Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Cadillac CTS and CTS-V

rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
edited July 2014 in Cadillac
This Caddy might finally be the M badge killer ?

Comments

• rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    We've got the upcoming Cadillac CTS as a 2007 model year vehicle, so I'm changing the discussion title. Thanks for bringing this redesign to my attention!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• gmsneadgmsnead Member Posts: 2
    Has any one out there replaced the standard tires with regulan non self refilling tires? I would like to put tires on that last longer than the tires the car comes with and are less expensive to rplace when replacement is needed. Also, I intend to carry a full size spare. I would welcome any input.
    Hi gmsnead,
    This discussion is about a future CTS/CTS-V. Those who own the current model can be found in our Cadillac CTS discussion, so you might have better luck there.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    You'll want to check this out. Possibly, (and hopefully) the next CTS will look like it.

Cadillac CTS
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    I think the smoothing is a good idea, but frankly, it's lost some distinction, if that view is accurate. It looks rather generic other that the soon-to-be-copied headlight array and the grille. But for those telltales, it could be from anyone.

Needs some panache, and not just in surface styling cues, IMO.

I hope the interior does a 360 from the current. It's the weakest link, as it is in most GM offerings.
  • oobee33oobee33 Member Posts: 1
    Don't like it. The grill reminds me of a Catera and the shape looks like a Maxima/Altima.

I say if Cadillac wants to continue attracting the younger market then they have to make better changes to the front (I like to call it the car's face). What's the first thing you look at on the car? The grill. Start there and work your way back.
  • hwellhwell Member Posts: 1
    does anyone know how to bypass driver default on 2006 cts-v. it has changed from 2005 model.
  • ctshadafloodctshadaflood Member Posts: 21
    The 2004 car that i loved just got 2 feet of water in the whole interior because a plug came out in the trunk. Poor GM mech's. They fixed my leak and replaced the whole interior. Now i get a new rattle and panels falling off every week. It sounds like a yellow school bus. 25 years of caddy ownership...Do i go to a Foreign car?
    This discussion is about a future CTS. Since yours is a more current model, you'll have better luck in our regular Cadillac CTS discussion.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    should include a telescoping steering wheel that ALL of the competitors have. I have heard more than one person say that they couldn't get comfortable behind the wheel of the current CTS because they could not adjust the distance to the steering wheel after they got the seat adjusted properly. Hard to believe Cadillac thought this was a smart place to save money. Wonder how many people didn't buy the car for this reason.
  • ctshadafloodctshadaflood Member Posts: 21
    THE NEW 2007 CTS does have a nice look to it. Does anyone know if the panels are dent proof as is the STS?
    And is it a 2007 or 2008 released in the spring of 2007?
  • epertschukepertschuk Member Posts: 3
    I spoke with a representative from the NY Auto Show and he told me 'he has not heard from Cadillac as of yet, too which car's they will be showing' He said to call back in mid-March.
  • pocono35pocono35 Member Posts: 89
    Are they offering an AWD version. I will not buy anything, due to where I live, without it.
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    the CTS will have a 4WD option on the next go around. What would be interesting is if they make the cts-V have the 500hp Z06 engine with 4wd!
  • hurchurc Member Posts: 2
    I have problems with the radio. will not remember presets. Caddy said they replaced the whole nav system but it is still messed up. now I cant get it into competitive drive mode.
    The disc for the nav sys is so old it take me over a river insted of a 7 year old bridge. Dont you think GM should update these discs for less then 300.00? :confuse:
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    This about the future CTS, so dont post problems about your current CTS......
  • allargonallargon Member Posts: 75
    Does anyone know if the new CTS will have ventilated seats like the current Lexus' or its cousin the Lucerne?
  • froggersjcfroggersjc Member Posts: 51
    Maybe there is some hope as I am a late 20's something professional and I like the look of the artist's rendering. The car looks "heavier" and higher quality to me, more like a BMW or Audi. I agree though, they need to desperately get the interior right. With the reliability of the Germans being so bad this could draw some attention.
  • jpennjpenn Member Posts: 68
    According to the Sales Mgr at a local Caddy dealership the 2008 CTS AWD option is still up in the air. The problem is twofold, 1) the CTS is a rear wheel drive car with the engine facing forward (front to rear), they are having difficulty creating an AWD drivetrain which will fit the CTS 2) the STS AWD is priced at around 43-45K, if they fit the CTS with an AWD option the price break between the two will be minimal (similar to the Acura RL/TL dilemma). His guess is that Caddy will work it out to fit the CTS with AWD because of people like me who don't want an STS and who won't buy a CTS without AWD.

Let's hope that he's right.
    I wonder what the new hp/tq numbers will be... The weight is also important. Will they bring it down?
  • phileaglesfanphileaglesfan Member Posts: 2
    I read the new CTS will also be built in China. I'm seriously concerned about quality issues. Cadillacs need to be built in North America. It even makes me more nervous since my 05 CTS V was unreliable and it was brand new and built in Michigan.
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,471
    I suspect that what you read is that CTS's for the Chinese market will be built in China. GM is trying hard to get a piece of that rapidly expanding market.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• oldman26oldman26 Member Posts: 10
    Does anyone know if the 2007 CTS: 1) will have a 6 speed automatic transmission, 2)be at the New York Auto Show 3) when will it be on sale? and is this the new "stunning" CTS that some writers have talked about or is it a face lift with an all new model coming in 2008?
  • epertschukepertschuk Member Posts: 3
    I spoke with the PR person at the NY car show, he stated that Cadillac has not requested a press conference with his office, which means that the car will NOT be debuted at the show. He suggested that I call Cadillac, which I did and spoke to a very nice woman, who told me that the 2007 will go into production appox. May 7th 2006, I asked her if she knew if it was either a continuation of the 2006 style or the re-designed version. She didn't know and asked me to call back in 2-3 weeks.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    are up at:

http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/

Sadly, no mention of a 6 speed automatic . . .

- Ray
    2022 X3 M40i
  • allargonallargon Member Posts: 75
    Sadly, no mention of ventilated seats.

Moreover, the dash still looks the same.

I guess we aren't seeing a telescoping steering wheel, either. :(
  • jerrymcshane1jerrymcshane1 Member Posts: 195
    Looks like it's "get it on" time for this unit.

Click here for larger picture

Photo credit: Chris Doane for Brenda Priddy & Company

Though we'd hardly consider the Cadillac CTS V-Series ordinary, it’s clear this version is well beyond that performance CTS.

We last encountered the CTS Super V in testing at the Nürburgring (“Spied: Super V!, May 31, 2004), but this one—spotted recently by an alert spy shooter—appears much closer to production-ready. We’re told it’s the 2007 CTS Super V, and that it is powered by a 7.0-liter 505-hp LS7 V8 lifted directly from the Corvette Z06.

The Super V also features custom bodywork, huge rear tires, larger exhaust pipes and an engine sound unlike any other CTS.

With the new CTS slated for arrival as a 2008 model, speculation is that Cadillac will offer this exclusive model as a last hurrah for the exiting first-generation CTS.

If that’s not powerful enough, wait for the next-generation CTS Super V, which is rumored to be equipped with the LS9 engine—a supercharged 6.2-liter V8 with 600 hp. But you’ll be waiting at least until the 2010 or 2011 model year for that one.
  • sevenfeet0sevenfeet0 Member Posts: 486
    It's an interesting article, but I have to wonder about the business decision to feature this car for just one model year, no matter how good it is. It doesn't sound like it would survive the "profitable business case" sniff test. The last time Caddy did something like that would be the '93 Allante, with the roof that finally worked and the 1st generation Northstar V8.

It could still be a test mule for the next generation CTS-V, but the article did say that the bodywork was a lot better than previous mules. Well, we'll find out soon enough.
  • jliljajlilja Member Posts: 1
    I have an 05 CTS-V which had 19,450 miles on it. I am a surgeon, and I drive an enormous number of miles each week to operate at multiple Northern California hospitals.

Recently, while rolling to a stop, the control arm FELL OFF the car, causing my front end to dig into the ground and grind to a halt. Needless to say, had I been going freeway speeds, I wouldn't be writing this right now, rather one of you would be writing my epitaph.

Cadillac/GM treated this like a normal warranty repair. Apparently, a bolt that holds the control arm to the frame was not properly put together! They simply put it back together, and told me everything was all right-- and wanted me to drive it away. They claim this was a freak accident, and the car is now completely safe (despite no way of knowing whether the steering column, engine mounts, air bags, etc., are not properly assembled).

You can imagine that I was not interested in getting into a 400 HP car and driving when I can't be sure the thing won't fall apart on the road. I'm selling, at a huge loss. GM would do NOTHING for me. Wouldn't buy back the car, wouldn't give me something else to drive. In fact, the local dealer was more interested in his payment for an oil change rather than the fact that this car almost killed me.

To hell with Cadillac and GM.

DON'T BUY THIS CAR!

JL
    Well did you contact GM or Cadillac Customer service on the incident ? I agree I never heard of this. I would reccommend calling them and complaining and tell them you are going to sell the car because you feel it might be unsafe. GM isn't going to want to lose you as a customer, over a dealership just telling you everything is just fine.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience pal.

Rocky
  • francisbakenfrancisbaken Member Posts: 8
    Go to NHTSA and file a complaint.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
  • tseaburntseaburn Member Posts: 1
    I have heard rumors that the new redesigned CTS will be available in late 2006. Then a dealer told me no, it will not be out until May 2007 as a 2008. Does anyone know when it will be out?
    Thanks,
    Tina
  • temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    The 2007 CTS is already in inventory on dealer lots in Nashville. I did not know they were already in production. I have not seen them so I don't know if there are any changes. That means we had a short production year for the 2006.
  • pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    I don't know when the redesigned (08?) CTS will be out, but for GM and Caddy's sake, it should be ASAP! I think that an 08 cannot be sold earlier than sometime in 07, so let's hope that Caddy puts the "new" CTS on sale as soon as possible after the new year. Also, let's hope that this car has some mechanical upgrades to go with the improved styling. Six speed auto, improvements to the V6's, upgraded interior materials would be very well received. Saving a few bucks here, when the foreign competition has all of this, is pointless in my opinion. Undercutting on price without value is not a path to success.
    PONTIAC , Mich. – GM Powertrain announced today it will deliver a 3.6-liter V-6 gasoline engine with direct injection and variable valve timing (VVT) technologies in the 2008 model year. A vehicle application will be announced later in the year.

Additionally, it was forecast that by the end of 2008, GM will produce as many as 200,000 vehicles globally with direct injection technology, and by 2010, GM projects one out of every six GM vehicles in North America will be equipped with a direct injection engine.

The application of direct injection technology to the 3.6-liter VVT engine – a member of GM Powertrain’s family of high-feature V-6 powerplants used on cars and trucks around the world – contributes greatly to a 15-percent increase in horsepower over the current levels that range from 240 to 267; an 8-percent increase in torque, and up to a 3-percent improvement in brake-specific fuel consumption (BSFC). An approximate 25-percent reduction in cold-start hydrocarbon emissions is also achieved.

With direct injection, precisely metered fuel is delivered directly to the combustion chamber, which has a cooling effect in the chamber. Cooling the incoming air charge enables a higher compression ratio, which also improves engine efficiency. Less fuel is required to produce the equivalent horsepower of a conventional port injection combustion system.

“The 3.6-liter VVT with direct injection will be our highest specific output non-turbocharged V-6 engine, as well as one of the most fuel-efficient offerings in our high-feature family,” said Tim Cyrus, chief engineer for high feature V-6 and Northstar V-8 engines. “It’s the latest example of our strategy to continue to reduce emissions and improve fuel economy without sacrificing performance.”

This is GM’s third engine with gasoline direct injection. The announcement of the 3.6L VVT V-6 with direct injection comes on the heels of the introduction of GM Powertrain’s Ecotec 2.0-liter four-cylinder Turbo engine with direct injection on the 2007 Saturn Sky Red Line and Pontiac Solstice GXP roadsters. Also, since 2004, a naturally aspirated Ecotec 2.2-liter direct injection engine is equipped on Opel models in Europe.

How direct injection works

Direct injection differs from the fuel delivery process of a conventional engine by delivering fuel directly into the engine cylinder, where it is mixed with air. The combustion process of conventional fuel injected engines uses air and fuel that partially evaporates in the intake port or intake manifold prior to being introduced into the combustion chamber. Direct injection is a continuation of the evolutionary process of moving the fuel introduction point closer to the cylinder to improve control.

With the 3.6-liter VVT with direct injection, fuel is introduced directly to the cylinder during the intake stroke. As the piston approaches top-dead center, the mixture is ignited by the spark plug.

The fuel injectors are located beneath the intake ports. The intake ports only transfer air, unlike port fuel injection, which flows air and fuel, thus increasing efficiency. D irect injection also permits a slightly higher compression ratio than if the fuel were delivered with conventional fuel injection. The result is better fuel consumption at part and full throttle. The engine uses conventional spark plugs similar to other high-feature V6 engines.

A high-pressure, returnless fuel system is employed. It features a high-strength stainless steel fuel line that feeds a variable-pressure fuel rail. Direct injection requires higher fuel pressure than conventional fuel injected engines and an engine-driven high-pressure fuel pump is used to supply up to 1,740 psi (120 bar) of pressure. The system regulates lower fuel pressure at idle – approximately 508 psi (35 bar) and higher pressure at wide-open throttle. The exhaust cam-driven high-pressure pump works in conjunction with a conventional fuel tank-mounted supply pump.

Direct injection’s fuel delivery enables very efficient combustion to help reduce emissions, particularly on cold starts – the time when most tailpipe emissions are typically created. Also, direct injection permits a higher compression ratio – greater than 11.0:1 in the case of the 3.6 – which has a positive influence on fuel economy.

3.6-liter VVT DI

The 3.6-liter VVT DI is based on GM Powertrain’s sophisticated 60-degree dual overhead cam (DOHC) V-6 engine. It is the latest member of a growing family of GM Powertrain V-6 engines developed for applications around the world, drawing on the best practices and creative expertise of GM technical centers in Australia, Germany, North America and Sweden.

Features found on the 3.6-liter VVT DI include:

-Aluminum engine block and cylinder heads
    -Dual overhead cams with four valves per cylinder and silent chain primary drive
    -High-pressure, engine-driven fuel pump
    -Advanced multi-outlet fuel injectors developed to withstand high pressure and heat
    -Stainless steel, variable pressure fuel rail
    -Four-cam phasing (VVT – see description below)
    -11.3:1 compression ratio
    -Aluminum pistons with floating wrist pins and oil squirters
    -Polymer coated piston skirts
    -Forged steel crankshaft
    -Sinter-forged connecting rods
    -Structural cast-aluminum oil pan with steel baffles
    -Electronic throttle control with integrated cruise control
    -Coil-on-plug ignition
    -Advanced direct injection capable engine control module (ECM)
    -Optimized exhaust manifolds with close-coupled catalytic converters
    -Fully isolated composite camshaft covers
    -Outstanding noise, vibration and harshness control
    -Maximum durability with minimum maintenance
    -Common manufacturing practices for efficiency and exceptional quality
    -Four-cam phasing

The 3.6-liter V-6 VVT DI employs four-cam phasing to change the timing of valve operation as operating conditions such as rpm and engine load vary. The result is linear delivery of torque, with near-peak levels over a broad rpm range, and high specific output (maximum horsepower per liter of displacement) without sacrificing overall engine response and driveability. When combined, direct injection and cam phasing technologies enable an unmatched combination of power, efficiency and low-emissions in gasoline V-6 engines.

Cam phasing pays big dividends in reducing exhaust emissions by optimizing exhaust valve overlap and eliminating the need for a separate exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system.

By closing the exhaust valves late at appropriate times, the cam phasers allow the engine to draw the desired amount of exhaust gas back into the combustion chamber, reducing unburned hydrocarbon emissions. The return of exhaust gases also decreases peak temperatures, which contributes to the reduction of oxides of nitrogen (NO x) emissions. In tandem with the dramatic 25-percent reduction in cold-start hydrocarbon emissions brought on by direct injection, th
  • drr98drr98 Member Posts: 80
    2007 CTS-V Info Please
    Anyone know if the 2007 CTS-V is improved in the few weak points? 1)Did the E-brake get moved to the console? 2)Did the soft suspension get stiffened? 3)Are the tires the same width front and rear?

Thanks in advance.
    Anyone?

2007 CTS-V Info Please
    Anyone know if the 2007 CTS-V is improved in the few weak points? 1)Did the E-brake get moved to the console? 2)Did the soft suspension get stiffened? 3)Are the tires the same width front and rear?

Thanks in advance.
    I doubt it. The 2008 "CTS" will get the improvements, and it won't be until 2009' when we see the next CTS-V :sick:

Rocky
    a special edition CTS-V for the last model year of the current platform?
    I haven't heard that one, pal :confuse:

Rocky
    Has anyone driven the new CTS Sport (or any CTS for that matter) with the 3.6 liter and the 6-speed manual? I would be interested in your feedback. This seems like a pretty sweet combination to me. Thanks.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• fonzifonzi Member Posts: 1
    yea a cts-v with 6 speed i have one! :)

grate car fast as hell!

smoke any BMW M3!
    Thanks, fonzi. I lick my lips over the CTS-V (I have a C5 vette), but am looking to dial it back a notch for a sedan. I was wondering about the CTS Sport with the 3.6 liter V-6 and the 6-speed. Anyone out there have experience with one of those?

Hey bhill2, My wife and I have a C5 as well. (Vert) My feeling about the CTS/CTS-V are that the few short comings need to be addressed before we buy. Like I mentioned in my post above - the foot operated E-brake, soft suspension, and lack of wider tires in the back are a few things I want to see changed. It seems these would be easy items for GM to correct. It would be nice to buy an American sedan. What is the price difference on the CTS Sport?
    Wait for the 2008' to be impressed. ;)

Rocky
  • hushhhushh Member Posts: 2
    Not sure if you're aware, but there is a sport suspension (FG2) available as an option. Also, the stock wheels can accomodate up to 275/40/18 tires in the rear. As far as the e-brake goes, I don't understand why they went with a foot operated one either, but that won't be changed until the next gen (if then).
    Rocky,

Did GM promise that they will still offer a 6-speed stick with the 2008? I am willing to wait, but if I do and am then faced with only slushboxes, I am going to be severely steamed.

I don't think they promised anything publicly, but I'd bet they would offer a stick, and I'm telling you to wait like me. Why ? Well #1 you are going to get a CTS, that is light years ahead of the current model in quality, refinement, fit and finish.

Rocky

P.S. If I buy a CTS
    (very likely if I don't get a Denali Pick-up) I'm going to get a stick. I probably will get the CTS-V, which comes with a stick anyway.
    Rocky,

Thanks for your response. Yeah, if I decide on a CTS I'm going to wait for the new one. And I will be torn between the CTS Sport and the CTS-V. I want to be socially conscious, but damn that Corvette engine is nice.

Bob

This discussion has been closed.