Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac Escalade

Comments

• pdinnispdinnis Member Posts: 1
    Myself and a friend bought one new 2003 Escalade EXT, and a Escalade only two weeks ago. Both vehicles suffer with a very uncomfortable downshift on the automatic box. Under 1000rpm the box makes a clunk which can be felt through the chassis. It appears GM sees this fault as being normal. Having paid $53000 each for these vehicles it is not the answer we should expect.

We would be interested in any other buyers who are suffering the same problem, only in numbers are GM going to do something about it.

Having driven the Avalanche and earlier pre 2000 Escalades the problem was not apparent until the permanent 4 wheel drive 6 litre Escalades.
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I have an Isuzu Trooper which runs a GM 4L30E transmission. While slowing to a stop there is a clunk which has been attributed to the torque converter releasing. Supposedly a feature and helps preserve the life of the transmission? The escalade runs the 4L60E which shares the same kind of torque converter clutch. Maybe the same "feature".

http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpowertrain/transmissions/hydra/app- - s/4l60.htm
  • coleoncoleon Member Posts: 1
    "the high need/status insecure person, and the gold chain crowd account for the bulk (pardon the pun) of the buyers. But thats OK. They have to get to work too. They just look comical doing it."

Hmmm this poster seems like the envious insecure jealous type to me. I went to a recent Lexus Test drive Event and the Cadillac was 2nd best truck out there behind the Lexus. For the money the Cadillac is a good deal compared to the expensive Lexus and Land Rover. Also for later personal stereotypical rants people don't wear gold chains anymore they wear platinium and diamonds.
  • blockislandguyblockislandguy Member Posts: 336
    COLEON, OK I stand corrected about fashion accessories. I guess I don't get out much. But what does one now call the garish types that used to be described as the gold chain crowd? I don't think that "the platinium and diamonds crowd" has the same descriptive power or resonance.

I am interested in why you think that the Escalade is such a good deal compared to a Lexus or a Rover. If you want the content that the Escalade offers, a much better deal would be the Denali. Or does that big ol' wreath on the back deck have inherent value?
  • wulf007wulf007 Member Posts: 20
    So what is your problem Blockislandguy, are you suffering from emblem envy? Base priced Escalade is $20K LESS than the Rover and $12K LESS than the LX470. Comparable vehicle, less money - doesn't take brain surgery. In the Edmunds shoot out of luxury SUV's guess which one came in first. Hint-not Rover or Lexus. The Escalade has better build quality than Denali (ranked second only to Lexus by JD Powers), more horsepower and IMHO a much nicer ride. I think the customer service is better with the Escalade than with GMC as well. Go back and read post 622 and get a clue. I get tired of the Proletariat knocking the Escalade when there are certainly more expensive SUV's out there, including the ones previously mentioned as well as the Navigator and Hummer2. If one needs a larger vehicle with power to tow and AWD and has the coin to get an upscale vehicle why should you care? Its not like you are making the payments or buying the gas. Get a Sante Fe or KIA Sportage if thats your preference. Or here is a novel concept, go out and test drive the vehicles you mentioned and buy whichever one you prefer. My guess is that you don't like any of them and are just using the Escalade as a target for your ranting. So either get the facts before you pontificate or stay on the I hate SUVs Board that was suggested previously.
  • blockislandguyblockislandguy Member Posts: 336
    Wulf007, I think you misunderstand my point. I really don't give a hoot what anyone drives and in fact agree with the post you referenced. GTeach26 is right that the more variety there is out there, the more choices are available and the more interesting is the car scene. Further I don't disagree you about with the Edmunds shoot out, the JD Powers report on build quality, the value of large, capable tow vehicles, or your feeling that a Cadilac service department will be a better place to go than a busy GM dealer. I wouldn't argue with you if you feel that in your opinion an Escalade has a better ride than a Denali. Afterall its your body on the seat.

Having said all that, I merely made an observation, that to my eyes the typical Escalade owner could be categorized to some degree. Just like Saab drivers share certain demographic characteristics, Escalade owners do also. Now one can disagree with my characterizations of the Escalade owner because maybe they were abrasive, unpleasant, unkind (yes, I plead guilty), or inaccurate. You could even fly in the face of 50 years of market research and maintain that there is no typical Escalade, Saab, or BMW owner. But my observation has nothing to do with the vehicle's quality, durability, etc. as much as with the tendency of the owners to share certain characteristics.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I prefer the emblem in gold, myself.......
  • welt33welt33 Member Posts: 1
    blockislandguy,i just bought an escalade ext,I do not own any chains,diamonds or platinium.I work 40 hours a week for a telephone company.I bought an escalade because i liked it and the price was great,I Have no reason to impress anyone with the type of car I drive since my previous car was and still is a 1989 toyota tercel,which I drive more than the ext.So am I the typical escalade owner?I think you wish you had an escalade or maybe your a litte envious.
    I think it is "emblem-envy", actually...... Soo many people seem to dislike their looks, but I think they fit in the family very nicely.
  • jdevoy1jdevoy1 Member Posts: 3
    My wife went out yesterday and tried to start our new 2003 Escalade and it was totally dead. When it got to the dealer they accused us of having another key made for it (which is not true). They reset the computer and then asked to borrow the car for the weekend so they could test drive it (yeah, right, probably wanted to take it to their vacation house). Has anyone else had their Escalade shut down due to official key recognition problems?
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    I once had issues with having my wife's Lexus key (has its own security chip)on the same key ring as my Lincoln Navigator key. It seems the Lexus chip was causing interference with the Lincoln's key recognition computer in the dash. This was a few years back in a 2000 gator. After a few times of the engine not starting I eliminated the Lexus key from my key ring and all was perfect. Could something similar be happening to you? Check to make sure no other keys in your key ring have a security chip, remove the other key(s) and see if this solves the problem.
  • jdevoy1jdevoy1 Member Posts: 3
    We do also have a BMW with chip recognition key! Maybe that is it...
  • riverfamriverfam Member Posts: 1
    We love our 2003 AWD Escalade. Pulls our boat better than any other SUV or truck we have ever owned. But..........have had it in the shop twice now for a winding up sound as you accelerate, and winding down hum as you decelerate. Sound is horrible in the morning when the car is cold, sound softens as car warms up. We also feel a vibration in the steering wheel and in the brake pedal since the winding hum has appeared. Just picked up car yesterday for the second time to have this problem taken care of, but the car is still having the same problem. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be causing this problem?
    Sounds as if it may be a malfunctioning fan clutch.
  • brilesbriles Member Posts: 3
    I had the same problem, car was just dead! Had it towed to dealer. They said they had a recall with regard to the programming. Something to do with the battery being drained while the vehicle was off. Mine is a 2003 and beein in shop 6 times for suspension and steering problems too! On hard turns steering wheel does not rotate back. Has anyone had those problems?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Cadillac of stolen cars (Post Gazette)

Steve, Host
  • eddie921eddie921 Member Posts: 1
    I would like to know if anyone has a problem or discovered with their EXT everytime it rains it penetrates thru the panels and water sits in the bed area.
    If you check out the Avalance board, you'll find it's very common....
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    What do you expect?

-mike
    Well, you expect the cab to stay dry if the windows are up. These don't though.
    He was talking about the cab? I thought he meant the bed cover got wet under it.

-mike
    The folks on the Avalance board say if you park the truck downhill in the rain, your floor of the cab fills up with water. A slight annoyance should you like dry feet...
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    I looked at the Cadillac Escalade for the first time yesterday. I've been thinking of changing to a larger SUV (currently a 2002 Mercedes ML500 w/3rd seat).

My first choice was the Lincoln Navigator because of the looks, auto tailgate and fold flat third seats. But, the darn sunvisors don't extend when pulled to the sides (very importantt feature to me).

Since there is a Cadillac dealer near my home (closer than a GMC dealer) I decided to check them out. I have to say I was impressed with them. I would prefer the Escalade ESV personally. And yes, it has the completely adjustable sunvisors.

My question is, do any of you have the Navigational system? The one that I looked at had everything but a nav system. Also, how is the air conditioning system? Is it ice cold and will blow your wig off?

I have not bought a GM product since my new 1981 Oldsmobile. What a disaster! (engine failure, electrical problems, suspension problems). Basically since then, I've stuck with the Japanese and currently, German cars. As a second car, I've had a couple of Jeep Grand Cherokees that I liked with decent reliability.

So, if any of you have comments on the air and nav system, it would be appreciated. Thanks, Mark156
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
    Almost two months go by and no one is talking on this thread? I see tons of Escalades driving around so surely someone has something to say about their SUV.

The Escalade must be running pretty smooth with no glitches. On the other sights, people nit pick on the smallest things....... or is GM paying everyone not to respond here......??????

LOL! Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    ...or is GM paying everyone not to respond here......??????

You mean you didn't get your check?? ;-)

Feel free to bring up issues that concern you. That's likely to get the ball rolling again.

tidester, host
    Tidester, I'm really thinking of buying one of these in the next couple of weeks and I would like people to talk about them. I hear so much about vehicles on other threads but this thread is asleep.

My concerns were about the navagational system and the air conditioning as stated in the posts above. Hopefully, someone will respond with info.

Happy Motoring. Mark156
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I've never driven one but anyone I've ever heard talk about an Escalade has nothing but praise for them. Do some research on the nav system before you buy - some older systems lack features that you might want and I don't know what system Cadillac is using.

tidester, host
    Some think that GM owners, esp. Caddy owners, are older and not net saavy. I think that's way off-base since I help a couple of 70 year olds with their domains now and then and they are plenty net capable. Plus lots of people like you don't fit the Caddy age stereotype.

Others posit that domestic owners don't talk about cars in general like owners of import makes. But that doesn't explain why the Wrangler board is often in the top ten around here.

How are Escalade sales doing anyway? Anyone seen any recent numbers? Are the incentives a major factor in your shopping?

Steve, Host
  • eaton53eaton53 Member Posts: 356
    The Slade, EXT and ESV are on pace to sell about 60K units this year. It's the best selling luxury SUV.

The newest Cadillac models don't require heavy discounting to sell, although the Slade has had occasional incentives. I don't think there's anything now.

Nothing exists that is bigger and stronger - it even handles well for a big guy, thanks to Caddy's suspension tricks. Cadillacs perform well in the reliability surveys too.... if you want one of these, go for it.
    Every year, the Edmunds.com editors gather to ponder that eternal question, "What cars or trucks would we most want to park in our garage?"

Large SUV Over $45,000: Escalade/Escalade ESV

Steve, Host
    are Domestic autos really that bad? The list has so very few domestic names on it, it's truly sad.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    dont buy a Suburban/Yukon XL/Denali/Escalade

why?

1. Pushrod engines - Instead of improving efficiency and gas mileage, they lower both of them because of their lack of overhead cams, Variable Valve Timing and/or Variable Induction System. plus they are too harsh and accelerate slowly
    2. Poor crash tests - Silverado, which is based on Suburban or the other way around, got only a MARGINAL in crash tests scores
    3. Lack of airbags and safety features - ONLY side airbags are available, nope..no side curtains here! also the Traction Control System and Stability Management System isn't as advanced as the Japanese
    4. Poor build quality - why are u paying 50K for a Suburban with fake wood inside?? call it Escalade!..not worth it, believe me..ive had experience..also, the GM "parts bin" gives the same materials and plastics from the low-quality Suburban/Tahoe to the Escalade/Denali..NOT WORTH IT!

So why buy Japanese?

1. New Infiniti QX56 - the size of an Escalade with a sexier interior with the latest in safety, technological, and mechanical features..better gas mileage too..better overall resale value and much higher-quality at a couple-of-thousand dollars less
    2. Toyota Sequoia - higher quality and STILL BUILT IN US..wow! was it a miracle or what? more safety features too
    3. Nissan Pathfinder Armada - new and capable of everything

**remember this: even the 2004 Lincoln Navigator has more sophistication in it! It just needs a more powerful engine..
    RCtennis, have you even looked at the Escalade in person? Believe me, I had not been a GM fan for a long time but I think that their products have made a turn around in every area in the last few years.

I haven't purchased anything yet but the Escalade is at the top of my list. Engine-wise, I don't care if it's pushrod or not. The Escalade has a 6.0 liter engine with 345 hp. The gas mileage on a vehicle this size is not going to be high. The Sequoia gets 14 in the city where as the Escalade ESV gets 12 and the ESV has much more room. I found that the Sequoia is rather cheap looking on the inside and I'm not wild about the exterior styling at all. I looked at the 2002 Sequoia when I purchased my 2002 Mercedes. Of course, this is just my opinion and personal taste.

I have not seen the Infiniti QX56 yet but the Nissan Armada is SO unattractive, maybe the Infiniti will look better. I've had many Japanese cars in the past; a '79 Datsun 210, '81 Nissan 210 wagon, '87 Maxima and a '89 Maxima. Also, the '87 and '89 were not totally trouble free. The paint on the '89 was very low quality. They were reliable but I'm not particularly fond of the Japanese products right now (Style-wise).

Also, the Suburban and Yukon don't have any wood on the dash at all. The Denali has it as does the Escalade and it looks really nice, especially on the Cadillac.

So, I think your blanket statement of "do not buy GM" is unwarranted. I really don't think you have really looked at the GM product up close. The fit and finish on these (from what I have personally seen) are very nice and comparable to the Japanese.

Mark
    Everything needs a more powerful engine.

Toyota Sequoia... it has all of this "sophisticated technology" and gets just 2 mpg better than the Slade while making 105 less hp and 75 less lb/ft of torque.

When Toyota makes a truck capable of doing real work, then it will be worthy of even being in this discussion. As it is right now, the Sequoia is a joke.

The Armada does better (at least it has torque), but it's still got 45 less hp while gettng all of 1 more mpg than the Slade, and has less room. Closer, but still a loser.
    by saying don't buy GM..i should've said that differently..

but yes, I have seen the new Escalades lately before we bought our new car..but I'm not as impressed as you..<sorry>

i really like how Caddilac has IMPROVED over the years but to me the Escalade is my second choice..i dont know why, but maybe Ive been near one too long..

im just a really big fan of the new QX56 though, which I think should prove to be some very much needed competition to the Escalade as America's "PIMP" car LOL..

and plus, im not trying to compare the Sequioa to the Escalde..i accidentally put it in..

but either way u choose <QX56 OR ESCALADE> uve still made an awesome choice
    Values utility highly.... the extra room in the ESV makes it the vehicle of choice.

Haven't seen the Infiniti yet, but their last few efforts (FX and G35) have been very good.... much better than Toyota/Lexus.
    and we all appreciate the apology, because you were all wet, comparing a Sequoia to an Escalade. The Sequoia is all Toyota from front to back, styled by the VP of Monotony. I prefer the Navigator, mainly because of the interior, but there is nothing wrong with the Escalade, the Yukon, Denali or even the humble Suburban. They're damn good trucks, and Japan, who makes very dependable cars, has yet to best North America at what they do best - big stuff. That's just MY opinion. Now be nice, or go back to your Asian threads and leave us alone in our delusions, ok?
    Just for the record, if I do decided to get an ESV, it will not be "pimped up". Granted, a lot of them have been but mine will most likely be gray with the standard wheels from the factory. The ESV looks much more Suburban like.

Mark
    It's cool, if you are in "that class" to have a duded up burban. I can't imagine why one would buy a truck @ 50K to bling around it, would rather buy a limo or something.

-mike
    yea thanks!

and wow u drive a Navigator!! how is it going?? we were about to buy one, but we decided we didn't need all the room (maybe next time)..

i ACTUALLY didnt mean to put the Sequioa in there, if anyone still thinks that!

and Caddys ARE good...im just not as big a fan of them as some other cars..EXCEPT for the new XLR which should probably be tough competition for the SL55 from MB
    but why does the Escalade (which looks pretty nice) NOT look as nice as a Navigator, or is it just me?? The Navigator is based on the Expedition and has a TOTALLY DIFFERENT interior and really supped up exterior...but the Escalade which is based on the Suburban has the SAME interior only with wood and some metallic trim added..

honestly, I think they should have tried as much as Lincoln did to make the interior nicer, especially when paying about 50-grand for an SUV
    The Navigator is doing fine, very happy with it. I chose it over the Slade largely because I like the 2WD version, and with the Caddy in 2WD, you get the small engine (5.3L) and still miss out on the running boards, power liftgate & power folding 3rd row seats thing, and the delicious unique interior. The Gator has the 48 valve engine in either version and all that other stuff.
  • david188david188 Member Posts: 9
    I've been through all the boards. Here is the problem: My wife and I had twins 3 months ago and we have a 2.5 year old.

My wife likes SUVs (she's from Texas). We like something nice (need to get rid of the "big" Mercedes 430 sedan - too small now).

On a typical trip we'll have 3 adults (possibly 4), 3 kids in car seats that we need to tend to, and suitcases and strollers that need to go behind the 3rd seat. We also want DVDs to pacify the little one, something nice, safe and attractive. The Suburbans scare me.

What would you recommend and why? I'm hearing that the Lexus 470 may be too small for storage. The extended Navigator is something I should test drive. The "Slade?" May be the Expedition, Suburban/Yukon Denali XL. What else?

Do any of you have practical experience with these or other vehicles, with 3 car seats - long drive, with 3 or 4 adults? Which vehicles are most apt to get me to say "ahhh" an not want to slit my wrists?
    Japan has nothing big enough for your family. The Sequoia is smaller than a Tahoe. Don't know why the Suburban scares you, but that's your car. The Expedition or Navigator would do it, I have an employee with 4 kids and 3 car seats, and the Expedition works for him, but on long trips, he needs a cargo carrier on the roof. Yukon XL or Escalade EXT are the same as the Suburban. That's your car in the SUV world. IMO
  • david188david188 Member Posts: 9
    The Suburban "scares me" because it looks like an aircraft carrier going down the streets of Manhattan (where we live)!

Which one do you prefer for me and why (ignoring price)?
    OH, well, I understand now! But Martha Stewart drives one, so if she can (in good taste, of course,) you could!

Ignoring price? Get the long Escalade!!
    Suburban v. Long Exclade in Manhattan. What's the difference? Any of the full-size ones are overkill for the city. But since you are obviously in that upp-crust set, why not just buy a Limo??? :)

-mike
    Either one, you can't park!
    so tru! so tru!
    Better get a driver with that Slade, rc..... I've spent a lot of time in the city - but would never dare try to drive it.