Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series Run Flat Tires

Comments

• rflrfl Member Posts: 100
    Stop reflecting and just do it... life is too short for reflections! My (2008)335xi is the best one I've owned (my fifth BMW). Goes like a bat out of hell and with the conti's it's a MUCH better ride than my 330xi(2006). INSIST on the conti's...DO NOT TAKE DELIVERY WITH BRIDGESTONE'S or you will hate life. Not a bad deal...mine listed for about $4000 less than yours and my lease 36/10k with NO $$ DOWN is about the same with NO 7X security deposits. I for one will not give them ANY securities. Have had a bad experience before when they are holding your $$ at lease end and for some reason you don't buy another of the same brand. Better to have the $$ in your pocket despite the implied 11% interest on your deposits. )BTW... at that price he's got about two grand in the car... Cost my foot ! A dealer has NEVER sold a car for cost since the beginning of mankind! Have a fun weekend.
  • ursamajorursamajor Member Posts: 127
    The trunk rack can present theft problems when you wish to park the car. In addition, I would rather not take the risk of scratching the exterior paint using a rack, although I realize that there is always the risk of soiling or tearing the interior if the bike is stored in the cargo area, but I've done that before, and use care and a blanket-like wrap to cover the sharp edges.
  • tysonitysoni Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a NEW 2006 325i and have already written a $1250 check to the dealership for new run-flats. 4 months later, I had a nail in 1 tire and paid $225 for a new tire. Now, it's been another 4 months and I just noticed a new nail in a different tire. I am sooooo disgusted. I love the ultimate driving machine and have owned 5 BMW's during my lifetime, but have never had sooooo many problems with tires. The Bridgestone run-flat market needs to be eliminated, put to rest. I am ready for social action.
  • nkeennkeen Member Posts: 313
    Quite right! How about bringing suit against BMW so that they will be forced to contribute to a highway nail removal fund proportionate to the cost of their original equipment tires?

Oh dear. I hope that we E90 owners can all sleep safely despite your desire to have the Bridgestone run-flat market eliminated.;)

You ought to be able to save some money shopping for tires online, whichever way you decide to go-- you've had a run of bad luck for sure. These tires are expensive.
  • sealoftsealoft Member Posts: 3
    I have had my 330XI for 2 years now. I have hit pot holes and bumps and the front end has taken a beating but the tires and rims have not sustained damage. I have had a few front end alignments but that is all. I have even hit a curb when my car rolled down the hill--oops forgot to put in gear and did not apply the parking brake and proceeded to hit a granite curb at about 10 MPH. No wheel damage but carved off the bottom side of the grille--not so good. So I would say definitely a waste of money.
  • carbarncarbarn Member Posts: 1
    There are currently two vehicles in my garage with semi-pneumatic tires. My 2006 BMW 3-series wagon with sport suspension (equipped with those short-lived and amazingly noisy Bridgestone Turanza RFTs) - and my grandson's tricycle. Both are very similar in terms of ride quality and suitability for long trips.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    Congratulations on the best first post I've ever read. If you've had time to read the rest of this board, you know that switching over to real tires is a very workable option.

Good luck, and thanks for the laugh (well, wry chuckle).
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • erich5erich5 Member Posts: 1
    And I hope they work better than the Bridgestones. But, I find myself wondering if I wouldn't have been better off getting a regular set of Contis or Michelins along with a can of fix-a-flat.....
  • bobsapbobsap Member Posts: 14
    I picked up my 335xi coupe on Tuesday!!! Its my 5th also, and so far so good with the Conti's...I reduced the pressure to 31 in front & 32 in back, and its not much different than my 2005 545...except, faster and more of a "me car"!!! I took the GE 3-yr wheel insurance and they discounted it for 695...i am very friendly with the service & parts director, after 5 Bmw's, and he told me not to worry about wear...they will give me new tires if they wear out before my lease is up, or if something better comes along...i may yet pick up the Conti kit, just in case...the only real surprise is that i was not aware that their is no alarm???
    hasn't been an alarm in the 3's for years. It's wired allright but you have to get the "kit" for $500. How about no panic-alarm either...can't find the car in the mall parking lot? Goes nicely with the cardboard trunk liner don't you think?
  • highjackhighjack Member Posts: 1
    Have a 2006 325i with 52000 miles. Replaced the noisy (and bad ride) Bridgestones at 32000 with Conti's. No noise, reasonable ride and good wear at for the last 20000.
    Bought the warranty for $17 per tire and had one replaced for just new warranty of $17.
  • 330cic330cic Member Posts: 8
    We just bought an '05 330 cic that has the Conti RFT's on it. They're noisier thatn we're used to and our Bimmer sales rep said that they should be good for ~ 25K - 30K miles. Is that accurate? Form reading above, it appears that I might be able to reduce the noise by checking the infaltion of them? If this is correct, it'll make my wife much happier.

Also, has anyone replaced their RFT's with regular tires with a longer tread life? We don't drive the car aggressively ( I know, it's a sin) ;) so I don't know that we'd even need "performance" tires that have invcredibly short tread life either.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,720
    Runflats were optional on the '05 330Cic.. You have room for a spacesaver spare... so, you can certainly switch.. and I would.. I've got the same car.. and mine came with regular tires.

There are many more choices in regular tires... and they are cheaper.. You can purchase the spacesaver spare with the money you save on the first set..

regards,
    kyfdx
    visiting host

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

So, what "regular" tires do you have on your 330?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,720
    Continental all-seasons.. (non-runflat)

Not that I recommend them... They are just okay, but a lot better than all-season runflats, by all accounts.. they are the OEM tire. I haven't had to replace them, because I run winter tires in the winter (duh), and don't have that many miles on them.

Unless you have the Sport package, you should have 205/50-17 on 17" X 7" wheels... Take a look at Tirerack.com.. There should be a plethora of choices...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• kenshirokenshiro Member Posts: 16
    I can't seem to find the information on 50% for changing tires if the mileage is under 20k. I checked BMW North America website. Does anyone have the link to the information?
    I can't stand the noise anymore, and I am going to th dealership this weekend to have them replaced. I would like to print out a copy of the information in case the dealer decides not to offer the discount. Any suggestions?
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Can't find the link but found this Service Bulletin. Good luck.

SI B 36 06 06
    Wheels and Tires February 2008
    Technical Service

Load Graphics
    This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI B36 06 06 dated January 2007.

designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
    Noise Caused by Irregular Tire Wear

MODEL
    E90, E91 (3 Series) equipped with Bridgestone Turanza EL42 RFT Run Flat Tires

The affected tires can be identified by the last four digits of the DOT number, which is embossed on the tire's sidewall. New tires have been introduced as noted below.

Tire Description
    DOT Number
    Vehicle Production

Bridgestone Turanza EL42 RFT 205/55R16
    9/10/07

Bridgestone Turanza EL42 RFT 225/45R17
    9/14/06

Only tires which have been produced with DOT numbers lower than those listed above are eligible for replacement under the guidelines outlined in this bulletin.

SITUATION
    An abnormal or loud noise caused by irregular tire wear on some Bridgestone Turanza EL42 RFT Run Flat tires may be objectionable to some customers. The noise is totally different from normal road noise.

CORRECTION
    If this situation is detected based upon a customer complaint and only if the tires have less than 20,000 miles, follow the recommendations listed under Procedure.

PROCEDURE
    [S3606U01.JPG]
    Abnormal noise may be caused by the irregular tire wear referenced in this Service Information. The wear occurs at the tire's inner and outer shoulders as indicated by the arrows in the illustration.
    Tires, which exhibit this type of wear, will have feathered or scalloped edges of the tread blocks at the tire's inner and outer shoulder areas.

[S3606U02.JPG]
    This type of wear is referred to as heel and toe wear. Heel and toe wear is simply a difference in height between the leading and trailing edges of the individual tread blocks as shown in the illustration. While this condition is not uncommon, a difference in tread block height of more than 0.6mm can create an abnormal noise.

This type of wear can be noted when inspecting the shoulder areas visually or by hand.

Always wear leather gloves when handling/inspecting tires.

The tread blocks will feel smooth in one direction and rough in the opposing direction.

Due to the differences in wear patterns which usually occur at the front and rear axle tires, this type of irregular wear is generally limited to the tires fitted on the front axle. But, if the rear tires are also causing abnormal noise and exhibit this type of wear, then all 4 tires should be replaced.

Heel and toe wear can be accelerated by low tire pressure and vehicle overloading. Therefore, customers should be reminded to check tire pressures at appropriate intervals. BMW recommends checking tire pressures at least twice a month and before long trips.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
    Tires are warranted by their manufacturer and not by BMW of North America. This type of irregular wear is not covered by the normal tire warranty. Claims that arise from this Service Information may be submitted by participating centers using the BMW Tire Center Target Satisfaction Program. For more information regarding the BMW Tire Center Target Satisfaction Program, please refer to Service Information B01 02 04.

Use DCSnet claim entry selecting "NO" next to Tire Program on the Repair Order Line Item Details screen. Claim rejection will result if this instruction is not followed.

REIMBURSEMENT
    Reimbursement for claims under this Service Information will be processed in accordance with the terms and conditions of the BMW Tire Center Target Satisfaction Program, with the exceptions noted in this SI. Only centers enrolled in the BMW Tire Center Target Satisfaction Program will be permitted to submit claims for reimbursement.

All claims submitted in conjunction with this SI will be paid at the following rates:

100% part and labor reimbursement as noted below, up to 10,000 miles on the tire.

50% part and 100% labor reimbursement, from 10,001 to 20,000 miles on the tire.

Defect Code
    36 12 93 57 00

Labor Reimbursement
    $20 per tire
    Sublet code: 4

Disposal Allowance
    $5 per tire
    Sublet Code: 4

Tires
    Dealer Net cost
    (see percent based on mileage stated above)

NOTES
    Please note that the following conditions apply to all claims related to this Service Information:

Only tires that exhibit the specific wear outlined in this Service Information are eligible for coverage.

Bridgestone tires, when available, will be used for replacement.

Part Number
    Description

36 12 0 444 547
    Bridgestone Turanza EL42 RFT 205/55R16

36 12 0 403 093
    Bridgestone Turanza EL42 RFT 225/45R17

If the specified Bridgestone tires are not available, please contact The BMW Tire Center for other BMW approved tires that can be used as substitutes.

The Dealer Net cost is established based on the applicable BMW part numbers.

Tires which have been in use for more than 20,000 miles are not eligible for coverage under this Service Information.

Tires that have been plugged, patched, or otherwise repaired are not eligible for coverage.

Tires will not be requested for return unless otherwise noted. They should be rendered useless and properly discarded/recycled.

Tires that do not meet all criteria listed in this Service Information will result in a debit of the entire claim.

[ Copyright © 2008 BMW of North America, LLC ]

Regards,
    OW
    link title

Regards,
    OW
    Glendale, CA. New 335xi is on way with four Conti Contact SSR RFTs (that is a condition of leasing--no other tire will be accepted). After reading these boards and thinking about the trips I usually take, I ordered a full-size spare with a factory standard wheel, Style 159 with of course the same tire. I'll keep the spare in the trunk (winter pkg.--rear seats fold forward) on long trips, but not in city. My cost for the spare was $ 562 including CA sales tax of 8.25%; the tire is $ 187 + tax. Can this be right? I asked several people at the dealer,and they insisted this is the entire cost. There is a discount, but something like $ 50, when I had read that a new RFT would cost near $ 400. Any explanation other than dealer goodwill, as I'm leasing from them?
    Conti RFT's cost $144/each at tire rack

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare1.jsp?filterType=oe&width=225/&ratio=45&d- iameter=17&autoYear=2008&diameter=17&sortCode=49650&minLoad=S&ratio=45&autoMake=- BMW&autoModClar=Base+Model&minSpeedRating=H&width=225%2F&autoModel=335i+Sedan&fi- lterType=oe&vehicleSearch=true&startIndex=0&search=true&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pag- emark=1&speed_rating=H&speed_rating=V&speed_rating=Z&speed_rating=W&speed_rating- =Y&speed_rating=(Y)&RunFlat=All

Regards,
    OW
    a good choice? These are the factory specifications for the run-flat all-weather tires listed on my invoice (335xi sedan is enroute). I told the dealer I wouldn't accept the car without the tires you described. I also ordered a fifth tire--a spare--which consists of the identical tire (Conti Cont SSR #665SOP# Light Alloy, style 159) as the tire and wheels which are supposed to be on the vehicle when delivered to me. I am surprised at the price: Conti tire: $ 187; Wheel 361; leasee discount $ 30, net before tax $ 519.75. Can this be correct? I have the invoice and charged this purchase.
    Tire is $144 from Tire Rack plus shipping, the wheel (discounted from the dealer) was $286 plus your tax...$562 seems ok (not exactly cost...so the dealer made a buck or two). Did the same thing with my new 335xi and just drove 1500 miles on vacation with LOTS of luggage and did'nt even put the fold down seat down. No problems! P.S. anybody that pays $400 for a conti RFT is NUTS or just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Enjoy the car...it's the best beemer I've owned (#5). The suspension has been improved and with the spare you have the best of all possible worlds.
  • blueroadblueroad Member Posts: 10
    We just replaced the Bridgestone run flats with Michelin MXV4, and my wife's 2006 325 is a phenomenally better car. The local BMW dealer wouldn't replace them unless they were run flats, and Sam's couldn't, but we had no trouble at NTB.

We went through the BMW service disaster of claiming it was OUR problem by not checking the tire pressure each week, and that all they needed was rotation. Plus the $250 puncture replacement. The NTB dealer said the rear tires were okay, but the front end was out of alignment. It seemed like BMW couldn't see past the problem that they wanted to deny.

Whoever is in charge of public relations at BMW should be canned. I've actually had passengers laugh at the car because of the roaring noise. Not exactly ultimate. That said, we love the car with good tires.
  • melwaltermelwalter Member Posts: 2
    BMW has a major problem with their run flat tires that the company is not owning up to. I had a 2006 BMW 325i. I complained at my first oil change (6,000 miles) and my second (14,000 miles) about excessive tire noise. Everyone at the service department and dealer denied that there was a problem. At 15,800 miles I got a flat and was then told that all four of my tires were shot and that I needed a news set of tires. All I had to do was a Google search under BMW tire problem to confirm my suspicion. How can we expose this issue and get BMW to take responsibility for a defective product?
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Ummm, based upon the contents of your post it seems that you haven't done much reading in this thread. I'm thinking that if you browse the last couple of hundred posts you'll find all of the answers that you're looking for.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • imran62781imran62781 Member Posts: 26
    I need your expert advice that will help me make a decision. In the last month, I noticed a growling noise which i thought was coming from the engine. Went and got it checked and it was the tires (still can't believe it). Even though I am slightly over the 20K mark, the dealer said he would do the 50% option for me, which if I understand correctly would leave me with just 2 tires to pay. While I can bear the noise, I want to know whether these tires will actually last me another 10k miles? If so I'd rather wait to change the tires, even if I have to pay for it all. On the other hand, if the tires will get much louder and wear in a hurry from this point on, I'd rather split the costs and get free labor. Please help me, even if you feel this is a stupid question.
  • melwaltermelwalter Member Posts: 2
    I would take anything you can get out of BMW. They would not offer me a penny. They would not even pay the cost to install new tires even if I purchased four new ones. I immediately traded my car and will never buy BMW again.
  • bdkinnhbdkinnh Member Posts: 292
    You took the trade-in loss just so you wouldn't have to pay for the mount & balance? That'll show 'em!
    Hmmm, a few points:

1) Yes, your tires will most likely go an additional 10,000 miles
    2) Yes, they will most likely get even noiser the longer you drive them
    3) If you opt to go with your dealer's offer, most folks recommend that you hold out for Continental RFTs in lieu of another set of Bridgestones
    4) I don't know what your dealer is charging for tires, however, you might find that a set of GFTs via TireRack will cost you less and server you better than going with another set of RFTs.

Keep us posted on how yo make out.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    My 335xi sedan arrived with Continental SSR RFTs, as several had suggested were the optimal type. Excerpted e-mail today:

"The car came w/ Continental SSR 22545 R17

Regards,

Pacific BMW Internet Sales
    800 South Brand Blvd.
    Glendale, CA 91201"

I purchased an identical spare for $ 562, tire and Style 159 factory wheel, including sales tax of 42.73, courtesy discount of $ 30.

I would probably take delivery this weekend. So far, no problems whatsoever. Order was placed 12/28/07.
  • idoc2idoc2 Member Posts: 78
    I am an avid roadbiker and drive a 2007 328xi. I ride a 2002 Cannondale R2000. I can assure you that with the front wheel off, a typical roadbike with dropped handlebars will easily fit into an e90 3-series with the rear seat down. If your bike only has 12 speeds it must be very old as modern road bikes have 18-20 speeds when equipped with a double chain ring front crank.

IDOC
  • occdnoccdn Member Posts: 3
    I am not sure if these issues are related, and frankly I can't spend the next week reading through this thread so I am hoping someone can help.

I bought a 2006 bmw 325i from a VW dealer. The car has had issues on the roads past 45, where the front end vibrates very badly. Not only that but it pulls the car from side to side. It feels very unsafe.

This is not a road noise issue. But since the dealer changed the tires to pirellis the BMW dealer says they won't even look at the front end because the tire change voided the warranty.

What is my next action?
    Ask your dealer to fix the problem.

Regards,
    OW
    Yes, we will be doing this as soon as we get the car back. BMW said they will diagnose the problem for free so we can take it to the VW dealer. If they refuse to fix it that way at least i know what the problem is and have an idea of cost.
    The dealer replaced our front control arm and bushings. Apparently they were cracked/leaking. Also our runflat has a nail in it. $500 for a replacement. So that was causing the vibrations.
    they want to charge me $180 for an alignment. shouldn't that be part of the 100% labor? or is it right for them to charge me?
    anyone?
  • bdkinnhbdkinnh Member Posts: 292
    Well, technically an alignment isn't 100% necessary so I guess it's a judgment call. Recommended, but not essential.

If they recommend one with every tire swap, then you could try arguing that it should be part of the service.
  • superdogsuperdog Member Posts: 37
    Spoke to CS there. No more Conti rfts for production, only Bridgestone and Goodyear. They told me bridgestone fixed the problem with that tire model. Anyone hear differently?

SD
  • bobsapbobsap Member Posts: 14
    Well, after 2-months of deciding whether my 5th BMW is worth the aggravation with respect to the RFT issue, on 29 Jan I drove home the little beast, the 335xi coupe...having had a 740, 2-540's & a 545, this car is pure ANIMAL...the Conti's are not that bad, I reduced pressure to 31 in the front & 32 in the rear...while its a bit rough coming from a 5-series, its also a great sport ride..and, when you kick it into gear on the highway, you are up at 80-plus in moments...my 3-yr lease, 10k/year, with 7 multiple but refundable secuirty deposits came in at 645/month, the car listed for 51175...i picked up the GE best tire protection at a discount of 695 for 3-yrs, so if the tires wear badly &/or rims are damaged, all taken care of...if they do NOT offer Conti's, I would make them put them on the car!!! Also, you can get the Conti repair kit ofr $69 bucks, which will inflate & seal the rft,and you can drive another 100-200 miles...
  • enforcerenforcer Member Posts: 40
    Like everyone else we had the usual cupping and wear issues but we didn't discover them until one tire was randomly punctured. Fortunately we had only 19,400 so BMW agreed to abide by the TSB and replaced 2 for free. We replaced the other 2 at a local tire dealer where the price was much better (<$200). We insisted on Conti SSRs. So far so good (though we had another puncture after 5k :( )

My advice to anyone who still has OEM Potenzas from the 2006 era - replace with Contis, hopefully under the TSB, you'll be glad you did.

What really cheeses me about these tires is the lack of a spare. Most dealers do not carry them in stock so if you blow a tire on a rural interstate you may be able to limp to the next town but you'll be stuck until you can get one delivered. Fortunately our dealer let us keep one of the defective OEMs to use as a spare, but we don't plan to travel with it in the trunk.

Would definitely like a link to that Conti repair kit which would be quite useful, given the lack of a spare...
  • kodakkodak Member Posts: 1
    I just had all my tires( Turanza) replaced ( 2006 325xi) with less than 10k as per the TSB.
    I actually read it here on this blog and went to the dealer with my complaint and he had them all changed to the Conti SSR only because they were out of stock from the Turanza's( Sheesh was I lucky ). :)

So I thank the member who posted the TSB for this info
  • lovinit1lovinit1 Member Posts: 7
    Do you have the 17 or 18' rims on your xi? What tire did you go with?-doing research to do the same.
    Where would you put a spare?? Thats my prob if I switch to GFT
  • suttreesuttree Member Posts: 10
    To new and confused buyers: On my previous 3 series coupe I replaced with GFT Michelin Pilots, which was a "hot" tire according to tirerack at the time, replacing the Bridgestones. Especially after reading the boards. My 2008 coupe came with Contiprocontact, and neither my brother who has also bought into all this hysteria around RFT and replaced his tires on his 330 with high end Michelins, not I see any major difference, including handling. BTW there was a rumor that these conti tires are unavailable. Not true. Look them up at Tirerack. They're also a bargain. And check the driver rating on Tirerack. It's quite good, with a large sampling. There's a lot of hysteria about RFTs on the boards.. I drive the car hard, and as for some of the crap here of demonic RFT possession (tires taking control of themselves, going out of lane on their own, etc) frankly, this is a lot of [non-permissible content removed]. If you want to get max performance suitable for warmer climates get an RFT summer high performance tire. Tire rack has a number of them them now, including Pirelli, Conti, Goodyear, etc, etc.
    Still no luck...
    I'm trying to replace my performance tires on my 18' rims that came with the SP. I''ve been doing a lot of research to find a good-to high performance all seasson tire to put on but have yet to find anything. As I live in Ohio I cannot keep these tires on the car. I would like to replace the tires with another set of 4 RFT's.

The sizes are 225/40 18 front, and 255/35 18 rear. Searching through Tirerack has been little help. I have only found the Goodyear Eagle F1 Ultra High Prfrmnc all season. It says it has reinforced sidewalls but I take it that it is not a RFT? I am not sure if I want to switch to GFT because of not being able to carry a spare with me? Your help would be really appreciated!
    Thanks again hope someone can shed some light on my serious concern.
  • tiff_ctiff_c Member Posts: 531
    The sizes are 225/40 18 front, and 255/35 18 rear. Searching through Tirerack has been little help. I have only found the Goodyear Eagle F1 Ultra High Prfrmnc all season. It says it has reinforced sidewalls but I take it that it is not a RFT? I am not sure if I want to switch to GFT because of not being able to carry a spare with me? Your help would be really appreciated!

When you look up tires look them up by Tires then type in the Size, then you have to check a bunch of boxes. check the box that says RFT's only.
    I came up with 3 tires for your front tires size.
    I suggest GFT's and a can of fix a flat if you don't want to lug a spare tire in the trunk.
    If you use falt fix in a can it will void any of the tire mfg's warranties for that tire. Flat fix softens the rubber on the inside of the tire and can cause blow-outs.
    Can't say that I've ever heard that before. Could you please provide links that indicate this?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • enforcerenforcer Member Posts: 40
    I'm not sure that makes sense. because there aren't any dealers in this area that will fix a runflat. Once it is punctured, you are done, no repairs. Your only option is to buy a new tire.

So if you have a puncture warranty for an RFT, they have to replace the tire.

Of course, you can still use flat fix yourself, but then you are risking a real blowout.