Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series Run Flat Tires

Comments

• larry175larry175 Member Posts: 68
    my 09 335xi should be here Wed. or Thur. Just spoke to dealer. $699. for insurance for tires and rims. Tires up to $350. each and rims up to $700. each. They will probably charge $350 for the tire and $100. or so for the mounting and balancing and take a shot at a four wheel alignment,
    I think I will take the $700., put it in the bank and draw on it as needed.
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Excellent Choice. The conti RFT's for your car are $150 each.

Regards,
    OW
  • sammybmwsammybmw Member Posts: 19
    I just purchased a new 335I with the sport package so different size rfts. Life has now come to end! BMW has ruined our lives with these RFT's. Maybe they should have jet engined helicopters standing by to fly to those in critical need. Maybe they can assist a customizer to build those fiberglass wheel carriers extending out off the back bumper like they had on some old luxury cars like Lincoln's. Wouldn't that be cool. The difficult choices we have to make. :cry:
    did you just have a problem with your tires or did one blow?
  • suttreesuttree Member Posts: 10
    I hope not. While once a proponent of ethanol, it's pretty clear that using corn or other food for fuel raises prices on a world wide basis (see EU study, which was once a leader in ethanol use) leading to huge rise in corn prices, widespread rioting, etc. We have a serious "fuel security" problem, as in we get out oil from people that hate us, which inevitably leads to oil wars, but ethanol (at least using food crops as in N. America) causes "food security" issues world wide. Full disclosure: I'm a hypocrite with a 328xi coupe that gets less than stunning mileage.
  • wayne67wayne67 Member Posts: 5
    One tire developed a flat when it was less than 3 months old. The low pressure warning light has come on since then. RFT's are a scam, engineered to favor the manufacturer and take advantage of the consumer. I will never take ownership of any vehicle that has these again.
  • aviator01aviator01 Member Posts: 5
    :mad: is 20,000 miles the magic number?i just had a rear RFT Bridgestone fail by blowout at 20,000 miles,plenty of thread left on it.i am so upset by this,i would like to meet the morons who made the decision to put RFT on 3 series and also remove the space on the trunk for a spare.I cannot believe how stupid they are!
  • bemerbemer Member Posts: 20
    We need to pass messages like this to the government officials.
    One of the proponents of ethanol is governor of Minnesota - Tim Pawlenty.
    Let’s him know how we feel about this issue.
    [email protected]
  • cctdicctdi Member Posts: 82
    I had read so much good comments about Bimmer’s inline6 tt engine, as a car nut, I bought a 08 335xi to start with, indeed, the small sweet 3. L engine felt as good as my 07 S8 5.2 L V10 until the bumpy ride of the Conti-RFT tires shook me out of that car. The 535xi is a much better car to house the same engine, even with the cheap stock Eagle tires on the wheels. 5 months later, I still pick up the 5er key more often than the other cars.
  • lehrer1lehrer1 Member Posts: 54
    They are famous idiots from Bavaria.
    Lehrer
  • mcdonajmcdonaj Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 328xi with Bridgestone rft's. A simple nail puncture with virtually no other tire damage resulted in a $350 expense. The tire never had less than 25 psi and I did not travel more than 50 miles on the flat, so any damage to the side wall was not likely. Only 8,000 miles on the tire. Nevertheless the dealer would only replace the tire. So BMW's vaunted bumper to bumper no cost maintenance for 50,000 doesn't mean much to me. Sadly these tires have a real big down side in my opinion. Oh by the way, if the punctured tire had more than 60% ware, I would have been replacing the second tire on that axle as well.
  • rloyderloyde Member Posts: 4
    :mad:

it sucks getting screwed over!!! plain & simple. it is so obvious that no one at bmw researched the tire before accepting a deal with bridgestone.
  • rockyellirockyelli Member Posts: 2
    bmw do not suggest replacing tires with diffrent type. so what is it cost to replace flat run tires in canada?
  • dkg42dkg42 Member Posts: 11
    I have had three flats with these price of crap bridgestones
    The last one was a small nail dead center in the tire, I had my mechanic plug it
    It lasted about six months now it's loosing pressure slowly

I can't afford four new non runflats right now, I have no choice but
    So I wi buy another pieice of crap beudgestone

I'd like to shove these up the you know what of someone at Bmw

Love the car but hate the tires

Now BMW offers a non runflat option on the 135, anyone know
    What B.O.H.I.C.A stands for?

Bend over here it comes again
    It was a few hundred dollars. I spoke to a tire dealer here and was told that it's ok to use regular tires. There might be a problem with the low pressure warning light staying on. Haven't done this yet.
  • nkeennkeen Member Posts: 313
    This article's about switching tires on a 135i project car, but I think it might pertain to this discussion.

http://www.mwerks.com/artman2/publish/technical/Project_135i-_Part_2.shtml

While the switch to GFTs improved ride quality, note the comments about the handling of the stock performance RFTs.
  • rbd328rbd328 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 328i last year and car came with RFT. Rear tires are larger than front (part of the sport package.) I'm now considering switching the RFTs with conventional tires and just purchase a spare. Also, I'm considering replacing with same size tires all the way around. Has anybody done this and what experience can you share? Did you also void warranty by this approach.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Many folks have converted to GFTs and some have converted to the same size tire all of the way around (either year round or just for the winter months), and I've yet to see a single negative comment from them. That said, if you're going to be tracking your car, switching to a narrower set of rear tires may not be the best idea.

As for your warranty, some ignorant personnel at some dealers might suggest that you're warranty will be jeopardized if you make the switch, but that simply isn't true.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • vitous38vitous38 Member Posts: 1
    I WANT TO GET THE RFT OFF THE CAR , I NEED NEW TIRES ,CAN I PUT REG. TIRES LIKE ALL SEASONS .AND THOW A SPARE IN THE TRUNK PLEASE HELP. ANYBODY.
    Do it. I changed over to reg tires at 22000 miles. dealer never even noticed. Only sorrow was that up to 20000 miles i could have recieved some cash.
  • kirkrkirkr Member Posts: 17
    2006 325xi with 59K miles. At 19,000 miles I was able to get rid of the Bridgestone RFTs and thanks to BMW was able to get the Continental RFTs for half price. The ride improved quite a bit but was still harsh on rough roads. With about a third of the tread left (so I could put them back on at trade time), I just replaced the Conti's with Michelin Primacy MXV4 GFTs. Now it rides like a BMW is suppose to - firm over rough spots without the teeth jarring. I should have done this 40K ago. I did get a Conti Comfort Kit, even though I have only had three slow leak flat tires in over four decades. No more RFTs for me.

Regards
    Kirk
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,495
    "No more RFTs for me."

We'll add your name to the ledger.

In my case, the RFT situation was the straw that broke the camel's back in terms of purchasing my first BMW. There were a number of other factors as well.

So, they've lost me as a first customer & you as a return. Something tells me they don't care.

The fraction of people who possess a BMW that actually cares about how the car feels going over bumps around a tight corner under hard acceleration could all gather in a neighbourhood pub. Well, not really, but the BMW corporation has recently (say, over the past 10-15 years) aimed their wares squarely at those who want to possess the car rather than drive it.

It's obviously (so far) a winning approach. The people who built the marque, based on how the car performed, have generally been kicked to the curb, but it doesn't seem to matter.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    It's obviously (so far) a winning approach. The people who built the marque, based on how the car performed, have generally been kicked to the curb, but it doesn't seem to matter

Correct, because now Bridgestone is advertising it's RFT's using a 5er!!

Regards,
    OW
  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,849
    We'll add your name to the ledger.

You can add mine too. I was ready for a new car and didn't get a BMW this time.

A few reasons, but the RFT is the main one.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• xeyexeye Member Posts: 168
    For whatever it's worth, I have the ContiProContact RFTs on my '07 335xi while my wife has the Bridgestone EL42 RFTs on her '08 328xi. I have almost 15000 miles on mine and the tires look and ride like they did when they had just rolled off the dealer lot. They've always had a bit of a rumble under 10 mph when slowing down, but nothing annoying. My wife's Bridgestones ride like any other tire after ~5000 miles..

My car handled like a dream last winter and I expect the same this winter for both my ride and my wife's 328xi.

Neither of us flings our cars around as 1) we want them to last 2) we don't feel like financing the local police force and 3) there are just too damn many nutjobs behind the wheel in Boston Metro to take the risk.

Having said all this, I was adamant about getting the Conti's on my car. As it turned out, it was pure luck as I had little choice in the matter, according to my salesman.

Neither of us had had a flat and I don't worry about it in spite of frequent trips from Boston to Montreal via Interstate 89 in Vermont. Should it occur in one of the longer isolated stretches in inclement weather at night, you'll hear me cursing for miles. The alternative, however, of being reminded that I'm compromised every time I open the trunk and curse because the spare tire and jack don't leave enough room for groceries is, for me anyway, a less attractive alternative.

As an aside, I have the power foldaway mirrors on my car. The other day as I pulled out of the sardine-can parking spot at my office, I neglected to unfold the mirrors. 30 seconds later, I heard an electric motor noise I didn't expect. Lo and behold, the car automatically unfolded the mirrors!

I know the victims of the RFTs have very strong and valid opinions about the quality of the rubber and the mindset of the BMW engineers. However, when someone in the food chain at BMW thought about unfolding the mirrors to save my skin when I forgot (I know I'm not the only one who has experienced this), I'll just say thank you and pray I don't become one of the next victims.

For now, I'll own and drive my twin-turbocharged hot rod like it's supposed to be driven. Don't think for a second I won't pass your [non-permissible content removed] like it's standing still given the chance!

Safe driving!

xeye
    bridgestones on my 06 330xi were sooooo bad. But my new 09 335xi has bridgestones and they seem a bit different. Softer ride(less firm walls?) handling? not as good as 06 rft's but I only have driven it for 1000 miles. So who knows.
  • quattroporte12quattroporte12 Member Posts: 178
    Anyone on here know about tires?
    Ive got an 06 330i, lookin for some all seasons that handle the absolute best in dry weather (hopefully better than the TERRIBLE stock bridgestones that are on it now) and are decent in the winter. Dont really care about ride quality THAT much, but i dont want something really harsh. Care most about feel, want crisp steering response and sticky handling. Looking at:
    Yokohama ADVAN S.4.
    Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus
    Any help would be awesome i really need tires asap! Thanks!
  • rflrfl Member Posts: 100
    Read back a little of the history on this site and I think you'll find a major concurrance...replace the hateful Bridgstone's with Continental Conti Pro Contact RFT's (about $160 at tirerack.com) and you'll think you died and went to heaven.
  • mjbauermjbauer Member Posts: 19
    Well I have to concur, but also add a qualifier. I have an 08 335xi with Bridgestone EL42's all four are 225/45 17's. And they are great so far with about 12000 miles on them.

My initial concern stemmed from being a passenger in an 06 325 with the stock runflats. They were so noisy at low speeds in city driving I was very concerned about using them. I wound up test driving two 335xi's to double check the noise but they sounded like regular tires to me, no nosier than my wife's car and not as noisy as my M3 with Pilot Sports

That being said, I will likely opt for snow tires as here in Michigan where we live we get enough snow to make good snows a valuable option

I can understand completely the concern on the RFT's. I think that the early versions were terrible.

I do believe BMW (and other manufacturers) made the decision for several reasons. First is cost, eliminating a tire and a wheel saves money. Packaging, if you don't have to find the space for a tire and wheel you get a lot of space back. Another reason is us. We don't like to be inconvenienced at all so stopping and changing a tire is not something we like to do.

I suspect I drive a bit more aggressively than xeye but so far so good. I do not get the same level of handling as my M3 with the Michelin Pilot sports but I don't use that handling very often on the street very often in all honesty.

So far the RFT's have worked very well for me so this short note is just my $.02 worth (and likely less valuable than that :-)
  • quattroporte12quattroporte12 Member Posts: 178
    Theyre summer tires though. I need all-season i get snow occasionally where i live and i go skiing
    I just put Michelin Primacy MXV4's on my 2006 325xi. These were the tires recommended by Tire Rack based on their testing of four different all season tires.

Regards,
    Kirk
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,959
    So far the RFT's have worked very well for me so this short note is just my $.02 worth

I am new here but just wanted to add my thoughts.

They didn't explain that our (my wifes 335xi and my 328 Cabriolet) would have RFT until after we bought the cars and we were talked into insurance at $500 a car.

I would rather have had a choice, I would have gone with regular tires, but my car has about 10,000 miles and my wife's 12000 miles and I can't say I noticed a difference yet. But the next issue, which I didn't think of at the time was snow tires.

I called tire stores first, thinking BMW dealer is going to rip me off once again, but BMW price was actually better....and tire stores weren't that knowledgeable...in fact could be dangerous.

I asked one if I really needed rims and he said not really, it's easier and less expensive to change over each season. This is not true as BMW explained and I'll explain later. This dealer told me snow tires could be under $200 each ($150 U.S.) but then I asked him if they were RFT's. He said no, those would cost $500 each and about $200 for steel rims ($400 U.S. and $150 U.S.).

Then I checked BMW dealer. Special winter package. For $1700 ($1300 U.S.) they would put on 4 Blizzack RFT's, installed ($100) balanced etc., on steel rims, and with 4 covers to carry my other tires, and put 2 in the trunk and two on the back seat to take home. They said RFT's should really be on rims because removing a tire from the rim causes wear on the tire but especially with run flats because of the stronger sidewalls.

What I don't understand is why I can get 4 tires on rims installed etc. for a total of $1700 when the tires were supposed to be almost $500 each when they sold the insurance program, unless they have come down a lot.

By the way Blizzack are good, but Dunlop and Michelin have snow tires made out of similar compounds but they will last twice as long.

Hope that helps someone out there :)

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

I put yoko advans on. The ride was a little softer so handling suffered slightly. Noise=none. New bridgestones seem ok so far after 1000 miles.
    I thing either one will do the job.
  • davidlbdavidlb Member Posts: 2
    It has been the best part of a year since you posted your story. I was wondering how you fared with BMW Canada. I have not had much luck.

When I bought my 2006 325xi, I was concerned about not having a spare. This concern proved justified because I had two punctures in the first year. According to the tire shop, this is much more common with run flats. However, I did not anticipate either the harsh run flat ride or the noise problems which began to be really noticeable after 20,000 km. Two BMW dealers absolutely refused to replace them with Continental run flat's or anything else other than the Bridgestone's (with me paying for two). I got nowhere with BMW or Bridgestone.

As I was not willing to take my chances on a second set of Bridgestone's, I replaced them at my own expense with Michelin's and bought an extra (refurbished) rim to use as a spare. The car runs and rides a lot better but I am one of many BMW owners who feel very angry about the way BMW has handled the issue. Not only was my enjoyment of the car seriously compromised but I was expected to pay almost as much for two tires as I ultimately did for four. Instead of waiting until owners had major tire noise problems -- and even then stonewalling -- BMW should have dealt with this proactively. I can't imagine that whatever they saved will offset the loss of many customers in the future.

I am hoping (but not hopeful) that BMW may ultimately decide it is their interest to compensate affected owners. I have kept my four run flats just in case. You seemed to have some success with BMW and there may be many others interested in how your situation was finally resolved.
    Just replying to myself in case it might help;

Then I checked BMW dealer. Special winter package. For $1700 ($1300 U.S.) they would put on 4 Blizzack RFT's, installed ($100) balanced etc., on steel rims, and with 4 covers to carry my other tires, and put 2 in the trunk and two on the back seat to take home. They said RFT's should really be on rims because removing a tire from the rim causes wear on the tire but especially with run flats because of the stronger sidewalls

Snow tires are now on. What was really nice was the dealer has great looking wheel covers with BMW logo...actually looks better than alloy wheels. Cost was less than a tire store which had to hunt for rims. Tire totes are really cool too. First run on the highway was good too. Snow coming tomorrow....see how they do.

BMW Canada took no responsibility for the problem I had with a 3 month old tire. I've been checking around with dealers and, like you, am facing the prospect of having to buy 5 rims and tires. I was told that the run flats will be damaged when removing them from alloy rims. I feel totally cheated by BMW and am preparing to take this to the media.
  • davidlbdavidlb Member Posts: 2
    It takes major muscle to remove or install run flats but I haven't heard that they will necessarily be damaged. I had a run flat removed and reinstalled on a different alloy rim (to use as a spare) without any apparent damage -- although I have not had to use it yet. My new "go flat" Michelin's were installed on the original BMW rims so I don't see why you would need to purchase new rims except for a spare. By the way, you can get refurbished OEM alloy rims from Detroit Wheel and Tire for about $150 U.S. plus shipping -- not cheap but much less than the $599 BMW wants. They ship promptly for internet orders.
    I have an '06 325i with sport suspension. I continue to be impressed with the Bridgestone RE050As that came with the car, although they are getting noisier as they accumulate miles (c. 15k). I bought a set of four LM-22 RFTs with 16" rims from TireRack for my first winter in the car, and find that they work well on snow and ice. The car tackled a hill that beat an Acura TL. But I do miss the sharp edginess of the summer tires when I switch over.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    the only time RFTs are damaged during removal is if the operator of the machine is incompetent (not well trained) or if the equipment is not correct.
    I bought a set of four LM-22 RFTs with 16" rims from TireRack for my first winter in the car, and find that they work well on snow and ice

I actually like the look of the snow tires better. They fill out the wheel well. And the BMW wheel discs look great....no big gaps where you can see the dirty insides of the wheel.

We have about 3 inches of snow today so I'll see what happens in real life.

I was told that the run flats will be damaged when removing them from alloy rims. I feel totally cheated by BMW and am preparing to take this to the media.

I asked BMW flat out....why do I need rims, why don't I just change tires?

The answer was I can do that, but first it will cost $200 ($150 U.S.) each time I change over. All tires get ruined to some degree when they are removed or placed on rims. Run Flats even more so, because of the extra strength in the sidewall, so they highly recommend rims.

I don't blame you for being upset but I wonder if any lives have been saved because of run flats? I think I would prefer regular tires, but the thought of changing a tire, on an icy bridge, at midnight, during a blizzard is not too good either. When i think about that, RFTs sound like a good idea!

• tbotttbott Member Posts: 1
    I am new, but have been reading these posts for a while now. I have a 2006 325i sport pkg which means 17' tires. I love the handling of the car, but if the tires get in a groove, the steering gets tricky. BMW dealership now says I need new tires to the cost of $1550 plus alignment. However, I do not know if I want RFT's. I do not want to lose any handling, but I really hate the tire and the fact it "finds" grooves. I'm about through with my warrenty- 48,000 miles. Does anyone have any advice? I don't really worry about snow in Kentucky- I can drive my 4 wheel drive if we have any. I would really like to go to regular tires, and thinking of not getting a spare, just upgrade my AAA to cover towing ;)
  • suttreesuttree Member Posts: 10
    I am on my second 3 series with run-flat tires. Current car is a 328xi 08 Coupe.

The current tires are Continentals.

AND THEY ARE FINE. There is a lot of whining on this thread. I'd ignore most if not all of it.
  • rprice1rprice1 Member Posts: 9
    Switch to a set of good regular (GFT) tires (e.g., Michelin Pilot Sport) and you will find that not only is "groove steering" problem solved but overall handling will be immensely improved and the hard jarring ride will disappear.

rprice
    There is a lot of whining on this thread. I'd ignore most if not all of it.

Your comments are much appreciated. That was my gut feeling, but it is nice to have it confirmed.

My car has the same setup as yours. The RE050As do tramline, and tend to follow any camber changes in the road in a lively manner. You do have to stay on top of the car, but the plus side to this is that they are extremely responsive and grip well.

I recently read a tuner article wherein the writer stated that he had replaced the RE050As on a 135i with Yokohama high performance GFT all seasons. The result was a better ride, but handling feel and ultimate grip were degraded. The writer introduced his comments by stating that he had not realized what an effective performance tire the RE050A was before he made the switch.

The handling compromise of any car results from a number of factors working together. The last thing I'd do is discount the statements made by BMW that they designed their suspension specifically to partner with the RFTs.
  • drivondrivon Member Posts: 1
    I wouldn't ignore it. I'm about to get my third set of RFTs with 29,000 miles on my 328xi. The key is that my 1st 2 were Bridgestones. Dealer nicely replaced the 1st set at no cost because they said it was a known problem. The 2nd set is a different production run so replacement's up to me (at total cost of $1,300). BMW is now recommending Continental. So, it's understandable that drivers whose cars came with Continentals are wondering what all the fuss is about.
  • florida911florida911 Member Posts: 4
    Hello tbott,

I have the same car as you and I bought some Continental Conti Sport (not run flats). I love them. The car runs so much smoother. I highly recommend them. I bought them from a local Tires Plus. I paid less than $700 because of a sale they had going on.
    I have a 2006 325xi with 60k. I started out with the Bridgestone RFTs replaced them with the Continental RFTs which improved the ride quite a bit. Then I put on Michelin Primacy MXV4 all season GFTs. The difference in the ride is immense. No more RFTs.

Regards,
    Kirk
  • carmiccarmic Member Posts: 5
    First, help needed: Anyone have experience with Michelin HP ZP Run Flat Tires?
    Second, comment: Anyone with enough computer savvy to seek help or offer advice here online should know better than to buy tires from BMW instead of tirerack.com!