Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac Escalade

Comments

• mikemc1mikemc1 Member Posts: 10
    I am looking at leasing(smartbuy) a 2004 Escalade AWD for 36 months.
    I would like to hear from current owners on any problems I should watch out for.
    What are the maintenance costs?
    By the way, I will be paying $775 month for a fully loaded slade with select edition,DVD rear enter. system and white diamond paint.
    Please email me your comments and suggestions.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Better to post your comments here so everyone can benefit...

Steve, Host
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    I'm still looking but if anyone else is looking, the Esalade has a 4 yr. 50,000 mile warranty vs. the 36 month 36,000 mile warranty on the Chevrolet Suburban/Yukon XL.

Keep in mind the Escalade has the second row heated seats and a third row with leather. The Chevy and GMC have vinyl on the third row.

Also, the Cadillac has the 6.0 345 hp V8 available for extra power.

M.
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • theo2709theo2709 Member Posts: 476
    Deletions

Exterior color 98U (WA-800J) White Diamond
      (LM7) Engine, 295 hp

New Features

Exterior color 26U (WA-214M) Rip Tide Blue
      Exterior color 93U (WA961L) White Lightning

Changes

(LQ9) Engine, 345 hp V8 standard on 2WD model
      Redesigned, highly-detailed instrument panel gauges with chrome bezels
      Walnut Burl wood trim replaces Zebrano wood trim
      Touch screen capability now included with (UM8) Navigation system
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Still a Chevy truck dash? No upgraded stereo yet?
    Nvbanker, the Escalade looks really nice on the inside. Nothing like the Chevy----- meaning--wood dash---wood steering wheel---Bvlgari clock.

Looks nice to me.

Mark156
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
    It's nice, Mark, I don't hate it. Just wish they would do a unique Cadillac looking design for the truck. OTOH, maybe I don't, if they don't do better than the SRX/CTS dash, which I think is miserable for a Cadillac. Just my opinion.
  • cobragmikecobragmike Member Posts: 21
    I was considering the new Nissan Armada (bit too much road noise, questionable interior quality and not a big fan of the front end styling, nice drivetrain, powerful engine and 5 speed tranny). I've owned Expeditions before and like the looks and handling of the new 03+, but want more power from the 5.4L. I think there will be some good competition from Infinity QX56 and maybe the new Durango w/Hemi. I have been mostly a Ford guy, (98 Mustang cobra, 3 F150's currently 02 King Ranch supercrew 4x4, 2 Taurus's for sales work, and a 99 EB Expy) Currently, own the KR F150, and an 02 Lincoln LS w/V8. All have been very good, reliable vehicles. But, when shopping for a new SUV, I needed 3 row seating, AWD, Trailer towing (for boat), power, and luxury good looks. After all the searching/test driving, I pulled the trigger on a pre-owned 2002 Escalade AWD w/moonroof, Green Envy on the outside.

This is my first Cadillac, and is the only vehicle I see that justifies the price with luxury and performance. Load leveling and road sensing suspension, Stability control, back up sensors, tunable and powerful engine and transmission. Everyone thinks it is a beautiful SUV. (could not resist adding 20" wheels with 285/50R20 Eagle GTII's). Granted, it may not have the fit and finish of an Audi/VW, or the smooth drivetrain of a Lexus. But, being GM based it is infinitly tuneable from the aftermarket. Interior, exterior, suspension, brakes, superchargers, intakes, exhaust's, all come in so many flavors, it is easy to make improvments as the mileage and maintenace require.

Side note: I have been seeing about 15 mpg city, 15.5 mpg combined and 17mpg highway.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    So are you hitting the road courses with it? I love how people hot-rod up their TRUCKS, yet drive them on 55-70mph roads... Go figure.

-mike

PS: The "Hemi" is only a marketing term, most engines other than pushrods are "hemispherical heads"
    You are correct about trying to convert an SUV into a autocross-racer, being a waste of time. I'm talking about, modifying to meet your needs. More power and stonger suspensions for towing. More power better controlled suspension and brakes to handle larger loads, people and equipment. And, if nothing else, better street performance. All are part of the driving satisfaction equation, at least for me. When you have an aerodnamic brick on wheels, cruising at 80 mph, with heavy crosswinds, any improvement to vehicle performance is a plus. Just my $.02
    I see, you do know that no matter what you do to the brakes, motor or suspension, you can't increase the GVWR rating on it? It's a common misconception that putting more power or bigger springs or bigger brakes will increase the towing capacity. IIRC the chassis itself (wheelbase, axle ratings) is what dictates the GVWR. (and I wasn't attacking you personally, just making a generalization about people who soup-up SUVs then do 60mph on the highway with em)

-mike
    Yes, it may be a marketing term, but it also represents a history of performance V8 engines. I someone mentions a Hemi in reference to a modern day truck or SUV, it is understood to be the 5.7L V8 with HEMI written all over it, and the vehicle. 330-345HP and 360-380 Ft-lbs is nothing to sneeze at.

I'm not knocking the Trooper with my comments. I used to have a 99 loaded with everything except sun roof. It is a very capable machine on and off road. Modest V6 with low geared differential (4.3) if memory is correct, and tranny performance button engaged, helped it get around just fine. Hated the suspension, great for off-road but very tippy on the highway,and around town. My solution, replaced all the shocks with Edalbrock IAS, and installed larger sway bars w/polyeurothane bushings. Also, switched out the torshon bars for stonger ones. Road much better. Not much to do with performance, except K&N filter. Great buy used, I got killed when I traded it in.
    GVWR is not a problem. Physics can be. Luckily for me, my vehicles are up to the task for hauling and towing, even when stock. That dosn't mean I can't find ways to improve ride and performance characteristics. In other words, I'm not trying to tow a 27' boat with a Honda CRV. You get the picture : )
    You are probably not the ones that that is pointed at. Heck, I'm probably going to be going with a Duramax 2500HD as my next truck, since I like the Isuzu duribility and need the milage associated with a diesel for my towing milage (10K+ a year towing 5000lbs)

-mike

PS: I did similar upgrades on my trooper as well bushings, lift, tires, t-bars etc. Mostly for offroading.
    Nvbanker, I looked at the SRX SUV and was surprised at how cheap the dash looked. The third seat is nice but the interior looks like a "lower" end car.

The Escalade ESV is a nice SUV. I like the look of the extended chassis. If I spring for a larger SUV, the Escalade is what I would want after looking at what is offered for all manufactures.

Mark
    The only other SUV that attracts me is the LX -470, which looks marginally better inside than the Escalade, IMO, but can't match the outside. Feels good though. The Navigator got my business because of the folding rear seat and IRS. But the Caddy is second on my list. Lexus is third. I looked at the Rover, but it's really for off road, IMO. And way too small.
    mmm LX470

Yum Yum!

-mike
    Nice, huh?
    IMHO the LX470 is one of the best off-road vehicles as well as one of the most reliable SUVs on the world market. I have lots of friends in 3rd world countries where "highways" are unpaved, etc. and they all swear by the Toyota Land Cruiser (LX470). Fit and finish is top notch and stays that way for 10+ years and 200K miles...

-mike
    I'm sure it will. I love how it feels - just not quite large enough for my needs, and I'm not crazy about the looks.
    If it were longer, it wouldn't be as good off-road (wheelbase is already stretching the limits). For looks, I'm more into the nity grity of the vehicle, me personally I don't care how a vehicle looks, so long as it's functional. :)

-mike
    Oh, man. You shouldn't SAY things like that to me! Makes me want to say something like, "then you're in the right car, man"!, which would be unkind, so I won't say that.

I demand more, I need the function, but I also like to admire my steed, so I need it to please me when I look at it too. Fortunately, there is plenty to choose from these days. Not like in 96, when I first needed an SUV, and I had the choices of smaller Explorer sized units, or something like a Bronco. With even leather seats, hard to come by.
    Well that's why is specified that me personally, I know others are more into the looks than I am. :)

-mike
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    of "why are you paying about 50K for an SUV, while attractive as it it, without any side curtain airbags"...id love to see anyone's response to this!
    Not everyone likes airbags. I personally dislike them as they cause more damage than good in all but a handful of accidents. If you are properly wearing your 3-point belts, you will fair well in a crash. Airbags are IMHO for the lazy folks who can't put on their belts.

-mike
    Side curtain airbags are for rollovers in large SUVs. But, you might note, rctennis.....the Navigator has them, which is what I bought.

And I disagree with Mike about the "more damage than good" thing. They can hurt you, steel, glass & concrete can kill you. You decide, is how I look at it. Give me bags......
  • mbukukanyaumbukukanyau Member Posts: 200
    Is the only thing I do not like. Its too chevy Tahoe with wood.

I do not see why they just cant call it Chevy deluxe instead of Cadillac.

Look Here

imageimage
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    Reminds me of the old Expedition/Navigator Interiors (they were identical as well).. but Lincoln wised up and distanced the Lux Gator with a much nicer interior for 03. I hope Cadillac does the same as well soon.
  • theo2709theo2709 Member Posts: 476
    The next Escalade may move up to be more of a Range Rover competitor, meaning it will have a (much) more luxurious interior, and possibly V12 and/or V10 offerings.
    Well, anything inside would be nice, but I haven't noticed the interiors on the Cadillacs being their best feature lately. The CTS & SRX look great - until you sit down inside. Then Saturn comes to my mind.

If they could even bother to make a different steering wheel for the Escalade, it would help a lot.
    looking at that photo comparison made me laugh. Why? Because it shows how cheesy Escalade's interiors are. Seriously, why pay 50K for a Tahoe/Suburban with wood trim and metallic clusters!?! Just buy the base LS Tahoe, and add aftermarket wood for about 500 bucks. DONE DEAL! Lincoln Navigator seems worth it though, especially for an interior that nice!!!
    which is why I have the Navigator. BUT, you don't just get plood on your wheel & dash, you also get a monster engine (6.0L, I think, I've had tee many martunies to be sure at this point) that you don't get in the Tahoe,Yukon,Suburban.

Although I prefer the design and features of the Navigator, I'm thinking the Escalade may be made a little more solidly. The Navigator drives great, but seems to have a few more rattles & squeaks than I'm used to from a Lincoln.
    Guys, the Cadillac/Chevy dashes look fine....It's a truck! The Caddy has a longer warranty, larger engine and different suspension than the Chevy. The Cadillac has full leather on all three rows and heated second row seats standard; the Chevy/GMC do not. It's not exactly comparing apples to apples when talking MSRP.

Although I like the Lincoln Nav, that big plastic door that covers the center dash is not that "up scale" looking. And moving the window switches to the center console was a mistake in my opinion. I have them on both of my Mercedes and would rather have them on the driver's door. Some Mercedes models have changed the window swithces to the door.

Just my .02. Mark
    yea its a truck, but its a luxury SUV!!!! its not made for hauling plywood...its made for people wanting a nice, luxurious car but don't want the added security of being higher off the ground, V8 power, and AWD/4WD. Cadillac should've used their new design from the SRX and CTS.
    IMO, the SRX, CTS interiors are nothing to brag about.
    Nvbanker, I agree totally. My neighbor bought a 2002 CTS after having trading a 1994 Seville. It's a nice car (had to program the dash computer for her) but the dash is average looking to me.

The dash on the Escalade is nice and decent looking and I have two Mercedes to compare it to! For a large truck, everything is placed where it should be and is easy to get to. That's what I like about it. The adjustable pedals are nice too.

For me, luxury or not, I'll carry whatever I want in the back whether it be plywood or a piece of furniture, bicycle or any other item. Yes, I like a nice SUV but I want it for it the utility too.

My ML500 is a 2002 and I think I'll keep it another year then trade it. The Escalade is at the top of my list for a larger SUV because I like the rear bumper sensors that the GMC Yukon XL doesn't have. I know that the Navigator has them but I want the extended chassis on whatever I get. I think Lincoln will offer a longer vehicle and will consider it once it arrives.

M.
    I, too, agree that the SRX/CTS interior is underwhelming. Too much plastic on the dash!! The SRX should've copied the interior of maybe the Toureg, FX, XC90, or Aviator. All those seem much nicer. The CTS should've been more like the G35, which is the best sports sedan out there (unless you say the 3-series which is way too pricey and not worth it). All that real wood isn't enough to take my eyes away from the black dash. Even with the beige "neutral" interior, the dash is still black!! Talk about cost-cutting! The dash in the Escalade is even worse. LOL Maybe Cadillac is reading this right now and thinking "boy, he must be right..."
    Interior in my luxo cars. With silver brushed alumin. accents.

-mike
    I'm not monitoring this board to knock the Slade, but rather to watch what is being said about it, in the event I want to get one next time. I've not driven one, but I have driven the Yukon, and certainly, it's competent, comfy & well built. I'm hoping GM picks up some features that the Navigator has, or even some it doesn't have besides just the big engine to make the Slade competitive. First on the list, would be a WOW interior design. But frankly, I like the one it has better than what I see going into the SRX.
  • nferrnferr Member Posts: 32
    We drove a loaded up Tahoe and an Escalade back to back. Went straight from the Chevy dealer to the Caddy dealer. There's quite a bit of distance between the two. Yes you can tell they're obviously from the same basic design but the Caddy is smoother and faster. The steering is quite a bit lighter and the Escalade is quieter too. It just has a more luxury car feel to it.

The interior, while similar in dash shape and the gauges, is also much more luxurious overall. The leather seats and door panels are nicer, there's zebrano wood trim and lots of little touches that really dress it up over the Tahoe. Almost everything is standard on the Escalade. You have to drive and see them back to back to really note how different they are.

Of course exterior style is a matter of taste but the Escalade seems to be the popular hot looking SUV right now.
    Denali/Excalade comparo?

-mike
    I drove an 04 last week. It was the 2wd with the small motor, and it drove just like I thought it would, like the Tahoe. Not that it's bad, but the Navigator is a lot more refined, IMO. Depends on how you like them to drive I guess.

The Escalade is a beauty on the outside to be sure, and is definitely preferred by the music video crowd, at least. As well as many others. But if everybody preferred it, we wouldn't have an Infiniti QX56, or a Lexus LX 470 would we?
  • nferrnferr Member Posts: 32
    Absolutely. Everyone has different tastes. I'm somewhat surprised you didn't feel any difference driving an Escalade and a Tahoe. The ride is smoother in the Caddy due to probably softer springs and the road sensing suspension which adjusts the shocks electronically. And the steering is much lighter. More noise isolation too. Since you drove the 2WD version there's no difference in the engine but the AWD model of course has more power than the Tahoe. And you get the stabilitrack in the Caddy. To be truthful I prefer certain things in the Tahoe, mainly the tighter steering and the low gear for the 4WD. But the Caddy is a lot more luxurious.

Paisan, I didn't drive the Denali. We did drive an Envoy and didn't particularly like it, but I didn't even see any Denali's around. My wife pretty much had her heart set on the Escalade because of the looks and to be honest if you're spending this much money you do want the Caddy crest rather than the GMC one. Or at least we did.

Same basic reason people pay a lot more for the Lexus over the Land Cruiser or the Infiniti over the Armada. None of these luxury SUV's are a necessary purchase when you look at it rationally.
    was just curious how close the denali was to escalade. I personally won't be getting a full-size SUV til the GMs come in Diesel since I use it for towing about 10k miles a year and milage towing 10K miles a year is an issue.

-mike
    NOW we're talking!! I think if ANYBODY put a diesel in their big SUV (Excursion and Suburban excluded, too big), they could sell a whole raft of 'em.
    That's what I'd like to buy or a Yukon size but no Diesels :( I'm considering the Liberty since it will have a CRD next year.

-mike
    I'm still considering the Escalade on my next SUV purchase and no one has written in this section in a while.

I would hope to think the Cadillac Escalade is completely trouble free since no one is complaining!

I tried to look on the GM site to see when the next restyle was coming but haven't been able to find any good information. I think maybe the next change will come in 2007, am I right?

Mark
    Probably more like nobody cares. Whenever it is, I hope they put a Cadillac interior in it finally, instead of a Silverado with more plood.
    Jim (nvbanker), I actually like the interior of the Cadillac. I'm sure the next generation Escalade will make improvements like the Navigator did as it went from one model year to the next. Talk about plastic, that big door on the dash is waiting to be broken.

What has attracted me to the Cadillac vs. the Navigator is the longer version ESV. I like the looks of the GMC YukonXL Denali better but I like the rear bumper sensors, the larger engine, full leather on all three rows that the Cadillac offers, and let's not forget, the Bvlgari clock! LOL.

Mark
    I LOVE the outside of the Escalade, just not impressed with the Silverado interior.