Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series Run Flat Tires

Comments

• jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    Hi OW, do yourself do tire balancing as well?

Regards,
    Jose
    (7500 miles on 2008 RFT BS Potenza without nuisances; I am also satisfied with their overall performance)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hey there. I knew you looked familiar! :)

What you need to do is email Karen and ask her to fix it for you, karen AT edmunds.com. She'll let you know what she can do.

Welcome back.
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Hi Jose,

I do not balance the tires as I do not own a dynamic balance machine!

Thanks for the feedback on your Bridgestone RFT experience.

Regards,
  • xeyexeye Member Posts: 168
    Hi OW,

Here's a hybrid "question" instead of the other kind of hybrid (0-60 before the next millenium - by the way, how DO you turbocharge an electric car??? 220 volts? Cattle prod up the tailpipe? What do you do when there's NO tailpipe?!).

It's hybrid because it bridges 2 or more forums. My dealer is offering a 2008 328xi w/Dakota leather (LC), Power Seats (459), Heated Seats (494) and iPod (6FL). Invoice is $36,200, MSRP is $39,320. He is asking $37,870. I think this is too much and I'm thinking $37K flat is reasonable. If I ask for the Bridgestone RFs to be replaced with the ContiProContacts as I have on my 335xi, and assuming he goes for it, what do you think it's worth?

By the way, did this show up as xeye? If it did, I'M BAA_ACK!!!!

xeye
  • suttreesuttree Member Posts: 10
    Do you guys not read the boards before you buy a $40,0000 car? Did you buy the car knowing there was a problem? I have a 328i coupe and it has the Continental tires, WHICH ARE FINE. Nearly every board out there on nearly every car out there claims the OEM tires are a disaster.There is a guy on the BMW boards whose only mission in life are BMW's tires and how horrible they are. Don't buy the f-ing car if the S-man says to get different tires and you want to believe some tire geek! Get a life! :cry:
    Yes, you are BACK, xeye! I think it's worth $37K flat with the Conti's. You are not getting anything extra so you should not pay extra. I'll bet they are getting the BS for a discount because 90% of the new cars on the BMW lots have BS on them. They are going to be quite rigid not changing to Conti. I would take the BS and $37K and call it a day...you can always put Conti's on if you are not happy with the tires. Then you can pay that extra money.

Regards,
    OW
  • florida911florida911 Member Posts: 4
    I need help asap. I have a 2006 325i with the bridgestone RFs. I need to replace immediately, but don't know what to get. Can someone help?
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    You might try reading back a few hundred posts in this board. Many of the regulars posting here aren't too keen on rehashing stuff.

Buy real tires, also known as get-flat tires (GFT). Real tires are : 1) cheaper, 2) quieter, 3) longer-lasting & 4) conducive to better handling (lower unsprung weight mostly), plus which there are lots of choices. Carry either a spare (yeah, I know, there's really no convenient place for it, plus you need the jack & lug wrench) or a can of inflating goo.

Enjoy.

Those of us who need to drive hundreds of miles across relatively uninhabited territory (NV or eastern OR) would be stuck for days if we depended on RFT no-repair, replace-only policies, since no one in the hinterlands stocks these things. This is the primary reason I'm not driving a BMW 3-series today. I bought a new car back in March, and for several years I was nearly certain it was going to be one of two BMW choices. Well, it wasn't, and it won't be in the future either if this s (let's say stuff) keeps up.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • lokkilokki Member Posts: 1,200
    Do you guys not read the boards before you buy a $40,0000 car? Did you buy the car knowing there was a problem?

Sutee - Cause it ain't no big deal.

I can afford a $40,000 car, and I can afford different tires. It's not a big deal financially. The only question I asked is if I need to buy rims to go with the tires - which I can also afford.

Perhaps your situation is different; otherwise I can't see any point to your post.
  • wholiwholi Member Posts: 6
    I have the same car and HAD the Bridgestone's too.
    I went to the Michelin Primacy MXV4 and have been very happy with them (got them in April).

Others on the board recommened them to me in the spring so I'm not the only one with these.

Enjoy!
    Wholi

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTireDetail.do?rc=CAOINT&yr=2006&cf=false&c=- 2&sw=false&pc=34560&tc=MMIHH2&rf=true&rcz=90045&cs=205&dVeh=dVeh&rd=16&vid=00927- 9&ar=55
    Thanks! I'm a big Michelin fan.... so this is excellent news.

Lokki
  • webdriverwebdriver Member Posts: 3
    As noted from the First Drive: 2009 BMW 3 Series Inside Line article posted today, Aug. 29, 2008:
    It's not all bouquets, though. Despite adopting new fourth-generation run-flat tires (Bridgestone) with an altered sidewall design aimed at providing greater compliance, the 3 Series continues to suffer from an overly firm ride. At highway speeds it is reasonably comfortable, but at lower speeds around town it can become quite harsh when attempting to deal with broken sections of asphalt.
  • rhmassrhmass Member Posts: 263
    Based on an article on the Roundel on the X6 two issues ago, the tester said the X6 was equipped with a spare despite its RFT on all four corners. Does this indicate the possibility of the come back for regular tires in the future? The writer didn't mention the type of the spare. At least BMW must have realized finally the inconvenience the RFT may pose to many drivers, not to mention the cost

One can only hope.
  • larry175larry175 Member Posts: 68
    I just ordered a 2009 335xi coupe and I hope it will come in with regular tires and a spare.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,789
    Your hopes are likely to be dashed...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Your chances of getting GFTs on your new car exist somewhere between slim and none. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Best regards,
    Shipo
    having real tires, you're going to be driving something other than a BMW.
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    I have driven BMW's exclusively since 1993: two 3 Series and a 545i.

I wanted to lease another 3 Series, but wouldn't settle for run-flats. I decided on a VW GTI, but couldn't find one optioned the way I wanted it quick enough with the 545i lease running out... so I bought a VW Rabbit that was. The car handles around 80% of a 3 Series and is fun to drive.

If BMW still uses run-flats in 2-3 years, I will be trading for a GTI. There are other choices, if status is not important.

Of course, if BMW takes to heart the overwhelmingly negative feedback concerning the run-flats, I will return to my beloved 3 Series.
    Little hope BMW will break its alliance with Bridgestone in the near future, I'm afraid. At least over here they have started together a TV ad campaign on the advantages of RFTs.

Regards,
    Jose
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    "advantages of RFTs". :surprise:

Must be a very short TV ad. ;)
  • ames59ames59 Member Posts: 4
    I have a new 328i and am not a big fan of the RFT's (Guess no one's heard that one before...) I didn't mind them much until I went on a longer road trip. Not the end of the world if I keep them, but I'd be interested in replacing them with regular tires. Will the rims be damaged with regular tires? Do I also need to replace the rims (as BMW claims, at the cost of $4000!) Maybe they're not BS'ing me, but I wanted to find out if anybody here has replaced their RFTs and been fine without springing for a new set of rims.
    Thanks...
    Short answer: no, your rims will accept conventional GFTs with no problem.

Long answer: scroll back a couple of hundred posts and read. This issue has been discussed since the very start of this thread back in 2005. There's lots of meat to sink your teeth into around here. ;)

Best regards,
    Shipo

P.S.
    If you want to mess with your dealer a bit, ask them to put it in writing that GFTs will damage your rims, and then ask them to describe why damage will occur. :shades:
    HI,

I read that you replaced your RFT's with a regular tire a while ago. I'm thinking of doing the same with my new 328i. I'm concerned that I'll also have to replace the rims, as I've heard that they can get damaged when switching to regular tires. If you would post how it went with your tires, I'd appreciate it! The tires (and the stupid cupholders) are my only complaints about my car, so far.
    Thanks so much for the quick reply. :shades:
    Cheers,
    Ames59
    just change the tires. you don't need new rims as the dealer claims. the dealer only wants your $'s. I have an 09 335xi coupe on order and if the tires rot i will change over to regular tires right away.
    Does any one know where I can order a donut spare and jack kit for my on order 09 335xi? 17x8
    thanx and ciao for now
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Is there a fan of RFTs around here? C'mon out, we won't hurt you ;)
    Go over to the PAX discussion steve_, "Run-flat, self-sealing, PAX tires for Minivans" #1, 29 Nov 2004 8:27 pm and poke around there. Granted it's a very different crowd, however, I've run into quite a number of folks who are staunch supporters of the Michelin PAX setup. :P

As far as the BMW camp goes, I rather doubt that there is a single informed individual that would prefer four RFTs and no spare versus five GFTs (or even four GFTs and a space-saver spare). That said, like you said, if there is someone out there who likes BMW's current direction on tires, we'd love to hear from you. ;)

Best regards,
    Shipo
    PAX is being retired, right? (no pun intended).
    He-he. Yup, although said retirement will probably take a number of years to accomplish. Michelin has announced that they are no longer going to develop new PAX products, however, PAX tires are still being produced; in fact, Honda is still offering the PAX system on new Odysseys. What's odd is that in spite of the fact that PAX is now a lame duck system, Honda is steadfastly refusing to help folks who bought vans with the PAX system convert their cars (Acura RL) and vans back to a conventional wheel/tire setup. Annoying.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • steveo90290steveo90290 Member Posts: 3
    Hi there! I'm new to edmunds and this is my first post here.

My wife and I live in a mountain community in the Los Angeles area, both drive BMWs.

My wife's 2007 328ix wagon w/sport package 225/45/17 conti RFTs

No major issues with handling, or noise. I noticed that the shoulders on the front tires were wearing more.

When we took the car in for 15k service, and asked them to rotate, and align. BMW service rep stated that BMW does not recommend tire rotation? I suppose with many BMWs having staggered fitments that is their S.O.P.

She recently had a low tire pressure warning. Upon inspecting the tires I found one low. I plan on taking to my tire shop to see if it has a puncture. The tire was only low, never zero PSI, hopefully it can be repaired if needed.

I'll update after I have the tire checked out.

Overall I'm glad we got one with Conti's after reading all of these issues.

My BMW dealer tries to pimp nitrogen to all of their customers, unsuccessfully to me. I'm curious if that has anything to do with the Bridgestone RFT blister problems.

SteveO
  • lehrer1lehrer1 Member Posts: 54
    I have 06 325, never had a flat (jet). But long drives make me nervous.
    To me solution for RFT is full size rim with RFT in the trunk.
    Is there in the market a chip rim (aftermarket) that is interchangeable with a regular BMW rim?
    Lehrer
    Hi Shipo. Hope you and yours are well. As you know, I am not a proponent for RFT's but the Continentals gave me good service and virtually no noise as well as extremely even and long lasting wear. Of course, that includes tire rotations that you recommended way back.

Regards,
    OW
    BMW - as a company- has been indifferent to tire rotation for at least a decade now.

They say, probably correctly, that the rotation costs enough to offset any money you'd save by rotating the tires.

The dealers are a different matter. They want the money from rotating your tires, so they sing a different song.

My experience is tha the rears wore faster on my E36 and E46, but not enough to get excited about. I just replace all 4 at the same time anyhow. I might get some thousands of miles more out of the fronts, but not enough to offset the costs of rotation.

My 2008 3 Series (E90) doesn't have enough miles yet for me to be sure, but I'd speculate that the trend wear pattern will be the same.

Now, if the rotation was FREE, (say as when purchasing replacements) - then I'd do it.
    I'm so/so about RFTs. Not the best tires I have ride on, but far from being upset by them either. However, having put only 7,500 miles on my 2008 BS Potenza, I cannot say how happy I will be when time goes by. No possible rotation in my car (335d). On the positive side, I consider RFT could prevent bad consequences if a blowout happened.

Regards,
    Jose
    Okay, that's a pretty fair assessment, thanks. Keep us posted as you put more time on those tires.

VISITING HOST
  • steveo90290steveo90290 Member Posts: 3
    What tires came on your '08 3 series? It seem like the majority of ultra poor RFTs I have read about are Bridgestones. It seems many people are walking away from a great car do to all the talk about RFTs.

GFTs have many of the same problems as RFTs. I rarely got more than 12-15k out of my performance tires. Any tire that has stiff side walls, or a solid center tread, will tramline. I replace performance GFTs upon damage, as I feel they won't be reliable at speed.

Now BMW not owning up to OEM faulty tire(s) is bad. It sounds like many have had them replaced by BMW, if the problem was brought to their attention in a reasonable amount of time.
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,271
    I have an 08 528xi and just replaced my rims with the style 189 from the 3 series (which look just like the style 246 sport pkg rims for the 528xi - except that the offsets are a few millimeters more aggressive). I have regular toyo (non run flat tires) on them with no problems. Just change the tires. If you don't have a bmw mobility kit (includes tire sealant that is not supposed to gunk up the tire pressure sensors and also has an air pump) or you could get a donut tire in case of a flat. My car didn't have run flats so I have a spare in the trunk.

Hope this helps,
    Mark
    It's free for me...I do it myself in 20 minutes.

Regards,
    OW
  • bmwtxgalbmwtxgal Member Posts: 11
    I just picked up my '08 328i sedan two weeks ago. It was brought in from another city so I didn't know what would be on it. I was surprised to find it had Continentals. The dealership had Bridgestones on most of their 328i's in stock so I thought I would have those. I was relieved. :)

From the posts on this board and my experience, the Bridgestones are the culprit. Continentals are generally good in comparison. I had two sets of BS's on my 2006 325i and they were awful. Had noise at about 10,000 miles. The dealership did replace the first set at their cost, which didn't take much persuasion. I think they were tired of the complaints. But...they were replaced with another set of BS's. Same problem with those. If you want to stick with run-flats, try to get the Continentals if possible.
  • xeyexeye Member Posts: 168
    Hi,

My wife's '08 328xi (2 weeks old) came with the BS R/F tires while my '07 335xi came with the ContiProContacts (12,000 miles). Ironically, the BS tires seem to be quieter (for now) than the Conti's were even new. Neither is annoying, but I could always detect more low-speed rumble from the Conti's. From all appeararances, I expect to put at least another 12,000 miles on the Conti's, and probably a lot more.

Time will tell, of course, but I am also hearing a lot fewer complaints from owners of '07 and '08s with the BS R/Fs, so hopefully the changes that Bridgestone made are helping. Although I had no issues driving out of fairly deep snow last winter, I have one more summer of tread wear and it also looks like the BSs have a better snow pattern. We'll see which ones perform better. I'll report back in March '09!

xeye
    thanx for the info. More people than me will also thank you.
    Thanks to all for answering my post the other day re: being able to replace RFT's with regulars on the same rims. My 328i is spankin' new, so replacing the tires is down the road a few miles, but I wanted to ask one more question... Will putting "non-standard equipment" on the car void the warranty? :sick: I only have 5K miles, so the warranty has a ways to go.

Thanks for any input!
    will NOT void your warranty. It's becoming pretty clear that BMW is using every possible tactic to scare people into using these heavy pieces of, well, whatever.

I'd be very interested in hearing how anyone could justify a case where using lighter tires on a car could cause some sort of warranty repair that wouldn't have been required otherwise.

There have been interesting letters to the editor in Roundel regarding unsprung weight & how the stupid RFT tires cause a 2X increase vs. the high-dollar brake caliper package that's in an advert.
    I believe that some times, depending on the dealer, you can get away with it. But personally I am intimadated. So I won't even put a K&N filter on the car.
    Also I ordered a 2009 335xi with everything except the pakge with the different sized front and rear tires. (pita changing to winter tires and back in spring) barbera red with black int/grey poplar trim, tip, prem, sport, cold weather, comfort access, sat. radio, hd radio, whatever that is, heated steering wheel, navigation, rear backup whatamacall it. and what ever else who remembers., Build is scheduled for end of Sept. I should get it by end of October. Yea, I know, even with rft"s.
  • mjbauermjbauer Member Posts: 19
    The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act protects consumers in areas like this. There are many areas where you can make changes and it is perfectly legal and will not void your warranty. It doesn't depend on the dealer at all.

While I do not have any complaints about he RFT's on my '08 335xi, I can understand that some do. I know the early versions of many of the RFT's were awful as far as road noise and wear.

I have not decided on whether I will buy RFT snow tires or standard snow tires. It really depends on whether or not I buy an additional set of wheels. I am leaning towards an extra set of wheels and tires. If i do that I will buy regular tires but i have not made up my mind yet. In part because it is a bit depressing to think about snow tires :-)
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    The sport package tires cannot be rotated since they have different sizes front and rear and may be directional.

I don't think they care to recommend rotations on the regular tires because it would mean more cost to them since they have free maintenance and the tire rotation schedule does not line up well with their extended service intervals.

To solve this issue, they simply don't specify tire rotations in the recommended maintenance and then exclude the tires from the car's warranty, So, if the tires wear unevenly or early, it is your problem and they get to say "all" recommended maintenance is covered for 4 year 50,000 miles, but no warranty on tires.

The tire manufacture has a warranty, but I bet if you had uneven wear at 15K or 20K miles, the tire manufacturer would tell you it's not covered under their wear guarantee because you "should have" rotated the tires to prevent the damage. So you are out of luck.
    I rotated MYSELF every 6K miles and the Contis wore perfectly. Just some feedback.

Regards,
    OW
    Funny thing, BMW recommended against tire rotations BEFORE the whole "Free Maintenance" thing came about.

Best regards,
    Shipo