Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda6 vs Hyundai Sonata

2»

Comments

• wolverinejoe80wolverinejoe80 Member Posts: 337
    GM or ford is doing bad because they aren't making profits.
    hyundai is making profits and selling very well.

so is samsung, one of the most profitable company in the world.

i don't what koreans are doing, but i guess it's working.
  • larry1135larry1135 Member Posts: 43
    chrisford are you on crack?
    Good question, I have a 1999 GLS Sonata with 95,000 miles on it. I have only had two repairs done out side of normal maintenance.

I had a rear wheel bearing go bad cost was about $250 to $300 do repair. I also had a speed sensor replaced and that was about the same price. Both repairs were done when I had more than 70,000 miles on the car. Oh I forgot to mention that I drive my car pretty damn hard. Wish I didn't but I do.

So, $600 for repairs on a 95,000 mile car I would say is pretty good. I have a co-worker who has a new Ford 500 and has had her radio replaced twice and is always wondering where some funny noise is coming from.

This is my real life experience between the manufacturers Hyundai and Ford. Ford also owns Mazda. Of course quality can vary from plant to plant in which the car is made in.

For the record all 3 have cars that I like, and I do own shares of Ford. My point being is that I am not a cheer leader for Hyundai. This post replies to a few different posts.
  • jackemupjackemup Member Posts: 1
    Mazda is made in the US by united auto workers the only thing japanese is the transmission.

I love my Mazda 6cyl and its loaded including 7 speaker 6-cd changer bose system, 17 inch low profile Michelin tires,
    and auto climate control.

It was rated for handling by automobile magazine right behind BMW. Once I drove it I was sold!
  • lxcanlxcan Member Posts: 14
    I've driven both cars, and the MazdaSpeed 6 just wasn't for me. The car is noisy all throughout the rev band. Yes it's fast, but that sports suspension punishes you right off the line. The fit and finish are good, and interior room is decent, but with a price a whopping $10,000 CDN out the door more than my Sonata, Mazda can keep it.

Of course we're all different and that's why auto makers offer different products, and someone else will be happier with the Mazda 6 than they would be with a 2006 Sonata. In my opinion, the 2006 Sonata offers a safe, reliable (yes I said it), comfortable, quiet ride; an attractive exterior package, a strong engine + tranny combo; roomy interior and a grocery list of standard safety equipment not found on a lot of its competitors. Kudos to Hyundai. Keep up the good work.

Best regards, A proud and happy 2006 Sonata Owner. Just my $0.02. Happy shopping :shades:
  • zzzoom6zzzoom6 Member Posts: 425
    i should start by saying that i really like driving. now i'm not the crazy guy weaving in and out of traffic and driving on the shoulder of the road. but cruising along in comfort while having a bit of safe fun while driving is what I'm about. my previous cars were a honda accord hatchback and a subaru wagon so i must have gotten really spoiled with the opportunity to be able to throw a mountain bike or gardening stuff in the back of my car so i wanted a car that had tons of useable storage space. but i wasn't too fond of the "soccer mom" jokes my friends used to throw at me when i was driving the legacy, so when i saw the mazda 6 5-door hatchback, i loved it!

And after driving it for the last few months, everytime i have to drive somewhere i'm thrilled. it handles awesome! and the brakes are amazing too; just the other day some dingbat pulls out of her driveway from nowhere and i thought for sure i was going to hit her, but the 6 stopped with room to spare. plus there seems to be plenty of room in back for company: my friend who's more than 6 feet tall was perfectly comfortable back there. so a v-6 w/ moonroof with tons of room to haul stuff when i need it for under 20k? you bet! lovin it!
    This is the cheapest one that Mazda offers. So, where do you get the under $20,000 zzzoom6? Read what was copied from the website below and note that the Tranny is manual, and no options (no moonroof) were added.

MAZDA6 s 5-Door, Sport Model

Destination Fee

220-hp 3.0L DOHC 24-valve V6-cylinder

Front-Wheel Drive

5-Spd Manual $24,510

$560

Standard

Standard

Standard
    No packages or options selected.
    Total MSRP:$25,070*M6H SSP P
    the rebates and close out sales were really agressive over the last couple months. at the time i was shopping around thanksgiving there were offers for up to 7k off of msrp. actually, i saw an ad a couple weeks ago for 8k off of msrp for remaining 05's at the dealership where i got my car :cry: . so i could have gotten fully loaded for under 20k on a mazda 6 (v-6, moon, leather, 6-speed auto, etc)!!! oh well, i still love my car no matter what i paid for it. and i geuss it helps living in the northwest...supposedly portland has one of the highest ratio of dealerships to population in the country. many places to price shop!
  • satswacsatswac Member Posts: 4
    Sorry dude, but what YOU"RE smoking.........well, give it up! Ford is still more reliable?? First of all, what do you mean still? Since when??? I sold Fords in the very late 90's (hate to admit it, for three years). Quality and reliability were never an honest selling point. Walk onto any Hyundai dealership and for the most part you'll find out that they have a hard time meeting the demands. Walk onto any Ford (or GM) dealership and they can't hardly give them away. So much for $5,000 rebates. That's gotta tell a thinking person something.
    During my car selling days (Ford and then Honda) I drove Hyundais and currently an '04 Elantra. I had to park in the back of the rear lot because I drove a Hyundai and that was my choice and all of them good ones. Point is, while at the Ford dealership there was a waiting period of up to 6 days to get your Ford warranty attended to and if you were lucky, it got fixed the first time in. 10 bays, all full, 6 days 12 hours/day. Hello!
    If Ford is so good, why are they closing down so many factories?
    Trucks....they do make a good full size pick-up. Different engineering division.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Let's back up and take a breath, okay? You may not have noticed, but that post is six months old. And regardless of who the parent company of the Mazda is, this is a comparo between the 6 and the Sonata, not a discussion about Ford reliability, or lack thereof. I'm sure there are discussions over in Automotive News about Ford the manufacturer - Browse by Board on the left side of the page will get you there easily.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    I sold Fords in the very late 90's (hate to admit it, for three years). Quality and reliability were never an honest selling point

Based on your statement, I would say you have a credibility issue...
  • cajuncyclercajuncycler Member Posts: 172
    I just have to chime in here. My son and his wife own a Mazda 6. Nice car, I've driven it. I love the red lit instrument cluster. However compared to my Sonata it does ride crudely rough. The seats are hard and I don't care for the material the seat surfaces are done in. My son has sat in my car but he hasn't yet driven it. I thought I saw a hint of jealousy in his eye though when I showed it to him. My daughter has a 2004 Dodge Stratus and she has driven the Sonata and really likes it over her car. Her only comment was that the light colored seats would show grunge quicker with her kids than the black interior she has in the Stratus. The Mazda 6 my son has had some mechanical issues though I cannot remember the specifics. The dealer he bought from has been a pain to deal with and he wishes he had bought somewhere else but I think overall he is happy with the car. It too has a 4 cyl. engine in it but it is a peppy 4. One thing I did note, he is a cop and drives a 2004 Chevy Impala police cruiser and I have to say I have ridden in it and the Sonata seems to have every bit the same or more interior space than his Chevy police car does. That impresses me.
  • doanejdoanej Member Posts: 11
    maybe its time to check the new ratings that jd power just put out. maybe it will make some rethink hyundai (ahead of the [non-permissible content removed] makers, verrrrry interesting.....).....
    hyundai level of quality has been impressive of late, but it's worth putting this into perspective...per 100 cars, I think hyundai was found by JD Power to have around 200 problems, while Mazda was reported to have around 240. so having .4 more problems per car for a car that is quite a bit more fun to drive is worth it to me!
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    Fun to drive for me as well!!

Anyway, I am pretty sure the other poster was referring to the IQS from JD Power (measuring initial quality), of which Hyundai finished 3rd amongest all nameplates.

I believe you were referring to the VDS from JD Power, which measures three years old vehicles (so from 2003). And actually Mazda finished just ahead of Hyundai but both below industry average.

Should the historical trends hold up, Hyundai should do very well in the 2009 VDS (measuring 2006 vehicles).
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    "However compared to my Sonata it does ride crudely rough."

Love the ignorance. The Mazda6 is tuned to drive "firmer" than a grandma's comfort couch.

The (new) sonata is a good car, but the two cannot be compared when it comes to ride quality. Different demographics.
  • bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    I drove and liked the Speed6, but it got vetoed. The Secretary of the Treasury said it was too noisy and rough. :(
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Did you also try a regular (non-speed) Mazda6?
    Yes, same verdict.
  • mazdamotoringmazdamotoring Member Posts: 18
    My final two contenders, after looking at Camry and Legacy, were the 2007 Sonata SE V6 automatic (no 5-speed is offered with the V6) and the 2006 Mazda6s V6 5-speed. On paper, it seemed that the Sonata offered the better value (though it was close), and in the back of my mind I thought it was the one I would buy. Then came the test drive. I thought the Sonata was a very fine car, and I loved the space. But the Mazda6 - man, that thing stole my heart. I love the seats, the sound of the V6, and the confidence-inspiring handling. The Sonata was a car I would have been satisfied to own; the Mazda6 is a car I am thrilled to own - and drive. You can't go wrong with these two, you just have to figure out which one feels right to you.
  • cajuncyclercajuncycler Member Posts: 172
    See, it just goes to show you that it is so wonderful there is a broad spectrum of cars to choose from. This way everybody gets what they want! :)
    Coincidentally, the Mazda Speed6 and Sonata were the 2 finalists. Stick shift was out, so we drove the automatic. We really liked the Mazda, but the verdict was clear: The ride was too harsh, and the cabin too noisy. I would be disingenuous if I said the price was not a factor. We still enjoy our Sonata. Not a squeek, rattle, or glitch of any kind... save for a rear suspension noise heard only on extremely rough streets.
  • rickypaulrickypaul Member Posts: 24
    I had been looking for a new car for a while. I looked at the Sonata V6 and even had the opportunity to rent one. My opinion of it was that it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but it was still bad. It had horrible narrow seats, it had an ugly dashboard with fake wood, and it is not in the same league of refinement as the 6.

It rode a little smoother than the 6 but it did not track well. I had to pay attention to it every instant and recheck the steering to keep it from drifting. The Mazda 6 drives like its on rails. The engine was powerful but the torque steer was pronounced. There is torque steer in the 6, but it is under control. The higher center of gravity of the Sonata makes the Hyundai feel like its going on two wheels around curves while it may not really be. I think the high narrow seats add to this affect.

The Mazda is a hoot to drive. It is capable but more importantly it FEELS capable. This car inspires confidence with its cornering ability and fantastic brakes. I seriously looked at the Hyundai, but I feel like they still have some catching up to do.
  • mazdamotoringmazdamotoring Member Posts: 18
    My experience was the same. Overall I thought the Sonata was a good car, but, particularly in the driving experience, it couldn't compare. Like you, I love that the Mazda6 stays firmly planted and goes exactly where you tell it - "like its on rails" is a great way to describe it. At one point when test driving the Sonata I detected some steering wheel shudder, but it may have been the stretch of road. Regardless, the Mazda6 is steady and smooth, even at very high speeds. And though the seats of the Sonata provided more passenger room, they weren't as comfortable as the Mazda.
    had a chance to rent a sonata b/c of a business trip and came away with a good idea of what that car is about. very good engine, good brakes. suspension was pretty good; a bit smoother ride than the 6 (the sonata was louder on big bumps though), but not buick soft either. body lean was pronounced in braking, accelerating, and turning which reduced my confidence in handling. steering was a bit more vague; thought the 6 was far superior in this area. seats weren't very comfortable; right leg would go numb after 15 minutes (if I tried to tilt the seat forward, the slippery leather would have me sliding forward) and very little lateral support when cornering. liked the sliding center console. driving with the moonroof open had much less turbulence than the 6. tranny in full auto mode was good, in manumatic mode downshift lag was too pronounced. highway driving was quieter, city driving a wash.

one of the best rental cars I'd ever rented, but for my wants, I'd take my 6 over it in a heartbeat.
  • whisper1whisper1 Member Posts: 50
    Undecided on loaded Sonata V6 or loaded Mazda6 V6 :(

Sonata: no HID
    Mazda6: no stabiliby control, no factory MP3, less backseat width, more money

Since the redesigned 08 Mazda6 will show up in Sept. Do you think any huge discount on the 07 at that time :confuse:

Anyone know the current CAN discount for the Mazda6 GT V6 less the NAV (this is the top model in Canada) and the top Sonata V6?

Is the 07 Sonata V6 engine use a timing chain or belt?
  • rhduke00rhduke00 Member Posts: 129
    Timing chain
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    My undertanding is the new '08 design is now going to be an '09 and come out in spring of '08.

Regarding the price difference, I think that depends on what kind of incentives the manufacturer is giving and how well they are selling. I got about a $5000 discount from MSRP ($2000 was rebates) on a 6 and know of others who got a similar discount. With that kind of discounting, I'm not so sure that the Sonata has a price advantage.

In any year leftovers will likely have bigger rebates and discounts, but then selection is limited...so the value of waiting for the leftovers depends on how set you are on getting exactly what you want vs. getting a better price.

For me the Mazda6 was preferable to Sonata due to more comfortable seat and telescoping wheel (which is not on the lower trim level Sonatas). In addition, I prefer the sportier handling and looks of the 6.
    http://www.mazda.com/publicity/release/2007/200706/070612.html

Mazda Awarded First Place in Auto Bild Magazine’s “Quality Report” for the Third Year Running

HIROSHIMA, Japan— Auto Bild, Germany’s largest car magazine, has ranked Mazda in first place in its highly respected “Quality Report” for 2007, which was published on June 8. This was the third straight year that Mazda has been awarded first place in this annual report.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    The Mazda6 sold in Germany is made in Japan and the Mazda6 sold in USA is made in Michigan. There may be major differences in quality between assembly plants.
    no the build quality is identical. The assembly line was setup by the engineers from Japan.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    It's unfortunate that the Michigan assembly workers could not understand the Japanese engineers since the quality is NOT identical. The Japan built Mazda6 is built better.
    One easy to see example is panel fit and anyone can check this for themselves by comparing the MazdaSpeed6 to the US built Mazda6.
  • effect18effect18 Member Posts: 41
    Everyone knows that people use and abuse rentals, so you have to take that into consideration when determining the differences between two comparitively used cars. My experience was with two new cars(the dealership I bought my car from is a Mazda/Hyundai dealer). I liked the ride in Mazda, the instrument panel on the Mazda6 is definitely better than the Hyundai's which I feel is in need of a redesign. The green backlights on the CD and temperature control seem very 1998ish. As far as the ride is concerned I felt they both rode similarly. The Mazda felt like you had a little more control over the vehicle, while the Hyundai felt more like you were driving on rails(electronically controlled), especially when accelerating.

My main problem with the Mazda 6 was the seats. The driver's seat is shaped like a U(true definition of bucket seats). So your really sitting IN the seat. The dealer told me its to give you a cockpit feel. I felt this to be cramped, I couldnt move my butt from side to side. Upon sittin in the Sonata, I felt way more comfortable. This in addition to the better warranty, is why I chose the Sonata.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    I do everyday. Not only am I a Mazda dealer, I also own a 2005 Mazda6 and my brother and best friend own Mazdaspeed6's. Both have the same build quality, and are holding up identical over time.
    Thanks for the confirmation.
    I have the 2003 Mazda6, and after 4 years and 66000 miles, there is nary a rattle from any place in the car. I think that speaks volumes about build quality.
This discussion has been closed.