoNav2000 is a real service-oriented business and easy to work with. Look for the 750M in the product section of their website: www.autonav2000.com.
  • heatwave3heatwave3 Member Posts: 462
    sweetjeldorado: The article you cited above came to the following conclusion "The Denali could be the best premium full-size SUV on the market — even if it doesn't say "Cadillac" on the fender."

Also if your looking for all the luxury of the Escalade but need or want the extra space of a Suburban over a Yukon, your only choice is a Denali XL as the Escalade is not available in the larger body style.
    From what I have read, Cadillac will be bringing out an "XL" version of the Escalade. Probably in '02 as an '03.
  • tboneaz1tboneaz1 Member Posts: 2
    You can "appropriatly" lower/level a 4wd ESC. or Denali. Not sure of cost, but in So. Cal check out "Chariots of Fire" in San Diego (they have a web site). I have seen their work and is great. They won't even tell how they do it, but it is clean. No dash light problem. In the market for a Esc./Denali, 2002. Still undecided on which one. Found a dealer in Az who will sell Denali for $500 under invoice and with a certificate that GM sent me for $1000 off, $1500 UNDER INVOICE IS HARD TO BEAT.
    I still say they are messing up the correct function of the Stabilitrak by lowering the vehicle. Maybe they have found a way to keep the dash light out. With a certain degree of lowering, and the right wheels, they do look good, but the truck is having much of it's utility compromised, not to mention technology such as Stabilitrak that you are paying a premium for with the Escalade vs. any other SUV.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    ....but I'm here to announce the new Cadillac Escalade Owners club now available on Edmunds.com Owner's Club board. Please stop by and introduce yourself in Meet the Members and let me know how I can help build your club.

I have linked this discussion into that folder, but it will always reside here in SUVs.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Since stability control systems don't take into account the ride height of the vehicle, lowering or raising it will not affect its function. Many MB M-class owners have lowered their vehicles or raised them with no ill effects...the M-class has come with electronic stability control as standard equipment since 1998.

You may find this article interesting:

http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/safety/articles/45992/article.html

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Are you sure of that? I'll bet that Cadillac and/or MB will not stand behind a car that has modified from stock in regards to the electronic stability control systems... Just my guess though.

-mike
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    None of the stability control system components (steering angle sensor, lateral and yaw sensors, wheel speed sensors, and of course the control box) can detect the height of the vehicle. The ML55 has a lower stance than all of the other MLs, but its ESP is unchanged. Since the body of the vehicle is lowered, the limits are actually higher since the centre of gravity is decreased; read the stability control will probably activate a little later.

HOWEVER, lowering an Escalade may be different/difficult because it rides on an air suspension, IIRC. IF the stability control system does play around with the suspension settings, then it may affect the warranty.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    Well, from what one of the service managers told me, the Escalade's suspension/ride computer systems are constantly sensing the vehicle dymanics to sense of something is "wrong", and by lowering the vehicle it causes the computer to detect that something is "wrong", and therefore the warning light on the dashboard goes on and stays on.

Perhaps the warning light is the extent of the "problems", since the vehicle is not performing/riding as designed and as the computer is checking to ensure it is performing.

Beyond that, lowered vehicles can look good when lowered to a certain extent.
    Hello,

I remember a while back somebody on the site mentioned getting a "screw on" chrome grille attatched to their Escalade... has anybody else seen these? Anybody know who makes them? Thanks--- John
    I have seen them and they do look good. An aftermarket add-on available through your dealer, although I am sure they will ask top dollar for it.
    Thanks Rob,

I'll check around with dealers about the chrome grille. Also, anybody reading this know if any carbon fiber kits are available yet for the 2002 Escalade? I'm sure everybody here knows that the Escalade is a mix of real wood and wood simulated plastic.. I'd like to get carbon fiber trim to replace the plastic wood parts... although, kits are now available to replace the plastic bits with real wood too if you want to keep the wood look

http://www.wooddashfactory.com/pages/orders/orders2.cfm?make=4

It seems that the aftermarket tuner shops that do work on Escalades have carbon fiber kits.

Check out Special Vehicle Concepts at:

http://www.specialvehicles.com/escalade/

Although I don't know if they will sell it to you separately (I think it's part of a complete package), and if they will it will most assuredly be expensive.

Thnx Rob, I'm hoping one of those wood dash kit places will spec out a carbon fiber kit soon. ---- John

P.S. the recent Motor Trend has a 1 page thing on the SVC Escalade
    Has anybody tried adding a subwoofer? The upper range of the Bose is OK to me and not worth messing with but I'm finding the Bass to be all mid Bass. I was thinking about 1 of those Kicker Solobaric 12" in a custom box with an amp with an adjustable crossover and killing the OEM Bose Sub in the Escalade. My question is, does anybody know what the Crossover point is for the Bose Factory Subwoofer? I'm afraid that Bose might have a real high crossover point that most "true" subwoofers don't extend out to.. Thanks------ John
    Placed a call to the Bose Automotive Division- Got the number from the main Bose HQ. I left a message and to my surprise, 3 days later they called. The Subwoofer in the 2002 Escalade is set at a Lo Pass of 150 Hz (which obviously is on the high side). Interestingly, they also told me the Door speakers "approximately" get 150 Hz high Pass. Hope this helps anybody contemplating replacing the sub. The upshot of this is you need to find a Sub that is comfortable playing rather "high" bass. Most Car stereo shops don't have a clue and would probably set you up with something that is meant for 100 Hz and under. John
  • joe_jensenjoe_jensen Member Posts: 27
    We recently had a complete brake failure with a 2001 Yukon XL, very scarey. Please take a look at the thread in the SUV forum and respond if you've had a similar failure.

joe_jensen "Brake Failures on GM Fullsize SUVs?" Aug 28, 2001 8:13am
  • mars24mars24 Member Posts: 3
    hey guys i am waiting for my 02 escalade bk full loaded buying for 51,000 nj dealer any thing better out there $$$$ and what else should i look out for with the suv and problem
  • sbizangsbizang Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I are greatly impressed with the 2WD '02 Escalade. For those that have bought an '02, what has been the price you have paid? We checked with one dealer here in the San Antonio, TX area and they are wanting sticker; we refuse to pay sticker, considering the TMV from Edmunds is around $45000.
    sbizang,

Clarification: Around $45,000 for 2wd; AWD is around $48,500
    I have seen a lot of Escalades and they all look good.

I have a very good question? What is the point of lowering the Escalade or any SUV for that matter 2-4 inches or whatever to the payment. Is the concept of having an SUV is to see everything ahead of the road and be more alert more so than anyone in a car? What about for safety purposes also if you get into an accident like getting hit for an example? What gives?

I don't like the aftermarket blackout grill with the surround chrome on the Escalade. I prefer the standard Escalade grill. The aftermarket rims setup is O.K. on the SUV.

You guys won't believe it but I saw an Escalade with a Rolls Royces like grill some weeks ago. It looks good I thought but looks kind of chintzy in a way.

Looks like Cadillac is trying to find some way to retain their aftermarket suppliers at the dealerships. As much as I like the Escalade, the Escalade should be left as it is, original.

J "CaddyLac"