Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac Escalade

Comments

• paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    If it is a fact. I'm not a caddy basher though.

-mike
    March 17 Pine Barrens Monthly Trail Ride

Info on a gently off-road experience in the Pine Barrens of Central/Southern NJ. Come on out for a day of adventure, fun, and comradre with fellow SUV/Off-road/Rally/Car Nuts! Info at http://isuzu-suvs.com/events

-mike

• tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    I am having difficulty seeing exactly how Subaru and Isuzu Events have anything to do with Cadillac Escalade.

Please help me with this one.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
    It's open to All-4wd/AWD Vehicles. I shall fix the page to reflect that this eventing. I mean the Escalade is an Off-road vehicle right? Or is it just a luxury car? ;)

-mike
    Thanks, Mike!

I don't intend to tell you how to run your own personal site but it sure would help here if the connection with those (interesting sounding!) events were more transparently relevant to all the other vehicle forums where you post your invitations!
    tidester
    Host
    SUVs
    It started as a bunch of Subies and Isuzus going out and now it's evolved into more of a general "light off-roading" for people in the area. One of these days I'm gonna get Edmunds PR people to send us some shirts or some hats to give out at the events :)

-mike
    Mike,

One of these days I'm gonna get Edmunds PR people to send us some shirts or some hats to give out at the events :)
    I passed that on to Edmund's management!
    tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • bolkerbolker Posts: 30
    As a person who has competed in several off-road events with my 4WD vehicles, I must tell you that to a much larger extent, it has more to do with the driver than the vehicle. These are friendly, not-overly-harsh challenges where it's all fairly slow and safe. That being said, a heavier vehicle will generally do WORSE than a lighter vehicle. However, if you know your vehicles strengths and weaknesses, you can easily overpower others with arguably "better" off road vehicles.

I've always used what I had at the time. That being a Ford Bronco and a Chevy Tahoe. The Bronco had better clearance which helped a LOT, but the Tahoe was more stable. Tires made a HUGE difference btw. Now that all being said, I have only won one of the 4WD competitions I entered, and it was with my Tahoe LT! I must admit I "in your faced" (in a really good natured way) a couple Range Rover, Toyota, and Subaru guys there. But when they win, I get the, "get a real SuV!" from them too. ;)

Clearly, the lighter vehicles have an advantage, but they don't necessarily own the track. ;)

I'm now looking at an Escalade. And I DO INDEED PROMISE to take it offroad into one of these contests. I will take pictures and post em all here. Wish me luck!

Ron
    If you are in the NY/NJ/PA area come to one of our light-hearted trips, no competition here just fun.

-mike
    I'm in Chicago, or I'd love to come out. I've met some of the best people at these get-togethers. They are fun!

Ron
    Cool beans, keep us posted. I don't own an escalade, but I've yet to see one "down and dirty" so some pics of you using yours as an SUV was design to be used would rock! :)

-mike
  • I woudl like to put a fold down screen in my new 2002 Cadillac Escalade. I want some suggestions on who is the best company and what is the best place to get the screen. Any help is gladly appreciated.
    thank you,
    JJ Coutts
  • garmusgarmus Posts: 4
    The thing is big enough for a large screen TV. Are we talking window screens? OK everyone, tell me why we should replace our 1998 Lexus 470LX with an Escalade.
    I like the 470LX although I rather have the FXJ80 than the 470LX version of the TLC.

-mike
  • plowmanplowman Posts: 1
    Looking at a used Escalade 2002 AWD 5,500 miles from dealer Cadillac Certified w/6 years/100,000 miles warrenty for $45,900 any problems, love the style and power. Any common problems found with Esc?
    I also have been looking at 2002s with around the same mileage for about the same price. I've held out because I think that in the next couple months, the 2003s will be out and the price of 2002s still with similar mileage will be much lower priced. I'm HOPING that the price will be closer to 40k. I think that the new model is very desirable and being that there are only 2002s out there, the price is staying up. Bring out a NEW version and the price will drop.....I'm hoping.

Ron
  • rdl40rdl40 Posts: 60
    My father has been out of the country for a month and he's let me drive his escalade while gone.
    Some observations so far:
    1.windshield is to small, hard to see with visor
    down
    2. front seats don't go back very far, if you have long legs might be tough.
    3. seats are hard.
    4. too much boost in power steering, no feel of the road.
    5.love the engine and power, but shouldn't it
    be DOHC?
    6. Alot of money for this truck, my Expedition feels just as good for about $20k less.

ron
    Were you driving the older style 2000 escalade or the redesigned 2002 style? The most notable difference is the more-angled front grill and the more curved rear door windows. The new design is very different than the old one and handles considerably differently. The new one has all-time all-wheel drive only, the old one allowed for 2 wheel and 4 wheel drive.

However, if it is the new one, you felt that the handling of both vehicles are very similar? As in around turns and that?

Ron
  • rdl40rdl40 Posts: 60
    I apologize for the mix up, it is the new '02
    version.
    Their is definetly a big power gap between the caddy and the expedition, but if it's just around
    town driving you'll be satisfied with the ford.

and yes, I feel more connected to the road with the Expi., handling feels good(however mine is 4x2)
    ron
    Nice. I'm going to have to test drive one. I just recently did a fairly long test drive of the Escalade but could only compare it to my 97 Tahoe which of course it beats hands down. Thx.

Ron
  • becker8becker8 Posts: 3
    My 3yr 1999 Escalade lease just ended. I worked hard to find a suitable SUV for my real estate military relocation business. My customers and I log 18K miles a year, 3-4 days straight, on the twisty, fast and traffic congested roads around the nation's capitol. Had the Tahoe before...wouldn't hold the curves safely and too harsh a ride. Tested the Navigator...truck like suspension. Tested Toyota, Lexus, BMW, Mercedes and MDX. Too small, too expensive, and suspensions too like sports car. Escalade offers the most 12V outlets for phones and laptops; the biggest writing surfaces to complete contracts, the best cargo space for 199". So, today we executed another 3yr/18K mi lease on 2002 Escalade AWD. Sadly leases have increased about $200mo since 1999, and that's true across the board. My '99 Escalade had no major flaws, needed no repairs and the lease includes smart care for which I pay nothing at the visit. The only dealership close to my Cadillac dealership of 15 years is Lexus, and their comparable was $1,183mo, $360 more! Critics of the Escalade package will indeed be happier in lesser products to save themselves the embarrassment of oohs and aahs, which my customers ALWAYS make about the black Escalade with the gold emblems.
  • haplologyhaplology Posts: 28
    Does anyone know if there are any changes at all scheduled for the 2003 Escalade?

Thanks.
  • becker8becker8 Posts: 3
    My wife is a successful, $100,000+yr, realtor. So, she spends HOURS/DAYS driving 2-5 clients around to preview homes in northern VA. They are saavy military officers, frequently pilots, and know their machinery. EVERYONE is impressed with the interior quality, power, and ride of the Escalade. We turned in the '99 for the '02 AWD this wknd. $200mo more on lease! Did not go to Sequoia because it lacks the interior luxury of seats (bottoms too flat), and because it does not have the cache with customers (no one every heard of it!). Escalade has shortcomings because of truck ancestry, added 3rd row seats are on Rube Goldberg wire frames/wheels, must be pulled out to make room. 2nd and 3rd row seats don't disappear into floor as they should and do in new chassis designs. No one who uses vehcile in and around town needs 345hp block with poor mileage. All the seat leg room has been reduced a couple inches to accommodate 3rd row--poor compromise. Body has become bulging with fewer clean lines as were more apparent on '99 model. Still, Molly thinks the "cadillac statement, gold pkg on black paint" works better with her customers who get 10-12 hours in it per day until they find the home the like. Hope this helps. Navy Captain Becker.
  • mbclk430mbclk430 Posts: 58
    '03 escalade will have redesigned interior and a full size version (ESV) will be added. You can find this info on www.autoweek.com with a search for "ESV"
    I was just commenting on another thread that for the new design, I think the red actually looks best. Personal taste of course. ;)

When will the new '03s come out? I'm dying to see if the new interiors are worth waiting for. If not, I'd be happier with a slightly used (read that as less than 10k miles) '02 for $40k and save the 10k I'd spend on a new one in accessories.

The wife just gave me the green light on the purchase, so I'm in full-bore-must-know-all-details investigation mode. ;)

Ron
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,638
    #4 Cadillac Escalade

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

Oh oh. Oh well, I spose we should have expected this. This is the hot SUV out right now, and with that kind of performance, people are going to drive them hard. Of course, most people have no idea what they're doing behind the wheel of that much power, same as the vettes. Add to that people wanting a "discount" on the parts they break on these expenseive beasts, and people wanting to sell these "used" vehicles out of the country, and it adds up to high claims from accidents and thefts. I spose you'd better have a garage if you want to get one......

Ron
    ....and it was just listed as the 4th most expensive vehicle to insure (not including exotics). Damn, that stinks.

Ron
    I've now heard it rumored that the '03 redesign includes some cluster and dash changes, similar to the dash already in the Corvette. There is going to apparently be an LCD type display with displayed information controlled by steering wheel controls that supply a huge amount of information far and above mileage and distance information. I don't know more about it, and I'm still checking around about it, but if anyone has any more specifics about the actual modifications, I'd love to hear them or see a link to them.

Ron