Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Chevrolet Suburban/GMC Yukon XL/Cadillac Escalade ESV

navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
edited March 2014 in Cadillac
GM is redesigning all it's full size pickups and SUVs to stay competitive. If you've seen the pictures of the 2007 Tahoe and Yukon, you know they've done a pretty good job on the outside and inside.

The Suburban/Yukon XL/ESV are coming at a bad time for GM, as gas prices are high, and Ford is bringing back a large competitor based on the Expedition.

All these new GM trucks and SUVs are expected to debut at the 2006 Detroit Auto Show.

Please post pictures if you find any.

Chevrolet Suburban

Cadillac Escalade ESV

Comments

• morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=107939#6

I dunno'. I find the new lines to be a bit less interesting. Perhaps more elegant and smoothed out, but they've lost that 'in your face' opulance and ruggedness that the predecessor had.

I saw gas today (in Tucson) for $2.39. (now that the oil companies took their pint of blood from the american public) Not so expensive any more. People will line up to buy into this piece of metal and find out what rack and pinion steering and 400hp feels like in a big SUV.
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    The headlights are smaller, so that explains why the "in your face" look is gone. It makes it looks like an SRX or CTS.

Anyway, I'm just glad they nailed the interior. It's now right at the the level where the Navigator, LX470 and Range Rover are at.

And 403hp!!! Wow, the old Escalade was never short for power, but 403 is just amazing.

The next Navigator and upcoming Aspen better be good......
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    3rd row seating: Will it fold and hide into the floor? Will it be a one-piece, or 50/50? or better, 60/40?
  • jkev99jkev99 Member Posts: 1
    I read in a magazine in Barnes and Noble that GM was offering a duramax diesel engine in suburbans in 2007. That is all of the information the article had. Has anyone else heard this?
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=108015

Front is very similar if not identical to Tahoe, but that was expected.

They made the Suburban even bigger! Wow, it'll really be a monster now!
  • countryroper78countryroper78 Member Posts: 1
    Here are a few spy pics of the new surburban. If you notice it's a 2500 because of the 8 lug wheel pattern. click here to see the pics
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    the GMC web site has plenty of photos and info, at least of the Yukon length.

http://www.gmc.com/newvehicles/2007yukon/index.jsp

That 5.3LV8 DOD engine seems to be the hot ticket. Good power and a claimed 21mpg on the hwy. Better than most mid-sized SUVs get.
  • gmdownhillgmdownhill Member Posts: 1
    UGLY and then some…. Thought it was a Ford. Looks just like the 05′Expedition. Nice original design lines GM really did their homework on this. Copy cats. I can only imagine the engineering nightmares for this new platform.
    HOW about a Duramax Diesel in the 3/4 ton models?? GM should be concerned about building a truck for a family, that can tow something besides a pop-up tent trailer! Not everybody wants a pickup.
  • xkssxkss Member Posts: 722
    check the link

Escalade
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/AutoshowArticles/articleId=108752#1

I love the interior it's probably the biggest improvement. No doubt large families in Kuwait are going to be buying them in droves! :P
  • tireguytireguy Member Posts: 200
    You're right. From the rear quarter it looks exactly like a late model Expedition, which is anything but impressive.
    I sure hope the pickups won't look like this.
    Coil springs in the front? What's with GM? First they go back to rear drum brakes on their full-size pickups, now coil springs on the SUV. Somebody's been watching too much "I love the 80s" on VH1. Granted these are coil-over, not just coils, but the torsion bars offered height adjustability and ease of damper replacement.
    Power-folding second row? In the outgoing model you can fold the seats down with a bag of groceries in your other hand. And the middle seats are as comfortable as the front buckets. The new power seats look significantly slimmer in the base (see demo on GMC's website). The cockpit does look a bit better. A little Walnut goes a long way. But why the heck would I want a heated steering wheel? To keep the cold leather from chilling my tender hands? So much for the working man's professional grade truck! At least they That 6.2L would be a tremendous improvement over the 5.3, but it's only available in the Denali, so once again--it appears--if you want the big engine you can't have a real four wheel drive system (with a low range and locking transfer case). :(
    Go to the GMC site and stare at the 07 Yukon, the click over to the 06 picture. The 00-06 Yukon is one of the nicest trucks the General ever put on the streets.
    I certainly won't be trading in my 04 Yukon XL on one of these Envoy XXLs any time soon. :shades:
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    Nope, it won't fold into the floor, since GM cheaped out and stuck with a solid-rear axle. If they'd gone with an independent-rear suspension, then there would have been room for the 3rd row seat to fold into the floor.
    Nope, it won't fold into the floor, since GM cheaped out and stuck with a solid-rear axle. If they'd gone with an independent-rear suspension, then there would have been room for the 3rd row seat to fold into the floor.
  • motoworfmotoworf Member Posts: 8
    Oh, gawd...
    It looks like it still won't have the beloved rear cargo doors on my current Suburban.
    It is a show stopper for me not moving on to a newer model as was the reason I didn't bother with Yukon or Escalade when I bought my current Suburban.
  • neo6neo6 Member Posts: 24
    I have to agree with others who say this looks like an XXL Envoy. Seems like GM could have had a little more imagination when redesigning one of the best exterior designs on the SUV market. The interior and features is what was so dated. I would rather they had left the exterior alone and dressed up the interior and added some features. I have a 2003 XL and am really now on the fence of waiting for one of these for a second look or go ahead and buy one of the last "good-looking" 2006 models..
  • kburbankburban Member Posts: 1
    Is there going to be a footwell for the third seat in the 2007. As the 2006 is configured, the third seat passengers must look like "see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil". I'm still driving a '97 with 215K m. I was shopping for an '05 or '06 last week and gave up in disgust. It's too much money for something that doesn't do the basics. I can do without the bells and whistles-just want leather seats, comfortable hwy travel and reliable engine.
  • tireguytireguy Member Posts: 200
    If it had an independant rear end, then it could really compete with the modern-day LTD wagon, the Expedition. Independant rear suspension might be great on Corvettes, but it's not what I want on a truck.
  • arkitectarkitect Member Posts: 75
    Will there be one? GM has one of if not the best diesel engines but i need to have plenty of interior room. The Avalanche would be just what I am looking for but they are not making even a 2500 Avalanche for the beggining of the mew model's life span and a duramax would not fit on a 1500. So will there still be a 2500 Suburban and will it be a diesel if there still is a 2500. I have an 83 GMC diesel suburban and let me tell you if I can get an 07 diesel I would deffinitley buy it when I have the money.
  • maryfshortmaryfshort Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Expy with 56k on it. I have been awaiting the remodeling of the both GM and Ford. As a mom with boys and loads of gear...I have loved my powerfold third row seat. I was hoping that GM would offer the same thing in their new redesign. How sad I am to find out that the third row will be the removable variety.

I guess it will be the Expedition XL for us this summer.

Am I the only one who really appreciates the power fold?
  • rosey7rosey7 Member Posts: 3
    Went to the D.C. auto show last month and saw the 07 Suburban on display. I have to say that my initial reaction was not positive as compared to my 04 Z-71.The bumpers are cheap plastic instead of steel, the exhaust is "chincy" looking. Rear seats do not fold into the floor which would have been a great feature, and to top it off GM is droping the Z-71 Suburban model which I consider to be very sporty and rugged. No wonder GM is in trouble!..they obviously aren't very progressive in their styling anymore. :(
  • neo6neo6 Member Posts: 24
    I have a 2003 Yukon XL and was anxiously awaiting the re-design but after seeing at least the shorter new Yukon, there is not a lot new. Styling is boring at best and interior still looks cheap. I did just see the new Expedition XL pictures and it looks really good with some real functionality like the 3rd seat fold down. If Ford engineers are outplaying the GM guys with simple things like an independent rear suspension and an actual 6 speed transmission, GM IS in trouble. I've had 3 Yukons but I think I am going to give the Ford a try next.
  • shenandoah75shenandoah75 Member Posts: 1
    I would like to begin by quoting the chevy website on the 07':

"suburban has maximum trailering and hauling capabilities that are unsurpassed in the full size segment".

Um, your own vehicles from past model years (er 90s!)exceeded this crap. Great, so Ford bows to pressure dropping the only remaining diesel suv on the market and you turn around and drop your towing capacity by 2000 lbs. In the process, you drop your most competent engine and apparently neglected to spend any of the last 6 years figuring out how to once again put a diesel in the vehicle that allowed you to corner that very market for decades...

The GM bean counters out there need a big crack on the head. You have totally turned your back on the families with serious towing requirements for boats and trailers who have always looked to your engineering to meet such needs. Nice job - i'll sell my toys before i buy this 2007 P.O.S.

Great job listening to soccer moms who want to drive a 5000+ pound beast and still whine because their girlfriends' camry gets such better milage. As edmunds states, your 20MPG still won't do squat to satify the environmentalists who hate suvs anyway.

sellouts...
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    A major national newspaper would like to interview those who bought a 2007 Lincoln Navigator or a Cadillac Escalade and got a sizable discount off the sticker price. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com before Wednesday, March 1, 2006 with your daytime contact info and a few words about the model you chose.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• navyjaynavyjay Member Posts: 5
    Not sure if I am posting this in the right place. Never seen a message board like this. Maybe I'm just exhausted and don't see something. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew how hard it would be to put electronically adjustable pedals in aftermarket on a 200 Suburban. I'm pretty short, but love the Burb and want to know how hard this would be. I can reach the pedals, but feel a little too close to the steering wheel. Any ideas? Thanks!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    Since this discussion is about the 2007+ model, you'll probably have better luck asking here:
    Chevy Suburban

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• reefmowersreefmowers Member Posts: 1
    I just drove my 2007 Escalade off of the lot. 100 miles into the drive the car froze and shut down almost causing a major crash. This truck has major problems. All sensors lit up and on star read the report to me telling me not to drive. it was towed to a dealer. very unsafe to drive until these bugs our worked out. these issues will cause crashes and maybe loss of life or injury.
  • go8go8 Member Posts: 58
    Wow! What did the dealer say?

Go8
  • volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    I was quite stoked after the guys at the dealership said the new 07 was going to be offered with a diesel. Then the promo stuff comes out and ....nothing. As said above, to make it worse, you have to upgrade to a luxury poser truck to get the bigger engine now. Not that I want a gigantic gas engine designed more for HP bragging rights than torque and which gets 2 mpg taking the kids to school. The 2500 HD has run the diesel for years now. How hard can it be to drop the Suburban body on it? I have 4 kids and a dog so we have limited options that will tow a travel trailer. Baby #4 means we will be moving up to a bigger trailer that the 00 Yukon XL will be working too hard to pull. Has GM even heard of diesels? Wasn't that the reason they bought Isuzu? It certainly wasn't to develop their vehicles. VERY disappointed.
  • vmidadvmidad Member Posts: 2
    Having owned both an 01 and an 03 Denali XL, I was looking forward to the 07 model year (I need a new truck!). I wouldn't be caught dead in a 07 Yukon. It is about the ugliest thing that they could have thought of. Whomever is responsible for the bastardized Envoy should be at the unemployment line claiming insanity.
    That said I will be buying a new Suburban LTZ. It has close to the classic lines of the Denali, however I hate to give up the 6.2, AWD, 6 speed AT and the interior upgrades. When GM finally goes belly up they can blame it on the GMC division.
    I know Chevy has offered the basic Denali package with the 06 LTZ. Does anyone know if they have similar plans for 07? The web site says not, but maybe if there is enough demand they will realize that is what will sell.

Don
    6 spd is supposed to come to the Tahoe/Suburban at some point. Unclear just when, however.
  • suburknocksuburknock Member Posts: 8
    :confuse: I have a new Suburban 2006 2500 4 wheel drive 8.1 engine which at first start of the day after running for 30 seconds has a light knock for 30 more seconds. For the rest of the warmed up day there is no knocking. This started after only 000,750 miles on it and now has 001,650. Does any one out there have an 8.1 that knocks. :mad:
  • motoworfmotoworf Member Posts: 8
    At one time they were the only ones producing an SUV with cargo door. Now others have them and GM has dropped production.

Has anyone heard of GM bringing back the cargo doors?
  • jsomersjsomers Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 2500 4 wheel with the 8.1 and the 4:1 rear. It knocked from day one and I was not happy. I asked GM for a 100,000 mile warranty on the motor and they gave it to me. The dealer backed me up so it was easy to get. It still knocks to this day and I have 47000 on the truck and pull a 10000 pound RV Trailer. They say its normal for the 8.1
  • rmejiarmejia Member Posts: 8
    Just installed new 22" wheels and tires on my suburban, I saved lots of money by buying them myself and installing them too. Problem is I can't seem to reset the tire pressure setting on all four tires. any suggestions? I have the DIC system if thats makes a difference.
  • manmountainmanmountain Member Posts: 44
    I have a '99 Tahoe with the 5.? engine (not the 5.3) and it 'knocks' for about the first 30 seconds, especially in cold weather. My mechanic brother-in-law (who works on a lot of commercially used GM trucks) says it's 'piston slap' and a result of the engine design...and not a problem. My Tahoe has 170 kms on it and runs like a top...knock not withstanding.
  • muskyhuntermuskyhunter Member Posts: 9
    May GM trucks are well known for what is commonly called Piston Slap. I have it on my 800 series 2000 5.3L Yukon and I have heard it on several 6.0L GM trucks. I took it to the dealer to complain several times when it was newer but they just printed a page from the GM dealer service intranet that said it was not considered a problem. Eventually they gave me a letter that said it will not cause long term damage. I know some that received an extension to 100,000 mi warranty only the motor. See www dot pistonslap dot com for more details.
  • muskyhuntermuskyhunter Member Posts: 9
    I just noticed that in the last few weeks GM started offering the Yukon XL and the Suburban with the 6.0L for approximately an $1,100 upgrade. You don't have to order the 3/4 ton to get the 6.0L.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Since these are no longer future vehicles, let's take the talk to the existing discussions. Try these links:

2007 Caddy Escalade

2007 Chevrolet Tahoe and GMC Yukon

GMC Yukon XL and Yukon XL Denali

(Catam, your recent tranny post was moved to the 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe and GMC Yukon discussion).
This discussion has been closed.